Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Navior's Jade Regent (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


3,001 to 3,050 of 3,213 << first < prev | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | next > last >>

AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Ah, I missed that step. Perfect, indeed!


I missed where you moved. Kill that corbie!


It's down to the Strange Man, then Tevyn and the corbies.


Melon gets two strong hits in on #12, winding the corby and leaving it in that condition where it ought to be dying or dead, but still keeps standing. #12 is staggered.

As Melon moves aside following her attacks, Corinna hurries back out of the gatehouse and sends a glob of acid spinning into #7's chest. Gilfroy scurries across the ground just after the acid zips by and reaches out to heal Melon. Malan then send an arrow straight into #12's throat. Amazingly, the corby is still standing. I've move Gilfroy to AI 32, as that's the only way to get to Melon. However, that leaves no room for Malan to move in front of Gilfroy and not attract an AoO with his bow, so I've left Malan where he was.

ROUND 7

CURRENT EFFECTS:
Bless (whole party) -- +1 morale to hit and saves versus fear
Mage armour (Corinna and Melon)
Crane style & snake style (Melon)
Shield (Malan)
Grease (Tevyn's armour)
Note: Bless, shield, and grease will be ending in the next few rounds. I need to double-check exactly when each one was started, but I believe bless will end first.

There is still no sign of the strange man.

Next Up: Tevyn, Dire Corbies, Melon, Corinna, Gilfroy, Malan, Strange Man.

Lower Level Map Updated


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Round 7: HP = 16/22 :: AC = 18 :: Touch = 14 :: Flatfooted = 14 Active Effects: Bless, Greased Armor.

Tevyn repositions himself in a place where Melon won't be in his way and keeps up the attack.

Move to AI31.
Blessed, Point Blank Shot at #6:
1d20 + 6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 1 + 1 = 13
1d8 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 1 = 3


Tevyn's arrow grazes #6 across the shoulder.

The dire corbies shift their positions slightly and continue their attacks. #12 5-ft step to AH31. #8 5-ft step to AG34. #6 5-ft step to AG33. #7 5-ft step to AG32.

Dire Corby #6 claw 1 at Melon: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13 -- miss
Dire Corby #6 claw 2 at Melon: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 -- miss

Dire Corby #7 claw 1 at Melon: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11 -- miss
Dire Corby #7 claw 2 at Melon: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13 -- miss

Dire Corby #8 claw 1 at Melon: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16 -- miss
Dire Corby #8 claw 2 at Melon: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22 -- hit
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Dire Corby #12 claw 1 at Tevyn: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 -- miss
Dire Corby #12 claw 2 at Tevyn: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16 -- miss

Most of those attacks turn out to be quite ineffectual as Melon easily ducks and twists away from all but one of six claws that come at her (and possibly the sixth, too, pending outcome of her various immediate action options). #12 tries to get Tevyn, but nearly trips on the first attack and that's just enough to throw off the second attack as well.

Next Up: Melon, Corinna, Gilfroy, Malan, Strange Man, Tevyn, Dire Corbies.

Lower Level Map Updated


Since #8 and #12 are staggered, they should get one attack each - meaning all attacks miss :)

Before

Melon waits specifically for the weakened corby to attack her, then strikes back with a vicious elbow that (hopefully) incapacitates the creature permanently.

AOO against #8 1d20 + 6 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 6 + 1 - 2 = 16 damage 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Melon's turn
AC 22; HP 19/19

Melon shifts her body slightly 5ft to AH34 to begin encircling the birdmen, then attempts a brutal kick into the solar plexus.

Attack against #8, or #6; defensively 1d20 + 5 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 5 + 1 - 2 = 10 damage 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Melon Sash wrote:
Since #8 and #12 are staggered, they should get one attack each - meaning all attacks miss :)

Doh!!! You're absolutely right. All attacks miss.

Melon slams her elbow into #8's chest, smashing the its ribcage. For the briefest of moments, it continues to stand there, still attempting to breathe. But its lungs must have been punctured by the attack and it is unable to draw another breath. It staggers over and collapses.

Unfortunately, #6 dodges aside of her next attack.

Next Up: Corinna, Gilfroy, Malan, Strange Man, Tevyn, Dire Corbies, Melon.

Lower Level Map Updated


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

If Gilfroy takes a five foot step east, can he get all three corbies with a colour spray? It wouldn't be using one of the typical cone alignments.


