Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Society


Starfinder


Starfinder Society

Midnight Mauler PFS#3-16 (tier 3-4) (Inactive)

Game Master lucklesshero

Stop a serial killer in Ustalav!


1 to 50 of 259 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>

male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes

The city of Ardis was once the crown jewel of Ustalav’s royal courts, but since the seat of government moved to Caliphas, its glory has long since waned. The former metropolis now plays host to deluded nobles and peasants alike, all running through hazy imitations of a life decades gone, insisting they still matter and that their glory has yet to diminish. But
more than social decay stalks the leaning towers and potholed streets of Ardis—a murderer lays claim to the city beneath the full moon. And to clear its name, the Pathfinder Society must stop it!

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 32/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

Dot!

Scarab Sages

HP 45/45; Reroll@+3 1/1; uRogue 6: (AC21 normally) Fort +5; Reflex +12; Will +5; Init +5; Perception +12; SM +10;

"A full moon murderer?" exclaims Bulgo.

"Perhaps I should invest in a silvered knife."

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)4, HP 40/40, F +4, R +9, W +4, AC 23, T 16, FF 17, Init +6(+8), Per +8, Panache 4/4

dot

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 32/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

Ustalav. Laiashi's next mission would mean a journey. She gathered up her things and made some contacts, trying to find out what awaits her there. The first two were useless, their information unlikely to be whatever it was the Society needed her for. But as the third lay his head on the pillow, he told her he had heard something about a murderer in the city of Ardis. That sounds more like it. She bade him a kiss and left.

Laiashi sits in a slow-moving caravan the Society had provided, trying to keep her mind occupied as it lumbers along. An attractive girl with hair the color of fire, she wears a white silk blouse and blue skirt to accentuate her hair. Black boots hug her slender calves. She has no weapons, but at her waist hangs a small pouch for supplies and gear.

Perception DC 23:
She definitely has weapons. A hand crossbow is hidden along one thigh, and (with a check of 25) numerous daggers can be seen in various places as well.

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 14, T 11, FF 13 CMD 12 | Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +7 | SM +15* | Spells Remaining: level 1 3/4 level 2 2/2 | Bardic Performance Rounds 10/16

Constantin is never thrilled to visit Ustalav. His gaunt frame, pronounced widow's peak and intense stare had led to... misunderstandings and mis-identifications in the past. Trying to avoid those as best he can, he's certain to pin his symbol of Sarenrae rather prominently to his chest. Perhaps I should get some garlic or something as well...

Still, despite the Dawnflower's sigil on his robes, Constantin's true allegiance is plain to see, with the Sigil of the Open Road proudly emblazoned on the banner he carries.

Constantin will basically always be providing a +1 morale bonus to attacks and damage to Pathfinders within 30', which stacks with the competence bonus he'll provide when orating. Other mechanical weirdnesses are that he has a +1 trait bonus to a number of skills and initiative while it is daytime, the *'d bonuses in the header include that bonus. He also has a familiar (Petros the bunny) that can use Guidance at-will, so I will typically assume that bonus is up if that's okay, GM.


male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes

A couple things before we get started, There will be two open post (hopefully both today). The first is a "look back" at you being assigned the mission by the Master of blades himself. You met him on the deck of a ship ready to set sail having no idea why you were summoned. The second opening post will be of you arriving at the River docks in Ardis where you'll be greeted by a fellow Pathfinder. The mission is such that you've had no time to buy supplies before boarding the ship. You'll have to manage with what you have on your character sheets for the moment. There should be opportunity to buy any equipment you may need in Ardis. But be warned. You're in a race against the clock on this one. GL HF


male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes

How it began.

The Pathfinder Society’s Master of Blades, Marcos Farabellus, rarely assigns missions himself. Rarer still do those orders come directly from the Decemvirate. “You bold few are in for a journey,” the towering wall of a man states. He rubs his beard for a few moments, as if physically searching it for the right words. “There’s a problem in Ustalav. An embarrassing one. Most of you have probably met Vonran Vilk, the old man who used to work in the library. He was the Master of Blades well before my time; the man lived more stories than you or I have even read. A few months back he returned to his homeland of Ustalav to write his memoirs for the Society. Something happened along the way. Now, a serial killer stalks Vilk’s hometown of Ardis, killing off all his old enemies. Under the full moon. I think you get the drift.

