Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Mothman's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Mothman

Age of Worms, Greyhawk, Pathfinder rules


251 to 300 of 3,519 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Taking his cue from Brashen, Andolphas bows slightly and makes his way down the east passage, scanning and tapping with his spear the walls, ceiling and floor as he advances. "Green Lady, guide my steps and shield me from harm," whispers the cleric.

Search: 6 + 1 = 7; Spot: 13 + 1 = 14.


Male Human Ranger / 2
Brashen Trell wrote:
Brash raises his voice to include the whole group in the conversation. 'Well what are we going to do? theres not much point just standing around up here. We know theres a passage down under this cylinder, which is the only evident way forward, the only problem being that the cylinder is unpredictable and we need at least one person up here to operate it. So why dont De'grat and Strevlik keep testing that and see if you can find a pattern, while you two' Brash looks to Boland and Andolphas 'and me try to work out a way forward up here. But if we havnt found anything soon, then i suggest a few of us head down and explore that other passage.' Brash takes a breath. 'Have you had a look down any of the passages up here yet? Why dont we start searching them?'

Brashen's idea is a good one - Strevlik nods to Da'gret and grips the cyclinder again for another round of pushing.

Strength: 18+3=21


With a grunt of assent, Da'gret throws himself against the sarcophagus again.
Aid Another: 15+4 = 19


Brashen and Andolphas head off in different directions to search two different passageways.

Brashen heads into the south-west passage; it appears much like the others, about thirty feet long ending in a rounded alcove. Unlike most of the others, no lantern hangs here, just a chain with a hook at the end of it to hang a lantern upon. Brash gives the place a cursory search, but there is little to see and his mind doesn’t really appear to be on the job; perhaps he is thinking of the flash of movement he saw in the tunnel below, or trying to recall if there might have been anything down there that would bring the cylinder back up independently of what was happening above …

Andolphas also chooses a tunnel that does not host a lantern, the eastern tunnel in this case. There’s equally little to see, the tunnel and alcove appearing much like all the others, but Andolphas is a little more diligent in his search, and does note something of interest. Directly below the empty chain, a five foot diameter circle has been carved into the stone floor … in the same relative position as the cylinder in the north-west passage.

Momentarily, both men are distracted from their searches when Strevlik and Da’gret announce that they intend to push the sarcophagus again. The pair take their positions and begin to push. By now they well have the measure of the amount of strength required to move the thing, and push it easily enough further around in a clockwise direction.

As soon as the head of the sarcophagus points away from the north-west passage, the doors of the cylinder close, and with a low rumble it descends back into the ground. A few seconds later the sarcophagus has been swung around to point to the north passage, the passage of the green lantern. As it clicks into place, the familiar rumbling sound begins again – but a few seconds later this rumbling turns into a cacophonous groaning, grating sound of stone on stone. Boland, who is standing quite close to the entrance of the northern passage, feels the ground trembling slightly under-foot.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash looks around at the rumbling, and exits the south west passage. 'Looks like that ones out of action. I've been thinking, there was a small hand sized niche next to the cylinder exit down below. Its possible that that might be a way to activate it from that end. I was just about to test it out when the flicker of movement distracted me, and then you guys brought me back up. Im not sure but its possible. If you want me to go and check it out ill head down again, but maybe we should finish searching the passages and testing the rest of the cylinders.'

If poeple agree we should continue searching, Brash will go to the next passage and search (search check =16), if not he'll head down again


The loud grinding noise is ongoing - it has not stopped.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3
DM Mothman wrote:
The loud grinding noise is ongoing - it has not stopped.

The ongoing nose sets Andolphas on edge. "What's going on? Is the whole cairn going to cave in on our heads? There's a circular outline in the floor here that should correspond to another cylindrical device... what happens if you turn the sarcophagus this way?"


Da'gret grimaces at the continuous grinding, "Why does it not stop? Where is the tube?" When Andolphas suggests a different setting, the half-orc gladly complies before the place can come crashing down.

