Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Mothman's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Mothman

Age of Worms, Greyhawk, Pathfinder rules


151 to 200 of 3,519 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Taking a step forward, Da'gret drops to one knee and flexes his back, head lowered. Thick wiry fur bursts from his form covering it in a dirty white coat, as legs and arms draw in to become four cloven-hooved legs. When he raises his head again it is the snout of an ill-tempered boar, jerking its prominent tusks back and forth in challenge. Abruptly the razorback charges full ahead at the snake, head low bringing tusks up under it and throwing upward with all of its considerable might.

Swift Shift
Charge: +2 Attack, -2 AC
Gore 18+8 = 26
Damage 2+6


Male Human Wizard/3
Da'gret wrote:

Taking a step forward, Da'gret drops to one knee and flexes his back, head lowered. Thick wiry fur bursts from his form covering it in a dirty white coat, as legs and arms draw in to become four cloven-hooved legs. When he raises his head again it is the snout of an ill-tempered boar, jerking its prominent tusks back and forth in challenge. Abruptly the razorback charges full ahead at the snake, head low bringing tusks up under it and throwing upward with all of its considerable might.

Swift Shift
Charge: +2 Attack, -2 AC
Gore 18+8 = 26
Damage 2+6

Boland's eyes widen in amazement at the half-orc's sudden change into boar form, and his wild charge in at the snake. He had been considering blasting the snake with a spell he'd spent months practicing, eager to try and prove to his companions that he was not the incompetent academic they saw him as. However, seeing the wicked tucks of Da'gret-Boar dig into the snake, he decides to hold on to his spell and only use it if the snake threatens any of his companions.

Boland will delay to initiative 17 - unleashing his spell if the snake looks like it is about to attack.


It is a rather surreal sight; an albino razor-back boar goring and stamping at an abnormally huge serpent in this dark, dusty tomb.

The boar-that-was-Da’gret’s tusks slash at the snake’s flanks, drawing blood and causing the giant ophidian to hiss and writhe in muscular coilings. The boar gores a second time, and another crimson patch erupts on the snake’s flank.

The snake’s head whips around towards the boar, mouth opened wide, fangs bared, looking like it is about to bite.

NPC’d Dagret’s turn in round 1 as he will be away. Another hit, but the snake is still looking strong. Time for Boland’s readied action and Strevlik’s turn. The snake is big enough that at this point there is no penalty for firing into combat.


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:
The snake’s head whips around towards the boar, mouth opened wide, fangs bared, looking like it is about to bite.

Seeing the snake's head whip up to attack, Boland shouts out an arcane word and points his finger at the snake, aiming slightly away from where it's head tangles with the boar-that-was-Da'gret. With a blue-white flash, a ray of crackling electricity springs from his finger, bending around his companions and heading unerringly towards the snake.

Technical: Boland casts Seeking Ray. It requires a ranged touch attack to hit, but ignores concealment and cover and does not take the standard penalty for firing into combat. To hit: natural 20!! To damage: 1 + 5 + 4 + 6 = 16.

(not that I need it in this case, but does a ranged touch attack gain dex bonus to hit? I'm guessing not, but not sure).


Don’t you need to make a caster level check or concentration check or something to cast that at this level?
Yes, ranged touch gets a dex modifier, just like a normal ranged attack.
Also, pending the level check, that is a critical threat – roll to confirm crit, if you hit AC15 roll a second lot of damage.


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:

Don’t you need to make a caster level check or concentration check or something to cast that at this level?

Yes, ranged touch gets a dex modifier, just like a normal ranged attack.
Also, pending the level check, that is a critical threat – roll to confirm crit, if you hit AC15 roll a second lot of damage.

Right you are. It's a DC 8 Spellcraft check, but with a +8 Specllcraft modifier is it possible for me to fail? I assume a 1 fails regardless? Spellcraft check: 12 + 8 = 20.

The spell didn't mention criticals so I assumed it wouldn't apply, however, willing to give it a go! Critical confirmation: 8 + 2 = 10. Oh well


Fair enough, I forgot about that extra +2 you get to Spellcraft due to Precocious Apprentice.
Any spell that requires an attack roll to hit and does hit point damage can potentially score a crit (20/x2).