“Look. I’m not going to blow you a lot of smoke. Vilk defined what it meant to be a good man in his day. More importantly, he’s still got secrets buried up in that geriatric head of his that the Decemvirate doesn’t want spilled on the cobblestones by some superstitious Ardisian’s silver ax. Even worse, Ustalav sees the Pathfinder Society as a band of mercenaries and grave robbers. If anyone finds out that as prominent a Pathfinder as Vilk stalks their streets and murders their nobles as the man they’re calling the ‘Midnight Mauler,’ that might be enough excuse to have the entire Society expelled from Ardis’s borders without any debate.

“Ideally, you are to stop the murders without killing Vilk. But if push comes to shove, access to all the history of Ustalav outweighs any one man. Stop Vilk, whatever it takes. Our man in Ardis will meet you at the docks.”

OK so you'll have plenty of time on the boat to do research about your mission. The crew of the mid sized river boat is from Ustalav, so they may be helpful with knowledge local or Gather Info checks. Knowledge Geography is appropriate for Ustalav and Ardis in general. Marcos Farabellus, does not have answers to any of your questions( that's why he's sending you.) He instead suggest you save further questions for Ryado Erudyta, your Pathfinder contact in Ardis. It's a long journey to Ardis. In light of what little you've been briefed, is there anything else you'd like to research before you arrive? Please do opening introductions with yourselves and make any knowledge or gather info rolls you'd like ...before we do the second part of the opening.

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)4, HP 40/40, F +4, R +9, W +4, AC 23, T 16, FF 17, Init +6(+8), Per +8, Panache 4/4

Mykel stretched out on his bunk on the ship Isidore's Hope. He was finally getting a chance to relax. The constant moving around hurriedly for the Society had caught up with him. His muscles ached after a mission, with no downtime to relax. At least now, I can let myself unwind...finally. He still did daily exercises to keep his form, but the itch for action was starting to rear its ugly head. He couldn't wait to find out what his next mission was...hopefully it would go smoothly.

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 14, T 11, FF 13 CMD 12 | Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +7 | SM +15* | Spells Remaining: level 1 3/4 level 2 2/2 | Bardic Performance Rounds 10/16

Constantin spends the bulk of his time aboard the ship below-decks, save for when a touch of seasickness drives him out into the breeze. Still, he is an able raconteur, and is quite happy to indulge bored sailors with rousing storytelling, particularly as it frequently inspires them to share their own stories

Diplomacy to Gather Info about the situation in Ardis: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (18) + 15 = 33 Didn't include guidance since Gather Info usually takes more than a minute
Knowledge (Geography) for general Ustalav knowledge: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 8 + 1 = 16

Scarab Sages

HP 45/45; Reroll@+3 1/1; uRogue 6: (AC21 normally) Fort +5; Reflex +12; Will +5; Init +5; Perception +12; SM +10;

A cheerful little Halfling stands on the deck of the ship, rolling with the gentle sway of the deck. He wears black, although a very fine black and carries himself with an aloof frame as if he were some type of Halfling prince.

He complexion is deeply tanned, and his accent heavy with that of the folk of Ossirani.

"So... the old master of blades may have turned into a were wolf? Or someone who respects him may have been. Or someone is trying to set him up for a fall. Or someone is trying to set up the Society for a fall. " summarises Bulgo.

"Bulgo Bluefoot. Scout, explorer and fan of fine dining. At your service." he bows to the rest of the team.

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 14, T 11, FF 13 CMD 12 | Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +7 | SM +15* | Spells Remaining: level 1 3/4 level 2 2/2 | Bardic Performance Rounds 10/16

Realizing he hasn't properly introduced himself yet, Constantin intones,
Ah, Constantin the Azlant is my name.
Good day my friends, though tragic is our task,
hold fast to hope, and soon Vilk's ills will pass.

Dark Archive

Male Gnome Sorcerer (Elemental Fire) 3 HP 15/23 | AC14 T13 F12 CMD9 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | Init+2 | Perc/SM -1 | Darkvision 60'

"So, he told us to kill an old guy? The Great Swarmholio can do that, but that Blades guy is being bad wanting that. The Great Swarmholio can't rule the dead!"

The gnome spends the time on board being, well, bored. Every now and again, he mumbles about not having any cookies. He spends time at the rail, producing little balls of fire in his hands and throwing them out at the water, or up at the sky, but never at the ship itself or the sails.

Scarab Sages

HP 45/45; Reroll@+3 1/1; uRogue 6: (AC21 normally) Fort +5; Reflex +12; Will +5; Init +5; Perception +12; SM +10;

"Let us hope not!" says Bulgo in alarm.

