Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Navior's Jade Regent (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


2,651 to 2,700 of 3,213 << first < prev | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | next > last >>

Spivey shrugs. "Maybe they did it themselves. The corbies were not the original inhabitants, so they clearly moved in after it was abandoned. Perhaps it was abandoned because the corbies attacked." She shrugs again. "I don't know. I wasn't here."

She flies over by Corinna. "I arrived about ten years ago," she says. "My mistress was killed by a hungry plant and I was left wandering. I found the town and the ruined temple to Desna." She points back to the gate into the cemetery. "It's just outside the gate. It was clearly a sign, so I decided to stay and repair it. Unfortunately, it was too damaged and the corbies discovered me. I fled to here in this cemetery and began tending it instead. The corbies seem afraid of this cemetery. It must be the power of Desna protecting it."

She flies a short distance towards the gate. "I keep an eye on the town as well, but I have to keep out of sight. I'm good at hiding, but I don't have the power to fight the corbies. Not all of them." She turns back to face the party. "But maybe you can!" she says excitedly.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"Well, we came here in pursuit of a mystery, and now with some urgency to aid our friend. We didn't come prepared to liberate and abandoned town from crow people. However, since we will probably end up searching this castle, we'll no doubt encounter them and have to test ourselves against them. In the meantime, it might help our cause if you could possibly tell us anything you know about their strengths, weaknesses, and habits."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

What's the Knowledge roll for corbies? 1d20 ⇒ 7 That's a total of 18 if arcana, 16 if local. If it's nature, Tevyn's going to have to roll it.


"They go hunting sometimes yes? Everybody gots to eat." Melon thinks aloud, "We can probably trap a some like that; maybe more if they come looking for the missing ones."


Corinna Valdemar wrote:
What's the Knowledge roll for corbies? 1d20 That's a total of 18 if arcana, 16 if local. If it's nature, Tevyn's going to have to roll it.

It's nature.

Knowledge (nature) DC 16:
Dire corbies are monstrous humanoids that look like humanoid crows with black feathers and sharp beaks. Instead of wings, they have muscular arms with sharp claws. They are subterranean and usually make their homes in cliff-sides on the walls of underground chasms. They are very good at jumping and leaping, and are capable of making rapid vicious attacks after leaping. (In game terms, this ability is like a weaker pounce ability. The dire corby must make a successful Acrobatics check in order to make a full attack after leaping.)

Knowledge (nature) DC 21:
Dire corbies also have the ability to keep fighting when other creatures would normally be unconscious and dying. (They have the ferocity ability, and are conscious at negative hp, although they are still staggered and take damage every round unless they stabilize.)


"They are very strong, and they can leap about with great agility," Spivey says. "Two of them come out of the castle to hunt every other day. They usually hunt in the woods to the south. Sometimes they hunt in other areas, but they never come into the cemetery, so you could use here as a place to rest. I will happily provide you with healing if you need it."

She flies quickly and excitedly over to the shrine again and points to the copper bowl. "And this is holy water! You may take it if you wish. Every night as the stars come out, Desna blesses any water that is in the bowl, so it is easily replenished."


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Tevyn nods. "I have heard of these creatures before. They can certainly be dangerous but I thought they typically lived under ground. They're also known to be rather hard to kill. If we have to fight them, it will be difficult."

He looks at Melon. "They're more like people than birds. Kind of like crow-men without wings but claws and sharp beaks. I suspect they're more intelligent than you're thinking."


"If you wish, I can go find your friend at the crossroads," Spivey says, "and see if there is anything I can do for her. I can't promise anything, but I can try."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"Oh, here," Corinna offers, digging in her pack. "They're liable to be nervous about, well, strangers approaching, and I doubt there's anyone there who would know what you are. Let me send a note with you so they'll know you're a friend." She scribbles a few words on the corner of a piece of the paper she uses for stationery and then tears it off, trying to make sure it's small enough not to unbalance the tiny flyer. "There. That will tell them what you are and that you're there to help Ameiko. And tell them what you've told us about the castle and the corbies." She rolls up the scrap of paper into a miniature scroll and offers it to the lyrakien.

