Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Navior's Serpent's Skull

Game Master Navior


6,801 to 6,850 of 8,453 << first < prev | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | next > last >>

Sorcerer (Draconic) 6; AC 14 (18), FF 12 (16) T 12; HP 45/47;Perception +6; Spells Lvl 3: 2/4; Lvl 2: 5/6; Lvl 1: 3/7; Cantrip: at will

Looking worriedly at the vultures, particularly the giant vultures . "So do you think they'll let us rest through the night?"


Male Human (Andoran) Fighter Lvl 5

"Good question. If they're going to attack us, I wish they'd just do it already. I guess I could shoot at them with my bow and see if that'll drive them off." Lorenz has had his bow in his hands since Alton's kill had been snatched from him.


"It might not be a bad idea," Shokambe says. "I get the impression they're trying to gather the courage to attack. If we seem ferocious enough, we might--" Before he can finish the sentence, the giant vultures dive at the group.

Douena Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Lorenz Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Mahjik Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Makoa Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Urza Initiative: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Ishirou Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Jask Initiative: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (8) + 0 = 8
Pezock Initiative: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Sasha Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Shokambe Initiative, favoured terrain: 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 1 + 2 = 23
Giant Vultures Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Order: Urza, Shokambe, Pezock, Ishirou, Lorenz, Sasha, Makoa, Douena, Jask, Mahjik, Giant Vultures.

ROUND 1

CURRENT EFFECTS:
None. (It's been quite a few hours since last battle, so even mage armour spells have worn off.)

First Up: Urza

New Map: "Vulture Attack"
Note:
The numbers to the side of each vulture indicate how high in the air the vulture currently is. The number in the bottom right corner of each vulture indicates, as usual, which vulture is which.


Conveniently the dice conspire to grant us the XP we need to level! Yay :D ...now to survive it all...


Sorcerer (Draconic) 6; AC 14 (18), FF 12 (16) T 12; HP 45/47;Perception +6; Spells Lvl 3: 2/4; Lvl 2: 5/6; Lvl 1: 3/7; Cantrip: at will

Urza will ready an action to blast the first vulture to get within 30' of him.

Scorching Ray: RTouch
to hit 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22 damage 4d6 + 5 ⇒ (6, 5, 4, 3) + 5 = 23


"Never mind," Shokambe finishes off as the vultures dive. He pulls out his mace and waits. Ready action to attack if one comes in reach.

Pezock already has his sword out, so simply waits. Ishirou pulls out his katana and does likewise. Both are readying for one to come in reach.

Next Up: Lorenz, Sasha, Makoa, Douena, Jask, Mahjik, Giant Vultures, Urza (subject to readied action), Shokambe (subject to readied action), Pezock (subject to readied action), Ishirou (subject to readied action).


Male Human (Andoran) Fighter Lvl 5

Round 1: HP = 36/36 :: AC = 21 :: Touch = 14 :: Flatfooted = 18

"Damn it," Lorenz says as he pivots and aims at the bird that seems closest to him. He wastes no time in firing two arrows, aiming for the breast.

Rapid Shot Deadly Aim Arrow 1 at 01: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 5 - 1 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 2 = 13

Rapid Shot Deadly Aim Arrow 2 at 01: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (4) + 5 - 1 = 8
Damage: 1d8 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 2 = 7


Lorenz's first arrow lodges into the vulture's wing, causing it to screech in agony, but not stop its approach. The second arrow is at too much of an angle and passes well to the side of the bird.

"I hate fighting flying creatures," Sasha mutters, pulling out her weapons. Then she waits. Ready action for one to come in reach.

Next Up: Makoa, Douena, Jask, Mahjik, Giant Vultures, Urza (subject to readied action), Shokambe (subject to readied action), Pezock (subject to readied action), Ishirou (subject to readied action), Lorenz, Sasha (subject to readied action).


Given Dragonborn's connectivity issues, I'm going to go ahead and bot Makoa for him, especially since he really doesn't have a lot of options other than to do what almost everyone else is doing: ready an action.

Makoa pulls out an axe and prepares for the vultures to come close.

