Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" (Inactive)

Game Master Chris Mortika

This is a PFS-legal campaign for Scenario #39, "Citadel of Flame".


301 to 350 of 707 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

I am following Shel's lead, if she walks through, I follow. If she waits, I wait.

Sovereign Court

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Once we have explored this place, we can spend some time getting to know our new friend here. Maximo says, helping to secure the dangerous man to the throne. I am sure he cannot wait to meet me. Then, waiting for Shel's word, he offers to open the door and lead the way.

Onward!

Scarab Sages

Azatoth moves to Moulini guarding her sides while she is searching for traps and then follows her.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

i'll open the door...


Maximo, Shel and Hadassah are waiting at the small door to the east, behind the throne. Moulini wants to first examine at least one of the doors to the west.

Moulini opens the concealed door, revealing the richly decorated room you saw through the 5-inch by 4-inch door. It is 20 feet east-west, 10 feet north-south. The floor covered by a maze-like geometric pattern of scarlet flames. There are viewports south into the room which used to hold the idol, and north. Presumably the north viewing slot looks into the room with the open door.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

ok ill exxamine the floor then ill take a look though the veiw ports to see if there any thing going on in the other rooms or if there anything interresting in them that we havent seen

Sovereign Court

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

James keeps a lookout as the rest of the group decides which door/s to enter.


Mourini, the pattern on the floor looks familiar to you, but it takes you a moment to place it ... then you realize that the major lines between the tiles are intended to show pathways. You recognize a major switchback- zigzag pattern as corresponding to one you climbed to get here, and you extrapolate that the entire floor shows the structure of the passes in these mountains.

The viewport to the south does not reveal anything interesting.

The viewport to the north looks into a room you haven't seen before. he walls of this room are lined with weapons: crossed halberds, spears, and longswords, all decorated with flame motifs.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

hey guys there's something pretty cool on the floor in here... sota like a map... and next door there be weapons

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah will study the floor, and use her paper and chalk to sketch, roughly, the plans needed to enable her to sculpt the map again once she is home.

@GM:
I do not have a craft skill in drawing, but I am assuming I have a modest talent for drawing sculpting plans.. Also, I will take a moment to investigate and see if the floor depicts any form of battle. (Casting Detect Magic as I study it).


Hadassah, your detect magic reveals a second layer of the map, showing a series of "weak spots" between the Qadiran mountains and the elemental plane of fire. (Indeed, that might explain why the cult of Moloch chose this area.)

Consider your map drawn.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

I also will take 20 to rough out a map to go with the tapestry map I did earlier, including the detect magic routes as well.
Good find Moulini, this information could prove useful.

Sovereign Court

Ranger 2, Rogue 4 | HP 45/45 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+14, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +12/+14 | Evasion | Trap Sense +1 | Uncanny Dodge

Shel leaves the keys in the door as it is still unopened and joins the rest of the group in the map room.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Upon completion of her map, Hadassah will head back to the room unlocked by the small key. Ensuring the door unlocked, she removes the key(s?) and places them in her belt pouch "These may unlock more that this door, best hold on to them."

Sovereign Court

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Scratching his head with his hammer, Maximo follows the others into the room. It is difficult to lead a charge when the army turns about face. He examines the area as well, trying to understand the purpose of the place and designs.

Upon hearing about the weapons in the next room, he brightens up. I admit it! Camels, maps, and rainbows are not among my strongest talents. Weapons on the other hand, are part of every knight's training.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"Let us check this secreted, locked room before we venture on to the weapons though?" asks Hadassah, gesturing to the small unlocked door near the throne. "It will eliminate some small need of backtracking."

Sovereign Court

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

"Like I said earlier, if it warrants being locked, they must be hiding something"

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

"Really? logic would dictate that the weapons room would be consider back tracking and going forward though the locked door is going forward" Moulini Stated checking the weapons room door for traps...


Sure. Let's keep things straight.

Shel checks the small door to the east, behind the throne, for traps. She uses the bald man's keys to unlock the door. She stands ready to open it, when other people take some actions.

* Hadassah and Gryne spend a minute or so tying the unconscious cultist to the throne.

* Moulini moves to the west, uncovers the concealed door, checks it for traps, opens it, and explores the 10-by-20 room that Shel is calling "the map room". She reports that the unexplored room north of the Map Room, and west of the room with the throne, contains weapons.

* Hadassah moves over and sketches the Map Room floor. Shortly, Gryne joins her and works more carefully, taking about 10 minutes to carefully duplicate the information about weak spots in the veil between the material world and the elemental plane of fire.

Gryne:
You could have made your wax imprint of the key while Moulini and Hadassah were attracting attention to the Map Room.

*During the time Gryne is sketching the floor of the Map Room, a discussion breaks out. Hadassah recommends seeing what's behind the small door to the east, with support from James. Moulini wants to look into the Armory, with some enthusiasm from Maximo.

Hadassah, when you return to the small door, the key is in the locked position. Someone, or something, has re-locked the door. If you remove the key now, the door will be in the same state as when you found it. Do you want to leave it locked, leave the key where it is, or unlock it again and then take the key?