Gilfroy Fezziwig wrote:
If Gilfroy takes a five foot step east, can he get all three corbies with a colour spray? It wouldn't be using one of the typical cone alignments.

Yes, you can, and you can actually do it with a typical cone alignment. Cones can start from any corner of your square, so if you started the cone from the top right of AI33, you could get all three corbies and not get any party members.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Right! That's what he'll do then, after Corinna. DC 18!


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Corinna is loath to leave the relative safety of the gatehouse, especially as she's not sure the oni isn't able to pop up behind her and cut off their escape, but she sees an opening to hit the acid-burned corby once more. Creeping along with her back to the wall, she finds an open crease where she can fling another acid dart at the corby without any of her own allies getting in the way of it. Just as she is about to fling the summoned acid, however, she thinks she sees movement inside the gatehouse and jumps, startled. By the time she realizes it was just a gossamer strand of the squashed spider's web floating on the breeze, her attack has gone awry.

Move to AK 34; Acid Dart on corby 7: ranged touch attack 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


AC 20, FF 13, T 13; HP 6/17
Arcane Pool 2/4; +1 enhancement

Malan targets #7 (or other one still standing) and steps to AJ33.
Shortbow: arcane pool (+1)
to hit 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 1 = 17 damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


I didn't even realize Gilfroy still had another colorspray left. Excellent luck for us. Here's hoping for a series of 1s, 2s, and 3s from Navior's corby saves.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

It's his last. Two oracle spells left though.


I'm not sure, perhaps Navior is waiting for Gilfroy to actually post; and Gilfroy is assuming that Navior is handling the logistics since he declared the actions. Somebody post! :)


No, Navior's just having another crazy busy weekend. :)

Corinna moves out of the gatehouse and attempts to get #7 with more acid, but is distracted and the attack goes awry. Gilfroy then moves over a short distance, leans to the side, and sends out a cone of swirling colours that washes over the corbies.

Dire Corby #6 Will: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8 -- fail
Dire Corby #7 Will: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11 -- fail
Dire Corby #12 Will: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15 -- fail
The corbies are unconscious (and blind and stunned) for 2d4 ⇒ (3, 1) = 4 rounds, then stunned and blinded for 1d4 ⇒ 1 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

A moment later, as the bright colours clear, you see that all three corbies have collapsed.

The strange man does not immediately reappear.

You may choose to withdraw and/or retreat at this time, if you wish.

COMBAT OVER


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Not before we coup de grace! We won't be fighting these exact same corbies again when we come back, anyway.


Melon is quick to take the opening in the corbies' defenses and delivers a lethal - if somewhat brutal - end to their lives. "Do you guys want to push on now? The guy in the store said the potion would last an hour - so I am good to go for a while longer. But I think we should be a bit cautious. We don't know how many more of these birdmen are there - or whatever else waits for us. Other than the strange man. An... oni? I think we can camp up at the shrine, if we keep watches we can intercept any raid that they might launch - but either way, we're not taking them by surprise now."


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"You'd think if they had many more, they'd be here by now. We haven't exact been subtle."


"If there not many more, there will still not be many more tomorrow - and the odds are low that they'll be able to mount a raid. But there might be more that are setting up an ambush. Look at this place! It's huge!"


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Tevyn moves forward to help with putting down the unconscious Corbies. Once he is done, he wipes the blade of his longsword clean before returning it to the scabbard.

"It seems likely that the strange man retreated rather than face us. I'd prefer to press on while we can. I'm still operating under the assumption that Ameiko's time is limited."

He looks to the rest of his companions. "Are there many injuries?"


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"I'm a bit hurt," Gilfroy says. "I have two more divine spells, after which I'm reduced to my reusable spells and my prowess with my crossbow."

He holds up his crossbow to emphasize his point, pauses a moment, then turns it right way up.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"Mr. Malan is quite injured," Corinna points out again. "I can't contribute anything else, but there's no key to the front gate and no way to ensure they don't lock us out again if we leave and come back -- and this time, we won't catch the guards nodding. The more time we take, the more time we give the oni to prepare for us; he knows we'll be back. We ought at least to search the outbuildings for any clues or useful items," she concludes, referring to the stable from which the spider emerged and the unexamined tower. "If there were more hostile creatures in them, they would have come out to join the fray. The same for any open areas inside the castle."


