Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" (Inactive)

Game Master Chris Mortika

This is a PFS-legal campaign for Scenario #39, "Citadel of Flame".


51 to 100 of 707 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Maximo--

Spellcasters can put different minor special effects into wands they create, particularly wands of cure light wounds. For example, one cleric of the battle-god Gorum may craft a wand that heals wounds but leaves battle scars for a few hours. A wand from the church of Cayden Cailean might have the recipient's next breath smell like alcohol.

Which temple did you receive your wand from (I would guess Shelyn, if I dared presume), and is there any special effect that it manifests?

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

GM:
Now that I saw my faction mission, I will also ask if there were any historians of the area in the city or town. I'd look specifically for those that could be versed in religious zeal or experts in the various religious groups or cults that may have been through this region.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

remembering the map moulini states we need to head towards a low mountain ridge south and east of the town of Dimayen

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 22/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

"I could go ask some questions about anything strange that might have happened in that mountain ridge over the last little bit, if the rest of you thing it worthwhile."

Taldor

Regarding the wand - Shelyn would be Maximo's first choice. How about it compels the healed target to sing and rhyme their next few words?

Shel, my good lady. Maximo smiles and dips a bow. That sounds like an excellent suggestion. I propose that you should begin at the taverns on the east side of town while I do likewise on the west. When we meet, I'll buy the first round.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 22/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

Shel nods at Maximo's words. "A little knowledge never hurt anyone," she smiles and excuses herself, knowing she operated better alone, and would attract much less attention.

Finding a tavern, she ducks into it, and begins asking questions about any recent happenings in the mountains they were set to investigate.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

I shall join you Shel i state fallowing Shel in the tavern, and begins asking questions about any recent happenings in the mountains they were set to investigate... specifically asking about the ankheg infestation of a few years ago and about the Citadel of Flame and the cult of Moloch... being a desecrate as i can.


Maximo, that's great. Let's say that willing recipients sing the next few words they speak after they are healed, unless they make a specific effort to avoid doing so.

--

Gryne, what you're describing -- asking the locals about monsters and such, is Gather Information. The most advantageous way for you to do that is to assist Maximo or Shel, who are better at that sort of thing. Let's say that you help direct the line of questioning.

Maximo's Gather Information 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Gryne's assist 1d20 ⇒ 12 -- You need a 10, so you do give Maximo a +2 circumstance bonus.

Sedeq has its markets and mean entertainment districts, but also a finer area for the rich and noble. Maximo sets his sights there, and his initial inquiries are rebuffed politely. "We have neither the time nor habit to speak to a Taldan, one woman hisses. Gryne, on the other hand, doesn't look much like a Taldan, and between the to of you, you find that the worship of Moloch is very much despised here.

The local priest of Sarenrae has a few minutes to spare for you. "Yes, the worship of fiends here is a constant thorn in our side. No decent community would stand for such a thing. And Moloch, you say? (She spits on the ground.) His cults are among the worst. Subtle and organized, not going off on wild slaughter sprees like the Rovagug maniacs. And he offers real gifts, at too high a damned price..

As for monsters, Ankhegs are rumored to swim under the sands of the desert out there, and angry genies are always a threat.

--

Shel's Gather Information 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Moulini's assist 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17 -- You do assist.

Along the bazaar streets of Sedeq, next to a silk merchant, Moulini is the first to find the Society contact that Hamshanks mentioned, and his first reaction is confusion. "Red slickstone? Out there? All you'll find in the eastern Meraz is sand and more sand." A closer examination reveals that the map Hamshanks supplied uses traditional Qadiran Compass rose coordinates rather than more conventional ones used throughout the Inner Sea. Your destination is rather north of Sedeq and west of the Maharay River. You won't be going close to Dimayen at all.

There, yes, the sand-covered foothills of the blasted Zho Mountains are sometimes stripped bald. An entire fortification seems unlikely; why would anyone choose such a remote location in the first place?

Amid the general marketplaces, Shel befriends a pair of Ifrits, two men with fire genii heritage. They are searching for their brother, a promising sorcerer in his own right. 'Gali came to Sedeq three months ago, but we have not heard from him since. Mother is worried."

Shel helps track down an informant for the two, and in return they tell the halfling "We have come through that area on our way into town. We saw no other travelers, but we did see, off in the distance one morning, a plume of dark smoke, like that of a forge." One Ifrit says that he saw a terrible bat-winged figure in the distance as well, carrying some sort of spear-type weapon or maybe a banner, but his brother dismisses that. "Please excuse my brother. What he lacks in wisdom, he makes up for in imagination."