Str 16+4 = 20


Male Human Wizard/3
Da'gret wrote:

Da'gret grimaces at the continuous grinding, "Why does it not stop? Where is the tube?" When Andolphas suggests a different setting, the half-orc gladly complies before the place can come crashing down.

Str 16+4 = 20

Boland who had been standing lost in thought for a moment, turns and urges the pair to indeed move the sarcophagus to another setting. He then turns back to the Northern tunnel with interest, wondering what is causing the problem, but not wanting to venture closer until the grinding noise has stopped.

Assuming the noise does cease when the sarcphagus is moved on, Boland will venture down the tunnel cautiously, searching the area and looking for anything that might be impeding the mechanism that raises the cylinders

Search check 14 + 2 = 16, Knoweldge - Dungeoneering 2 + 5 = 7


Da’gret throws his shoulder against the sarcophagus, easily causing it to turn. This has the immediate effect of causing the horrid noise and the faint trembling of the ground to cease.

The sarcophagus clicks into place pointing towards the north-east passage, where hangs the blue lantern. There is no apparent effect; no noise, no movement, no emerging cylinder.

Boland heads cautiously into the northern passage, searching carefully about. He finds on the floor a five foot diameter circle carved into the stone, where a cylinder might be if one were to appear. There appear to be some very faint cracks in the stone floor within this circle.

There is no obvious impediment to a cylinder being raised here – nothing that Boland can make out at any rate.


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:

Boland heads cautiously into the northern passage, searching carefully about. He finds on the floor a five foot diameter circle carved into the stone, where a cylinder might be if one were to appear. There appear to be some very faint cracks in the stone floor within this circle.

There is no obvious impediment to a cylinder being raised here – nothing that Boland can make out at any rate.

"Hmmm, I wonder if the lit lantern has anything to do with the workings?" Boland mutters to himself in thought. He moves back out into the room and notices that nothing has happened in the North-East passage. "Strange" he mutters again, trying to work out how the strange passage system works.

"We may as well go the whole way around, each passage at a time, and see what happens" he says, louder this time so the others can hear. We could then try a few tests, like adding this lantern," he holds up the lantern recovered from the snake's lair, "Or perhaps removing the torch from the green lantern" he finishes, pointing towards the north passage.

Locked in this puzzle, the rest of the group would notice that Boland's usual nervousness and hesitation seems to have diminished considerably.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

"Agreed," calls Andolphas, waiting for the sarcophagus to be turned in his direction.


Waiting on one of the strong guys to push the thing again. The DC for pushing the sarcophagus clockwise is 15, so feel free to re-roll if you don’t beat this.
Boland, if you intend to place the indigo lantern – in which passage?
Andolphas, how close are you standing to the circle?


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3
DM Mothman wrote:

Andolphas, how close are you standing to the circle?

10 feet away maybe? With shield held towards the circle...


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:

Waiting on one of the strong guys to push the thing again. The DC for pushing the sarcophagus clockwise is 15, so feel free to re-roll if you don’t beat this.

Boland, if you intend to place the indigo lantern – in which passage?
Andolphas, how close are you standing to the circle?

Boland believes the Indigo lantern should hang in the Eastern passage. However, he was going to hang off hanging it there until testing what happens when the sarcophagus points at the passage without the lantern, then with it. Assuming everyone agrees that's a good idea of course...


Str 10+4 = 14
15+4 = 19
...and back to sleep.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash agrees with this and offers to take a turn pushing
strength check 14+4=18 for the next push after de'grats


Da’gret’s great strength and bulk easily move the heavy stone again (I’ll save your roll for the next spin Brash), and it swings around to point towards the eastern passage, where Andolphas stands tense and ready, several feet away from the lantern-less chain.

