Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Mothman's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Mothman

Age of Worms, Greyhawk, Pathfinder rules


3,301 to 3,350 of 3,519 << first < prev | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | next > last >>

Male Human Wizard/3

Boland is busy studying the pool and so does not immediately hear Brashen's question.

"Evocation and Conjuration? What are they up to here?" he mutters after Andolphas identifies the magical aura's surrounding the pool. His initial thoughts leaves a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach, but he tries to focus on his theory lessons to see if he can confirm the guess.

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Knowledge the planes: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27


Male Human Wizard/3

Will be out for a couple of days from Monday, so please act for Boland to keep things moving. His instinct says to try one of the passages ending in a door (maybe the one the skeletons didn't come from), but ultimately will follow the lead of the rest of the group.


While Boland and Andolphas examine the pool Harrigan scratches his beard while idly taking a look at the platform above the mysterious liquid.

"Alright then. I got no interest in trying to splash around in a pool of something where I can feel the cold pouring off of it. Let's take care of this last rough passage first and then cut into whatever they figure deserves doors."

Perception for traps: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
I'm curious if the platform is meant to drop someone into the pool. I realize the roll may not be possible with the platform 30 feet away.
Also- maybe I should be trying to sketch this out as we go, but I am completely disoriented. I'm basically choosing directions at random without knowing if I'm walking us in a circle or anything like that.


Boland "Bowls" Karendum wrote:

Boland is busy studying the pool and so does not immediately hear Brashen's question.

"Evocation and Conjuration? What are they up to here?" he mutters after Andolphas identifies the magical aura's surrounding the pool. His initial thoughts leaves a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach, but he tries to focus on his theory lessons to see if he can confirm the guess.

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 7
Knowledge the planes: 1d20 + 9
Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 9

Despite some good rolls there, you just don’t have enough information for more than speculation and educated guesses. With that arcana roll you probably have a fair idea of all the ‘common’ (Core) mid to high level spells of the conjuration and evocation schools, and could speculate at which, if any of them, might relate to the magic of this pool. You might be led to speculate that the pool is some sort of conduit between this plane and another (via a conjuration effect such as gate). If so, the cold might be a clue to which plane of existence is keyed to, although it is not a particularly good clue; many planes, including but not necessarily limited to the Elemental Plane of Water, Hell, the Abyss and the Negative Energy Plane contain regions of intense cold. Of course, the cold may not indicate a planar link at all, it could as (or more) easily be as the result of an evocation effect.


Harrigan Drange wrote:

While Boland and Andolphas examine the pool Harrigan scratches his beard while idly taking a look at the platform above the mysterious liquid.

"Alright then. I got no interest in trying to splash around in a pool of something where I can feel the cold pouring off of it. Let's take care of this last rough passage first and then cut into whatever they figure deserves doors."

Perception for traps: 1d20 + 8
I'm curious if the platform is meant to drop someone into the pool. I realize the roll may not be possible with the platform 30 feet away.
Also- maybe I should be trying to sketch this out as we go, but I am completely disoriented. I'm basically choosing directions at random without knowing if I'm walking us in a circle or anything like that.

It’s difficult to be sure from down here, but you can’t see any good indication that the platform is hinged or otherwise unstable – it appears pretty solid.


I’ve sketched up a quick map of the chamber on CAD, but I can’t convert it to a jpg from my computer for display. I’ll try to do something with it later. But basically there are three visible exits from this chamber, north (doors), east (doors – skeletons came from here), west (passage).


Boland "Bowls" Karendum wrote:

Boland is busy studying the pool and so does not immediately hear Brashen's question.

"Evocation and Conjuration? What are they up to here?" he mutters after Andolphas identifies the magical aura's surrounding the pool. His initial thoughts leaves a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach, but he tries to focus on his theory lessons to see if he can confirm the guess.

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 7
Knowledge the planes: 1d20 + 9
Knowledge Arcana: 1d20 + 9

Despite some good rolls there, you just don’t have enough information for more than speculation and educated guesses. With that arcana roll you probably have a fair idea of all the ‘common’ (Core) mid to high level spells of the conjuration and evocation schools, and could speculate at which, if any of them, might relate to the magic of this pool. You might be led to speculate that the pool is some sort of conduit between this plane and another (via a conjuration effect such as gate). If so, the cold might be a clue to which plane of existence is keyed to, although it is not a particularly good clue; many planes, including but not necessarily limited to the Elemental Plane of Water, Hell, the Abyss and the Negative Energy Plane contain regions of intense cold. Of course, the cold may not indicate a planar link at all, it could as (or more) easily be as the result of an evocation effect.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Given that Ash said he would be away for a few days from Monday, I'll assume that Boland conveys the info contained in Moth's last post to the others.

