Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Mothman's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Mothman

Age of Worms, Greyhawk, Pathfinder rules


3,051 to 3,100 of 3,519 << first < prev | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | next > last >>

Male Human Fighter / 3

Moth

Spoiler:
Brash will take out his axe and shield as he descends, and looking down, scan with his helmet light for what may lay ahead


Brashen:

Spoiler:
You quickly arm yourself as you float to the ground, which you can just see approaching as you glance down – you estimate that you will have fallen about eighty feet by the time you reach the ground in about 2 more seconds ...

Your lamp only provides normal light in a ten foot radius and dim light for another ten feet beyond that – you can tell that this chamber is far, far bigger than that, but can’t see much beyond the elevator scaffolding and a couple of massive pillars. You do hear a faint scuffling sound in the darkness though, as if of someone – or something – moving about in the darkness. It occurs to you that your lamp makes you something of a beacon, and anything down here – assuming it can see – will see you long before you see it ...


Male Human Wizard/3
Andolphas Hecker wrote:
Andolphas groans as he watches Brashen make his way down the ladder and narrow stairs. He then waves Harrigan and Boland ahead. "I'm not very good at this kind of stuff," he mutters, "and it'll probably be slow going for me. Best for the two of you to go before me..."

Boland can't help but agree with Andolphas' sentiment as he watches Brashen descend. The big man had the benefit of the ring as a safety net against falling, but he had no such insurance.

"Maybe the lift wouldn't be such a bad idea? Or at the least we should use rope to secure ourselves?" He digs in his pack for rope and does his best to secure it around his waist. The other end he hands to one of the others, before nervously starting down after Brashen.

If possible, Boland will take 10 on all climb and balance checks, making his total 10 for the climb checks and 12 for the balance checks


How long is your rope? You lost sight of Brashen after 60ft, so the descent is at least that long. Who takes the other end? At what point do you begin your descent? Ie, before or after you lose sight of Brash?


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:
How long is your rope? You lost sight of Brashen after 60ft, so the descent is at least that long. Who takes the other end? At what point do you begin your descent? Ie, before or after you lose sight of Brash?

Yep, the rope is 50ft so will need to untie it when he reaches its limit andcontinue without it. He'll start after Brash when he's had a 25ft headstart, to try and keep within the light.

If the consensus from the others is to use the lift, then Boland will happily forgo his climb attempt and join the others on the lift!


Male Human Inquisitor 3

Harrigan has Darkvision 60 ft. I assume he can't see the bottom either then? Knowing this, Damion would volunteer his 50' of rope to be tied end-to-end with Boland's, making a total length of ~100 ft, give or take a few feet for making the knot secure. Also, since the muleback cords increase my carrying capacity, would lowering other party members down effectively count under that auspice (i.e. do I have an effective 21 STR for simply holding the rope while people go down or not)? I ask because lifting and dragging are covered under the "Carrying Capacity" rules and, if so, Damion could 'drag' over 2000 lbs, easily enough for the entire party to descend.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Moth

Spoiler:
Brash licks his lips nervously as he descends the last few feet, realizing the trouble he may have put himself in. Quickly looking around at the lay out of the room (or at least this part of it) he will try to identify a wall to put his back too (a corner if possible, or somewhere where the wall meets the scaffolding etc). When he hits the ground, he will move to that position. If no attack as occurred at that point, he will drop weapon and shield, take of his helmet and place it a few feet infront of him, facing outwards, then move back and wait, drawing Kullens axe.
obviously this depends alot on what else is occurring, no worries if it doesn't work out. We really should have taken the lift...


Momentarily forgot about darkvision, but no, even with his darkvision Harrigan cannot see the bottom. You get the sense that this opens out into a vast and deep space.

Muleback cords, for holding up a dead weight hanging at the end of a long rope, or lowering it down – sure, they will apply. But for anything that might require a strength check – say bracing against a sudden application of weight on the end of the rope, or hauling that weight back up hand by hand while its swinging around at the end of the 100 feet of rope – the muleback cords will not help. Lowering the party down on the rope could work, but you could find yourself in trouble if it turns out that your 100 feet of rope is not long enough to reach the bottom ...


Boland ties his rope around his waist while Damion ties the other end to his own length of rope. The wizard then begins to climb cautiously down the initial ladder – at least that far, while the others muse about possible other approaches.

Boland takes it very slow and very steady, being careful with hand holds, watching where he is putting his feet, trying to keep as far away from the rail-less edges as possible. Although he probably has better balance than Brashen, he does not have the other man’s confidence, or a magic ring as a safety net, so Brashen slowly but steadily draws further ahead ...


