Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Motteditor's Witchwar Legacy PBP (Inactive)

Game Master motteditor


301 to 350 of 406 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

As you look around, Lefty, you don't find any doors, but you do spot several things that emanate magical auras, mostly among the remains: a chain shirt, a rapier, a belt, a circle of black cloth, a couple rings, and what appears to be a now-frozen potion. As you give the remains a closer look, you also find 4,700 gp in assorted coinage and gems.


Ever the optimist, Raulzig looks a bit disappointed.
"The cunning fiend disappeared just as we were about to serve it its fire-breathing backside on an ice-filled plate. Harumph. I guess I'll have to be less threatening going forward."

He takes interest in the ogre statue, the falchion on the floor and the spot on the north wall it seemed to point to.
Perception: 1d20 + 34 ⇒ (9) + 34 = 43

He helps to examine the assorted loot found by Lefty.
Appraise: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (3) + 22 = 25, or just take 10 where possible.
Detect Magic as needed.


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10

I'll help.

appraise: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22
spellcraft: 1d20 + 29 ⇒ (20) + 29 = 49

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

You believe the items are a +1 improved shadow chain shirt, a +2 rapier, a belt of dwarvenkind, a portable hole, a ring of counterspells (currently empty), a ring of invisibility, and a frozen potion of cure serious wounds.

The statue looks like it was once alive, but then turned to stone. There doesn't seem to be anything on the north wall that it's pointing toward.


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10

Nice! Who else wants to be invisible at will? The portable hole will be good for storing all the loot we're absolutely guaranteed by the gods to get as we go along. I don't want to carry it, myself.


Ryarg has enough trouble getting Bern to do what he wants when he's visibly looming over him, so invisible might not be the best thing.


Raulzig is fascinated with the portable hole and wants to carry it around (along with all the loot we put in it, hehe). Other items do not interest him so much.


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Flame) -3

Krokod eyes the material, seeing nothing in particular that he wants per se, "I leave it to others to stake their claim. Frankly that 'hole' looks like the sort of thing my old village would have stoned someone for."


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10

Go ahead, Raulzig. You can haul the goods. I guess we should get moving...

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

I'm assuming you're going through the door...

Walking down a 20-foot-long passage, you come to bars of ice blocking the way forward. On the other side of the bars, you can see a large, round room, its domed ceiling rising 30 feet overhead. Bars also block alcoves flanking a door to the north, as well as a passages to the east.

An elaborate ice throne sits within a raised alcove to the south, surveying the chamber. Heavy manacles are inset into the throne’s arms, back, and legs. Several more sets of manacles are spaced about the chamber’s walls, interspersed with various diabolical instruments of torture. A fifteen-foot-diameter cage of ice bars that extend from floor to ceiling dominates the center of the room. Floating within this cage is a huge sphere of crackling, gray energy.

1d20 + 19 ⇒ (20) + 19 = 39
Ouch

Perception 39:

You can see shadows that make you think some sort of humanoid is in the room as well, though not in plain sight. There appear to be seven of them.


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10

I'll move slowly and invisibly, take 20 (40), and wait for the rest of the gang. This bears careful study.

stealth: 1d20 + 52 ⇒ (10) + 52 = 62

message: Whoa. This is problematic. I'm guessing undead, or worse.

K. planes: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (17) + 23 = 40
K. religion: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

You believe the sphere is a massive negative energy elemental. Let me know what two details you want to know about it.


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10

Is it vulnerable to any energy types other than positive energy?

Could Dismissal remove it?


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Flame) -3

Krokod hangs back near the bear. He finds that much fur and muscle on their side oddly comforting

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

You believe it is only immune to negative energy, Lefty. You don't know of any reason a dismissal spell wouldn't work.


Raulzig sneaks into the room after Lefty.
Stealth: Take 10 = 40
Perception: Take 10 = 44
And immediately retreats to where the rest of the party is.
"Aside from this Undeath sphere, there are seven humanoid creatures waiting in shadows. Looks like an ambush. I suggest we prepare ourselves."
If there is time available before the encounter, Raulzig will cast another Haste and Tactical Acumen on party, and Shocking Image on himself, before re-entering the room.


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10

Lefty will retreat into the last room, too, and share what he knows. He'll use his rod of extend to cast Greater Invisibility on himself (32 rounds).

message: I'll toss a fireball in there to melt the bars and start the party. They should feel it. Any more preparations before we begin?


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Flame) -3

Krokod whispers, "Minimal, but..." He speaks the language of flame, and a shield of firebursts along one arm.

Casting 'Shield of the Dawnflower'. Anyone striking Krokod in melee takes 1d6 plus 15 hit points worth of fire dmg. Will last 17 rounds. "I am prepared."


Ryarg makes a grunting noise. In the snow/ice of the floor, he writes, "Me fill room with fire first. Then we go in."


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10

message: All right. That's 3 fire spells, then we see what's left. We can zip in afterwards, if the whole thing isn't melted to nothing. Ready, Raulzig?