As the sarcophagus clicks into place, there is the familiar sound of low rumbling, and seconds later another metallic cylinder smoothly emerges from the floor, the stone circle its lid. A hiss of air, and the metal doors slide open, bathing Andolphas in a harsh white light, where his readied shield does not cast him in contrasting shadow.

The cylinder appears identical to the other one … almost. From his near vantage, Andolphas can see that this one is not entirely empty, its stone floor strewn with what appears to be numerous broken bones and moldy rags.


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:
The cylinder appears identical to the other one … almost. From his near vantage, Andolphas can see that this one is not entirely empty, its stone floor strewn with what appears to be numerous broken bones and moldy rags.

On hearing the cylinder rise, Boland moves around and joins Andolphas. "Interesting - this passage has no lantern hanging and the cylinder still arose. Perhaps the lanterns are nothing more than a navigation tool - a sign post if you will."

He muses on that thought for a moment before pointing at the debris at the bottom of the cylinder. "Well, someone of something has been down there. Strevlik!" he calls over his shoulder. "Come and look at this for a moment. Can you tell how old these bones are?"


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash also moves over to the cylinder. 'So we going down again? We might be able to fit 2 people in there and still have a tourch if one crouches mothman, would that be possible? I dont mind volunterring again.' Brash fixes Andolphas with a smug look. 'We seem to have this thing worked out, we can try for 30 seconds down there, then bring it back up again. It might be good to have someone else along though, to have a better search of the room, last time i didnt get much time on my own.'


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3
Brashen Trell wrote:
Brash also moves over to the cylinder. 'So we going down again? We might be able to fit 2 people in there and still have a tourch if one crouches mothman, would that be possible? I dont mind volunterring again.' Brash fixes Andolphas with a smug look. 'We seem to have this thing worked out, we can try for 30 seconds down there, then bring it back up again. It might be good to have someone else along though, to have a better search of the room, last time i didnt get much time on my own.'

"Well done, Da'gret," calls Andolphas. The somber cleric returns Brash's smug look with a crooked, crow-like smile of his own. "I'll happily go with you, fearless Brashen, as I am a man of my word and wish to put our companions doubts concerning my... ah, bravery... to rest. And I also want to make sure that, despite your heretical leanings, the Dark-Eyed Lady does not claim you sooner than is necessary. I wonder, though... bones in the lift... this would suggest that those within had no means of getting out, or returning to the surface... Could this cylinder be trapped? Or does some trap await us at the bottom?" Andolphas begins to conduct a cursory examination of both the cylinder's exterior and interior, feeling its edges with one hand without setting foot inside, while holding out his holy symbol above the bones with the other. "Whoever you may have been, I pray that your journey to the afterlife was without incident," murmurs the young man.

Search check: 5 + 1 = 6. As a priest of a goddess of death who presumably has been exposed to numerous corpses/bones of persons that had died by a variety of means, could Andolphas make a general Intelligence or Wisdom check, or perhaps a Heal check to see if he might glean some information pertaining to the cause of death of the skeletons within the cylinder? Roll: 19 (appropriate skill/ability and modifier to be determined by DM)...


Brashen Trell wrote:
mothman, would that be possible?

It would be a tight squeeze. If wearing light or no armour, not carrying a shield or any two handed weapons, and with no backpack … yeah, you could probably squeeze two of you in there.


Andolphas Hecker wrote:


Search check: 5 + 1 = 6. As a priest of a goddess of death who presumably has been exposed to numerous corpses/bones of persons that had died by a variety of means, could Andolphas make a general Intelligence or Wisdom check, or perhaps a Heal check to see if he might glean some information pertaining to the cause of death of the skeletons within the cylinder? Roll: 19 (appropriate skill/ability and modifier to be determined by DM)...

Andolphas, your search does not reveal anything out of the ordinary, but your visual examination of the bones does.

