Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Monster of the Week: Nexus Nixes

Game Master Darkfire142

One would think the small City of Yorkton in the middle of Canada would be a boring place to live. But when a city is built on a Nexus of ley lines it becomes a place rife with supernatural activity, it is the citizens of the city that are caught in the crossfire. But there are some that make a stand against the troubles and seek to both protect the city from that which threatens it and face down the ambitious powers who wish to use the Nexus for their own end. You are those people.


1 to 50 of 247 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Show Teaser

The show begins in a dark night as the light of the moon shines down on a frozen lake, giving it a vague illumination. The camera pulls back until you see what appears to be a Grey Ford Focus at the edge of the lake. Standing near it are four figures dressed in winter coats, wearing ski masks and winter caps as appropriate for a cold night in March. By their clothing it appears to be a pair of men and a pair of women. Its hard to tell their ages under their disguises but none of them are particularly tall or well built.

One of the men speaks, "It has been arranged. We merely have to send this vehicle below the ice and the authorities will see it as an accident. We will be free to complete the plan without outside intervention."

The woman next to him says, "But what about the Effigy? We cannot delay too much longer to banish it to a place beyond the reach of others. If the Effigy gets free, it will kill and if it is undone..."

The man raises his hand to silence her and says, "The Wards we placed will hold the Effigy for now. We must wait until the stars are right before we can guarantee that it can be sent where it can never return from but also will not be destroyed by any outside forces. Then we shall be free of that which chained us forever. Now let us complete this plan and return quickly to our homes to set up our proper alibis."

There is a nod between them as they in-cant together a spell that causes the car to roll out onto the ice. Eventually after getting far enough, the man who spoke waves his hand and in-cants arcane words that cause the ice to collapse sending the car sinking into the depths of the lake.

The camera then pulls back quickly as it flies away from the scene and then jump cuts to a forest. There is a picture of what might be a bear cave. Some red arcane symbols are carved into the rocks as well as on a stone in the ground.

The camera pans to a person dressed head to toe in blood red robes highlighted with wreathes of blackened thorns, their face obscured in the darkness of the robe. Its impossible to tell if it is a man, woman or something else. The robed figure points its gloved hand and utters a spell in a dark inhuman voice. Suddenly the wards flare and then burn into the stone turning black instead of maintaining their reddish colour. The camera them pans to the dark cave as the camera goes black and there is a terrible roar of a monster that is heard.

The Title Screen flashes!

Monster of the Week: Nexus Nixes!

Silver Crusade

Our adventure begins on a sunny Saturday morning in March as the weather has warmed somewhat considerably from the night before. The City is fairly quiet on the surface as school is out and most people have a break from work except those in the service industry of course.

Big news in the paper today that a vehicle was pulled from York Lake this morning. Inside the car was the body of Andrew Campbell, promant football player for the Yorkton Raiders, model student and the son of the wealthy Leland Campbell, prominent lawyer in the City of Yorkton. An investigation is ongoing but as of yet, there is few signs of foul play and the victim appears to have died by drowning.

In other news the body of a hiker Dan Harbuz was found. The cause of death is under investigation but the police have yet to put out a statement but will do so once the investigation is complete.

Anyway lets get the players involved in the case.

Eugene ‘Tin Man’ Caldwell, your pick up on tweets and social media reports on both cases. Being a conspiracy nut, your instincts tune into these unfolding cases. You can use your "Connect the Dots" to potentially get some holds to use during the mystery although you don't have any crime scene photos yet as those haven't been released to the public. You do get info that Dan Holbez was a man who did odd off the grid jobs to earn a few bucks and sought to save money by living off the land rather than in a home. Thus even in the winter he was known to sleep in tents and hike around the area. He was skilled at living in the wilderness and also a very physically fit individual. Friendly enough to others, always willing to lend a hand to lost tourists and campers.

Joe Arden as for your character, you're working in your shop on Saturday where you had a rather restless night. You felt upon the wind that a powerful amount of magic has been tapped from the ley lines and some potent magical effect has been unleashed. Something feels off with the magical flow today. Not enough to be any form of world-threatening phenomenon but enough to sense that the lines of power have been weakened slightly, although will likely recover quickly.