Corinna's note:
We are well. Spivey is from Elysium and should be trusted to do what she can for Ameiko. C.V.


Spivey nods vigorously, then takes the scroll and flutters through the air to the east side of the cemetery. She flies over the wooden fence and off into the forest.


Melon giggles as she sees the eager little lyrakien flutter off. "Isn't she the cutest!? I've always heard about strange little fairies and things. I never thought I'd actually see one." She drops her head sideways as an errant thought hit her, "Huh. Hey. I guess I still haven't. ...she said she wasn't a pixie..."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"And yet you claim to know someone who can conjure a magnificent mansion," Corinna mutters under her breath, glancing at Melon. "They're commonly mistaken for fey, but they're not from the First World, rather from a plane of the Outer Sphere. She's a lyrakien, which is a kind of azata, which is...," she tries to come up with an explanation that will satisfy Melon, "a tiny little angel from Desna, all right? Now if we're at all fortunate, she won't see something shiny halfway there and forget where she's going. So," she turns to Tevyn, "we have a castle full of evil bird-people. What is it that makes them hard to kill? Have they immunities to spells or to physical damage? If they live underground, I assume they can see in the dark."


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Tevyn looks regretfully after the departing lyrakien. "I wish we could have asked her the best way to get to the castle."

"Well," he says in response to Corinna's question, "I don't know of immunities along those lines. Only that after suffering wounds that would knock most creatures unconscious, they're able to keep fighting. They literally fight to the last. And they have an ability to leap upon their foe and bring all their attacks swiftly to bear, ripping and gouging. "


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"Er, lovely." Corinna's determination to get the job done and the caravan back on the road seems to quail at Tevyn's description of their foe. "Then how do you suggest we proceed?"

Can we see any sign of the castle from here? Towers or anything visible? I mean, how do you lose a castle?


Corinna Valdemar wrote:
Can we see any sign of the castle from here? Towers or anything visible? I mean, how do you lose a castle?

The castle is actually not very tall, so you can't see it from here in the cemetery. The best look you got at it was from the lighthouse. Only one tower rises higher than the castle walls, and that only by a small amount.

However, you do know where the castle is and getting to it shouldn't be difficult. It lies to the northwest of the village. The main road heads into the forest at the southwest side of the village and turns north. It seems likely that that road (or a branch of it) heads to the castle.


"We should do this as simply as possible. We can take the road to our destination."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"And then what?" she asks nervously. "Just march in the front door and start fighting? I have nine crossbow bolts and a dagger. These aren't goblins attacking the caravan across open terrain."


"You are so optimistic that you believe we will be able to get inside before the fighting starts." Malan says in all seriousness. "If these things are as volotile as Tevyn says, they will come out to give us combat well before we make the gate."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"Well, that would certainly make it easier to retreat," Corinna comments. "Better than walking into one's enemy's home and trusting that one will be able to make one's way out again when one needs to."


"And just so that we are clear, this is not field research or even a live fire exercise. This is the real thing. I know that you are ready for it. The question is, do you feel that you are ready for it?"

I figure the answer will be some form of no. From Corinna, a rather long form of no.


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Tevyn shrugs. "No one can know what'll happen until we try. Let's see if we can reach the castle. Be ready for human-like, wingless birds to leap out at you." He holds his bow with an arrow nocked, keeping a wary eye as he makes his way back toward where they believe the castle to believe.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Gilfroy will spam guidance on himself as they approach the castle. I don't know if mechanically he can apply the bonus to Perception; if not, apply it to his Initiative roll if they get ambushed.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2
Malan wrote:
"And just so that we are clear, this is not field research or even a live fire exercise. This is the real thing. I know that you are ready for it. The question is, do you feel that you are ready for it?"

