Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" (Inactive)

Game Master Chris Mortika

This is a PFS-legal campaign for Scenario #39, "Citadel of Flame".


1 to 50 of 707 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

One of the bulletins on the messageboard this morning was scrawled in Venture Captain Dennel Hamshanks' hand: "Small team needed, leaving at noon today for Meraz Desert. Expertise in the history of Sarenrae cults would be especially attractive. Meet on 3rd floor, Hemlock Room, at morning bells."

--+--

Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself. I'm presuming that the order of players posting is the order that characters enter the room.

Osirion

Male Elf Archaeologist 4, Lore Warden 2, Pathfinder Delver 4 |HP 69/69 | AC 23 |T 12 | FF21 | CMD 20 | F:+7 | R:+10 | W:+7 | Init +2 | Perc +19 | Sense Motive +6

After straining his eyes for a few moments attempting to read the scribbled handwriting of Dennel Hamshanks, the young but experienced archaeologist thinks to himself "The Meraz Desert, that would definitely be a change of pace from cataloging in depths the Blakros Museum". The rather bookish elf heads back to his room and begins preparation for a desert adventure. With the first hint of the morning sun, the blonde haired, green eyed bookworm sets off for the Meraz Desert, by way of the Hemlock Room.

Thoth Clopedia is an elven Osirionologist that specializes in Extraordinary Zoology, Linguistics, Ancient History, and Religion. He prides himself on his vast amounts of knowledge concerning just about any and everything. When gazing upon Thoth one would easily notice that he lacks the telltale signs of a normal pathfinder, he does not have the muscular frame, lithe movements, or obvious durability so regularly exhibited by it's members. However when one talks to Thoth it becomes evident that this slightly magnetic individual has the knowledge of a thousand sages, and is a specilized though fragile tool of the Pathfinder Society.

Osirion

Male Elf Archaeologist 4, Lore Warden 2, Pathfinder Delver 4 |HP 69/69 | AC 23 |T 12 | FF21 | CMD 20 | F:+7 | R:+10 | W:+7 | Init +2 | Perc +19 | Sense Motive +6

Suddenly a thought hits Thoth like a lightning bolt, the thinks to himself "If I leave for the sands of the Meraz Desert, I will most certainly miss the upcoming Blakros wedding ceremony" With that thought Thoth takes his leave, and returns to the museum for further research.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

I walk in after a night in the taven mostly still hung over just really there to see if theres any adventures as it has been some thime since my last adventure... "The Meraz Desert" Moulini thinks to herself "that'd defantly get me awayform my family..." She thinks as she heads for the nears place to clean her self up... then she'll return to the taven to let them know that she'll not be there to preform tonight before gets a good night sleep and heads for the 3rd floor Hemlock Room.

Moulini Tankard is beautiful, with great looks, Red hair that frames her face and large Green eyes. Always ready with a smile or a laugh, she used her charms and wit while she tring to find out what she can. Shes a skilled rouge.. She uses her skills as entertainer at a local taven When she's not on a mission. She's Normal Dressesin her entertainers outfit and with a flute, and pack, she looks very much like a bard... She alway has here Rapier with her a treasure item from her Grandfather...

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

Interesting Shel thinks to herself as she sees the note scrawled on the board. The tiny female halfing nods at the red haired human who had already admired the notice. "Hey there. Are you signing up for this mission? I definitely am, as it'll be my first. I'm a bit excited, if you can't tell."

Almost subconsciously, Shel buckles the straps on her armor, while thinking about what she might encounter in the desert.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

Yeah my first too... well for the Society... Moulini states giving the he halfling a sly little smile... putting hand on her Rapier.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

"Of course! What do you think we will find out there? I've never been to the Meraz desert before. I'm Shel, by the way. Nice to meet you."

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

The door to the Hemlock room opens, revealing a handsome man in his middle years. Like an actor stepping on stage, he strides in with a confident grin. Upon seeing two females he comes to a stop mid-step, looking a bit startled.

