Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Mothman's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Mothman

Age of Worms, Greyhawk, Pathfinder rules


3,401 to 3,450 of 3,519 << first < prev | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | next > last >>

Andolphas, you recognise the creatures as krenshars – strange, cat-like carnivores with the ability to cause the flesh of their face to retract, revealing their skulls. They use this ability to scare prey and predators alike. In combination with their hideous shrieks, this ability can cause an irrational level of fear.

Krenshars can see in the dark and track by scent. These specimens seem adapted or bred for underground environments, given their colouring. You’re not aware of any particular immunities or vulnerabilities that they might have.


Boland’s quarrel finds its mark, wounding but not killing the creature that caused Brashen to flee.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

"The horror... Lady, keep the Great Beyond at bay a little longer," murmurs Andolphas as he steadies himself and strides forward with shield raised, swinging his morning star at the nearest krenshar.

Andolphas will attack the same krenshar that Boland just wounded. Attack: 15 + 3 = 18; Damage: 5 + 1 = 6.


Andolphas moves to K8, beside the stalagmite, and hits the krenshar. It’s badly wounded but still standing.


Harrigan and Damion are up. Brashen is running away.


Harrigan notes Andolphas' entry to the fray and playfully calls out, "Hell- you sure you know how to use that thing twinklefingers? Where's the big man?" while waiting for an opportunity to bash another wolf-cat.

Morningstar 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

Map Update


Harrigan bashes the wolf-cat in front of him hard on the snout with his Morningstar. It shakes its head and makes a choking sound, the skin on its head pulling back to reveal its skull. No scare effect without the shriek though.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3
Harrigan Drange wrote:

Harrigan notes Andolphas' entry to the fray and playfully calls out, "Hell- you sure you know how to use that thing twinklefingers? Where's the big man?" while waiting for an opportunity to bash another wolf-cat.

"The big man abandoned us and fled in terror. I find has lack of faith disturbing," calls Andolphas over his shoulder.

"And the Lady guides my weapon well, but thank you for your concern, master dwarf. I might even teach you a thing or two..."

Grand Lodge

Damion hustles into the cavern to get as clear of a shot as he can manage and fires.

MA: 30' to J7 (difficult terrain)
Heavy Crossbow (point blank, into melee) 1d20 + 6 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 1 - 4 = 8
Free Action: Reload

Grimlock and wolf-cats up.


Male Human Fighter / 3

The lights seem to dim as the creature slinks forward, and Brash finds his eyes locked on to the animals eyes. As the skin starts to recede from its skull and it raises its head in a piercing howl Brash starts to tremble. He looks deeper into the piercing gaze and see's his death and eternal torment. Shaking badly now he backs away, then turns and starts to stumble towards the entrance of the cavern. He staggers back up the stairs, the fear choking him.


The wolf-cat that Harrigan has been bashing about shakes its head again, spraying droplets of blood from its mouth and nasal cavity, then shrieks, the chill inducing sound echoing around the stony chamber.

Fear effect on Harrigan and Andolphas. If they fail a DC 13 will save they are frightened and must flee.

The other creature lunges forward to bite at Andolphas, but the cleric easily blocks the wounded creature with his shield.

At the same time, another humanoid creature emerges from behind a stone column. It is not the wounded grimlock, but a creature of similar size and build. This one wears a mask constructed of the skull of one of the wolf-cats, the yellowing bone smeared with streaks of ochre, and a roughly cured fur cloak made of the fur and hide of some mangy grey furred creature. The creature carries an axe with a head of sharpened black crystal that it wields in both hands. It roars an incoherent battle cry and races into the fray.

This new grimlock moves to L7. It attacks Harrigan unless he has fled in which case it attacks Andolphas. It hits AC 25 and deals nine points of damage to its opponent.


Will saves from Harrigan and Andolphas, the resolution of any AoOs from the krenshars if either of them flee, then group’s turn.

The fear effect lasts 3 rounds.


Will 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Uh oh.


Male Human Wizard/3

With Harrigan and Andolphas' confidence being tested before him, and the arrival of the latest, ferocious Grimlock before them, Boland senses that the group is in trouble.

