Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Navior's Jade Regent (Inactive)

Game Master Navior


2,101 to 2,150 of 3,213 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>

Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Tevyn finds himself enjoying the day of travel, though he also thinks a brief encounter with a goblin or two might make for a pleasant change of pace and some decent exercise. He doesn't stay in one place as the caravan moves, preferring to guide his horse around it as the hours pass so that he can keep an eye on everything.

When the caravan slows to a halt to set up camp, he helps out where he can and keeps himself busy until supper is prepared, at which point he seeks out Ameiko and settles down to eat near her. He listens attentively to her performance and feels a little of the sorrow in her music settle into his chest but applauds with appreciation as she finishes.

"I quite enjoy your music," he tells her afterwords. "The samisen truly produces a sweet sound."

He listens attentively to Malan as well, and attempts to hide any wincing from the occasional sour note.

"Well played, Malan," he says after the performance.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Gilfroy watches Corinna vacate the area as the music starts. He listens for awhile, then follows her.

"So, is it music that's not to your liking, or the musician?" he asks, popping up in a Melon-esque fashion as Corinna sets out to write her "letter".

Figuring that since they're about to start a private conversation, Gilfroy is distracted as he keeps an eye out for Melon. He readies a colour spray to blast the first monk he sees.


Gilfroy Fezziwig wrote:
Figuring that since they're about to start a private conversation, Gilfroy is distracted as he keeps an eye out for Melon. He readies a colour spray to blast the first monk he sees.

Why is the image of Gilfroy blasting Melon with a colour spray so utterly hilarious? :)

"Yes, very well played," Ameiko says to Malan. She seems quite sincere in her statement. "Before today, I didn't even realize you were musical."

"Seeing as we have two musicians," Koya pipes up. "Why don't the two of you play together? Give us something lively that we can dance to!"

Ameiko shrugs and starts playing a lively tune and looks to Malan to join in.

Koya looks about her. "Now, where did Gilfroy get to?" She shrugs and turns to Tevyn. "You, young man, care to dance?" If he turns her down, she shrugs and gets one of the drivers to dance with her.

Despite her advancing years, Koya is still light on her feet. She's far from a brilliant dancer, but she does a competent job.


Occasional sour note, indeed! You just don't have an appreciation for fine elven music.
"Actually, I'm still learning. I should be proficient in another 5 or 10 years, but I like to play anyway. Malan readily joins in.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2
Gilfroy Fezziwig wrote:

Gilfroy watches Corinna vacate the area as the music starts. He listens for awhile, then follows her.

"So, is it music that's not to your liking, or the musician?" he asks, popping up in a Melon-esque fashion as Corinna sets out to write her "letter".

"Oh!" Corinna jumps, startled, at the gnome's sudden appearance. "Mr. Fezziwig." She manages a smile that quickly sours as she considers his question. "If I wanted to spend my time listening to people pay compliments to Ameiko Kaijitsu, I'd have stayed in Sandpoint."


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Tevyn looks uncertain for a minute and then nods. "It would be my pleasure, Koya."

He stands and moves with her into a dance.

Not sure if there's a check that'd be appropriate for that. It's not a performance, really. Perhaps a dex check?: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22


Sense Motive 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Melon watches a bit puzzled as the gnome goes away from what should prove to be far more fun and exciting than the perimeter circle. Then she considers his direction and realizes he's likely going off after Corinna. With a sly smile she nudges Sandru and in a conspiratory tone she nudges quietly and winks, "I think Fezzi is sweet on Corinna, ey, ey?"


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"Well now, that's just silly. Of you didn't want to hear Ameiko get compliments, you shouldn't have joined her caravan! What did she ever do to you, anyway?"


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"It's not Ameiko's caravan," she bristles. "It's Mr. Vhiski's; she's just hired it temporarily. And she's never done anything to me," she goes on more quietly, "except to succeed effortlessly at everything that I've only achieved with great difficulty -- or never achieved at all. I spent my childhood watching her be complimented for her beauty and talent and... and pluck. The best thing about going to Korvosa, as homesick as I was, was being around people who had never even heard of Ameiko Kaijitsu and for once having a chance to make my own impression on people without being constantly measured against her standard. I'll never have the crowd of fawning admirers she does," she admits, "but I've earned some respect at the Academae, based on my own effort and discipline, not on my ability to flirt and bat my eyelashes."


