Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Megan's Kingmaker PbP

Game Master Megan Robertson

A game of Paizo's Kingmaker AP, with some of the best players it has been my pleasure to DM!
Campaign Map


2,601 to 2,650 of 4,209 << first < prev | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | next > last >>

Male Human Witch 5

Rides along with Calidar and the others headed for the staglord's fort.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

After four or five days' travel, you arrive in the vicinity of the Stag Lord's fort. It's on a hill, one that is devoid of any vegetation longer than a blade of grass apart from a few thorny vines, and can be seen from quite a distance. There are a few large boulders scattered around. The ground looks a bit disturbed, as if it gets dug over periodically.

On top of this hill is the fort itself, with a 30 foot wide clear area around it. The pallisade is a good 15 foot high. To the south-east, there's a bit of a dell where the ground is a bit sunken. Over the pallisade, several towers and rooftops can be seen, and a couple of pennants flying in the breeze. The whole looks pretty ramshackle.

A long path winds up the hill to the fort, some 300 feet in length, made of beaten earth.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Ready to wait for the night and have Lothar and Rhasa do their infiltration.


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasa stops the party as soon as she spies the fort so that they don't accidentally give themselves away. She will seek a campsite where the party can remain unseen for a few days, including the smoke and light from their campfire, if they decide to make one.

Survival 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27 +1 if this is forest, +2 if it is plains

Then she will find a vantage point where she can hide and study the fort while there is daylight.

Stealth 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21 +2 if this is plains

Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31 +2 if this is plains


Male Human Witch 5

"So this is the fortress o tha staglord."


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

As Rhasa went about securing a campsite for the group, the magician began to prepare for the scouting mission by surveying the area. The elevation provided by the hill would make a stealth approach difficult. The few boulders that were around would provide some cover for the ranger and himself, but that was it. The thirty foot of cleared ground around the fort was a standard measure to guard against a stealthy approach, as was the upturned ground further out.

That left the dell, the slight dip to the south east, as the best place to approach. And that worried Lothar, because it seemed to him that a lot of effort had been put forth to direct forces in that particular direction. No doubt some kind of trap was waiting for the overly curious who ventured there.

Of course, this analysis was subjective. The only way to know for certain was to go out and physically investigate.

Scouting and infiltrating would be a challenge, but Lothar felt more than capable of rising to meet it, especially with Rhasadilara assisting him.

Perception to see if any other details were missed that could be helpful to the scouting mission: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9. No help there.

Once the time comes for us to actually begin our mission, Lothar will set up the communications hub with two message spells: the first for himself and Golden Arm with the second being for himself and Gorguk. After that, he'll move out as stealthily as possible. Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28 Trying to save the vanish spells for emergency use.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

It is presently mid-morning.

Rhasa' determines that to be able to run a campsite including fire without worrying about observation, you'll need to settle in a nice dell that is about three-quarters of a mile away.

There is a stand of trees considerably closer, which could serve as a vantage point to observe the fort. A gully lets you approach and enter it without risk of being seen from the fort, but lighting a fire there would attact attention.


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Perfect


Male Human Witch 5

"Bandits are not usually farmers, maybe they bury victims behind the fort. This fort is older than tha staglord, who could ave built it?"

Knowledge history
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

The ranger pauses at the witch's comment. She studies the fort again, concentrating on the disturbed earth. Are we talking about the entire hillside, or only patches, being turned up?


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Or they have placed traps among the torn up earth, Barnabus.Be careful Lothar and Rhasa. Be on your guard and I will be ready to ride to your location as soon as you give the word.

Once the camp is set up, gorguk will relax and rest now so as to be ready if something should happen at night. The only change in his plans is if Akiros decides to go announce his defection today.


Male Human Witch 5

"I am thinking tha fort might be connected to tha silver mine tha sootscales live in, but I am uncertain."


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasa doesn't look at Barnabus as she replies, continuing to study the fort in the distance, "We are days removed from the Sootscales' cavern. Do you think they are connected underground, or perhaps the fort was built by those that originally mined the silver?"


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

They may have founded the mine but it has long been the claim of the Sootscales. I doubt that the bandits even fully know what is there. If so, they would have tried to enslave the kobolds and force them to work the mine. Likewise, I do not believe there would be an underground connection as the distance is too far and the kobolds would have found it by now.

