Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" (Inactive)

Game Master Chris Mortika

This is a PFS-legal campaign for Scenario #39, "Citadel of Flame".


601 to 650 of 707 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Gryne enters the room after pocketing the documents in the previous room.

So are you telling us that you intend to rise in power as followers of Moloch and force your will on others? I mean no offense, I am fascinated by those that follow leaders, religious or military alike. I for one go where the wind blows me.

-Monster Lore- on the glob of goo.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah will try to sneak to a place where she can both eavesdrop more easily, and see the woman.

How far from the woman do we seem to be?

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

wait I'm here on pilgrimage... is see the trials! state coming up the stairs..

Scarab Sages

Azatoth smiles when he hears the gibbering and stands still and listening interesting to what Moulini will say. He is still very cautious since even a stray dog can feel the threat in this room.

Sovereign Court

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

pilgrimage? I suppose I should have known

James, moves out of the way and allows Moulini to pass and talk to the follower of Moloch.

Sovereign Court

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

Shel waits close by silently, wanting to see how things play out before deciding on a course of action.

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 16

Sorry for the delay. The website is acting glitchy, and I needed to follow a back-route to get here.

Gryne Skystone wrote:
So are you telling us that you intend to rise in power as followers of Moloch and force your will on others? I mean no offense, I am fascinated by those that follow leaders, religious or military alike. I for one go where the wind blows me.

"You have conflated Moloch with other dukes of Hell, dwarf. Moloch offers great things: health for sick children, wisdom for the frustrated and confused, rain for crops, safety for the beseiged. He never forces his will on any, except those who have chosen to accept his gifts or follow in his ways."

Knowledge: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24;

Gryne:
You recognize the flesh thing as a Lemure, one of the least of devils. It lives in constant torment, and if the priest back there dies in disgrace, becoming a lemure in the service of Hell is her likely fate. You know that, like all devils, they're hard to injure with mundane weapons, and immune to fire and poison. Their minds are too alien to be affected by spells. Lemures fight with claws, not usually smart enough to use weapons. According to Aram Zey, the Society's mastr of spells, lemures can be better tempted by devil summoners who offer them remembrances of indulgences long lost to them. He said that he had success with offers of alcohol, warm food, and pornographic illustrations.

The woman, who stands 40 feet away from the top of the staircase, turns to Moulini. "Then you have two more tasks, child. First, while I sense you have scoured your face and laid prostrate before Moloch's image, you have not taken the last test of pilgrimmage. Return to the blue flame, and immolate your right hand. Place your trust in the God of Fire, and you shall emerge unscathed."

Lava continues to pour out of the mouth of the idol on the altar.

Sovereign Court

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

Muttering softly, but loud enough to be heard "See Shel, told you she'd probably do it."

ha ha "sea shell" sorry simple things in life

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

i shall go do that... ok fallow me my underlings i state with a wink at the group...


What are you doing, Moulini? Is everybody following?

Sovereign Court

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

what the hell

James follows Moulini.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Whispering to his teammates.
careful, the blob is a lemure, a clawed devil.

Sovereign Court

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

"Yes everyone, let's follow Moulini," Shel advises.

Once outside of earshot, she pow wows the group together. "How are we going to handle this? It's obvious this will come to bloodshed...she is clearly evil. Do we need to doctor up our weapons and prepare to deal with her and the devil-thing?"

Sovereign Court

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

With an apologetic smile and chivalrous bow, Maximo retreats from the room with the others.

The devilish blob with the weight problem should be sent back to the realm it spawned from. The lady, on the other hand, should be spared if possible. All those not in their graves should be given a chance to "repent and be loved" as Shelyn says.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"I agree sir knight,"nods Hadassah at Maximo as she follows Moulini back to the blue flame.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

i'm going for the blue flame... atleast to complete the experance...

Sovereign Court

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

James will continue to follow Moulini, but refuses to put his hand in any fire.


