Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Navior's Jade Regent (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


2,801 to 2,850 of 3,213 << first < prev | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | next > last >>

Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"It's a good fallback position, though," Corinna opines, looking around. "If we can't clear the gate, we could use the crates to barricade the door behind us and make ranged attacks from the tower while we lower a rope to the outside of the wall to make a quick retreat. And if they came out the front gate after us, well, we'd have the gate open, wouldn't we?"


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Tevyn nods with approval at Corinna's words. "Yes. I'd have a good position to fire on any thing threatening us without exposing myself too greatly."


"Okay, so we use this as fallback, and now push further to the gate?" Melon confirms before preparing to slip out the door and head for the main gate.

Star Voter 2013

Remaining pressed up against the wall, you make your way across the courtyard and along the side of the gatehouse. Coming around the corner, Melon approaches the gate itself.

To the west, you can see a wooden building (looks like a stable) pressed up against the west wall. Above it, on the castle wall itself, you can now see the guard. It's not looking in your direction, so hasn't noticed you yet, but if it were to turn, it would have a clear line of sight to those of you in the lead. You can't see the guard over the gate from here.

Lower Level Map Updated
Note: the gate is on the south edge of squares AL 31 and 32. Unfortunately, it's not very noticeable on the map.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Which square is the guard in? Also, would rather have Tevyn around the corner with a clear shot and Corinna still partially behind the wall, if you don't mind switching them. :)

Star Voter 2013

The guard is in AI 16. Unfortunately I can't reveal his token without revealing everything inside the stable, as MapTool doesn't handle 3 dimensions.

Corinna and Tevyn are now switched (assuming Tevyn doesn't mind). :)

Lower Level Map Updated


Melon motions for everybody to be ready, quietly, "We don't know if or how many there are beyond the door - but we see that guy over there. I'll open and step in, and everybody follows as quickly as possible. Then we cope with whatever waits inside, hopefully fast enough to not raise an alarm for that guy over there."

She waits for everybody to cluster as close to the door as possible, then proceeds with the plan.

Unless somebody objects beforehand. The plan is to cluster at the door first, since if somebody is inside, we'll only have a surprise round to act - and ideally we should all end up inside in that time.


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Tevyn is happy with his new position.

Despite feeling doubtful that everyone will be able to get inside in time to act, Tevyn gives a short nod. He lightly slips an arrow in place so he'll be ready to draw and release on an instant.

Star Voter 2013

I've moved everyone into a cluster near the door. One person needs to be off to the side a bit, and at the moment, that's Gilfroy. However, let me know if you want to reposition people in any way. Once you're happy with your positions, we'll start a surprise round and you can open the door.

Lower Level Map Updated


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Gilfroy's the one who needs to be in front to hit people with colour spray.


It depends if we want to be all inside, or get off the colorspray - to use the spell, Gilfroy would only get a 5ft step in a surprise round, so he'd have to be right at the door; but in that case, the person who opens the door cannot exit the courtyard since they'd only have a 5ft left into the space that Gilfroy just occupied. ...but hopefully the spell would've landed. Is a trade-off I think.


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

"Corinna, can you keep an eye out for anyone approaching from behind while we move in? Just a word of warning and I can shoot."

He turns himself to the side so that he can get easily watch the nearby wall (toward 15/16) as well as see within the doorway.

In other words, standing so that he's facing columns 15/16 with his back to the part of the courtyard they've already moved through. It'll make no difference in metagame.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"All ... all right," Corinna agrees nervously, putting her back to the rest of the group to scan the courtyard.

Star Voter 2013

Okay, I've shifted characters around a bit to put you in positions that ought to work for what you're planning. Melon and Gilfroy are now directly in front of the door, Malan to the west of the door, Tevyn to the east, and Corinna just northeast of Tevyn. Tevyn and Corinna can still scan the courtyard from these places.

