Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Navior's Jade Regent (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


401 to 450 of 3,213 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

"I'm in favor of going as far as we can toward the goblin village today still - camping out in the wilderness. Walthus should be fine here on his own. But if nobody is keen on that - I'll settle for sleeping here."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2
Corinna Valdemar wrote:
Navior wrote:
Corinna Valdemar wrote:
Aago Belwas wrote:


What time of day is it now?
Three miles to the road, some unspecified distance to the bridge with the goblin ambush, 30 minutes to the second bridge, another 20 minutes to the third bridge, another half an hour to the Warden's house, plus the time we've spent here. We started sometime in the morning, so can't be too late in the day.
It's a little after three in the afternoon now.
Approximately how long is the actual travel time to Sandpoint, barring random encounters?
Navior when we were leaving Sandpoint wrote:
With everyone ready (although Corinna perhaps still a little uncertain about what she's doing), you set out to the bridge across to the Lost Coast Road. The journey south is quite easy. In a straight line, it's just under two miles; however, the road goes in anything but a straight line, so you actually end up travelling closer to three miles before you can see the twisted Brinestump Marsh ahead of you. The road turns to the east to go around the swamp, but a smaller trail continues straight ahead and into the swamp. You see Malan standing at the edge of this trail, waiting for you all to arrive.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the way back to the main road is all the way back to where we met Malan waiting for us just outside Sandpoint. We would literally be getting to this new road that leads to the goblin village just before sunset. At that point, we have the choice of camping on the road in the swamp or traveling the additional three miles (less than an hour) to Sandpoint to spend the night. Either way, we're not getting to the goblin village before dark. If all this is correct, then Corinna votes to go back to Sandpoint.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"Mr. Proudstump," she turns toward the weary halfling, "how long would it take us to get to the goblin village cutting through the swamp from here? And how long would it take going back and taking the road?"

I'm pretty sure at least some of us are operating under incorrect assumptions about how close we are to our goal.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"Okay, let's look at all three options, then, and no, Aago, I'm not about to muddy the waters further, I just don't think we're all thinking the same three things. Option one is to stay here tonight, then head back to the main road in the morning to find other fishy trail. Option two is to start that same journey now, arriving at the goblin village in the dark where they have an even greater distinct advantage. Option three is to go back to Sandpoint tonight, traveling an extra three miles out of our way, then leave Sandpoint early in the morning, escort a healer back here, then we all leave and go to the goblin village, again arriving at night. That's the option you're arguing for so strongly, Corrina."

"I suggest a fourth and most sensible one. We return to Sandpoint now, taking Mr. Proudstump with us on Umbral's back. Leaving him in Sandpoint with Father Zantus, we head back out first thing in the morning, and, having not had to make the trip from the road to here and back, we'll arrive at the goblin village during the daylight. That's the one I vote for, Aago."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"That's a very reasonable suggestion," Corinna replies immediately. "I vote for number four, too. That is, if we can persuade Warden Proudstump that his home will be safe in his absence, and if the healers are quite certain he can travel without danger." She looks inquiringly at the Blue Rajah.


Corinna Valdemar wrote:

"Mr. Proudstump," she turns toward the weary halfling, "how long would it take us to get to the goblin village cutting through the swamp from here? And how long would it take going back and taking the road?"

I'm pretty sure at least some of us are operating under incorrect assumptions about how close we are to our goal.

Walthus rubs his forehead. "Following the trails, it will take you about three hours, maybe a little less. If you could speed up your gnome friend there, you could possibly make it in two hours. Cutting across the swamp with a guide would take you at least four and a half hours, probably five or more. I know it may seem counter-intuitive, but going directly from Sandpoint to the goblin village will actually take less time than going from here even though Sandpoint is farther away. The marsh slows you down a lot. So if you don't want to go to the village right away, you're probably better off going back to Sandpoint tonight."

He sighs and rubs his forehead a bit more. "I suppose it makes sense for you to take me to Sandpoint for healing. I'm concerned about leaving my home for an extended period of time, but there may be little other choice. I'm not in any state to defend it anyway. If you decide to return to Sandpoint, I will go with. Just allow me some time to make sure my snakes are fed before we leave."


Aago sighs. "Regardless of which option everyone chooses, we need to have a guide. That's why we're out here in the first place. I'll be downstairs with the elf. Let us know what you decide."