"I don't mind then, if we push on," Melon looks up at the keep. "Maybe we're lucky and find a storage room with healing supplies." She eyes Gilfroy and Malan. "Both of you look like you need more than just a divine spell each." She looks squarely at Tevyn and Corinna, "If any of us becomes unable to fight, then we'll retreat, okay? Ameiko's life is at stake - but she wouldn't want to carry the burden of living at the cost of somebody else's."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Isn't that the whole premise of this AP? Dulce et decorum est pro Ameiko mori? :P


Malan is agreeable to that plan.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2
Melon Sash wrote:

"Ameiko's life is at stake - but she wouldn't want to carry the burden of living at the cost of somebody else's."

"Again, you mean?" Corinna mutters under her breath.


"Precisely because she knows that burden."


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Tevyn curtly nods. "Then let's be about our business. The outbuildings first." He keeps his bow out and an arrow nocked in place and begins making his way to the stable the spider had come from.


You dispatch the unconscious corbies quickly and then move towards the stables that the spider came out of. Peering through the open doors you see an old building with sagging, grey walls. There is an old forge at the south end and several cobweb-filled, but otherwise empty horse stalls. You can't quite see the northeast end of the stables yet.

Just south of the stable entrance is another tower and another door into the gatehouse. From this vantage point, looking north across the courtyard, you can see the entrance to the building with the catapult on top is indeed in the west wall as you suspected.

Note: Bless, shield, and grease have ended now.

Corinna Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Gilfroy Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Malan Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Melon Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Tevyn Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

Lower Level Map Updated


"So far so good," Melon begins heading to the far-side of the stables.


Melon moves carefully into the stable towards the far end, followed cautiously by the rest of you. The far side of the stable contains another exit, but is otherwise unremarkable.

Lower Level Map Updated


Melon is keen to use her hour of magical armor, and pushes on. "Should we use that main entrance where we were fighting, or try to go in from one level up, over there where the catapult is?"


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Corinna trails behind the others and traces her fingers in front of her eyes to activate detect magio, on the lookout for any arcane auras in the area. Not only are the messy stables a likely place for something of value to have gotten lost, but she's still leery of the oni lingering under cover of invisibility.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

After scanning the stables and assuming she finds nothing untoward...

"The main entrance," Corinna says firmly. "It's already open, and anything hostile in there would have come out to fight us with the other corbies. We start opening closed doors and we're likely to let out things that might not know we're here yet."


Corinna detects no magic in the stable or any of the web-filled horse stalls.

Assuming everyone else agrees to go through the main entrance...

You make your way back out of the stable and across to the main building. Stepping over the multiple corby bodies, you enter the large room that is set up something like a throne room and take a quick, but cautious look around. Apart from the throne, carpet, and wall banners, there appears to be little else in here. However, there are several exits. There is a door along the long northwest wall (Y 36). Across from that, a short hall branches off to the east. The hall ends in a pair of double doors (AA-AB 43). There is another door in the south wall of this hall (AB 41). At the north end of the room, there are two more doors: one in the very north wall (R 43) and another around the northeast corner (W 46). Finally, there is a flight of stairs heading up just around the northeast corner of the throne room (starting in W 45).

Corinna Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Gilfroy Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Malan Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Melon Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Tevyn Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Lower Level Map Updated


"Any ideas?" Melon shrugs. "Maybe that way?" she points to the west.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

You know, in the game I have a character with Door Sight in, we've run into ONE! door in five levels. :P

Re: stairs leading up, could we tell if the roof the corbies were catapulting us from was above one story or two? I've been assuming one, since they jumped down and could avoid damage with an Acrobatics roll. How many stories would we estimate are above ground in this castle from the outside? Is this middle part higher and the wings single-story?

EDIT: Ah! Here's the description from back in August:

Navior wrote:
The castle is a squat structure (only two storeys tall, with the exception of one tower that's about three storeys), but wide and intimidating. It is built of grey stone.

Where's the tall tower in relation to the main hall?


Corinna Valdemar wrote:

You know, in the game I have a character with Door Sight in, we've run into ONE! door in five levels. :P

Re: stairs leading up, could we tell if the roof the corbies were catapulting us from was above one story or two? I've been assuming one, since they jumped down and could avoid damage with an Acrobatics roll. How many stories would we estimate are above ground in this castle from the outside? Is this middle part higher and the wings single-story?

The corbies with the catapult were on a one-storey side building. (The building is against the west side of the main building so is hard to distinguish on the map from the main building, but it runs from approximately U 27 in the northwest to X 32 in the southeast.) The main building of the castle is two storeys tall. The tall tower is at the north side of the castle. The north door in this room ought to be near that tower.