I'm going to move the timeframe forward, but Corinna and Gilfroy are welcome to continue their conversation.

We haven't had a finalized statement of exactly what role each PC has in the caravan. I have Corinna as a guide, and Tevyn and Melon as guards. There was a mention of Malan being a spellcaster; however, spellcaster just lets you do another job without meeting the prerequisites, so we still need to know what that other job is. And that leaves Gilfroy...

Day 2 Random encounter 10%: 1d100 ⇒ 4 -- encounter
Encounter type: 1d100 ⇒ 73
Day/Night?: 1d100 ⇒ 55

After dinner and dancing, the night winds down and people gradually retire to sleep. Bevelek seems intent on staying up later to tell rowdy stories, but even he soon finds himself too tired to stay awake. While the cooks and most of the drivers sleep in the covered wagons, a couple of drivers (like Bevelek, who just falls asleep near the fire) sleep on the ground.

17 ROVA, 4711 (2nd day of journey)

Those sleeping outside wake up to light rain falling (so do those in the wagons; they just get to wake up a little drier). After a quick breakfast, supplies are packed back up again and the horses tended to. The caravan then begins its journey once more.

The rain gets heavier as the day goes by, making for a dreary experience. The drivers and anyone sitting with them (like Sandru and Corinna) are soaked right through by lunch time. Lunch consists of dried fruit and jerky like yesterday. Thunder rumbles in the distance as lunch is served.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Gilfroy is on healer duty, though I think you only need a healer when you've been attacked. I know you can only switch once every 24 hours, so (asking Team Caravan) would it be best if stay healer all the time, or just switch to healer the day after an attack, doing entertainer the rest of the time/

"Strange. It never once even occured to me to compare you to Ameiko. Let's see..." he looks back in the direction of the music, "hmmm...well, she's prettier than you are. I suppose we should give her credit for that being born to better-looking parents. Way to go Ameiko on that one. Look, I'm not going to pretend you're being silly and childish, and I'm not going to point out that the things you've had to work for to earn are a whole lot more impressive than the gods-given ability to bat eyelashes or bake yummy cookies. That would only belittle the obviously very real pain you experienced growing up. I won't even deny that you probably did get unfavourable comparisons as a child. Every parent always looks at other children and sees everything they wish their own children had. You think this is what my parents had in mind for me? Well, actually, wandering off to pursue some adventure in a rustic caravan is probably exactly what they had in mind for me..." he trails off, looking inwardly for a moment and not liking what he sees, then he comes back to the conversation at hand, "...but I wasn't like Malachy Greennozzle, who knew better not to do all sorts of things I liked doing and I never heard the end of it. Of course, the people in Sandpoint would also be totally ennamoured with the naturally pretty and vivacious girl over the shy one with a big nose. Of course, it seems to me, the opinions of simple villagers too stupid to know what a simple cantrip is shouldn't really matter compared to those of learned colleagues. Just smile at them, nod sagely, and know inside that they're sweet to have their concerns for you, but don't really know bupkiss."

"Of course, I'd never say any of that to you, as I'm sure it would be incredibly condescending and patronizing."


Malan is going to go with Spellcaster. He'll serve the function of a scout for now and give the caravan a +1 on security checks. The roll of Spellcaster might work well for Gilfroy and Corinna too as it allows you to take on one of many roles, even ones you aren't otherwise eligible to do. Just another way in which spell casters are awesome.


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

After the music comes to a halt, Tevyn thanks Koya for the dance, bows slightly and seeks out a bed. He sleeps beneath one of the wagons (if the space is available) and takes watch at whatever time he's asked to.

In the morning he silently stretches, checks his bowstring and moves to ready his horse for the day's ride. He's displeased at the rain for interfering with his eyesight and making him have to take extra care with his bow but doesn't comment on it.

He breakfasts with Ameiko. "How'd you sleep? Much as I dread riding in the rain, I rather enjoy sleeping in a dry place with the sound of raindrops." He engages in simple conversation with her and tries to make her smile before finishing and getting started with the day.