Through use of delay actions, you can pretty much decide the order you want to go in in the surprise round, so Gilfroy can ready to cast his spell when Melon opens the gate. Since he's made no other movement, he can include a 5-ft step after casting. Melon can then conclude her action by taking a 5-ft step through the gate. The others can then take their actions by moving into the gatehouse.

Look good?

Of course, all this is reliant on the gate being unlocked. :)

Lower Level Map Updated


Looks good to me.


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2
Navior wrote:
Of course, all this is reliant on the gate being unlocked. :)

Ha! I can remember a number of times when something like that gummed up the works of hard discussed plans.

Satisfied with their preparations, Sarien checks the line of his bowstring with his thumb as he glances around one last time. Then he turns to Melon and nods.

"Let's go."


After Melon hears the go-ahead, she swiftly opens the doors - trying to make the movement quick, but ensuring the door doesn't slam open either. As everybody goes through their motions, she steps into the room.

Star Voter 2013

Corinna Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Gilfroy Initiative: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2
Malan Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Melon Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Tevyn Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Dire Corbies Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Unknown 1 Initiative: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Unknown 2 Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Ouch! After delays to allow Gilfroy and Melon to be first, you all end up at the end of the order.
Order after delays: Unknown 1, Unknown 2, Dire Corbies, Gilfroy, Melon, Tevyn, Malan, Corinna.

SURPRISE ROUND

Gilfory gets himself set up to cast his spell, but is a bit slow in choosing the right position and giving a nod to Melon. Melon reaches out and takes the handle of the gate and attempts to open it. Alas, it is locked and only rattles slightly in place. It's clear the gate is rather old and not too strong. A concerted effort might be able to break it down. Unfortunately, the attempt to open it has made an audible sound.

Next Up: Tevyn, Malan, Corinna, Unknown 1, Unknown 2, Dire Corbies, Gilfroy (subject to readied action), Melon.

Lower Level Map


"Calistria's honeyed bum!" Melon cusses quietly as the door refuses.


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Tevyn bites his tongue to keep from making any noise as he scans the surroundings. So far, no targets were in sight but that was likely to change very quickly. He forces himself to remain calm and wait for a target.

Delay.


Malan is focused more on the large open area and the guards he can see than opening the door.
Delay


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Corinna nearly jumps at the rattle of the locked door; she looks longingly at the door of her fallback tower Btw, I'm assuming we left that door open so we don't have to spend a move action on it if we need to retreat? but judges the distance too far to cover if the noise attracted any attention and emphatically doesn't want to get caught all by herself in the open. "Should we retreat?" she hisses to Tevyn hopefully.

Delay


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2
Corinna Valdemar wrote:
Corinna nearly jumps at the rattle of the locked door; she looks longingly at the door of her fallback tower Btw, I'm assuming we left that door open so we don't have to spend a move action on it if we need to retreat? but judges the distance too far to cover if the noise attracted any attention and emphatically doesn't want to get caught all by herself in the open. "Should we retreat?" she hisses to Tevyn hopefully.

"At this point, perhaps whoever is behind the door may come to us. If we're ready, we can still surprise them by our numbers. Hold for a moment longer."

Star Voter 2013

I'm fine with the door to the fallback tower being still open.

ROUND 1

CURRENT EFFECTS:
None.

At the sound of door rattling, there's a yell from inside the gatehouse. In response, a yell comes from on top of the wall. The guard to the west turns, sees your group, and yells as well. It jumps off the side of the wall, onto the roof of the stable, rushes across the stable, then jumps down to the ground of the courtyard (at AI22). From on top of the gatehouse, the other guard jumps down in front of Corinna and lands awkwardly.

Dire Corby 1 Acrobatics to reduce damage: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11 -- fail
Dire Corby 2 Acrobatics to reduce damage jump 1: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18 -- success
Dire Corby 2 Acrobatics to reduce damage jump 2: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23 -- success
#1 Jumps down 20 feet and takes 1d6 ⇒ 1 nonlethal and 1d6 ⇒ 5 lethal.
#2 makes two jumps of 10 feet each and takes no damage.

