Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Nevis Lodge: First Steps, Part 2 - To Delve the Dungeon Deep (Inactive)

Game Master Paizo Fan

Map of Asad's Keep - Updated 24/04/2012


151 to 200 of 354 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Kernsten scoops up the items, and adds the money and crown to his backpack. They are held in a bag separate from the rest of his belongings, "Let's share these out when we get back to civilisation. See I put it in the blue sack."

He will also take the waxed tin scroll tube, once people have finished looking at it.

Grand Lodge

Female Human Witch 1

Lillia looks over the items, a green glow emerging from beneath the hair covering the right side of her face.

Detect magic

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Elf Druid (Eagle Shaman)/2

"Well done taking out that skeleton, impressive work."

Crar follows up the narrow path, his senses tuned to anything that might be ahead.

Perception check 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

Latharel hands the quarterstaff to Lillia

"Thanks - I will ask again for it should there be more skeletons - but I admit I prefer my blade."

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Targ will open the door.

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

Latharel has his blade ready to assist Targ with any danger that lurks behind the door.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Kernsten is ready, torch held high to follow Targ and Latharel into battle to defend his friends.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Elf Druid (Eagle Shaman)/2

Crar readies himself as well, grasping one of his amulets and ready to call the forces of nature to summon another zap of lightning.


Lillia detects a faint emanation of magic from the waxed tin scroll tube.

As Targ attempts to open the door, he finds that it is stuck fast.

A Strength check will be sufficient in order to attempt to open it.

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

Latharel puts his shoulder into the door when he sees Targ stuggling to open it.

Strength check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

"It seems to be stuck."

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Targ gives it a try.

Strength check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

I'll help as Kernsten comes forward.

Aid another (Targ) strength check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


Targ manages to crack the door open, the snap of the hinges echoing throughout the silent keep.

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Targ move sin and looks around.
Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Grand Lodge

Female Human Witch 1

Spellcraft 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18 to identify the magic item

Looking over the scroll tube as the others force the door, Lillia glances up at the loud sound.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Kernsten brings the torch forward to see in the new room.

If it is a room.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Elf Druid (Eagle Shaman)/2

Along with the others, Crar tries to keep a sharp eye out for any approaching trouble.

Perception check 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


Rubbish and black mold choke the far end of this chamber. The slightest movement kicks up dust and spores, choking the stagnant and already foul-smelling air.

@ Crar:
Stirring from the rubbish heap are three fire beetles which start to glow as they rouse from their slumber.

@ Lillia:
You recognise the scroll as being a scroll of comprehend languages.

Three beetles are rousing from their slumber, which I think would allow those in the chamber already a surprise round.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Elf Druid (Eagle Shaman)/2

"I see something moving in that rubbish...there! Beetles!"

Crar readies his shortspear to throw at the beetles in defense, but otherwise just begins to edge backwards. "We should leave these beetles alone, they're just creatures. Can anyone see any more chambers branching off this one?"

Prepare action to throw spear at fire beetles if they approach within 10ft of Crar. Otherwise withdraw out of room. Are there any other rooms connecting to this one?

Here is

attack:
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
and
damage:
1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
rolls, if needed.

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

Latharel readies his blade as well

Attack:

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 Damage 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Targ attcks the nearest beetle.

Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Seeing Targ move in and strike out at one of the beetles, Kernsten drops the torch to the floor behind him, letting its orange and yellow flames illuminate the area around him. He draws his battleaxe and waits defensively behind his shield, ready to strike should he be approached by one of the beetles.


The torch isn't required, as the beetles' thorax lights up the room in a soft orange glow. Crar's spear neatly slides between the chitin of the nearest beetle and it twitches twice before falling still. Unfortunately Targ and Latharel's blows catch the rubbish and misses the remaining beetles.

Initiative:
Players: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Beetles: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (17) + 0 = 17

The two remaining beetles attempt to bite their attackers, Targ and Latharel respectively.

Beetle 1 vs Targ, AC 16: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Beetle 1 damage: 1d4 ⇒ 2

Beetle 2 vs Latharel, AC 17: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Beetle 2 damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4

Fortunately for Targ and Latharel, both beetles slip on the black mold and fail to connect with them.

