Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: Beginner Box


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Battles


Pathfinder Comics

Navior's Serpent's Skull

Game Master Navior


8,851 to 8,898 of 8,898 << first < prev | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | next > last >>

Sorcerer (Draconic) 6 Dragon Disciple 1; AC 15 (21), FF 12 (18) T 13 (15); HP 62/62;Perception +6; Spells Lvl 3: 4/4; Lvl 2: 6/6; Lvl 1: 7/7; Cantrip: at will

Let's jump.


M Elf Ranger 6

Moving along sounds good to me.


Douena Trestleben wrote:
Douena would make sure that Sildu was healed up before she communed with Desna at starrise.

No problem.

After a small breakfast, you pack up camp. Regardless of whether the columns produce a portal or just provide you with a map, you'll be moving on, so there's no point keeping the camp in place. Once everything is sorted, the full group of you make your back to the upper levels. It takes a little bit of time to get everyone up there, but eventually you do so and you crowd by the entrance to the room with the pillars and along the walkway outside.

With the knowledge he has gained from the idols downstairs, Urza begins adjusting the positions of the swivelling portions of each column, setting each up so that the holes fall into specific patterns. It's intricate work, so it takes a little while. Pezock begins pacing and grumbling about how long it's taking.

Finally, with the pillars properly set, Urza places each gem in its respective place, one in each of the pillars. When he's done, he steps back out of the way.

Nothing happens at first. "Well?" Pezock grumbles.

But it's only a brief delay, apparently caused by the cloud cover over head, as a moment later, a small break in the clouds allows some sunlight through to touch the column representing the sun. The column begins to glow and then three beams of light streak out from it, one to each of the other three columns. Those columns then emit beams of their own. The beams of light begin to shift about in different directions over the grid in the centre of the room, changing colours from red to yellow to blue to violet. The rain in the air reflects some of the light causing the entire room to become illuminated in shimmering patterns of light.

After a few moments, a beam of light from the northern column pinpoints a location on the grid, and above it a hazy image begins to appear. It shows a jungle-covered valley between two cliffs. But then the jungle fades slightly, becoming transparent. This reveals an ancient city of towering ziggurats and crumbling, vine-choked buildings around a central lake filling the valley and overlapping with the transparent jungle.

"Bah, it is just a map," Pezock grumbles. "I thought maybe we were finally getting somewhere."

Any of you with ranks in Knowledge (geography) can determine that the area pinpointed on the grid appears to be about 20 miles north of your current location.

Those of you with ranks in Knowledge (arcana) can reason that the jungle fading to transparency probably indicates that the area is protected by some sort of illusion making it appear from the outside to be nothing but jungle.


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 3

Douena enjoys the light show but is let down by the ultimate outcome of the process. "Come here so you can go there," she grumbles. "We need to take the stones out again and hide them so no one who comes after us knows where we're headed. Let's drop one down the wasp hole and one in the decapus pit and take the other two with us and find places to hide them, too. Then, in a couple hundred years, some other group of adventurers will probably go looking for them to be judged worthy and make a campaign of it!"


Sorcerer (Draconic) 6 Dragon Disciple 1; AC 15 (21), FF 12 (18) T 13 (15); HP 62/62;Perception +6; Spells Lvl 3: 4/4; Lvl 2: 6/6; Lvl 1: 7/7; Cantrip: at will

"Don't forget that we will be guiding others there once we locate it. Though the illusion does explain why it has been lost for so long."


"Let the guide do the guiding," Pezock says, pointing at Shokambe. "I'm here for adventure and treasure! How long will it take to get to this place? We have wandered far enough for little reward as it is."


"It doesn't seem to be all that far," Sasha says, peering closely at the display. "Assuming I'm understanding this map correctly. Personally, I'm all for Douena's plan of hiding the gems from whoever comes after. We've got all those other groups supposedly following us. Might as well make it as hard as possible for them."


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 3

"Fun!" Douena claps her hands, her good mood restored. "I'm good at hiding things. Sometimes even I can't find them again."


Male Half-Orc Barbarian(Totem Warrior/Invulnerable Rager) : 2 Druid(Wolf Shaman) : 4

"Just write down where they are and give everyone a note of it, and that should help." Makoa suggests as he cracks his neck and gives his a axe a few swings. "Hope we find something good to eat along the way though. Dried rations and jungle fruit aren't very filling."


Sorcerer (Draconic) 6 Dragon Disciple 1; AC 15 (21), FF 12 (18) T 13 (15); HP 62/62;Perception +6; Spells Lvl 3: 4/4; Lvl 2: 6/6; Lvl 1: 7/7; Cantrip: at will

"Or we could just take them with us. That would keep others from following us too soon."