Actually, not until tomorrow. But I don't have any offensive spells anyway so you can start without me :)
"Let's do it."
Init: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10

message: I have to put it through the bars to make it hurt more.

He gets sneak attack if he goes first. Aiming at the elemental, I want to melt the bars, too.

fireball: 17d6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 1, 1, 4, 1, 2, 5, 1, 6, 3, 6, 1, 3, 5, 6, 5, 6) + 2 = 64 DC 23, ref. for 1/2

CL check, if needed: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (15) + 20 = 35

init: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (6) + 13 = 19


Ryarg's firestorm: 17d6 ⇒ (6, 5, 2, 3, 3, 6, 5, 3, 3, 3, 2, 5, 1, 4, 6, 6, 3) = 66 Reflex DC 25

Not sure how many Spell Penetration rolls to make


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10
Ryarg Gravemaker wrote:


Ryarg's firestorm: 17d6 Reflex DC 25

Not sure how many Spell Penetration rolls to make

I'd just make one. It's one spell, and either does or doesn't beat their SR.


Okay.
Spell Penetration: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (8) + 17 = 25

Boo

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Ryarg, how are you casting firestorm? From what I can see it's just an oracle ability. That damage isn't factored in yet, since I'm not sure where it's coming from. Once I get that info, I'll adjudicate their actions, so you can all go in a row and react to whatever they do.

Surprise round:

Neg. elemental: 34
Others: 20
Lefty: 19
Raulzig: 17
Ryarg: 13
Krokod: 9

The bear and Lefty's spells suddenly explode in the room, melting all the ice bars and drawing roars of pain.

Mechanics:

Krokod Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Ryarg Init: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13
Elemental Init: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (20) + 14 = 34
Others Init:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Elemental Reflex save: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (9) + 20 = 29
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Elemental Reflex save (firestorm): 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (9) + 20 = 29

Elemental: 32
Other: 32
Other: 64
Other: 32
Other: 64
Other: 64
Other: 64
Other: 64

No caster level checks needed, so no worries about that.


Fire storm is a 7th level Druid spell from the core Rulebook.
fire storm

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Strange, I'd have sworn I looked under all the F spells...

There's a burst of energy in the room that seems to have no effect on you, but suddenly two horrific humanoids move into the entrance to the room. They gesture, and bursts of cold suddenly reach toward you. 35 and 36 cold damage to all; DC 18 Reflex for half damage

Dice rolls:

9d6 ⇒ (2, 2, 4, 3, 2, 3, 2, 3, 6) = 27

10d6 ⇒ (3, 3, 5, 1, 2, 3, 5, 2, 5, 6) = 35
10d6 ⇒ (1, 5, 2, 6, 4, 5, 1, 5, 4, 3) = 36

Status:

Elemental: 65
Other: 97
Other: 97

OK, post your Round 1 actions


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10

Reflex: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (9) + 22 = 31 No damage, here.

Lefty is still invisible. He will cast Chain Lightning, aiming for the elemental, and any other enemy creatures within 30' of it. He'll change the energy type to "fire," since we know that works.

Chain Lightning: 20d6 + 7d6 + 2 ⇒ (2, 5, 3, 2, 2, 5, 4, 1, 4, 6, 4, 2, 1, 4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 4, 3) + (6, 3, 2, 3, 3, 2, 5) + 2 = 89 Ref. DC 26

EDIT: I don't think I've ever used that spell in a game before. Fun!


Reflex 1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Reflex 2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

Ryarg tears into one of the humanoids.
Bite: 1d20 + 24 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 24 + 1 = 35
Damage:2d6 + 14 ⇒ (1, 4) + 14 = 19
Claw 1: 1d20 + 24 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 24 + 1 = 31
Damage: 1d8 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18
Claw 2: 1d20 + 24 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 24 + 1 = 44
Damage: 1d8 + 14 ⇒ (5) + 14 = 19
Hasted bite: 1d20 + 24 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 24 + 1 = 26

Grab with claw 1: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (2) + 23 = 25
Grab with claw 2: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (18) + 23 = 41

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

!

...

Actually, how are you getting those numbers, Lefty? Should be 17d6, no? (Plus the 7d6 for sneak attack?)


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10

D'oh! You are correct. Don't know how I came up with that. It should be 16.

It would be Chain Lightning: 16d6 + 7d6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 1, 5, 6, 4, 1, 2, 4, 2, 4, 5, 6, 4, 6, 5, 1) + (6, 4, 6, 5, 3, 6, 1) + 2 = 92


I assume with a huge sized bear and an invisible elf, there isn't room for Bern to get his swipes in?


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Flame) -3

Reflex save 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12

Hide armor has cold resistance of 20 points

Reflex save #2 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

Krokod's magic armor proves one blast catches him square. The other less so, and fortunately for him.

He moves to the one that wounded him most or the nearest one if that on is out of movement reach, and hammers at it with Spirit Striker, the morning star that has served him well.