You would estimate them to consist of a single human sized skeleton … and the bones are all broken in such a way to suggest they have been severely crushed – smashed to bits.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

"Well, whoever was in here was definitely crushed to death... though whether this happened before or after they entered the cylinder, I'm not quite sure. This thing seems to be an awfully tight squeeze for two -- we could probably only do it without our packs and shields... still want to do it, Brashen?"

Moth... would Andolphas have been able to guess how old the bones are?


Da'gret leans on the sarcophagus while Brashen and Andolphas discuss. When Andolphas points out the state of the remains the primitive snorts, "I don't like it. Maybe this stupid tube crushed him. Some tubes go somewhere, maybe others traps for graverobbers. Why not test? We cut off a section of the snake- send tube down and bring it up. If snake is crushed... then we know something."


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3
Da'gret wrote:
Da'gret leans on the sarcophagus while Brashen and Andolphas discuss. When Andolphas points out the state of the remains the primitive snorts, "I don't like it. Maybe this stupid tube crushed him. Some tubes go somewhere, maybe others traps for graverobbers. Why not test? We cut off a section of the snake- send tube down and bring it up. If snake is crushed... then we know something."

Andolphas raises an eyebrow in response to Da'gret's comments. "That's an excellent suggestion... I had totally forgotten about the tasty snake remains that you're carrying in your pack!"


Da'gret quirks an eyebrow incredulously, "That's for eating. There is more though." He jogs down the cavern and comes back with the head and beginning of the snake's body thrown over his shoulder. He tosses the snake's remains through the open doors and nods to Strevlik.

Strev already has a success on turning the thing.


A quick conference with Strevlik leads Andolphas to believe that the bones are probably somewhere between a couple of decades and a century old, based on the amount of discolouration and deterioration. It’s difficult to get more accurate than that, given the damage to them and the fact that neither man really knows the conditions they have been lying in.

Da’gret returns with a portion of snake remains, and after the others who have crowded into the narrow tunnel clear out to allow the bulky half-orc access, throws it into the cylinder.

The partial snake corpse lands squarely atop the bones, and Brashen, responding to Da’gret’s signal, pushes at the sarcophagus, spinning it to face the south-east tunnel. The doors of the cylinder snap shut, and it descends back into the ground. Nothing further happens when the sarcophagus clicks into place pointing towards the south-east tunnel and its violet coloured lantern.

What now? Push the sarcophagus all the way back around (clockwise) till it reaches the east passage again? Try to push it back (anti-clockwise) one click to the east? Push it clockwise until / unless something else happens?


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:
What now? Push the sarcophagus all the way back around (clockwise) till it reaches the east passage again? Try to push it back (anti-clockwise) one click to the east? Push it clockwise until / unless something else happens?

Boland observes the discussion with interest, silently approving of Da'gret's suggestion. "Let's keep pushing the sarcophagus around and see what the other tunnels do. We can come back to the East tunnel - if the snake's head is going to be crushed, then it won't matter if we leave it down there a bit longer..."

Don't know if it's worth possibly damaging the mechanism by forcing it anti-clockwise. I reckon we keep going as is, testing each tunnel 1 at a time, and we'll soon come back to the East tunnel and the snake's head.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3
Boland 'Bowls' Karendum wrote:


Boland observes the discussion with interest, silently approving of Da'gret's suggestion. "Let's keep pushing the sarcophagus around and see what the other tunnels do. We can come back to the East tunnel - if the snake's head is going to be crushed, then it won't matter if we leave it down there a bit longer..."

Don't know if it's worth possibly damaging the mechanism by forcing it anti-clockwise. I reckon we keep going as is, testing each tunnel 1 at a time, and we'll soon come back to the East tunnel and the snake's head.

"Agreed..."


Male Human Fighter / 3

'Sounds like a plan' Brash agrees, and gets behind the sarcophagus to give it a push. 8+4=12... he'll try again 14+4=18


Brashen and the other strong-men continue to push the sarcophagus around the circle.

~Click~ pointing to the south, the entrance to this tomb chamber … nothing happens.

