Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Mended Wall's PBP for beginners

Game Master Hoary and Wizened

BATTLE GRID

Current Initative = Goruck, Chillel, Dolok, Kairon, Illiam, Glintaxe.


1 to 50 of 2,484 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Battle Grid

While the newcomers to town are finishing their breakfast and being welcomed by some of Falcon's Hollow's friendlier folks, a lanky, young, half-elven girl bursts in the Jak'a'napes' front door. Her long, thick, dark-brown hair is pulled into a loose braid, but wisps of hair shadow the entire crown of her head. She is dressed in simple cotton outfit of various greens and browns, at her side is a sharp shortsword that is clearly well taken care of. Her piercing blue eyes search the crowd.

Kimi! Hails Jak from the kitchen. What can I do for you young lady? He says with a smile that spreads from ear to ear.

The girl looks to him, and her intense focus softens just a bit. Good morrow Mr. Crimmy. She says with respectful formality.

How many times do I have to tell you to just call me Jak!?

Kimi rolls her eyes but doesn't retort. Lady C sent me to get the envoy from Almas. Word's already reached her that they're here. She says, scanning the crowd once again, this time her eyes find Goruck, which causes one of her eyebrows to tilt up. That them? She says pointing at the table where Kairon, Lunarinus, and Goruck sit finishing their breakfast.


Male NG Human Sarenite Cleric 2 Campaign Journal HP 20/20 | AC 15 (11 t, 14 ff) | CMB +4, CMD 15 | F +5, R +1, W +5 | Init +1 | Perc +3, SM +2 | 30' | Surgery 5/5 | Fire Bolt 5/5 | Channel 5/5 | Spells: 1st 3+d/3+d | Active Conditions: -- | character sheet

Kairon empties his tankard at one last pull, and hauls himself to his feet. That's us, then, gents. He quickly checks to ensure his scimitar is clear in its sheath, hoists his well-laden pack and the armor and shield lashed to it, and takes up the longspear from its resting place against the wall. Turning to the new arrival, Kimi? I'm Kairon. This here's Lunarinus, and this is Goruck. Just a moment, and you can lead on. Kairon strides to the doorway, offering Kimi a nod and a tight smile, and turns back toward Scipio, expecting a quick transaction.

The Exchange

Male CN Halfling Wizard (Conjuration: teleportation) 2 | Character sheet | Character Journal | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: -2, CMD: 11 | F: +0, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | shift 5ft 7/7, adaptable luck 3/3 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: None.

About this time, Illiam arrives at a small two-story building with ivy creeping all the way to the roof. A sign above the door reads "Roots and Remedies."

Damn, I'm good. Illiam thinks, congratulating himself, as he often does, for luck that he mistakes for skill. He walks up to the door and peeks inside.

Sorry if I'm making things more complicated by splitting off from the group. Trying not to metagame, I think this path will lead him to joining the group pretty soon. It could, of course, also get him killed.


Male Human TN Sorcerer (Efreeti blooded) Lev. 2 | Init: + 3 | Perc: + 1, SM: + 0 | DEFENSE | AC 12, touch 11, flatfooted 11, (+1 armor, +1 Dex, ) | HP: 18/18 (1d6 + 2 + 1 FC) | F: +2, R: +1, W: +3 | OFFENSE Speed 30ft | Melee Quarterstaff +1 (1d6+0/X2) or dagger +1 | 2 if thrown, (1d4+0/19-20) Ranged Light Crossbow +2 (1d8+0/19-20) Fire Ray +2 (1d6+1/2lev) | Fire Rays 6/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 | Active conditions: None. Character sheet

Lady Kimi, the Lady Chillel & I have heard that these fine gentlemen are here to help fight the disease & we would like to join in this venture if we may be of help? Would it be ok if we join this meeting? Also I am certain that Baradim's knowledge of the local areas could be useful as well! May I suggest that he also be invited along?

I don't mean to speak for anyone else here, just going by what they have previously said in their posts and adding some flavour to my own posts.

@ Chillel: I'm sure at some point by now you have seen me lighting someone's pipe or something. You will more than likely notice that my hand gestures & words as I cast the spell are the same as it is for your Ray of Frost yet you know you see me shoot out a small ray of fire from my fingertip. What you wish to do w/that info is up to you. No offense if you just disregard it either.


Male NG Half-Orc Hunter 2 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 18 (12 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Init: +4 | Perc: +7, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft (20ft) | Animal Aspect: 20 rnds | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Baradim - None; Kanga - Animal Aspect: Eagle (+4 Perception)

Baradim was about to respond to the others when the door burst open and in ran Kimi, those blue eyes searching over the inn for a moment before moving forward and catching sight upon Jak. Their short little discourse allowed Baradim to linger back, Kanga follow his master's lead as he took a more observational approach. It seemed they were being summoned at last, he should scout the forest line and see what dangers were there.

When Dolok suggested that he be invited as well, there was a look of shock and maybe even trepidation upon the half-orc's face before he spoke in a soft tone. "I...I have never been anywhere deep in the woods." He looked away and down, down at the feline that sat loyally beside him. The large beast looked up at him before leaning in and nudging his other thigh, bringing a small smile to the half-orc's face before he looked back up with a more determined look.