Incidentally, the door from the Throne Room to the Armory is open. Moulini can check the area around it for traps, but the door itself is ajar.

Sovereign Court

Ranger 2, Rogue 4 | HP 45/45 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+14, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +12/+14 | Evasion | Trap Sense +1 | Uncanny Dodge

This group is like trying to herd cats Shel thinks as she watches everyone heading in a different direction from the map room.


I invite people to the discussion thread to plan strategy, if you like.

Scarab Sages

Azatoth turns to Gryne and asks "Would you mind doing a copy for me as well since I think that could be of interest to a friend of mine"

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"Umm, Shel? Didn't you unlock this door? It seems to have locked itself again. I think I am going to mark it, and leave it for you. . ." Pulling her chalk back out of her belt pouch, Hadassah writes "Self Locking Door? -->" on the wall next to the small door with the keys still in its lock.

Hadassah leaves the key in the lock, and returns to her position between Maximo, Azatoth, and Gryne.

Sovereign Court

Ranger 2, Rogue 4 | HP 45/45 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+14, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +12/+14 | Evasion | Trap Sense +1 | Uncanny Dodge

"I did, Hadassah. Are you sure that it has been locked again? Well, that's strange. Something or someone certainly knows we are running around out here. Whomever is watching the rear of the group should be aware of the possibility of something from there. Since we are here, let's explore the open door here. James, Moulini, you want to help me search it?"


The open door does lead to a room north of the Map Room. It is 20 feet east-west, and 15 feet north-south. There is a door on the west wall of the Armory as well. Logic would indicate that it leads back to the main reception area, the room with all the pillars.

Two shields with portraits of Moloch towering over the Citadel of Flame are mounted in this room above the two doors.

Shel's Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
James' Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Moulini's Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

A plain obsidian bench sits on the floor, with a skeleton splayed across it. The skeleton’s armor is bedecked in stylized flames, and its scimitar’s hilt is shaped like an idol of Moloch. The room is lit by two torches. The viewport to the Map Room is cleverly hidden as part of an empty weapon rack along the south wall.

Sovereign Court

Ranger 2, Rogue 4 | HP 45/45 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+14, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +12/+14 | Evasion | Trap Sense +1 | Uncanny Dodge

"What an ingenious layout...I have to say I'm impressed," Shel nods, looking out the viewport.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Gryne addresses the party: I removed the key to make a copy for the Grand Lodge. We will likely come back down here and ensure our regions protection from the Cult of Moloch. I apologize for frightening everyone, but I wanted you all to know the truth. In order for us to be successful we need to trust each other. That being said I am copying all keys and maps concerning this quest. I will share them upon our return with any of you if you'd like.

Gryne steps into the room and uses Detect Magic.


Gryne:
You're more than half certain that you removed the key in the unlocked door, made a copy, and replaced it, without turning it.

Neither the skeleton nor any of the arms or shield radiate magic.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

*EDIT*
Please add this to my previous statement:

I may have not been the one to re-lock the door. I removed it yes, but I am certain I did not lock the door again. We may have someone watching us even more closely than we first imagined.

I'll be happy when we get out of here

There does not appear to be anything magical within this room

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

what items are in that room?

Sovereign Court

Ranger 2, Rogue 4 | HP 45/45 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+14, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +12/+14 | Evasion | Trap Sense +1 | Uncanny Dodge

"The only door here seems to head bck into the main room. When we are ready, I'd suggest we go back and check the door that seems capable of locking itself. Is bet we have to fight our way into there, so warriors should be prepared."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44
Moulini Tankard wrote:
what items are in that room?

This the room with 2 shields and an obsidian bench with a skeleton holding a scimitar.

I will take the scimitar and a shield if they are removable to bring back with us.

Is there anything else identifying or unique about the skeleton(would monster lore work here?)

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah casts Detect Magic and gives the room a quick scan looking for auras, paying particular attention to the skeleton and it armament.

Scarab Sages

If the scimitar appears to be of better quality then the one Azatoth have now then I would love to have that one as an upgrade

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"Nothing appears magical, perhaps we should check for other clues." Hadassah shifts her attention from the magical to the mundane.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44
Azatoth Plaguebringer wrote:
If the scimitar appears to be of better quality then the one Azatoth have now then I would love to have that one as an upgrade

Any items we come across during our campaign will be available for us to purchase via our society sheets. We technically do not keep anything we take, we have to purchase it, It prevents power gamers and all around jerks from looting everything they find.


Moulini's Appraise: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Assisted by
Hadassah's Appraise: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23; +2
Azatoth's Appraise: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22; +2

Well!
The three of you can tell that the weapons and shields in the room are newly manufactured, and not particularly high-quality. You imagine that the cult probably paid about 200 gold for the whole lot, including the fancy Moloch-themed scimitar.

Hadassah's Heal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
The skeleton appears to be some sort of humanoid, but the rest is difficult to say.

--

Shel, you check the small door behind the throne. It is indeed back in the locked position.