Moulini places her hand in the flame. For an instant, there is no damage at all, but then both the heat and the evil in the flame each scar her flesh. She takes 2d3 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5 points of damage.

More, having completed all three rituals, Moulini starts to sweat, and her demeanor changes. It's subtle, but her bearing is more haggard, her motions jerkier, and she has a hunted look in her eye as she looks at the rest of the party members. Her soul is at war with Moloch's influence.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14; she does not appear to be winning, at the moment.

--

Moulini, would you like to remove your hand from the blue flame, or endure its caress a second round?

--

As soon as Moulini subjects herself to the last ritual, you hear a malicious laughter come from the priest in the room above. "Come, creatures of fire and war! Come, elements of hate and bondage! I call you all, to fight for me this day! Come, in the name of Moloch!" It goes on like that.

Initiative
The Cleric 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Other Team Moloch players 1d20 ⇒ 9
Azatoth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Gryne: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Hadassah: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14
James: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Maximo: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Moulini: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Shel: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

Shel, with your lightning-fast reaction, you're the only member of the party that might be able to climb the stairs and take the fight to the cleric before her summoning is complete. Do you want to do that, by yourself, or wait for everyone else and face her together?

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

out of the flame please as i'm down to a few hp.... then back to the top....

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

I better stop that woman, she may be bringing more monsters to this party.

On my initiative, I will draw a holy arrow and fire it at the cleric.


Gryne, did you stay up at the top of the stairs, alone? Otherwise, you'll have to climb back up before you can fire?

Sovereign Court

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

Shel ambles back up to the top of the stairs, trying to see what was occurring in the room so she could warn her friends.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Pointing the wand at Moulini, Hadassah attempts to heal the burned girl before following Shel up the stairs.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

i shall thank you


While we're waiting for Gryne...

Hadassah, you're carrying a wand?

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Yes Maximo handed to me and I will be wielding it until I give it back, or I get disarmed..

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

I will follow the party up the stairs, I don't want to jump the gun. My hope is to get a shot off before she finishes her spell.


All right.

Round One
Shel climbs the stairs, a full-round action, straight into the attack of the lemure, who was waiting to strike.
Lemure's attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21, a solid hit with one of it's grimy claws.
The lithe halfling takes 1d4 ⇒ 3 points of damage.

Now up in the temple area, Shel sees one of the dozen or so pairs of terrible, fiendish eyes floting behind the woman come forward and take form take the form of an enormous beetle, with glowing yellow eyes all down its head. It hisses like a teakettle as it moves, and it's moving towards shel. It smells like old onions, and stinks of wickedness.

Beetle's Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7; it misses, which only makes it angrier.

"Given every opportunity to leave, you've chosen to stay and tempt the patience of Moloch and his servants. Well, you have taken our measure, and out patience is run out!

The cleric of Moloch gestures with her right hand, and a dagger of flame appears floating an inch over her open palm, point down. She whips her hand through the air, sending the dagger arcing through the air, aimed at Shel's heart.

Cleric's Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12; it misses, as well.

Arizhel was kind enough to send a map over Google docs. I can only view it, not manipulate it. The temple area is the top-right image. The cleric is in square A4, behind the altar. The lemure is in the lava in square F3, but that doesn't seem to bother it.

Shel climbed up into G4, which set off the lemure's readied attack. The cleric finished summoning the fiendish giant fire beetle, and it arrived in G5 and attacked Shel. Then the cleric acted for this turn, throwing a fire bolt.

You can come up. It's a double-move action to climb the stairs (25 feet of difficult terrain). At the top, you can position yourself in any square adjacent to the stairs.

Hadassah spends the round healing Moulini of 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 points of damage.
Gryne runs up the stairway, arriving in [ooc]what square[/b]?
The rest of you?