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 3

"They're already going to be following our trail," Douena argues. "Why give them more incentive to attack us? Let them hunt around here for the stones like the snake-person-wizard did. If they find a few of them, that might slow them down for a while, thinking they'll find the rest if they keep looking."

"What about Filgru and Sildu?" she worries. "If the pirates and the Pathfinders and the Asp people all turn up here, they're liable to attack the monkey-people. I told them we'd leave them in peace, but we're likely just to have brought more people to exploit them like Issilgar did. Do you think they'd mind terribly leaving this place and finding somewhere else to live where they're safe?"


"Hard to say," Shokambe says with a shrug. "People can often be very reluctant to leave their homes, even when there's great danger. We might be able to convince them though, or perhaps just to leave temporarily, until the others have come and gone."


"Let's find Sildu and talk to her then," Sasha says. "We'll see what she has to say. Then, Douena, you can go hide the gems and then we can be on our way."


Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 Mahjik may do knowledge checks untrained

Mahjik agrees with Sasha, "Assuming the scales stay constant I could get there today still with a bit of luck and some endurance running. Realistically, and avoiding some obstacles, I estimate about two dozen miles through the jungle."


"Then let's get to it," Sasha says.

You find Sildu and explain the situation to her. She's not all that happy about abandoning Tazion, even temporarily, but also points out that her people have practically abandoned it already. She says she will talk to them and try to convince them to stay away a bit longer to allow the people following you to come and go.

Douena spends some time hiding the gems again (I'll let her decide whereabouts she wants to put them; was the plan to keep one with the party while hiding the others?). Once that's done, you're ready to leave.

"Which way?" Pezock demands of Shokambe. Your guide points in a direction, but before he can say anything, Pezock is striding off that way. "Onwards!" Pezock cries. "Treasure awaits us!" Shokambe hurries to keep up.


Sorcerer (Draconic) 6 Dragon Disciple 1; AC 15 (21), FF 12 (18) T 13 (15); HP 62/62;Perception +6; Spells Lvl 3: 4/4; Lvl 2: 6/6; Lvl 1: 7/7; Cantrip: at will

Yes. Urza will keep one. Urza does not want to part with any of them, but Douena says that Desna likes for people to be able to find places.


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 3

Polyglot:
"There are very bad people after us," Douena explains to Sildu anxiously. "They even killed Jask. Kind of like your Raogru and Issilar: they'd use you to get what they want, especially if they thought you'd seen us. Here," she pulls out her remaining red pearls, "one for you and one for Filgru. Between you, you can explain to the rest of your people. And tell them, we were found worthy. Well," she admits a little grudgingly, "Urza was. So you did your job taking care of the temple until we arrived."

Douena gives the charau-ka two of the red pearls from the Shiv, amid a flood of words. Then she carefully rolls one of the moonstones into the hole through which the wasps are fed, making them its new guardians, and drops the other in the well where the decapus lived. "It's too bad it's not still alive," she regrets. "It would make a good guardian. Too bad we can't go back to that lake -- remember, Pezock? where we burned the boats? -- and sink one right in the middle. That would make a good quest. Oh well. Maybe we'll find somewhere else along the way to hide one of them."

"I wish we had time to write some cryptic clues and hide them as well. Those are always fun. But I guess we'd better go. Everyone always seems to be right behind us somehow, if they aren't ahead of us."


Sildu takes the pearls from Douena, thanks her, and then hurries off to find the rest of her people.

You set out north from Tazion, back into the thick jungle. Although you only have a couple dozen miles at most to go, it's going to take a couple days of travel due to the tough terrain (it's very hilly as you're technically still in the foothills of the mountains to the south) with few trails to follow. As usual, it's hot and humid. Bugs pester you all the way, some of them rather big bugs, but none anywhere near as large as the giant wasps in the temple in Tazion.

The hills become a little more pronounced over the second day of travel and the terrain is somewhat jagged. You find yourselves having to climb over a number of shallow precipices--never more than a few feet in height, but the frequent climbing does become tiring. "There must have been a lot of earthquakes here in the past," Shokambe comments. The jungle remains thick throughout the area. The third day is much the same.

2 LAMASHAN, 4710 (55th day of journey, 4th day since leaving Tazion)

The fourth day starts out the same as the last two, as you continue searching for landforms like what you saw on the map in Tazion. However, in the late morning you emerge rather suddenly from the jungle at the top of a tall cliff. A jungle-covered valley nestles between the cliffs. Even the sides of the cliffs are covered in trees and other fauna. The view is identical to what you saw from the Pillars in Tazion before they revealed the illusion. You're quite certain this is your destination.

From where you stand (towards the southwest side), climbing down to the valley will be difficult, but not impossible. However, from this vantage point, you can see that to the northwest, a thin river meanders gently down into the valley. Following the river will likely be a much easier route, but could take longer as you'll first need to get to the river and then follow its winding course. Alternatively, you could try to find another way down.