Further inquiries lead you to the temple of Irori, where a small expeditionary force of priests and monks is preparing to head north into the Zho Mountains. A severe-looking older woman, dressed in the blues and blacks of Irori's clergy, meets you. "By the looks of you, you'e explorers yourselves. Are you here to join up? The omens tell us that the stark mountain winds of late are not natural, that something terrible is coming home." If you wish to find the Citadel before the Irorians stumble across it, you have no time to waste.

--

You spend one night in Sedeq, intending to leave at first light. The scents of spices are a welcome luxury in your rooms, but the distant screams of pain from the slave camps echo throughout the night.

--

Your corrected destination is only two days travel north. In the late afternoon of the second day, the sun beats down on a maze of red slickstone, with delicate arches and towering columns called hoodoos dotting the landscape. Somewhere within this expanse lies the Citadel of Flame and within, the idol of Moloch.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 22/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

"If we locate Gali, I will send him back to you immediately. If not, I will try to stop by here after finishing my business and inform you personally," Shel advises the ifrit.

She then rejoins the party and warns them of the temple of Irori's plans, and hurries the group onward toward its destination.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

so guess its finally time to go... on ward! Moulini states pointing in the general dirrection of where they need to be heading.

Qadira RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

Would everyone please see Discussion Thread

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

As the faces of the party gather information, and correct the map, James takes the opportunity to get to know Azatoth and Hadassah better.


Even though Azatoth are cautious by nature against humans since his childhood, he still don't want to miss this chance to learn to know his new companions so he says "Sit down James and please tell me more about that strange item you call pistol, since I have never seen such strange device before"


The path descends through a maze of cliffs, opening into a slot canyon of smooth red stone surrounded by towering hoodoos. At the far side, two hoodoos carved into enormous bull-headed men leer down on the canyon, while those nearby look like stylized flames. To either side, the canyon walls rise steeply in a series of rough ledges to the clifftops above.

Brass doors on a massive wall of baked gray mud can be seen through an arch at the far side of the canyon.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

I draw my cross bow ensuring its loaded and wait for the team processed taking aim at anything that moves that isn't one of us...

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 4 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 54/54 | F +12 R +11 W +11 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Maximo spent the majority of the trek through the desert conversing with his camel. What began as pleasant conversation has turned to scathing arguments as his patience with the creature waned. His refusal to ride in the proper manner likely contributed greatly to their disagreements - the beasts are not meant to be straddled and spired like horses. By the time the party has reached their destination he is only too happy to dismount (or fall off depending on your point of view).

You, my foul-smelling friend, are lucky that camels make for poor glue!

Straightening his turban, he turns towards the doors. Aha! At last a challenge that I understand. And one less likely to spit!

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 22/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

"Ugh, that is certainly creepy looking, isn't it," Shel asks aloud.

Seeing the door, she examines the area around it, seeing if there is anything unusual that she can find. If she detects any sort of trap, she will warn the party, then attempt to disarm it.

DM, do you prefer to roll the Perception and Disable rolls, or should I?

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Gryne mimics Maximo's distaste of the humped creature and excitedly dismounts it.

These beasts are unnatural. I normally would not be looking forward to entering a buried temple, but these monsters make it look inviting.

Gryne removes his bow and falls into rank.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"And that, in a nutshell is why I prefer my horse," laughs Hadassah, climbing down from her mount.

"Allow me a few moments before we enter, if you would."

@DM:

If I can locate roughly fifteen small stones, thumb size-ish, I would like to cast {URL=http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/light.html#_light]Light[/URL] on them and distribute them to those who can not see in the dark, keeping the remaining in my belt pouch. I know they only last 10 minutes each, so I will cycle through them as we wander keeping them lit, and in my pouch.


Gerald, if you want to make the Disable Device check, that's fine, but let me make the Perception checks for you, because Shel doesn't know how well she did. As it turns out, that may be moot, for the nonce.

--

Hadassah, so noted

Gryne's Survival check 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
James' Survival check 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

James, you notice faint scorch marks criss-crossing the valley floor. As you do, flickering torchlights move about the hoodoos, casting weird shadows on the walls.

At some point soon, I'll learn how to post images of the battle scene onto Google+. For now, I'll ask you to bear with me. Imagine the area around you being placed on a grid with the column listed by letter and the rows listed by number, like a spreadsheet.

You all dismounted your camels and filed into the valley from the west, entering at A10. The 10'-wide archway leading to the brass doors is on the east wall of the valley, at E9 and E10.