She offers the elf a rather queasy smile as they follow Tevyn. "To be honest, I felt better before the mention of 'ripping and gouging.'"


"I don't mind going to the castle immediately," Melon adds, "but I would've thought it easier to ambush some hunting crows near here first. There would be less, with little chance of backup for them - and right afterward we can make a push for the castle; possibly even disguise ourselves as crowfolk. We'd have a much better idea what to expect foe-wise after a small battle with them under our terms."


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"That is an extremely sensible idea!" Gilfroy exclaims, looking surprised.


"I would not be opposed to the idea. My only concern is for how long we have or, more appropriately, how long Ameiko has. Spivey said that they send out hunting parties. How long will we need to lie in wait for one to come out?"


"I want to help Ameiko as much as the" she looks askance at Corinna, then finishes a little weakly, "rest of us. But, I don't think we can storm and clear the castle by nightfall. Ameiko apparently is not getting any worse right now, so I think it is okay to wait it out one or two days to pick the right time."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"How could you possibly know Ameiko's 'not getting any worse?'" Corinna asks, with a curious glance at Melon. "We left her on the road and came into Brinewall as soon as we got back here."


"Well we don't know since we left her - but until the crossroads things looked pretty stable. And if something dramatic happened then the guys might have tried to get hold of us. I figure we can wait til the tiny angel is back."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"Oh. I wasn't under the impression she was coming straight back. I thought she was going to stay and tend to Ameiko while we started to sort out her corbie problem. But if everyone else is comfortable letting Ameiko stay delirous and unconscious for days...."


"Why would she not come back? Either she can help Ameiko, in which case somebody else will come to let us know - or she can't, in which case there are plenty of people looking after Ameiko, but nobody looking after Desna's shrine, or us should we get into trouble." Melon adds, "You may be right that we need to get into the castle as soon as possible, though. But if we cannot succeed at what we need to do there on the first try, then the next time we get there we can expect the entire place will be on high alert."


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Gilfroy looked intent at Melon's suggestion, but then unsure at Malan's sensible rebuttal. "Perhaps we can lure out a scouting party? Spivey mentioned that some guys had recently come looking for treasures and the corbies fought them off. I think it's safe to guess that those raiders came in that ship and were presumably taken unawares. There may be pitch, tar, or other flammables on board, which we could use to setup our own ambush."


Melon grabs Gilfroy and ruffles his hair vigorously, "I just love what is going on inside that head of yours. That could work."


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Gilfroy, quite affronted, fixes his hair, and mutters darkly, "I doubt you would."


"I believe Gilfroy's suggestion to be our best option. We may be able to lure out a group or encounter one as a matter of course. Also, any supplies left on the craft could serve to make us stronger."


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

"I don't believe that time is on Ameiko's side," Tevyn states plainly. "And while we're trying to use unfamiliar ground to set up an ambush on creatures whose movements we have no knowledge of, Ameiko and the rest of the caravan are exposed. Furthermore, we told them that we'd be coming back by nightfall."

He shakes his head. "An ambush can only be successful if you know where the enemy is coming from and in what numbers. We have no information except that they might be somewhere out there and we have no way of knowing how reliable the source of that information is. And given that we have no certain knowledge of how stable Ameiko's condition is, I think we should act quickly."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"It's not like the caravan is safe on the road," Corinna agrees. "They're not in town; they're still in the Nolands, with hordes of crazed berserkers swarming over the land somewhere, and if they're attacked, they can't try to run, even if they were willing to leave us behind, not with Ameiko in the wagon having to stay where she is. They're stuck in an not-very-defensible position. Anyway," she goes on, "I work for Sandru, not for Ameiko. If you intend to camp in here while you work things out, I'm going back to the road in the interim to try to protect the caravan, as I signed on to do."