He shakes his head and stomps out of the room, disgusted at the realization that he'd rather be with the elf than the rest of the group at this point.

Outside he nods to Malan.

Malan:

"I must admit, they're the most irritating bunch of people I've encountered in quite a while. I almost wish I'd not bothered coming back to Sandpoint. Most of them seem to want to run back to town. If we do end up doing that, with luck maybe we can convince them to stay and replace them with a few people who have a little iron in their backbone rather than clay."

Aago leans back against the wall and studies Malan more closely. "So, how do you know Shalelu, anyway?"


Male Human Cleric 2; AC 15; Hp's 15/15

Rajah smiles real big at Gil's idea, then watches the whiny Aago pout his way downstairs. "I say! That is a fan-tastic idea! Well done, my good gnome! I knew if we gave it a bit, there would come a sensible conclusion." Then turning his attention to Walthus, "Feed your snakes, my good halfling, then we can be off as soon as you're ready. If you are in need of help, I would be more than willing to aid you. I don't know much about feeding snakes, but, the last thing we need is for you to get accidentally bit by one."


"Don't worry, I know how to handle them, and they know me," Walthus says. "It's probably best that you stay back a bit." He swings slowly round on the bed and puts his feet down on the floor. After a deep breath, he stands up and starts heading towards the stairs. "This shouldn't take more than a few minutes."


Malan turns when he sees Aago return to the door. "That is a tale for another time I think." He returns his gaze outside to watch for trouble. "But I will say that even though Sandpoint is not my home and the people their are not my friends, but I am willing to risk my life for them because she asked me to. I heard some of what was said up there. If they choose to return to town, I will continue on to the goblin lair without them."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2
Navior wrote:
"Don't worry, I know how to handle them, and they know me," Walthus says. "It's probably best that you stay back a bit." He swings slowly round on the bed and puts his feet down on the floor. After a deep breath, he stands up and starts heading towards the stairs. "This shouldn't take more than a few minutes."

"Ergh." Corinna's skin visibly crawls. "I'll just stay up here then, shall I? Snakes can't climb stairs, can they?" she whispers to the others.


Once down the stairs, Walthus goes first to the room with the caged animals. He comes back out a minute later with a cage of mice. He then takes the cage into the garden where he sets to work. If anybody watches, they see that he moves slowly through the garden making clicking sounds. When a snake reveals itself, he retrieves a mouse from the cage and drops it right in front of the snake. The snakes are not giant, huge things that people might have been expecting. Actually, they're rather small and you're not sure how each one is supposed to be able to eat a mouse--until you actually see one of them with a mouse-shaped bulge in it.

As Walthus moves through the garden, he occasionally finds a dead snake. Altogether, there are only three left living. When they are fed, Walthus sadly returns the remaining three mice to the storage room.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"I'm sorry, Walthus. Did the creature get your snakes, too?"

---

Gilfroy heads off to find Aago and Malan. "We're heading back to Sandpoint for several reasons, but mainly because Walthus needs better healing than we can give him if he is to be our guide to the goblin village, and he can probably get that from Father Zantos in town. Also, if you think about it, we'll save more time leaving from Sandpoint in the morning than we will leaving from here. Leaving now, really, is just silly, though. It's not a matter of courage - goodness knows I've been proven to have none of that today - but attacking the goblins in their own territory at night when they will have a supreme advantage in tactics is just foolish."


Malan (Before Gil comes out):
Aago looks steadily at Malan for a moment and then turns to stare into the swamp.

Finally he speaks. "I agree with what Shalelu said: We're better off with numbers. But so far several of the others seem to be arguing with me just for the sake of arguing. That fellow with the ridiculous name in particular! It's worse than my brothers and sisters ever were. So I suppose if it comes to that, I'll go with you."


As Gilfroy steps out of the house and explains the party's decision, Aago glances at Malan a moment and then turns back the gnome.

"I don't understand what you mean about Walthus needing healing. I thought he said he'd feel better in the morning. Lady Corinna seemed to think otherwise but when I asked her about her skills in doctoring, she said she didn't have any. Does he have some sickness? He just looks tired to me."