Lightning arcs from Boland’s outstretched hand towards the snake, writhing over its body, badly burning it. The creature makes a sound that is something between a screech and a hiss. It is not down, but obviously badly injured.

Strevlik.


Male Human Ranger / 2

Strevlik didn’t recognise the type of snake, only that a snake this large was likely to be aggressive. Seeing that his companions were already attacking it and that it might fight back, he aimed his bow at it and fired.

Bow attack: 12+5=17. Damage: 7


Strevlik’s arrow flies straight and true, burying itself deep into the snake’s neck – but does not finish it off.

This snake is truly a monster. It has taken enough hits to down a burly warrior or a raging boar, but although it is obviously in pain, thrashing and hissing, it still has some fight left in it. It lashes out at the boar, Da’gret, mouth open wide, fangs bared – but although it makes contact, its teeth are unable to penetrate the razor-backs thick bristled hide.

Brashen’s turn.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash moves forward to engage the beast, and swings his battle axe hard at the snake 14+5=19 5+5=10 dmg


Brashen’s axe swings down at the snake’s neck, almost completely severing it. Blood sprays out, the snake writhes and twists, but soon stops moving, slumping to the floor, dead.

The explorers have triumphed over the first threat that the Whispering Cairn has thrown at them.

What now? There is a dais at the shadowy western end of this hall, a partially collapsed area where the snake came from to the east, and another passage – this one shrouded in conwebs and with the flickering green light beyond it – to the north.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash rushes back to his tourch to retrieve it of the ground. 'Big snake. Think it would be worth anything?' Not really waiting for a reply Brash heads over to the Western end of the room, and raises his tourch to better study the dias.
Brash will search the area, for valuables and also trying to keep his eyyes peeled for traps. Search 9+2=11


Brashen, mounting the short flight of steps spanning the back half of the western wing your attention is called to a faded fresco that decorates the south, west, and north walls. From a vantage point at the centre of the dais, the wall painting makes it look like you stand within a massive room with seven short hallways radiating out from it. The fresco depicts a chain dangling from the ceiling at the end of each hallway, and at the end of each chain hangs a lit, faded, colored lantern. From left to right, the colors of the lanterns depicted in the fresco are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet. Despite the faded and peeling paint, the colours can still be made out clearly enough.

A quick search of the western wing reveals neither traps nor treasure.


Male Human Wizard/3
Brashen Trell wrote:
Brash rushes back to his tourch to retrieve it of the ground. 'Big snake. Think it would be worth anything?'

"Probably not, unless of course it's swallowed someone wearing anything valuable" Boland answers, and then shivers slightly at the image of the snake with a man-sized bulge part way along its length.

As Brashen heads towards the Western end of the room, Boland takes a moment to settle his nerves. Mixed emotions were flowing through him - on the one hand he was strangely elated from the battle, and the fact he was able to contribute. On the other hand he was somewhat horrified by the amount of damage the snake took before dying. He was suddenly very glad he had managed to convince everyone to joing him on this venture, not wanting to think of what might had happened had only 2 or 3 decided to come along.

Shaking himself of these thoughts he points to the webs and says "Watch the webbing - it seems to have some large spiders in it. I'm going to take a look at the fresco". He follows Brashen down to the Western end of the hall and studies the scene, trying to make some sense of it. He takes a sheet of paper out of his pack along with a small pot of ink and a pen and sketches a rough map of the depicted room. He is careful to note which colour lamps hang before which passage ways.


Male Human Wizard/3

Mothman, can you supply the rough dimensions of this room?

Once finished with the sketch of the mural, Boland takes a second sheet of paper and sketches out a quick map of the cairn thus far explored, taking note of things found at each point.

He then stands and studies the mural more closely saying "Do you mind if we take a closer look at this for a while? It might be some sort of a clue for navigating the cairn..."

Propose to take 20 on a search check, especially if we have anyone able to detect secret passages? Boland will make a knowledge - arcana (17 + 6 = 23), knowledge - religion (2 + 5 = 7) and knowledge - dungeoneering (6 + 5 = 11) check to see if he can gleen any more information from the mural


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

The battle is over before Andolphas has even had a chance to react. He raises one eyebrow in wonder (especially at the sight of Da'gret morphing into an albino boar), and twirls his spear in his left hand. Hmmm... impressive... despite their heretical attitudes, Boland's new friends are undeniably skilled... They may last longer in here than I would have expected... The Lady works in mysterious ways.