Brashen:

Spoiler:
There are no solid walls that you can see. You can put your back against the lift shaft scaffolding – it is not solid, and if someone got inside the lift shaft they could attack you from behind, but the heavy timbers and metal braces of the scaffolding would give you some cover. Or you could move over to one of the large circular stone pillars you can see (a little away from the scaffolding) and put your back to one of those.


Male Human Fighter / 3
DM Mothman wrote:
Brashen: ** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
will move over to the lift shaft. Is it possible for me to get into it?

Brashen:

Spoiler:
Yes, there is about a nine foot wide opening on one side.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Moth

Spoiler:
cool, if possible Brash will make for that, placing his helmet facing out at the entrance, and standing in the shadows at the back


Brashen:

Spoiler:
You quickly spot an opening in the side of the lift shaft scaffolding and move in there, placing your helmet (with its lamp) facing outward at the entrance and moving into the shadows at the back of the shaft.

Not a moment too soon. Two humanoid figures – almost, but not quite as tall as yourself emerge from the gloom. One of them walks warily towards the light. He – or it – holds a greataxe, and wears a light helmet with a chainmail mask that obscures his features. He wears a black tabard adorned with a red, blasphemous looking symbol over a chain shirt. His bare arms appear to be covered in tattoos or some other markings. The other figure keeps to the very edge of the light and is difficult to see, moving slowly around the lift shaft.

“You shouldn’t be here, should you?” The approaching figure speaks in a soft but rather grating voice. It’s not entirely clear if he’s seen you or is just talking in your general direction.


Male Human Fighter / 3

moth

Spoiler:
Brash will remain quiet, putting down his axe and shield gently, then drawing his great axe. If the speaker doesn't make a move he will wait till the other is a decent distance around the shaft then may charge.


Brashen:

Spoiler:
”So quiet big man,” murmurs the masked person, approaching your helmet – the rapidly stepping forward and kicking it aside, instantly plunging the area into total darkness as the small flame in the lamp gutters and dies.


Male Human Fighter / 3
DM Mothman wrote:
Brashen: ** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
Brash will immediately charges at the figure, swinging a powerful blow with his new weapon, and hoping that it will serve him better than its last master

Perception check if that helps 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Brash has blind fighting, not sure what this does to the role. He will power attack taking 2 of his attack role if I don't get more than a -2 form fighting in darkness, if that makes sense. Havnt made any adjustments to the roles for darkness/posssible power attack
attack 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27
damage 1d12 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

As Brash strikes at the thing he lets out a loud roar, more to inform his friends of his predicement than anything else.


Male Human Fighter / 3

moth

Spoiler:
ah also didn't include the charge bonus sorry... is that just + to damage?


Brash:
Make an initiative check first, if you don’t act first you can keep those other rolls.
In darkness, if you are attacking into a square you know your enemy to be (ie, you act first or he hasn’t moved by the time you act) you get a 50% miss chance (so roll percentile dice, it is a miss if 50 or under) BUT because of blind fight you get to re-roll that miss chance if you want.
No other penalties to attack roll.
Power attack works differently in PF, at this level you just get a flat -1 to attack roll for +2 to damage (or +3 if using a two handed weapon as you are). Charge is just +2 to hit (and you take -2 to AC). But you can’t charge in the dark / if you can’t see, even with blindfight (you could still move and attack him, so long as he doesn’t move away).
We might slow things down a bit until I can figure out from the others how far away from you they will be when this fight breaks out.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Moth

Spoiler:
Ok, thanks for bearing with me!
initiative 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Miss chance 1d100 ⇒ 71


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas waits for Harrigan to go ahead of him, once Boland has untied the rope.


Boland continues to descend slowly, carefully and without mishap. However, the flaw in the plan with the rope soon becomes very evident – because the sections of stair wind their way around the scaffolding that forms the elevator shaft, and descend at an angle rather than vertically, Boland runs out of rope before he has gone fifty feet down.

Boland:
Looking down, you can still see Brashen’s light ahead of you, even though he is out of sight of the others up above. He is about sixty feet below you by this point between his head start and his faster movement. All of a sudden, Brashen seems to stumble, then fall off the edge of the stair he is traversing. You hear a faint gasp, and then see him begin to float gently downwards, his ring’s magic obviously not having failed him.


Hmm- I would take 10 all the way down, but I'm not sure a Climb of 11 is going to cut it. Let me know and I'll roll them out if I need to do so. Otherwise:
Climb: 11 (take 10)
Acrobatics: 19 (take 10)
Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Stealth 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


It is actually a pretty easy climb; made slightly more difficult by the darkness (not an issue for Harrigan), trying to do it stealthily and the ever present threat of a long drop if you do mess it up.

Harrigan follows closely after Boland (foregoing the protection of a rope), likewise taking the climb down the various ladders and bits of scaffolding, and the balancing on the narrow stairs and landings slowly and carefully.

