Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Megan's Kingmaker PbP

Game Master Megan Robertson

A game of Paizo's Kingmaker AP, with some of the best players it has been my pleasure to DM!
Campaign Map


3,151 to 3,200 of 4,477 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>

Male Human Witch 5

Barnabus seeks out Gorguk and Calindar

"Good I have found yerselves, I had thought we might take tha staglords body tah david nettles an mayhap he ken speak tah him o tha dead round tha fort, seems unlikely but I will not pass up tha chance tah speak wit tha specter."


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

"Barnabus, I had similar thoughts, only in regard to the zombies. I believe that once they are released from their unlife, I can attempt to speak with the spirit that once belonged to one of the walking dead. I hope that in that way to at least garner some information on who they were and what their purpose is or was."


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Barnabus, the initial purpose of Rhasa's trip was to haul the body to the Shrike. We added Beaky and going to the trading post, but we are still taking the body.

Rhasa did not pause in the fort - when Beaky's gate was opened, she led him straight out the front door and to the woods. The plan is for Lothar and the others to catch up with her after she parts ways with Beaky.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

If you want to go with Lothar and Rhasa to speak with Nettles, why don't you go along as well and returnince the body is delivered. Should be simple to follow the river and safe enough since we cleared those areas from wild beasts and bandits. Cal and I can stay here to look after the fort and keep it running. The tedium of running this outpost for the good of the people is wearisome so I would not begrudge you leaving for a day or two.

Gorguk will still continue with the inventory and searching of the fort, assessing the bandits with sense motive and detect evil, and clearing out the zombies. should keep him busy for a while till everyone gets back. Oh and if Oleg will place and order for future payment, Gorguk wants 550gp in metal for armor for himself and 90gp of material for Durok's barding and 50 gp MW crafting tools.


Male Human Witch 5

"I shall remain wit Goguk, trustin in Rash tah handle Beaky an in Calindar tah attempt tah learn fron David's spector."


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

I believe that Cal was staying here to learn from the zombies. That is why I thought if you wanted to go to Nettles that would be a great idea. then you could compare toes when you get back.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

"Yes, Gorguk is correct. My intention was to stay here and try to learn what I can from the zombies here at the fort. I have to have a physical body to be able to speak with the dead, and that I would not have with poor Mr. Nettles. Unless his body is one of the zombies guarding the fort."


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Meanwhile, Rhasa, astride Sunset, takes the shortest route known to her to get Beaky back to his home forest. She leads the way until they get about a mile from where she believes their destination is, trying to keep their rate of travel at a comfortable pace for the creature. Around a mile from their destination, she will slow to ride alongside Beaky and let him pick the path if he chooses. When they get 100' from the trees, she will stop and turn Sunset sideways to watch the owlbear return home. After he's disappeared into the trees, she will wait a few minutes, enjoying the solitude, before she turns and retraces their steps to meet with the magician and the ex-bandits pulling the Stag Lord on her cart.

At about the halfway point to the trees, she will start using her ability to hide her allies' tracks so that someone else won't have a neon sign pointing to Beaky's lair.

If Beaky decides to get aggressive with his sole escort, she will spur Sunset on to keep in front of Beaky, but will continue to lead him where she wants him to go. In that case, when they get close enough to see the trees, she will use her ability to hide her and Sunset's tracks to essentially disappear in mid-stride, leaving the owlbear to backtrack to the fort or go the shorter distance home. She will stay around long enough to make sure he makes the right decision before returning to join the undertakers.


Male Human Witch 5

"Ahh! now I understand, I shall go on tha journey tah return tha owlbear an take tha staglords body."

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

To move things on, the trip to return Beaky to the forest passes without incident. He appears to note Rhasa's trail-covering activities before he vanishes between the trees.


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasa makes haste back toward where she started hiding the trail and then follows it back toward the fort looking for Lothar and the ex-bandits. At this point, she's not aware that Barnabus is coming along to perform a ghostly interview.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Still ?killing? Zombies and fort management duties here.


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

Lothar allowed his mule to follow after the cart, which was being driven by Jeb. Cragger held the point position, instructed to keep an eye out for any bandits that could potentially be returning from some mission previously assigned them by the Stag Lord on the journey to Nettle's river resting place. The magician held the rear, seeking some sign of his partner's imminent arrival.

Perhaps more than anyone in the Wardens, he was looking forward to delivering the Stag Lord's remains to Nettles' Crossing. The promise made to the unquiet spirit needed to be kept, but for the magician, the deed that Rhasadilara and himself were undertaking had more of a significant overtone to it.

For in doing this thing, Lothar would be fulfilling a personal quest. And though none of the other Wardens held him responsible, that did little to assuage the magician's guilt where Kylia's death was concerned. Perhaps he was looking to attain something close to catharsis with this deed, this one act.