Edgard Falk, you've just left the electronics store after buying some electrical supplies. As you're walking back to your car you suddenly start to lose your bearings and find yourself standing in a shadowy wooded area surrounded by strange gnarled trees, toadstools and thorny bushes. You then hear a voice from behind you in a Mischievous voice, "Why hello there Falky boy. Taking a little trip I see for your dodads and thingiemabombs.". Falk cringes and turns around seeing Finch the Teg perched on a branch of a gnarled tree, his yellow eyes like a cat piercing the shadows and he gives a predatory amused grin with his sharpened teeth. "You won't have time to play with your little toys right now Falky boy. There is a game afoot, something very entertaining to us. Something foul and corrupt with the taint of suffering and the strength of torment. Now it would please the Erlking to see its rampage upon the world but he's seen that kind of entertainment before. What is more entertaining is to see you little mortals run around doing your goodie too shoe things to save their fellow men. Every villian needs a foil after all. Win or lose, it will be an entertain show to say the least. And you know how we like to be entertained by you mortal kind, tee he he. So how about it Falky? You up to play the game?"

Kyle White hears through word of mouth about the death of Andrew Campbell. Some say he got drunk and drove into the lake. Others say it was suicide although there is a large debate going on for Andrew was the football star of the Yorktown Raiders, and a model student although you also hear rumors that he also was somewhat of a bully on the less fortunate. In a city like this, a well known student ending up dead like this seems to hint at something else more sinister at work.

Maxwell Silver, you get a call from your agency on your Smartphone. Your handler, Mrs. Melnik is on the line. She says to him "Maxwell Silver, We have an unusual case for you to look into, regarding a strange death of a man by the name of Dan Harbuz. Picture is forthcoming on your phone." An image appears of a desiccated corpse. The man appears to have had the muscles of his arms and legs ripped out of his body. A mask of horror is across his face, as though he saw something absolutely terrifying. She then continues, "The Bulwark is interested in the kind of creature that was responsible for this action. Gather intelligence on the creature and if possible photographic evidence for our database. Afterwards, see to it the creature is neutralized by any means at your disposal. Can we trust that you can handle this case swiftly and discreetly?"


"Finch, I guess I should've used to your surprises," Edgard sighs and asks a rhetorical question. "Do I have a choice?"

Silver Crusade

Finch chuckles at the question, swings on a branch and lands acrobatically in front of Edward Falk, giving a sinister grin with his wide teeth, "Oh you always have a choice Falky boy! What's free will without the will to use it? Tee he he. So if you don't want to play the game, there is no hard feelings. You can go and play with your little gizmos and whatsits, while the baddie rampages across the this land causing all kinds of trouble. If you can accept the guilt and shame that you could have done something and live with the consequences, then all the best for you Falky!"

Ok lets start the first roll of the game. I'm going to have Edward Falk Read a Bad situation roll. Its a 2d6 + Sharp roll. If 10+ you hold 3, on a 7-9 you hold 1 and 6 or less I get a hard move against you.


Read a Bad Situation: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (5, 3) + 1 = 9 Okay. So I hold 1 and get to ask a question from the Keeper. Hm... "What’s my best way in?"

Silver Crusade

Well the question you ask have to make sense. What is the best way into what exactly? What are you trying to get into? Otherwise chose something that makes sense for the situation.


Charm +2 Cool +0 Sharp -1 Tough +1 Weird +1 | Moves: Opps!, Let's Get Out of Here, The Power of Heart Mundane | Hunters

"Aw man. That's terrible. Isn't there also a game tomorrow." Kyle was out with friends and had stopped to get some frozen maple syrup, it was pretty good actually, when one of the group popped the bad news after looking at his phone. Immediately he starts asking for details. Then he sees Edgard walking on the other side of the street. He bids the others farewell and walks over. He notices that his friend seems to have zoned out completely in the middle of the sidewalk. He waves his hand in front of Edgard's face. "Hey man. You there?"

Maybe not right now but want to use Oops! to stumble upon something important.