Since we are 3/4 a mile away, Gorguk will indeed sleep now to travel with Lothar and Rhasa at night. Not to go with them the entire way but to be closer in case something should happen. 200ft approximately as this will allow Gorguk to run on Durok and gett o them in 1 round. Hopefully this distance will still allow Gorguk to remain hidden.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

Calinder is intrigued by Barnabus' question about the history of the fort and searches his memory for any knowledge he may have from his reading and studies of this land.

Knowledge (History): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Unfortunatelyatly I cannot recall if I have read anything regarding who may have built this fort, if it predates the Stag Lord."[/b]


Male Human Witch 5

"No not a tunnel, jus those who established the fort may have also mined fer silver."

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Both Barnabus and Calinder recall that numerous religous groups over the years have headed out here to set up communities, perhaps the place was originally built by one such.

Dyfrig says that when he was there, which was only briefly, he'd found a carving of a cruel-looking goddess called Gryonna which he thinks pre-dated the Staglord's arrival.


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

Gryonna? I'm not familiar with that one. What is she goddess of?


Male Human Witch 5

"Knowledge o religions is not one o my talents."


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

"Cruel-looking doesn't bode well."

I've been forgetting, but my terrain bonuses are available to my allies within sight. In plains terrain, Rhasa has (and shares) a +2 bonus on initiative checks and Knowledge (geography), Perception, Stealth, and Survival skill checks.


Male Human Witch 5

Spoiler:

So from the tree area would Barnabus be able to levitate high enough to see the internal lay-out of the fortress?

Likely would be shot at by a crossbow or two in that time also.

Likely the bandits would send out a patrol or go on alert.

"I would like tah get a peek inside tha fort, might arouse suspicion though, how bout after tha scoutin mission?"


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

From this far away, trying to look over a wall that high, you are going to have to be very high in the air. The good news is that you would be a very long bowshot from the fort. The bad news is you would totally destroy our chances of catching them unawares if they are paying any attention at all. Why not wait until after we take the fort and capture/kill the Staglord?

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

@ Barnabus: Yes but you would be in clear sight of anyone looking that way.


Male Human Witch 5

"Seems like a bad idea then."


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

I like your ideas Barnabus, but until we learn anything from Lothar's and Rhasa's scouting trip tonight, we better be more cautious than inquisitive. If they don't find anything of note, then maybe you can try your trick. Have Lothar help hide you as you go up as well.

Oops, never mind, Gorguk was sleeping. ZZZZZzzzzzzz....


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

"Gryonna you said Dyfrig? Well that would match with what I remember. That is, there have been many religious groups that have tried to settle in this area. As to who Gryonna is or what the followers are like, I'll need to think on that to see what I can remember."

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

"Well I think I remember that ..."

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

"... she's a pretty upleasant deity, known as the Angry Hag and it appears for good reason. Her priesthood is entirely female, and the dregs of society: ladies of negotiable affection, adulterors, unwed mothers and the like. They delight in stirring up trouble, turning friends against each other, and stealing babies. Their holy symbol is a single bloodshot eye, and the priests wear ragged black dresses. The faith exists mainly in the River Kingdoms, where the priests mostly harass passers-by, demanding money with menaces and the like."

Not bad, Cal! We'll make a theologian of you yet.


Male Human Witch 5

"You would have thought tha actual hags would ave mentioned tha before. Maybe males are not permitted to know an speak tha name...."


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

Lothar nodded as he listened to the priest spell out information on Gyronna. Good to know. Thanks, Cal.

The magician looked to Barnabus. I know not of the hags that raised you, but if they did not mention this Gyronna, then it was with good cause. It would seem she has little use for men and they had little use for her. Be glad of that.


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

"Lothar, what do you think of circling around to the back side of the compound - opposite the gate - at a distance before trying to approach and scout? If we are detected, it's less likely to inform the watchers of our camp's location."


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

I think we should do exactly that. Though I would imagine that bandits aren't exactly big on discipline, they may show their due diligence when it comes to security. Eyes open at all times. And know this, Golden Arm: I've got eyes on you.

And with that said, Lothar set about running a check on all of his weapons and gear.


Male Human Witch 5

"I suggest we set an exit strategy. I ken set an area (out of sight of the fort) with caltrops tha you both could avoid an lead the bandits into in case yer spotted and the bandits come out tah attack you."


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Looking up from her preparations, Rhasa shrugs, "Interesting idea. How would we avoid these caltops? My thought is we would exit in the same general direction as we entered. Once we are away from the fort and out of sight, they'll be hard pressed to follow out tracks back to the camp. I'll make sure of that. Where would you put your trap?"


