Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Mothman's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Mothman

Age of Worms, Greyhawk, Pathfinder rules


3,351 to 3,400 of 3,519 << first < prev | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | next > last >>

Boland "Bowls" Karendum wrote:

Seeing his friends have the melee under control, Boland scans the cavern ahead for any further sign of danger, before glancing behind him to try and ensure nothing was lurking up behind them while their attention was forward focused.

Perception check: 1d20 + 2

You see nothing.


Brashen eviscerates the second grimlock, who collapses to the ground, gouts of blood and a foul stench erupting from its stomach cavity.

Is anyone going to chase after or otherwise hinder the one who ran? If so, we’ll stay on initiative (Harrigan, Andolphas and Damion are yet to act and Boland has a standard action remaining if he wants to take it), otherwise combat is over.


"I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the grimlocks don't have a lot to do with the cultists. They aren't the most sophisticated bunch. More likely we just stumbled into their territory. I reckon we got bigger concerns right now. Everyone okay?"


Male Human Inquisitor 3

"I hit one. We can track it by the blood trail if necessary. As Harrigan says, the grimlocks are likely not part of the cult. And if they are... well... then this one could lead us right to them."


Male Human Wizard/3

Boland squats over the less bloodied of the two dead Grimlocks, studying the creature with interest, pacying particular attention to their closed up eye sockets and their ears and noses. "Fascinating," he mutters quietly to himself.

Standing, he chips in his opinion to the debate on whether they should follow the injured one.

"We've got an undead cult to worry about, as well as guards possibly baring down on us from behind. I say we leave the grimlocks and continue on." He studies the cavern in which they stand, looking the way they have just come and the way ahead. "The question is, will this way lead us towards the cultists, or do we need to return?"

Knowledge Dungeoneering to try and determine if the current cavern chain they are moving along is looking likely to link up with the door way the skeletons were guarding: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash wipes the gore of his axe blade with a grubby rag, before squatting down to have a look for anything valuable on the corpses.
'It seems unlikely that this way will link up with the cultists lair, unless there are sufficient obstacles here to leave it unguarded by them. These weren't much of a challenge, but then again there could be a whole tribe of them waiting down these tunnels. Then again who knows, tunnels can twist and turn, maybe this will lead there. I say we pick a direction now and stick with it.'


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Knowing nothing about grimlocks or the layouts of mines and natural caverns, Andolphas remains quiet and allows his companions to determine the party's next course of action. "What frightful creatures," he murmurs as he observes their empty eye sockets. "Straight out of a nightmare..."

Knowledge (religion) to determine whether grimlocks are known among the worshippers of Erythnul, Hextor or Vecna? 15 + 9 = 24.


Boland, the passage you've been following has descended below the floor level of the main cavern. Beyond that, it's difficult to say where it might end up, but no, at this stage it doesn't appear to be heading in that direction.


Andolphas, although you know little of grimlocks, you've heard tales of sightless, savage humanoids from below the Oerth who are often fervent worshippers of Erythnul.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas rubs his chin as he thinks deeper on the role the grimlocks might be playing in the current events. "I have heard of savage, sightless humanoids from the depths of the Oerth that are fervent worshippers of Erythnul. It may be that they may be guards or servants of this Ebon Triad after all, that they serve a purpose here, rather than being mere strays. Still, it is likely that some of these passages will lead us only deeper below the Oerth and closer to the lairs of the grimlocks, rather than closer to the centre of theTriad's activity..."


Male Human Fighter / 3

'So do we return to one of the doors in the cavern, and risk an enemy at our backs? One we have already provoked? Maybe we should continue and take the claws out of these eyeless freaks'


Male Human Inquisitor 3

"While it is undoubtedly the Ebon Triad that is the greater threat here, with grimlocks lairing this close to the cultists it is highly likely that some of the cultists have fallen to grimlock aggression. Therefore, it is also likely that the grimlocks' lair, wherever it may be, could contain some of the cultist's belongings... including something we could use as a disguise, or perhaps some clues to what kinds of creatures we may be dealing with," the inquisitor furrows his brow in thought.

"As Brashen says, it would be unwise to leave an enemy at our backs. I believe pursuing the grimlocks, while counter-intuitive, may actually be to our greatest advantage."