"Crossing swords with a master of Blades, even a retired one, is not something I care to think about. Dream about maybe, but not consider in my more rational moments. Surely there is a campaign afoot to besmirch his good name and the honour of the society."


male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes

After a long journey your ship draws close to the docks at Ardis. It is already well past mid afternoon. An excited young man strains for a view from behind a row of dull, bored, gray-clad observers on the docks of Ardis’s modest harbor. His face beams with equal parts excitement and relief as the gangplank drops.

“Well met, my brothers and sisters,” the young man says “Thank you for coming so quickly! I am Ryado Erudyta.” Despite his youth, Ryado approaches with a limp in his left leg. “I have a coach waiting to take us back to the safe house. We can speak more freely away from these crowds.”

The rented cab is small but well appointed, and after a moment of securing the luggage, Erudyta continues. “By now you must have heard of the unfortunate circumstances of Master Vilk’s… condition. I ran into him by chance six weeks ago at the library of a mutual friend. I was researching the Dracora family’s lineage, but that’s neither here nor there.” He glances out the window, peering at the long, orange shadows cast by the late afternoon sun. “To my shame, I didn’t put all the clues together until the most recent round of murders, but now I see it all… Vilk’s overland journey into Ustalav under cover of darkness, the low profile he maintains, and the identities of the seemingly random victims.” He shakes his head, showing more years than his rosy cheeks would suggest. “I wish I could stop him myself, but fighting a werewolf would’ve been well beyond my skills even before the ghouls got to me.” He knocks gently on his left leg.

“The full moon starts tonight, along with Vilk’s next round of murders. I beg you to cure our wayward master if at all possible. You’ll find curative magics scarce in Ardis, but I believe a powerful dose of wolfsbane may reverse his condition, should he survive it. There might even be enough humanity left in his bestial soul to reason with. The guards grow wise to the beast, and the locals are on edge as well—if the guards or an angry mob beat us to Vilk, the Society’s relationship to the Midnight Mauler will be exposed. We can’t let that happen. One way or another, Vilk’s rampage must end tonight.” The carriage clatters along the cobble stone streets a noisy distraction to the un-pleasant business near a hand.

You may ask Ryado questions on your ride to the safe house. He does mention the shops of Ardis will be open for a few hours before sundown...that doesn't leave you much time.

Scarab Sages

HP 45/45; Reroll@+3 1/1; uRogue 6: (AC21 normally) Fort +5; Reflex +12; Will +5; Init +5; Perception +12; SM +10;

"Why are you so sure it is Vilk doing the murders?" starts Bulgo once the group is in a safe location.

"And can we stop for me to acquire some appropriate weaponry as we go through town.["

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 32/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

I'm actually kind of impressed this scenario doesn't think we're idiots. Some games are like "This guy was attacked on the road, and now something is killing his known enemies under a full moon. We need you to go figure out who's doing it and how."

Laiashi smooths her skirt, unable to hide the fine mithral shirt under her blouse but doing her best to appear nonthreatening. "If there's any humanity in him like you say, I might be able to find it. I'm pretty good at getting people to talk to me, and most men want the same thing."

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)4, HP 40/40, F +4, R +9, W +4, AC 23, T 16, FF 17, Init +6(+8), Per +8, Panache 4/4

Hmm...I guess I will have to get a new blade then...I do hope they have one...falcatas are hard to come by sometimes. Bulgo...Bulgo...are you the same Bulgo that went on a mission with an elf named Rallas? He mentioned you while we were swapping tales over drinks in the lodge in Absolom. Rather dour fellow, but skilled nonetheless. Nasty blade he has.... I dudn't get a copy if my last chronicle for thus toon...but i know i will have more than enough to get a masterwork silver falcata...338 gp...other than that i'm good for gear

Scarab Sages

HP 45/45; Reroll@+3 1/1; uRogue 6: (AC21 normally) Fort +5; Reflex +12; Will +5; Init +5; Perception +12; SM +10;

"Rallas... Rallas... Ahh yes. Down south. My that was a spectacular trip. Some of the most inhospitable terrain I've ever encountered. And not a civilized eating establishment in sight!" he adds with true horror.

Bulgo loosens his collar in memory of the oppressive heat.

"Not a problem we have to worry about here though. Civilization! I love it!"