Good day, most beautiful ladies! He sweeps into a low elegant bow despite the large weapon and shield strapped over his shoulder. What luck brings two of Shelyn's blessed angels before my eyes? Peeking about the room out of the corner of his eye he seems to be looking for something.

Wine. Ale. Where are you my good friends?


"Morning bells" is about 9:00 am. Maximo might well have expected some wine during evening meetings -- typically a rose-infused recent vintage -- but this morning, the only caraffe on the sideboard holds coffee. There are also a half-dozen blue-green mugs, all of a set. Next to them is a small loaf of this morning's bleached bread, some parsley butter, and a collection of a dozen or so sausages.

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Maximo's smile falters as he spies the contents of the sideboard.

Ah, coffee... my old adversary, so we meet again.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

A red skinned tiefling female finishes her climb up the stairs, "Hello! Pleased to meet you all, this is the Hemlock Room I hope?" Her long, barbed tail removes a rolled up scrap of paper tucked into her belt, depositing it into her had as she finishes tucking long white hair behind a curled black rams horn, she reads aloud, "Small team needed, leaving at noon today for Meraz Desert. Expertise in the history of Sarenrae cults would be especially attractive. Meet on 3rd floor, Hemlock Room, at morning bells. This is the place?"

Her bright yellow eyes sparkle with excitement as she looks over the group assembled. Smiling broadly she explains, "I was afraid I would be the only new Pathfinder, I am happy to see I was incorrect."

Several moments later, blushing, she fidgets a moment, wringing her tail in her hands and , then blurts out, "Oh, and I am Hadassah by the way..'"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Upon completion of his escort duty last month. Gryne begins to look for more work. That's when he sees the message from Venture Captain Dennel Hamshank.

This seems like quite the opportunity to expand my talents.

Gryne makes his way to the Hemlock Room after morning bells. He opens the door to see the spattering of adventurers conversing in the room.

Greetings friends, I am Gryne Skystone. I assume we have all come here in response to the Venture Captain's message?

Gryne nods to his new companions and helps himself to the coffee at the bar. Anyone care to join me?

Gryne is a "tall" and "lanky" dwarf. He seems like he was stretched out while he was growing, almost like he was bred to not look so "Dwarfy".
He is an Inquisitor of the Air Domain like his grandfather and does not feel as comfortable under the earth as he does when the air is blowing through his flowing hair.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Mmm coffee, I would love some, thank you. Hadassah joins the lanky dwarf at the coffee bar, helping herself to a small cup before taking a seat to wait for the Venture Captain.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

The halfling introduces herself the the group that has exponentially increased in size. "Hello, everyone. Nice to meet you all. I'm Shel Whispertongue. And I would love a spot of breakfast before we get the details of our meeting. No telling when we will get a chance to eat anything other than rations again," she says as she strides to the breakfast spread, grabbing a small hunk of bread and three of the sausages, as well as pouring a cup of the coffee the others were enjoying. Balancing her meal, she takes a seat next to the tiefling.


The door to Hemlock room once again opens, and soon a large figure steps inside. He doesn't look like the regular customers here and his bulky figure soon comes into the light of some torches. He has pretty dark skin and black long hair that covers most of his ears. Noticable are the extra large fangs that comes out from his lower jaw.

He has curved sword by his side and a large wooden shield on his back. He carefully look around inside the room and then steps inside.

"Greetings people! By the looks it appears that I have come to the right place. I assume you all are here for the desert trip?"

The half-orc spots the tiefling and suddenly there seems to be a slight relief coming over his face. He then sits down at a table quite close to the tiefling.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah whispers to the half orc, 'I am glad I will not be the only one on this trip.' and nods knowingly.