Charisma check to earn the smile (I totally forgot about this earlier):1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Corinna's eyes fly wide open in horror at the gnome's characterization of her nose. She puts her hand to her face and tries to pretend she's smoothing her hair while simultaneously covering the unsightly feature. "I know it's ungrateful not to be satisfied with my career. You think I haven't heard that from my cousins, when they show off their homes and children? 'Oh, but Corinna, you have your career instead of a family. Your education was much more expensive than a dowry.' My best friend from the Academae never finished her degree. She dropped out and married an officer in the Korvosan guard, and everyone gossipped about her in the dormitory: foolish Vibia, who only came to Korvosa to catch a husband. Now she has a home and three small children. I have a furnished flat with a bath down the hall I share with five other tutors and can summon a fire beetle to this plane of existence for six seconds. I've had a career and the best education my uncle's money could buy ... and I fear it was a bad bargain. I might have thrown it all away by joining this caravan, you know. I'm supposed to be back in Korvosa for the new semester next week. They'll give my flat to someone else, and there's nothing to say they'll hold my position for me until I return. I haven't tenure. So in one breath you urge me to join this foolish quest to satisfy the curiosity of a woman I've always resented at the cost of my job, and in the next you tell me not to resent her because of the career I've just left behind. Which is it?"

17 ROVA, 4711 (2nd day of journey)

Corinna comes out the next morning to take her position up front, wearing her hooded cloak pulled up far forward over her face. She is glad of the heavy rain, as it gives her good reason to keep her face and its attached nose hidden from view as much as possible.


Tevyn wrote:

He breakfasts with Ameiko. "How'd you sleep? Much as I dread riding in the rain, I rather enjoy sleeping in a dry place with the sound of raindrops." He engages in simple conversation with her and tries to make her smile before finishing and getting started with the day.

Charisma check to earn the smile (I totally forgot about this earlier):1d20 + 1

Smile bonus earned.

"Not bad," Ameiko says with a shrug and a smile. "It's been awhile since I've travelled like this, so I'm not quite used to it anymore." She rubs the back of her neck. "I've got a bit of a crick in my neck, but otherwise, it was fine. I'll get used to it again soon enough, I'm sure. As for the rain, I kind of like the rain." She smiles and steps out into the rain. "It can be refreshing."

By lunchtime, however, she's clearly no longer enjoying the rain.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Gilfroy giggles. "I don't think I've heard somebody so thoroughly dismiss as worthless the ability to summon an extra-planar creature, for however long. You've obviously been around people who know way too much stuff to truly appreciate how amazing that is. And you're also obviously used to having people know the same things as you. I didn't realize you were giving up your career by coming with us. That's too bad, but anyway, I thought you were just going our way on your way to Riddleport. I didn't realized you'd actually joined our foolish quest to satisfy the curiosity of a woman you've always resented."

"And I never meant I thought you had a big nose, I just guessed that you think you do. I'm a gnome. The girls I knew growing up would have been humiliated to have a nose that small. Hmmm...guess that doesn't make you feel better, does it?"


Back on her seat on the second wagon, Melon hollers towards the front: "Hey Sandru! Where will we make camp tonight? A place with an inn perhaps?"


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2
Gilfroy Fezziwig wrote:

Gilfroy giggles. "I don't think I've heard somebody so thoroughly dismiss as worthless the ability to summon an extra-planar creature, for however long. You've obviously been around people who know way too much stuff to truly appreciate how amazing that is. And you're also obviously used to having people know the same things as you. I didn't realize you were giving up your career by coming with us. That's too bad, but anyway, I thought you were just going our way on your way to Riddleport. I didn't realized you'd actually joined our foolish quest to satisfy the curiosity of a woman you've always resented."

"And I never meant I thought you had a big nose, I just guessed that you think you do. I'm a gnome. The girls I knew growing up would have been humiliated to have a nose that small. Hmmm...guess that doesn't make you feel better, does it?"

"No, it really doesn't," she replies but smiles faintly. "And you're right: I haven't actually joined your foolish quest. I'm ... on one of my own, I suppose. I'm travelling with the caravan as far as Riddleport. From there, well, if I don't find what I'm looking for, I hope at least to find a clue to tell me which way to go next. If I don't do that... then I suppose I've thrown away my job and reputation and the trust of my family for nothing. But I haven't done it for Ameiko Kaijitsu," she concludes emphatically.