Given your preferences on the discussion board, I'm placing Shel just under the archway at E9, Maximo and Azatoth behind her at D8 and D10, Moulini at C9, Hadassah and James at B8 and B10, and Gryne taking up the read, just entering the valley at A10.

There are hoodoos at A9, A11, B3 (10' above the valley ground level), B6 (5' above the ground level), B13 (10' above), C16 (10' above), D2 (10' above), E8 and E11.

There are opponents hiding among the hoodoos. Those who make a DC 16 Perception check can act during the surprise round.:
Azatoth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 -- can take a single standard or move action
Gryne: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22 -- can take a single standard or move action
Hadassah 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
James 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18 -- can take a single standard or move action
Maximo 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Moulini 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Shel 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23 -- can take a single standard or move action

Initiative for this combat:

Spoiler:
Azatoth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Gryne: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Hadassah 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18
James 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Maximo 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Moulini 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Shel 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Opponents: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Opponents
Hadassah, Azatoth, Moulini, Maximo, Shel, Gryne, James
As I mentioned before, initiative doesn't matter that much. The initiative for this combat is, essentially, the opponents, and then the party. I recommend that we go in posting order, and that high-initiative players who don't log on till lower-initiative PC have posted their actions announce that they're delaying till their colleagues have acted.

Two creatures step out from B14 to C13, and from D1 to C2. They stand 4' tall, made entirely of flame. Their heads resemble bulls' heads, but their bodies are indistinct and constantly in motion. They take their single move action, moving from C13 to C10 (right next to Moulini) and from C2 to C7, next to Moulini. To those near them, they crackle in their own heat, and smell of slowly charring stone. One of them speaks in Ignan, the language of the elemental plane of fire.

For those who speak Ignan:
"[b]Rejoice, my sister! Our master was kind in sending us first through the portal, for the glory of the first kill is ours today. All ahil Moloch!"

Azatoth, Gryne, James, and Shell, you can each take your surprise-round action.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 22/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

Shel pulls her dagger from its sheath and prepares for combat with the fiery opponents.

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 4 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 54/54 | F +12 R +11 W +11 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Ha! You two have echoed my thoughts precisely! Maximo laughs, clapping Gryne's shoulder and winking at Hadassah as he moves into his place among the group. I would take a stubborn half-lame donkey over one of these. By Shelyn, I feel like my backside is on fire.

Unaware of the flaming creatures descending upon them, he sniffs the air and twists to look behind him. Strange, it might be my imagination, but I think I actually smell smoke.


Azatoth sees the fiery creatures step out from the shadows.He quickly shouts "WE ARE UNDER ATTACK, PREPARE YOURSELF!" He then mutters loudly "I wonder if my tooths will like biting them? I guess time will tell", he shivers at the thought of hot fires on his tooths.

He then draws his scimitar and prepares for battle.

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

James, having never seen beings made of fire, takes the alien tongue as a threat. He pulls out his pistol and shoots, at the furthest target within his first range increment. "Looks like things are about to heat up!"


James, during the surprise round, you can draw the weapon (a Move action) but not draw and shoot, unless I'm missing some aspect of the character.

--

Gryne:
Knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
You recognize these as small fire elementals.

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

You are not missing anything, James draws the weapon.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

These are fire elementals! Don't bite them.
Gryne draws his bow and loads an arrow, ready to let loose at the one of the fire elementals that is surrounding Moulini.
Interesting creatures, seem perfect for the cult of Moloch


Round 1

Fire Elementals
The fire elemental at C7, the talky one, lowers its head and speaks to Maximo in Ignan.

Ignan:
Do you fear us, thing of flesh? Do you dread the coming of Moloch? Do you fear the immolation of your world?

It rams its bull-horns into the paladin.
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
It strikes for 1d4 ⇒ 4 points of damage, and the edges of Maximo's clothes burst into flame.

Maximo, please made a Reflex saving throw, to avoid being set on fire.

The elemental at C10 says nothing, but its crimson flame flares bright yellow momentarily as it swings a pseudopod of fire at Mourini.
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9.
It misses, and steps to D11.

Hadassah, Azatoth, Moulini, Maximo, Shel, Gryne, James; it's your turn.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 22/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

dM

Spoiler:
Without a map, I'm not sure exactly where everyone is. So I'm going to post a couple options, depending on if I can flank or not.

Shel moves to attempt to flank the closest fire monster, to take advantage of it being distracted. If she can get a flank, her attack is +6 and her damage is 1d4+1 and 1d6, if they are able to be hit with sneak attack.

