Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" (Inactive)

Game Master Chris Mortika

This is a PFS-legal campaign for Scenario #39, "Citadel of Flame".


351 to 400 of 707 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Creature's Save: 1d20 ⇒ 19. It smiles at Hadassah. I think I recognize that power.

Incidentally, Hadassah, you're in B2. "A3" would be outside the tunnel between the buildings. Again, it's a long ways down.

A voice echoes in Moulini's head.

Spoiler:
Help me take these mortals down, and I will assist you in the ritual.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"Better hit him fast and hard, that hex won't last long..."
even with save, still under the effect for one round


Gryne Skystone wrote:

Addressing the bird-boy:

Greetings, whom are we speaking to?

Greetings in kind, mortal. In the tongues of my people, I am known as

If your PC speaks Infernal:
Psittacolin, or "the Fevered Host"

But the faithful of Moloch call me the Porter. And you? When the next clutch of mortals come upon me, and when they ask whose entrails I have strung along the walls, by what name shall I call you?

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

Do I have a clear shot?

A. Yes, I take a shot at bird head
B. No, I get into a good position to take a shot, and keep an eye on the minions.


James moves up to C2 and fires.
James attacks: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21; a hit for 1d8 ⇒ 8 points of damage.

As soon as the bullet riccochets off the creature's chest, the wound closes up. Its hide is a little discolored still, perhaps a bruise, but only a fraction of the damage -- at best -- got through.

Minions?

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Are all the creature's words in individual PCs heads or was that last one to all of us?


If it projects its thoughts into one individual's mind, that'll be in a spoiler, Maximo.

Lantern Lodge

Stand down! Moulini states taking out her Rapier sitting the bag with the idol down i must take the... uh Rituals

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Gryne will take a step to get a clear shot with his long bow.

Porter, you may call me Gryne Skystone, submit to us or be condemned to death.

Gryne attacks with his longbow.

Moulini, are you alright? You seem confused, the bad guy is over there *Pointing at Porter.*


Hadassah's knowledge: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24
Gryne's knowledge: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Hadassah:
You recognize this as a Host Devil. Other than the standard traits of devils, you know that all Host Devils in a wide radius share senses continually. You've also heard that they have some sort of nauseating / debilitating stench, or possibly a breath attack.

Gryne, your attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 goes wide. Did you want to use the one "shirt re-roll"?

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

Shel pulls out her sling, then grabs a stone, preparing to fire it at the creature the next round.

Osirion

If possible then Azatoth will move forward to confront and attack the birdman in melee to make it harder for him to utilize ranged attacks or magic. If he cannot reach the man and do an attack he will still make a run to the birdman to cover the group.

"Azatoth roars while he prepares to face the birdman"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44
GM Chris Mortika wrote:

Hadassah's [dice=knowledge]1d20+9

Gryne's [dice=knowledge]1d20+4

** spoiler omitted **

Gryne, your [dice=attack]1d20+3 goes wide. Did you want to use the one "shirt re-roll"?

Sure thing.

I also would still like to do the Stonecunning check for the sculptures/reliefs and the red stone.


Gryne, you step into B1 and your attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 still goes wide.

sigh

Round 1
Hadassah -- moves up, casts Evil Eye
Moulini -- still out in the main room, draws her rapier, calls out
Shel -- still out in the draws and loads her sling
Gryne -- moves up, shoots, misses
James -- moves up, shoots, hits

The creature beats its wings twice, and glides over the gaping hole in the floor. It floats up to D1, diagonal from James, and sends some telepathic message inexpressible in words, but filled with hate and anticipation.
Attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22 -- it strikes, for 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 points of damage.
At the same time, it attempts to grapple James' wrist with one of its talons: CMB: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7, but is unable to gain purchase.

Azatoth moves from A2 to C1 and attacks the monster. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7: His scimitar has a cleam shot for the creature's neck, but it manages to interpose the shaft of its spear. Even with Hadassah's curse, the creature manages to block Azatoth's blow.

Maximo, you're up. Did you still want to cast detect evil, or are you willling to go with a natural assumption?

After Maximo, then it's Hadassah, Shel, Moulini, James, and Gryne's turns.