"As long as we have a map or at least an idea of where we're going, I should be able to get us there and back safely." With a bow of his head, he continued to speak though mostly to Kairon and Kimi. "If the cleric and the Lady will have me, I will accompany you. I remember some of my journeys into the woods with Ishia."


Male NG Human Sarenite Cleric 2 Campaign Journal HP 20/20 | AC 15 (11 t, 14 ff) | CMB +4, CMD 15 | F +5, R +1, W +5 | Init +1 | Perc +3, SM +2 | 30' | Surgery 5/5 | Fire Bolt 5/5 | Channel 5/5 | Spells: 1st 3+d/3+d | Active Conditions: -- | character sheet

For my part, it feels like we're rushing, just a little bit. It really isn't a big deal, per se, but we could get more character development and interaction with the world if we avoided forcing the issue, perhaps? As far as metagaming is concerned, we know who all the principals are, and we've done a solid job of including everyone to this point; we know there's a hook for all of us -- taking the bait is one thing; putting hooks on the hooks is another. And let's not forget this: Yirangle is likely to be the least-frequent poster among us; with what MendedWall has shared explicitly thus far, Scipio is the primary driver of the plot, currently. I'm sure you all can tell that I'm pretty hyped about this -- do I ever shut up? --, but Mended has clearly hinted that this adventure will be a test of patient gamesmanship. I think we're in a good spot.

I think we should let Scipio decide the way we go into this meeting. Rest assured, though -- I'll make sure your offers of aid are remembered!


Male NG Human Sarenite Cleric 2 Campaign Journal HP 20/20 | AC 15 (11 t, 14 ff) | CMB +4, CMD 15 | F +5, R +1, W +5 | Init +1 | Perc +3, SM +2 | 30' | Surgery 5/5 | Fire Bolt 5/5 | Channel 5/5 | Spells: 1st 3+d/3+d | Active Conditions: -- | character sheet

@Baradim -- your tagline shows a CMB of +0, but it ought to be at least +3

The Exchange

Male CN Halfling Wizard (Conjuration: teleportation) 2 | Character sheet | Character Journal | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: -2, CMD: 11 | F: +0, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | shift 5ft 7/7, adaptable luck 3/3 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: None.
Kairon Daaltin wrote:
For my part, it feels like we're rushing, just a little bit. It really isn't a big deal, per se, but we could get more character development and interaction with the world if we avoided forcing the issue, perhaps? ...

If you're talking about characters being too eager to team up and be buddies, before it was clear that they even have a common interest, I agree. That's part of the reason Illiam had to get out of there. The only place he would have seen that kind of eagerness with his past would be a snitch (or at least somebody who is going to get everyone caught) trying to start/join a heist crew. Illiam is more wary of trusting strangers, especially when they seem overly eager. I know everybody wants to roleplay together, but be sure to consider your characters' backgrounds and motivations, and not just the desire to move the story along.

I spent several hours trying to decide which direction Illiam would instinctively go first after leaving the Jak'a'napes. He's a lucky bastard, which was a point in favor of going north, but I also had to consider his extremely limited knowledge of the town's layout (basically, just what he could see from where he was standing, he would have no idea that most of the town lies to the west), where he would start his search for a healer, his fear of being recognized (exacerbated by having so much attention drawn to him in the Inn), the fact that he's never been in a town this small, etc. I was actually disappointed that it ended up being so easy, and that he couldn't, for instance, discover the Sitting Duck before finding Roots and Remedies.


Male Human TN Sorcerer (Efreeti blooded) Lev. 2 | Init: + 3 | Perc: + 1, SM: + 0 | DEFENSE | AC 12, touch 11, flatfooted 11, (+1 armor, +1 Dex, ) | HP: 18/18 (1d6 + 2 + 1 FC) | F: +2, R: +1, W: +3 | OFFENSE Speed 30ft | Melee Quarterstaff +1 (1d6+0/X2) or dagger +1 | 2 if thrown, (1d4+0/19-20) Ranged Light Crossbow +2 (1d8+0/19-20) Fire Ray +2 (1d6+1/2lev) | Fire Rays 6/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 | Active conditions: None. Character sheet

If I'm taking things a little too fast, I'm sorry. I've never played a PBP before, only tabletop & we always just showed up & started the quest without worrying about our backgrounds or why we are together. I know part of my rush is just that I'm really enjoying the roleplay we've had so far & I'm anxious to play this game! I'll try to tone my speed down a little.


Male NG Half Orc Samurai (Shogun) 1/Kineticist 1 Half Orc | HP: 16/24 Nonlethal:| AC: 19/23 with shield (12 Tch, 17/21 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 18 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft (20 in armor | Challenges: 1/1 | Resolve: 2/4 | Burn: 6/6 | Active conditions: None.

Swinging the battle worn sheathe back into its place his hip and tightening the fabric that held it in place, Goruck simply crossed his arms and stood, waiting for someone to make a decision on the group. "Yes, we're the aid you requested.

Enthusiasm is good, but it needs to be balanced with patience. Out of the two pbp's I've been in, one imploded during the first fight, while the other has been going strong outside of losing one character not too longer ago(1,300 post over five months}. There needs to be an attachment to the game, and it needs to be fun. There's my piece, back to being stone face McSwordsman :D. Don't worry, the story is the best part!


