Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Megan's Kingmaker PbP

Game Master Megan Robertson

A game of Paizo's Kingmaker AP, with some of the best players it has been my pleasure to DM!
Campaign Map


2,551 to 2,600 of 4,406 << first < prev | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | next > last >>

Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Our dear DM is being kind to my soft-hearted hunter.

I forgot to comment on this yesterday, Lothar, but I could not figure out where you got Golden Arm from. I haven't really thought of her surname in quite a while -- I originally intended it as an arboreal reference, but have fun with it.

"No reason, in particular. I was concentrating on the one that seemed the threat - if not immediate, when he reached the Stag Lord. You have had a moment or two - with your wits about you, no less - to study them. And I value your judgement. If you feel they deserve the benefit of the doubt, I will give them no less."

She smiles, "But I will keep the bandit woman's axe near at hand, regardless."

When the two of them reach where the others are standing, Rhasa will introduce herself belatedly, giving each man (that will take it) a firm handshake.

"My apologies for Jex. I gave him a choice and could not but follow through when he took it. Is there anyone that might have a claim on his gear or coin? A mother or wife somewhere that might grieve his loss?"


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Gorguk will listen to Barnabus try to extract information out of Topper Red and look for clues to infiltrate and take out the Staglord. Hopefully Topper will reveal the exact description of the fort and how well its fortification may be. In the meantime, Gorguk will suggest that we mount up and return back to the kobolds lair and discuss these issues as we go. Hopefully Topper will continue his talking there and we can use Sootscales sand diorama to rebuild the fort and analyze it that way. Gorguk would be most interested in watch positions and shift rotations, along with how many men are left and their regular duties and activities inside the fort. By far the best idea is to still draw some more men out as a diversion and handle them piecemeal like the Wardens have been. Outside of showing up at their doorstep and challenging them to a fight, Gorguk isn't sure how ot handle this yet though. Maybe an idea will form once he hears more from Topper and sees the fort plans.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

"Gorguk, I like the thought of returning to the Sootscale tribe's home. It would offer many advantages over staying here in the wild outdoors."

With everyone else introducing themselves, Calinder steps up, and with a slight bow of the head says, "My name is Calinder, and I am a priest of Erastil and if there is anything I can do for you, please let me know."

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Fat Norry and Topper Red are content to accompany you, and busy themselves getting back on their horses.

Akiros Isamort says, "Jex was possibly the Stag Lord's favourite, he was well-established before I ever met him. He never spoke of anyone left behind to my knowledge." The other two agree, neither seems in the slightest bit unhappy about Jex's demise, it seems he wasn't popular with the other bandits.

Akiros, without being asked, assists in packing up your campsite. He 'harumphs' a couple of times at Fat Norry and Topper Red, they eventually get the hint, dismount again and lend a hand as well.

When asked about the Stag Lord's fort, Topper Red looks thoughtful.

"Remember that I am not a military man," he begins. "But I'll tell you what I can. There is a square pallisade surrounding a single building which has a raised walkway around it with vantage points, towers if you will. There's a single entrance through the pallisade, which is directly in front of the sole entrance to the building, which has but the one floor... oh, and a cellar of sorts. The raised walkway is in two parts. One is reached by stairs in back, from the ground. The other you can only get to from indoors. The building itself is pretty ramshackle, just about falling down in places, but the pallisade is fairly robust."


Male Human Witch 5

"An who inhabits tha fortress?"


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

"Just one obvious way into the palisade... is there perhaps a secret entrance? Is there anything preventing someone from coming up to the wall from another direction - a moat of sorts?"


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

There's always a secret entrance. The only thing we need to know is whether Akiros knew of it or not.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Gorguk will continue to listen to the floor plans the former bandits are revealing still trying to figure out a way to get everyone inside. If there was a secret passageway that would be helpful. Otherwise it is gonig to require stealth by Lothar and Rhasa to get us in at nightfall.


Male Human Witch 5

waits patiently as well......

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

"If there's a secret entrance, I don't know about it," says Topper Red. "But I didn't like the place much, didn't hang around any more than I had to..."


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasa presses, "What would keep someone from running up to another side of the fortress? A spike-filled ditch? Perhaps a trench of water with alligators within? Surely it doesn't just sit on the open plane with nothing to protect its flanks."

She looks around, "If so, it doesn't sound like a very defensible position. Good for us, but too good to hope for."


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

Agreed. Even if there isn't a secret entrance, at the very least there has to be a back door. A defensible structure should always have more than one point of egress. And its existence should be common knowledge to those charged with running it. Though given what little we know of the Stag Lord, it wouldn't be too hard to believe that such information would be withheld from others for his own gain.

Lothar paused momentarily before continuing. Rhasa and I should go scouting around the fortress compound not only to learn more firsthand data about the structure but to corroborate what we've just learned here. Fresh eyes on site can learn details that may have been missed by Topper and the others, especially if they are things that they would not have otherwise looked for.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

Calinder helps prepare to return to the Sootscale tribe as he listens to conversations going back and forth, but has nothing else to add himself at the moment.