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

i shall fallow

Sovereign Court

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

You, young lady, need to stay back. Maximo edges in front of Moulini, and begins climbing the stairs. As he does, he draws out his vial of bless weapon and prepares to apply it to his hammer. I don't know what game is being played, but it seems you are in danger of becoming a pawn. And this knight intends to capture the queen.

Move up stairs, get out oil of bless weapon.

Scarab Sages

Azatoth follows Maximo

"You shall not be alone paladin, although I don't fight for the gods I shall make an excellent companion"

Sovereign Court

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

James follows Azatoth and Maximo

"I got you covered guys"


Gryne runs up the stairs, arriving in H6. He's next to the summoned beetle in G5, and 30' from the cleric.

Moulini, you are still suffering the effects of the induction ceremonies. You can climb up and join the fight, against Maximo's advice, if you want, or you can hang back and wait for the effects to clear. What would you like to do?

Maximo, moving up the stairs is a full-round action. Are you moving halfway up and taking out the vial of oil?

Azatoth makes a full move to reach the temple, stepping into G3. He's right next to the lemure in F3, and 30' away from the cleric.

James follows, standing right behind Azatoth in H3.

Shel, you also act in the second round before the cleric -- Hafshi, according to the papers Gryne found -- can follow up on her attacks.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

I will fire off Lightning Arc (Air Domain Power) on my turn targeting the Cleric and Lemure if they are within 30 ft of each other.

Sovereign Court

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

Shel, being wounded, outnumbered, and waiting on her allies, decides that making herself harder to hit would be prudent.

Shel will go total defense this round.

Sovereign Court

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Maximo is halfway up the stairs. I think getting the oil applied outside of combat is prudent to avoid AoOs. Next round he will apply the oil and move up into the room to face the Lemure.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

i'll wait....


GM Chris Mortika wrote:

Gryne runs up the stairs, arriving in H6. He's next to the summoned beetle in G5, and 30' from the cleric.

Moulini hangs back and waits for the effects to clear.

Maximo moves halfway up and takes out the vial of oil of bless weapon.

Azatoth makes a full move to reach the temple, stepping into G3. He's right next to the lemure in F3, and 30' away from the cleric.

James follows, standing right behind Azatoth in H3.

Round 2

Shel goes on full defense.

The lemuregurgles with joy. Sweating profusely, it Az or Shel: 1d2 ⇒ 1 draws forth a second claw and attacks Azatoth.
Attacks: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6, 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11; it fails to connect, despite its desperate attempts.

Steam streams from the hellish fire beetle as it attacks Gryne or Shel: 1d2 ⇒ 2 Shel.
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18; Shel's decision to go on Total Defense is the only thing that saves her.

The cleric turns towards James. "You, I think we need to keep occupied." As she invokes the power of the arch-devil, she cracks a whip, and the sound echoes throughout the room. She does so again, and the echo comes from James's area. A third whip crack is answered by the manifestation of an energy whip, right next to James, which attacks.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16; it just barely hits, doing 1d8 ⇒ 4 points of damage, and looming next to the gunslinger, eager to attack again.

--

Your turns.

Sovereign Court

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

"Where are the rest of you," Shel screams, getting tired of being surrounded by the monsters.

I'ii delay for a bit, DM. If the troops don't arrive this round, I'll total defense again. If they do come up, she will pull her dagger and attack, flanking if possible.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hearing the combat ensuing above, Hadassah turns to run up the stairs. Double move or run depending on distance as best I can recall from my last trip up and down the stairs.

Sovereign Court

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Hold the line friends, I am on the way! Maximo calls as he applies the oil to his mace and ascends the stairs. Back away Shel and let me handle the devil!

Sovereign Court

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

"Ouch!!!"

I'll take a shot at the Cleric, then 5 foot step toward the direction of Hadassah.

Sovereign Court

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

DM, if any flank opportunities are there, Shel will pull her dagger and attack. If not, she will move 5' closer to the cleric and stay on the defensive.