Next Up: Douena, Jask, Mahjik, Giant Vultures, Urza (subject to readied action), Shokambe (subject to readied action), Pezock (subject to readied action), Ishirou (subject to readied action), Lorenz, Sasha (subject to readied action), Makoa (subject to readied action).


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 2

Douena draws her starknife and moves about equidistant between Sasha and Pezock, the two most likely, in her experience, to get themselves almost killed; Jask will have to take care of Ishirou, she decides, glancing down to the other end of the group.

Draw starknife; move to G49


Jask steps up to Ishirou (5-ft step to G43) and places his hand on the Tien man's shoulder. "Nethys protect you," he says. Casts shield of faith on Ishirou.

Next Up: Mahjik, Giant Vultures, Urza (subject to readied action), Shokambe (subject to readied action), Pezock (subject to readied action), Ishirou (subject to readied action), Lorenz, Sasha (subject to readied action), Makoa (subject to readied action), Douena, Jask.

Map Updated


AC 20; HP 42/42

Mahjik moves next to Pezock F51 and crouches a bit, the tendons in his legs become taut as he prepares a debilitating kick on the first vulture to come into his range.

Read action: attack, power attack, stunning fist DC 16 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 7 - 2 = 22 damage 1d8 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 1 + 4 = 13


Just a reminder to everyone that Douena has requested that readied actions be spoilered. :)

The vultures swoop down at the party members, who unleash a flurry of attacks in return.

Each vulture is doing a charging dive. #1 to E-F 40-41. #2 to I-J 42-43. #3 to K-L 47-48. #4 to D-E 52-54. Ishirou's, Makoa's, Urza's, and Mahjik's AoO's are activated.

Ishirou katana at #1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25 -- hit
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Makoa axe at #2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 -- miss
Vulture #4 Fortitude: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11 -- fail

A blast of flame shoots from Urza's fingertips as the vulture barrels towards him. The flames engulf the bird, burning away feathers. The vulture screams as it continues its dive. Nearby the other vultures finish their descents. Ishirou's katana cuts deeply into the chest of #1. Makoa swings at #2, but the bird is still a bit too high. Mahjik's foot connects with the side of #4's neck, knocking it sideways. The stunned bird drops out the rest of the way to the ground (which is only a further 5 feet) and is prone.

Vulture #1 charging bite at Ishirou: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 7 + 2 = 16 -- miss
Vulture #2 charging bite at Makoa: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 7 + 2 = 20 -- hit
Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Vulture #3 charge bite at Urza: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 7 + 2 = 23 -- hit
Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

#1's beak is repelled by the mystical shield now surrounding Ishirou. #2 and #3, however, each land a bite on their targets, puncturing skin and drawing blood.

ROUND 2

CURRENT EFFECTS:
Shield of faith (Ishirou)

Shokambe quickly moves to the stunned one flopping on the ground (move to D51).

Shokambe heavy mace at #4: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18 -- hit
Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

He brings his mace down hard on its head. It clearly hurts the vulture but is not yet enough to knock it out. Pezock moves up (to F53).

Pezock sawtooth sabre at #4: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12 -- hit
Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (5) + 2 + (4, 4) = 15

The tengu swipes his sword along the vulture's neck and back, cutting open a wide gash. The stunned bird is still conscious, barely clinging to life.

Next Up: Lorenz, Sasha, Douena, Jask, Urza, Ishirou, Makoa, Mahjik, Giant Vultures, Shokambe, Pezock.

Map Updated


Male Human (Andoran) Fighter Lvl 5

Round 2: HP = 36/36 :: AC = 21 :: Touch = 14 :: Flatfooted = 18

Lorenz steps a little closer to the bird he's already injured and focuses his shots on it.

Five-Foot step to F45.
Point Blank Rapid Shot Deadly Aim Arrow 1 at 01: 1d20 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 6 - 1 = 18
Damage: 1d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 2 = 14

Rapid Shot Deadly Aim Arrow 2 at 01: 1d20 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 6 - 1 = 17
Damage: 1d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 2 = 10

If the first shot happens to kill 01, he'll shoot the second at 02.