"Hmmm... If indeed the pool is a gate, and given the presence of undead and servants of the God of Discord and Massacre in these mines, then I would agree that it can only lead to places that would tear our souls apart. Steer clear, my friends. And if mortals do not venture through the portal from this side, then it is possible that whatever priests lead the cultists might call up abominations from the Great Beyond by standing upon the platform."

Andolphas shivers momentarily as he considers the great spiritual evil that might lurk just beyond the pool.

"Let's leave this place as quickly as possible. Brashen suggests we head west, and that's as good a choice as any. Lead on, Brashen..."


The group starts heading back towards the western passage.

Could you guys remind me what light sources you have active at the moment?
Also, everyone please make a perception check.


Male Human Inquisitor 3

Damion would've illuminated his holy symbol with a light spell since the bolt he used early is no longer suitable as a projectile.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash starts to lead the way over to the western passage.

perception check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


No light for the dwarf of course.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas will cast light on his holy symbol as well. He has stowed the minor's helmet in his pack for the time being. The tiefling's chainmail mask hangs from one of his pack straps. Perception: 16 + 2 = 18; Stealth: 9 - 3 = 6.


Perception check for Harrigan: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Perception for Boland: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


As the group heads towards the western passage, Damion hears something off in the darkness – somewhere in the direction of the elevator shaft or the eastern passage and doorway. It sounded like a pebble or other small, hard object being kicked or dropped.

Nothing is visible within the relatively small and fragile bubble of light that you bring with you, and even Harrigan’s dwarven eyes cannot see anything off in the darkness.

Strain her ears as he might, Damion can hear nothing further for the moment, and with no one else having heard anything it is difficult to pinpoint the exact direction or distance of the sound.


Male Human Fighter / 3

'Hmm looks like where not alone... lets get into this narrow passage where our light will be able to pick out who follows. I don't like being out in this cavern with such poor visibility.' Brash absently rubs the spot on his chest where one of the tiefling arrows took him, as he whispers to the group. He continues moving to the side passage.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas follows Brashen into the narrow passage, puts the chainmail mask on and waits, scythe in hand.

"Depending on who or what emerges, I may step out and approach them," whispers the priest. "Perhaps I can fool them into thinking I am one of them? Be prepared to cover me..."

He peers around the corner, into the main chamber.

Stealth: 9 - 3 = 6; Perception: 17 + 2 = 19.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas suddenly realizes that the light spells he and Damion have cast could give the party away to whatever is approaching. He whispers a few words that dim the glow of his holy symbol, and he suggests that the inquisitor do the same.

The priest then whispers: "looks like we may need to rely on Harrigan's eyes to tell us what is approaching..."


Male Human Inquisitor 3

The inquisitor glares at Andolphas, disgust evident in his eyes.

"The dwarf may scout ahead, but I will not walk in darkness, cleric."

Sorry, Pholtus. You pretty much asked him to do the worst thing imaginable.


Male Human Wizard/3

Boland does not particularly like to bathed in darkness, but he see's the wisdom in Anolphas' comment and is exasperated when Damion openly opposes him.

Just when Brashen and Andolphas are starting to get along too...

'If what you heard is correct Damion, we have guards behind us descending the shaft. So we've got two options as I see it - we can get out of this cavern before they arrive, or we can hang around and confront them when they do. Sitting here ideally with a bright light telling everyone where here is akin to flashing a purseful of gold in the Feral Dog; it's only a matter of time before someone sticks you. IF putting out the light is not an option, then we should forge ahead.'

He ushers Damion to lead the way.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas swallows hard at Damion's rebuke, and tightens his grip on the scythe. Images race through his mind in quick succession, depicting what would happen to the inquisitor if he were to succumb to one of the Jasidian's darker spells.

"Afraid of the dark, are we, Pholtan?" whispers the priest through the chainmail make. "If you think it wise to stand like a beacon for all our foes to see, then by all means, step back into the cave and greet them... it might make a good distraction... but spare the rest of us the suffering born of your foolish zeal..."


Male Human Fighter / 3

'Enough of this stupidity!' Brash hisses through clenched teeth, doing his best to keep his voice low. 'Everyone move down the passage until where out of sight of the main chamber. Harrigan, you stay at the corner and see if we are followed. Wait for a few minutes before you follow us unless you sight danger before that. We will move on a few more twists of the passage so God boys light doesn't give us away, but we still have something to see by. We've made a damn mess of this business so far, lets try not to f$%~ anything else up, or none of us are ever going to see the light of day again!'