From inside the gatehouse, you hear movement and the door rattles a bit more.

Next Up: Gilfroy, Melon, Tevyn (subject to delayed action), Malan (subject to delayed action), Corinna (subject to delayed action), Unknown 1, Unknown 2, Dire Corbies.
Of course, any of you with delayed actions can choose to act now as well.

Lower Level Map Updated


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

As the corby drops down in front of her, Corinna shrieks and takes a step back before conjuring armor around herself from thin air.

5-foot-step to AK 33; cast mage armor (AC 16)

Hope they don't have reach; Tevyn didn't mention that along with the rending. :P

Navior, on the map, you've got #1 in front of Corinna, but in the description, the one that failed its Acrobatics roll from the top of the gatehouse is #2. Corby #2 is prone, correct, because it took damage from the fall? I'd rather it be the one in my face that has to use an action to stand up. :)

Star Voter 2013

Corinna Valdemar wrote:
Navior, on the map, you've got #1 in front of Corinna, but in the description, the one that failed its Acrobatics roll from the top of the gatehouse is #2. Corby #2 is prone, correct, because it took damage from the fall? I'd rather it be the one in my face that has to use an action to stand up. :)

Yeah, I failed to use numbers in the descriptive text. Sorry about that. #2 is the one who made two jumps (one onto the stable roof and then a second onto the ground) and is now in AI22 as on the map. #1 is in front of Corinna at AK35. I wrote #2's actions first since they were acting simultaneously and #2 was the one the party could already see. #1 had to move over the top of the gatehouse where the party couldn't see him. I also forgot that he should be prone from taking falling damage. Sorry for the confusion!

While the corby is still recovering from its fall, Corinna steps away and casts her spell.

Next Up: Gilfroy, Melon, Tevyn (subject to delayed action), Malan (subject to delayed action), Unknown 1, Unknown 2, Dire Corbies, Corinna.

Lower Level Map Updated
Blue circle indicates prone.


AC 16, FF 13, T 13; HP 17/17
Arcane Pool 4/4

"We made it further than I thought before the gates of hell opened." Malan fires at corbie 2.

Shortbow: arcane pool (+1)
to hit 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 1 = 17 damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Tevyn will take his action when he can.

Tevyn takes a step back and swivels to aim at the Corbie confronting Corinna, smoothly firing an arrow. The creature's tumble to the ground protects it, however, and he misses.

5-Foot Step to AK32.
Point Blank Shot at Corbie 01: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 6 + 1 = 11
Damage: 1d8 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 + 1 = 5

Gosh darned dice!


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Get up there between Corinna and the corby, Melon, and you can take an AoO if it tries to get up!

Star Voter 2013

Malan's arrow scrapes across #2's shoulder, leaving a streak of blood behind. Tevyn's arrow, however, overshoots #1 and lands in the dirt of the courtyard.

Next Up: Gilfroy, Melon, Unknown 1, Unknown 2, Dire Corbies, Corinna, Malan, Tevyn.

Lower Level Map Updated


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Gilfroy whips off a bless spell, granting everybody +1 bonuses to attacks and saves versus fear.

He stays put for the moment.
Is he currently in an area of dim light? Just wondering where the shadows are.

Star Voter 2013

It's currently late afternoon, but there's still enough light to see easily by. There are shadows (with the sun low in the west they would be along the east sides of walls, such as in Malan's current square) but I wouldn't consider any of them dark enough to be dim light.

Everyone feels a surge in their confidence as Gilfroy's spell goes off.

Next Up: Melon, Unknown 1, Unknown 2, Dire Corbies, Corinna, Malan, Tevyn, Gilfroy.


AC 18; HP 19/19
Activate crane style
Move to AK34
Attack

Melon swoops along the wall to between Corinna and the corby. She rises from a low stance her arms wide both in the style she's adopted and in an attempt to keep the corby from passing her.