Sorcerer (Draconic) 6; AC 14 (18), FF 12 (16) T 12; HP 45/47;Perception +6; Spells Lvl 3: 2/4; Lvl 2: 5/6; Lvl 1: 3/7; Cantrip: at will

AC 14, FF 12 T 12; HP 22/32
Lvl 2: 1/4; Lvl 1: 3/7; Cantrip: at will [/ooc ]

Urza scrambles away from [ooc]5' step to I46 the giant bird while spewing forth more flame.

Scorching Ray: RTouch
to hit 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 damage 4d6 + 5 ⇒ (3, 2, 4, 1) + 5 = 15


In rapid succession, Lorenz fires off two arrows. The first tears across the side of #1's neck. The second land right in the middle of the forehead. While the vulture might have survived either one by itself, the two shots together finish it off.

Cautioning Alton to stay put, Sasha heads over to assist Urza with #3 (move to J48)

Sasha rapier at #3: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18 -- hit
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

She stabs at the vulture with her rapier, getting a grazing cut along the wing.

Next Up: Douena, Jask, Urza, Ishirou, Makoa, Mahjik, Giant Vultures, Shokambe, Pezock, Lorenz, Sasha.

Map Updated


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 2

Douena steps closer to Mahjik and pats him on the leg. "Desna guide your fists," she urges him. "Punch it like you did the beetle!"

Step to G 50; Bit of Luck on Mahjik


As Mahjik feels divine luck fill his form, Jask pulls out his dagger and holds it out. "Nethys, guide this blade."

Jask hand of the acolyte at #2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 -- hit, critical threat
Jask critical confirm: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 -- confirmed
Damage: 2d4 - 2 ⇒ (3, 2) - 2 = 3

The dagger shoots out and slices across the top of #2's head. It then returns to Jask's outstretched hand.

Urza steps away from #3 and sends another blast of flame at it. With a screech, the bird falls to the ground, burnt feathers billowing out like a cloud of dust.

Ishirou carefully circles around #2 move to K41 and attacks. (Note that he is not actually flanking as the bird is 1 square up.)

Ishirou katana at #2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 -- miss

He swings too low and vulture easily avoids.

Next Up: Makoa, Mahjik, Giant Vultures, Shokambe, Pezock, Lorenz, Sasha, Douena, Jask, Urza, Ishirou.

Map Updated


Way to go Nethys!

"Nice! Try to focus on few creatures at a time - they appear to be really tough for birds."


I'm going to go ahead and bot Makoa again.

Makoa axe at #2, Power Attack: 1d20 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 6 - 1 = 17 -- hit
Damage: 1d6 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 3 + 2 = 11

Makoa raises his axe and slashes it along #2's chest and wing.

Next Up: Mahjik, Giant Vultures, Shokambe, Pezock, Lorenz, Sasha, Douena, Jask, Urza, Ishirou, Makoa.


Mahjik hammers the vulture before him.

Attack, power attack 1d20 + 5 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 5 - 2 = 20 damage 1d8 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 1 + 4 = 9
Attack, power attack, reroll 1d20 + 5 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 5 - 2 = 16

Attack, power attack 1d20 + 5 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 - 2 = 19 damage 1d8 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 1 + 4 = 12
Attack, power attack, reroll 1d20 + 5 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 5 - 2 = 18

Should it be down after the first attack, he'll proceed to the nearest not-downed one.


Just as #4 is recovering from the stunning blow Mahjik hit it with previously, Mahjik drives his foot into its neck. The sound of cracking bones accompanies the attack. The bird lies still. Mahjik hurries over to the remaining vulture. (I've put him at I44.)

The final vulture squawks in a terrified manner, loops around in the air, and heads back upwards into the sky and away. Withdraw action to G-H 32-33, 50 ft up.

The vulture is just going to fly away. However, if anyone wants to take a parting shot or two, feel free to do so. If not, it flies off into the distance and you don't see it again.

Map Updated


Male Human (Andoran) Fighter Lvl 5

Lorenz raises his bow and pauses. "Should I shoot or should we let him go?"