Silver Crusade

Indeed if Edgard is seen, he looks like he's zoning out. One of his dark sides is Hallucinations so basically he's in his own little world.

As for the Oops, Kyle White appears to bump into something when he moves in front of Edgard. He bumps into an invisible Finch, forcing him to sidestep to make way for Kyle. Finch loses concentration of his invisibility for a moment causing an hazy outline of a humanoid figure to appear (Sort in the veins of a predator-vision) for a moment before Finch is able to hide himself again and vanishes completely. He gives a dirty look at Kyle but restrains an urge to claw him, not wanting to give away his position.


Playbooks. Hunter Worksheet

Dotting for now. Post to come later.


The Flake Average Fit Human Male
Stats:
Charm +1, Cool -1, Sharp +2 ,Tough +1, Weird 0

Connect the Dots: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 4) + 2 = 12

This mean I get 3 holds, So how do holds work? Is a hold a pause in the game where I can interject one of the questions from my character sheet or do all the questions need to be asked at the on set?

Silver Crusade

The way the holds work is it provides you with a pool you can draw on in order to get answers during the mystery. You have to use them though at points that it is appropriate to the mystery, which means you have to actually gather some facts about the case before you can "Connect the Dots" so to speak.


Charm +2 Cool +0 Sharp -1 Tough +1 Weird +1 | Moves: Opps!, Let's Get Out of Here, The Power of Heart Mundane | Hunters

Kyle felt something bump against his leg and reflexively apologies. He turns in the direction he thought the bystander would be but sees no one. Well that wasn't completely true. Out of the corner of his eye he saw something. Something his mind didn't immediately register. He does a couple double takes, looking around the spot he thought he saw it, but it did not enter his vision again. "Okay."


The Flake Average Fit Human Male
Stats:
Charm +1, Cool -1, Sharp +2 ,Tough +1, Weird 0

Eugene scours the internet for unofficial pictures of what happened around Yorkton the previous night.

Maybe I can follow Andrew's movement's via social media pictures, or the random dumb pictures people are always taking of themselves. Who wants that many images of themselves and then to put it up where everyone you know and don't know can see it. Also, Dan may have like the solitude of the woods but I wonder if whoever found him may have snapped and unofficial picture of him before they called the man out to pick him up.


Playbooks. Hunter Worksheet

Chilly.

This was the first thing that Joe thought when he woke up in the morning. The floor is cold.

He staggered to the kitchen and got a soda from the fridge, which he immediately drank down. The old man never let me have soda He chuckled at the thought, which turned into a loud belch.

I have to get to work. Something wierd was happening last night, and I garuantee that someone is going to knock on my door this morning with an odd tale.

Joe grabbed another soda and took it into the bathroom, where he showered, shaved, and got dressed.

Finally sure that he was ready to face the day, he locked his apartment door and walked across the square to his small office. He unlocked the door, straightened the brochures with titles like The Interconnected Consciousness and You! and Are you a Psychic? Here are ten steps to discover your Inner Walker that were fanned out on a table near the door, and made his way inside. He set up his table and began burning the incense that was as much part of the act as everything else.

He then got changed: Black slacks, a white button down shirt with the sleeves rolled above the elbow, and a black vest over the shirt. For the piece-de-resistance, he added a silver pocketwatch that he got from a pawn shop two floors over.

When everything was ready, he turned the sign to OPEN and then sat at the table to wait...


Zaitherin wrote:
Well the question you ask have to make sense. What is the best way into what exactly? What are you trying to get into? Otherwise chose something that makes sense for the situation.

"What’s my best way in?" - What's the best way to handle it? If not, then "Are there any dangers I haven’t noticed?"


The Professional

"Can we trust that you can handle this case swiftly and discreetly?"

"Affirmative, ma'am," answered Maxwell in a steady tone as he stared at the image on his phone. It was a horrific mess, but horrors didn't faze him much anymore. "I'd like access to any relevant data we have on the victim, especially a postmortem analysis of the body if one's been conducted yet. Estimated time of death and any information circulating within the police department might also be useful."

Would you like me to roll Sharp for that ("when you deal with the Agency")? I'll let you roll for me if you'd like to save time; Sharp is -1.