Gryne takes a 5' step towards the cleric and firees off his lightning arc. That provokes an attack of opportunity from the beetle.
Beetle's Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10; ignoring the mandibles snapping in the air next to his hip, Gryne casts the spell.
Gryne's ranged touch attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9; not quite enough.

Hadassah moves up the stairs. The only available square next to the top of the stairs is H6.

James takes a shot at the cleric, just 30' away. (H3 to A4)
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26; a terrific shot.
Confirmation: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14; not enough with the cover that Azatoth and Shel are providing.
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 4; she takes a shot in the arm.

There are no spaces between James (H3) and Hadassah (H6) that are currently unoccupied. (The stairs effectively take up H4 and H5).

Azatoth lashes out at the lemure:
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19; he can't quite make the distance with the bubbling lava casting heat turbulence in the air.

As Arizhel's map (the temple is in the upper-right) shows, column F in this room is all lava. The lemure can stand in it uninjured, and Hadassah's racial fire resistance might be up to the task as well, but Shel can not move 5' towards the cleric of Moloch (moving from G4 to F4 would put her ankle-deep in magma). Gryne has, however, moved right on the other side of the giant beetle.

Shel can, however, retreat a square back down the stairs. That would give Maximo a place to stand on the temple floor.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

i'lll still waiting to feel better then i'll join claim to help the priestest then give he a nice stab...


Moulini, I'll let you know when you start to feel better.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

On my turn, I will attempt another Lightning Arc.

Sovereign Court

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

"Get up here, Max," Shel squeaks as she ducks back, giving the strong fellow with the big blade a path to attack the others.

five foot step back, DM.


Downstairs, Moulini reels, waiting for the madness to subside.

Maximo hears a gunshot, and waits for Shel to follow his lead.

Round 3

Shel moves back onto the top of the stairs.

Maximo slides smoothly past the halfling, taking her place at G4. To his left, he sees a strange beetle, the size of an ancient giant tortoise. As soon as the paladin approaches, the pulsating yellow lights all shift to an unholy orange, and its shell-like wings heave up and down in excitement. Ahead and to his right, he sees the lemure, waddling in a stream of lava, duck out of the path of Azatoth's swing.

Ahead, 30 feet, standing behind the altar, blood running down her robes from a shoulder wound, stands the cleric of Moloch, readying more profane magic to hurl at the party.

To a paladin, holding a blessed weapon, it's all part of the job. To a Taldan, it's just another opportunity to showcase the hidden glories of the empire.

The spiritual whip continues to bedevil James.
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9; distracting the sharpshooter, but not actually striking him.

The lemure goes for Azatoth or Maximo: 1d2 ⇒ 1 the half-orc.
Attacks: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6; 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20; a miss and a solid hit. Azatoth takes 1d4 ⇒ 2 points of damage from its raking claws. It then picks up some lava, ready to hurl it in Azatoth's face next round.

The fiendish fire beetle craves Maximo's blood.
Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10; but, at least for the moment, it must wait to slake its thirst, as it stumbles through a clumsy attack that a novice could turn aside.

The cleric takes out a whip and moves from A4 to B4. "I understand now. Our spires were revealed to you, and you were sent here to be this temple's first trial, the Great One's first test of our worthiness. After we soak your bones in molten slag, and burn your souls to ashes, word will spread that the Citadel of Fire is a foe to be feared, and a refuge for those seeking to add the might of the Lord of Fire to their own. Now, fall before our might."

She conjures up another dart of fire and holds it, ready.

Gryne, you might provoke another attack from the beetle if you cast again -- it's hard to tell, the beetle seems to have locked on to Maximo -- unless you cast defensively. But that could lose the spell, too. Or you could jump over the lava and try to cast from E5. (That would also give the beetle an opening, but you wouldn't be at risk of the fiendish arthropod spoiling your spell.) Lots of options. What would you like to do?

601 to 650 of 707 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.