As the cleric concludes his unspoken thoughts and no other threats materialize, he joins Boland in an attempt to help decipher the clues that might be uncovered in the mural.

Knowledge (arcana) - aid another attempt: 10 + 4 = 14; Knowledge (religion): 15 + 7 = 22.


Dimensions of the room you are in, or the one depicted on the mural?

It’s difficult to determine how big the room in the fresco is, but it looks quite large. The chamber you are in is about 40 feet wide (north to south) and something like 120 feet long (east to west), assuming that it is fairly symmetrical and the collapsed east wing is similar in proportion to the west wing.

The two torch bearers, Brash and Bowls, move over to the western part of the large chamber, leaving the eastern portion of the hall in shadowy darkness.

Whilst Brashen takes out parchment and ink and begins sketching, he and Andolphas quietly discuss the arcane and religious significance – if any – of the mural.

There are seven passages, and seven lanterns. Seven is a significant number in several magical traditions, superstitions (seven as a lucky number; the seventh son of a seventh son having magical talent), and religions (seven virtues and seven sins, seven heavens).

The lanterns (which are depicted as lit) are in the colours of the rainbow. Rainbows also have significance in certain magical and religious traditions. There is a subschool of evocations magic (prismatic magic) that uses the seven colours of the rainbow as a basis. Several religions see rainbows as a depiction of hope or covenant, or literally as a bridge between the material world and the realms of the gods. Rainbows are also sometimes associated with the Elemental Plane of Air.

Whether or not any of this is significant in this context…

Taking 20 on a search check will take a while – say twenty minutes for the area around the dais and the murals. Let me know if you’re spending the time.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3
DM Mothman wrote:

Taking 20 on a search check will take a while – say twenty minutes for the area around the dais and the murals. Let me know if you’re spending the time.

Andolphas will take 20 on his Search check around the dais and murals. 20 + 1 = 21.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash has searched the area already to no avail, so he moves off around the perimeter of the rest of the chamber, being cautious to not get to close to the spider webs and their occupants. He'll just have a quick look around, but prehaps stop to search if something catches his eye.


While Andolphas begins a detailed search of the area around the dais and the mural, Brashen takes a quick scan of the rest of the chamber.

The northern passage is completely shrouded by spiderwebs, although the few spiders Brash can see lurking within them do not appear abnormally large or threatening. There appears to be a stairway leading downwards beyond the webs, and the source of the green glow is out of sight down this stairway.

Over at the eastern end of the chamber the way is blocked by a collapsed wall of stone, rock, earth and rubble – it appears that the ceiling has collapsed at some time in the distant past. At the base of the rubble is a gap about five feet wide and four feet high, from which the snake emerged. Crouching down and letting the light from his torch pierce the darkness beyond this hole, Brashen can see that it appears to open up into some sort of chamber beyond or within the rubble.


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:
While Andolphas begins a detailed search of the area around the dais and the mural, Brashen takes a quick scan of the rest of the chamber.

Boland assists Andolphas in his search of the area around the mural, quietly discussing with the priest what the mural might mean or represent. He becomes fairly intent on it and doesn't really notice when Brashen wanders away to explore the rest of the room.


Boland finds a place to wedge his torch, and assists Andolphas in his careful examination. Aid Another check Bowls?


Male Human Ranger / 2
Brashen Trell wrote:
Brash has searched the area already to no avail, so he moves off around the perimeter of the rest of the chamber, being cautious to not get to close to the spider webs and their occupants. He'll just have a quick look around, but prehaps stop to search if something catches his eye.

Strevlik strides across to where Brash is and kneels down beside him. He offers to assist in the search and asked what in particular to look out for? Strevlik suspects that in the rubble, they might stumble upon human remains of the snake's victims. It might be worth searching past the rubble and within the hole.

search 19


Strevlik ducks in through the gap in the rubble wall, gesturing for Brashen to either follow or pass his torch in.