Maxwell sets the phone down as he dresses himself for a hike through the woods. The phone is on speaker, but the walls of his bedroom are soundproof, and there are no windows in it: a necessary precaution given his occupation. As he tugs on his shirt, Maxwell adds, "The news report didn't mention where the body was found. I'd like to start there if you can tell me."

Pausing, Maxwell looked at the wall where he'd hung a small memento: a series of feathers and beads of purportedly magical significance that was supposed to bring good luck to the owner. He didn't believe a lick of it, but buying a trinket of Arden's had been a good way to thank him for the help before...

"And am I correct to assume this will be a solo operation?"

Silver Crusade

2d6 - 1 ⇒ (6, 1) - 1 = 6 Deal with the agency for Agent Silver.

Ok Silver did fail the roll and get an experience point Agent Silver. Still as you really didn't ask for anything unreasonable you won't burn and bridges with your agency. However they'll basically leave the investigation to Silver and if he wants support he'll have to make another Deal with the Agency roll to get it. Here is the response Silver gets.

"Agent Silver, the body has only recently been found and a postmortem has not been done yet. As for the body it was found in the Ravine Ecological Preserve. I will ping your cell phone on the location on where the body was found. The higher ups wish to gauge your investigation skills thus you will be solo on this mission. The Board wishes for you to handle most of the investigation details on your own to gauge your efficiency in field work. As usual keep the true details of the case to yourself and the Bulwark. The Board wants to asses your skills in the field thus has requested we provide minimum support on this. I trust you have the skills to deal with any eventuality correct?"

As for Edgard Falk, the more appropriate question is "Are there any dangers I haven't noticed?". And the answer to that is a definite yes! Finch is giving you the illusion of choice in this matter. You certainly can refuse to do the job but if you do so you risk the ire of the Unseelie Court and upsetting the font that grants you power is a dangerous game. They probably won't kill you but well you might be more Tormented by hallucinations and nightmares and your Magical Rolls might fail or backfire at an inopportune times. That's why I made you roll a Read a Bad Situation, as it was a check to see if you realized the Bad Situation you're in.

Eugene, using computers, social media and connections online to get information on a case is a Net Friends roll to see if you can find the right connections to give you the information gain access to non-public case data.


"Finch, how can I refuse when you put it like this?" Edgard shows him a forced smile. "What's the game and what are the rules? I'll be happy to play."

Well, even without the roll I wouldn't have refused. How else would we get in troubles?


The Flake Average Fit Human Male
Stats:
Charm +1, Cool -1, Sharp +2 ,Tough +1, Weird 0

Net Friends: 2d6 + 1 ⇒ (6, 2) + 1 = 9

Silver Crusade

Ok, Eugene you're able to get someone personal info as Dan did have a facebook account. While he lived off the land, he did occasionally make use of public Wi-Fi to put some pictures up of himself. He appears to be a tough looking mountain man, built like truck, he's definitely a guy worked out for a living. He also get a crime scene photo of the body, where he sees that the muscles of his arms and legs have been ripped out and a mask of terror is on his face. As for Andrew, all you get is his facebook page, where he put some photos up of his activities, including one of him standing next to his car, holding up a set of keys in one and giving a thumbs up in the other. However as Eugine only got a 7-9, that's the limit you'll get at the moment and you're going to have take more time in order to get further information. You're going to have to do some field work to get further details on the situation more quickly.


The Professional

Alright, I suppose I'll mark XP for a failed roll.

Maxwell is quiet for a moment before he answers, "I'll let my results determine the answer to that question. Agent Silver out." The old man ended the call and rubbed his forehead. Business as usual.

He didn't rush out of his apartment door, first stopping in the kitchen to have a quick breakfast of milk, eggs, and fruit before gathering his equipment: a flashlight, a knife, his pistol, a protein bar, a bottle of water... Pausing, Maxwell stared at the picture on his phone yet again, at the body.

With no post-mortem analysis, Maxwell had to come to his own conclusions. The muscles on the victim seemed to have just been ripped out, inside-out even, and Maxwell wondered whether that was a deed of pure strength or of magic. He hadn't been eaten, so the monster didn't act out of hunger. Was it intelligent...?