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 14, T 11, FF 13 CMD 12 | Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +7 | SM +15* | Spells Remaining: level 1 3/4 level 2 2/2 | Bardic Performance Rounds 10/16

Did we get any info for our efforts on the ship?

A tincture made from bane of wolf must head
our chosen tasks. Lest "mercy" leave him dead.


male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes
Constantin the Azlant wrote:

Did we get any info for our efforts on the ship?

A tincture made from bane of wolf must head
our chosen tasks. Lest "mercy" leave him dead.

K geography DC:15:
.Ardis used to be the capital of Ustalav, a varied nation of dark forests, high mountains, and superstitious locals.

gather info DC:30+:
Violence among Ardis’s peasants is nothing new—
criminals, Sczarni, and wild animals claim common folk regularly. But this new killer, the Midnight Mauler, kills merchants and even nobles. No one is safe.Swift, brutal attacks under the full moon? Everyone knows the Midnight Mauler is a werewolf, and anyone with sense has a silver knife or wolfsbane by now. Though the city guard won’t admit it, they spend the days before each full moon rounding up outsiders and expelling them from the city.
Over the past 4 months, the initial fear of the Midnight Mauler evolved into outrage. The last full moon saw a young Sczarni boy lynched, and the coming full moon will likely bring more mob violence.You heard a rumor on the ship that, A Pathfinder named Erudyta has been sniffing around the murder scenes. Another sailor said, "Pathfinders never take time away from their grave-robbing to investigate a murderer. It means something, but I don't know what?"

Ryado looks at Constantin and replies, “Alas, wolfsbane has become difficult to come by. The locals know lycanthrope attacks when they see them, and the local shops sell out as soon as it arrives. You may have better luck tracking it than I, though." He has a worried look when he mentioning his lack of success obtaining wolfsbane.

Bulgo wrote:

Why are you so sure it is Vilk doing the murders?" starts Bulgo once the group is in a safe location.

And can we stop for me to acquire some appropriate weaponry as we go through town?

As soon as I get you settled in the safe house you can go to the local shops. You'll need a safe place to hide in case the guards try to kick you out....there's ...well there has been some miss-trust of foreigners lately. Ryado's eyes are pained at saying the last.

As far as why I believe Vilk to be the murderer; There have been fourteen murders over the past four months. He began with Wanda Oteski, the granddaughter of one of Vilk’s old adventuring rivals. Afterward he slew an elderly merchant and his son who bore witness at Vilk’s trial. The next month saw the death of an elven information broker; apparently she directed Vilk and his band to that ill-fated tomb. The list goes on, but all of them bear some connection to Vilk.

The carriage arrives outside the Ardis safe house. Erudyta invites you all in to rest for an hour or two, but urges them to start before the moon rises. The safe house itself offers few amenities, being more a museum and office than a home.

He says, The best, shops for weapons and herbs like wolfsbane are only a few blocks from here. Take a short rest and go find the supplies you seek. I caution you, wolfsbane is incredible hard to come by or, just too expensive, since the murders started. Last wolfsbane I found, was over 600gp for one dose and the price keeps rising! Problem is: if we don't find some..it will be unlikely we can cure the former master of blades. Ryado lets out an exasperated breath. I'll put on some tea while you stow your gear...was there anything else you needed to know about the mission?

If you have no more questions for Ryado we can skip to your shopping spree. Or you can start looking for Vilk but where will you start?

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 14, T 11, FF 13 CMD 12 | Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +7 | SM +15* | Spells Remaining: level 1 3/4 level 2 2/2 | Bardic Performance Rounds 10/16

The name of Erudyta has appeared,
When asking after knaves whose miens offend.
An agent of our lodges it's supposed,
Is it still safe to shelter there, my friend?

Dark Archive

Male Gnome Sorcerer (Elemental Fire) 3 HP 15/23 | AC14 T13 F12 CMD9 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | Init+2 | Perc/SM -1 | Darkvision 60'

"So, where do we find the old man? Where's he hang his boots to dry? Oh, and where can is a good bakery? The Great Swarmholio needs cookies!"

Scarab Sages

HP 45/45; Reroll@+3 1/1; uRogue 6: (AC21 normally) Fort +5; Reflex +12; Will +5; Init +5; Perception +12; SM +10;

Bulgo's eyes light up. "Witness at Vilk's trial? His trial for what, may I ask?"

As the carriage goes through the town, Bulgo keeps his eyes open for herbalists or other places that might be useful to visit.