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

Waking up a bit late, James grabs his effects and rushes to the hemlock room. Knowing this is his first mission he hopes his tardiness does not reflect poorly on himself. After walking into the room, the human eyes the tiefling and half- orc then swiftly walks toward Maximo at the coffee table.Greetings, the name is James Younger, I also hail from the greatest of nations as he extends his hand towards Maximo.


The half-orc nods to the tiefling when she whispers to him and whispers back "You and I are not being considered normal in many eyes, so it is a pleasure to see another person that has experienced those strange looks from people that sometimes the have hard to hide the disgust in their eyes"

The half-orc freezes for a few seconds and then stands up and say "How rude of me to forget to introduce myself. My name is Azatoth but I am also known as Plaguebringer, but I do prefer if you call me Azatoth"

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Welcome all. Every time I sit in a room of would be companions like this I know I made the right decision to come to your surface. I myself am seen as an outcast to my own people and welcome you as brethren.
As Shel suggested, let us eat as well as we can for I fear the meals may lower in quality in the days to come.[/b]

Gryne lets out a gutteral belch to make any true man proud. *BELCH*

HA! You can remove the boy from the dwarves but not the dwarf from the boy.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

Shel rolls her eyes at the emenation by Gryne. "If food causes that kind of reaction, friend dwarf, perhaps avoiding it for a few days on our travels might not hurt you."


Azatoth grins and then mutters to himself "Telling a dwarf to avoid food is like telling a priest to stop praying"


"Or telling Pathfinder agents to settle down and get to work!" booms a voice from out in the hall. At that, Venture Captain Dennel Hamshanks pounds into the meeting room, a pair of large, musty books under his left arm. “Glad to see you're all dressed for travel. Never time to do it right, is there? Gorum see us through this, then.” He drops the books on the center table and pours himself some coffee.

Hamshanks takes a glance at Gryne and grunts loudly, before leveling his glare at the entire room. “Any of you ever been to Qadira? Religion is almost a fad down there, with new cults springing up like weeds and getting crushed just as quickly. It has been that way for centuries."

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Exotic deserts, religious cults? Maximo asks, apparently oblivious to the task, and possibly also the fact that Dennel Hamshanks is a Venture Captain. Ha! It would seem adventure has found me once again. And just when I was starting to think I had wandered into the wrong room. He makes a dismissive gesture at the breakfast spread.

But I have nearly forgotten my manners! He suddenly realizes, taking Dennel's hand in a firm handshake. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Maximo Interresante - gentleman adventurer of Taldor, knight of Shelyn, and defender of many maiden's honor.

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

Taldorian gentleman? I knew there was something about that one...

Shel shakes her head in answer to the Venture Captain's question. "I have not had the pleasure, sir. Sounds like that will be changing really soon," she laughs.


Shel cannot tell whether Hamskanks grins at her, or simply grimaces as he opens one of his books, paging through it, looking for a reference. "But some make a mark—on Qadira or in the Chronicles," he says, his attention split between you and the book. "Three centuries ago, the archdevil Moloch, preaching surrender to the desert heat, suddenly became the rage. Qadirans walked into the desert just to die just as if the heat was their paradise. The most devout sought out a place known as the 'Citadel of Flame', or, in one source, the 'Sanctum Infernum'."

He finds the passage he was looking for, and reads aloud: "...where a fearsome bull-headed idol of Moloch judged them and sent the worthy to Malebolge, the sixth layer of Hell."

Hamshanks looks up at you. "No surprise then, that Sarenrae’s priests launched an extensive crusade to demolish the citadel. What became of them, we're not sure. Two weeks after the expedition left the city of Sedaq, a great sandstorm blew over the desert, making travel impossible for days. Nothing more was heard from either the expedition or the citadel and its idol."

He sets the book aside and reaches into his pouch for some notes. "Until ten days ago, that is."

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

What happened 10 days ago?

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"The temple has been buried in sand for three hundred years? I shudder to think what may found there now."