The hole in the rubble wall opens out into a small chamber enclosed by fallen slabs of rock, about ten feet deep and fifteen feet wide. The air within is musty and smells of animals and refuse. Irregular piles of rubble litter the den, as do hundreds of bones and fragments from the creatures’ past meals. Most of these belong to animals, but a few are unmistakably human. Here and there amongst the bones are scraps of hide, clothing and other odds and ends.

Strevlik begins searching through the remains, and after several moments comes across two things of possible interest; an old leather backpack in the northern half of the den, half buried under a pile of humanoid bones. One of it’s straps is broken, as is the clasp, but otherwise it is mostly intact, and by its weight and bulk contains several items.

On the other side of the den, the laconic ranger discovers an intricately carved armband of unmistakable elven craftsmanship, bearing a repeating leaf motif.

Brashen (or Da’gret) did you wish to assist Strevlik’s search or conduct your own?


There are several items inside the backpack that Strevlik found, including an elaborate brass lantern with indigo glass panes. The lantern has a ring at the top, and tapers to a point at the bottom, as if it is meant to be hung from something. A small door on one side allows access to the interior of the lantern, although the oil reseviour and wick are long gone. The pack also contains a rotted length of rope, a rusted grappling hook, and two fairly fragile looking clay bottles, sealed with wax and bearing an arcane looking symbol on the seal.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash moves through the hole behind the ranger, wrinkling his noes at the stench. Brash follows Strevliks lead, and assists where he can in his search.
13+2=15


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:
Boland finds a place to wedge his torch, and assists Andolphas in his careful examination. Aid Another check Bowls?

Yes, though not much help it seems: 5 + 2 = 7


Brashen follows Strevlik into the small den, assisting him with his search. He does manage to find something that the ranger missed – hidden amongst the rubble is a marble finger – it appears to have been broken off a statue or some-such.

Meanwhile, Andolphas and Boland have thoroughly searched about half of the western portion of the chamber, and as yet have discovered nothing of note.


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:
Meanwhile, Andolphas and Boland have thoroughly searched about half of the western portion of the chamber, and as yet have discovered nothing of note.

Somewhat disappointed, Boland turns to Andolphas and says, "Well it doesn't look like we are going to find anything here, at least not using conventional methods. Let's rejoin the others for now." He grabs his torch and heads back towards the opposite end of the hall, looking curiously towards the Northern passage from which the green light emanates.

"Find anything interesting down here?" he enquires as he reaches the Eastern side of the room. "I wouldn't mind checking out the strange light from the Northern passage" he says before waiting for a proper response.


With the only visible threat down the white boar circles the room at a full run a couple of times bucking and tossing its tusks back and forth slinging blood from his snout. The teenager's adrenaline surge runs its course eventually and the racing slows to a walk punctuated by grunts, until finally Da'gret grows upward into the hulking youth who signed on last night- pale face now covered in blood that he wipes away roughly with the back of one hand. He stands over the corpse of the massive snake looking down, "Huh- So you weren't smart enough to cut your losses after all. Too much faith in your own strength my friend. You forget the cunning of your ancestors."

While the others search the snake's lair, the savage pulls a knife from his belt and plunges it into the underside of the snake dragging it down the length, then begins pulling messy handfuls of guts away from the meat of the body. The druid works quickly and efficiently sectioning out enough thick slabs of snake steak for a group meal later this evening.

Survival: 18+9 = 27


Male Human Fighter / 3

Brash shows Strevlik his find. "Doesnt look like theres anything else here. Lets go show Bowls and the priest these bottles, they may be able to work out the meaning of the symbol. Brash makes his way back out into the room, and nods at De'grat "Good fighting... and disgusting as ever." Brash crinkles his face at the blood covered figure in mock distaste, but then grins and continues towards Bowls. "Found something interesting in the snakes den. What do you make of them?"


Male Human Wizard/3
Brashen Trell wrote:
Brash shows Strevlik his find. "Doesnt look like theres anything else here. Lets go show Bowls and the priest these bottles, they may be able to work out the meaning of the symbol. Brash makes his way back out into the room, and nods at De'grat "Good fighting... and disgusting as ever." Brash crinkles his face at the blood covered figure in mock distaste, but then grins and continues towards Bowls. "Found something interesting in the snakes den. What do you make of them?"