Once in the safe house the halfing happily puts up his feet for a couple of minutes.

"No sense in wearing ourselves out before we meet Vilk..if indeed it is him." he says while waiting for the tea.

"Did you see that weapon shop? I'm definitely going to go get some new blades and maybe some armor too. Be a fool to go up against this without the right tool."


male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes
Bulgo wrote:
"Witness at Vilk's trial? His trial for what, may I ask?"

Erudyta, grabs the pot off the small wood burning stove and begins to serve tea while answering questions. I don’t know many of the details; most of the records have been destroyed or moved to Caliphas over the past fifty years. Rumor has it, he lost four fellow adventurers looting a noble family’s tomb. As you know the people of Ustalav look unfavorably on tomb-raiding. The family, most likely the Moulot's, if rumor is to be believed; has since relocated, or else I’d say they’re our prime target. I know nothing else about the trial or the parties involved. Not many remain in Ardis with memories that long.

Constantin wrote:

The name of Erudyta has appeared, When asking after knaves whose miens offend. An agent of our lodges it's supposed,

Is it still safe to shelter there, my friend?

Ryado hands Constantin a saucer full of warm fragrant smelling liquid, The folk of Ustalav are superstitious, the people of Ardis particularly so. All Pathfinders fall under suspicion here. I'm afraid you may experience the same prejudice. Ryado walks to a cabinet and takes out a jar of honey, placing it on the table. As for me, it was I who recognized Vilk in the library when I was doing some research. He looked much younger than he should have but, I'm sure it was him. I notified Master Farabellus by pigeon as soon as I was sure. Erudyta lets out a regretful sigh. I’m concerned, I suppose, for Master Vilk and the Society. When Vilk was Master of Blades, he trained my aunt when she was being inducted into the Pathfinder Society, and he encouraged my own studies in my younger years. He’s almost like family, in a way, though I never knew about his past or banishment until I began investigating these murders. Ryado stirs some honey in to his tea..the spoon absently clinking of the side of the porcelain. As for this place, it's rented under a pseudonym and the coachmen is paid well to keep his lips sealed. If you keep a low profile it should be safe enough.


male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes
swarmholio wrote:
"So, where do we find the old man? Where's he hang his boots to dry? Oh, and where can is a good bakery? The Great Swarmholio needs cookies!"

Erudyta laughs at the outrages gnome's boldness in the light of such grim circumstance. Yes my friend...I'm afraid I neglected cakes for our afternoon tea! What a poor host I've become. I apologize ..with all that's been going on...I've neglected to get provisions, of late. Erudyta comes closer, lowers his voice and double checks the windows, to make sure no one is outside. As for finding our friend: There's been a bit of a problem. I spent six weeks trying to track him down without any luck; too many of his records were simply wiped clean after his exile. If anyone in Ardis knows Vilk well enough to predict his actions, it would be his ex-lover: a half-elf courtesan named Markov Rutowski. Despite the urban decay, Ardis’s courtesans remain well insulated, and I lack the influence to even gain an audience with him. I understand Vilk’s exile was something of a black mark on Rutowski’s own career, and it likely remains a sensitive topic.

Ryado pulls the curtain aside to reveal, streams of light from the late afternoon sun. The light floods the room, illuminating tiny dust particles, floating absently in the room that, has suddenly grown still. It's getting late.. Ryado says flatly.. You have...um..duties to perform...I won't keep you. Erudyta walks out of the room for a moment and returns with a small slip of paper handing it to Bulgo. Directions, to Rutowski's place...if they'll grant you an audience. There's weapon and equipment shops along the way... Ryado pauses for a moment before adding, Remember, if Vilk is what we suspect...only wolfsbane will cure him. Ryado begins to collect the empty saucers and clean-up quietly, apparently satisfied that your group can handle the situation from here.

OK it's about 3.5 hrs to sunset and 2 hrs after the moon rises this time of year. Ryado seems to have given you everything he knows. What's next?

Scarab Sages

HP 45/45; Reroll@+3 1/1; uRogue 6: (AC21 normally) Fort +5; Reflex +12; Will +5; Init +5; Perception +12; SM +10;

Bulgo stands up.
"I wonder what Vilk was doing in that library?" he muses.