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

Turning his gaze towards the red lady with the tail, and stating matter of factly.
"If I were to wager, I'd place my bet on a lot of sand"

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah attempts to stifle a laugh as she waits for Dennel to continue. Moments later, a loud peal of laughter escapes her, despite her best efforts. "I think you win."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Unearthing a temple of hell in a desert? What could possibly go wrong?
Gryne looks at the Venture Captain.
What is your charge of us Captain?
Glancing at his books Gryne thinks to himself;I hope we don't have to read those

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

she thought that was funny, guess she can't be too bad


Hamshanks nods to Hadassah curtly, but his answer is to James. "What happened, gunslinger, is that the Society got lucky. A Pathfinder agent named Zahra was making her way across the Qadiran highlands. Sandstorms regularly scour the area, and this time they emptied an entire valley of dunes. Poking out of that valley, visible only to those soaring above—such as a flying Pathfinder wizard—was the lofty spire of a fortress made of brilliant red slickstone."

Hamshanks pulls out a map of Qadira and points to a low mountain ridge south and east of the town of Dimayen. "Hopefully we are the first to learn about its reappearance and we need to act fast. The Decemvirate doesn’t expect any trouble, so they’re sending you novices to take a look.

"But I do expect trouble—as you say, creature: who knows what’s infesting that citadel? Get in there without attracting the attention of the locals, and be careful not to set off any traps. I want you to uncover whatever history of the place you can and find that idol—it could be the key to the entire cult. It’s likely statue-sized, maybe as big as me, and should have a bull’s head on it. And for Gorum’s sake be careful.

You can purchase anything you can afford, either in Absalom, or in Sedeq, the slave-and-spice capital of southern Qadira.

Hadassah:

Knowledge (history) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Hamshanks' description of Qadiran history is crude, but generally correct. The Qadiran church of Sarenrae persecuted all manner of cults for centuries.
Knowledge (planes)1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29
Moloch is the general of the armies of Hell. His sword is named Ramithaine and his battleaxe Goreletch. Moloch is one of the most likely archfiends to answer the call of mortal supplicants. He has numerous well-established cults around Golarion to this day, who gain power in exchange for burning their children alive.

Venture Captain Amari Li stops you as you ready yourself to leave the Lodge.

"There are rumors about the Citadel, dark whispers in the history of Qadira. Please, for the Lantern Lodge, find out if is it true that forces loyal to the Satrap of Qadira killed everyone, both the innocent and guilty, in the Citadel those three hundred years ago.

"Also, if you find any who are loyal to Moloch, and hostile to the wishes of the Satrap, I ask that you leave them go in peace. The Trade Prince has offended some of my servants of late, and I would have him know that we, too, can be a thorn in his side."

Gryne:

Knowledge (planes)1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Moloch is the general of the armies of Hell. "All who burn join the armies of Moloch," as the chant goes. In addition to being one of the most destructive powers in Hell, Moloch is one of the most likely archfiends to answer the call of mortal supplicants. He has numerous well-established cults around Golarion to this day. Desperate people receive rain for their crops, security for their towns, if they turn to Moloch.

On your way out of the lodge, Venture Captain Adril Hestram calls you to a private conference.

"The Society needs a few quick successes, to buoy up morale. This Citadel of Flame presents just such an opportunity: Moloch’s ancient cult was renowned for its knowledge of the Plane of Fire, and we suspect that the cultists knew much about the connections between this realm and Golarion’s deserts. If you find any maps or keys to these portals, take them or copy them, so that our experts can study them.

"But that is not all. This cult was famously secretive, and the story of Moloch remains shrouded in mystery. If any of the cultists remain, or if any have returned, persuade them to tell you his history. It will be a most illuminating story for the Chronicles.

Maximo:

Knowledge (religion)1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Sarenrae is the state church of Qadira, and has been so for centuries. In truth, the goddess's worship there has taken strange shifts. Everywhere else, for example, Sarenrae is vigilant against all forms of forced servitude, but in Qadira, she turns a blind eye to one of the most robust slave trading centers in Golarion.

