Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" (Inactive)

Game Master Chris Mortika

This is a PFS-legal campaign for Scenario #39, "Citadel of Flame".


501 to 550 of 707 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

So, there are options:

Staying out in the hallway

Going in
Moulini

Trying to stop the dwarf from closing the door
Azatoth

Grand Lodge

Male

To Maximo "May I have a shot from your wand Sir Knight"

James will wait outside

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Surprised at not being attacked by the dwarf in the demonic temple, Hadassah whispers to Maximo, "I would assume he is not necessarily a friend to our enemies. He has not attacked us. Perhaps a more diplomatic solution is in line?"

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

Shel moves into the room, following Moulini. "Greetings, Master dwarf. Sorry to have interrupted your crafting.". She looks behind her, hoping the others will help with whatever is going to happen in this room.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah will enter the room with Maximo and Gryne, if and when they do so.

Osirion

*edit*

I was understanding it like that the dwarf was trying to close the door to prevent us from entering (more like an aggressive mode of barricading the door). Since it appears not being so then Azatoth will follow after Shel into the room as well, albeit suspicious.


The dwarf is trying to pull the door closed, Azatoth. Given his gruff tone of voice, you might guess that he'd prefer you to stay outside. But you can enter the steamy room if you want. Or you can, yes, try to resist im and keep the door open.

So, there are options:

Staying out in the hallway
James

Going in
Moulini
Shel
Hadassah

Trying to stop the dwarf from closing the door
Azatoth ??

We haven't yet heard from Gryne or Maximo.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

I will enter the room as well.
Addressing the Dwarf; Brother, if we may ask you a few questions and interrupt your smithing for but a moment.


The dwarf clasps Gryne's right arm in a gesture of welcome. "I see you are using one of my scimitars, brother. Has it served you well?" He shuts the door, leaving James (and possibly Maximo?) outside.

He walks into the steam to the south east. His voice is clear: "My work is far behind, and if I don't complete another six blades by the dawn, well, I imagine it won't just be my bonus commission I'l be losing."

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

"oh is your employer that bad?"

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 4 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 54/54 | F +12 R +11 W +11 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Maximo is taken aback by the appearance of the dwarf as well as the surprising brusk, but nonviolent, greeting. Grabbing James by the arm, he steps inside with the others and attempts to switch to diplomatic tactics.

Terribly sorry about the door, my good dwarf. We were under the impression that all civilized beings had made themselves scarce from this place. Making weapons here, hmm? I would love to see your work.

Osirion

Azatoth willfollow the group indeed then... so he follows inside

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

I'll let Maximo drag me in.


The party follows the dwarf, taking care to avoid the rivulets of lava.

The dwarf approaches a forge and sets to work. He uses the tongs to pull a long blade out of the coals, picks up a hammer, and starts beating the metal, folding the blade over onto itself.

"My employer, missy? I don't know where you think you sumbled into, but this is a temple to Moloch. They hired me to make weapons for 'em. Things were goin' pretty well for a couple of weeks. I even let go with a few 'All praise Moloch,' riffs, and they loved it.

"Then word came this week that the entire order needed to be completed by tomorrow morning. And the cult of Moloch has never been, um, forgiving, or casual about deadlines."

He looks at Maximo, and then turns to Gryne. "Show 'im your scimitar there, would you, brother?" He starts pounding the doubled-over blade out, flat again.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Gryne hands Maximo the scimitar.
It is fine work, now what are you called brother, I am Gryne Skystone. These are my companions, we were asked to explore this area and ensure it's safety. What else can you tell me about the Cult of Moloch? How big is the order you must complete? Any idea how many cultists are here?

If necessary to combat the heat, I will cast create water to fill everyone's waterskins and offer water to the dwarf as well.

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 4 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 54/54 | F +12 R +11 W +11 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Qadiran steel. Crude devil-styled hilt. About as balanced as a Chelaxian judge. The heat must be affecting this poor dwarf's judgement too.

Interesting... design. Maximo says, working to hold a smile as he examines the weapon and weathers the oppressive heat. Handing it back like a dirty diaper, he addresses the dwarf.

How has an artisan like yourself ended up in this good-god-forsaken desert? Not enslaved by the Qadirans, are you? It would seem to me that these cultists likely would make good allies of this cursed nation.


Maximo attempts to disguise his disdain for the weapon.
Bluff: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
The dwarf might pick up on that.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8; but doesn't. "Thanks, but the design was their idea, not mine.