Bowl's is caught staring open mouth at Da'gret's bisection of the snake. A look between interest and disgust is fixed on his face - he is interested in the process of gathering the meat and the clean and efficient way in which the half-orc goes about extracting it. Yet he's not a big fan of the blood, guts and gore on display.

Brashen's question finally breaks his stare and his interest quickly turns to the items presented to him. He studies the two flasks seeing if he can read the symbols on them.

Knowledge Arcana check: 17 + 6 = 23, Decipher Script check: 17 + 3 = 20


The marks on the clay bottles are alchemical symbols, indicating that the bottles contain a volatile substance often called Alchemist’s Fire.

Presuming that Boland is also shown the lantern: It does not take Boland long to realise that the dusty, indigo coloured lantern that Strevlik found closely resembles the lanterns depicted in the fresco on the other side of the room.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3
Da'gret wrote:


While the others search the snake's lair, the savage pulls a knife from his belt and plunges it into the underside of the snake dragging it down the length, then begins pulling messy handfuls of guts away from the meat of the body. The druid works quickly and efficiently sectioning out enough thick slabs of snake steak for a group meal later this evening.

Andolphas watches Da'gret's transformation and snake-slicing ritual with almost ghoulish fascination, not looking nearly as shocked as Boland. "I look forward to tasting that... and you will need to tell me of your own peoples' death rites someday..." Soon, his attention turns from the gory display to Brash and Strevlik's discoveries.


Da’gret can easily harvest enough snake meat for a hearty meal for the five men – assuming no one is squeamish about eating such a thing.

Meanwhile, Strevlik silently demonstrates his finds to the rest of the group.


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:

The marks on the clay bottles are alchemical symbols, indicating that the bottles contain a volatile substance often called Alchemist’s Fire.

Presuming that Boland is also shown the lantern: It does not take Boland long to realise that the dusty, indigo coloured lantern that Strevlik found closely resembles the lanterns depicted in the fresco on the other side of the room.

"This is one of the lanterns from the fresco!" Boland exclaims excitedly upon seeing it. "It must be very old; at the least it is likely to be quite valuable to a collector and at best it could be important for unlocking the secrets of the tomb". He is clearly excited by the discovery.

"These other flasks appear to be Alchemist's fire, a highly flamable substance. It is sometimes used as a weapon; the liquid within will deliver nasty burns when in contact with skin."

He turns towards the Northern passage "I wonder if this green light we can see over there is another one of these lamps?"


Male Human Fighter / 3
Boland 'Bowls' Karendum wrote:
DM Mothman wrote:

The marks on the clay bottles are alchemical symbols, indicating that the bottles contain a volatile substance often called Alchemist’s Fire.

Presuming that Boland is also shown the lantern: It does not take Boland long to realise that the dusty, indigo coloured lantern that Strevlik found closely resembles the lanterns depicted in the fresco on the other side of the room.

"This is one of the lanterns from the fresco!" Boland exclaims excitedly upon seeing it. "It must be very old; at the least it is likely to be quite valuable to a collector and at best it could be important for unlocking the secrets of the tomb". He is clearly excited by the discovery.

"These other flasks appear to be Alchemist's fire, a highly flamable substance. It is sometimes used as a weapon; the liquid within will deliver nasty burns when in contact with skin."

He turns towards the Northern passage "I wonder if this green light we can see over there is another one of these lamps?"

'Lets find out. Maybe you should hold on to these Bowls' Brash indiacates the clay bottles, 'They look fragile and if we get into another fight i dont want one braking over me.' That said Brash starts towards the passage, brandishing his tourch at the webs to try to burn away the worst of them as he begins down the passage towards the stairs.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas falls in line behind the torch bearers and follows them wordlessly in the direction of the chamber with the green glow.


Please sort out who’s taking what from the found items, and let me and each other know.

The sheets of cobweb (and those spiders who do not scurry away quickly enough) quickly sizzle away under the flames of Brashen’s torch, leaving the way open ahead.

Beyond the curtain of hanging webs, the corridor continues for a short distance before descending a wide stairway down about twenty feet into an immense, domed chamber.