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

"If we are to pursue the one that got away, then... lead on, Harrigan. But if we don't find the grimlock or its lair soon, then I think we will need to return to the chamber nearest the shaft and explore the tunnels from whence the skeletons came. It would make sense for undead to be among the Triad's primary guardians, since it seems they may be intent on raising the sons of Kyuss..."


Brashen stalks over to where Boland’s sunrod lies on the floor at the far side of the cave, near where the passage exits. The passage heads off in a south westerly direction, but soon bends around to the south. More rough steps are hewn into the passage floor, leading downwards. Drops of blood from the wounded grimlock leave a trail on the floor.

Continuing for now? Same marching order?


Male Human Fighter / 3

Yep im happy with the marching order

Brash moves down the passage cautiously but purposefully, all thought of stealth gone.

perception check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Marching order is fine... or Andolphas can switch with Harrigan, if the dwarf would prefer to scout ahead. Perception: 17 + 2 = 19. Andolphas casts light on his holy symbol.


"Fair enough. Taking them out ought to leave us some safe haven to fall back to if we need it. Let me get a little lead on you this time around. I'll signal if I see anything."

Maybe... 50 feet ahead of the group. Considering grimlocks don't have eyes I guess the light radius isn't a big deal but I need a little lead for the stealth.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Stealth 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Survival (for tracks) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
I assume that isn't enough to follow any tracks. I will double back and take 10 if necessary.


The blood trail on the floor is clear enough that you can follow it with a perception check rather than survival, particularly in a passage with no diversions (yet).

Harrigan leads the way a little ahead of the others, although the uneven steps in the passage and the debris on the floor forces him to move a little more noisily than he would like.

The passage runs for about sixty feet, heading downwards as it curves around to the south, opening out into another cavern. The stairs whilst uneven are not steep, and there is only about a ten foot level difference between the two caverns.

The corridor opens to another cave choked with rocky formations. Stalagmites and stalactites block the line of sight ahead. Like the last chamber, this place has a rocky, uneven floor of natural stone. It slopes downward towards the south, and here and there rivulets of water flow southward.

The trail of blood continues into the cavern.

Harrigan, you can see what appear to be the legs of the wounded grimlock sticking out from behind a stone column about twenty feet into the cavern (I assume at this point you have paused to survey the situation just outside the cavern, still back in the passage). You also hear something from another part of the cavern. Looking in that direction, to the left, you spot something lurking behind a stalagmite about fifteen feet away – you can’t see it clearly, but it appears to be some sort of furred animal about the size of a wolf. It doesn’t seem to be interested in the wounded grimlock.


Harrigan creeps back far enough to signal the others to approach. When they meet up he whispers, "Looks like the one you shot is sitting down in there, but they have some kind of guard beast- bout my size from what I could see. Furry. We have any way to shut that thing up before it alerts everything in hearing range? It's going to be tricky in there. Water run off trickles through the cavern and the whole place is on an incline. Gonna be slick and there are hiding places everywhere with all the stalactites and stalagmites."


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

"I have nothing with which to silence it... but if we are determined to neutralize this threat, then we may want to consider luring the grimlock and the furry creature to an area where we would have the tactical advantage... although the grimlock is likely to be wary as a result of having encountered us already. I hate to say it, Harrigan, but you're probably the best qualified to sneak up on the guard beast, if we decide to take them on here..."


So, what is it to be?


Male Human Fighter / 3

Seeing no other suggestions forthcoming Brash slaps a hand on his axe. 'This will silence it soon enough. Let’s just make sure we light the place up good so we can see what where doing. Maybe we could get off a few ranged shots at it, or Harrigan can surprise it before the rest of us rush in.’


"Alright then. I figure that things is gonna sniff me out before I can get up on it. Give me a minute to get in there and I'll hunker down between it and the cavern entrance. When you come in making a racket it'll have to go by me to get you and I'll try to drop it then."

Stealth 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Hidden, using cover with a readied action to sneak attack when the bear or whatever passes by.


Male Human Wizard/3

Boland pulls out his crossbow, gently sliding a bolt into place as Harrigan sneaks out in the passage. He also calls to mind a spell or two he can cast to assist in the coming combat, though is a little reluctant to expend too much of his magic given they were yet to deal with the cultists.