His piece said, Brash turns and starts to walk down the passage, great axe gripped tightly in both hands, assuming the others will follow. He keeps an eye on the ground for pits or uneven footing as he stalks towards the darkness of the tunnel.


Whatever the noise was, it does not repeat in the few moments that the group stands listening at the entrance to the tunnel before the argument about light breaks out, and after a moment Damion and Brashen are leading the way down the tunnel.

Within about twenty feet, the passage has narrowed down to five feet wide, winding around a gentle curve to the south, then west again. The walls are rough and cracked, and the ceiling bears stalactites and dips low here and there, but the floor has been worked to some degree, with rough, uneven carved steps leading down into the earth. Despite the carved steps, the floor is pitted with shallow holes, rocks and other debris, making travel slow and difficult.

Harrigan waits, hiding, at the bend for a few moments whilst the others forge a short distance ahead. He can neither see nor hear any signs of pursuit.

5 foot wide passage, what is the marching order? At this stage I assume Brashen, Damion, Andolphas, Boland, then Harrigan. If you want to mix it up, or switch Harrigan to the front once he is finished watching the rear, let me know. Also, give me some more Perception checks, and stealth checks if anyone is trying to stay quiet.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Marching order looks good to me. Stealth: 10 - 3 = 7. Perception: 4 + 2 = 6... wonderful all around.


Male Human Wizard/3

[ooc]Comfortable with marching order also. Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13 Stealth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


Male Human Fighter / 3

perception check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


Damion: Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12
Harrigan: Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20, Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11


The passage continues down roughly cut stairs for another thirty feet or so, twisting again so that Harrigan, with his keen sense of direction even under ground, can determine that the group is heading south west.

The passage opens out into a cavern filled with a forest of stalactites and stalagmites. The rocky formations make it difficult to see far ahead or determine the extent of the cavern, as they choke most of this natural cave. The steady, rhythmic splash of water dripping into a puddle echoes through the chamber. The ground here is rough and uneven.

Brashen and Damion, in the lead positions, pause at the cave entrance, watching and listening for signs of danger by the light of Damion’s spell, but notice nothing out of the ordinary. Brashen cautiously leads the way in.

It is then that the ambush is sprung.

With inhuman battle cries, two brutish, bulky humanoid creatures with rock coloured skin and shallow hollows in their faces where their eyes should be detach themselves from the shadows beside stalagmites and launch themselves at Brashen, swinging crude stone battleaxes.

At the same time, a stone javelin whizzes out of the darkness at the far side of the cavern, clattering harmlessly against a natural stone column near Brashen’s head.

Brashen is about ten feet into this cavern, Damion is either right behind him or maybe ten feet back, still in the five foot wide passage, the others are back in marching order in the passage.
In the surprise round, two medium sized humanoid looking creatures moved into melee range with Brashen (they could not charge due to the difficult terrain in this cavern). Another (unseen, out of range of Damion’s light) threw a javelin.
The cavern is difficult terrain. Stalagmites and stalactites potentially block line of sight, and provide cover.

Initiative.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Initiative: 12.


Male Human Inquisitor 3

Init: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19. Can I see them clearly enough to attempt to identify the creature type? Dungeoneering, Nature, and Religion are all at +9. 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12 for whichever is relevant, if any.

Damion raises his crossbow in alarm and prepares to fire into the fray.


Init 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Anyone have an appropriate Kn Skill? I assume dungeoneering, but just in case...
Kn Nature 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Metagaming, I'm pretty sure I know what they are, but Andolphas does not have ranks in either Knowledge (Nature) or (Dungeoneering).


Harrigan, you’ve heard of these creatures before; the dwarves have come into contact with these creatures, called grimlocks, in times past, when their mines have stretched deeply enough to touch the upper reaches of the Underdark.

Grimlocks are creatures of the deep, dark places. They are distantly akin to humans, but their eyes atrophied long ago, replaced by an extraordinarily keen sense of smell and hearing. They can sense as well as a sighted person, but only at relatively short range. Their tough, stone coloured skin affords them excellent camouflage underground.


Male Human Fighter / 3

perception check as to how many there might be 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22


Male Human Fighter / 3

figure I might be the first to go with that initiative, so put down my action now

Though taken by surprise at the sudden charge, Brash is still on edge after the last encounter and so quick to react. Brash's face turns to a frown of distaste at the sight of the two creatures, but figures that a good axe hit to the torso or head will bring down most foes, no matter their lack of eyes.

attack 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22 damage 1d12 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


Well there are two that have run up and engaged Brashen in melee. There is at least one more (of something) that threw a javelin, but it is not visible (at least not with that perception check).