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

"That was a clean shot, and it hardly phased him" Let's try the super bullets

James takes a step towards safety, and reloads his pistol with an adamantine bullet

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

I was hoping to keep it talking long enough to slip in the detect evil before combat. But, now that we've jumped the gun, literally, let's just go with the assumption.

I am Maximo Interresante, blessed knight of Shelyn! Maximo thunders. If you can still speak telepathically without a head, then your remains can tell the next mortal, immortal, or bad smell that passes by, who it was that brought you low!

Dropping shield and mace, then slowly drawing his antique greatsword as he closes to melee, he kisses the hilt and calls upon Shelyn's divine power to help him smite the creature, then attacks with all his might.

Smite and Power Attack

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

As Maximo closes with the strange demon, Hadassah again glares at the foul beast. "I cannot believe that you resisted once, shall we try again?" Focusing her ill will again, Hadassah attempts to lower the demon's combat effectiveness. Evil Eye (DC 15).
-2 to attack rolls

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

Shel fires her sling stone at the creature. That thing's going to come to us after all, she thinks, and drops her sling.

She pulls her dagger, hoping to set up a flank with one of her mates in the next round.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

i shall make an effert to move in to get closer but not as to be near anyone... and once again state to the creaturei really would like you help


Maximo, the creature is in D1. Your best bet for getting next to it is to move from A1 to B2 (moving through Hadassah), to C2 (moving through James) to D2, and attacking from there. That would allow it an attack of opportunity against you as you move from C2 to D2. On the other hand, if you have smite evil up, your AC may be good enough that it wouldn't be able to hit you.

You have enough movement to continue moving to E1 if you wanted to do so. That would set up a flank with Azatoth. The obvious danger there is that the monster might try to bul rush you 5 feet and send you falling out the crevase in the floor.

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

I will accept the AoO if it's the only way to get to melee. However, I thought James was trying to step away? If possible, I'll try to get both James and Hadassah to shuffle back, then I should be able to take James' spot. If that means I go later in the round that's ok, since I'll still go before chicken-boy.

Make way, make way! Maximo bellows, trying to wade forward through his companions. It must be happy hour at the Happy Harpy. Hadassah! James! Withdraw so that I may sally forth!

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Following Maximo's order, Hadassah retreats to give Maximo room to maneuver.

If possible, I will maintain line of sight to the demon, otherwise, she retreats as soon as she completes her curse. The link you sent to the demon does not show any information on the demon, it just shows me the cover of the AP.


Sure thing. Excellent.

Maximo waits for an opening.

Round 2

Hadassah feels the universe sigh as the first Evil Eye releases, and she casts another. The monster attempts to resist: 1d20 ⇒ 3, but gets ensnared in her powers. She then steps back to A2, right next to the door into the very warm building.

James steps back to B2 and loads his pistol with adamantine bullets.

Maximo moves up to C2 and strikes.
Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26; possible critical.
confirm?: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12; no.
Damage: 2d6 + 5 ⇒ (1, 5) + 5 = 11 points of damage.

The blade sinks into the monster's shoulder, almost severing its head.

So! The pure ones have sent a minion. Very well. Let your death serve as a warning to the dogs of Sarenrae, that illegal trespass here shall be answered. As will your sword blow.

Moulini moves into the room, at A1, pleading with the creature. She hears a voice in the back of her mind, like honey-covered rage and hate.

Moulini:
I see that these raiders have taken you as one of them. It would be easy for you to continue the charade, petitioner, and stay in the corner, apart from the fight. But Moloch does not need mewling cowards in his forces. Here is where you must make a choice. Foul the armored one's weapon, or wrest it from his grasp. Make it seem like an accident, if you would keep your cover a little longer. I shall take the others. Do this, and I will spare the life of one of these, so that she might spread the word of Moloch's return.

Shel fires a sling stone through the door, trying to strike the creature.
Attack: 1d20 + 4 - 8 ⇒ (5) + 4 - 8 = 1 -- a long shot, and it missed.

Gryne, you stop momentarily to look at the fantastic stonework in the corridor.
Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24; it looks like it was carved from a single piece of stone, hollowed out and sculpted like an inside-out statue. The gigantic, hideous faces along the walls serve as windows, with openings in their eyes and mouths allowing the desert air to pass through. And that's probably what caused all the damage here. Unlike the building that you've been in, which has been buried under the Qadiran desert for centuries, this bridge has allowed sand to pass through.