Seven short tunnels branch from the room in all directions, extending some thirty feet before ending in rounded walls. At the terminus of each passage, a thick chain dangles from an unseen high ceiling. Five of the chains bear colourful lanterns, but two hold nothing at all. Opposite the entry stairs, a bright green lantern containing what appears to be a lit torch casts a weird, murky light about the chamber. Countless chips of glass and shiny metal inset into the chambers high domed ceiling reflect the light, giving the impression of starlight and falling snow. The dome starts about ten feet of the ground and reaches an apex about thirty feet over the centre of the room.

Below the dome’s peak, a long dais holds what appears to be a marble sarcophagus. A milky white bas-relief figure, perhaps of a human, rests passively upon the sarcophagus lid. Unlike the rest of the tomb, this room is completely silent – the whispering is gone.

For the purpose of looking around or searching this large area, we’ll break the place down into sections; the main chamber; the sarcophagus; the south-west passage; the west passage with an orange lantern at the end; the north-west passage with a yellow lantern at the end; the north passage with a glowing green lantern at the end; the north-east passage with a blue lantern at the end; the east passage; and the south-east passage with a violet lantern at the end.


Male Human Wizard/3
DM Mothman wrote:
For the purpose of looking around or searching this large area, we’ll break the place down into sections; the main chamber; the sarcophagus; the south-west passage; the west passage with an orange lantern at the end; the north-west passage with a yellow lantern at the end; the north passage with a glowing green lantern at the end; the north-east passage with a blue lantern at the end; the east passage; and the south-east passage with a violet lantern at the end.

Boland can take the vials offered him - they may help him contribute to future fights when low in spells. I'll add them to my sheet for now but if anyone else wants them let me know. He can carry the lantern as well (though looks like we may not need to carry it for long). The rope, grappling hook and backpack don't really look like they are worth taking, which leaves the armband, which looks valuable. Strevlik found it so may as well hang onto it for the time being?

Boland looks down on the room from the stairs in awe. Looking around at the lanterns hanging in the room he points to the Eastern passage and says excitedly "Look, that's where this Indigo lantern should hang!" He looks around again and then points at the South-West passage and says "Which leaves us missing just one lantern, Red, which should hang over there."

He steps down till he is almost in the room and gazes up at the beautiful glass effect on the domed cieling. "This is amazing!" he exclaims, clearly excited at the architecture of the cairn. His gaze turns to the sarcohpagus in the centre of the room. "Perhaps we should start there?" he asks the group at large.


Da'gret scans the room appreciating its grandeur for different reasons than Boland. Only a hero is worthy of such a burial... Da'gret heads straight for the sarcophagus, noting the bas relief and leans his spear against the side and strains as he tries to push it open.

Str: 3+4 = whoops. Not this time.


At the centre of the chamber is a raised platform, upon which sits a sealed sarcophagus. The lid bears a white stone relief of a tall figure cloaked in a simple, archaic looking garment of some flowing material. The figure looks human, except that if it were standing it would be about seven feet tall and is completely hairless with an androgynous caste to its features. Its arms and hands rest at its side. The left hand curls upon itself in a fist, but the right is placed palm up, with the thumb turned in and all fingers but the index finger, which is broken off, held parallel to the arm.

The figure wears a scarab-like amulet around its neck, inscribed with a large glyph comprised of a large oval with several smaller circles, crosses and straight lines.

The sarcophagus rests upon a small raised platform carved in the shape of a stylistic arrow, with the tip aligned with the head of the relief figure upon the lid and a short “shaft” extending from the foot of the sarcophagus. The “arrow” is pointing to the west.

Da’gret pushes heavily against the lid, but it does not budge – either it is heavier than it looks, or it cannot be pushed open.


Male Human Ranger / 2

Strevlik will give the flasks and lantern to Boland. He will keep the arm band.

Strevlik looks at the arrow and the sarcophagus. “Is it pointing to something?” he asks. “Perhaps its showing a path, or maybe its not fixed and can be moved.” Seeing that Da’gret is trying to remove the lid, Strevlik also wonders what is inside and goes to help his friend push. 16+3 =19


Strevlik comes up beside Da’gret, who stands at the centre of the sarcophagus, pushing at the lid, and gives a mighty heave from his position near the relief’s head. The lid still doesn’t budge even with these two strongmen pushing at it – however, with the noise of stone grinding on stone, the entire sarcophagus and the platform it rests upon begins to pivot about its centre, rotating clockwise by several degrees.