17 ROVA, 4711 (2nd day of journey)

Corinna takes advantage of the relative privacy afforded by the rain and the cover of the hood that helps her hide her face to broach a subject to Sandru during the morning drive. "Mr. Vhiski," she begins hesitantly, "have you any family at all? That you know of, that is? I understand that men who travel a great deal can be unaware of, er, exactly what they leave behind...." She trails off, ducking her head miserably to hide both her big nose and her red cheeks, having managed to be both mildly insulting and overly familiar.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"Of course not! Perish the thought!"

Gilfroy chuckles to himself as he departs into the night, snuggling in to his little cart with his warm blankets and stretched oiled canvas over him.

All night long, the animated shadows that play around him keep yanking the blankets off his feet. The night is filled with the occasional barrage of cursing from the gnome. He wakes up the next morning, bleary-eyed and quite irritable. Not in a mood to deal with the recalcitrant pony, Gilfroy simply ties one end of his rope to Umbral's reins, and the other to the back of the wagon in front of him.


Sandru takes a moment before replying. "It depends how you define family, I suppose," he eventually says. "If you mean blood relations, I have an older brother, Jubrayl. We don't speak much. My parents died when I was seven, and I and my younger brother Alder were raised by Koya. So I count her as family too. She was a far better mother than my real one ever was. Alder died back when we made our disastrous attempt to be adventurers. Ameiko and I were the only survivors of that. She and Alder were...well, very close. She probably would have ended up as family had he lived, so I pretty much give her that honorary position and treat her like a sister."

He falls silent again, staring ahead into the rain. He looks about to say something more, when he suddenly turns his head and leans to try to peer back behind the wagon. "Do you hear that?"

There is definitely what sounds like a voice yelling, but the sound of the rain and dull thunder is drowning it out. Sandru stands up to get a better view, then promptly sits back down again. "It's just Melon," he says. He looks set to ignore her, but then sighs. "I suppose I'd better go see what she wants." He starts to get up, but turns to Corinna. "Now she's a weird one. She's been hanging around Ameiko for years and years. Just sort of shows up, vanishes for a while, then shows up again. I'm not sure she's as close to Ameiko as she believes she is."

Sandru gets up again, and Bevelek slows the wagon a little to allow him to hop safely down. He then hurries back to the next wagon to see what Melon wants. After hearing her question, he sighs and says, "Probably not. There are no permanent settlements for another couple of days. We're in the heart of goblin territory. Nobody settles down here for long."

He then heads back to the front wagon again, and climbs back up. "She wanted to know if we'd reach an inn tonight."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Knowledge (geography) to figure out what might be the first settlement the caravan does go through 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

"Tired of her 'adventure' already, is she?" Corinna asks dryly. "From the stories she tells about her own experiences, you'd think she was a seasoned traveller, as comfortable out in the mud and rain as she is sitting in front of a fire. Not that I'm having the time of my life," she admits, adjusting the soggy folds of her cloak so that the puddle that is slowly gathering in her lap runs off onto the wood of the wagon seat. "But then, I never expected to enjoy this. I mean..," she blushes at her inadvertant complaint.

Charisma check 1d20 ⇒ 16


Melon chatters with her driver. The weather being a recurring villain in her words.


Corinna Valdemar wrote:
Knowledge (geography) to figure out what might be the first settlement the caravan does go through 1d20+9

Galduria is the first. You will probably reach it on the fifth day of travel. After that, settlements will be more common, and you'll likely reach at least a small one on most days of the journey until Riddleport.

Corinna Valdemar wrote:

"Tired of her 'adventure' already, is she?" Corinna asks dryly. "From the stories she tells about her own experiences, you'd think she was a seasoned traveller, as comfortable out in the mud and rain as she is sitting in front of a fire. Not that I'm having the time of my life," she admits, adjusting the soggy folds of her cloak so that the puddle that is slowly gathering in her lap runs off onto the wood of the wagon seat. "But then, I never expected to enjoy this. I mean..," she blushes at her inadvertant complaint.

Charisma check 1d20

Sandru chuckles. "No worries," he says with a smile. "Few people like it when they're not used to it, and it does take some getting used to."


The rains does begin to dry up later in the afternoon. By 4 o'clock, you're mostly just dealing with the aftereffects: a muddy road and said mud splashing up under the hoofs of the horses and the wheels of the wagons. None of the wagons get stuck in the mud, thank goodness.