You guys are up now, we're in the new Group Initiative posting so it is post first, act first.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Kernsten moves forward to help his friends, he tries to move into a flanking position, without exposing himself to needless attacks. His flail flies down at the beetle.

Round 1:

Status: Melee
HP: 7/12 AC: 18/11/17 Conditions: None
Attack Flail 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Damage Flail 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Prefer to flank with Targ and hit the beetle he is fighting, but not very fussed.


Kernsten rather messily eliminates one of the beetles by cracking open its carapace.

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

Latharel tries to follow the example of Kernsten.

Attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12 Damage 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

But he seems to struggle to get a clean hit.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Seeing the beetle smashed in front of him, by his trusty flail, Kernsten sounds his triumph"These creatures will fall easily before the hands of Iomedae. Give thanks to her might."

Grand Lodge

Female Human Witch 1

Lillia, finally noticing the commotion in the room, steps towards the doorway to see what is going on. Seeing only a single remaining beetle, she waits.

The Exchange

Not really wishing to harm the beetles except in self-defense, Crar backs away, only using his spear if he needs to defend himself.

withdraw

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Targ tries to smash the last beetle.

Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Draw second weapon


Targ neatly pins the beetle to the ground with his well-placed blow. It appears that all of the beetles are now dead.

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

"Nasty litter things those, wonder what they're doing in here." Kernsten picks up his torch and has a good look round the room, fearing there's a nest or hatchlings or something similar.

Takes a 20 on perception for a 20

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

"The glands still glow. Do we need lighting ?"

The Exchange

Crar kneels down and says a prayer for the departed spirits of the fire beetles, such as they are. "That might be a good idea, Latharel. We don't know how long we'll be in here. Especially, since they've died we should use what we can from them, so that it wasn't in vain." He rattles some of his amulets and prays, punctuated by some odd squawking noises.

What else would an eagle shaman do, besides squawk?

Grand Lodge

Female Human Witch 1

"I can use this scroll to make sense of that mysterious letter," Lillia says, glancing about the nest, "but it might be better to finish exploring first, just in case we come across any more writing we can't translate."

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

"Moving on then?" Targ asks after searching and whatever they found and listens at the next door.

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Hearing nothing, Targ, with weapons ready, tries to open the door without making any noise.

Stealth 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Elf Druid (Eagle Shaman)/2

Crar assists with harvesting the glowing glands from the fire beetles, using one of his daggers. "Who will take one of these?"

Knowledge [nature] check to know correct way to remove glands from beetles 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10


Kernsten locates four half-buried trade agreements as well as a small sack containing 200 silver pieces and a set of bronze bracers.

As Targ moves across the corridor to the next door, he notices that at the end of the corridor is a sinister-looking fountain. A four-headed hydra, displayed in cross formation, protrudes from the middle of the rounded wall. The hydra's heads all face directly down the hallway. Its top head's mouth is firmly shut, its socketed eyes staring darkly down the corridor, and its head fin is flared and up. On that head fin, a single Kelish word is carved into the stone. The other three heads have toothy mouths wide open and reclined head fins; these obviously serves as spouts for the fountain. Just below the mouths is a ceramic basin. The basin has been dry for many long centuries now.

1d6 ⇒ 3

Targ's attempt to open the door stealthily fails miserably as the door hinges shatter from the effort of opening and the door tumbles to the ground with an almighty clatter.

This large room looks like it was once a scribing chamber. The remains of many desks are scattered about, and amid the rubble is a number of long-dried inkwells, other writing utensils, and scraps of paper. These things are covered with black mold and patches of light green mushrooms.

Amid a particularly thick patch of fungus in the southeast sits a pale and crusty froglike humanoid. It trembles and twitches as it stands and lurches forward. His skin is patchy and dry, like a squid left out in the sun and sand. His bulbous eyes open, and light stabs out from them.

Combat Initiatied!

Round 1!

Initiative:
Players: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
??? 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

With a croaking hiss, the creature bounds forward towards Targ and attempts to bite him!

Bite @ Targ, vs. AC 12: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

The creature successfully gets through Targ's defences and gives him a painful bite on the arm, drawing a large amount of blood!