Male NG Human Sarenite Cleric 2 Campaign Journal HP 20/20 | AC 15 (11 t, 14 ff) | CMB +4, CMD 15 | F +5, R +1, W +5 | Init +1 | Perc +3, SM +2 | 30' | Surgery 5/5 | Fire Bolt 5/5 | Channel 5/5 | Spells: 1st 3+d/3+d | Active Conditions: -- | character sheet

Most of us are new to this, chief. I certainly am. And I know exactly what you mean about "quest now, story maybe" at the tabletop. Mended has done a TON of work that we're going to enjoy in the near future. We'll get there!


Male NG Half-Orc Hunter 2 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 18 (12 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Init: +4 | Perc: +7, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft (20ft) | Animal Aspect: 20 rnds | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Baradim - None; Kanga - Animal Aspect: Eagle (+4 Perception)

"I see. If you need me, I will be near the entrance of the town closest to the woods. Come Kanga." He would call the cougar to his side, giving a nod towards those that were there. It'd give him time to prepare, to get everything he needed ready.

The Exchange

Male CN Halfling Wizard (Conjuration: teleportation) 2 | Character sheet | Character Journal | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: -2, CMD: 11 | F: +0, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | shift 5ft 7/7, adaptable luck 3/3 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: None.
Dolok Pickering wrote:
If I'm taking things a little too fast, I'm sorry. I've never played a PBP before, only tabletop & we always just showed up & started the quest without worrying about our backgrounds or why we are together. I know part of my rush is just that I'm really enjoying the roleplay we've had so far & I'm anxious to play this game! I'll try to tone my speed down a little.

Not trying to single anyone out. I've been in in-person games full of seemingly mute murderhobos too. Let's all take it slow. For me, the hard part is not posting new actions/dialog every 10 minutes, so don't think you're the only one having difficulty with patience.

As Illiam enters Roots and Remedies, he sees bunches of dried herbs hanging from the ceiling, along with dangling pots, presses, and items whose purpose Illiam can only guess at. He moves cautiously toward a table covered with strange powders and measuring equipment. Hello? Anybody here? He thinks to knock on a hanging pot, using it as a bell to draw attention, but they're all well out of his reach.


Female CN Human [Andoran] Winter Witch | HP: 16/16 | AC: 11 (11 Tch, 10 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 11/10 |FL F: +1, R: +1, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +2, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Hexes Slumber - DC:15 | Spells: lvl0- 4 1st 3 | Active conditions: None.

I am going to await Scipio's post to see if we are invited to the meeting.

@Dolok- It should be fairly obvious that Dolok is a fire sorcerer and Chillel an ice witch. They both look the part too. Opposed elements is not opposed alignments, as both characters earlier posts seem to show.

On going fast or slow, I have been one to get involved. Artificially? Maybe a bit. I don't think anyone has done anything destructive to the campaign.


Male LG Human (Chelaxian) Paladin (Sarenrae) 1 | Character Sheet | HP: 12/12 | AC: 18 (12 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +2, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +1, SM: +5 | Speed 30ft; 20ft in armor | Smite Evil: 1/1 | Detect Evil: At will | Active conditions: None.

Lunarinus walks over to the barkeep, Jak, and says
Here is the payment for our meal, and deposit for three rooms.
Lunarinus hands him 10 gold pieces. We'll be back to claim the rooms before too long I'm sure. After paying, he walks toward the young lady that arrived to escort them and says, Kimi, we are at your leisure. My friends Kairon and Goruck make up the official envoy from Almas. He bows, bending at the waist and sweeps his arm in a long formal arc, the true courtly bow of an aristocrat. As for these locals, it may be that we need their help, but for now I think we'll keep the information within the church. He turns to Chillel, Dolok, and Baradim as he leaves. I have no doubt we'll need your aid, so if you would stay where we can find you, I'd appreciate it. Baradim, as you say, we'll look for you on the edge of town. For now, I think Lady Cirthana would appreciate a smaller audience. Lead on, Kimi. He says, adjusting his shield and hammer.


Female CN Human [Andoran] Winter Witch | HP: 16/16 | AC: 11 (11 Tch, 10 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 11/10 |FL F: +1, R: +1, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +2, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Hexes Slumber - DC:15 | Spells: lvl0- 4 1st 3 | Active conditions: None.

As you will sir.

Chillel follows Scipio's group outside, then adds as they leave, gesturing towards her home:-

I will return here tomorrow morning. If you need me before then, I am going to my uncle's house for the night.


Male NG Human Sarenite Cleric 2 Campaign Journal HP 20/20 | AC 15 (11 t, 14 ff) | CMB +4, CMD 15 | F +5, R +1, W +5 | Init +1 | Perc +3, SM +2 | 30' | Surgery 5/5 | Fire Bolt 5/5 | Channel 5/5 | Spells: 1st 3+d/3+d | Active Conditions: -- | character sheet

It's early yet, Chillel. This may move pretty quickly -- we only just finished breakfast, so we still have most of a day ahead. Perhaps meet back here near midday?


Okay, I just want to remind everybody that this is a learning experience for all of us! :) It might take us a while to figure it out, but we'll get there, and there's nothing wrong with making mistakes. As Sam Smiles once said:

Sam Smiles wrote:
“We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success. We often discover what will do, by finding out what will not do; and probably he who never made a mistake never made a discovery.”