Gryne and Azatoth, you're up.

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

I think my damage bonus is off a little. Should be +3 from strength while 2-handed, +3 for power attack while 2-handed, +1 for smite (or +2 on the first attack if the thing is an evil outsider).

Qadira RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

You're right. I was going off your character sheet without noticing that you hadn't aded in Power Attack. Maximo struck for 14 points of damage.

Qadira RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

And I'll be at Nuke-Con in Omaha this weekend. My attention -- and connection -- will be spotty until Sunday night.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

WooHoo, stonecunning!

Gryne will fire another arrow in hopes he can muster enough strength to reach it's target. (Longbow of +2 strength)

Osirion

Azatoth will try to attack the target again in hope to take him out of action.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

i shall move in flanking position with Maxion rapier out while thinking i'm here to help you, the Stating out loud... drop the weapon or ill be force to attack!


Azatoth attack, and, seeing that Gryne is planning to fire, steps out of his way.
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20; a hit!
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 points. As with James' bullet, it looks like something about the creature is turning a good blow into nothing more than a small cut.
Azatoth then steps from C1 to D2, between Maximo and the chasm, opening a line of fire for Gryne.

Gryne fires a second arrow, just as he gets a clear shot at the monster.
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22, -4 for firing into melee, a hit!
Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8, a shot straight into the monster's chest. It swings its head towards you for a moment and puls the arrow out. Immediately, the wound closes, leaving only a minor cut.

The monster swivels its head to Azatoth. Sink to your knees, beast, at the stentch of Hell. It breathes deeply and blows a cloud of orange gas at Azatoth.
Fort: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 -- Azatoth is sickened, his eyes losing focus and his knees bucking momentarily.

Its gaze then returns to James. You seek to flee, mortal, to save your wretched blink of life? It is hopeless. I shall pursue you till you tire and fall. And if I fail, all the Gaav know to pursue you. You are hunted. You shall never know rest while you draw breath.

It moves to E2, directly east of Azatoth. It's hovering above the gap in the floor, as if it's daring anybody to approach.

Moulini, it moved to E2, so it's no longer next to Maximo. You could move to F2, if you wanted to flank it with Azatoth. That would involve dodging its attack of opportunity as you moved around it, and also jumping the rift in the floor of the tunnel, so there's some risk involved, but it's possible. Is that what you want to do?


While we wait for Moulini, anybody else can take their turn.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

Seeing the normal weapons having no effect, Shel yells at the others, "Who has those magic arrows from outside? Try those against it. We aren't doing anything to it with our normal weapons!"

Shel assumes a defensive position, knowing she wouldn't be able to scratch its defenses.

Shel will go total defense, DM.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

This is quite fascinating.

How about a Knowledge Arcana(+4) check on this sucker.

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

I take another shot with the adamantine bullet "To the nine hells with the Gaav"


Gryne, it would be Knowledge (planes), and I'm afraid I already checked for you.

Round 3
James extends his arm calmly and looks for a shot between Maximo and Azatoth.
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9 - 8 = 1. The bullet hits the ceiling, creating a cloud of red fragments.

James looks at the hole his bullet left, and clearly seees the eastern sky, dimming to twilight.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

My bad, you did.

Gryne ready's a +! holy arrow and takes a deep breath to steady himself before letting it fly.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah moves as if to draw her crossbow, then hesitates, realizing that if the mysterious pistol is unable to damage the odd creature, her crossbow has little to now chance. Instead she holds her action, waiting for a more opportune moment to act.


At Shel's urging, Gryne loads one of the arrows found on the bodies of the Sarenrae cultists outside the temple. As he draws the string, he can feel, just for an instant, one of the ancient dead alongside him, pulling the arrow back with him. He aims, relaxes, and lets the arrow fly.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16 - 4 for firing into melee = 12.

The arrow strikes the floor, just at the crevasse, and ricochets up below the creature's feet. Even though you missed, the monster looks at you, its posture betraying some of its alarm.

Hadassah, let me know when you want to act.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

DM.