Calling to mind one of his more potent remaining spells, he voices the arcane words, his voice only a whisper but one that carries and seems dark and forboding. He then points at the newly arrived Grimlock, hoping this time his spell proves effective.

Boland casts Blindness/Deafness on the Grimlock, obviously going for the Deaf option. Fortitude save negates, DC17


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Heh... make that a double uh-oh! :-) Will save: 4 + 6 = 10.

As the krenshar fighting Harrigan bares its skull, the second wave of terror is just too much for Andolphas to bear, despite the power of his faith. He blocks his own adversary with his shield, then turns and runs as the unwounded grimlock swings its axe at him. The cleric's chainmail absorbs the worst of the impact, but the blade still bruises him badly.

The somber cleric turns a whiter shade of pale and turns to flee, throwing caution to the wind as he does so...

Just waiting for the AoOs to do me in...


Alright, Harrigan and Andolphas both flee before the grimlock reaches them, so he doesn’t attack Andolphas (or Harrigan) – he instead moves past their recently vacated positions to stand in front of Damion at K7. However, the extra five feet makes this a double move for him over the difficult terrain, so he doesn’t attack.

The krenshars however do take AoOs on the fleeing pair; both missed though.


Boland casts his spell – and the masked grimlock staggers as if struck. He hits the side of his head with one hand and shakes his head several times, before sniffing loudly at the air in front of him.


Most of the party is fleeing, so Damion is up. I will give Fatespinner a little while to post, he has been dealing with some life stuff lately. If we haven’t heard from him by the weekend, someone else should take Damion’s turn.


Damion snaps off another quick shot at one of the guard beasts.

Damion 1d20 + 6 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 6 + 1 - 4 = 8 FAIL.
Move: Back just inside the tunnel to prevent more than one enemy from facing him at once. I7 may allow two enemies the way the map is, but he'll at least have hard cover from one.
Free: Reload.

Moth- I think we were getting a little out of order in a way that might matter. Anolphas and Harrigan can't flee until their turns this round and technically it had an action before the howl even went off. If that makes a difference on your end the grimlock may have reached either of us before it was deafened.

Round 2
Grimlock: 6 Move / Attack ?
Wolf-cat 1: 5 Howl
Wolf-cat 2: 5 Attack Andolphas

Round 3
Damion: 21+ Fire on a wolf-cat, move to I7
Brashen: 21 Flee
Andolphas: 20 Flee, provoking AoO
Boland: 18 Cast Deafness
Harrigan: 14 Flee, provoking AoO
Grimlock: 6
Wolf-cats: 5


Harrigan recoils from the suddenly blood slick skull of the creature howling in his face, "Aiiieee!!! WHAT THE S+*%!?!?! HELL NO!!!"

The dwarf turns tail and runs for the tunnel out of here.


Male Human Wizard/3

Boland's blood runs cold, but not from the screech of the wolf-cats, but rather the site of Harrigan and Andolphas both turning and running, under the influence of their other-wordly howl. He also notices that it leaves him in the direct path of the three remaining opponents.

'Damion, get up here with me!" he calls out.

Not sure if Damion could have taken a 5 foot step in his last round to H7 to draw level with Boland and form a wall across the tunnel?Moth, can Boland also have used his move action last turn to dig a bottle of Alchemist Fire from his pack?


Yeah, I think I did mix up the init of the grimlock and the krenshars, somewhat in your favour. I’ve also always been unsure whether a fear effect that causes someone to flee takes effect immediately (this is the way I’ve tended to play it – you effectively flee as an immediate action) or whether you flee on your next turn (which is probably more in line with the rules).

You guys can probably do with a break at the moment, so I will run it the way I stated it – Andolphas and Harrigan flee on init count 6 in round 2 (managing to avoid AoOs), the grimlock then moves up to stand before Damion on init count 5 (no attack), and is deafened by Boland on round 3.


Boland "Bowls" Karendum wrote:

Boland's blood runs cold, but not from the screech of the wolf-cats, but rather the site of Harrigan and Andolphas both turning and running, under the influence of their other-wordly howl. He also notices that it leaves him in the direct path of the three remaining opponents.