So! Dolok, you're excited to get to "the game," I get that. For me though, the story IS the game. I want these characters to have an investment in what's happening just as much as the players do, and in order to do that we need to make sure that they have proper motivation to do what they are about to do. Don't worry, as Kairon says, we'll get there. Trust me when I tell you that Dolok Pickering will have ample motivation and reason to join the envoy on their quest for a cure.

That's one bit of learning, another is that as players you should never assume anything about the world you are interacting with. Illiam, you've assumed Roots and Remedies is empty, when in fact, as you arrived there would have been a long line of people waiting in a line down the street, all hoping to pay some coin for some of Laurel's herbal medicines. It's not a game breaker, but something everyone should try to avoid in the future. As a GM I've got to be able to make adjustments on the fly, and blending your posts into the wider world is just one of those challenges for me.

One last reminder is that, as Kairon says, you as players, cannot force the game forward. PBP is much different than the table. At the table you have immediate feedback, and immediate gratification. Here, it might honestly be 48-72 hours before someone integral to the story can get their post put up. That's one of the drawbacks of this type of game. The benefit, though, is that we can play with each other across great distances, and it's a lot easier to fit this kind of game into a busy schedule. So, moving forward, two keys to remember: have patience, and don't assume anything of the wider world.


Battle Grid

As Illiam asks whether or not anyone is at Roots and Remedies, the long line of people waiting, not only at the counter, but also out the door and heading down the street all break out into loud guffaws. For many in line those guffaws then transform into wracking coughing fits, and more than one patron of Laurel's shop coughs up and spits mucus and blood onto the ground or floor.

Leave it to a halfling to walk right past a line of people and not notice a darn one of 'em. One of the sicklier looking women in line says after recovering from her coughing fit. Illiam notices her skin looks very pale, and there are streaks of red blood all mingled into the cracks of her dry lips.

Behind the counter, Laurel, whose softly wrinkled skin is a deep brown, a mark of her Garundi descent, leans over the counter and looks Illiam up and down, seeming to size him up. You're new to town little man, so I'll forgive you for not realizing that the long line of people heading out the door and down the street is actually a line of customers. Normally we're not so busy, but the town's been dealing with an affliction of late. If you want help you'll need to move on back to the end of the line, and I'll get to you in good time. With that she motions out the door, and returns to bartering with her current customer.


Battle Grid

After Lunarinus turns away from the counter and bows to Kimi her face flushes deep red in an instant, and her feet shift nervously for a moment. She looks up at Jak, and he just shrugs his shoulders. When she opens her mouth to talk, it is clear that something about Lunarinus has flustered the teenage half-elf. I, uh, that is... Lady C wanted me to take you to her, as soon as you're ready... uh, sir, Loonarehnuhs. You watch as Kimi struggles for a moment with the paladin's name, apparently none too familiar with Chelaxian nomenclature. Her right hand fidgets on the pommel of her shortsword and the other shoots up to pull and twist at her braid. She looks expectantly at Lunarinus, seemingly, for the moment at least, forgetting that anyone else is even in the room. Whenever you're ready?


Female CN Human [Andoran] Winter Witch | HP: 16/16 | AC: 11 (11 Tch, 10 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 11/10 |FL F: +1, R: +1, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +2, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Hexes Slumber - DC:15 | Spells: lvl0- 4 1st 3 | Active conditions: None.

Hopefully it will move very quickly. I will return at mid-day and you know where to find me if needed. This crisis threatens my home and what remains of my family, I want to be part of the solution.

Confused player lost track of the time of day.

MendedWall12 wrote:

That's one bit of learning, another is that as players you should never assume anything about the world you are interacting with. Illiam, you've assumed Roots and Remedies is empty, when in fact, as you arrived there would have been a long line of people waiting in a line down the street, all hoping to pay some coin for some of Laurel's herbal medicines.

This is MendedWall's campaign and I am totally happy to do it his way. However, even from my limited knowledge of PbP I know this isn't the only policy. Some GMs allow players latitude to fill in minor or even not so minor details of surrounds. I think this is because PbP can be so slow.


Female CN Human [Andoran] Winter Witch | HP: 16/16 | AC: 11 (11 Tch, 10 Fl) | CMB: 0, CMD: 11/10 |FL F: +1, R: +1, W: +3 | Init: +7 | Perc: +2, SM: +0 | Speed 30ft | Hexes Slumber - DC:15 | Spells: lvl0- 4 1st 3 | Active conditions: None.
Chillel wrote:

Hopefully it will move very quickly. I will return at mid-day and you know where to find me if needed. This crisis threatens my home and what remains of my family, I want to be part of the solution.

This confused player lost track of the time of day.

MendedWall12 wrote:
That's one bit of learning, another is that as players you should never assume anything about the world you are interacting with. Illiam, you've assumed Roots and Remedies is empty, when in fact, as you arrived there would have been a long line of people waiting in a line down the street, all hoping to pay some coin for some of Laurel's herbal medicines.

This is MendedWall's campaign and I am totally happy to do it his way. However, even from my limited knowledge of PbP I know this isn't the only policy. Some GMs allow players latitude to fill in minor or even not so minor details of surrounds. I think this is because PbP can be so slow.