Male Human Witch 5

"The idea would be to place it such tha you an Lothar would know where it is an if pursued you could both aviod tha danger an lure tha bandits within it."


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

Lothar looked up from his preparations. If we have need of your caltrops, Barnabus, I'll pass it along through the hub to Calinder. Though I think they would be better served for the actual assault. It's your call, though.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

Calinder listens with interest as plans are made for Lothar and Rhasa's scouting trip. And as he really has nothing to add, he muses some more over the information on Gryonna and wonders if the Stag Lord however unlikely has any ties to the "Angry Hag", or if it is just coincidence.


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

Are we just waiting for nightfall? I'm ready to do this thing.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

I think so, but don't know for sure.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

OK, the day wears on... finally the shadows begin to lengthen as dusk falls.

So, who's doing what?


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

Lothar looked to Rhasadilara and cast the first of his message spells. He next looked to Calinder, but the magician was hit with an idea, one that caused him to turn instead to Akiros. If you wouldn't mind, sir, I would like to form a link with you for the purpose of communication while Golden Arm and I are out gathering intelligence. I'd, of course, understand if you would rather not participate in this but there may come questions that we might need to have answered and I would rather have you be able to provide them as we encounter them. But if you feel it would further stain both conscience and honor before you quit your service to the Stag Lord, then speak up now and I will perform my casting upon our priest.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Gorguk will follow Lothar and Rhasa for a distance on Durok, approximately 200 ft away from the fort and wait there. Hopefully this is close enough to react to anything Lothar communicates through message yet not within spotting distance of those in the fort.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

"Of course, Lothar," said Akiros, bowing his head. "I may or may not feel able to answer you, but be welcome to ask... Watch out for zombies, they sometimes prowl the hilltop although I don't know where they come from."


Male Human Witch 5

"Zombies! Of course a graveyard of unrest. Tis necromoniconic magic in tha hillock tha fort is built upon."


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

All the more reason for me to come with you part ways. Hopefully you can bypass them so they don't attack or alert the fort.


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

At the mention of zombies, Lothar raised an eyebrow. That one little detail necessitated an extra degree of caution on an already dangerous operation.

He looked backed to his partner, a look of uncertainty etched across his face. But only for a moment. The magician's frown became a smile as he went and cast the second message on Akiros.

To Akiros: Thank you for that bit of information, sir.

To Rhasadilara: Ready to move out?

Lothar walked to the edge of the campsite and settled into a predatory crouch.

We were looking to circle around to the back side of the compound - opposite the gate - at a distance before trying to approach. I already rolled my Stealth check earlier: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28, but if you need for me to do so again, oh mighty DM, I will. Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29 . Take your pick.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

"Zombies you say, would you like me to come as well? Gorguk and I could handle them easily."


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasa shakes her head. "Zombies are slow, we can outrun them and bring them back to Gorguk if we cannot handle them." She reaches over her shoulder and pats her swordhilt as she says this.

Smiling at her partner, "Let's go. I see no need to change the plan," glancing at Akiros, "but that bit of information is good to know. Thanks."

Stealth 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (6) + 13 = 19 including +2 for favored terrain, a bonus that Lothar is also entitled to


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

At the point that Lothar and Rhasa leave Gorguk whispers, Good Luck and may Erastil be with you on your night hunt.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

All right then, spells cast and preparations made, Lothar and Rhasadilara set off into the darkness, with Gorguk tagging along behind and waiting at a safe distance. The sky is clear, with stars twinkling above you, but no moon.

Lothar and Rhasadilara:

As you approach you can see someone on one of the towers, muffled in a big cloak and leaning on a spear. Occasionally he looks around, scanning the hilltop in a desultory manner. Stealthily, you circle round and begin to climb up the rear of the hill well away from the path.

An owl hoots somewhere in the distance.

Halfway to the fort, the ground around Rhasadilara, who is in the lead, bursts open as a pack of four zombies lurch out of the ground to attack the intruders!!

Surprise round

Please hold: I have to take dealy beloved to the hospital (don't worry, routine appointment. Will attack when I get back.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Now back...

Two attack Rhasa'...

Zombie #1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10, dmg 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Zombie #2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17, dmg 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

The other two have emerged looking towards Lothar, but are not close enough to attack before he has time to react.

Initiatives, actions and necessary rolls, please.

2,601 to 2,650 of 4,209 << first < prev | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Megan's Kingmaker PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.