+3 Adamantite Ghost Touch (Don't think that applies but figure I should mention). Hit #1 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (17) + 18 = 35
to hit roll #2 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31
to hit roll #3 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Dmg rolls...if those hit.
#1 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
#2 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
#3 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


Are folks remembering haste? +1 to Reflex saves and attack rolls.


Bern reflex saves:1d20 + 15 ⇒ (2) + 15 = 17
1d20 + 15 ⇒ (10) + 15 = 25

No damage for Bern (because of that haste, too!).


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10
Ryarg Gravemaker wrote:
I assume with a huge sized bear and an invisible elf, there isn't room for Bern to get his swipes in?

Lefty's flying, so he's not in the way.


Ref1: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (11) + 21 = 32
Ref2: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (8) + 21 = 29
The blasts of cold travel too slow for the hasted gnome, and he easily evades both of them.
Do I have to spend a move action getting into the room, or do we assume it happened in the surprise round?

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

You'll have to spend a move action -- the two figures blocking the way will be incinerated, however, by Lefty's spell, so it will just be the elemental. The hallway's 20 feet wide, Ryarg, so probably no room for Bern unless you move fully into the room first.


Feeling like he's late to the party, Raulzig shoots a trial bolt into the massive energy sphere, imbuing it with some of his own arcane energy.
Arcane strike, Haste, Deadly Aim, not sure if Point Blank Shot applies
Atk: 1d20 + 24 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 24 + 1 - 4 = 32
Dmg: 1d6 + 4 + 4 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 4 + 8 = 18+1d6 ⇒ 5 fire

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Round 1:

Lefty
Raulzig
Ryarg
Krokod
Neg. elemental

Lefty's bolt of fire rips into the elemental before bouncing back toward the two figures, who scream once as they're incinerated.

Rualzig's bolt hits the elemental, which seems to consume it as the energy flares momentarily there 13 hp damage It's followed immediately by Krokod and Ryarg rushing forward, their attacks ripping into the ball of energy. As they hit it one last time, it suddenly explodes in a burst of energy that painfully washes over the five of you. 27 hp negative energy damage; DC 22 Reflex for half

Mechanics:

Elemental reflex: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (14) + 20 = 34
8d8 ⇒ (4, 1, 3, 1, 8, 2, 6, 2) = 27

I can't decide if you guys are mowing through this stuff too easily or not, but I guess it's using resources up


Male Human (Varisian) Oracle (Flame) -3

The eating resources part of it occurred to me as well.

Reflex save, haste added in this time (Doh) 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

Krokod grunts in pain as the dark energy engulfs him.


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10

Ref: 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (10) + 22 = 32

Don't bring me down with your negative energy, man.


Ryarg reflex: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Bern reflex: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29


Speaking of resources, Ryarg needs some happy stick. He's down to 78.

The heavily-injured massive bear makes his way over to the possessor of the cure light wounds wands and nudges him with a paw.


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10

I'll hand it to Ryarg. 39 charges left. Try to leave a few! LOL


Well, he has a heal spell if that's better, but heal is better used during battle for emergencies.

This will take a lot of charges.

Also, he can cast spells while a bear, but not use wands, so Lefty will need to do the honours.


M Elf Rogue 3/Admixture Evoker 7/Arcane Trickster 10

OK. CLW: 10d8 + 10 ⇒ (1, 3, 7, 4, 5, 7, 4, 2, 1, 3) + 10 = 47

More. CLW: 10d8 + 10 ⇒ (1, 4, 4, 8, 8, 5, 5, 6, 7, 5) + 10 = 63

Anybody else got a wand?

RPG Superstar 2014 Top 16, RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16 , Marathon Voter 2013, Marathon Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

For when you're done getting yourself healed, some of this is reposted description from before the combat:

You enter the large, round room at the end of the 20 foot passage, its domed ceiling rising 30 feet overhead. Bars still block alcoves flanking a door to the north, as well as a passage to the east.

An elaborate ice throne sits within a raised alcove to the south, surveying the chamber. Heavy manacles are inset into the throne’s arms, back, and legs. Several more sets of manacles are spaced about the chamber’s walls, interspersed with various diabolical instruments of torture.

You see seven humanoid figures, which are crumbling into dust, though each leaves behind a breastplate that radiates magic to Lefty's eyes.


Reflex: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (6) + 21 = 27
His reflexes honed by years of successfully escaping death traps in the tombs of Katapesh, Raulzig slips behind cover at exactly the right moment for the negative energy wave to coast past him harmlessly.

"Speaking of the happy sticks, I have some too!" He offers a fresh CLW wand to Lefty to replace the used one.

Much resources burnt on this one since I assumed the seven humanoid figures will be hostile... well played, DM!

Spellcraft on the breastplates: Take 10=32
Spellcraft on the Throne: Take 10=32
Bardic Knowledge on the Throne: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15

"Was that the seat of Koststchie? I would refrain from trying to sit on it, if anyone has this kind of ideas."

301 to 350 of 406 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Motteditor's Witchwar Legacy All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.