As the evening starts to settle in, Sandru calls for a stop along a relatively dry (i.e. still wet, but not quite so muddy) stretch of land beside the road. As the wagons are directed off to the side, and people start preparing a camp, Shalelu returns from her scouting duties and heads straight over to Sandru.

"There's another caravan just up ahead," she says. "A group of Varisians, four wagons, maybe a dozen people total."

"Well, I suppose we should greet them," Sandru replies. He goes to stand at the side of the road to wait for the caravan's approach.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2
Sandru Vhiski aka Navior wrote:
Sandru chuckles. "No worries," he says with a smile. "Few people like it when they're not used to it, and it does take some getting used to."

Sandru's chuckle gives her the confidence to continue the conversation rather than sink into embarrassed silence. "I expect the first real town we'd get to would be Galduria?" she asks. "They've a school of magic there, you know, quite a new one in comparison to the Academae and the Stone. If we've time as we're passing through, I should be very interested in taking a look around it. What I've heard hasn't been, er, flattering," she admits, "but there's always a bit of professional jealousy involved, you know. The administration at the Academae speaks almost as dismissively of the Stone of the Seers, and they're quite respectable in divination and abjuration."

Later, setting up camp

Navior wrote:

As the wagons are directed off to the side, and people start preparing a camp, Shalelu returns from her scouting duties and heads straight over to Sandru.

"There's another caravan just up ahead," she says. "A group of Varisians, four wagons, maybe a dozen people total."

"Well, I suppose we should greet them," Sandru replies. He goes to stand at the side of the road to wait for the caravan's approach.

When Corinna hears about their incipient company, she pulls her damp hood back over her head nervously and dithers somewhere near Sandru's shoulder to overhear the conversation.


During the evening camp, Malan tries to catch up to Corinna. He finally catches up to her and Sandru as they wait for the other caravan. "Miss Corinna, I was thinking that this journey would give be quite an opportune time to exchange spells as well as practice in the practical application of spells."


Melon waves at the new arrivals, standing atop her perch on the second wagon. "Aaahoooooy!" Then she realizes that the other caravan could spell trouble as well, so she hurries off to get to Ameiko's side. "Should we be weary of trouble?" she asks as she finds her.


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

"Most of you Varisian caravans are friendly to each other, aren't you?" Gilfroy asks Koya as the presence of the other caravan causes a flurry of activity.


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Tevyn spends much of the day riding with the hood of his cloak pulled over his head to keep the rain off and his bow kept close to his side, also wrapped to protect it from the wet. Though he doesn't mind the weather as much as some of the others, he is glad for the stop, looking forward to a little bit of shelter.

He pulls up his horse beside where Ameiko is huddled in time to overhear Melon's comment to her.

"Weary, no. Wary, perhaps. For the moment, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt but keep watchful." He stands in his stirrups, trying to get a better look of the strangers.

Perception check (as they approach): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23


Gilfroy Fezziwig wrote:
"Most of you Varisian caravans are friendly to each other, aren't you?" Gilfroy asks Koya as the presence of the other caravan causes a flurry of activity.

Koya shrugs. "Most of the time, I suppose," she says, peering down the road where the approaching caravan is just becoming visible as small, indistinct shapes. "But people are people," she continues, "Varisian or otherwise. Sometimes people don't get along, regardless of race or blood. There's probably nothing to worry about, but we shouldn't let our guard down entirely."


Tevyn wrote:

He pulls up his horse beside where Ameiko is huddled in time to overhear Melon's comment to her.

"Weary, no. Wary, perhaps. For the moment, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt but keep watchful." He stands in his stirrups, trying to get a better look of the strangers.

Ameiko stifles a chuckle at the weary/wary comment. "It's unlikely that we have anything to worry about," she says as she regains her composure. "But you're right to stay watchful. You never know."


Tevyn wrote:
Perception check (as they approach): 1d20 + 8

Corinna Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Gilfroy Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Malan Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Melon Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Ameiko Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
Koya Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Sandru Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Shalelu Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31

As the caravan gets closer, it becomes more possible to make out the individual forms composing it. Tevyn (and soon the others) can see that there are indeed 4 wagons as Shalelu reported: two supply wagons, one covered wagon, and a fortune-teller's wagon. Only two people walk on the ground. Both are armed and armoured, but don't have their weapons drawn. While they are maintaining wary (but not weary) stances, they are not threatening. Apart from the drivers of each wagon, it would seem that everyone else is currently inside one or more of the wagons.