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"Lady Corinna wants to return to Sandpoint so she can sleep in a cushy bed and get a hot meal. I have no illusions about that. That's not why we're returning. Walthus is suffering from severe blood loss, a more severe condition than my own. That type of damage can't be healed by simple wound spells, and it doesn't go away with a few hours sleep. My damage probably will recover given a little sleep, but he needs days of care, or more powerful magic than we have."


Aago looks surprised. "Really? Now that's the first reasonable explanation I've heard so far."

He turns to look at Malan. "What do you think? I must admit, a guide who actually knows the swamp would be useful not only for finding the goblins but being able to take full strategic advantage of the terrain."


"The goblins have attacked the town of Sandpoint armed with fireworks and stole dogs. I think everyone here realizes how unusual that is. Not even Master Proustumps serious injuries change that nor do they alter the mission we have been given, at least in my estimation. I have heard nothing here that has changed my mind. When we come to the fork in the trail, I will follow it to the goblin lair."


"You must be very confident in your abilities," Walthus says to Malan, collapsing onto the settee by the front door. "I presume you aren't planning on just walking into the village and attacking them. I haven't met very many people who could take on a whole goblin village alone and come out alive. I don't think even Shalelu would take that risk. But no, you look like an intelligent person. I'm sure you intend something subtler. Are you familiar with the swamp and its layout? Because I assure you, the goblins are very familiar with it. And they're very good at hiding and setting up ambushes. Honestly, strength in numbers is very much what you need."


"Melon is with Malan," Melon throws in. She grins, happy at her own wit. "Walthus is competent and capable, even if he's suffering severely from the onslaught of the -... thing. I'm sure he can rest overnight, while we can explore the goblin village and find out what's going on. Once we see what's going on we can always track back and pick up Walthus then, or if things look favorable we can first take on the goblin village and then come back for him and return to Sandpoint." She shrugs, "Who knows? Maybe it'll only be a couple of days for Walthus to recover. You know, I think my diagnosis is good, but healing is an art, not a science. So my guess could be way off."


"Yes. Something more subtle. Our mission does not necessarily require us to kill the goblins. All we need is to gather information." Malan seems rather sure of himself.


Aago blinks when Walthus and Melon suddenly shows up out of nowhere. He shakes his head and tries to process what Melon just said.

"Well, Gilfroy, it looks like you, Rajah and Lady Corinna will be escorting Walthus back to Sandpoint while Melon, Malan and I continue on toward the village. Three isn't the ideal number for moving on but it's definitely better than one. We will, of course, be with you until we're just outside of town."


Walthus blinks. "Oh, I don't mean to hold you up in any way," he says. "I agreed to go back with you to Sandpoint to get healing, but I didn't know that would mean you'd be splitting your numbers. I really don't want to be a burden. If you all want to go to the goblin village, I'm sure I'll be fine here. I'll recover in a few days or so, I'm sure. But I would very heavily recommend you not split your numbers for going to the goblin village. If they catch you, you'll need back-up. So you should either all wait or all go."


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:
Navior wrote:
Walthus blinks. "Oh, I don't mean to hold you up in any way," he says. "I agreed to go back with you to Sandpoint to get healing, but I didn't know that would mean you'd be splitting your numbers. I really don't want to be a burden. If you all want to go to the goblin village, I'm sure I'll be fine here. I'll recover in a few days or so, I'm sure. But I would very heavily recommend you not split your numbers for going to the goblin village. If they catch you, you'll need back-up. So you should either all wait or all go."

"If we do take you back to Sandpoint for healing, would you accompany and guide us to the village yourself? A small but talented and dedicated group of warriors might be enough to end the Licktoad goblin threat once and for all."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22


Walthus nods. "If I'm feeling a bit better, I'll be happy to guide you, especially if it means you be splitting your numbers. I wouldn't count on eliminating the threat though. The goblins are numerous. With luck though, we can figure out why they took your dogs, assuming they did."


"So what is it going to be? I don't feel about it strongly either way - but I'd have liked to return to town a bit more successful. No offense," she tells Walthus, "saving you is great. But it's not what we set out to do, is all."


"Precisely."


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"You mean, you'd rather return to Sandpoint dead in an invading goblin's belly than go back slightly unfinished? It's a pride thing!?"

Gilfroy actually sounds shocked.


