Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Mothman's Adventures in Darkmoon Vale game

Game Master Mothman

Adventures in Darkmoon Vale


1,651 to 1,700 of 1,821 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>

The adventurers continue south. Shrubs become trees and rugged hills become more gentle slopes as they re-enter Darkmoon Wood. Sporadic howls continue to be heard, but they don’t appear to be coming any closer. After a time they are heard no more, replaced by the rustling of leaves and the calls of unseen birds.

Some hours later the light filtering in through the heavy forest canopy begins to fade, the grey twilight before sunset deepening the shadows and making footing uncertain.


Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

It took us three days to travel out didn't it? Pushing on through the night isn't likely to get us all the way back?

"We should stop and sleep. We'll make better time tomorrow if we are rested."


You should be returning via a more direct route, but yeah, you're not very likely to make it back by morning even with a forced march.


Are you looking for any particular features in a campsite? And/or taking any special actions or precautions in setting up camp?


Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

Usual drill: Look for somewhere a bit raised and clear, but close to a water source. Source firewood etc and then settle in to a watch pattern until morning.


Male Human Fighter / 1

Adalwin nods tiredly at Anors suggestion, wincing in pain as the bite wound stretches in an uncomfortable way. He starts looking around for a suitable campsite, ready for some sleep.

Not sure if any rolls will assist, perception +5 and knowledge geography +6 if they would help


Make some perception and/or survival checks to find a suitable camp site.


Male Human Fighter / 1

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 1 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 5, +2 vs fear; hp 6/6; init +2; perc +9, +11 w/ familiar, +14 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

Jasper seems to be enjoying some time among the giant trees. He scampers and ShadowWing flits from one side of the trail to the other, keeping a watch out for anything interesting.

Survival for campsite: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Perception among the shadows: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31

He stops, peering into the underbrush, "Oh, what is that?"


Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Jasper and Anor hear the sound of running water from somewhere nearby, and soon find a small stream bubbling over some rocks, flowing south. Some brief searching around reveals a raised, relatively clear area nearby.

Same watch order as previous?


Male Human Fighter / 1

Works for me


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 1 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 5, +2 vs fear; hp 6/6; init +2; perc +9, +11 w/ familiar, +14 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

Aye


Yup.


GM stuff:

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


The adventurers make camp; tents are pitched, bed rolls laid down, water and firewood fetched, a latrine hole dug. Attempts are made to treat and bind wounds, although with the healers having expended all there suitable spells, more serious treatment may need to wait.

Once the camp is set and a meal has been taken, (keep track of rations, especially as you left some with the wolves!) Anor and Eljoy prepare to take first watch. The others have not long been abed when the sound of wolves howling pierces the night. The howls sound distant … though not so distant as the ruined fort by the foot of Droskar’s Crag …

Any actions before settling in for the night or upon hearing the howls?


Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

Not if they are distant.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


Reekis is still sulking after leaving the treasure behind, but it doesn't prevent him falling asleep very swiftly and snoring.


The howls continue sporadically for the next several hours; seeming to originate from different locations, but always at a distance. Eventually they stop, and the rest of the night passes peacefully enough – except, perhaps in dreams.

The next morning dawns cold and overcast.

Everyone gains back 1 hit point from a night’s rest if they were wounded. If you had ability damage (other than from an as-yet un-cured disease), you also restore a point of each damaged ability. Reekis must make a DC 16 Fort save to avoid taking 1d2 ⇒ 2 points of Constitution damage. He can get a +4 bonus to the save if Oliver makes a successful heal check to treat him. If he makes the save he is cured.

Travelling on? Direction, route?


Male Human Fighter / 1

Adalwin wakes for the final watch a little fresher, though still moves stiffly where his various bite wounds cause him discomfort. He rouses the others as dawn arrives, and starts the process of packing up the camp while they ready themselves for the day.

"Are we continuing straight on today?"

Adalwin will go along with whatever the others decide. He is on 6/12 HP and still down 3 points of strength.

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Andoran); Percept +0, Sense Motive +0; Init +1 ; AC 20 T 13 FF 17; F 5, R 1, W 0; HP 14/14

"As fast as we reasonably can. The wolves might hit us yet," Eljoy replies.

survival for shortest route back, probably aiding Anor: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Male Half-elf Oracle 1 (AC: 16 [T: 13 /FF: 13]; HP: 10/10 [1 Con dmg]; F+3, R+3, W+4 (+3 more with Taint); Init: -1; Perc: +7 [Low-light vision])

Real quick, heal check to help Reekis 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9, and I fail. Sorry Reekis, no bonus to overcome your save.