Chillel, in many situations I wouldn't have a problem with making minor assumptions of the world at large; however, Roots and Remedies, and players' interaction with it upon starting the adventure, is actually explicitly detailed in the module we're running, and going from a shop where there is a line out the door and down the street, to a shop where no one is around, would make what happens afterwards with the PCs very difficult to process, logically. If Illiam had walked into the Goose 'n Gander, for instance, I would have had no problem with him making assumptions of what was in the store, customers or not, etc. As is though, Roots and Remedies is such an integral part of how this adventure gets hooked, that the adjustment had to be made. :)

Edit: As an afterthought I realized it looks like I'm contradicting myself: don't make assumptions; I wouldn't have a problem with minor assumptions. So to clarify, it would be a LOT easier for me to stay true to the module if players did not make assumptions about the world. If you're going to explore a new area, please do me the huge favor of waiting for me to give some bits of narration before interacting with them. It seems to me like the best way to handle things like this would be to just private message me before interacting with a new place or person. I can answer PM's much more quickly than I can get in and post world narration/story elements. Again, we're all learning here. Eventually we'll get these kinks worked out and off we'll go!


Male Human TN Sorcerer (Efreeti blooded) Lev. 2 | Init: + 3 | Perc: + 1, SM: + 0 | DEFENSE | AC 12, touch 11, flatfooted 11, (+1 armor, +1 Dex, ) | HP: 18/18 (1d6 + 2 + 1 FC) | F: +2, R: +1, W: +3 | OFFENSE Speed 30ft | Melee Quarterstaff +1 (1d6+0/X2) or dagger +1 | 2 if thrown, (1d4+0/19-20) Ranged Light Crossbow +2 (1d8+0/19-20) Fire Ray +2 (1d6+1/2lev) | Fire Rays 6/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 | Active conditions: None. Character sheet

Let's see, Peyton already came through here this morning. The chances of his coming back here again any-time soon are slim & this is as good a place as any for this Scipio man to find me so I think I'll just hang out over here in this corner, rather than run the risk of coming across Peyton again.

The Exchange

Male CN Halfling Wizard (Conjuration: teleportation) 2 | Character sheet | Character Journal | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: -2, CMD: 11 | F: +0, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | shift 5ft 7/7, adaptable luck 3/3 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: None.

Sorry. It's that patience issue we've all been talking about. Can we retcon that when Illaim asked if anyone was there, he mean besides the crowd of customers, past whom he couldn't actually see Laurel or anyone else who seemed to be in charge? He is much shorter than all of them, after all. I'll try to slow down so I can follow your lead, and PM if I'm about to do something potentially disruptive like this again.

Illiam is about to scathe the woman with a witty retort, but thinks better of it upon seeing her condition. When told to go to the back, Illiam does the opposite and pushes his way past the other customers, avoiding the sicker-looking ones as best he can.

I'm part of an envoy from Almas. He lies. I've been sent to investigate this sickness. What can you tell me about it? Is there a cure? They said they were going to the church, not the herbalist. Even if the church (wherever that is) sends them here, I should have plenty of time to get the information I want. Might even get a free inoculation out of it. Once I'm sure that I don't have this disease to worry about, maybe I'll find a slightly less dismal place to find my fortune and make my name.


Okay here's where I ask for a roll. :) Illiam, you'll need to roll a bluff check to convince Laurel and the patrons in the near vicinity that you are actually part of an envoy from Almas. As per the Bluff rules your Bluff check will be countered by their sense motive. I'm going to rule the lie is believable (+/-0), since such an envoy did just come into town, and with the current illness spreading rapidly, it is a feasible lie. So the DC of the check is the individual roll for each NPC. You roll once, and I roll once for each NPC. Wherever Illiam's roll beats theirs they believe him. After I get the results of those checks I'll be able to narrate what happens next.

Secret GM Rolls:

Laurel Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Commoner Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 17
Commoner Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 18
Commoner Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 14
Commoner Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 19
Commoner Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 14

Edit: Dang, I know this is metagame, and I am really one of those GM's that likes a lot of things to be behind the curtain, but there is a really large part of me that wants everybody to look at my rolls in that spoiler... I mean, I guess I'm saying I wouldn't be mad at you if you went ahead and looked. Just in this one instance. :P

The Exchange

Male CN Halfling Wizard (Conjuration: teleportation) 2 | Character sheet | Character Journal | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: -2, CMD: 11 | F: +0, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | shift 5ft 7/7, adaptable luck 3/3 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: None.

Bluff: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Wow, so much for halfling luck... I'm glad I chose not to roll my stats. This system seems to hate me, and I probably would have ended up paralyzed and brain-dead.


Illiam Taal wrote:

[dice=Bluff]1d20 + 8

Wow, so much for halfling luck...

I usually don't do this, but I literally just laughed out loud. So... LOL!!

The Exchange

Male CN Halfling Wizard (Conjuration: teleportation) 2 | Character sheet | Character Journal | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: -2, CMD: 11 | F: +0, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | shift 5ft 7/7, adaptable luck 3/3 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: None.

Please, at least tell me that if/when the real envoy get here, Laurel is going to be skeptical because she's already heard that lie today.


Battle Grid

Illiam's rudeness and his lie are met with a rumble of anger, and more than a few angry glares. One of the commoners exclaims, Yeah, right, and I'm Baba Yaga's daughter.

Laurel does her best to calm down her patrons. She waves her hands for people to calm down, and then leans over the counter to address Illiam once again. Listen, little man, this time her "little man" comment comes dripping with over-the-top sarcasm, I've got a lot of sick people, and a lot of work to do. So, unless you want to suffer a beating at the hands of about twenty some odd people that were here well before you, I'd suggest you go back to the end of the line. I'll get to you and your questions, when it's your turn.