~Click~ pointing to the south west tunnel, where no lantern hangs – nothing.

~Click~ pointing towards the west and the tunnel with the orange lantern – again nothing.

~Click~ the sarcophagus swings around to the north-west tunnel, where the cylinder that Brashen rode in first emerged. There is a rumble, and the cylinder emerges again from the floors. Its metal doors whoosh open, lighting the tunnel with the strobe effect of a now flickering white light.


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:
~Click~ the sarcophagus swings around to the north-west tunnel, where the cylinder that Brashen rode in first emerged. There is a rumble, and the cylinder emerges again from the floors. Its metal doors whoosh open, lighting the tunnel with the strobe effect of a now flickering white light.

Boland watches the results of each point, taking mental notes. When the lift appears at the North-West tunnel again he says "Ok, so we have now reviewed each point. This one," he says pointing at North-West tunnel "is one of 2 lifts that works, and possibly has a trigger at the bottom which will allow someone down there to return to the surface. We will need to test this - we want to ensure that we have a way out if we choose to head down."

He turns to the North tunnel and says "This mechanism seems to be jammed in some way." He turns to the East tunnel and says "This one works, though there is a possiblity that the last unfortunate person to use it was crushed to death by it!"

Turning back to the group he says "I propose we go round once more. Let's try removing the torch from the North tunnel and see if this effects the lift's ability to work. We can then look at the snake head we placed in the East lift and see if it has indeed been crushed. We could potentially try adding the lantern we found to this lift and see if that makes a difference as well, but I would be inclined to do that after we bring the lift back up. Then, pending results, we can send someone back down this tunnel" (points to the North-West) and see if someone below is able to bring the lift up on their own."


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3
Boland 'Bowls' Karendum wrote:


Turning back to the group he says "I propose we go round once more. Let's try removing the torch from the North tunnel and see if this effects the lift's ability to work. We can then look at the snake head we placed in the East lift and see if it has indeed been crushed. We could potentially try adding the lantern we found to this lift and see if that makes a difference as well, but I would be inclined to do that after we bring the lift back up. Then, pending results, we can send someone back down this tunnel" (points to the North-West) and see if someone below is able to bring the lift up on their own."

"Boland, my boy, who would have guessed that one day you would exhibit such fine examples of self-confidence and decisive leadership? I'm sure you'll give Amariss some credit for having steered you on the right track... but yes, I agree with your plan of action. Now let it be done!" Andolphas's mood brightens considerably as a result of the group's discoveries. He suddenly seems almost exhuberant, and certainly more personable, eyes glinting with excitement... as if a coffin lid had been lifted from the tomb of a prematurely buried youth...

Okay, so that last statement may have bordered on the heavy-handed and cheesy... but whatever... :-)


Male Human Wizard/3
Andolphas Hecker wrote:

"Boland, my boy, who would have guessed that one day you would exhibit such fine examples of self-confidence and decisive leadership? I'm sure you'll give Amariss some credit for having steered you on the right track... but yes, I agree with your plan of action. Now let it be done!" Andolphas's mood brightens considerably as a result of the group's discoveries. He suddenly seems almost exhuberant, and certainly more personable, eyes glinting with excitement... as if a coffin lid had been lifted from the tomb of a prematurely buried youth...

Okay, so that last statement may have bordered on the heavy-handed and cheesy... but whatever... :-)

Boland becomes a little abashed at Andolphas' words and the confidence exuded immediately starts to withdraw. Caught up in the puzzle of the tomb, he had unconciously done away with much of the awkwardness he usually displayed. Now it returns in a rush, and he manages a mumbled "It just seemed the obvious thing to do..." before quickly turning away as if to study one of the passages a little closer. Anyone paying close attention will notice the small smile playing across his face, a mixture of embarressment and pride at the praise.


Boland, do you remove the torch from the green lantern? Sarcophagus pushers, do you agree with Boland’s suggestion of doing the circle again?