The magician sighed as he ran a free hand across the top of his head. Perhaps this will help me find the peace I'm looking for. Perhaps not. All I can do take the next step on the path and see where it leads me.

And for the first time in a long time, Lothar allowed himself to smile.


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Megan:
Rhasa will watch for the others. If she can, she will let them pass without seeing her and come up behind them, hoping to surprise her partner. I'll let you decide if it works and how to describe it.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

Calinder, along with Gorguk is just continuing to do what needs to be done at the fort.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

OK. Looking at the map (which I really must get around to updating!), the Stag Lord's fort is in E7 between the 2 rivers.

Beaky had asked to return to the forest in D7, the ride there and back again will take Rhasadilara a couple of days; she can then join up with Lothar and the cart (with the Stag Lord's corpse) as they go to Nettle's Crossing. I guess they'll meet up around where the river enters E6.

Meanwhile, after seeing those travelling off, Gorguk and Calinder are left to oversee cleaning up the fort and its environs. Dyfrig is with you, and is busy setting the cooking facilities to rights. None of the bandits has any culinary aspirations, it's all Dyfrig can do to get any help with washing dishes!

How do you two want to approach the zombie problem?

[Those on the road, I'll deal with you after we've done the zombies, but basically you will have a peaceful ride until you arrive at Nettle's Crossing.]


Male Human Witch 5

On the road...

"Glad I am to be out o doors again."

Remains silent for the remainder of the morning keeping up vigilance in case we cross paths with a returning patrol of bandits.....


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

"Gorguk, as far as getting rid of the zombies, I could cast a spell that would make all but one of us undetectable to the zombies, until we attack. I could also cast a spell on myself that would allow those close to me to gain some protection from the zombies."

"The one person that is detectable to the zombies would then bring them forth, and allow them to be attacked by the others. Perhaps by catching them between us. Hopefully you can hold them back for a moment, giving me a chance to study them. Then I can use Erastil's power to help defeat them."

"We might want to check to see if any of the remaining bandits would like to help, it would go a long way to showing that they are willing to turn their lives around."

Calinder would use Hide from Undead and Magic Circle against Evil to help defend against the zombies. Then use positive energy bursts to help defeat them.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

As cal and gorgukmdiscuss plans...

Cal that is a wonderful idea. Perhaps you stay hidden from them so you may study them better. I will start by riding Durok about so they may come up. While we are giving them a merry chase, you can gather the information that you need, either by direct study or by moving amongst them yourself. When you give the signal, whatever signal you want it to be, Durok and I will change Attis and go one the offensive. If there are too many of them, then we can retreat to the fort and continue on the next night. If you wish me to be closer to you than Durok and I can protect upon as they come at us. This would give you the opportunity to see them fight as well while still being protected. Excellent, we will start the purification and study tonight.

Yes it would be good to have the men help with this as it is a positive project that benefits us all. Clearing the undead will Give them a sense of accomplishment and a further sign of good things to come.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

OK - Cal and Gorguk, do you want to involve anyone else (former bandits, that is) in your plan or is it just the 2 of you?


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Any bandits who are willing to help will be allowed and encouraged to participate in the removal of the zombies.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

Calinder personally approaches each of the men that worked under the Stag lord and inquires of each of them if they would like to assist Gorguk and himself in getting rid of the zombies.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Most state that they are willing to 'beat up on' the zombies, the impression is that they regard the zombies as vermin. They arm themselves with stout clubs, having found that bashing weapons seem to work best.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Gorguk will have the men form a defensive perimeter in front of Calinder protecting him. Then Gorguk will venture out to lure the zombies in o the men can attack. Tasks way they benefit from Calinder's protective spells and his healing bursts. Gorguk is more worried about the safety of the others than anything else.

If this doesnt need combat rounds that is fine to finish it in narrative to move things along..

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

[Map now updated, with Rhasa's assistance - thanks!]

Narrative will be fine with the zombies. Do you just wish to destroy them or does Cal want a chat?


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

I believe that I will have to wait to try to speak with those to who inhabited these corpses in life after the zombies are defeated. But Calinder will try to learn what he can about them through observation while we try to defeat them.

Before they pass through the gates of the fort to attempt to eliminate the zombies, and perhaps put the souls of those who were once join in life with these bodies to rest, Calinder takes the time to cast several spells, using the powers that Erastil has granted unto him.

Calinder cast Shield of Faith and Magic Weapon on Gorguk and whichever weapon he wishes. He will then cast Hide from Undead on himself and up to four others, and Magic Circle Against Evil on himself.