Gryne and Maximo try to sway the dwarf to your side.
Gryne's Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19
Maximo's Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

Wow. Nice job!

"The name is Vulcus, Brother Gryne. The order has been for two dozen weapons, mostly halberds, spears, and longswords. Pedestrian stuff. And not enough time to do it right, may Torog have mercy on my hands.

"Technically, I'm here as a member of the citadel, so I can't really reveal a lot of their secrets. As a matter of fact, I should probably raise an alarm and attack you with my hammer or something. If I weren't so busy meeting this thrice-cursed deadline that I don't notice everybody sneaking through the foundry. I can probably complain out loud that the two or three cultists still here could lend their hands to this work, and it would go a lot quicker; it would be a shame if you overheard me."

He dips the sword blade in water, and the steam rises up out of the barrel. "Do you notice how the steam gets channeled through those pipes up there? Goes around and comes out in the Temple of Seething Wrath up top. Good thing those vents right by the staircase in the center of the room are open; if they were closed -- which involves rotating them to the left -- it would block the steam and cool off the temple."

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

Shel looks around at the others and watches the steam rising. "Yeah, I'd hate for the temple to get cooled off..."

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"A shame indeed," agrees Hadassah. "It would equally be a shame if perhaps you were so busy in your forging of these fine blades that you didn't notice, perhaps, a small group of 'innitiates' turning those very vents to the left before they ventured up those stairs?"

With that said, Hadassah attempts to venture to the vent controls, trying to turn them to the left.

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

It almost seems as if he is trying to tell us something.

James will assist Hadassah in turning the vent controls.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

You are a champion of your craft and honor Vulcus, Torag does smile down on thee. We are in your debt, do not hesitate to call on me if you need me in the future.

Gryne sees Hadassah and James heading to the vent controls.

Turning back to Vulcus; If you would like an escort out of here, say the word and we will help you get home.


Vulcus smiles quietly at Gryne. He pulls another tang out of the coals and begins to bend it the same way as he did the first.

"I think I will be done here, one way or another, by the dawn, brother. If you prove victorious in your efforts to -- what was your phrase, 'ensure this place's safety'? -- then come by here on your way down, and we shall find a fair city north of the Zho, and I shall buy you a decent beer. If not, I will either die withthe sunrise, and we can raise one in Pharasma's waiting line, or else I shall find a tavern myself and drink to your memory.

"May your hands always give good work."

Hadassah has no trouble turning the valves. Sheis standing next to a flight of stairs, leading up.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

Thxs moulin states walking to the stairs read to ascend...

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

"One last question, friend, if you wouldn't mind. You said there were just a few cultists left here...do you have any idea where they are located right now? We need to go talk to them about the error of their ways," Shel asks, once she noted Hadassah had closed off the tubes.


"Initiates, such as yourselves, always meet with the leadership in the Temple of Seething Wrath, to be judged as to worthiness as an acolyte. I'm sure the leadership will be just as eager to receive advice and correction from initiates."

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

Temple of Seething Wrath... Sounds like a lovely place.

Osirion

Azatoth can't help smiling at the witty dwarfs comment regarding the leadership being eager to recieve advice and correction from the initiates

"Dwarf, would you mind sharing where we can find this temple you mention? I am sure the leadership will put out the red carpet for us when we arrive"

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Once James, Maximo, and Azatoth venture upstairs, Hadassah will follow.

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 4 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 54/54 | F +12 R +11 W +11 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Good day to you, and farewell. Maximo bows to the dwarf and heads up the stairs.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Gryne follows the party to the stairs after exchanging a hardy Dwarven farewell to Vulcus.


The stairs lead up to a landing, decorated in the now-familiar themes of fire, bull-headed warriors, and battle against forces dressed in red and gold armor, wielding scimitars. Behind and below you, the sounds of Vulcus' hammering resume.

From this landing, a long, winding ramp ascends gently in loops through the Citadel. The passage looks long, and for the first time, you actually need the illumination you brought.

The innermost loop is covered in a large mural that shows a devotee of Moloch abandoning her family to begin a pilgrimage to the Citadel, as well as her journey through the Qadiran desert, with sandstorms, steadfast refusal of water, and a heat-induced vision of Moloch. after a sharp turn to the left, the corridor reveals a super-heated vent of air from the forge below, blowing upward across the outer wall of the loop. Next to it lays a pile of black sand.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
You can tell from the mural that pilgrims moving through this area would place a handful of sand above the vent and allow it to scour their bare faces.