Male Human Fighter / 3
DM Mothman wrote:
Boland, do you remove the torch from the green lantern? Sarcophagus pushers, do you agree with Boland’s suggestion of doing the circle again?

'Good idea, lets do it' Brash agrees. do we have to keep making strength checks or can we assume that between De'grat Strevlik and myself that we can successfuly push it around?


I’ll assume you can push it, unless speed or timing is critical.


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:
I’ll assume you can push it, unless speed or timing is critical.

Seeing no objections, Boland moves cautiously forward and attempts to take the torch from the green lantern before the next move of the sarcophagus.


Boland removes the everburning torch from the green lantern (fairly easily accomplished by reaching up and opening the back of the lamp), which has the effect of removing the green tinge to the light in the chamber, but no other noticeable effect.

Now holding two torches, the mage moves safely back out of the passage and indicates his readiness to the others.

The strongmen (Brashen, Da’gret and Strevlik) push again at the sarcophagus, swinging it back around to again face the northern passage. It swings easily enough, but as soon as it clicks into position the horrid grinding sound begins again, and Boland can again feel the faint trembling of the floor in his position near the mouth of the north passage.

Before anyone has much of a chance to react, the grinding becomes an ear piercing shriek, followed by a sudden crash then a crack. Boland feels the ground shudder, and then part of the floor of the alcove below the green lantern collapses, leaving a gaping dark hole. A few seconds later there is another crash from somewhere below … then silence.

Or is there silence? Those who care to may make a Listen check.


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:
Before anyone has much of a chance to react, the grinding becomes an ear piercing shriek, followed by a sudden crash then a crack. Boland feels the ground shudder, and then part of the floor of the alcove below the green lantern collapses, leaving a gaping dark hole. A few seconds later there is another crash from somewhere below … then silence.
Quote:

Boland stumbles back as the loud crack sounds and the floor opens up in front of him, coming close to dropping both of the torches.

As the resounding crash sounds below, he mutters "Uh-oh..." and cocks his head to listen, barely daring to breath lest something more gives way. Listen check 14 + 1 = 15


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

As the floor begins to rumble again and a floor section begins to collapse, Andolphas's eyes go wide. When the noise stops, he he remains still as a statue, whiter than his normally pale self. "My ears are ringing," he whispers. "I can't hear much... has the noise stopped? O Green Lady, has our time come? I beg your forgiveness if we have offended your patron, the Dark-Eyed Lady, in some way..."

Listen check: 8 + 1 = 9.

Then, with renewed fervour, he yells at the top of his lungs: "Friends, this may be your last opportunity to convert to the faith of Wee Jas, the Dark-Eyed Lady, and to ensure safe passage into the Afterlife! Renounce her, and you may be doomed to eternal undeath in this cairn! Think fast!!!"


Male Human Fighter / 3
Andolphas Hecker wrote:

As the floor begins to rumble again and a floor section begins to collapse, Andolphas's eyes go wide. When the noise stops, he he remains still as a statue, whiter than his normally pale self. "My ears are ringing," he whispers. "I can't hear much... has the noise stopped? O Green Lady, has our time come? I beg your forgiveness if we have offended your patron, the Dark-Eyed Lady, in some way..."

Listen check: 8 + 1 = 9.

Then, with renewed fervour, he yells at the top of his lungs: "Friends, this may be your last opportunity to convert to the faith of Wee Jas, the Dark-Eyed Lady, and to ensure safe passage into the Afterlife! Renounce her, and you may be doomed to eternal undeath in this cairn! Think fast!!!"

Brash pauses to listen after the noies subsides listen 16 before Andolphas yells his words. 'Quiet you fool!' Brash hisses the words so as not to be too loud, but letting his anger at the priest be clearly heard. 'Ive heard tales of a loud shout echoing in the mountains is enough to cause a landslide, for all we know your ranting could bring the roof down on us!'