'Damion, get up here with me!" he calls out.

Not sure if Damion could have taken a 5 foot step in his last round to H7 to draw level with Boland and form a wall across the tunnel?Moth, can Boland also have used his move action last turn to dig a bottle of Alchemist Fire from his pack?

He was in J7, Ithuriel suggested he move back to I7 (five feet), which is probably a good position for him, it exposes Boland less (unless you need a line of effect for a spell). Technically no five foot step here as it is difficult terrain. But I’m happy for him to move further back to H7 instead if that works better for you.

However, by moving away (to either position), Damion draws an AoO from the grimlock, prior to it being deafened. It hits Damion for 9 points of damage.

Boland, yes you can withdraw a flask of alchemist’s fire on round 3.

As Damion backs up from the masked grimlock to fire his crossbow, it lashes out at the inquisitor, striking him heavily with its hardened crystal battleaxe. A moment later it is hit by Boland’s spell.


The masked grimlock steps forward, somewhat hesitantly, sniffing furiously at the air moves in front of Damion, presumably to I7 if Damion is in H7.

However, as soon as it nears Damion, the creature’s confidence seems to return. It lashes out at the inquisitor once again with its battleaxe held in both hands, the sharp crystalline head easily penetrating Damion’s chain shirt and the clothing and flesh beneath hit for 10 points of damage. Damion has taken 19 points of damage in this fight, assuming he was on full hit points previously he is down to 4 hp remaining. The humanoid cries out in triumph.

The creature’s pets whine and snarl, milling around behind their master. The krenshar move up as close behind the grimlock as they can but do not try to squeeze past it.

With everyone else fleeing, Damion and Boland are up in round 4. We’ll give Fate a couple of days to post if needs be, then someone else might want to take his turn (which I would suggest should perhaps consist of healing or retreating).


Male Human Inquisitor 3

Damion has no means of healing, so he will delay until Boland has had a chance to flee and then take a withdrawal action to follow the fleeing party members as well. He can't take another hit like that and certainly won't risk any AoOs.


Boland, if you are planning on retreating, note that the difficult terrain means you can’t take a five foot step. You may take the Withdraw action to avoid AoOs if you wish, but that precludes other actions (such as throwing that flask of alchemist’s fire).

Since you deafened the grimlock it seems to have trouble sensing your exact location from a distance, but appeared to have no trouble picking out Damion by smell once it got very close.


Alright, to keep things moving, I’m going to say that Boland retreats, using the withdraw action. I think he can get to about E11. We’ll then have Damion withdraw as stated, to E10.

The masked grimlock swipes at Boland and Damion as they withdraw back up the tunnel behind their fleeing comrades, but the pair are too canny to leave themselves open to assault as withdraw, and manage to escape unscathed.

The grimlock can be heard sniffing the air furiously behind them, and making guttural mumbling sounds, but does not immediately follow.

Alright, what now? I will assume that everyone falls back to the previous cavern (where you fought the first lot of grimlocks) to re-group; by the time they reach it, those affected by fear will have pretty much recovered their wits.

We can come off initiative for the moment.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas tears off the chainmail mask and leans back against the cavern wall, panting furiously. "I'm... so sorry... I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life... before... Those things... so horrid..."

He keeps looking back toward the tunnel from whence they fled, worried that the grimlock and surviving krenshars might burst out at any moment. "I'm not sure I can face them again," says the still-shaken priest. He tightly grips the ruby skull symbol that hangs from his neck and fervently mumbles prayers over and over like a mantra, trying to steady his nerves and regain his courage.

Once he has managed to calm himself, Andolphas notices the bloody state in which Damion finds himself. "Pholtan, you look as though you have one foot in the grave... Would you welcome the healing energy of the Dark-Eyed Lady, or would your god of light frown upon you for accepting the aid of another holy power? At this point, might I also suggest you reconsider your divine patron? You could very well find yourself heading into the Great Beyond sooner than you'd like, and the Lady protects the faithful and keeps them on the correct path as they journey into the afterlife... And that goes for all of you... the last thing the fallen would want is for their untethered souls to be snatched up by a prowling demon..."