On your way to the ship waiting at the Absalom docks, you are accosted by an attractive young woman wearing a small pin in the shape of a lion rampant, the symbol of the Lion Blades of Taldor. She asks to see your magnificent weapon, and admires it a great deal. Upon its return, you find a message folded up next to it in its scabbard.

"Hand of the Empire,

"The Emperor wishes you luck on your venture into the land of our hated enemies. Whispers of this Citadel of Flame, and the Qadirans’ assault upon it, have tantalized us for centuries. Rumors that the Qadiran forces massacred even the innocents of the Citadel have long persisted, but without proof. Seek what evidence you can inside the Citadel, so that we can undermine the Satrap’s image even amongst his subjects.

"Moreover, it may be that the Citadel is still occupied, either by a new force or the old cult. In either case, these are undoubtedly pests to the Satrap, and perhaps even his disloyal subjects. Defeat these residents as you must, but if you should find any who wish Qadira harm, let them go free to foment more unrest in the hornet’s nest of Qadira.

"For Emperor and Empire,
"Baron Jacquo Dalsine"

Moulini:

Knowledge (local)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
You've known of people from the town of Dimayen. Three years ago, the irrigation canals of the farming community collapsed, and the sands of the desert have begun to encroach upon the town, claiming outlying buildings and farmsteads. Merchant caravans are no longer stopping there to barter their wares, because the populace -- now down to 5000 -- cannot afford them. Recent investigations have revealed that the source of the town's troubles is an ankheg infestation.

On your way through the streets of Absalom, towards the docks, a halfling wearing the livery of Paracountess Dralneen approaches and hands you a letter in a black envelopesealed in chalk-white wax. The letter inside reads:

"Her Majestrix’s Most Loyal Servant,

"Sometimes even we who have mastered the techniques of persuasion and fear can learn from others. This so-called cult of Moloch exerted such a bewitching influence on its members that our scholars wish to study their techniques in exquisite detail and learn from Moloch’s example. If you should find a replica statue of the archdevil within the Citadel of Flame— or perhaps have one made—return it to our scholars, so that we may weave his tricks into our own subtle charms.

"Legend also holds that the Citadel itself bound its pilgrims even more tightly through a clever ceremony. If the ritual elements remain, subject yourself to them, but do not fall prey to Moloch’s temptations—we need you in our service here, not in Hell. Bring your bewitched mind to us for study. Perhaps I will do so myself, in private.

"Paracountess Zarta Dralneen"

James:

On your trip out of Absalom, a young girl offers to sell you a small flag of Taldor, for luck. Inside the flagpole is a rolled-up note.
"Hand of the Empire,

"The Emperor wishes you luck on your venture into the land of our hated enemies. Whispers of this Citadel of Flame, and the Qadirans’ assault upon it, have tantalized us for centuries. Rumors that the Qadiran forces massacred even the innocents of the Citadel have long persisted, but without proof. Seek what evidence you can inside the Citadel, so that we can undermine the Satrap’s image even amongst his subjects.

"Moreover, it may be that the Citadel is still occupied, either by a new force or the old cult. In either case, these are undoubtedly pests to the Satrap, and perhaps even his disloyal subjects. Defeat these residents as you must, but if you should find any who wish Qadira harm, let them go free to foment more unrest in the hornet’s nest of Qadira.

"For Emperor and Empire,
"Baron Jacquo Dalsine"

[spoiler="Shel"]
Knowledge (local)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Sedeq is an opulent city in the middle of the desert, run by slavers. Every slave that serves a noble in Qadira spends time in Sedeq, training for a host of duties, from heavy labor to musical instruments to surgery. The name of the taskmaster responsible for a sedeqi slave is tattooed at the base of the skull.