Soon however, you are stuck behind Boland as he runs out of rope.

Ok, either Boland is going to have to untie his rope, or call back to Damion to let go at his end, or either Harrigan or Boland are going to have to try to edge past the other for either Harrigan to continue and / or Boland to go back. In this case, one of you needs to make an acrobatics check – cannot take 10.

Also Harrigan, at this point read the spoiler for Boland in the post above yours.


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:

Harrigan follows closely after Boland (foregoing the protection of a rope), likewise taking the climb down the various ladders and bits of scaffolding, and the balancing on the narrow stairs and landings slowly and carefully.

Soon however, you are stuck behind Boland as he runs out of rope.

When Boland comes to the end of the rope he sighs, but doesn't waste too much time untying it. He gasps as he see's Brash slip, but is relieved when he floats gently downwards.

"I hope it's a soft landing for Brash" he whispers to Harrigan, pointing out the slowly descending light. "Not much else but to try and catch up."

He continues slowly downwards without the rope, taking his time and care.

Will continue to take 10 climbing down


I’ll assume Harrigan also continues right after Boland.

Andolphas and Damion at the top, what are you doing? At this point Brashen is out of sight and Boland and Harrigan have descended about fifty feet and will soon be out of sight, being just about to turn the corner in the scaffolding and descend a ladder – the point where you lost sight of Brashen.


Boland and Harrigan:

Spoiler:
You both continue down at a careful and steady pace. The narrow stair takes a 90 degree turn around another corner of the scaffolding and you take another ladder down. You have now descended some seventy or eighty feet from the top. Damion and Andolphas are out of sight, obscured by the scaffolding and darkness. From where you saw Brashen’s small, distant pool of light as he floated down, it appeared that the bottom of this climb still lies far below you – Harrigan cannot make it out with his darkvision.

All of a sudden you hear a bellow from below, followed by the clash of steel. Glancing down to where you last saw Brashen, you see only inky blackness – there is no sign of his light.


Andolphas and Damion, make perception checks.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3
DM Mothman wrote:
Andolphas and Damion, make perception checks.

Andolphas frets as he watches Boland and Harrigan make their way down. "I've never been good at this sort of thing, and I'm more heavily encumbered than Boland," he mumbles. "Even if I put my chain shirt in my pack, it would still weigh me down and throw me off balance."

The pale priest begins to blush as he looks up at Damion: "if I removed my armour and put it in my pack... would you be able to lower it down to me once I reach the bottom?"

Perception: 3 + 2 = 5; too busy looking down the hole, worrying about the climb, and talking to Damion to notice anything.


Boland and Harrigan:

Spoiler:

"Ahh hell- big man managed to get himself in trouble already." Harrigan leans over looking down, "If you got any tricks up your sleeve to get us down there faster, now's the time kid."

Otherwise- it is time to abandon pretenses of stealth and get a move on.
Continue Taking 10 for Climb 11, Acrobatics 19, no stealth.


Male Human Inquisitor 3

Damion nods to Andolphas' question, peering down into the pit and growing concerned as he loses track of Brashen's light source.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27


Damion Valorn III wrote:

Damion nods to Andolphas' question, peering down into the pit and growing concerned as he loses track of Brashen's light source.

Perception: 1d20+10

You hear a faint yell and what sounds like metal striking against metal, echoing up from far below.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas curses in an uncharacteristic manner as he pulls off his miner's poncho and then his chain shirt as quickly as he can, while Boland prepares to untie his end of the rope. "Sounds like we may soon have company," he mutters to Damion.


Brashen:

Round 1:
Masked guards: 18
Brashen: 7

As the light sputters out, Brashen hefts his axe and prepares to charge, but he is momentarily disoriented by the darkness. Before he can react, at least one of the guards is on him, and he feels an axeblade skid on his chainmail before biting into his flesh for 9 point of damage.

You can attack back, but you need to pick a square to attack into. The attack could have come from any of the three squares in front of you, so technically you have a 1 in 3 chance of choosing the right one. However, since you have blind fighting and you won’t need it to re-roll your miss chance, I’ll give you a 2 in 3 chance of picking the right square. Roll d6, if you get 3 to 6 you hit (your roll was good enough to hit).


Male Human Fighter / 3
DM Mothman wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:

1d6 ⇒ 3


Brashen:

You swing your axe wildly through the air in front of you, with much force but little finesse; it is enough. The blade meets the resistance of armour, cuts through into flesh and bone. Your opponent gives a gurgle, is a dead weight on the end of your blade for a moment, then falls to the ground.

Backing away you bump into the scaffolding of the lift shaft behind you. An instant later you feel a sharp pain in your upper back as something pierces through a gap in the scaffolding. 6 points of damage and your turn again.