Frankly, this was exactly the situation that would normally call for a whole team. As it was, Maxwell felt his life was being treated as a little too expendable for the purpose of testing him. One wrong move and he'd be dead. He needed help.

His decision made, Maxwell grabbed the last two thing he needed: his camera. It had no online connection, unlike his phone, so it wouldn't send the photos he took to the internet and would have to be delivered to one of the Bulwark's offices, but it involved less risk of someone with the right tools getting the information. As he neared the door, Maxwell thought about the body one last time, frowning.

Just in case, he decided, and opened the wall safe in which he kept his most dangerous equipment. He removed from it his C7A2 assault rifle, and he broke it down so it fit neatly inside his old guitar case.

Just in case.

I'm going to assume Silver doesn't have a vehicle of his own, since that's something I'd need to pick during character creation.

--------------------

The bus ride to Arden's shop didn't take very long. Mr. Silver, as everyone who knew him called him, smiled and spoke with a few other passengers about the weather, then the locale happenings, and then the deaths of those two young folks last night. Yes, very tragic. No, he didn't know Campbell personally. He wished their families comfort and God's blessings.

As he stepped off the bus, Silver thought about what the Agency might think if they knew what he was about to do. Chances were that his phone had a tracking device and they'd know where he was at the very least. Nevertheless, if he had to choose between being chewed out by the Agency and being chewed up by a monster, Maxwell knew what he preferred.

And so, as he stepped in through the door and the little bell overhead rang to alert the proprietor to his presence, Silver smiled across at the casually but neatly dressed Mr. Arden.

"Good morning, Joe," he said with a smile. "How's business been so far today? And do you mind if I set this down?" Silver held his guitar case up.

Silver Crusade

Assume that you can own a vehicle if you've got a source of income. If you want something flashy which has additional features and game effects you'll need to take Mobility from the Professional move list which gives you a souped up vehicle that has additional features. Its unreasonable to think in these days most people don't own some kind of transportation.


The Flake Average Fit Human Male
Stats:
Charm +1, Cool -1, Sharp +2 ,Tough +1, Weird 0

After seeing the gruesome end to Dan Eugene's stomach turned a little bit and he had to hold down the coffee he was sipping with a little more force than normal.

I don't think I'll ever get used to dismemberment. How does a man that big get that scared. I guess the next stop is the morgue. Eugene thought

Eugene finished his coffee packed his laptop in his standard going out mailbag a left this apartment. Got into his sedan and drove over to the morgue.

I'm assuming the morgue is a place Eugene would know how to get to. How difficult it is to see a body on the other hand, I assume the keeper will enlighten me.

Silver Crusade

Yes, Eugene can easily figure out the City Morgue is at the Yorkton Municipal Building. As it is a small city, the morgue is located in the main police department. Of course getting in to see the bodies in person and/or speak to someone who knows forensics will involve some roleplaying.


Playbooks. Hunter Worksheet

Joe perked up when he heard the doorbell ring.

"Good morning Silver."

When asked about the case, Joe will point to an area between two bookshelves and say "You can set it there, it's out of the way."

Joe will then offer Silver some coffee from a plug-in pot in the back, then move to the front door and flip the little Open sign to Reading in Progress. Please wait outside, then return to his seat and say "So, what can I help you with?"


The Flake Average Fit Human Male
Stats:
Charm +1, Cool -1, Sharp +2 ,Tough +1, Weird 0

Eugene collects his mailbag and pulls out his trusty clip board and paper. He approaches the building reading the signage looking for the fastest route to the morgue.

Nothing like a clip board to make me seem official.

Eugene would prefer to find an entrance to the morgue from the street directly but otherwise will go through the police main entrance if needed.


The Professional

Good to know, Zaith. I'll assume Max just chose to take the bus because... reasons, this time, but later on he'll use a car or something.

"Business," Silver says as he accepts the cup of coffee with a grateful nod. He sits on down in front of Joe, his expression rather serious. "You and I have been around the magic block together a couple times before. I'd like you to help me out again, and I'm willing to pay you for your time.