"No matter what, it seems this Markov is our best lead, and passing shops on the way will give us the chance to equip ourselves for this little expedition. One of our biggest problems is going to be getting him alive. I can gut a wolf, but .... knocking one out."


male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes

Ok if your ready to leave and go shopping each character should give me a list of what they want with prices next it. Use the game-play thread but [ooc "out of character" mode. I'll assume you find most of what you need by taking a 10 in gather-info diplomacy.(1hr time) Custom fitted armor like plate or even chain-mail must be fitted and made to order (but chain shirts, breast plates, and even leather armors are in abundant supply with a variety of sizes; add 1/2 hr to shopping if armor other than a shield, is bought. This represents adjusting the straps and getting it to fit correctly) . Otherwise, there's an abundant selection of weapons, potions, scrolls, ect..and silver weapons are easy to come by this being Ustalav and the people here familiar with threats only harmed by silver. (ie. most everything you need can be found quickly). There's one exception Wolfsbane..

Your party spends a little over an hour going from shop to shop gather supplies for the coming task. However, despite your best efforts, you find no one with reasonably priced or even expensive wolfsbane in stock. Your best lead to buy wolfsbane is a rumor of an illegal operation on the other side of the city supposedly selling it at the extraordinary marked up price of 800gp! Not really trusting the source, and unsure the amount of time it would take to cross the city and locate the unknown source...you decide to keep asking around.

knowledge local or gather info: wolfsbane please? DC:15:
Despite a lot of frustration you finally meet an herbalist that gives you some useful information:
Wolsbane..har! you won't find any of that in the city with these un-natural murders and all! the shop keeper who has a striking resemblance to a crone spits. Nah your best bet is to harvest some naturally growing plants in some of the thicker forest here and about.. She smiles revealing several missing teeth. I used to harvest it myself just outside the city’s walls in me younger days! the shop-keeper crown slaps her own chest proudly. I'd make a killing by still doing it if it weren't for those damned deadly, man-eating plants that, have infested the forest too!

After revealing this information, the party naturally ask for the exact location where the shop-keeper used to harvest the wolfsbane. She replies with a puzzled face, It's been years since I've been there, can't remember which copse it was located in exactly...but it's close I'll tell ya that! she slaps the counter-top and lets out another *guffaw*. Your business apparently done with her..she moves on to another customer.

DC:12 knowledge local or geography check to correctly guess which wood copse the crone was referring too.

Scarab Sages

HP 45/45; Reroll@+3 1/1; uRogue 6: (AC21 normally) Fort +5; Reflex +12; Will +5; Init +5; Perception +12; SM +10;

Bulgo spends some time in both an armory and a weapon smith, purchasing a fine enchanted mithril shirt, and a small dagger to match it.

+1 mithril chain shirt2100; +1mithril dagger 2502

Bulgo is happy to take ten as he works the streets to try and locate a herb shop that stocks wolfsbane. And if that is okay, also to locate the copse of woods. If rolls are required then...
local #1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
local #2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

After finding the herb seller Bulgo calls the others over. "There was an old lady who used to harvest the herb nearby. I think I recall someone talking about a nearby copse of woods... that is likely the same one. The lady did mention something about man eating plants... but surely that is just a story to keep people away from her plot.."


male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes

So is it off to the woods before it gets dark or strait to to Rutowski's place? It's about an hour and 45 min before sunset.

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 14, T 11, FF 13 CMD 12 | Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +7 | SM +15* | Spells Remaining: level 1 3/4 level 2 2/2 | Bardic Performance Rounds 10/16

To save a friend, I fear no androvores.

My vote's for the woods

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 32/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

"A courtesan, you say? I think I can build some rapport there. I know some things about the trade. Not that I've ever been part of it, of course, but I've talked with some before."

I vote for Rutowski's place.

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)4, HP 40/40, F +4, R +9, W +4, AC 23, T 16, FF 17, Init +6(+8), Per +8, Panache 4/4

Well, if some plants decide to get in thecway, it will let me break in my new blade...let's be off.... picking up a whetsone as well...3 cp i think...using it kn both falcatas

Dark Archive

Male Gnome Sorcerer (Elemental Fire) 3 HP 15/23 | AC14 T13 F12 CMD9 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | Init+2 | Perc/SM -1 | Darkvision 60'

While the group is shopping, the gnome really does seek out a baker and buy as many cookies as he can get.

"Burn plants. Burn old men. Doesn't matter as long as they burn pretty."


male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes

A vote is taken and it's decided to pursue trying to collect some wolfsbane before the sun goes down. The guards pay precious little attention as you exit the city gates...more interested in those entering the city than those who are leaving. You know you don't have much time. Bulgo directs your group to the copse of trees he believes the old crone merchant was talking about. The sun is getting low on the horizon. You hustle towards the thicket prepared for anything.