Boland will take up a position if possible to afford him a reasonably clear view down the passage, and ready an action.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Giving Harrigan a few minutes to get into position, Brash then heads to the end of the corridor and carefully walks into the room,crossbow pointed in the direction Harrigan indicated the beast was lurking.

Half move into the chamber. If Brash can see the beast he will shoot, if not he will place the sunrod on the ground.
crossbow 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 damage 1d6 ⇒ 2


Can I get initiative rolls from everyone and a general idea of what you plan to do prior to battle / in the first round if you haven’t yet posted?


Male Human Fighter / 3

sorry, heres the initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21


Init: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


Male Human Wizard/3

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Boland will try and take up a position slightly behind/to the side of Brashen where he can draw line of sight at approaching threats


Damion: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Andolphas: 1d20 ⇒ 20

Brashen and Boland, can I get perception checks from you two.


Male Human Fighter / 3

perception check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Harrigan sneaks a little way into the cave, getting into position. The wolf-like beast shifts and appears to sniff as he sneaks in, and the dwarf wonders if it has sniffed him out, but it makes no move – no time to change the plan now anyway, because Brash is already clanking down the corridor with his crossbow ready ...

Here is a map.

The snaky thing at the top is the corridor, the blob in the middle with the dots is the cavern, the dots are stalagmites and columns. The wounded grimlock is in N9. The wolf-like creature is in L10.

I will assume that Harrigan positions himself around K7, and Brashen is in about I7, placing the sunrod as he can't see the beast, it is hidden from him, but mix that up if you want. Boland is just behind Brashen, the others are presumably further back.


Init:
Damion 27
Brashen 21
Bolaand 18
Harrigan 14+ (with a readied action)
Andolphas 14

Andolphas 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14
Damion 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

I see that Moth and Harrigan rolled two different initiative scores for Andolphas. I'll let Moth decide which roll stands. Given that Brashen is not attempting to surprise the grimlock and the beast, Andolphas will follow close behind Brashen and Boland and see if he is able to parley with the grimlock and fool him into believing he is one of the cultists. Guess that would put me in H7 for starting position (if Boland and Brashen are sharing a square), or close behind? If the grimlock speaks Common, this might also help distract the grimlock and beast, hopefully improving Harrigan's sneak attack chances.

Andolphas casts a light spell on his wooden shield to light the way, leans his captured scythe against the tunnel wall, then follows Brashen and Boland closely with morning star in hand, clad in the blood-stained cultist's robes with face concealed by the chainmail mask. "Forgive me this deception, my Lady," murmurs the priest as he approaches the cave.

He then calls out in a gruff and imperious voice, somewhat muffled by the mask. "Grimlock... come forth, and reign in your beast... Heathen intruders roam these tunnels, but you and your other blind fools attacked the wrong target... Rise and help us hunt the intruders, or the Triad will have your head..."

Intimidate: 17 + 4 = 21. Andolphas will stay within one hex of Brashen, if possible... I'll assume that we will have advanced just inside the mouth of the cave by the end of the round?


Oh- disregard my rolls entirely moth. I missed yours above when I was trying to put the list together.

Init:
Damion 21+
Brashen 21
Andolphas 20
Bolaand 18
Harrigan 14+ (with a readied action)


Male Human Inquisitor 3

Damion follows Brashen closely, crossbow also at the ready for any signs of hostile movement.


Sorry again about the delay guys, work has been killing the opportunity for anything more involved than drive-by posts, and sick kids (plus working late) has meant not much time for posting from home either.


So, pre round 1 Harrigan moves into position (then readies an action), then Brashen moves (noisily) into position, looks around, can’t see the beast that Harrigan mentions, and places the sunrod on the ground (Brash you can save those attack rolls for later if you like).

Other actions posted are in round 1.

Round 1:
Damion: 21+ (moves up close behind Brashen – G7)
Brashen: 21 (delaying with crossbow in hand – I7)
Andolphas: 20 (moving behind Brashen and calling out – H7)
Boland: 18 (positioned behind Brashen with a readied action to cast a spell – H6)
Harrigan: 14 (hiding in cavern with readied action for sneak attack – K7)
Grimlock: 6
‘Dog’: 5


Andolphas calls out loudly in the common tongue, hoping to bluff or distract the grimlock and any hidden companions.