Strevlik almost stumbles from the unexpected movement, but quickly rights himself, whilst Da’gret’s spear, resting against the stone coffin, clatters to the floor. With a loud ~click~ the sarcophagus comes to rest, its head now pointing north-west, towards the passage and alcove with the yellow lantern.

A few seconds later a low rumbling sound can be heard, coming from somewhere beneath the floor. It continues for several seconds, getting louder, until suddenly a five foot wide circular area of the stone floor in the north-west alcove, directly below the hanging lantern, begins to rise into the air, pushed up from below by a smooth, shiny metal cylinder of the same diameter. The cylinder rises up until its top is eight feet above the floor (mere inches below the hanging lamp), and then stops.

There is a brief moment of silence and stillness until, with the hiss of rushing air, two narrow doors on the side of the metal cylinder slide inwards, revealing a narrow chamber within the cylinder lit by a cold white radiance that spills out onto the surrounding stone floor.


Male Human Wizard/3

Boland is still staring at the roof so that he does not immediately notice Strevlik and Da'gret move over to the sarcophagus. As they begin to push, hist attention is drawn their way and he is about to cry out in alarm, fearing some tattered mummy would reach forth from the sarcophagus.

His cry is cut off however as the scene unfolds and he is left staring open-mouthed at the cylinder at the end of the North-west passage. After a moment he closes his mouth and says "Well, it seems you may have unwittingly uncovered one of the secrets of the Cairn". His tone is dry, but underlying it his excitement and apprehension is apparent.

He ventures cautiously across the room to the mouth of the North-west passage, taking a closer look.


The north-west corridor (and the others also by the look of things) is about ten feet wide, with a ten foot high ceiling. The passage extends about thirty feet before terminating at a rounding alcove. The ceiling within the alcove appears to be higher than that of the corridor, as the chain from which the lantern hangs disappears into darkness above.

The lantern hangs at about eight to nine feet above the floor – just above the metal cylinder that currently occupies much of the alcove at the end of the corridor.

The cylinder seems to contain a small, empty chamber, about three feet in diameter, lit by a cool white light from an unseen source.


Male Human Fighter / 3
DM Mothman wrote:

The north-west corridor (and the others also by the look of things) is about ten feet wide, with a ten foot high ceiling. The passage extends about thirty feet before terminating at a rounding alcove. The ceiling within the alcove appears to be higher than that of the corridor, as the chain from which the lantern hangs disappears into darkness above.

The lantern hangs at about eight to nine feet above the floor – just above the metal cylinder that currently occupies much of the alcove at the end of the corridor.

The cylinder seems to contain a small, empty chamber, about three feet in diameter, lit by a cool white light from an unseen source.

Brash moves over to the cylinder and looks more closely at the cilinder. "So something was inside thats been looted? Or do we have to put something inside activate something? Maybe we should try to spin the crypt towards some of the others, and see what happens"


The inside of the cylinder is certainly large enough to contain something up to the size of a tall man – or a standing corpse – but it appears completely empty from Brashen’s vantage point. The stone floor and metal walls are bare. The flat white light appears to emanate from the cylinder’s featureless ceiling.


Male Human (Suloise/Oeridian) Cleric 3

Andolphas stares at the metal cylinder in unconcealed amazement and wonder. "Amariss never mentioned this," he murmurs, barely audibly. Taking a second look at the sarcophagus, he asks: "The figure carved into the lid of this sarcophagus is missing a finger... did one of you not find a marble finger in the wolf's den? Perhaps we should try re-attaching it? It may be insignificant, but who knows...???"


Male Human Fighter / 3

'Yeh i picked up a finger, though how your going to attatch it...' Brash fishes the finger out of his belt pouch and passes it to the priest. 'So looks like someone could fit in here' he says, bringing attention back to the cylinder. 'Anyone want to step in and see whats down below?'

151 to 200 of 3,519 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mothman's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.