The Exchange

Male CN Halfling Wizard (Conjuration: teleportation) 2 | Character sheet | Character Journal | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: -2, CMD: 11 | F: +0, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | shift 5ft 7/7, adaptable luck 3/3 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: None.

Ok, is there any chance Illiam might be able to spot a journal or something that might have the information he's looking for? If he can't get Laurel to tell him what he needs to know, he'll try to find a place where she's written it down (his stealth at sleight of hand are even better than his bluff bonus, not that it's likely to matter the way the rolls are going). I'd also like to check the layout to see if there's a place he might be able to teleport into unseen and get upstairs, in case there would be something like that up there. His "shift" school power allows him to teleport 5 feet with a line of sight, and he's used this in his backstory in burglaries/heists by looking through a window/crack/keyhole/etc. to see to the other side of a barrier like a wall or door and teleport past it.


Male NG Human Sarenite Cleric 2 Campaign Journal HP 20/20 | AC 15 (11 t, 14 ff) | CMB +4, CMD 15 | F +5, R +1, W +5 | Init +1 | Perc +3, SM +2 | 30' | Surgery 5/5 | Fire Bolt 5/5 | Channel 5/5 | Spells: 1st 3+d/3+d | Active Conditions: -- | character sheet

Hopefully, this is more helpful than distracting: MendedWall indicated earlier in the Discussion thread that we should try to keep as much of the non-narrative elements of our posts over there, and in-character stuff over here. In that vein, I just posted a cheatyface snark attack over there. I won't mention this again in this part of the thread.

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled country bumpkin preacher musings . . . .


Illiam can you put that previous post in {ooc} for me? Appreciate it. The description of Roots and Remedies is as follows: The smell of burnt earth and spicy incense chokes the air of the cramped, mud-tracked shop. Bunches of dried herbs hang from the ceiling, along with dangling pots, presses, alchemical apparatuses, and glassware of more arcane purposes. Pouches of rare plants, jars of colored glass, and all manner of dried, preserved, and jellied animal parts fill high shelves and tables doing double duty as displays and workspaces.

As to the layout it is a square two story building. The main floor is dominated by a counter that runs end to end, behind which are the various shelves full of her ingredients and goods. The counter is unbroken, but there is a section with hinges that looks like it would act as a doorway to get behind the counter. From Illiam's vantage point he can see that there is a doorway to the back room, but it is covered in a beaded curtain, that blocks line of sight to what lies beyond.


Kairon Daaltin wrote:

Hopefully, this is more helpful than distracting: MendedWall indicated earlier in the Discussion thread that we should try to keep as much of the non-narrative elements of our posts over there, and in-character stuff over here. In that vein, I just posted a cheatyface snark attack over there. I won't mention this again in this part of the thread.

And now, back to our regularly-scheduled country bumpkin preacher musings . . . .

This too, if we could keep most of the out of character chatter in the discussion thread I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

The Exchange

Male CN Halfling Wizard (Conjuration: teleportation) 2 | Character sheet | Character Journal | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: -2, CMD: 11 | F: +0, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | shift 5ft 7/7, adaptable luck 3/3 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: None.

I should probably formally narrate this:

Before walking out, Illiam takes a surreptitious look around to try to find another way to get the information he needs. He tries to spot an kind of journal or notes where Laurel might have written down information about the disease. He also notes the layout, and the beaded curtain obscuring the back room from view, in case he wants to break in and scout the back area and upstairs.


Male LG Human (Chelaxian) Paladin (Sarenrae) 1 | Character Sheet | HP: 12/12 | AC: 18 (12 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +2, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +1, SM: +5 | Speed 30ft; 20ft in armor | Smite Evil: 1/1 | Detect Evil: At will | Active conditions: None.

Shall we, comrades? I'd like to get a move on while it's daytime.


Male NG Half Orc Samurai (Shogun) 1/Kineticist 1 Half Orc | HP: 16/24 Nonlethal:| AC: 19/23 with shield (12 Tch, 17/21 Fl) | CMB: +6, CMD: 18 | F: +8, R: +5, W: +3 | Init: +2 | Perc: +7, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft (20 in armor | Challenges: 1/1 | Resolve: 2/4 | Burn: 6/6 | Active conditions: None.

"Let's." With that Goruck fell behind Scipio, hand resting on the pommel of his sword.


Battle Grid

Kimi waits for Lunarinus, Kairon and Goruck to gather behind her, then she heads out the door. Entering the street the envoy is met by the sounds of the Low Market in full swing. Various ramshackle stalls have been set up in a makeshift circle of packed earth. Vendors hawk their wares with loud calls of "vegetables, meat, spirits, bread..." Mingled in with their loud calls come coughing fits, and wheezing breaths, a sure sign that this affliction, whatever it is, is spreading, perhaps unchecked.