If she is unable to reach a foe, she will double move, to set up a sneak attack for the next round, and provide a flanking bonus for this round.

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

James moves to B11, and shoots at the elemental in D11. The elemental should be adjacent to Azatoth, but is not yet engaged in combat with him. If I have made a mistake on my excel map please let me know so I can change my action.


I'm still learning my way around Google+. I hope to get those ducks in a row for the next fight.

Shel:
From a previous post: "...I'm placing Shel just under the archway at E9, Maximo and Azatoth behind her at D8 and D10, Moulini at C9,..." (Here, A1 would be to the northwest, and E15 would be to the southeast.)

The fire elementals are at C7 (adjacent to Maximo at D8) and D11 (adjacent to Azatoth).

Shel could move from E9, through Maximo's square at D8, to C8, to B7 (the second diagonal, takes 10') to B6, and flank that elemental.

She could move from E9, through Azatoth's square at D10, to C11 (taking 10') to D12, and flank that elemental.

Either way, Shel runs the risk of being attacked as she moves past the enemy. Does she want to try that, using Acrobatics?

She could also move adjacent to either elemental and Ready an action to attack it in case someone steps behind it and provides her a flanking partner. That would eliminate the risk of an Attack of Opportunity.

James: That works.
Pistol: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13. That just barely strikes it! Shards of ask and coals fall off its side. Surprised that it can be hurt, the elemental take a moment to stare at the wound.
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 5 points of damage. It's still up.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 22/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

DM, I will pass on taking an AoO, so I will move adjacent to the closest elemental, setting up a possible flank and ready an action to attack if someone moves behind it. Thanks for taking it slow with me. I am terrible at abstract things.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

What the heck are these things?
I would like to make a Knowledge check, if possible, to get an idea of what I am up against.
Hadassah points at the elemental creature attacking Maximo, and focuses for a brief moment.

[Evil Eye (DC 15) Willpower, -2 to Armor Class (Evil Eye is linked)]


Shel moves from E9, to D9, through Moulini's square at C9, to B10, and then to C11 (after James fires through the square, of course). She's adjacent to the wounded fire elemental, and Ready to attack if anybody steps to E11.

--

Knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16) Hadassah recognizes these creatures as small fire elementals, outsiders who live for battle and enjoy mockery and intimidation as their opponents catch on fire.

The braggart elemental is momentarily startled by Hadassah's unnerving stare.
Will save: 1d20 ⇒ 18
But only momentarily. (The elemental will suffer a -2 penalty to its armor class for one round. If nothing else, you've probably shut it up for a few seconds.)


Azatoth groowls loudly and makes an attack with his scimitar against the elemental at position C10

He also recalls the dwarfs word's and avoids the tempting feeling to bite them, a feeling that always becomes like an urge when battle torns up.


Azatoth, after taking a swing at Mourini, that elemental stepped to D11. There is a rogue waiting at C11 for someone to flank with her. Did you want to take a 5' step to E11 and do that, or are you happy staying where you are?

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Gryne lets an arrow fly at one of the elementals that is threatening one of my teammates but not yet engaged. (How is that for vague? I honestly cannot figure it out without a map. It's completely me and my learning style, not intended as a jab). I am just trying to hit one that may make an attack at one of my mates before they can strike.

After the attack I will ready another arrow rather than move.

Taldor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Paladin of Shelyn 4 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 54/54 | F +12 R +11 W +11 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Reflex save 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

Yeeeaaah!

Maximo calls out in surprise as the elemental strikes him. His fine robes smoke for a moment, but thankfully do not catch fire. Spinning around, he does a double-take upon seeing the flaming creature before him.

Arghh! I knew that camel was some sort of efreet! Likely sent by the Sultan to defeat us. Well, you will not find Maximo is as flammable as you hope, creature!

Attack with warhammer 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Damage 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


Gryne, both fire elementals are engaged -- Azatoth and Shel are attacking the creature at D11, and Maximo is fighting the one at C7. But you have a clearer shot at the southern one at D11.

Longbow: (+2 DEX, +1 Masterwork weapon, +1 point-blank shot, -4 firing into melee.)
Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 16; that hits!
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 points of damage. That's enough to disrupt it. It wavers suddenly, startled, and then unravels with a fwoosh! Your arrow falls to the ground where the creature stood, the arrowhead and the first foot of the shaft ruined by the intense heat.