Sorcerer (Draconic) 6; AC 14 (18), FF 12 (16) T 12; HP 45/47;Perception +6; Spells Lvl 3: 2/4; Lvl 2: 5/6; Lvl 1: 3/7; Cantrip: at will

"Conserve your arrows. We may yet have need of them. Besides, in its weakened state, it is vulnerable to the opportunistic predations of its brethren."


Male Human (Andoran) Fighter Lvl 5

Lorenz nods. "Good point." He keeps his bow out in case more stupid birds try to attack them but otherwise does not attempt another strike at the one in retreat.


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 2

"Big Flappy tried to fly away," Douena points out darkly under her breath. She looks around at the carcasses and sighs. "We need to start fighting things that like treasure, not birds and gorilla-bears. All they leave behind is meat. And we're going to have to move again, or these vultures will just attract more vultures and we'll have to start all over again."

Suggest we move before starrise so whatever comes to eat these doesn't try to eat us, too.


"We'd have to find the time to look inside places. Very few creatures travel about with their treasures at hand."


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 2

"We do," Douena says pointedly, patting her backpack.


"True, but you wouldn't want us to be attacked, killed and have our stuff taken."


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 2

"But if we were attacking us, we'd deserve it. We'd be forced to stop ourselves for the good of everyone before we harmed innocent passersby not as well-prepared as ourselves. And we'd be justified in taking our stuff so we could use it to stop bad people like ourselves. Ooh! And then I'd have two monkey heads!"


"No, you'd have taken one of yourself, so you'd end up with one," Mahjik says, a slight twitch in his one eyebrow. Then he turns away and a whole avalanche of huh gallops across his face.


Male Human (Andoran) Fighter Lvl 5

Like many of conversations between Douena and Mahjik, this one was beginning to hurt Lorenz's head. He wanders over to one of the birds, curious as to whether they had any meat on them for the cookfire. He was in the mood for some chicken that night.


Pezock stares after the retreating vulture for a moment. "We should have killed it," he mutters. Then, he's distracted by Mahjik and Douena's conversation.

"Why would we ever attack and kill ourselves?" he says. "That makes no sense. I might attack you, or you might attack me, but I can't attack myself! Well, not if I have any sense I wouldn't." Shaking his head, he turns and starts out across the plain again.


Lorenz Aeryson wrote:
Like many of conversations between Douena and Mahjik, this one was beginning to hurt Lorenz's head. He wanders over to one of the birds, curious as to whether they had any meat on them for the cookfire. He was in the mood for some chicken that night.

The giant vultures certainly have quite a bit of meat on them. They could easily feed the party that night. If you wish to take one along for food, Shokambe and Ishirou will help. I must admit, I know nothing about what vulture meat is like, but I'm assuming giant ones would have a lot of it.

Once you're out of the way, the remaining scavenger birds that were circling above you dive down to feast on the remains of the giant vultures you've left behind. That keeps you clear of vultures while you find yourself a place to camp a sizable distance away.

Once camp is set up, Jask begins the task of cooking dinner and you settle down to relax for the night.


Male Human (Andoran) Fighter Lvl 5

Once dinner is ready...

As Lorenz lifts a bite of steaming bird flesh, he stares at it for a moment before shaking his head.

"If vultures are carrion birds for eating carrion...what does it makes us if we eat vultures? Carrion carrion eaters?" He takes a bite and then shrugs. "Well, it's better than rat, anyway."


Sasha frowns as she bites into her piece. "Better than rat, maybe," she says, "but still leaves a lot to be desired." She takes another bite and grimaces.

She breaks off a large chunk and tosses it to Alton, who gobbles it up greedily. The flappybite then looks expectantly at Sasha, a bit of grease dripping from his beak. "Well, Alton likes it at least." Sasha tosses him another piece.


"I've never been a fan of bird," Pezock says in the middle of eating his share. "Fish is better! Or antelope. But it'll do." Despite his words, he finishes off every last bit of his share very quickly.


Sorcerer (Draconic) 6; AC 14 (18), FF 12 (16) T 12; HP 45/47;Perception +6; Spells Lvl 3: 2/4; Lvl 2: 5/6; Lvl 1: 3/7; Cantrip: at will

After a couple of mouthfuls, Urza comments. "Well I like it better than flappy-bite. Though it could use some tobasco."