The brief sermon seems to have reinvigorated cleric. He reflects again on what they have encountered in the mine thus far, while Damion considers his reply. "I am no longer convinced that those grimlocks are in league with the Cult of the Ebon Triad," declares Andolphas. "I think it's unlikely the cultists would speak their language, or could control them. It may just be coincidence that the tunnels that lead to their realms in the deeps connect to this mine, and perhaps Dourstone's crew accidentally opened a passage into grimlock territory? If I am correct, the grimlocks either are wildcards down here, or may have become unwitting and accidental 'sentinels'... I'm not sure we'll gain anything by getting past them... maybe we should go back and pick another route?"

Does it sound like the grimlock and krenshars are pursuing? Perception: 12 + 2 = 14.

Would Andolphas have dropped what he was holding when he fled?


You can't hear any pursuit. You retained enough of your wits not to drop what you were holding when you fled.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash comes to his senses, and stops running, cold sweet covering his body. He shivers at the image of the beast, but starts to realize that it was an unnatural fear. 'I've faced worse than that before without a second thought,' he mumbles to himself.

Turning to the others Brash keeps his eyes lowered, shame evident on his face. He looks somewhat relieved to see Harrigan and Andolphas similarly affected.

'We can take these bastards, and I'd like to bury my axe into one of those wolf skulls. But these mines are starting to wear us down. If we don't think there's any gain in continuing this way, then we should turn back and save our resources and strength for the damn cultists.'

Brash speaks without his usual gruffness, and doesn't even roll an eye at Andolphas' sermon. He seems rattled


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas still has 6 uses of channel energy left. Let me know if you'd like me to use a few for healing purposes. But perhaps we should expend potions first? I'd rather not waste too much if energy, especially since we may have some tougher baddies ahead, including tougher undead.


You can hear some howls and jabbering echoing up the passage, but no obvious signs of pursuit ... yet.

The general consensus so far seems to be to get the hell out of here? Any dissenters? If not, where to now?


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas tenses as he hears the howls and jabbering echoing in the passage.

"Healing may have to wait a moment longer," he says tensely. "I don't think it's wise for us to spend much more time standing here. Let's head back the way we came, to the chamber from whence this passage branched."

The priest casts calls upon the Ruby Sorceress to light their way. Shortly thereafter, a soft glow radiates from his wooden shield, and he leads the way forward.


Male Human Wizard/3
Andolphas Hecker wrote:

Andolphas tenses as he hears the howls and jabbering echoing in the passage.

"Healing may have to wait a moment longer," he says tensely. "I don't think it's wise for us to spend much more time standing here. Let's head back the way we came, to the chamber from whence this passage branched."

The priest casts calls upon the Ruby Sorceress to light their way. Shortly thereafter, a soft glow radiates from his wooden shield, and he leads the way forward.

Sorry on the slow posting

When Damion signals the retreat, Boland is only too happy to comply, not relishing the thought of facing the remaining foes two on three, even if one was devoid of his senses.

When Andolphas suggests they head back the way they'd come, he hesitates, secretly worrying that he's already used the majority of his more powerful offensive magic.

'One other option might be to try and take the remaining Grimlock down and then rest there for the night? Not that I'm keen to spend any longer in this mine than I have to, but it might be more prudent to face the cultists a little more refreshed? Damion look's pretty hurt, and I know I've used a fair chunk of my magic for the day.'


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas stops in his tracks and turns his radiant shield to illuminate the party as Boland speaks out.

"How confident are we that we can take on the krenshars that likely will follow the grimlock? I dread the idea of resting this close to their warrens, for who knows how many more there might be lurking just a bit further in the depths... but I agree that if we don't rest, we'll likely die down here... And while I have no reason to fear the Great Beyond, I still have things to accomplish in this world... and must confess that the risk of becoming undead does worry me a great deal more. So what is the consensus, then?"


Male Human Wizard/3
Andolphas Hecker wrote:

Andolphas stops in his tracks and turns his radiant shield to illuminate the party as Boland speaks out.