"Gotta start somewhere," Melon heads for the north-western door Y36.


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Tevyn follows a short distance back, his bow nocked and ready, keeping an eye wary toward places where a sniper might be looking to pick them off from above.


Melon Fortitude: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15 -- pass

Upon opening the door, the very fist thing that greets you is a horrible stench. Melon gets the brunt of it, but she's able to resist the nauseous filling that creeps up her stomach. You see a large table lies in shambles in the middle of this room, while crumbled suits of armour bearing decorations of dragons twisting around castle towers lie in heaps along the walls. A flight of stairs winds up along a curved wall to the north. Seated on the floor beside the wrecked table are two scaly lizard-like humanoids. The remains of some sort of meal lie on the floor between them.

"That was a noisy play he put you through this time," one of them hisses, looking up. "You're such bad actors. He sounded--" Seeing Melon at the door, its jaw drops in surprise, drool dripping over its sharp teeth. "Oh."

Corinna Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Gilfroy Initiative: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4
Malan Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Melon Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Tevyn Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Lizard Creatures Initiative: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13
Order: Melon, Lizard Creatures, Tevyn, Corinna, Malan, Gilfroy.

The party gets a surprise round on the creatures.

SURPRISE ROUND

CURRENT EFFECTS:
Mage armour (Corinna and Melon)

Up First: Melon

Lower Level Map Updated


AC 19 - 2(charge); HP 19/19
Swift: snake style
Standard action: partial charge to U36; trip

"Cayden's morning breath! That reeks! AGH! Quick! Drop'em!" Melon rushes into the room, leaping feet-first forward to skid with her bum over the table and use her legs in a scissor sweep to knock one of the stinking creatures to the floor.

Leaping charge
Acrobatics to clear table 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Trip, charge 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 5 + 2 = 24

That looks like it went well :)


Melon rushes into the room and leaps over the edge of the table, landing right beside the startled creatures. (Even though she can't get an attack on them yet, she'll still go before them at the beginning of round 1, and so she'll still get a chance to take them while they're prone and flat-footed.)

Next Up: Tevyn, Corinna, Malan, Gilfroy, Melon, Lizard Creatures.

Lower Level Map Updated

Knowledge (nature) DC 11:
The creatures are troglodytes, underground reptilian creatures that are known for their horrible stench. The smell can sicken those with a weak stomach (i.e. those within 30 ft who fail their saves).


Given Wander's difficulties, I'll bot Tevyn for him.

Tevyn Fortitude: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9 -- fail

Tevyn moves up to the door, his hands already reaching for an arrow (5-ft step to Z 36). His nose is already wrinkling at the stench but as he comes into range of the full strength of it, he wretches. Tevyn is sickened. Despite the nausea rising in his stomach, he nocks an arrow and looses.

Tevyn longbow at #2: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 6 - 2 = 5 -- miss

Alas, the stench has just thrown off his aim too much and the arrow lands in the table, well short of his target.

Next Up: Corinna, Malan, Gilfroy, Melon, Lizard Creatures, Tevyn.

Lower Level Map Updated

Note: Anyone who goes into the room or otherwise gets within 30 ft of the creatures will need to make a Fortitude save or be sickened. The DC is 13.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Corinna hasn't the slightest interest in going into the smelly room or getting anywhere near the lizard things; she leaves the doorway open for Malan to have a clear shot and nervously watches the rest of the grand hallway, still waiting for the oni to turn up unexpectedly.

Delay. Tevyn's the only one with Knowledge (nature), iirc; don't know if you want to roll for him or wait for him to turn up and make the roll himself. I see Wander's luck with the dice has meandered over from Serpent's Skull. ;)


I will roll for him. For some reason, I was thinking Corinna was the one with Knowledge (nature). Not sure why I was thinking that...

Tevyn Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

"They're troglodytes!" Tevyn gasps amid clenched teeth. "Watch out for the smell!"


Hmmm... I suppose it's not clear that, with Corinna delaying, the next up is now Malan, so here's a revised list:

Next Up: Malan, Gilfroy, Melon, Troglodytes, Tevyn, Corinna (subject to delayed action).


Malan moves into the room and steps to the side, keeping the wall at his back (X37)

3,001 to 3,050 of 3,213 << first < prev | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Jade Regent All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.