On your way out of town, an elderly man asks if you've seen his grand-daughter. "This is what she looks like," he says, showing you a scrap of paper. It's a crude drawing of a young girl. Later, holding the image over a candleflame, a message appears:

"Hand of the Empire,

"The Emperor wishes you luck on your venture into the land of our hated enemies. Whispers of this Citadel of Flame, and the Qadirans’ assault upon it, have tantalized us for centuries. Rumors that the Qadiran forces massacred even the innocents of the Citadel have long persisted, but without proof. Seek what evidence you can inside the Citadel, so that we can undermine the Satrap’s image even amongst his subjects.

"Moreover, it may be that the Citadel is still occupied, either by a new force or the old cult. In either case, these are undoubtedly pests to the Satrap, and perhaps even his disloyal subjects. Defeat these residents as you must, but if you should find any who wish Qadira harm, let them go free to foment more unrest in the hornet’s nest of Qadira.

"For Emperor and Empire,
"Baron Jacquo Dalsine"

Azatoth:

Knowledge (dungeoneering) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
You're not sure what sort of dangers to expect in such a place, but your training would suggest traps, undead, and constructs to be likely.

On your way to the docks, a man, stooped with age, almost runs into you. He makes his apologies and rushes away. Before you can call after him, a message issues forth from the air around you. Listen closely, for it shall not be repeated.

"Honored Subject of the Ruby Prince,

"The Ruby Prince is a master of ancient lore, but some mysteries are buried so deep that his servants must uncover them. This Citadel of Flame presents just such an opportunity: Moloch’s ancient cult was renowned for its knowledge of the Plane of Fire, and we suspect that the cultists knew much about the connections between this realm and Golarion’s deserts. If you find any maps or keys to these portals, take them or copy them, so that our experts can study them.

"But that is not all. This cult was famously secretive, and the story of Moloch remains shrouded in mystery. If any of the cultists remain, or if any have returned, persuade them to tell you his history. It will be a most illuminating story for the Ruby Prince, and it will no doubt aid him in his quest for allies to rebuild Osirion’s glory."

EDIT: The spoilers now contain all of your faction missions, as well as any information you might already know about these matters.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

We are not expecting any resistance, but what can we expect to find in Dimayen? Followers of Moloch? Do we have allies there or a guide?

Gryne strokes his beard of any loose crumbs and thinks; I have had my fill of religious fanatics, especially those worshiping an archfiend like Moloch

And what of the statue? Shall we destroy it?


'Not in Dimayan, no. We do have a safe house in Sedeq, if you need such a thing. I will give you the address before you leave. And no, the Society wants you to return with the statue, in as few pieces as possible. What good would it be, if we broke into forgotten tombs and demolished everything we found?"

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

"I have only two questions. First, may I bring Hank, my pony? Second, when do we depart? I saw some lovely desert clothing on my way here."

Edit: Purchasing 2 hot weather outfits, 1 extra water skin, just to be safe.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Note to self...do not smash statue.

My question concerning the statue is, does it have any magical abilities or curses tied to it?

Looking at Hadassah,
I will also require some additional resources


I lost Shel's mission. I found it, inside James'. (Sorry to forget a close-spoiler command.

Shel:

Knowledge (local)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Sedeq is an opulent city in the middle of the desert, run by slavers. Every slave that serves a noble in Qadira spends time in Sedeq, training for a host of duties, from heavy labor to musical instruments to surgery. The name of the taskmaster responsible for a sedeqi slave is tattooed at the base of the skull.

On your way out of town, an elderly man asks if you've seen his grand-daughter. "This is what she looks like," he says, showing you a scrap of paper. It's a crude drawing of a young girl. Later, holding the image over a candleflame, a message appears:

"Hand of the Empire,

"The Emperor wishes you luck on your venture into the land of our hated enemies. Whispers of this Citadel of Flame, and the Qadirans’ assault upon it, have tantalized us for centuries. Rumors that the Qadiran forces massacred even the innocents of the Citadel have long persisted, but without proof. Seek what evidence you can inside the Citadel, so that we can undermine the Satrap’s image even amongst his subjects.