Listen DC 10+

Spoiler:
For a moment there is silence … then you hear, from the direction of the hole, a sort of skittering sound … like the movement of thousands of fast, tiny feet…


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3
Brashen Trell wrote:


Brash pauses to listen after the noies subsides listen 16 before Andolphas yells his words. 'Quiet you fool!' Brash hisses the words so as not to be too loud, but letting his anger at the priest be clearly heard. 'Ive heard tales of a loud shout echoing in the mountains is enough to cause a landslide, for all we know your ranting could bring the roof down on us!'

"I, for one, have no reason to fear death, for I am prepared for the Great Journey," hisses Andolphas back at Brashen, "unlike others here..." The young cleric then regains his better judgement, and attempts to listen for the sounds some of his companions clearly still here.

Ah, crap... Listen check: 6 + 1 = 7.


Male Human Wizard/3
Andolphas Hecker wrote:
"I, for one, have no reason to fear death, for I am prepared for the Great Journey," hisses Andolphas back at Brashen, "unlike others here..." The young cleric then regains his better judgement, and attempts to listen for the sounds some of his companions clearly still here.

Boland listens distractedly as the two men argue. "It sounds like..." he begins hesitantly, before pausing for a second and listening some more. "It sounds like something scuttling - the patter of hundreds of tiny feet!"

He edges forward towards the lip of the hole and holds out the burning torch (as opposed to the ever burning torch) over the edge to see what is making the sound.


Da'gret grabs his spear and waits in nervous anticipation. His ears prick up at a growing sound coming from below, and seeing the mage moving to the precipes the half-orc roars at Boland, "WIZARD! You want to die today?! Get away from there- you'll be overrun and eaten alive! Whatever it is, we just threw a rock at the beehive, RUN!"

Listen 14+3 = 17


Male Human Ranger / 2

Strevlik concurs with the others that the sounds are definitely of creatures scuttling. He motions to the others to be quiet so he can try to focus on the noise to see if he can recognise it. knowledge, nature test: 17+1=18
The ranger suspects that the creatures might bring danger and warns his companions to be ready for combat.


Boland holds the torch over the hole, and looks down.

The smooth, grey stone walls of the shaft fade away into blackness about forty feet down. The wizard cannot see the bottom. However, as he watches, and hears the skittering grow gradually louder, he realises that the darkness is moving up the shaft in a shifting, undulating wave.

Then he hears Da’gret’s yell.

As Da’gret yells is alarm, the origin of the sound suddenly clicks into place for Strevlik. It sounds like a large swarm of tiny, hard bodied creatures crawling over stone and rubbing against each other. But for the sound to be this loud … there must be hundreds, maybe thousands of the things.

It sounds like a crawling swarm rather than a flying one; probably big ants, or possibly beetles or spiders. Individually the creatures would likely pose little danger, but in such large numbers they can easily overwhelm a man and bite or sting him to death in a matter of seconds. And as Strevlik knows, swarms of small creatures are notoriously difficult to fight; a sword swing or the smash of a mace might kill dozens of them … but there will still be hundreds and hundreds more.

Roll for initiative.

As a (totally non-related) aside, anyone seen the new Indiana Jones movie yet?


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:

Boland holds the torch over the hole, and looks down.

The smooth, grey stone walls of the shaft fade away into blackness about forty feet down. The wizard cannot see the bottom. However, as he watches, and hears the skittering grow gradually louder, he realises that the darkness is moving up the shaft in a shifting, undulating wave.

Then he hears Da’gret’s yell.

Boland stares for a few seconds in fascination at the swirling shifting darkness. Once he starts to register what it is though, his fascination turns to horror. Yet he remains a while longer, frozen to the spot.

Da'gret's warning yell breaks him from the trance and he immediately attempts to stumble backwards, away from the tunnel entrance.

Initiative 12 + 2 = 14. Nope, haven't seen the movie yet.

251 to 300 of 3,519 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mothman's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.