Kimi takes the envoy directly west on the thoroughfare that cuts the town almost directly into northern and southern hemispheres. Above the rooftops, directly down the street, rises a steeple which sits atop a large and high-roofed building. The walk takes the envoy past almost two blocks of run-down houses. Women sweep dust off of their porches, a few older gentlemen sit in wooden rocking chairs whittling away at a block of wood, smoking long-stemmed pipes. The Valers give the envoy a few curious glances, but otherwise show little interest in their passing by. As the street meets up with another the strong smell of an apple pie cooling in the window of one of the better kept houses drifts out to the street. Just a short walk beyond the juncture of streets the church of Falcon's Hollow rises up in beautiful display. The roof is made of slate tile, the walls of cut and mortared stone with small windows of stained glass. As the envoy opens the thick oak double doors of the church a waft of pungent incense greets their noses.

Overhead the church's high, steep-gabled roof is held up by tall stone pillars decorated with swirling natural patterns resembling leaves and woody vines cut into the rock. Row upon row of dark-stained pews lead up to a dais and altar on which sits an artistically crafted miniature sword and sun, the symbol of Iomedae. The altar relic is gilt in gold and silver, and has several small rubies decorating the sun-hilt. There are a few faithful Valers sitting in the pews with heads bowed, praying silent prayers. A few others light incense and candles in some of the church's alcoves, in which sit statues and relics to other deities. One of the alcoves does have a metal angel-ankh for worshipers of Sarenrae.

All the way at the front of the church, kneeling on the dais before the altar to Iomedae is a woman dressed in a flowing yellow dress, which offsets the uniqueness of her grey-blond hair. As soon as the envoy sets foot across the threshold she stands up and turns around.


Lady Cirthana, by conventional standards, is beautiful. Softly curving features, bright, almond-shaped eyes adorned with simple makeup to accentuate their curve, full lips, and a petite nose make her visage easy to look upon. At her side is a heavy mace, the only item she carries. As she walks down the center aisle her grace and elegance are obvious. Lady Cirthana is clearly a true lady of some noble blood. When she speaks it is strong, but no less feminine.

Thank you Kimi. If you wouldn't mind waiting outside, I'm sure our envoy will need help finding their way to their other destinations shortly? She says it as a question, but you can tell it is a command, and Kimi immediately obeys, heading out the double doors and shutting them behind her.

I wish I could bid you good morrow, friends, but our days have been filled with trouble. I do hope Iomedae has sent you as our relief from that trouble. I am Lady Cirthana. To whom do I have the pleasure of speaking? She says, looking directly at Lunarinus, who stands flanked by Kairon and Goruck. She offers her hand in greeting, upturned, just as a lady would when presenting it to be kissed.


Meanwhile back at the Jak'a'napes, as Dolok sits quietly in a corner, suddenly two of Payden Teedum's Jacks appear in the door that leads from the common room to the kitchen, and the back door. Then, just as suddenly, Payden and his two sellswords burst in the front door. It only takes Payden a second to locate Dolok's fiery red hair. He points across the room. There you are, you son of a hellhound. Up with you, Mista Kreed wants to have a word with you. Payden stands impatiently at the door waiting for Dolok Pickering to join him.

The Exchange

Male CN Halfling Wizard (Conjuration: teleportation) 2 | Character sheet | Character Journal | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: -2, CMD: 11 | F: +0, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | shift 5ft 7/7, adaptable luck 3/3 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: None.

Back at Roots and Remedies, Illiam doesn't see what he's looking for in the main room and decides to look elsewhere. He pushes his way back out the door, a bit easier this time because people actually want him to leave. He continues north, past a long building to get out of sight of those in line. Before he turns the corner, he notes the sounds of a raucous tavern a bit further north. Sounds like a good place to find drunk people with more money than sense. I might even find some payed muscle if I need it. Rounding the building and coming to the back of Roots and Remedies, he begins looking for a door or window leading to the back room of the establishment. Even a crack between planks or a knothole I assume the building, and most things in the town aside from the church's stone pillars, are made of wood, this being a logging town that he can peek through will do.


Male NG Half-Orc Hunter 2 | HP: 20/20 | AC: 18 (12 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +4, CMD: 16 | F: +5, R: +5, W: +2 | Init: +4 | Perc: +7, SM: +8 | Speed 30ft (20ft) | Animal Aspect: 20 rnds | Spells: 1st 0/2 | Active conditions: Baradim - None; Kanga - Animal Aspect: Eagle (+4 Perception)

Near the Palisades, a way away from the cacophony of the marketplace and the sick people, laid a ramshackle shack that seemed hastily put together and more pieces of fallen wood rather than actual lumber. The place smells of cooking meat, herbs, and dirt, with small little fetishes and symbols of the Green Faith hanging outside. Those that recognized the symbols would see ancient wards against sickness, wicked and old spirits, and safety for those inside.

Baradim settled inside of his home, Kanga settling by the door to watch the coming and goings of those who approached the homestead. Baradim would settle his hood and weapons upon the wall, leaving just his dagger on his side along with his sling, as he settled down and took out his own pipe. Silently, with just the rumbling of his feline to keep him company, he'd begin to smoke and watch the clouds go by.


Illiam I'm assuming you are trying to be stealthy so as not to be seen by the town Sheriff or any of his deputies that make regular routes through the streets? If that's the case I need you to roll a stealth check for me. I'll assume Illiam found some concealment from which to make his stealthy foray, and also that he is moving at half-speed. Once I get that number to set as the DC for any passersby that might notice Illiam, I'll put up the results of his search.