"Moreover, it may be that the Citadel is still occupied, either by a new force or the old cult. In either case, these are undoubtedly pests to the Satrap, and perhaps even his disloyal subjects. Defeat these residents as you must, but if you should find any who wish Qadira harm, let them go free to foment more unrest in the hornet’s nest of Qadira.

"For Emperor and Empire,
"Baron Jacquo Dalsine"

Akinra, see me over in the discussion thread.

"The ship to Sedeq sails at noon, in less than three hours."

"As for the statue, we do not know. It may be entirely ceremonial, or dormant, or manifesting Moloch's influence even as we speak. For all that, it may be only a rumor. If we knew, we would not need to send you."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Very well. Thank you Captain.

Gryne downs the rest of his coffee and heads toward the door.

I shall see you all at the ship, I must prepare for our journey

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

At first Maximo is only half-listening to the Venture Captain, as most of his attention is firmly planted upon James and Hadassah. Is that the first spark of something? He wonders as he hears her laughter over the young Taldoran's joke. Determined to foster Shelyn's blessings upon all people, he makes a mental note to see if this spark catches fire.

When Hamshanks mentions their destination, his eyes narrow in displeasure. Qadira is a rotten place. We should be wary of the locals as well as the dangers of the Citadel.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

Moulini being silent for since the start of the briefing more playing with her rapier then listening... after a short while grabs an empty cup and looks around...Coffee a little to bland for me... Moulini states to anyone who glances her way while putting something out the flask in to the cup... then quickly drinks it down.. also we keep what find right? Moulini adds with a wink as she walks out the door See you at the ship! never giving her name or who she is...


You have three hours in Absalom, four days aboard ship, and another three days overland on camels the Society provides you, till you find the valley you were searching for. Feel free to explain what your character would like to do during that time, as long as you don't tell us what anybody else's character does.

If you would like to do some research in the large city of Sedeq and/or the poor village of Dimayan, that would take an extra day, and there's the chance that it might draw unwanted attention to you and your goals, but it might provide valuable information, as well.

Gathering Information is a Diplomacy check. Shel and Maximo have the best chances to do well. One or more PC chooses a topic to investigate, he or she goes off to ask around, and anybody else can offer to assist. Under normal circumstances, assisting cannot possibly hurt the main roll, but each additional assistant raises the chances that the local word will spread about you. If you decide to go ahead with that, let me know and I'll make the dice rolls there, Sunday.

(It's traditional that I slow the PbP mechanics down on the weekend.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

Moulini spends the time polishing her Rapier... Chatting up the heros who'll listen and intro herself... and maybe a few evening performances with her flute... She's willing to assist as needed on checks...

Taldor

Ranger 2, Rogue 3 | HP 38/38 | AC 20/15 touch/16 flatfooted | F+8, R+13, W+7 | Init. +8 | Perc +11/+12| Evasion |

As the group boards the vessel, Shel tries to find ways to occupy herself. This mostly involved thinking over her mission details as often as possible. When the group took an opportunity to gather for a meal, Shel spoke about the mission. "Is there anything we need to find out information wise before we go looking for this temple? I've heard some things about Sedeq and I might be able to find someone willing to speak to me. I've got my techniques," she says with a grin.


Azatoth was silent during the briefing and not until everyone else has left the building, then he slowly rises up. It appears like he have been digesting all the info laid out to him, both from the captain as well as from his now to be companions.

"I thank you for the excellent ale Barkeep"

Azatoth then leaves the building to prepare for the journey.

Taldor

M Human Gunslinger 2 | 18/18 | 17 | T 14 | FF 13 | CMD 17 | F: +3 | R: +7 | W: +2 | Init +4 | Perc +7 Gunslinger 2

James spends a great deal of his time, complaining about both the smell of camels and Qadirans. When not riding one of the former foul beasts he attempts to repair his pistol (This is purely flavor, his weapon can not be repaired until he obtains 300gp).