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 1 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 5, +2 vs fear; hp 6/6; init +2; perc +9, +11 w/ familiar, +14 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

Survival aid, seeking most direct route: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Or maybe I have a really good idea of where we are...


1d20 ⇒ 4

Reekis spends most of the morning coughing.


Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

"Yes, we should be able to get back to day if we make a push for it."

If anyone needs more healing Anor can cast CLW now.


Jasper, you have noticed that during yesterday afternoon’s travel you have been travelling very gradually but perceptibly downhill; you would suppose that by now the river that flows through the middle of Darkmoon Wood must not be far away. Chances are you will reach it soon if you but continue due south, though if you want to avoid any possibility of getting lost, following the stream you camped beside will almost certainly also get you to the river … of course, once you get there, the challenge may be how to cross …


Male Human Fighter / 1
Anor wrote:


If anyone needs more healing Anor can cast CLW now.

Adalwin could use some - he is 6/12


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 1 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 5, +2 vs fear; hp 6/6; init +2; perc +9, +11 w/ familiar, +14 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

"We should be near the river soon - and the stream should take us directly to it - but how will we cross when we get there?"


Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Better you are healed up *before* we get into a fight ;)


Male Human Fighter / 1

Adalwin nods his thanks to Anor, and me moves much more less stiffly as the wounds almost fully close. "I am in your debt."


Male Half-elf Oracle 1 (AC: 16 [T: 13 /FF: 13]; HP: 10/10 [1 Con dmg]; F+3, R+3, W+4 (+3 more with Taint); Init: -1; Perc: +7 [Low-light vision])

Sorry about that, I have spells back in case anyone else still needs healing.

Oliver looks to Reekis with a bit of a scolding 'I told you so' look on his face. "It's a good thing we are making haste back to the town, if you continue on with this illness, it could be dire. Then where would your gold get you?"


"A nice funeral," gasps Reekis.


The stream is narrow and twisting, and is soon flowing down through a narrow but increasingly deep crevice. After only an hour or so of following the stream in a generally southerly direction, the adventurers suddenly emerge out from under the heavy canopy onto a strip of mostly flat land strewn with weeds, ferns, small bushes and a few saplings. A few yards away, this strip of land abruptly ends as a high bank besides a wide river. This must be the Darkmoon River.

At this point, the river is about fifty feet wide. It flows quite swiftly, from east to west. The raised, somewhat clear bank extends in both directions, although the greater extent of it is lost to sight around bends in the river. The far bank is lower, only just above the water level, and the forest extends right up to it, with several willows overhanging the water.


Reekis looks at the water dubiously. "I can't swim."

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Andoran); Percept +0, Sense Motive +0; Init +1 ; AC 20 T 13 FF 17; F 5, R 1, W 0; HP 14/14

Eljoy spits. "It's just a score of paces wide. Probably not too deep. We can string a rope across."

ELjoy's got a swim modifier of 4 with armor, 8 without. And 50' of rope. He could cross first and tie off the rope for the others to use to get across.


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 1 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 5, +2 vs fear; hp 6/6; init +2; perc +9, +11 w/ familiar, +14 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

Jasper observes, "It doesn't have to flow deep to be dangerous when it moves that fast."

He works his way in both directions along the bank, never getting out of sight of the party. He seeks a narrower channel or a wide slow spot to allow for an easy crossing.

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Andoran); Percept +0, Sense Motive +0; Init +1 ; AC 20 T 13 FF 17; F 5, R 1, W 0; HP 14/14

Image of Jasper splitting in two to go up and down stream. :-)

Eljoy snorts. "Should be safe enough with a rope. At least it's an easy climb out on the other side."

He shrugs, drops his pack and reaches for the clasps of his armor. "Someone give me a hand. Does anyone have more rope? I'm not sure mine will make it down the bank and all the way across."


Male Human Fighter / 1

Adalwin searches through his pack for his own rope, passing Eljoy another 50ft length.

"If we tie the rope on this side we won't be able to retrieve it. Maybe Oliver and I could anchor this side, and can pull you back in if the current proves too strong. I only dog paddle, but you guys should be able to pull me over last."