Once Calinder has finished casting the spells in preparation for battle, he then makes sure that his holy symbol of Erastil is in view to all, and grasps his morningstar in his right hand, ready to use it if necessary.

He then nods to Gorguk and says, "Let's put these poor creatures to rest.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Let the slaughter, I mean, the precise removal of the zombies in a proper fashion that is pleasing to Erastil commence.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Once it is full night, the zombie-bashing party ventures forth. As soon as they detect someone, three zombies arise from the ground... and those protected by Calinder's Hide from Undead spell make short work of them... and so it continues until there is no further response to unprotected live beings wandering around the hilltop. You reckon you have dispatched about a dozen zombies.

Once all is quiet, the former bandits all return to the fort declaring themselves tired and thirsty. It appears that what they want is ale, and lots of it!


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

After battling the zombies and the other men have returned to the fort. Calinder kneels next to one of the corpses and looks for any clue as to who they were.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24 to see if Cal can find any clues to who they were, and Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21 to see if they were tied to a deity.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Men, why do you want to dull your wits and make you no wiser than animals. A celebratory drink may be in order, but moderation is necessary. you men did a fine job and deserve the congratulations and respite your efforts brought forth. As such all will have a round to celebrate. No more tonight however as drunkenness leads to foolish ideas.
Now some may say what the of freedom is this. I am decreeing something against your will. You are right you have no choice in the matter. However after your year of service you will be allowed to celebrate how you choose. Here, in the wilds though,drunkenness and foolish behavior can get you killed or the man next to you. I will not have such appen if I can prevent it.
Good job again men. Enjoy your accomplishments.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Calinder examines the remains. Some at least appear to be monks of Gyronna, and it would seem that they include some that were buried alive! Perhaps that is why they were so unquiet in death?

The former bandits grumble a bit at Gorguk's words. The general consensus is that if Gorguk is paying, they'll (more or less) do what he says, though. At least for now.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

Muttering more to himself than to anyone that may still be nearby as he examines the remains of these poor souls, Calinder says, "Some monks of Gyronna...and some seem to have been buried alive. Why do some deities demand such hardships of their followers, life and devotion are hard enough most of the time."

Calinder then hoping against a dread feeling that this may fail, begins the long process to try and speak with spirit of one of the former zombies. Calling upon Erastil, Calinder asks for the power to reach out from life into the spirit realms and be able to speak with this person who has past on to the next life.

After his preparation are completed, Calinder kneels next to the corpse. And holding aloft his holy symbol as high as he can bends near the former zombies ear and whispers, "Tell me of thyself in life?"


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Don't know about paying for it, but the stores that the men once had are confiscated and thus should be available. Gorguk will refrain himself from drinking any alcohol and if needed will remain on watch to make sure that nothing happens while they celebrate.

Good luck Cal in finding anything about these people. Hopefully your studies find a way to put them to rest forever, their spirits as well.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Choosing the remains of one of those who appear to have been buried alive, Calinder casts his spell and begins his questioning.

"In life, I was called Samwise," whispers the body. "I chose service to Gyronna, and as our community developed here, we turned from some of the excesses she required and lapsed from proper worship and began to leave our cruel ways behind in favour of a more minimalist monastic lifestyle, Gyronna was insulted by this. One night, she caused the dead of the monastery's extensive graveyard to rise up and attack us, dragging our still-living bodies back into the graves and leaving the building abandoned. Many years later bandits took over the site and we joined with the rest of the dead in objecting to their presence. A restless unlife, and I thank you for releasing me from it!"


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

Calinder having all the information that he feels he needs at this point, returns to the fort to talk with Gorguk.

"Such a sad tale my friend, they had tried to turn their lives to good and Gyronna cursed them and had the dead of the group rise up and punish those who had tried to change with an undead existence. Now though, they are all released and those that had tried to change can rest peacefully."

"In the morning we will want to bury the dead and wish them well on their new journey."


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Truly, Cal, we must put them to rest in the morning and give them the peace and burial that they deserve and that Gyronna denied them.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

At the River

The burial party with the Stag Lord's remains eventually arrive at Nettles' Crossing. As the corpse is thrown into the water (with as little or as much ceremony as you please), Davik's undead rotting body arises from the river and siezes it, dragging it down to the depths.

All is silent for a moment. A satisfied silence. Peaceful.

Then a polearm arise from the water and wash up onto the river bank as you hear a whisper on the wind, "Accept this with my thanks, I can rest now."

It is a particular type of polearm called a ranseur, which looks a bit like a cross between a spear and a trident. Think of a sai mounted on a six-foot pole. Investigation proves that it is magical: it's a +1 weapon and will return to the hand of its owner upon command.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

At the Fort

The following morning, all hands (apart from Dyfrig) turn out to dig graves and inter the mortal remains of the former zombies. Calinder officiates with appropriate rites. The atmosphere seems to clear, an air of peacefulness and calm prevails... and the sun comes out!