Attack, defensively, stunning fist DC 13 1d20 + 5 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 1 - 2 = 22 damage 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Not sure if "1" is "1". If the corby took damage from falling, he should be prone, unless they have some ability for that. If he's prone, there's an extra +4 on Melon's attack

Star Voter 2013

Melon Sash wrote:
Not sure if "1" is "1". If the corby took damage from falling, he should be prone, unless they have some ability for that. If he's prone, there's an extra +4 on Melon's attack

Yep, as I clarified above, #1 on the map is indeed #1 and the blue circle indicates that he's prone. :)

Dire Corby #1 Fortitude: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6 -- fail

Melon slams her fist into #1's face. The corby, still recovering from the fall, sits there wobbling slightly for a moment, blood dripping from his beak.

ROUND 2

CURRENT EFFECTS:
Bless (whole party) -- +1 morale to hit and saves versus fear
Mage armour (Corinna)
Crane style (Melon)

From the west, you hear a momentary banging and then the doors of the stables open, revealing a disgusting purple creature. Vaguely humanoid, it has a face like that of a spider and its hands are sickle-shaped claws. From behind it, a massive spider moves out of the stable and scurries across the courtyard towards the party (reaching square AJ29).

Meanwhile, while corby #1 continues to wobble in place, #2 begins running across the courtyard towards Malan. As it gets close it leaps into the air, coming down in front of the elf, its claws swiping.

#2 is using its "leap" attack special ability. This works like pounce, except that it must first succeed on a DC 20 Acrobatics check. If successful, it can make a full attack at the end of its leaping charge. If unsuccessful, it can only make a single attack.
Dire Corby #2 Acrobatics: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27 -- success
Dire Corby #2 Claw 1 at Malan, charge: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 3 + 2 = 16 -- hit
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Dire Corby #2 Claw 2 at Malan, charge: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 3 + 2 = 20 -- hit
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Rend Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Total damage to Malan = 9

#2's claws dig into each of Malan's shoulders and rip downwards painfully.

From the gatehouse, you hear the click of a latch and then the gate opens, almost knocking over Gilfroy in the process. You see two more dire corbies just beyond it. One lashes out a Gilfroy. #5 used an action to unlock the gate and then one to open it, so has no further actions. #4 was already waiting. (Note that there is no #3 as that was the guard you killed earlier.)

Dire Corby #4 Claw 1 at Gilfroy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20 -- hit
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Dire Corby #4 Claw 2 at Gilfroy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22 -- hit
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Rend Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Total damage to Gilfroy = 8

Similar to #2's attack on Malan, #4's claws dig into each of Gilfroy's shoulders and then rip downwards.

Next Up: Corinna, Malan, Tevyn, Gilfroy, Melon, Spider-Humanoid, Giant Spider, Dire Corbies.

Lower Level Map Updated


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Appropriate Knowledge to identify the purple monster from the stable?


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Gilfroy takes a five foot step north and cuts loose with a colour spray against the new corbies. DC 18

Star Voter 2013

Corinna Valdemar wrote:
Appropriate Knowledge to identify the purple monster from the stable?

Dungeoneering DC 13, which unfortunately, no one in your party has any ranks in. :(


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Meh. :P

"Fall back?" Corinna asks Tevyn, semi-hysterically. Seeing that the corby between her and her fallback tower is dazed, she dares to dart past it, drawing her dagger and try to plant the blade in its feathery back.

Move to AK 36, drawing dagger; attack corby #1 (bless, flanking) 1d20 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 1 + 1 + 2 = 6 damage 1d4 ⇒ 2

Sigh. If there were ever a time for a mage to hit in melee, it's when an opponent is wearing no armor, denied its Dex to AC, and has an additional -6 to AC due to being prone and stunned while she's blessed and flanking, and I can only roll a 2. It's still just possible the penalties add up enough to make that a hit, though, depending on if it has natural armor or not.


Murphy's Law suggests you have hit, the argument being that if you had missed, you'd have rolled max on your damage ;)

Edit: man... you better have hit - those corbies have been rolling like the wrathful gods of TPK

Star Voter 2013

Luck is with Corinna as that does indeed hit!