The wagons slow down as they get closer and then stop a short distance from your caravan. The driver of the lead wagon calls out, "Ho there!"

Sandru calls back, "Greetings!" He then switches to Varisian.

Varisian:
"It's good to see other travellers on the road. We've not seen anyone since we left Sandpoint yesterday morning. Perhaps we can share a campsite and exchange stories."

This is the random encounter I rolled at the beginning of the day). The results are determined by a Resolve roll from your caravan. With a success, the other caravan camps overnight with you and you have a chance to gain information and trade. With a failure, the other caravan moves on ahead to camp on their own. I don't really want to pass up the opportunity for some fun roleplay, so I'll allow PC actions to adjust (for good or ill) the results of the Resolve roll. The Caravan Team may feel free to make that roll. It's much like making a Diplomacy check, really (indeed, I'll allow Diplomacy rolls to act as aid another rolls for the Resolve check).


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

So in other words, if we want to get some money out of this encounter, we need to tie up Melon now and hide her in a wagon.

"So there's no great brotherhood of the road? That's oddly disappointing in its non-romanticism."

Gilfroy will cast prestidigitation and make his way forwards, smiling and greeting and performing minor tricks of legerdemain. Not sure what kind of skill that needs, since he's faking it with spell casting.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28


Gilfroy Fezziwig wrote:

Gilfroy will cast prestidigitation and make his way forwards, smiling and greeting and performing minor tricks of legerdemain. Not sure what kind of skill that needs, since he's faking it with spell casting.

Diplomacy: 1d20+10

I figure it would be a Perform check, but I'll allow it to aid the Resolve check. I'll take the roll you made, but substitute your Perform bonus instead, making the final result 23. Still a pretty impressive result. :)

The driver of the lead wagon grins and laughs. He calls back to the people inside (it's the covered wagon), and several people stick their heads out to watch Gilfroy's display.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2
Malan wrote:
During the evening camp, Malan tries to catch up to Corinna. He finally catches up to her and Sandru as they wait for the other caravan. "Miss Corinna, I was thinking that this journey would give be quite an opportune time to exchange spells as well as practice in the practical application of spells."

"Oh! Er, of course," she responds, distracted by the approaching caravan. "Perhaps if we can find some quiet time conducive to study, at any rate, without people singing at all hours of the night," she qualifies, a bit cattily. "Which wouldn't be tonight, I suppose, if we're to have company." Her eyes return to the caravan as Sandru exchanges greetings with it, and she switches to Varisian to call out:

Varisian:
"Yes, please, we'd be honored by your company."

Diplomacy 1d20 ⇒ 4

Sadly, her voice quavers with nerves and seems barely to carry to the other wagons.

Well, that's not an Aid Another; I hope there's not a Hinder Another option available. :P


Melon waves as the caravan approaches.

Varisian:

Had to double check, but yea, Melon is Varisian and hence speaks this strange amalgam.

"We travel north but if you wary you can camp with us - we have tales of adventure and heroics!"

Diplomacy 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

There is a collective thud behind Melon as several jaws hit the ground at the marvel of Melon's unexpectedly charming enthusiasm and greeting.


"Excellent! We'll start tonight." Malan points to Gilfroy's use of prestidigitation. "Practical is not usually textbook. Help me with one song using the simplest of spells. We'll get Gilfroy to help coordinate everything. This should be easy for you. You probably did something similar at the academy."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

Corinna looks slightly shocked at Malan's suggestion. "What? Like a street performer busking on a corner? The Academae doesn't train bards, you know." Her voice drips with condescension at the word. "I mean, it's all very well for people to whom it comes naturally, but one doesn't study for years to astound the yokels at the harvest festival."