We have officially begun City of Seven Spears.


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 3
Navior wrote:
The hills become a little more pronounced over the second day of travel and the terrain is somewhat jagged. You find yourselves having to climb over a number of shallow precipices--never more than a few feet in height, but the frequent climbing does become tiring. "There must have been a lot of earthquakes here in the past," Shokambe comments.

"I wish there'd be an earthquake now," Douena grumbles, climbing over broken ground two-thirds her height. "I've never been in an earthquake."

Navior wrote:
From where you stand (towards the southwest side), climbing down to the valley will be difficult, but not impossible. However, from this vantage point, you can see that to the northwest, a thin river meanders gently down into the valley. Following the river will likely be a much easier route, but could take longer as you'll first need to get to the river and then follow its winding course. Alternatively, you could try to find another way down.

"We should fly down!" Douena opines excitedly, enjoying the view. "Alton can, anyway."


Sorcerer (Draconic) 6 Dragon Disciple 1; AC 15 (21), FF 12 (18) T 13 (15); HP 62/62;Perception +6; Spells Lvl 3: 4/4; Lvl 2: 6/6; Lvl 1: 7/7; Cantrip: at will

"Be careful, Douena, earthquakes can still happen. And Urza is sure that given time, you will fly." Urza looks over the valley. "Let's make our way to the river. It seems safer to me."


M Elf Ranger 6
Douena Trestleben wrote:
"I wish there'd be an earthquake now," Douena grumbles, climbing over broken ground two-thirds her height. "I've never been in an earthquake."

Tar'kanas looks to Douena with a raised eyebrow. "You wish to be in an earthquake? I will confess, I have never met one who desired such. Truly you are...," he pauses, looking for the right word before, "unique," he concludes satisfactorily.


"The river definitely seems our best option," Shokambe says.

Pezock gazes over the edge and the valley below. He nods his agreement. "Let's go."

It takes a couple hours to find your way through the jungle to the river. The quick-moving water is clear and fairly shallow--only two or three feet deep in most places, making it possible to wade through it, which is not only refreshing, but also much easier than pushing through the jungle. The depth provides a bit more difficulty for Douena, who has to not so much wade through it as swim, but this is also not much of a problem.

The river does indeed wind quite a bit, but it makes its way steadily down towards the valley. Eventually, it cascades over a cliff as a light waterfall. The jungle canopy overhead would obscure this location from your previous vantage point over the valley, explaining why you didn't notice it then. The cliff is only about 60 feet high, so nowhere near as high as the cliffs around the valley, but a climb down would be awkward as the rock is wet and slick.

However, a brief look around reveals an heavily overgrown trail leading through the jungle to the bottom of the waterfall. Those of you with ranks in Survival can find indications that this isn't merely an overgrown game trail. There are the barest hints of ancient cobblestone paving, suggesting that this may have once been part of a road.


Mahjik squeezes out excess moisture from his pants. Not so much as to get them dry in the true sense of the words - the humidity is just too high for that - but at least it doesn't weigh down as much anymore. Then he puts his pants back on. "hmmmm... mm. mmmmm..." Mahjik grins as he finds something noteworthy: "Hey Douena, have you walked on a road before that nobody has walked on for centuries? Here, look at this."


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 3

"Where? Those rocks?"


Sorcerer (Draconic) 6 Dragon Disciple 1; AC 15 (21), FF 12 (18) T 13 (15); HP 62/62;Perception +6; Spells Lvl 3: 4/4; Lvl 2: 6/6; Lvl 1: 7/7; Cantrip: at will

"You're right, Mahjik. Makoa, keep with Pezock with you, let's let Douena blaze our trail to the lost city. I think it would bring joy to her and to Desna." It will take us more time, but Douena deserves it.


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 3

It takes constant proddings and directions from those party members who have a better eye for such things, but Douena takes the lead down the broken road.

If it was a trap instead of a trail, she'd be all over it.


"So you suppose its now a vampire snake city? Or did they all die out?"


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 3

"It's awfully sunny here for vampires," Douena replies, eying the sky doubtfully. "Unless they all live underground. Or the illusion blocks the sun as well as people seeing through it. How do you think we'll know when we get to the illusion? Will we bounce off like an invisible wall? Or will we be walking in the city and not see it until we run into a building we don't see?"


"Maybe none of that," Mahjik gives it some thought, "Perhaps the city as a whole is not in the jungle anymore at all, but is in a different reality."


The trail winds down through thick foliage--thick enough that you have to cut your way through in a couple of places. Eventually, it emerges at the bottom of the waterfall. The river splits in two here, one branch heading directly south, the other heading southeast. The trail splits as well and follows both branches of the river.


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 3

"Which way is the invisible city?" Douena asks the others confidently.