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 1 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 5, +2 vs fear; hp 6/6; init +2; perc +9, +11 w/ familiar, +14 sight-based in shadows w/ familar
Eljoy Skinner wrote:
Image of Jasper splitting in two to go up and down stream. :-)

Well of course! It's most efficient that way - how were you going to do it? :D

Quietly while they watch, "I will need help. I don't know how to swim." And the little fellow's spindly little arms don't encourage much faith that his dog paddle will get him across anytime today, either.

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Andoran); Percept +0, Sense Motive +0; Init +1 ; AC 20 T 13 FF 17; F 5, R 1, W 0; HP 14/14

I'm forgetting the mule. The rope won't help the mule much. Let Eljoy try and we'll see if we can get an idea of the difficulty of crossing. If it's too hard we'll look elsewhere.

If Jasper's exploration turns up no better looking ford:

Stripped of his armor, Eljoy ties the two rope lengths together. He slings his shield and ax to his back. Then he descends the bank and walks upstream as far as the rope will allow. He ties the rope around his waist and begins wading into the stream as far as he can before swimming across.

Swim: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11 Errr, take 10 if possible?


Female Human Witch 1 AC 13 HP 8

"My swimming isn't the best either, perhaps we should follow downstream until we come to a safer crossing?"


Jasper heads first one way along the cleared bank then the other – to the nearest bend in either case, but not far around them, so as not to get out of sight of his companions.

Perception checks please Jasper – lighting is good given the lack of tree canopy here.


Eljoy Skinner wrote:

I'm forgetting the mule. The rope won't help the mule much. Let Eljoy try and we'll see if we can get an idea of the difficulty of crossing. If it's too hard we'll look elsewhere.

If Jasper's exploration turns up no better looking ford:

Stripped of his armor, Eljoy ties the two rope lengths together. He slings his shield and ax to his back. Then he descends the bank and walks upstream as far as the rope will allow. He ties the rope around his waist and begins wading into the stream as far as he can before swimming across.

[dice= Swim]1d20+8 Errr, take 10 if possible?

You could Take 10; a result of 10 is probably enough here as the water is fairly calm; are you waiting for Jasper to report before actually taking the plunge?


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 1 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 5, +2 vs fear; hp 6/6; init +2; perc +9, +11 w/ familiar, +14 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

Perception with ShadowWing, no shadows: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27

Perception with ShadowWing, no shadows: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

Headed toward the lake first (the better roll), but is rushed as he goes downstream because he realizes he is holding things up.

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Andoran); Percept +0, Sense Motive +0; Init +1 ; AC 20 T 13 FF 17; F 5, R 1, W 0; HP 14/14

I'll just get ready, but wait before diving in.


Jasper doesn’t see any better crossing point as he hurries first up-, then downstream – the river seems to be of a fairly regular width, at least as far as Jasper can see without going out of sight of the others.

He does however notice two things of interest; the first is that there appear to be the remains of some old, crumbling cobblestones amongst the undergrowth along this bank, as though this was an ancient road at one time. The second, and perhaps more important thing he notices are the several dark, sinuous, snake or eel like forms darting about beneath the surface of the water of the river …


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 1 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 5, +2 vs fear; hp 6/6; init +2; perc +9, +11 w/ familiar, +14 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

Jasper hustles back to the rest of the party with his findings. "It seems very consistent as far as I can see. I don't know how deep it is, but the surface looks the same. I found some old rocks over there, placed together like they were part of some old road. They are breaking down and we don't know where they go, but it might be a ford."

Eyeing Eljoy's preparations, he adds, "More importantly, there appears to be something swimming just below the surface. Looks like snakes - could they be dangerous?"

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Andoran); Percept +0, Sense Motive +0; Init +1 ; AC 20 T 13 FF 17; F 5, R 1, W 0; HP 14/14

Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?

Know(nature) what's it? : 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

"I didn't see anything, but ..." Eljoy sniffs, long and hard.

"WHy don't you show us this road?"


The remains of the 'road' seem to stretch both upstream and downstream (east and west) from your current location, on this northern bank of the river.


halfling tattooed sorcerer (orc) 1 |AC 13, FF 13, T 11, CMD 9; F 1 R 3 W 5, +2 vs fear; hp 6/6; init +2; perc +9, +11 w/ familiar, +14 sight-based in shadows w/ familar

If one direction led to the monastery (the only structure we know out here that might have necessitated a road), which direction would that be? Upstream or down?

1,651 to 1,700 of 1,821 << first < prev | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Adventures in Darkmoon Vale Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.