You then conclude your explorations of the fort. One surprise is that you find a decrepit and quite senile old man in the cellar... it's the Stag Lord's father, a victim of dementia and his son's cruelty. He's filthy, and lives in a nest made of ropes, rags, and furs.

You also have time to examine the items you've found. The Stag Lord possessed two unusual magic items, both of which the other bandits tell you he found amid the ruins of the fort when he first arrived in the area. The first is his suit of +1 leather armour; this suit consists of a heavy cloak, gloves, kilt, and boots, but leaves his chest bare — although the armour looks incomplete, it actually functions just as well as any suit of magic leather armour.

His second unusual item is his distinctive helmet. This striking helmet is crafted to resemble the skull of a mighty stag. Although made from bone, the antlers and helm are as strong as metal. When worn, the helm greatly enhances eyesight and hearing, granting a +2 competence bonus on Perception checks. In addition, once per day the helm may be called upon to enhance any ranged attack made by the wearer to make an insightful shot. Activating this ability is a free action, and once activated, your next ranged attack against a target within 30 feet is made as if that target were flat-footed against you. If you don't make a ranged attack within 1 round of activating this power, the insight fades and is wasted for that day. A worshipper of Erastil who wears this helm may utilize the insightful shot ability up to 3 times per day.

Do you want to rename the fort?


Male Human Witch 5

"Thanks spirit enjoy yer rest tis well earned."

Picks up the weapon
"Tis magic an useful, I be familiar wit tha spear an see how this might work, but it's use is beyond mah limited martial prowess tah weild correctly."


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

"It's not a weapon I am used to, but I believe I can make use of it. What about you, Lothar? And Barnabus, what sort of magic does it hold?"


Male Human Witch 5

"Tis a magic tha returns tha weapon tah tha master's hand."


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

"It's a large weapon to be throwing, isn't it?" If the others agree, she will find a likely target and throw the weapon to see this returning property in action. She will also go through some experimental maneuvers with it - thrusts and parries, etc., to see if she can get a feel for it.

Not sure this is a long-term weapon for her, but it intrigues me currently, so if no one else is proficient, she will carry it for now.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

The bodies laid to rest, Gorguk stands and stretches his bare back. It was a physically hard days work but fulfilling nonetheless. The men chipped in and brought honor to themselves and showed that they are indeed humans and not beasts of the region. Clapping some of the men on the back for a job well done. Gorguk turns to the lake to wash the dirt from his body. May e by coincidence, but as Gorguk rose from the water, the sun broke through the clouds and highlighted the old fort. Hmm, perhaps there is more here than first meets the eye. Tere is a lot to do and yet this is as good as any to start. Water, protection, hills for terracing for farms and a woods nearby. All that is needed is the right type of people here and this place can prosper. Must wait for the others to return from their trip though.

Gorguk will show as much hospitality to the Staglord's father as possible as long as the man does not do any harm to any present.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

The ranseur is really a bit unwieldy for a throwing weapon. However, its returning properties might come in handy given its propensity to catch on whatever/whoever it is poked into!

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

The Stag Lord's dad is in the advanced stages of what you and I would call Altzheimer's, poor chap. The best you can do is clean him up and keep him fed and warm, and keep an eye on him to stop him wandering off. He's quite timid, and shakes if anyone so much as raises their voice.


Male Human Witch 5

On the road back....

"I hast seen fighters who strike weapons from a persons hand, usually expectin them tah has tah reach down tah get it back, or gets knocked far away, returnin might be useful, or sleepin or an enimy gets a hold on it. Yah want tah try a few scenarios?"


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

I believe the plan was to continue back to Oleg's from Nettles'.

The elf listens to the witch's ideas. After a few moments of contemplation as they continue their trek, she finally replies, "Yes. Let's find the value of this odd weapon. It may be better sold than held, but we cannot know without testing as you suggest."


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Who among you men would be willing to care for this man. Age has merit in this area and should be taken into consideration. He who performs this task will not have to worry about other duties here. This will be you full time duties. Any volunteers?

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Dovan suggests that Auchs be tasked with looking after the Stag Lord's dad. Auch might be simple, but he can be gentle and he's strong enough to stop the old man running off into danger. When it's put to him, Auchs agrees to accept the task.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

"Gorguk, perhaps in time, as my powers that Erastil has granted me increase, I could do something to restore this poor elderly man. That would be my hope anyway. Perhaps with time, and gentle care, he may be healed naurally. My fear is though that he will never recover fully. We will just have to care for him as best we can."

3,151 to 3,200 of 4,477 << first < prev | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Megan's Kingmaker PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.