Corinna stabs the corby between the shoulder blades and it snarls in pain.

Next Up: Malan, Tevyn, Gilfroy, Melon, Spider-Humanoid, Giant Spider, Dire Corbies, Corinna.

Lower Level Map Updated


AC 20, FF 13, T 13; HP 8/17
Arcane Pool 3/4; +1 enhancement

Malan drops his now eneffectual bow and frees his rapier to strike at the corbie. He then repositions himself (5'step back) and casts a spell of defense (Shield)

Rapier: arcane pool (+1), bless, spell combat
to hit 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 1 + 1 - 2 = 7 damage 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 1 = 3

So I think I'm going to go with an Desnan Inquisitor for my next character.


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Round 2: HP = 22/22 :: AC = 18 :: Touch = 14 :: Flatfooted = 14

"Not yet," Tevyn grunts to Corinna's request for withdrawing. "You're doing fine." Pleased to see that Melon is keeping her protected, he turns his attention to one of the Corbies in the doorway and fires point blank at it.

Blessed Point Blank Shot at 04. 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 7 + 1 = 16
Damage: 1d8 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 + 1 = 7

He then takes a step back to give himself a little more room.
Five-Foot step to AJ32.


Round 2
AC 18; HP 19/19
Swift: snake style
Attack
Conditional: if the corby drops from the attack, then Melon moves to AL32

Melon pulls out a massive overhand chop against the prone corby, that she hopes will permanently lay low the creature. All the while she shouts at it: "Hit me! Hit me! Come on!"

Attack, defensive 1d20 + 5 + 1 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 1 + 2 - 2 = 13 damage 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Star Voter 2013

Malan strikes at the corby, but it dodges aside, avoiding the blow. Tevyn, however, find his mark. His arrow thuds into #4's chest.

For a brief moment, space starts to get tight around Gilfroy as Malan steps into the spot he was going to step back into, but then Tevyn moves back, allowing Gilfroy into his former space. The gnome steps back and lets loose a cone of scintillating colours into the gatehouse.

Dire Corby #4 Will: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18 -- pass
Dire Corby #5 Will: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 -- fail
#5 is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 ⇒ (4, 2) = 6 rounds, blinded and stunned for 1d4 ⇒ 3 rounds, and stunned for 1 round.

#5 falls over, fast asleep, but #4 merely shakes its head momentarily to clear its thoughts.

Nearby, just as #1 starts to recover from Melon's stunning fist, Melon lands another blow on top of its head. There's an audible crack of the skull and blood spurts out its beak, but surprisingly, the corby does not drop. It merely snarls in rage.

ROUND 3

CURRENT EFFECTS:
Bless (whole party) -- +1 morale to hit and saves versus fear
Mage armour (Corinna)
Crane style & snake style (Melon)
Shield (Malan)

The strange humanoid moves out of the stable and towards the centre of the courtyard (move to AH25). It then spits a stream of sticky strands from its mouth.

Spider-Humanoid web attack at Tevyn: 1d20 + 6 - 8 ⇒ (20) + 6 - 8 = 18 -- hit

The strands shoot across the courtyard straight at Tevyn, splattering all over him and enveloping him. Tevyn is now entangled. He can escape by passing a Escape Artist check or Strength check at DC 15 as a standard action.

Giant spider web attack at Malan: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

The giant spider does similarly, except this time at Malan. The webs cover and envelop the elf, making movement more difficult. Malan is also entangled, but the Escape Artist or Strength check DC is only 12.

The corbies laugh as the webs entangle two of your members. #1 stands up feebly blood still dripping from its head and beak, allowing both Melon and Corinna another go at it. Melon and Corinna may each take an AoO. In its current condition, #1 only gets a single action per turn, so cannot do anything else this round.

#2 and #4 both move to surround Malan (#2 5-ft step to AJ30, #4 5-ft step to AL 32) and attack.