"Tell me, do you watch the news? A hiker by the name of Dan Harbuz was found dead this morn, muscles pulled out of his body - very unnatural, and certainly not the work of an animal or thug." The old man takes a sip from his coffee, sets the cup back down, and folds his hands together. "I plan on finding and killing the monster responsible for this, and I'd like you to help me."


Charm +2 Cool +0 Sharp -1 Tough +1 Weird +1 | Moves: Opps!, Let's Get Out of Here, The Power of Heart Mundane | Hunters

So...Edgard?


Kyle White wrote:
So...Edgard?
Edgard Falk wrote:

"Finch, how can I refuse when you put it like this?" Edgard shows him a forced smile. "What's the game and what are the rules? I'll be happy to play."

Well, even without the roll I wouldn't have refused. How else would we get in troubles?


Playbooks. Hunter Worksheet

"Well, that's certainly straightforward." Joe pauses thoughtfully for a moment and then adds "Of course, I'll be happy to help. I had some rather....visceral dreams last night, and there's something off with the dragon lines here. Are you familiar with the concept of dragon lines?"


The Professional

Maxwell's response to the question is a rather telling, blank stare.


Playbooks. Hunter Worksheet

"The term dragon line is Chinese; They've also been called ley lines. The best way to think of them is like magical energy superhighways. They allow anyone who has supernatural power to, well, be more powerful. They crisscross the planet, and places where they meet tend to lead to interesting supernatural legends, because monsters are incredibly attracted to them, the same as people who work magic or have psychic powers. Such intersections are called nexuses, in the parlance of those who work magic. Yorkton, for your point of reference, has several nearby nexuses, making it a frighteningly potent area."

Joe gets up, goes and gets a refill, then sits back down and continues.

"The reason all of this is relevant is that someone drew alot of power from one of the local nexuses last night. Enough so that I bet anyone with even a little bit of psychic sensitivity had wierd dreams or nightmares. Something bad is either here or will be soon. The trick is to figure out what and where."

Joe smirks and says "That's part of the reason I run this shop. When people experience something supernatural, assuming it doesn't kill them, their subconscious tends to blank out the memory, or they remember it as someone else; a large, hairy man with knives, instead of a werewolf. Eventually, however, they come see me and tell me about this weird dream they had, or something they saw. I tell them something vaguely psychic sounding to calm them down and then I go to work."

"So, what we need to do is to take a look at the body. I should be able to tell you if something magical was the cause of death. Ideally, however, I would need to get several hours alone with it to pinpoint the style of magic, but it shouldn't take me long to tell if magic was used in his death. Do you know anyone in the coroner's office?"

Silver Crusade

Finch says to Edgard, "Oh you know that we're not too much of a stickler for rules Falky. But a few ground quips I suppose are in order. The game is to find the beast and bring it to an end. I won't spoil what it is, after all the chase is all a part of the entertainment. But what can be told is that you will be able to win by might alone. The more victims it claims, the stronger it becomes, so confronting it early will be an easier fight but without the means to unmake the creature it will not die. Oh yes, and follow the trail of victims, that's a good way to track down the beast. Make a good show of it Finchy, for we'll be keeping an eye on things as they happen. Good luck to you Finchy Boy, tee he he!"

With that he leaps off into branches and disappears. A moment later the dark forest fades out of view and finch finds himself in an alleyway with his friend Kyle White talking to him and trying to get his attention.


Making a deep breath Edgard looks around and sees Kyle waving in front of his face. Damn that Finch and his visions!
"Oh, hey Kyle, what's up?" Edgard starts slowly walking towards Joe's store. I could definitely use some help. I just have to lose Kyle somehow.

Silver Crusade

Indeed there is an alternate entrance to the Morgue, although the buildings are also interconnected. Eugine walks in disguised as a man with a clipboard. You enter the lobby of the morgue and see that there is a front desk area with an attendant there. The attendant appears to be a mid 30's man dressed in a lab coat with an ID badge giving the name Victor Marko. He looks fit but not like a serious body builder and is currently typing away on his desk computer but still occasionally looking up to see what's going on.