Malan is a bit surprised at Corinna's response to his suggestion. "Miss Corinna, perhaps street performers do busk yokels on a corner, and perhaps bards are looked down upon in human society, but among my people, bards are renowned for the their exsquisite performances. Performances enhanced by the practical application of their limited repetoire of spells. Be assured that I hold no hope in molding you into a bard. I merely considered the exercise would not only help you to expand your scope and range of thought, but also would be a good place to start before going into more martial applications.
Now if you would rather only discuss theory, I am willing to do that as well. I made the suggestion only because you make it a point to let us know that, even though you insist on getting yourself into volatile situations, you are not an adventuring wizard and do not know how to defend yourself."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

She barks out a short laugh. "And you think if I perform, I'll have to defend myself from an angry crowd?" Fearing uncomfortably that her burst of laughter might have attracted attention, she steps closer to the elf and goes on more quietly, "When I was a girl, Mr. Drokkus at the theater put on a children's talent show. I've never demonstrated any kind of artistic ability, but I've always had a good memory so my mother thought I could memorize a poem to recite. I practiced for weeks and knew that verse inside-out and upside-down, but I got up on stage with half the town staring at me and couldn't remember a word. I stammered through a couple of lines and ran off the stage and swore I'd never perform in front of an audience again. That's part of the reason why I wanted to be trained as a wizard in the first place. You don't have to be funny or talented or charming; you only have to be smart."


Malan gives a rare smile. "Then all you need do is be smart enough to keep up with my flute playing. Between your stage fright and my lack of talent, we shall put on an unforgetable show."


I think the Caravan Team (i.e. Dax/Malan) missed that they needed to make a Resolve roll for the caravan, so I'll go ahead and make it.

Caravan Resolve, aid from Gilfroy and Melon: 1d20 + 8 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 8 + 4 = 31 -- success

Gilfroy soon has most of the other caravan laughing and clapping, and Melon manages to surprise everyone (especially Sandru) by being of help in the negotiations. Corinna's barked laugh goes unnoticed, probably because everyone just thinks she's laughing at Gilfroy's antics just like everyone else. As such, Sandru's discussions with the head of the other caravan (a man named Andrezi) go extremely well, and soon, both caravans are setting up camp together. Sandru announces (to much cheering from both groups) that there will be a feast and much singing and dancing tonight.

As this encounter has happened really early in the journey, there's probably not a lot you want to trade at this point. However, the other caravan can purchase up to 2000 gp worth of items from you and can sell anything on the caravan equipment table in the Player's Guide worth 200 gp or less.
The other caravan is able to provide you with information about the state of the road ahead and warn of goblin or bandit activity, reducing the chance of a random encounter to 5% for the next 1d6 ⇒ 3 days.


Half Elf Spirit Ranger / 2

Tevyn remains quiet during the opening exchanges between the caravan, especially since he never bothered to learn Varisian. Once everything is settled, however, he is polite and welcoming. Everyone's excitement so early in the journey amuses him and he watches with a slight smile as preparations are made for the feast and celebration.


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2
Malan wrote:
Malan gives a rare smile. "Then all you need do is be smart enough to keep up with my flute playing. Between your stage fright and my lack of talent, we shall put on an unforgetable show."

"Thank you, no," she replies firmly. "I put on 'an unforgettable show' at the Sandpoint Theater. I've certainly never forgotten it and have no interest in reliving it."


"Alright then. Study and thoery will do."


There is indeed much singing and dancing this night. The "feast" is not huge (as both groups have limited stores and don't want to use excess up), but it is delicious. Both your cooks and the cook from the other caravan excel themselves. There are a couple of children with the other caravan and they show particular interest in Gilfroy's magic tricks. They do their best to keep him performing for them until either he or they collapse from exhaustion.

18 ROVA, 4711 (3rd day of journey)

A little bit of extra time has to be spent tidying up from the night's merriment come morning. There are also farewells to be made as the two caravans prepare to go their separate ways. As such, the start of the day's journey is a little delayed, but not enough to impact the distance you should be able to cover today.

Sandru and Andrezi (the other caravan's head) thank each other for each other's hospitality after everyone else has had a chance to say goodbye, and then the two caravans pull back out onto the road, each heading in the opposite direction.

Day 3 Random Encounter 5%: 1d100 ⇒ 100 -- no encounter
Day 4 Random Encounter 5%: 1d100 ⇒ 28 -- no encounter
Day 5 Random Encounter 5%: 1d100 ⇒ 55 -- no encounter


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

During these next three days, Gilfroy also tries to get some lessons from Corinna.

"Corinna," he says one day after breakfast, but before departure. "What does magic look like? I think I know a new spell from Sivanah that lets me see the magic, but I don't really understand how to read it. Is that something you can teach me?"