Tangled masses of roots and undergrowth hamper movement in this wood, and straining branches overhead blot out nearly all natural light. Less than a hundred feet into the overgrown forest, all signs of the nearby city vanish, leaving nothing but shockingly untamed wilderness.

Your searching nearly a half hour in and the sun finally becomes low enough that everything is in shadows beyond about a torchlight radius. (treat as low light conditions beyond 20' ie. everything has concealment beyond 20') The urgency of your mission and the race against the fading light, cause most of you to perspire uncomfortably.

everyone make a survival checks followed by perception checks please. Constantin may also make a knowledge nature check.

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 14, T 11, FF 13 CMD 12 | Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +7 | SM +15* | Spells Remaining: level 1 3/4 level 2 2/2 | Bardic Performance Rounds 10/16

Constantin unfurls his banner once the party is safely out of town, setting it aglow as evening approaches.

Survival: 1d20 ⇒ 12
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 10 + 1 = 21

Scarab Sages

HP 45/45; Reroll@+3 1/1; uRogue 6: (AC21 normally) Fort +5; Reflex +12; Will +5; Init +5; Perception +12; SM +10;

"I'm sure it was around here somewhere." says a horribly sweating Bulgo.

survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17

"So. Many. Trees."

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)4, HP 40/40, F +4, R +9, W +4, AC 23, T 16, FF 17, Init +6(+8), Per +8, Panache 4/4

Mykel gets out a torch and lights it.

perc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

If there weren't trees in the forest, I would be worried. Would someone mind holding the torch? It might interfere with my fighting style should we encounter anything. used whetstone on bith my falcatas...gives +1 damage on girst hit only until sharpened again...using my new silver obe until i change it

Dark Archive

Male Gnome Sorcerer (Elemental Fire) 3 HP 15/23 | AC14 T13 F12 CMD9 | F+4 R+4 W+3 | Init+2 | Perc/SM -1 | Darkvision 60'

Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Survival: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10

The gnome takes the torch and starts playing with the hot end, seemingly unharmed. He doesn't seem to be much help for looking around, though.


male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes

only need a perception and survival check from Laiashi then we'll cont.

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 32/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

Survival: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Though Laiashi's skin is burn-resistant, it doesn't seem to help with heat. Before long she's hot and miserable.


male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes

Your search ends about a half hour in the forest. You find a large patch of wolfsbane that, both Mykel and Constantin recognize. However, Mykel notices a nearby vine start withering wildly as your group approaches. You inch a bit closer to the wolfsbane patch and Constantin confirms that the rumors are true: man eating plants do inhabit this grove. An immature assassin vine has taken residence in the midst of the wolfsbane patch.

I've placed your pawns. Constantin may read the entire entry for the assassin vine, although this one is an juvenile version of the plant. ( 5ft space only 5ft reach) If you intend to fight the vine please roll for intiative..it's already aware of your presence. PS. your tokens are already placed on the map. Remember, everything past 20' has concealment for those without low-light or dark vision.*edit* Constantin, please give me another knowledge nature check I'll let you know when it's relevant.

Scarab Sages

HP 45/45; Reroll@+3 1/1; uRogue 6: (AC21 normally) Fort +5; Reflex +12; Will +5; Init +5; Perception +12; SM +10;

Does it look like we can harvest the wolvesbane without a fight? If so, Bulgo is all for that... but if not...

Bulgo slips forward drawing his knives as he does so, and tries to slash at the vine.
attack: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20
damage: 1d3 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10


male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes
bulgo wrote:
Does it look like we can harvest the wolvesbane without a fight? If so, Bulgo is all for that... but if not...[/ooc]

no the assassin vine is a mindless killer Constantin informs you. It is also not completely immobile. So if you're wanting to harvest this batch of wolfsbane.. you'll have to neutralize the assassin vine.

Bulgo is stopped abruptly by Mykel Therinor's firm grip when the group first spots the wolfsbane patch. Mykel shakes his head and points out the assassin vine lurking in the midst of the patch. The rest of the groups attention is also drawn to the writhing mass of vines seemingly reaching restlessly for your flesh. Before you can do anything like form a plan...Bulgo pulls his blades says something witty and begins to move in, to engage the plant creature.

initiative:

Bulgo: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Laiashi: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Swarmholio: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Mykel: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Constantin: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28 look in discussion thread why I only give +8 instead of your listed +9
Vine: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Constantin
Mykel
Laiahi

Vine
Bulgo
Swarmholio

Bold may act

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)4, HP 40/40, F +4, R +9, W +4, AC 23, T 16, FF 17, Init +6(+8), Per +8, Panache 4/4

Mykel strides forward and brings his blade down in a low arc, adjusting his aim for the low lying plant.