Azatoth, you were attacking the elemental next to you, but we haven't rolled that attack yet. If you like, we can rule that James and Gryne destroyed the elemental before you could strike the blow, and you can move up to C8 and attack the elemental threatening Maximo instead.

Shel, your target vanished before anybody could flank with you.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

if i can i'll take a 5foot step and fire my crossbow...


Moulini 's crossbow swivels to the bull-headed walking bonfire and shudders as the bolt flies.
Attack: (+2, -4 for firing into melee) 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0, and the bolt goes wild, striking one of the Hoodoos to the north.

Round 1
Elementals attack, hitting Maximo but missing Mourini.
James fires and hits the elemental which attacked Moulini.
Shel sets herself up to flank the elemental who attacked Moulini.
Hadassah casts evil eye on the elemental who hurt Maximo.
Maximo strikes his elemental with a warhammer.
Gryne fires at the elemental who had attacked Moulini, dissipating it.
Moulini fired her crossbow at the one remaining elemental, missing.

Azatoth, did you want to step up to the remaining elemental and attack?


Azatoth steps up to the remaining elemental and attack with his scimitar

DM:
Sorry, I totally missed that the elemental took a step after the swing. My bad! My map has been updated now to reflect this


Azaatoth steps in between Maximo and Moulini with his scimitar, slashing at the elemental.
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23; which would threaten a critical, except that elementals are immune to critical hits

The scimitar enters into the elemental cleanly, making a sound as if the blade were slid into sand or ashes.
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7, which is enough. The flaming creature looks to Azatoth, about to say something, when it abruptly changes color and vanishes. The blade of the half-orc's scimitar is still bright red, and the handle is uncomfortably warm.

You guys one-rounded the opposition. Very nice!

The bull-headed statues leer down on the valley while the flame-carved hoodoos rise gracefully far above the canyon floor. The arch at the east end of the canyon (that is, E9 and E10) has a multitude of faint runes carved on its front. A few of the glyphs are written in Kelish and have been partially rubbed out recently, others are in Ignan.

You find two very old, mummified corpses in a small outcrop near the brass gate. They are wearing red, yellow, and white robes.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 22/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

"Can any of you mages try to tell me if there is magic on the door? If so, that always means a trap," Shel describes, then waits to see if any of her companions have that ability.

Whether the door is magical or not, she takes a 20 on her Perception check to examine the door for traps. She then attempts to disable the trap, if there is one present.

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

After the combat James reaches for his powder horn, and prepares his pistol for another shot. "I'll cover anyone brave enough to investigate those bandaged bodies over there"


Beyond the arch, the red stone hoodoos open up to a massive citadel.

The stronghold appears to have two parts: nearby is a squat, square fortress covered in decaying plaster and topped by an enormous minaret from which a thin plume of smoke escapes. The plaster walls are richly decorated with intricate geometric carvings of dancing flames, and smaller minarets rise from the corners.

At the east end of that building, the valley floor drops suddenly and a windowless second structure perches on a plateau beyond, rising gracefully from the void in a tangle of minarets and spires, several of which benching puffs of black smoke at regular intervals.

Even though centuries of sand have scoured away most of the gold leaf that once decorated the structure, the sunlight reflecting off the deep red stone of the citadel makes the entire structure glow like a massive bonfire. The gold leaf that remains glitters like floating enbers.

A delicate, red, enclosed bridge links the first fortress with the second one beyond. A pair of massive brass doors covered in a flowing decorative script blocks access to the near fortress.

Shel takes her time, examining the brass doors closely. The first thing she notices is that they are off their hinges, manually propped up in the doorway to the building. No traps, so far as she can tell.

James, the bodies are not bandaged. But the dessicated desert air, combined with being, you suppose, buried beneath an ocean of sand, have dried them out.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 22/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

"Can someone help me move these doors? I think this might be as good as place to start as any, if no one objects," Shel says, taking a glance at the impressive fortresses.

Taldor

1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

"I'll cover anyone brave enough to investigate those dessicated dried out bodies, that I suppose were buried beneath an ocean of sand"

OOC:
:p I prefer my mummies bandaged


"Absolutely, milady" Without hesitating Azatoth steps forward.He takes a look at his scimitar that is still warm after the fight and then assist Shel with the doors.

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 4 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 54/54 | F +12 R +11 W +11 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Excellent work, my friends! Maximo grins as he pokes the ashes with his hammer. Looking towards the two corpses he moves to investigate. What do we have here, hmm?

He will use detect evil, then search the bodies. Once done, he will say a prayer for the dead.

51 to 100 of 707 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.