There is silence for a moment, then a loud voice calls out in a harsh, unfamiliar tongue. An instant later, not one but three wolf-like creatures emerge from hiding spots around the cavern and begin picking their way across the rocky cavern floor towards Brashen and Andolphas. The creatures are the size and general shape of big wolves, but move more like hunting cats. Their fur is grey and mottled, blending in well with the rocky walls.

The first beast moves towards J8 to attack Brashen; Harrigan can take his readied action to attack it before it attacks Brashen if he chooses. The second one moves to L6 to attack Harrigan from the rear – he is not concealed from it in this direction. The third creature moves to L9 and ... does something.

The third wolf-like creature moves forward more slowly than its companions. As it moves forward it looks towards Brashen, then suddenly the fur and flesh on its face seems to pull back, revealing the musculature and bone underneath. It opens its jaws and lets out an ear-piercing howl.

Brash and Andolphas need to make a Will save vs a fear effect.
Harrigan and Boland can take their readied actions, I will resolve the remaining beast attacks once that is done.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Will save: 13 + 6 = 19. So... I take it Andolphas's chainmail mask and cultist's outfit didn't aid the situation? ;-)


You made the save ... And against blind creatures that don't speak common, nope. ;-)


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3
DM Mothman wrote:
You made the save ... And against blind creatures that don't speak common, nope. ;-)

Can't blame me for hoping that they had learned some Common, or for hoping that the wolf-like creatures were semi-intelligent, could see, and might recognize the authority of Triad guards... :-)


Waiting on Brashen's save and Harrigan and Bolands readied actions.


Harrigan springs up and hammers the skull of the first wolf-cat to pass him by with all his might. Ah hell. They would have a gang of em wouldn't they? The dwarf edges to the side putting the cavern wall to his back to prevent the cats from circling him.

Silver Morningstar 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Damage 1d8 + 1 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 1 + (5) = 14
5' to K6
If a 5' step isn't possible:
Acrobatics 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 to take a move action over there and avoid an AoO while doing it.


Map from Moth's last post


Male Human Fighter / 3

sorry for delay

Will save 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 sigh


Male Human Wizard/3

Sorry on the dleay and thanks for the maps

Seeing the three hunting cat's emerge, Boland decides to lead with his magic rather than his crossbow. He points his finger at the one closest to Brashen and voices the words to one of his more lethal spells. Lightening crackles around his hand, before shooting out in a jagged blue-white line towards the creature.

Casts Seeking Ray. Ranged Touch attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
damage:4d6 ⇒ (5, 1, 4, 2) = 12 sigh
DC15


Harrigan brains one of the cat-like beasts as it dashes past him, then manages to move nimbly away from the one threatening him as it shrieks and bites at him. Boland has less luck, his ray missing its target and hitting a stalagmite instead.

The normally brave Brashen is overcome with a supernatural feeling of dread as the cat advancing on him shrieks and seems to shed the skin of its face, revealing its skull. Pushing past Andolphas and Damion behind him, he flees away back up the tunnel.

Brashen is frightened and must move his full movement away from the source of his fear (unless restrained). Harrigan took down the krenshar at J8 and the other missed him. Group’s turn in round 2.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas feels the terror willing up within him, threatening to drive him mad with fear. He turns his mind momentarily to a mental image of the Green Lady's soothing face. Brashen runs past him, screaming...

The priest refocuses and prepares to come to Harrigan's aid, the Lady having steadied his faltering resolve...

Before he decides on an action, would the better look he now has of the creatures tell him more about them, i.e., what they are, strengths and vulnerabilities? Knowledge (arcana): 14 + 6 = 20; Knowledge (the Planes): 18 + 5 = 23.


Male Human Wizard/3

Boland curses loudly when his spell misses it's target, then looks sheepish for a moment when he realises he had cursed out loud.

But when Brashen begins to flee, his chargin is forgotten and he realises they could be in deep trouble. He pulls his crossbow into position and takes a shot at the same creature he had just missed with the spell, hoping to not make the same mistake.

To hit: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
To Dmg: 1d8 ⇒ 4

3,351 to 3,400 of 3,519 << first < prev | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mothman's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.