Corby #2 claw 1 at Malan, flanking: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 3 + 2 = 22 -- hit
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Corby #2 claw 2 at Malan, flanking: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 3 + 2 = 17 -- miss
Corby #4 claw 1 at Malan, flanking: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 2 = 6 -- miss
Corby #4 claw 2 at Malan, flanking: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 3 + 2 = 11 -- miss

Despite the webs inhibiting his movement, Malan manages to avoid most of the attacks. Only one minor scrape gets through.

Next Up: Attacks of Opportunity for Corinna and Melon, Corinna, Malan, Tevyn, Gilfroy, Melon, Spider-Humanoid, Giant Spider, Dire Corbies.

Lower Level Map Updated
The red boxes indicate entangled. The red circle indicates unconscious.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Shocked to see the bloody thing trying to get up, Corinna stabs out with her dagger more out of instinct than tactical sense.

AoO 1d20 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 1 + 1 + 2 = 21 damage 1d4 ⇒ 3


"What is this? Are they like orcs? You're skull is broken! Stay down!"

AOO 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 1 + 2 - 2 = 13 damage 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Star Voter 2013

Corinna slides her dagger into the back of the corby's neck, while Melon gives it another smash to the face. For a very brief moment afterwards, it looks as if the corby is still going to stand up. It does its best to rise, its body quivering, but then suddenly collapses in a pool of blood.

Next Up: Corinna, Malan, Tevyn, Gilfroy, Melon, Spider-Humanoid, Giant Spider, Dire Corbies.

Lower Level Map Updated


AC 20, FF 13, T 13; HP 6/17
Arcane Pool 3/4; +1 enhancement

In a display of mixed martial and magical training, Malan strikes out against the corbie (#2) and casts spell of flame to engulf the corbie and the spider behind him.

Rapier: arcane pool (+1), bless, spell combat
to hit 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 1 + 1 - 2 = 24 damage 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 + 1 = 3

Caster Level 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Burning Hands 2d4 ⇒ (2, 1) = 3 dc 14

confirm crit: arcane pool (+1), bless, spell combat
to hit 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 4 + 1 + 1 - 2 = 18 damage 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 + 1 = 6


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Corinna almost drops the dagger wet with hot, sticky corbie blood in revulsion but forces herself to hold onto it; unfortunately, she might yet need it. Quickly surveying the scene over the body of the dead corbie, she sees Tevyn and Malan enveloped in webs. Knowing that no retreat can be sounded while they're stuck, she calls out, "Tevyn, hold still!" Hoping that her warning will be enough to get him to lower his guard against her spell, she creates a drippy, slippery coating on his chain shirt.

Use bonded object to cast grease, giving Tevyn +10 to his Escape Artist and CMD for 2 minutes. I believe he can choose to willingly forgo a saving throw.

Star Voter 2013

Tevyn can indeed willingly forgo his saving throw if he so choose (and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't so choose).

In order for Malan to cast a spell while entangled, he needs to make a concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) or lose the spell. Also, I'll presume he casts defensively since he would take two attacks of opportunity otherwise. He should also have an additional -2 penalty to his attack rolls from being entangled, but that won't actually change his results.

Malan concentration to cast while entangled, DC 16: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16 -- success
Malan concentration to cast defensively, DC 17: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22 -- success
Dire Corby #2 Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 -- fail
Giant Spider Reflex: 1d204 ⇒ 46 -- A humorous typo on my part, so I thought I'd leave it.
Giant Spider's Real Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24 -- success

Tevyn feels the webs around him loosen a little as Corinna casts her spell. Meanwhile, despite the webs covering him, Malan continues to behave as if they aren't there. He first stabs #2 in the stomach, then follows up with a blast of flame that further burns the corby. Unfortunately, the flames only singe one of the spider's legs.

Next Up: Tevyn, Gilfroy, Melon, Spider-Humanoid, Giant Spider, Dire Corbies, Corinna, Malan.

2,801 to 2,850 of 3,213 << first < prev | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Jade Regent All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.