Boland and Harrigan:
You continue climbing down, all pretense at stealth gone; even so it is slow going. From below you hear a gurgle, a thud, the shriek of metal piercing metal.


Male Human Inquisitor 3

Damion curses under his breath, touching the tip of a bolt and setting it alight with the fury of Pholtus' divine power.

Casting light on a crossbow bolt.

Peering into the darkness, the Pholtan attempts to pinpoint the origin of the yelling and metallic sounds. Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

Assuming that's good enough, Damion will hammer a crossbow bolt down the shaft towards the noise, hopefully not striking his companions in the process but rather aiming to embed the bolt somewhere NEAR the sound's origin and thus illuminate the scene.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Once Boland releases his end of the rope, Andolphas will haul it up, then tie the bottom end to his backpack, which he will lower back down. With the pack as a makeshift weight, the priest will first check to see what Damion's bolt might have illuminated at the bottom... and then attempt his descent.

This should eliminate the encumbrance/armor check penalties I would have suffered, and which might have resulted in failed climb checks, even on Take 10s. The idea would be for Damion to untie the pack and bring it to Andolphas once the former makes his descent.

Perception: 4 + 2 = 6.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Moth

Spoiler:
Brash will take a 5ft step back and turn to face the direction of the attack. He stays very still and strains his ears, hoping to pick up some sound of his attacker.

perception check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 Hopping to hear the attacker climbing through the scaffolding, and try to attack while they are coming through, or listen out for there next movement.


Damion’s init: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18


Brash:
You can’t hear your attacker.

You can try attacking blindly into a square if you like – presumably the attack came from one of the three squares behind you (unless the dude is attacking with a ranged or reach weapon). It will be tricky, attacking through a scaffolding that you can’t see. Once again, due to blind fighting I’ll let you either re-roll the 50% miss chance for darkness OR choose another square. If you want to do that, go ahead and roll 1d6 for a square, make your attack roll and miss chance roll.


Damion casts a light spell on a crossbow bolt, loads it into his massive crossbow and fires down the hole, aiming for as close to the base of the scaffolding and the noise as he can.

Note that casting light on the crossbow bolt causes your previous casting of light to expire, so you will be relying on Andolphas’s helmet lamp for the moment.

To hit roll: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (10) + 6 - 2 = 14


Male Human Fighter / 3
DM Mothman wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Spoiler:
square 1d6 ⇒ 5 miss chance 1d100 ⇒ 20 attack 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24 damage 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Brashen Trell wrote:
DM Mothman wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

Brash:
Re-roll your miss chance for blind fighting ...

Male Human Fighter / 3

Spoiler:

1d100 ⇒ 28


Brashen:
The impact vibrates up your arm as your axe clashes into one of the support struts of the lift scaffolding. Miss.

All of a sudden, a globe of white light shoots down from above, as a crossbow bolt bearing a light spell clatters onto the stone floor just outside the scaffolding, bathing the area in light. You are able to see your opponent, another chain masked man, this one wielding a scythe, standing just on the other side of the scaffolding from you.

He looks over at the light in surprise, and takes a step away. Suddenly, the glow emanating from the crossbow bolt flickers and dims, casting the area in shadowy illumination.

A twenty foot radius from the bolt – which includes the area inside the scaffolding where you stand – is now dimly lit: 20% miss chance.

And back to your turn in round 3. Now that he’s stepped away from the scaffolding you can’t attack the guy in melee except with a reach weapon, and you probably can’t exit the lift shaft, reach him and still attack in one round (a double move can get you near him though).


Damion’s crossbow bolt zooms downward, shining its light on Harrigan and Boland as it flies past them, then clatters on the ground far below, creating a relatively small sphere of light in the vast darkness. The bottom appears to be some two hundred or so feet below where Andolphas and Damion stand; from this angle they still can’t see Brashen.

An instant after the glowing bolt lands, the light that it emanates appears to shrink and dim.


Harrigan and Boland:

Spoiler:
As Damion’s glowing bolt flies past and streaks below you to clatter on the ground, you look down to try to spy Brashen. It appears that you still have some seventy or so feet to climb to reach the bottom. In the glow of Damion’s spell, you can see an armoured figure standing just outside the lift shaft scaffolding, holding a scythe. Inside the shaft you spy Brashen standing with his axe in hand, with what appears to be a body lying at his feet. As you watch the person with the scythe steps away from Brashen and looks over at the area of light, which all of a sudden grows dim, throwing the area below into gloom.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Moth

Spoiler:

Brash smiles grimly. 'You don't like that light to much do you?' He moves at a run around the scaffolding towards the creature, axe at the ready. if possible he will move into contact close combat with the creature

3,051 to 3,100 of 3,519 << first < prev | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mothman's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.