Walthus rolls his eyes. "Please, just make up your minds. You came to me looking for a guide. I can't be that guide right now, but I can give you a guide's advice, and that advice is, if you're going to the goblin village as a matter of pride, and that pride is so great that you're willing to take stupid risks like abandoning your companions for no other reason than getting it done now, then you deserve to end up on a goblin's roasting fire, which is exactly what will happen to you."

He stands up. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going up to my room again. If you decide you're going to Sandpoint, come and let me know, and I'll join you. Otherwise, I'm going to sleep." He moves to the stairs, but stops and looks back at Malan and then Melon. "Have fun getting your selves killed in the name of your pride. I hope you have people who will remember you." He then heads up the stairs.


Male Human Cleric 2; AC 15; Hp's 15/15
Corinna Valdemar wrote:


"Ergh." Corinna's skin visibly crawls. "I'll just stay up here then, shall I? Snakes can't climb stairs, can they?" she whispers to the others.

Rajah smiles. "No, Corinna. They can't." He then ponders it a moment, "At least, I don't think so. Hm."

As Walthus returns upstairs, "Well, my good halfling, are you near ready for the trip to Sandpoint?"


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Corinna brightens as the halfling comes back up the stairs. "Yes, we'll want to get going as quickly as possible if we're going to make it to town before dark. Will your ... er, pets be all right until you get back?"


I'm going to go ahead with spoilering posts when the party is split between two locations to see how it works and whether it will cut down on confusion. At the moment, Corinna and the Blue Rajah are upstairs (and Walthus has just joined them). Aago, Gilfroy, Malan and Melon are downstairs.

Blue Rajah and Corinna:
Walthus sits down on the edge of his bed with a sigh. "The snakes are fed, but I'm afraid your friends downstairs are still arguing about what they want to do. Some of them are determined to do on to the goblin village on their own if necessary. I told them I would take a nap until they made up their minds." He lies back and closes his eyes. "I am so tired."


Male Human Cleric 2; AC 15; Hp's 15/15

Rajah looks to Corinna and can only shake his head as he places his hands on his face in frustration. "Corinna, since when did dying become so attractive? Come, let us go downstairs and see if there is any chance we can talk them out of it."

Heading downstairs to meet up with the others, "Walthus tells us that some of you plan on going to the goblins lair this very night. May I ask who's come up with such a fantastic plan and who all plans to go?"


Thought it would be entertaining for Corinna to remember that snakes certainly manage to climb trees. Stairs are probably not that much of a challenge really.


"I have no intention of being killed, but I do intend to complete the mission I have accepted. So in a sense, it is indeed, as you say, a pride thing. My mind is made up. There is no changing it. Now the rest of you should decide what you will do."


Aago's head was beginning to throb with mingled frustration and annoyance. He was well aware of the foolishness of Malan's determination but he had no intention of allowing the elf to go alone.

Rubbing at his temples with one hand, he says, "If there's no changing your mind, Malan, then I must go with you. I still think that the decision to return Walthus to Sandpoint is a good one. Surely the rest of us can travel together at least as far as the road we need to take to the goblin village. Who knows? Maybe we'll meet something along the way that will provide us with more information."

Fat chance of that, he thinks wearily.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Corinna follows the Blue Rajah partway down the stairs, worriedly, but doesn't go all the way to the ground floor in case there's a hungry snake somewhere the Warden missed in his weariness. She reaches down to touch Rajah's shoulder. "If the elf is so certain of his goal and how he will accomplish it, perhaps he should go alone," she says softly. In her mind, he is Shalelu's ranger apprentice and surely nearly as omnicompetent as she is. "Having a bunch of people tagging along for whose safety he must be responsible would only distract him from his purpose and would surely ruin any attempts at being stealthy and scouting out the goblins, especially after dark when the humans would either be blundering into trees and splashing in the mire blind, or else have to be carrying a light that will alert the goblins -- or anything else -- to their presence from a great distance." She gives Malan an encouraging smile. "Besides, they can't all go. They wouldn't leave the Warden in his condition to be protected into Sandpoint by just an academic wizard and a priest, not with all the well-guarded caravans that have seen attack on the Lost Coast Road recently." She turns hopeful eyes on the others.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"Malan, I think this is folly, but you're a grown up and can make your own decisions. I sincerely hope that we will meet again. As it is, let's start now for the Lost Coast Road so we can get Master Proudstump the healing he needs. Corinna, Rajah, " he calls up the stairs, "please get Walthus up and ready to go. I'll prepare Umbral. Does anybody have any rope, just in case Walthus passes out during the journey, he doesn't fall off my pony?"