"How confident are we that we can take on the krenshars that likely will follow the grimlock? I dread the idea of resting this close to their warrens, for who knows how many more there might be lurking just a bit further in the depths... but I agree that if we don't rest, we'll likely die down here... And while I have no reason to fear the Great Beyond, I still have things to accomplish in this world... and must confess that the risk of becoming undead does worry me a great deal more. So what is the consensus, then?"

The look on Boland's face belied the fact that he was rarely confident on anything, unless it had first come from a book. But he answered Andolphas as confidently as he could.

"Well, we've taken down two of the four Kreshnar, with at least of one of the other two wounded. And it struck me that the Grimlock left was their leader, and I have rendered him deaf which should help. The only reason we did not win the fight originally was due to the unnatural howl of the Kreshnar; if we are better prepared we may be less affected by it."

"If we can take them down, then the caves might offer us a place to rest that other predators would avoid as they know it as Grimlock territory."


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

"My dear Boland, there is wisdom in your words. Very well... is everyone else willing to do this?"

Without waiting for the consent of his companions, Andolphas murmurs a prayer. The others sense positive energy washing over them, healing some of their wounds.

Channel energy, whether the Pholtan wants it or not. Everyone heals 8 hit points.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash nods, taking a firm grip on his axe. 'Lets do it.' That said he starts back down the passage way, taking his steps carefully but steadily


Perception checks please.


Male Human Wizard/3

With the bottle of alchemist fire still in hand, Boland cautiously follows Brashen back towards the cave-system that housed the Grimlocks

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Perception: 19 + 2 = 21.

As the party turns back down the tunnel to face the grimlock and krenshars, Andolphas decides to unleash a second wave of healing energy...

Wanted to make sure Damion was in decent shape for the fight, regardless of how he might feel about the source of the healing. Channel energy: everyone regains 7 hit points (15 total).


Male Human Inquisitor 3

The inquisitor does not exhibit any signs of displeasure at being healed by Andolphas and indeed thanks the priest with a tip of his hat.

"I will form the second rank on our return. With Brashen screening the front lines, I can provide supporting fire from behind."

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23


Male Human Fighter / 3

perception 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16


Heading back down the rough passageway, most of the party hear someone – or something – coming up towards them.

Ready for trouble, the group are unsurprised to see one of the wounded wolf-cat’s slinking up the passage towards them. It snarls upon seeing them, and, flexing its muscles to allow the skin on its face to fall back again, bounds towards Brashen.

Neither group is surprised. I’m not going to bother with initiative here, as I expect this to be an ill-advised and short lived attack on the part of the krenshar.
It moves forward, but is unable to charge (or move and attack) due to the difficult terrain. Exposing its skull is cosmetic only at this stage, not another fear effect.
Damion may, if he wishes, get off a shot at it within 30 feet before it enters melee with Brashen, but due to the narrow corridor it gets cover (from Brash in front of Damion). If it survives, Brashen will get a chance to attack it in melee before it has a chance to attack him;
So Damion and Brashen are up if they wish to act.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash snarls as the krenshar bounds towards him. 'Not this time Kitty'
he says as he smashes his axe down at the thing.

attack 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27 damage 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


Male Human Inquisitor 3

Damion meets the krenshar's charge with a crossbow bolt fired over Brashen's shoulder.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22 to hit (minus whatever cover penalty), 1d10 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11 piercing damage.


Between them, Brashen and Damion make short work of the krenshar before it has the chance to attack.

Nothing else appears to be coming up the passageway.

Continuing? Perception checks can carry, anyone who hasn’t made one as yet may wish to.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash spits on the fresh corpse and continues down the passageway


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

"Nice work," says Andolphas quietly as he brings up the rear--kicking the dead krenshar as he walks past it.

Yes, continuing... Previous Perception check = 21.


Brashen and Damion lead the way back to the cavern ... as they enter there comes a shrieking howl from a wolf-cat, as the creature and its grimlock master leap from hiding to do battle.

Roll for initiative. Neither party is surprised.

3,401 to 3,450 of 3,519 << first < prev | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mothman's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.