"From what we saw in Tazion," Shokambe says, "it looked like the city took up most of the valley, so if I had to guess, I'd say both ways go to the city. They just probably go to different parts."


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 3

"Which road looks main-er? Wider, I mean, like more people would have used it?"


M Elf Ranger 6

Tar'kanas moves to study upon both directions of the trail, attempting to ascertain which path could possibly be used more often.

Survival: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (11) + 15 = 26


"There could be many factors here - the more traveled road might also be the smaller one. For example if they had a ceremonial progression street that is only used by elite or-and religious activities." Mahjik suggests, "Why don't you let Desna decide? All other things being equal, maybe she's got a preference?" Just to be safe, Mahjik eyes in both directions to see if he can spot a butterfly.


Male Half-Orc Barbarian(Totem Warrior/Invulnerable Rager) : 2 Druid(Wolf Shaman) : 4

"Douena could spin her Desnan symbol and we can take the trail it points too." The half-Orc offers as he keeps an eye on the less than mentally stable tengu.


Tar'kanas wrote:

Tar'kanas moves to study upon both directions of the trail, attempting to ascertain which path could possibly be used more often.

[dice=Survival]1d20+15

Neither trail appears to have been used in a very long time, except by animals coming to the river to drink. It's been so long, it's impossible to say which was the more widely used trail.


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 3

Meh. I hate fake choices. I was actually wondering which road was physically wider by measurement vs. narrower, not more used vs. less used, but I don't suppose we can tell a difference that way, either. 1 is south; 2 is southeast. 1d2 ⇒ 2


"This way then," Pezock says, following an indication from Douena. He takes off to the southeast. The river soon turns to a more direct east route, then back southeast, and then due south. At first, the road you're following remains just as difficult to see as when you first discovered it, but as the river winds, the road becomes gradually more and more apparent. The stones that form it become large and more plentiful. It still remains ruined and overgrown, but nonetheless in remarkable condition considering how ancient it must be. It's not long before you no longer need people with tracking skills to see it.

Eventually, the strangely preserved road leads into a narrow cleft in the jungle-choked ridges, forcing the river into a swiftly flowing rapid through the gorge. The road splits again here, offering two methods onward. One route goes down to the bottom of the gorge to a slippery-looking path of wooden bridges connecting large rocks jutting out of the river. The second continues to the top of the gorge where a rickety rope bridge swings in the air. Both routes reconnect on the other side of the river.


Sorcerer (Draconic) 6 Dragon Disciple 1; AC 15 (21), FF 12 (18) T 13 (15); HP 62/62;Perception +6; Spells Lvl 3: 4/4; Lvl 2: 6/6; Lvl 1: 7/7; Cantrip: at will

"Urza would like to try the top of the gorge. We might get a good view from there."


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 3

"We might have a good fall from there. Are you better at swimming or flying?" Douena asks somewhat flippantly, trusting her own dexterity to cross either bridge -- and her own light weight if the rope bridge is as old as the cobblestone road.

Frankly, I don't think either wood or rope would survive the requisite number of centuries. Hopefully, it's either magic wood or rope, or it's been maintained by someone since the city was lost.


"We can take a look at both of them. We should have enough rope to secure ourselves; so I think Urza may be on to something with going for the high vantage point."


"We could split up and half go one way and half the other," Lorenz suggests. "Of course, if anyone at the top falls, they might fall on someone at the bottom." He frowns. "Maybe that's not such a good idea. I think maybe Douena's right. We should go to the bottom."


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 3

Douena is so pleased by the rare event of Lorenz's agreeing with her that she doesn't even notice that that's not exactly what she had said. "Rope and the low road," she agrees. "We can always go up to the top and see what there is to see from up there without crossing the bridge, on this side of the river or the other. Besides, if the city's invisible there won't be anything for us to see from up there ... but if anyone's watching from inside the city, they may see us on the high road."


Sorcerer (Draconic) 6 Dragon Disciple 1; AC 15 (21), FF 12 (18) T 13 (15); HP 62/62;Perception +6; Spells Lvl 3: 4/4; Lvl 2: 6/6; Lvl 1: 7/7; Cantrip: at will

"Douena has changed Urza's mind. Urza would now like to go through the gorge rather than over it."


"Very well then," Pezock says. "We go down!" With his sword pointing the way in front of him, Pezock turns down the path to the bottom of the gorge and leads the way.

I'm still getting the map for this put together. I'll have it up tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.


Onwards the go, Mahjik hums a chanty of sorts, except it sounds foreign due to the Vudrani melody. The melody itself, though, seems oddly fitting for the jungle.


M Elf Ranger 6

"Down it is. Come, Untari." Tar'kanas heads in that direction, Untari close behind.

8,851 to 8,898 of 8,898 << first < prev | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Serpent's Skull All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.
Recent threads in Play-by-Post

©2002–2015 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.