As soon as the camp is packed up, he returns to where he was concealed to make sure that he left nothing behind. He then readies his horse for the return journey.


Male Human Witch 5

"A secret entrance might be too much tah hope fer, maybe we ken take them alseep err unawares."


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

"Maybe. They might be confident enough to not post a guard at night. Or maybe they don't post guards at all."


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

If you and Rhasa do decide to scout the fort at night, then we will be just out of sight of the fort but within hearing distance. I would not want a rogue guard to discover you and force you to into a fighting withdrawal by yourselves. We would stay as far away as your Message spell would allow so we would not be detected. Does this idea work for you? If so, than I suggest we head to the Staglord fort and not stay with the kobolds. The sooner we can rid the land of the Staglord the sooner decent people will be able to live their lives without the worry of banditry. Akiros, are you ready to leave in the morning and help us?


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

Leaving now would be most prudent. Those back at the fort wouldn't be expecting the return of Akiros and his patrol so soon. Lothar smiled. Yes, that does indeed work for me. Will we be sending our kobold friends back to the warren?

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Mikmek says that the kobolds will come along, unless you prefer that they report back to Sootscales...


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

By all means we should have the kobolds come along. They can by essengers is we need to the rest of the Sootscale clan. Also their ability to see at night could pose very useful if they take a watch and we rest to conitinue our campaign during the day.


Male Human Witch 5

"Agreed tha bandits already know o their kobold neighbors an might not percieve their appearance as an attack."

Eyes the bandits.
"How many floors does tha keep have?"


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasa says nothing, but it's apparent that she's ready to go.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Hope this is ok with everone what I am going to do with Topper Rad and Fat Norry. I don't want too many reformed bandits with us as we take on Staglord. Please say something contrary if you don't agree.

Not seeing any dissent, Rhasa will you lead us to the shores of the Tuskwater with Akiros. He should be able to direct us there while your keen eyesight will be vital in scouting the way forward. Although I doubt that we will see any more of the Staglord's troops, another party may be coming back and we would cross paths with them. Sidewinder, I know you wish to join us, but would you please show Topper Red and Fat Norry here the way to your tribe. They have surrendered and turned from their banditry ways. They are to help restore this land as payment for their crimes. Since they would not fight themselves, I am asking you to bring them to your chief so that they may start helping the Sootscales. They are not prisoners but to be treated as servants until they have paied their debts.

Even though Akiros has not done anything to the Wardens to indicate he is false, it would remiss of Gorguk to trust him fully. therefore, gorguk will ride 30ft behind Akiros but keep an eye on him rather than the surroundings.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

Calinder is a bit surprised by the sudden change in plans, but accepts it just the same. He nods his assent toward Gorguk.

As the kobolds prepare to lead the other two bandits back to the Sootscale tribe, he bids them farewell and a safe journey.


Male Human Witch 5

"Tis a fine plan as said we should decrease tha bandits within tha keep an this did accomplish tha goal."

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

"Of course," says Sidewinder, looking a bit relieved that he's not being asked to go into battle. "Come on, Fat Norry and Topper Red, we'll make you welcome..."

The two former bandits nod their assent and get ready to accompany Sidewinder.

Akiros looks grim.

"I will show you the way to the fort, and I will fight alongside you. But it somehow feels... traitorous? Wrong, anyway... to give you information about the place, information gained when my loyalty lay elsewhere. Maybe I should go in alone and tell the Staglord to his face that I no longer desire to serve him. That might straighten things out." It's clear that he is wrestling with himself about how he ought to proceed, now he's decided to abandon banditry and throw his lot in with you.

Mikmek and Nakpik are capering around, it's all a bit of a game at the moment for them. Dyfrig has got everything packed up and you are all ready to move out.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Although I do not have your background, I can understand the honor that is involved. I would not wish for you to enter the fort as you will surely not return alive. However, I would understand if you wish us to remain back out of sight of the fort as you ride up and openly declare that you no longer work for the Staglord. Lothar may even be able to accompany you invisibly in case something should happen. This way you would have some distance between you and them while still acting honorably. Since we are going to assault the fort, I would have you not state anything about us or the immediate future.


Male Human Witch 5

"Perhaps we might pen a charter explainin yer resignation of duties."


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasa looks at Akiros. "When you return to the fort, do you come back on the same trail as you left? Or do you take a different route back?"


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

Lothar ran a hand across his scalp, a thoughtful expression on his face. I'm not liking where this is going, Goruk. I think we should stick to Rhasa and myself scouting, then raiding it as a team. If we deviate from this, our chance for success diminishes as the risk of unforeseen variables enter into the equation. He paused to look around at the others before setting his gaze on the half-orc paladin. The magician continued, But, its not my call. If you think this is best, then I'll trust in that and see it through.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

"The patrol is a circular one, but the start and end points use the same track approaching the fort," says Akiros, who is contemplating the suggestions for how he might tender his resignation in a somewhat less risky manner than a face-to-face meeting.

All-day job interview tomorrow, not sure when I'll get online...