The passage continues upwards, spiraling to the right.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

i shall attempt to do that

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah pulls out her paper again, and attempts to write clear and succinct descriptions of the murals, and her interpretation of what they mean. As they pass the pile of black sand, she attempts to take a handful and place it in her belt pouch. Otherwise, she continues on, following between the large warrior types.

Remembering the journal found with the shiny stones, Hadassah pulls it out of her belt pouch before dumping sand all over it, wraps it neatly in a sheet of rice paper, and places the book into her backpack. "I can't read the language, but perhaps on the way back home, I could copy the contents to a journal of my own? I would love to know what it says. Three hundred years old. . . "

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

James maintains a defensive postion while taking the rear on the stairs. "Hadassah, if and when you are able can you give me a bit of healing, no telling what we may encounter up here."


Moulini:
Which god do you worship?

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Gryne will also "copy" the mural to go along with his others and take a sample of the sand.

Let's be careful, We know there are enemies up here, so let's be ready for them.

Gryne draws his bow and holy arrows and readies himself for an incoming fight.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"I am afraid that my ability to heal is almost spent for the day, James. For the sake of safety, perhaps Maximo and his wondrous wand would do better?"

Tapping Maximo on the soulder, Hadassah asks, "Sir Knight, would you be so kind as to heal our wounded gunslinger? I would bet that when we reach the Temple of Seething Wrath, it will be a boon to us all to have everyone in tip top shape."

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

Cayden Cailean


Moulini grabs a fist-ful of the black sand and sticks her own face into the brutal airstream of the vent. She opens her hand in the blast and the sand tears at her face.

Moulini takes Damage: 2d3 ⇒ (3, 1) = 4 points of damage.

Hadassah, you have your sand.
Hadassah and Gryne copy the mural.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"Well, one of us now looks like an initiate I suppose..."

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

Shel ascends the stairs with the others. [b]"Be careful everyone, looks like we will be finding the remaining cultists here in a second.

She will take her spot at the head and start slowly proceeding down the passageway, when the others complete their sketchings, carefully looking for traps along the way.


Shel:
The passageway is dark except for the light you folks carry. Are you going to sneak ahead with light, stick to the aura of light from the main group, or move ahead into dim light?

Osirion

Azatoth readies himself for possible battle ahead and take the lead together with Maximo.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

"Does anyone have a light I can carry? It's dark up here and it's not like my dagger as done me any good so far anyway in this place?"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

I'll cast Light on Shel's Dagger,

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 2 | HP 31/31 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+5, R+12, W+4 | Init. +4 | Perc +10/+11| Evasion |

Shel thanks the dwarf, and wields her shiny weapon as she searches for any traps.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah retrieves a stone from her beltpouch, casts light on it, and offers the stone to Maximo.

I bought a Character Folio yesterday, if it will matter. However, I plan on using the Folio for my Mysterious Stranger/Paladin.

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 4 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 54/54 | F +12 R +11 W +11 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Hmm? Oh! Terribly sorry James. Maximo says, getting out his wand and waving it over the man's wounds. Thought it was but a scratch.

Putting the wand away again, he accepts Hadassah's stone with a bow and wedges it between the fingers holding his warhammer.

Maximo will drop the light stone at the first sign of trouble so as not to affect his weapon use.


Shel, you lead the way up another spiral of the ramp. There is a simple door on the outer edge of the curve -- you check it, and you find the central hall of a tower with several more rooms, both above and below the entry points, along with bed chambers, guardrooms, a rude kitchen and dining hall, latrines, and storage closets.

All are long-abandoned, with the floors covered in a thick layer of desert sand, the simple furniture broken, food long since desiccated and rotten, and no signs of life.

Just twenty feet beyond the door, you see a massive, leering devil coming out of the wall! On further inspection, you discover a second mosaic, which illustrates the passage through the hoodoo maze. The same pilgrim from the first mosaic encounters increasingly large fire creatures, but in each case she prostrates herself to them and is allowed to pass.

The figure Shel saw comes into clearer view as a centerpiece of the mosaic, a bas-relief of a towering bull-headed man looming over mosaics of pilgrims kneeling before it.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah again attempts to sketch out this bit of temple's art. "This is an interesting insight into how this all is supposed to work. It looks like you have to submit all the way through, and hope for the best maybe?"

As she puts the paper away, "I just hope we don't have to face whatever that bull headed thing is." Hadassah will look back over her training to see if she can recall what kind of devil this may be, or what the bull headed person is.

501 to 550 of 707 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.