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"And as we'd be very exposed digging around the ship, we might bring the whole...what? Flock? Crows are a murder; ravens are an unpleasantness. Neither option is all that palatable. If we had days, we could try something, but as it is, we may not even have hours, so we head for the castle as quietly as possible, and search for some sort of artifact of a long ago magic that could be doing this."


"Then let us dash! Before reason trips us up with common sense and clobbers us with wit," Melon says. "Not my words. I just copied them."


You make your way along the south side of the lagoon, past several old, ruined buildings (although not falling apart to the same degree as the ones by the cemetery) and west into another patch of forest. The road turns north here and winds back and forth a little bit before the castle comes into view.

The castle is a squat structure (only two storeys tall, with the exception of one tower that's about three storeys), but wide and intimidating. It is built of grey stone. From a distance, you catch sight of one figure standing on the ramparts over the main gate. It's too far to make out any details of the individual, such as race. Combined with the tree cover, the distance is more than far enough back for you to quickly take cover to avoid being seen. All of you taking 10 on Stealth will easily beat its Perception check once distance and inattention penalties are taking into account. :)

How would you like to handle your approach?

Corinna Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Gilfroy Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Malan Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Melon Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Tevyn Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Sentry Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Map Updated


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Peering at the castle walls between the trees, Tevyn scratches at his beard as he thinks. "If one of them is out keeping watch we can expect others to be too. Getting in without raising an alarm could be tricky."

What kind of shape is the castle in? Are the walls intact or crumbling? Does it look like there might be openings in the wall that could be climbed through? Also, what time of day is it now?


The castle has not been particularly well-maintained, but it's not falling over either. The walls look solid apart from numerous arrow slits. From this side, there are no visible openings in the wall large enough to climb through.

It's currently late afternoon.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"I don't suppose we could just knock on the gate and ask to borrow a cup of sugar," Corinna murmurs. "If one of us presented a target and then fled around the bend in the road, do you suppose the guard would open the gate to give chase and everyone else could pounce on him?"


Every other building is in disrepair. Perhaps its the same for the castle. There could be a break in the wall if we look for it.


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

"I was thinking the same, Malan," Tevyn whispers back. "But it looks to be in better condition than I'd thought. If we had a better idea of just how many are in there we could try Corinna's idea but if it turns out that there are a lot of them on guard that could backfire on us. Maybe we should try to scout it out a little and see if there's another entrance."


If you're going to scout around, do you wish to go together as a group or just have one or two people sneak on their own? Also, which direction around the castle, clockwise or counter-clockwise?


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

I'd rather divide into Team Sneaky and Team Not-Sneaky again. That will let the Not-Sneakies at least keep an eye on the front gate and the humanoid on the rampart.

"Do you think it's locked?" Corinna asks, having spent Tevyn and Malan's interaction squinting through the foliage at the gate. "I could send my unseen servant to open it, if it's not."

What's the scale on the map, Navior? Corinna would have to get within 30 feet of the gate to be in range.


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

I'd be in favor of sending only Team Sneaky out to scout rather than the whole party. And hey, this time I can be part of Team Sneaky! Clockwise would be my suggestion.

Tevyn shrugs. "I don't know if it'd be locked or not. Corbies are probably smart enough to think of that, but they might also be confident enough not to bother."

"If you can get it open, that'd be a nice start. Otherwise I'd suggest that a few of us who can move quietly enough make a circle of the castle to see what we can. Perhaps we can start by going to the left and move around from there.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Corinna nods. "If you don't find a better way in, we can chance it. If it is locked, all we've lost is a spell, and we likely won't even have tipped the corbies off to our presence." She'll wait behind the treeline while the more stealthy party members scout the perimeter.

Looks like it's the spellcasters on Team Not-Sneaky and Tevyn and Melon on Team Sneaky.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

I have +4. Gilfroy can be subtle!

2,651 to 2,700 of 3,213 << first < prev | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Jade Regent All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.