Map updated.

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Targ tries to tumble through that creature's square.
After taking its AoO Targ will move back to make space (south of Lilia).

Acrobatics vs CMD+5 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

Latharel takes a 5 feet step north and tries to gut the creature with his blade.

Attack Curved Blade 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 Damage 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

[ooc]Targ - I don't understand your move. Looked to me as if you where just 5 feet north of me and there was no need to tumble through that creatures square as you would end up in the room. I read it the red square is the creature and I'm now in the spot Targ was before ?[/dice]

Liberty's Edge

Male Human Paladin 1 HPs:7/12 Str: 14/16

Kernsten tries to bash the creature, but find its just out of reach of the attack. Next time he thinks.

Round 1:

Status:
HP: 7/12 AC: 18/11/17 Conditions: None
Attack Flail 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Damage Flail 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Elf Druid (Eagle Shaman)/2

Crar hovers nearby, looking for an opportunity to assist. He also tries to get a look at what they're up against.

Knowledge (nature) check 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Spellcraft check 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

As I see it there is a door in front, so no way to get around it. Giving you space to attack - and Targ wanted to obtain flanking.


Yeah, the map for this module is quite dark which doesn't help things. The creature is at the door to the room, blocking entrance. I'd permit the squares 5' to the north and south to attack but with partial cover.

Sensing weakness, the creature attempts to bite Targ as he tumbles away.

AoO bite, vs AC 16: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
AoO bite damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

With a victorious hiss, the creature takes a large chunk out of Targ's leg. Targ, you are now at 0 HP. Not dead, but restricted to one standard action per round until healed.

As Targ tumbles past, Latharel steps forward to face the beast but his blade misses the creature by a gnat's whisker.

Crar and Lillia can still act if you want to heal Targ. Map updated.

Sczarni

Ranger 1 10/11 HP

Targ - what irritated me was the 'tumbling through' the creatures space. That way you would have had the -5 but would have ended behind the creature - giving me flanking. But you description clearly said you tumbled southward close to Lillia. At least there you can get healing.
The next action from Latharel depends if the creature hits him or not.

"Get ready - I will try to get behind the beast to allow us better fighting. If it takes a bite out of me - so be it."

Just checked back - seems I never updated my profile and I was healed back to full HP directly after the Ghoul fight. So unless something really bad happens - or I see another one in the room - I will tumble in next round.

Grand Lodge

Female Human Witch 1

Lillia reaches out a hand to the badly wounded Targ, allowing her silvery spider to crawl out from her robes and begin to weave a web across the half-orcs injuries.

cure light wounds 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Latharel the Lost wrote:
Targ - what irritated me was the 'tumbling through' the creatures space. That way you would have had the -5 but would have ended behind the creature - giving me flanking. But you description clearly said you tumbled southward close to Lillia. At least there you can get healing.

I think perhaps he was trying to tumble into the room, but failed the check, leaving him outside, and he therefore used the remainder of the move action to make room for the others by moving south.

Shadow Lodge

Male Half-Elf Druid (Eagle Shaman)/2

Thanks, I was having trouble seeing on the map where the entrance was to that room.

This thing is vicious, and fast. Crar thinks as he sees Targ tumble past, badly wounded. Checking to make sure Lillia is looking after the half-orc, Crar moves up, hoping to zap the creature with a lightning arc.

Lightning arc at the thing: ranged touch attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9, electricity damage 1d6 ⇒ 5

Oh no! What a waste of a shot. :P

Sczarni

male Human Ninja (Scout) 2

Targ turns to Lilia, "thank you, that helped, tihs thing is bad....."

That's right, I wanted to go through the square and then as Lilia said.


Lillia heals the injured Targ and Crar's lightning pings off the edge of the door, causing dust to fly up into the air.

Round 1 complete!

Round 2 begins!

With a guttural croak, the creature darts forward to try and bite Latharel.

Bite @ Latharel, vs. AC17: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

However, the beast's mouth clamps shut inches from Latharel's chest. You guys up again. I just noticed this thing has 25 hp!

151 to 200 of 354 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Nevis Lodge: First Steps, Part 2 - To Delve the Dungeon Deep All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.