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

17 ROVA, 4711

DM:
After dinner, Corinna uses the distraction of the entertainment nervously to inquire of the newcomers if they have met or heard of a caravaner named Pitivo of appropriate age and description. Diplomacy to gather information 1d20 ⇒ 1 Yeah, see, there's that Perform check Dax wanted me to roll. :P However, the strangers are far too entranced by the performance of the lovely and talented Ameiko to pay the slightest attention to her attempts to question them.

After the feast with the other caravan, Corinna can be observed to try to strike up a conversation with several of the people from the other caravan, but none of them seem to give her more than a few disinterested words in reply. One goes as far as to ask her to leave him alone and not distract him from the performance of the lovely Tien woman singing and playing. She gives up and is by far the earliest to retire to the wagons, tears glistening in her eyes, leaving the others to enjoy the party.

18 ROVA, 4711

In the morning, she doesn't emerge from the wagon until after Andrezi and his people have departed. Despite there being no rain, she keeps her hood pulled over her head and keeps quiet all day, barely speaking if spoken to. At lunch break, she claims she has a headache and spends the time inside away from the others. After the caravan has set up camp for the night, however, she approaches Malan as he is finishing his dinner, clutching her spellbook. "Assuming we can find somewhere quiet, where we won't be distracted," she says, flinging a cold look across the campsite at Ameiko, "we could compare spellbooks tonight, if you like."

PRD>Magic>Arcane Spells>Arcane Magical Writings wrote:

Spells Copied from Another's Spellbook or a Scroll: A wizard can also add a spell to his book whenever he encounters one on a magic scroll or in another wizard's spellbook. No matter what the spell's source, the wizard must first decipher the magical writing (see Arcane Magical Writings). Next, he must spend 1 hour studying the spell. At the end of the hour, he must make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell's level). A wizard who has specialized in a school of spells gains a +2 bonus on the Spellcraft check if the new spell is from his specialty school. If the check succeeds, the wizard understands the spell and can copy it into his spellbook (see Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook). The process leaves a spellbook that was copied from unharmed, but a spell successfully copied from a magic scroll disappears from the parchment.

If the check fails, the wizard cannot understand or copy the spell. He cannot attempt to learn or copy that spell again until one week has passed. If the spell was from a scroll, a failed Spellcraft check does not cause the spell to vanish.

Since we're both on hand to interpret the spells to one another, we don't have to decipher the writing, but it takes an hour of study, followed by an hour of copying if the Spellcraft check succeeds, to copy a 1st-level spell, so we'd probably only be able to copy one spell a night each, assuming we make the check. That's 2 hours of work and 10 gold for materials per spell. Corinna has corrosive touch, grease, mount, obscuring mist, and unseen servant that are on the magus spell list.

19 ROVA 4711, after breakfast

Gilfroy Fezziwig wrote:
"Corinna," he says one day after breakfast, but before departure. "What does magic look like? I think I know a new spell from Sivanah that lets me see the magic, but I don't really understand how to read it. Is that something you can teach me?"

Corinna looks a little surprised by the question. "I should think that, being an artist, it would come naturally to you," she replies. "At least, I've heard others who have artistic talent describe it as discerning between colors on a palette. I, er, I think it's different for different people, the way some people can taste a food and think it's delicious while other people find it unappetizing. The trick is, to figure out what the auras look like to you; then, once you recognize them on a familiar spell, you can pick out the same kind of aura on an unfamiliar one. To me, conjuration looks warm and abundant, almost alive, while necromancy is cold and pale and illusion looks shimmering and fragile, like a soap bubble about to pop. No offense," she says apologetically, knowing gnomes in general to be illusion specialists. "Here, she says, casting a quick resistance spell on herself and stepping back for him to examine, "what does this look like to you? To me, abjuration has a metallic tang."


AC 11/11/11; Max HP 20; Current HP 12 Effects:

Gilfroy casts detect magic and peers at Corinna.

"That's abjuration? I thought abjuration was the magic that blows stuff up. This magic is smooth and glassy, bright, like a mirror."


Female Human (Chelaxian) Wizard (conjuration) 2

"No, no," she laughs, "evocation blows things up. I haven't any spells that can do that, but try this one." She summons dancing lights between herself and the gnome. "It's daylight, so you can't see the lights, but look at the aura. To me, there's a brightness, like light shining through a keyhole."

2,101 to 2,150 of 3,213 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Navior's Jade Regent All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.