Careful, no telling if there are more of these things. attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 231d8 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17can someone move me up...i am on my phone...ty

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 14, T 11, FF 13 CMD 12 | Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +7 | SM +15* | Spells Remaining: level 1 3/4 level 2 2/2 | Bardic Performance Rounds 10/16

Constantin is rather dismissive of the plant as he gives advice towards its destruction:

A grip like death, but little else to fear.
Though smaller shoots and leaves will join 't, I hear.
Begin Inspire Courage

Watch out for constrict, and it'll be able to entangle us with its smaller less carnivorous brethren if we get within 30'

I'm currently providing a +2 to hit and damage in a mixture of competence and morale bonuses

The Exchange

Female Ifrit Rogue 4 | AC: 19/14/- | HP: 32/32 | Fort +3, Ref +8, Will +0 | CMB +3, CMD 17 | Init +6 | Perc +5 (+1 vs surprise)

Laiashi moves forward cautiously and draws a well-hidden pair of daggers. "Huh. So I guess that 'man-eating plants' thing wasn't wrong."

Drawing hidden weapons is a move action for me, so that's my turn. Someone please move Laiashi to within 10 feet of it, so she can 5-ft step next round.


male Keep of Huscarl King: The Night March of Kalkamedes

Bulgo I've moved you back because your initiative hasn't come yet.

Mykel lurches foward before Bulgo can even clear his blades from his sheathes. Likewise Laiashi also bounds forward but stops short of the assassin vine's writhing branches. Just as Mykel approaches and prepares swing his Falcata, at the assassin vine's trunk area. He notices a smaller bush with pretty multi-colored flowers and what appears to be little images of skulls imprinted on the petals. As he raises his Falcata the pretty plant turns it's stems towards the Rondelero and releases a cloud of spores.Readied action by new plant creature.

Mykel succeeds DC:14 Will:
Mykel swings and connects against the living assassin vine and almost severs the main trunk area green sticky sap splashes everywhere including on his forearm and sleeve. Everyone sees the cloud of spores, Laiashi breathes a sigh of relief, that she stopped just short of the cloud before entering the fray. However, not only Laishi and Mykel are close enough to the plant to get a good view of it...Swarmhoilo with his low-light vision can also see the insidious new plant but, has never seen it's like before.

Mykel fails save:
Mykel lifts his weapon but then everything turns black as he drops the weapon and falls to the ground. Laiashi stops short of the spore cloud in shock as she sees Mykel fall. Her and Swarmhoilo are the only members of the group that have a clear view of this new insidious plant but, they've never seen anything like it before. Bulgo and Constatin are still a bit too far back to get a glance at this new threat. But, they see the spore cloud and Mykel's collapse clear enough.

Constantin
New plant
Mykel need will save please
Laiahi 5hp dmg| grappled
Vine (unknown dmg. until Mykel's save resoved)
Bulgo
Swarmholio

In a stunning turn of events...the assassin vine lurches forward and it's vines strike out at Laiashi! slam: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 dmg: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5confirm: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18 grab/grapple check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18 The whip like vines almost land a telling blow against Laiashi but she's able to fend off the worst of it..barely. However, in her efforts to defend herself she allows the plant to wrap it's limbs around her waist and grapple he firmly.

bold may act and Mykel needs to give a will save before moving to round 2 *edit* PS image of new plant creature in folder link

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 4 | HP 31/31 | AC 14, T 11, FF 13 CMD 12 | Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +4 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +7 | SM +15* | Spells Remaining: level 1 3/4 level 2 2/2 | Bardic Performance Rounds 10/16

Hey, Mykel, I've got a Saving Finale with your name on it if your first roll doesn't work out

Grand Lodge

male human swashbuckler(rondelero)4, HP 40/40, F +4, R +9, W +4, AC 23, T 16, FF 17, Init +6(+8), Per +8, Panache 4/4

ah fudgsicles!will: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

1 to 50 of 259 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Midnight Mauler PFS#3-16 (tier 3-4) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.