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

I agree that you and Rhasa should be teh ones scouting the fort when the time comes. I never meant for anything else. I just know that acting honorably in all things is a path that few can trod. If Akiros is trying to change his path, than the least I can do is allow him to act honorably in this instance. By no means would I have you scout while Akiros is renouncing the Staglord. In fact, it would be folly to do such a thing. However, if you and Rhasa were to scout the night prior to Akiros's announcement than there should be less risk for you and still honor for him. I thank you for raising your concerns though Lothar. It means much that you have the confidence and character to bring up these matters.


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

"If Akiros is concerned that his honor require him to resign before he can fight alongside us at the fort, perhaps it is not right to ask him to attack the fort at all. His swordarm will be of use to us in other endeavors, I am sure. But I am with Lothar, too, in that I will abide by your decision."

Best wishes on your interview!


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

Lothar nodded his head at the half-orc's words. He could sense Gorguk's dilemma: the paladin wanted to give Akiros every opportunity to prove himself but he also did not want to jeopardize the mission at hand. The mantle of leadership is a heavy burden, thought the magician, but he wears it well all the same. I do not envy him in the slightest.

It will be as you say, Gorguk. The night before, though that will leave us with little time to prepare. Thankfully, our ability to perform on-site analysis and relay our findings should alleviate most of the burden we have in doing so. Additionally, if we time our assault until after Akiros' renouncement of the Stag Lord, the potential for confusion amongst the bandits' ranks increases. Most may see it as Akiros making a play for the leadership though others may not. Regardless it is a situation that we can potentially use to our benefit.


Male Human Witch 5

"Tis a most fitting plan."


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

"I agree that the plan seems sound, although I am not a tactician. I also agree that we give Akiros a chance to withdraw from the Stag Lord's service if he would like, or if he wishes he could just not play a part in the attack on the fort."


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Very well then. When we approach the fort we will wait till nightfall to have Lothar and Rhasa scout the land and the conditions around the fort. Lothar will maintain his communication hub with all of us and alert us if anything should require our presence immediatly. In the meantime, the 3 of us will rotate 4 hour watches. Hopefully Lothar and Rhasa come back in time to still get their full complement of rest. If it takes them longer at night, then they rest while Akiros goes and announces his defection of the Staglord. At this time he asks for all those who would do likewise join him later as they slip away from the frot. This way any others who have redeeming qualities will have a chance to flee before we assault the fort later that night.

Hopefully this will give us the information we need, limit the numbers remaining in the fort and sow confusion and discord among those who stay in the fort. For myself, once we take on the fort, there can be no pause for mercy or leniency. That would only get us killed. We have done everything we could to save those that still may have good in them. If an 'innocent' should perish during this by my hand, so be it. I will have to worry about that later.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Heading off towards the Staglord's fort then, apart from Sidewinder, Fat Norry and Topper Red who are going back to the Sootscales Caverns?


Male Human Witch 5

Barnabus chats with his familiar in some strange type of communication...

"Calindar, Gorguk it occurs to me tha I know a spell I have yet tah use, tis similar tah obscuring mist, but is a fog cloud I ken set upon tha fort. I have not tha spell prepared, but could aid those approaching, cutting tha enemies vision tah 5 feet."


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Would that alert the people inside the fort more than hide Lothar and Rhasa. If it appears to be a natural fog coming in then that would be an excellent option Barnabus. Thank you.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

"Barnabus, how far away can you be when you cast that spell? My, thought is that it may make good cover for Lothar and Rhasadillara if they get in to a difficult situation."


Male Human Witch 5

"I ken cast it 140 feet away, it spreads from a point covers a 20-foot radius an will last 40 minutes."

"Tha bandits would likely know tis not a natural fog."


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

I would have that ready if Lothar nd Rhasa need to escape. Good thinking Barnabus.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Mikmek and Nakpik start badgering Barnabus for a demonstration.

"Magic fog? Sounds cool!" they squeal.


Male Human Witch 5

Barnabus determines to demonstrate magic to the pair, first attempting the slumber hex on Mikmek and then on Nakpik......

"You must wait tah see tha spell."


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

Then, if we are done, we should hurry on to the fort. Any other preparation that must be done can be finished once we've established a secure campsite.


male Half-orc Squire 2nd class~Paladin of Erastil Shining Knight (level 5)

Agree fully with that assessment Lothar. Akiros please lead us swiftly on. Fair wall to the rest of you going to the Sootscales. Until we see you again, may Erastil bless you. We ride to rid the Staglord of his power.


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Glad that all the talk appears to be over, Rhasa turns Sunset toward the fort. Akiros can lead the party down the best path, but she will scout alongside their route. Where they ride along the river, she will scout away from the water. Otherwise, she will range from side to side.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

After bidding farewell to the others returning to the Sootscales, Calinder rides along with the others, quietly contemplating what may befall he and his friends in the coming days.


Male Human Witch 5

"Tis time tah gather more knowledge o tha staglors palace."

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

We seem to have stalled a bit. Are you all right with moving on to your arrival in the vicinity of the Stag Lord's fort?

2,551 to 2,600 of 4,406 << first < prev | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Megan's Kingmaker PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.