Spoiler:
DM, is the magic arrow destroyed? If not, is it still at the edge of the crevasse or did it fall down it?

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

uh oh


Shel

Spoiler:
There's a 50% chance that ammunition that misses is destroyed or otherwise broken, and that applies to magical ammunition as well. The arrow is on the other side of the room, near the giant brass face. It's not lost, but someone will need to examine it to judge wether it's taken enough damage to render it unusable
.

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Stand, fiend, and face your end with courage! Maximo challenges the creature, pursuing and attacking.

Power attack as before


Maximo steps up to D1, with a warcry on his lips and three feet of good Taldan steel in his hands.
Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14; the swing goes wide.

MY end? Now you are making merry, minion. I shall never know either death nor peace. You have neither the means to end me, nor the skill to even inconvenience me.

But you HAVE earned my enmity, speck. When I am finished with the flame-haired mortal there, you shall be my second kill.

Still waiting to hear from Mourini (did you want to flank?) and Azatoth (you're sickened, but you can still act).

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

if thats where the thing wants me to go...

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

@GM:
If Gaav attacks and hits a party member, causing them to lose 50% or more of their health, my action is to move and cast Cure Light Wounds on the injured party member, avoiding all Attacks of Opportunity.

If this does not happen, I will hold action until after all companions have acted, then hex Gaav's Saves.

I will enlighten my companions as to the weaknesses and strengths of Gaav as I understand them, but I cannot follow the link in your post.

Sorry for the very OOC nature of this, but I may not be available once Moulini posts, and I don't want the entire combat stopped while you wait for me to take my action. Any major "WTF?!?" moments may change my plan if they occur before I act. If such a moment occurs and I do not reply promptly, feel free to assume Hadassah is temporarily wrapped up in combat and failed to notice the event.


Hadassah notes: "The 'Porter' here is a Gaav, one of the minor devils. (So, like all devils, it's immune to fire and poison.) Acid attacks and cold attacks don't work well, either, and we'll need good aligned weapons to do it real damage. I don't think this kind of devil heals quickly, however.

"The Gaav come in large packs, and whatever this one sees or hears, all the others within a couple days' travel will also know. They've got some magic powers, but that's mostly designed to fool people. Illusions, phantom sounds, that sort of stuff. And they have really bad breath."

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

"Can someone please assist me? I hate bleeding this much." James states while attempting to reload his last adamantine bullet.


Hadassah turns toward James and speaks: "The flame of life burns hot and bright, to strengthen people through the night. The holy fire brings you weal; it asks your body now to heal." And with that, James gains 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 hit points, healing completely.

I'm presuming here: Azatoth shakes his head, trying to clear his vision, and strikes out at the Porter.
Attack: 1d20 + 5 - 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 - 2 = 19, a hit!
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4, that skims off the devil's hide, causing no noticable damage.

Mourini moves to C2, threatening Maximo with her rapier. "Drop your weapon, Maximo. I need the Porter, alive, and I'll strike down anyone who tries to kill him."

The Porter laughs at this, but chooses to glide back to F2, and cast a spell. He vanishes from sight...

Shel:
... to appear 10' south of Shel.

Position check. Shel is in the hot room, behind the throne in the shape of a hand of flame. She hasn't yet gone through the door she opened.
Hadassah is right next to Shel, just on the other side of the door, in A2.
Gryne is in B1. James is in B2.
Molini has just moved to C2.
Maximo is in D1. Azatoth is in D2.

It's the party's turn.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah glares at Moulini "We have a job to do, and killing our comrades is not part of that job." Evil Eye, Saves

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Giving Moulini a double-take, Maximo calls over his shoulder. I apologize, my lady, but if there is one talent I lack, it is bargaining with hellish creatures dedicated to evil devil-gods! I will assume some foul magic has caused you to level your blade at me, and so will not take offense. However, since I can't have you poking at my backside. Eying Gryne and James, he suggests in a commanding voice. You two! Would you do me the favor of escorting the lady Moulini into a fifty foot rope while I finish my business with the Porter?

Turning back to the devil, he nearly curses in front of the ladies before catching himself. By Shelyn's massive t... err.. hrmmph. Stand and fight, creature!

Press the attack if possible. Same as before.

351 to 400 of 707 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.