Boland’s init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Grimlock init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Round 1 init:
Harrigan: 23 (at back of group, in tunnel)
Brashen: 22 (in melee with two grimlocks)
Damion: 19 (behind Brashen)
Boland: 17 (near back of group in tunnel)
Andolphas: 12 (in tunnel at entrance to cave)
Grimlocks: 4

Good guys up in round 1.


Brashen’s theory proves sound as his axe bisects the head of one of his attackers, who crumples to the ground, blood gushing from its head. These grimlocks may not be human, but they still bleed red.


Harrigan barrels down the tunnel past the casters drawing his morningstar on the go.

Move to flank with Brashen vs the other grimlock up front.
If I've got this right the cavern is difficult terrain, but the tunnel we were in is not. I need to move through Boland 5ft, Andolphas 5 ft, Damion 10 ft, Brashen 10 ft... one more square left costing 10 feet means I can't get far enough to flank.
I guess I'm ending roughly side by side with Boland or in the square of the grimlock he downed.
Morningstar drawn as part of movement.


I didn’t make it explicitly clear, but the tunnel is difficult terrain too (what with the uneven steps, the rocks, holes and debris on the floor). So you probably don’t get quite that far.


Male Human Wizard/3

With the way ahead of him relatively blocked, Boland opts for trying to identify the position of the javelin throwing opponent. He strikes the sunrod he had been carrying up till that point, lighting the tunnel mouth with the flare. He then hurls it over the heads of his companions, in the direction that the javelin arrived from.

Throw check: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas touches the ruby skull around his neck, murmurs a prayer to the Dark-Eyed Lady, takes a few steps forward and...

I'm still not clear where Harrigan's move ended... so if Andolphas can squeeze beside Damion, he'll cast Guidance and touch Brashen. If Harrigan is standing beside Damion and both are blocking the way to Brashen, Andolphas will cast Guidance on Harrigan instead. Spell duration is 1 minute or until discharged. Effect: The creature gets a +1 competence bonus on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check. It must choose to use the bonus before making the roll to which it applies.

"Lady, I beg thee, guide the hand of your servant's ally so that he may strike true..."


Hah. Me either really. It is possible that I wasn't able to move at all. Moving into the square of Boland then Andolphas then Damion takes 30 feet of movement. If the last square can be a diagonal step out of the tunnel to be alongside Brashen, then Harrigan is there either on his right or left.


Harrigan squeezes in beside Brashen on his right side. Andolphas moves to stand beside Damion (who is in the cavern behind Brashen) on his left, and casts his guidance spell on Brashen.


Boland throws his sunrod, which clatters to the ground near the far side of the cavern, illuminating the far wall (about thirty five feet away) and a dark tunnel entrance that leads away from the cavern on this side. Standing partially concealed by a stalagmite near this tunnel entrance is another of the rocky skinned humanoids, holding a handful of crude javelins.

The grimlock’s head twists in the direction that the sunrod fell, her expressive ears twitching, but she shows no ill effect of being bathed in the sunrod’s glow.


Damion.


Male Human Inquisitor 3

Spotting the javelin-hurler and not wanting to risk firing into heated melee (no Precise Shot just yet), Damion levels his crossbow at the distant foe and lets loose with a salvo of heavy bolts.

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14 to hit, dealing 1d10 ⇒ 2 if successful. Rapid Shot: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21 to hit, dealing 1d10 ⇒ 10 if successful.


Damion’s first shot smashes into the stalagmite that the grimlock shelters behind, sending tiny shards of rock flying though the air. The second bolt catches the creature in the ribs, knocking it back against the wall, where it barely retains its footing.

Clearly badly wounded, the creature stumbles away into the far tunnel where she is lost to sight around a bend, leaving of smear of blood on the wall that glistens in the light of the sunrod.

The remaining grimlock presses the attack on Brashen, howling and spitting. However, in his eagerness (or panic) he stumbles, and the warrior is easily able to avoid the clumsy attack.

Group’s turn.
Harrigan can move to flank with Brashen if he so chooses and still attack. If anyone is crossing the cavern it is 35 feet across with difficult terrain.


Male Human Wizard/3

Seeing his friends have the melee under control, Boland scans the cavern ahead for any further sign of danger, before glancing behind him to try and ensure nothing was lurking up behind them while their attention was forward focused.

Perception check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brashen grins at the spray of blood from the first grimlocks head covers his armor. 'I like fighting things that bleed' he says to the second, knowing that the thing probably wont understand him. Swinging his axe again, Brash smashes through the second creatures guard, sending his axe through the creatures gut.

attack 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30 damage 1d12 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Confirm critical 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19 damage 2d12 + 12 ⇒ (1, 10) + 12 = 23

3,301 to 3,350 of 3,519 << first < prev | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mothman's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.