So Eugine, you have two choices. You can Act Under Pressure to see if you can sneak past the desk clerk unnoticed. Or you can Manipulate an NPC and attempt to bluff the Desk Clerk with a good story so he'll let you past without checking your ID. What do you do?


The Flake Average Fit Human Male
Stats:
Charm +1, Cool -1, Sharp +2 ,Tough +1, Weird 0

Eugene follows the signs into the morgue and enters the building.

Where does that put Eugene in the building? Morgue area of the building or in the police station proper?

Silver Crusade

It puts you in the morgue section of the building. The Morgue staff have their own entrance to the building. It is attached to the police station though so you can go down a hallway and enter the police station proper. As for the Morgue itself, that's in the basement of the building but first Eugine will have to sneak by or bluff his way past the Desk Clerk in order to get down into the morgue area. Being a small city, the Morgue and the Main Police station are attached to one another.


The Flake Average Fit Human Male
Stats:
Charm +1, Cool -1, Sharp +2 ,Tough +1, Weird 0

Thanks Zaitherin, I was thinking that might be the case I just wanted to make sure my assumptions were actually how things were laid out.

Eugene moves with authority past the clerk toward the room with the bodies paying no mind to the clerk content to only stop if confronted.

Silver Crusade

Ok that will be an Act Under Pressure roll to try and clipboard past the desk clerk without him noticing you. That's a 2d6+Cool roll. Act under pressure is the general "Do something that could be risky, consequential or threatening" roll. It is generally if no move applies but the Keeper feels there is some kind of risk by doing an action, in this case trying to sneak into a Morgue which legally is "Trespassing".


The Flake Average Fit Human Male
Stats:
Charm +1, Cool -1, Sharp +2 ,Tough +1, Weird 0

Act Under Pressure: 2d6 - 1 ⇒ (6, 4) - 1 = 9


Charm +2 Cool +0 Sharp -1 Tough +1 Weird +1 | Moves: Opps!, Let's Get Out of Here, The Power of Heart Mundane | Hunters

"Dude. You've been standing there with blank look on your face for," he looks at his watch, "three minutes. You okay?" Then he lowers his voice and leans in. "Are you on something?" He leans back and holds up his hands in defense. "Not judging. Just, you know, concerned. You've been, uh, distant recently, ever since that seance. Was that a cover for something else? Is there a drug called Seance now? Cause that's just silly."

Silver Crusade

Ok so a 7-9 is a partial success. You are able to sneak past the Desk Clerk and reach the stairwell or elevator that leads to the basement. The Desk Clerk seems pretty absorbed in his work at the moment and Eugene is able to walk past while his attention is away.

However as for the bad effect, I am giving you a worse outcome. As you walk down the stairs and confidently towards the morgue room, a burly looking police officer walks out from a corner hallway and. He gives Eugine a suspicious look walks up and says, "Hey you! I don't recognize you as an employee of this morgue or department. If you're an visitor, you should have a card and an escort. Who are you and what you you doing here?"

So there is your worse outcome, if you got caught upstairs you would just be stopped by the Desk Clerk. Now you're legitly trespassing. How are you going to handle this situation?

[ooc]Also made a mistake. Finch would have said Falky not Finchy[/b]


The Flake Average Fit Human Male
Stats:
Charm +1, Cool -1, Sharp +2 ,Tough +1, Weird 0

Eugene looks at the Police officer and confidently states.
I'm a police consultant from the university. My office was contacted earlier in connection to the Harbuz case. I'm down hear to examine the remains to identify the animal the mauled him.

See, It All Fits Together: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 4) + 2 = 7

Silver Crusade

Ok well a 7-9 on a Manipulate Roll. The officer looks at Eugene and says, "Ah so you're here for the Harbuz case. He just came in just a short time ago. Still as this is a serious case of death if I'm going to let you in, I'll need to see some ID to show you're from the university plus I'll need ask the coroner Haines if its alright for see the body. He's still in the process of doing some forensic testing."


The Professional

Again, sorry about my two day absence. It shouldn't happen again.

"I don't know anyone in the coroner's office," answers Maxwell, "and I don't believe my... associates are going to be helping us on this one." Maxwell frowns and leans on back in his seat, enjoying a good, long sip from his coffee. He thinks before he speaks again.