"Do you think they thought of us as carrion?"


"They certainly tried to make us carrion," Shokambe replies. "Somewhat unusual behaviour, but not unheard of in the bigger ones. Now that they are carrion themselves, their bodies should satisfy the smaller ones for a little while. It seems the small ones were wise to follow us. We provided them with their meal as they'd hoped." He smiles and goes back to whittling at his latest work, very carefully chipping away at a thin, delicate part of the wood that seems to be emerging as a wing of some sort.


After dinner, you settle down for a peaceful night. The starry sky and large, approaching-full moon keep the night bright. As Douena settles down to meditate and prepare her spells, she's fairly certain she notices a shooting star zip across the sky to the north. The night otherwise passes uneventfully. There's even a hint of a cool breeze to help everyone sleep more soundly.

20 ARODUS, 4710 (12th day of journey)

DAY'S XP: 800 each (current total: 15279) Welcome to level 5!


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 2

"Did you see the shooting star?" she asks excitedly. "That means good luck!"

Spells Prepared:
level 2: grace, returning weapon + aid
level 1: endure elements, sanctuary, shield of faith + expeditious retreat
level 0: create water, light, resistance, stabilize


"Good luck is good indeed. Perhaps it was meant to show us the way to go? Does Desna do that?"


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 2

"Desna does everything," she assures him breezily. "Shokambe, are we going that way?" She points to the sky in the general direction she saw the star fall.


Male Human (Andoran) Fighter Lvl 5

Lorenz frowns in the direction Douena's pointing to. He didn't have much a head for history, but even he knew that things falling from the heavens weren't exactly heralds of good times. He wondered if someone else had once made a similar announcement in the moments before the earthfall forever destroyed the world as it had been known.

He knew enough to keep such musings to himself, however.


Shokambe gazes in the direction Douena is pointing. "Rougly," he says with a nod. "Although not immediately. We have to circle around because of the mountains."


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 2

"We wouldn't have to circle if we could fly," she sighs disconsolately, watching the guide whittle.


You set out across the M'Neri Plains again, heading east once more, rather than the northeast indicated by the shooting star. The day is hot and muggy, as usual, but not the worst it's been. A few vultures circle lazily overhead most of the day, but no giant ones join them, and none of them attempt to attack you. There's a brief moment of excitement when Alton decides to attack the vultures, but it's over quickly as the vultures scatter and don't return for several hours. Alton does not manage to acquire a meal from the vultures, so instead returns to his usual hunting of small ground game.

You camp that evening on a small hillock. It's a surprisingly cool evening, making sleep come easily and more comfortably.

Day 13 Random Encounter 15%: 1d100 ⇒ 66
Day 14 Random Encounter 15%: 1d100 ⇒ 56
No encounters.

21 ARODUS, 4710 (13th day of journey)

The next morning, Shokambe presents Douena with his latest carving: a small, delicate butterfly. "It seems the wood finally wanted to be something other than a monkey," he says. "Be careful with the wings. They're delicate."


Female Gnome Cleric 4/ Rogue (burglar) 2

Douena squeals with delight as she carefully takes the butterfly from Shokambe. "It's the traveling," she confides in the guide. "When it stays in one place too long, the wood loses its sense of imagination. That's why as long as it's rooted in the ground, it just keeps growing into a tree; it's not until you take it away from the tree that it even starts thinking about being a monkey! It's like Sir Ralph: If he just sat on the grass day after day, he'd stay grass-colored all the time and get bored; he has to keep moving around to stay interesting."


Shokambe smirks. "I have never thought of it that way before," he confesses. "It is a very interesting idea." He pulls out another chunk of wood from his pack. "This is the last of my wood until we reach Kalabuto, where I can acquire more. I wonder what it wishes to be." He tosses the wood up and catches it with his other hand, then wanders off, a thoughtful look on his face.

6,801 to 6,850 of 8,453 << first < prev | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Serpent's Skull All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.