Azatoth will spend most of his journey rather close to Hadassah due to feeling a natural bond to her.

While he sometimes may not be a man of many words, he still has interest in trying to learn to know his other companions too. So most of the trip he will socialize with the other people in the group.

Along with this he also does his routine... sharpening the large tooths with the back of his curved sword, which has been slightly modified to function as a fangfile.

Azatoth is also quite surprised to see such strange device as the thing James call pistol. He have never seen such thing during is life.

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Inquisitor/2 - | HP 18/18 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 |SR 7| CMD 14 | Fort +4 | Ref +3 | Will +7 | Init +6 | Perc +9 | Sense Motive +9 // Wand CLW - 44

Gryne resupplies his arrows and exchanges his cold weather gear for hot weather gear. Although he keeps his cold weather blanket as he felt sooooo cozy in it. After eating a hearty lunch he heads to the ship. Gryne boards the ship to see his companions gathering for the journey ahead.
He enjoys sharing stories with his party and the occasional flute performance by Moulini.

As necessary throughout the journey Gryne offers to create water for anyone that needs it and replenishes waterskins each night.

The camel ride proves to be an odd experience for Gryne and is overjoyed for the moments of walking and resting off of the horse.

When traveling through the city and village, Gryne asks of any creatures unique to the area (Monster Lore), with the utmost amount of subtlety a dwarf can muster.

Lantern Lodge

Female Human Druid (2) Menhir Savant

Hadassah will assist with anything she is asked to help with, however; being a tiefling, she will in general warn the group, "If our goal is subtlety, bringing a short, red skinned, winged, horned, woman with you may not be the best of ideas. People tend to remember such things."

Taldor

Human Paladin of Shelyn 5 / Arcane Duelist Bard 1 / Grenadier Alchemist 2 | AC 20 FF 19 T 13 | HP 62/62 | F +13 R +12 W +12 | Init +1 | Perception +5

Maximo had been to Qadira before. At least he thought he had. His memory was not the sharp weapon it once was. Still, he knew that travelling in the desert required certain trappings. But first he needed to see a certain pretty clerk about a favor. 

A half-hour later Maximo strode out into the city with a newly crafted wand of healing tucked into his belt. On his the way to the docks, he made a few other stops. First, the essentials - he spent a good hour at his tailor's, and another at a tavern tasting fine wines. Then, he spent about a quarter of an hour in the market to pick up a few last minute supplies: food, water, alchemist's fire, and arrived at the ship shortly before departure.

On the voyage Maximo talks to everyone - from swab to captain he treats everyone with the same respect. He spends most of his time telling glorious stories of Taldor's history, often including his own role in certain events. They border on being tall tales, but he delivers them with an entertaining bravado and buffoonery. Anyone with a solid knowledge of history notices inconsistencies in his stories (for instance, he often refers to the Satrap of Qadira as the Sultan of Qadira). By the time the ship reaches its destination some will likely have come to the conclusion that Maximo isn't quite playing with a full Harrow deck. 

When the Ship docks in Qadira he steps ashore in a brilliant white linen robe cut in the local style to protect against the sun, complete with a long headwrap. If he is trying to blend in the sound of chainmail and greatsword still slung over his shoulder spoil the effect. Then, as if those weren't enough, his first comments pretty much banish all doubt like an imp hearing a holy word.

Maximo takes a deep breath through his nose. Ah. Smell that? That, my friends, is the sweet stink of jasmin, frankincense, and tyranny! Welcome to Qadira!

Maximo will happily stay multiple days, chatting up the locals for information until the rest of the group drags him away.

Shadow Lodge

Female Human

Mouilin would be sure to remind every on that time is of essence... once we arrive in the port...

1 to 50 of 707 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Mortika's "Citadel of Flame" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.