Shel's Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

You do not detect any traps on the lock.

Sovereign Court

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Striking a pose like a heroic statue, Maximo stands guard, scanning the room and the area for evil.

Regarding loot: Pretty sure anything found in game can be used during that game.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah keeps between the larger, more imposing figures. Whispering to Shel, she points out, "for the record, I know a spell, I didn't memorize it today though, called Mage Hand that would allow someone else to do small things like turn a key in a lock, re-locking the door. There may be another spell caster about."

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

well have to com back for those


Speaking of mage hand, Hadassah gave the mummified Hand of the Mage to Maximo. Maximo, are you wearing it?

--

Shel open the 4-foot-high door, and Maximo and Azatoth lead the way through the small passage, weapons drawn. The door opens onto a covered bridge, 10 feet wide and 40 feet across. This area is noticeably cooler than the building you've been in, with a faint breeze.

The entire structure appears to be carved from a single red stone, but the centuries-long burial in sand has levied its toll. Long cracks line the walls and ceiling, and 20 feet along the bridge a 7-foot gash splits the floor in two, through which the dark orange stone of the valley below is visible.

Just as Maximo and Azatoth cross into the room, they see a series of massive carved heads spaced every 10 feet on the walls: a pair of screaming fire elementals, a pair of humans clad in armor, and a pair of bull-headed men, each flanked by massive torches. The arch’s far end is carved into the shape of a massive leering face, with golden double doors in place of its mouth.

A figure stands just on the other side of the crack in the bridge, holding a three-tined spear. Its skin resembles yellow leather, and it is naked except for a loincloth. Its body looks like that of a 10-year-old boy, but its face -- oh gods, its face -- is like a bird's skull, with empty eye sockets and a small beak where its nose ought to be. The head is frilled with numerous bony spurs and curving horns, and a structure hangs down from the bottom of the head, looking like a massive jaw, constantly open and laughing. The figure has two pairs of bat-like wings.

Neither Azatoth nor Maximo have any reference for this creature.

It turns to you casually, and you hear a high-pitched voice in your heads. New recruits, then, for Moloch's temple?

Sovereign Court

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

Casters afoot? I hope I have enough rounds.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Gryne welcomes the breeze as a gentle embrace. His comfort is halted as the high pitched voice pierces the air.

If we are at range I will draw my bow, if we are close enough to melee I'll draw my hammer.

Addressing the bird-boy:
Greetings, to whom are we speaking to?

Ooh OooH....Stonecunning to identify the carvings, statues and overall room.


Hang on, Gryne. Rather than send all the party into the room and then have the front people notice the creature, I had Azatoth and Maximo, the first people through the door, encounter the creature before everybody else gets into the room.

We're not in Initiative Order (um, yet) or anything, but let's give the two guys in the room a chance to reply before Gryne moves into the hallway.

To clarify, the bat-winged creature is 30 feet away from the door, just on the other side of a 7-foot-wide gap in the floor. Maximo and Azatoth are right next to the doorway.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

No problem. I just posted because I post when I can. I always figured you'd create the order for the story line. I just don't want to be the one to hold us up.

Sovereign Court

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Looks can be deceiving, and just because something appears to be an evil demon-child does not necessarily mean it is. However, residing in an evil temple, and talking of Moloch like one's master, does remove a great deal of doubt. That, and normal creatures do not normally speak telepathically. Still, Shelyn's love and common courtesy dictates that one exhaust lines of diplomacy before employing arms.

Recruits, you ask? Maximo says, almost laughing at the concept. I think not. However, should you follow that vile, burning monkey-faced godling, I would gladly accept your surrender or conversion. Should we discuss it over a glass of wine like civilized beings? Or should we proceed to the smiting?

While talking, Maximo will detect evil on the creature.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"What did he just say?"
Something tells me we just hit Initiative Order ...


Agreed. Maximo, that was probably the most polite insult I've read in a long time.

Initiative:

Azatoth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Gryne: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Hadassah: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23
James: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Maximo: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Moulini: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Shel: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Opponents: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Hadassah, Moulini, Shel, Gryne, James, you are able to act.
The Opponent[s]
Azatoth, and Maximo, who are apparently taken aback by the sight of the creature.

The bridge is 10-feet wide (north-south) and 40-feet long (east west)
We can model that with a grid 8 squares wide (columns A through H) and 2 squares high (rows 1 and 2).

Maximo is in A1, Azatoth is in A2. The yellow creature is in A7. The crack in the floor indicates that A6 and B6 are a long way down. Shel is right next to the door, and she's a halfling, so moving to B1 or B2 is 10' of movement. For everybody else, moving through allies and the low door to reach squares B1 or B2 is a move action.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah moves past Maximo to square A3, and pointing an imperious finger at the yellow thing in A7 focuses her ill will, hexing the creature with -2 to its Armor Class, using Evil Eye (DC 15).

"Yep, that is what I thought you said..."

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

[b]New recruits? Yea I'm hear for the ritual... Uh Just tell me which way to go...{/b] Moulini States remembering her mission.

301 to 350 of 707 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.