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"I ... I haven't anything like that," Corinna stammers. "Perhaps there's some around the house? Seems like something someone living in a rustic setting might have a supply of."


Walthus has made it partway down the stairs when Gilfroy asks about rope. He nods at Corinna's suggestion. "I have some back upstairs. I'll go grab it." He turns around and wearily climbs the stairs again.

A couple minutes later, he returns carrying rope and an axe. "For protection, in case it's needed," he says, referring to the axe.


Male Human Cleric 2; AC 15; Hp's 15/15

Rajah moves to help Walthus, "Let me carry those things for you, good sir." He goes to take the items. "Would one of you please assist Master Proudstump outside?" He asks as he heads outside with the items.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"Of course," Corinna replies, offering the halfling her arm. "Come along, Mr. Proudstump." She gives the lower floor an anxious look in case there are any stray snakes. "Is there anything else you want to take with you for safekeeping? Will your, er, pets be all right for a day or two? Can't they forage for themselves? I understand they eat mice."


Walthus takes Corinna's arm. "Thank you," he says. "Yes, my snakes should be fine for a couple of days. As long as nothing else attacks my house while I'm gone. Thank you very much for this kindness of escorting me back to Sandpoint."


Refer to the discussion thread "On second thought, as I have said before, I don't have any connection to your town, except for Shalelu, I don't know anyone there, and it wasn't my home that was raided. If the rest of you wish to return to that place without fulfilling our mission, why should I risk my life? I will return with you after all." He's still arrogant.
Upon noting Walthus' condition he says, " Master Walthus, your injuries seem to have left you rather weak. I am concerned that the walk may prove a bit more strenuous than you can take right now. Would you be offended if we fashioned a litter for you... just in case?"


Walthus blinks and nods. "Well, as I understood it, I was to be riding on the pony, which hopefully won't be too strenuous for me. Still, if it happens to be, I would accept a litter. That's very kind of you. And I'm glad you've decided not to take any foolhardy risks. I know Shalelu. She's a good person, and I know she won't think any less of you for being cautious. It's not the same thing as giving up. Your friends do seem intent on continuing the mission tomorrow."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"Oh, do let's get going," Corinna pleads, her eyes on the lengthening afternoon shadows anxiously. "It seemed to take forever to get here; we've plenty of time to chat about Shalelu along the way." She delivers the Warden to Rajah and Gilfroy to see about trussing him up on the pony and then goes back to shut the door to the house. "Have you a lock and a key with you?" she asks Walthus.


Navior wrote:
Walthus blinks and nods. "Well, as I understood it, I was to be riding on the pony, which hopefully won't be too strenuous for me. Still, if it happens to be, I would accept a litter. That's very kind of you. And I'm glad you've decided not to take any foolhardy risks. I know Shalelu. She's a good person, and I know she won't think any less of you for being cautious. It's not the same thing as giving up. Your friends do seem intent on continuing the mission tomorrow."

"Oh, I must have missed that." He says referring to the pony. "Thank you for your words, but I am not concerned about Shalelu thinks. He lies. Also I have not given up, they have decided that we have done enough for their town for today and wish to return home. If they are happy with our progress, so am I.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Gilfroy looks at the elf like he's just grown a third head, but he clamps down on his jaw with all of his will, and refrains from commenting.

His jaw aches, however, and he looks like he's currently passing a kidney stone.


Male Human Cleric 2; AC 15; Hp's 15/15

Smiling, "Thank you for your help with the Warden, Corinna." He nods in appreciation as he helps the warden onto the pony. "Alright Gilfroy. You, my good gnome, can make it to where he does not fall off. I'm afraid I have no skill when it comes to that of a rope."


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"Me neither," he responds. He loops the rope around the pony's neck, wraps it around Walthus, then climbs up behind the halfling and ties the rope around himself. He holds tightly onto Walthus and says, "Corinna, would you guide Umbral for me?"

401 to 450 of 3,213 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Jade Regent All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.