"However, there is something I can do. There's a sergeant working on the force, old guy, that might be able to get us a look at the body. However, he never does favors like that for free, and he doesn't always say 'yes.' He might be our best ticket in.

"Otherwise, I have a fake CSIS badge I confiscated on a previous case. If we dress smart and act sharp, we could get in that way - but I don't care for the consequences associated with impersonating a member of the Service.

"What's your opinion, Joe?"

Are those kinds of assumptions fine, Zaith? If not, I can fix that.


Playbooks. Hunter Worksheet

"Why don't you reach out to your friend on the force and see if he'll help us. It's probably going to take a while for me to gather everything I will likely need to perform the ritual anyway. I figure worst comes to worst we can try bribing the morgue attendant, but let's see where the carrot can get us first."


The Flake Average Fit Human Male
Stats:
Charm +1, Cool -1, Sharp +2 ,Tough +1, Weird 0

Eugene reaches into his bag and pulls out his school ID from his studies in the Anthropology department and shows it to the office.

I never thought being an on again off again grad student would have this kind of perk.


The Professional

"I'll give him a call. There's not much we can say over the phone, but he'll make clear whether he can help or not."

With that, Maxwell removes a phone from his pocket and steps over toward another side of the store. He makes the call.

Rolling Manipulate Someone. Maxwell is going to keep the message in a simple, coded phrase that he and the cop on the force both know. I'm assuming they've got a little rapport, but that their relationship isn't friendly - but full of bribes of some kind.

Manipulate: 2d6 - 1 ⇒ (2, 5) - 1 = 6


Kyle White wrote:
"Dude. You've been standing there with blank look on your face for," he looks at his watch, "three minutes. You okay?" Then he lowers his voice and leans in. "Are you on something?" He leans back and holds up his hands in defense. "Not judging. Just, you know, concerned. You've been, uh, distant recently, ever since that seance. Was that a cover for something else? Is there a drug called Seance now? Cause that's just silly."

"What? That's crazy, dude!" Edgard denies indignantly. "I've never used. Just lost in thoughts, I guess. Some personal stuff, you know."

"Look, I promised a friend I'd check his PC and some other stuff," he makes an excuse. "Can we talk some time later? But definitely today. Probably late, but today."

Silver Crusade

Ok I would expect a Flake would probably have some fake id's for this situation. This meets the requirement of the 7-9, as you had to provide proof when he demanded it. The police officer looks at the ID and nods, "Anthropology department huh. Didn't know your department would be interested in a murder case. I'll escort you to see the Coroner Haines and see if he's willing to allow you to take a look at the body."

He leads you through the basement into a room with a number of body cabinets, your typical coroner storage area. The police officer goes to a room labelled examination and knocks on the door and says, "Coroner Haines, its officer James Durant. We've got someone here from the University who says he's here as a consultant for the Harbuz case."

You hear a voice back, "Consultant? I didn't call for any consultation. I'm still in the process of performing an investigation of the body. Just wait there, I'll meet with you in a moment."

Officer Durant stands blocking the way in and eventually the door opens. A middle-aged looking gentleman, wearing doctor's scrubs and a plastic aprin and rubber gloves opens the door. He looks maybe in his late 40's but has a look of experience on his face.

Officer Durant gestures to Eugene and says, "I found this one walking around the basement without an Visitor ID or an escort. His Student ID checks out."

The Coroner looks at Eugene suspiciously and says, "So you are from the University are you? I can respect a man with educational needs but I do not recall approving any consultation. The forensics on the Harbuz case is still ongoing. Who exactly in our department called you in?"

Ok this will involve a Manipulate an NPC roll again to convince the Coroner that you're supposed to be there.

As for Agent Silver, you get an experience point. You call your police contact, Officer Raymond and give the code phrase. Unfortunately you burned bridges with him on the last case and he refuses to be of assistance. He gets a string of angry words followed by, "Ya better keep yourself far from the department after the crap you pulled Silver." and hangs up.

1 to 50 of 247 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Monster of the Week: Nexus Nixes All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.