The Exchange

Male CN Halfling Wizard (Conjuration: teleportation) 2 | Character sheet | Character Journal | HP: 12/12 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMB: -2, CMD: 11 | F: +0, R: +3, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3, SM: +0 | Speed 20ft | shift 5ft 7/7, adaptable luck 3/3 | Spells: 1st 4/4 | Active conditions: None.
MendedWall12 wrote:
Illiam I'm assuming you are trying to be stealthy so as not to be seen by the town Sheriff or any of his deputies that make regular routes through the streets? If that's the case I need you to roll a stealth check for me. I'll assume Illiam found some concealment from which to make his stealthy foray, and also that he is moving at half-speed. Once I get that number to set as the DC for any passersby that might notice Illiam, I'll put up the results of his search.

The idea was to avoid looking suspicious for as long as possible, but then to try to remain unseen as soon as being seen would be a problem. I guess that would be around the time Illiam leaves the road, going between the long building next to Roots and Remedies and the L-shaped building to the west. I'm going to add my adaptable luck bonus this time...

Stealth: 1d20 + 12 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 12 + 3 = 20


Male Human TN Sorcerer (Efreeti blooded) Lev. 2 | Init: + 3 | Perc: + 1, SM: + 0 | DEFENSE | AC 12, touch 11, flatfooted 11, (+1 armor, +1 Dex, ) | HP: 18/18 (1d6 + 2 + 1 FC) | F: +2, R: +1, W: +3 | OFFENSE Speed 30ft | Melee Quarterstaff +1 (1d6+0/X2) or dagger +1 | 2 if thrown, (1d4+0/19-20) Ranged Light Crossbow +2 (1d8+0/19-20) Fire Ray +2 (1d6+1/2lev) | Fire Rays 6/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 | Active conditions: None. Character sheet

Oh rats! I sure thought I'd be safe here! Mista Kreed wants a word? This can't be good! I guess I'll go with you since you got all these goons along. Obviously says something about me that it takes 5 of you to bring me in! This would go a different way if you had come by yourself! What am I saying?!?!?! You fool! That hot tongue of mine is really gonna get me a beating or worse!


Yeah, yeah, yeah. You know how many times I've heard that Dolok? Yet here I stand. Just gather your things and come along. Payden's thugs close around Dolok, but it is obvious to all onlookers that they refuse to touch him. What the source of their trepidation at handling him is, one can only guess...

Shortly thereafter the six men exit Jak Crimmy's fine establishment for rest and refreshment. If one were so inclined, and looked out the window, they'd see the entire group marching directly to Thuldrin Kreed's manse.


Battle Grid

Secret GM rolls:

Commoner Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Commoner Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Commoner Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Commoner Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
City Guard Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
City Guard Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

As Illiam slips in between two buildings in the western thrown shadows of the still rising sun, and then quietly and carefully to the rear of Laurel's Roots and Remedies he sees one of the patrons in line on the street turn their head as he makes the move. Immediately the man steps out of the line towards the side of the building and hollers right at Illiam. Oy! Aren't you the half-man that got told to get to the back of the line?! What're you about skulking back here. Off with you now, before I call the city guard. The man stands, hands on hips, looking right at Illiam and waiting for him to vacate the premises.

Ah dice, the wonderful tool that leaves the game up to fate and chance... ;-) So much for halfling luck. :)


Male Human TN Sorcerer (Efreeti blooded) Lev. 2 | Init: + 3 | Perc: + 1, SM: + 0 | DEFENSE | AC 12, touch 11, flatfooted 11, (+1 armor, +1 Dex, ) | HP: 18/18 (1d6 + 2 + 1 FC) | F: +2, R: +1, W: +3 | OFFENSE Speed 30ft | Melee Quarterstaff +1 (1d6+0/X2) or dagger +1 | 2 if thrown, (1d4+0/19-20) Ranged Light Crossbow +2 (1d8+0/19-20) Fire Ray +2 (1d6+1/2lev) | Fire Rays 6/7 | Spells: 1st 5/5 | Active conditions: None. Character sheet

So, they don't want to touch me? Interesting! I wonder why that is? Maybe they are afraid of passing the disease along if I have it? And if that's the case maybe it would be fun to make these guards think that? As Dolok walks along he will go into coughing spells every so often.


Male LG Human (Chelaxian) Paladin (Sarenrae) 1 | Character Sheet | HP: 12/12 | AC: 18 (12 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +2, W: +3 | Init: +3 | Perc: +1, SM: +5 | Speed 30ft; 20ft in armor | Smite Evil: 1/1 | Detect Evil: At will | Active conditions: None.

Lunarinus takes her hand easily and kisses it. He then bows a low sweeping bow and says:
I am Lunarinus Scipio, a noble from Cheliax, but my family moved to Almas after the Chelaxian/Andoran war. These are my colleagues, Kairon Daaltin
he points to Kairon and then to Goruck; and Goruck of the Stone, my personal bodyguard.


Male NG Human Sarenite Cleric 2 Campaign Journal HP 20/20 | AC 15 (11 t, 14 ff) | CMB +4, CMD 15 | F +5, R +1, W +5 | Init +1 | Perc +3, SM +2 | 30' | Surgery 5/5 | Fire Bolt 5/5 | Channel 5/5 | Spells: 1st 3+d/3+d | Active Conditions: -- | character sheet

M'lady. Kairon offers a respectful bow of his head.

1 to 50 of 2,484 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / MendedWall's PBP for Beginners All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.