Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Megan's Kingmaker PbP

Game Master Megan Robertson

A game of Paizo's Kingmaker AP, with some of the best players it has been my pleasure to DM!
Campaign Map


2,351 to 2,400 of 4,597 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>

Male Human Witch 5

"Lothar there be a spell I wants tah tries on them bandits, creates a great shiny magical dust an might even blind some o them."


male Half-orc Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 AC: 19/10/19 saves: F7+, R3, W5

Staying behind with the kobolds, Gorguk felt a twinge of guilt that he had not experienced before. Here he was resting and relaxing as an honored guest with Chief Sootscales while members of his team were out doing work. The twinge was not that he felt that they were not going to make the right decisions or that they would get into trouble and dangeer, but that he was sitting while they were doing something productive.

Needing something to do, Gorguk started to manually clean all of his gear and hone all of his weapons. That still wasn't enough. To calm his mind, Gorguk attempted to meditate but what seemed like hours was more like 20 minutes. NOt having anything better to do, Gorguk grabs his weapons and armor and starts to work off his boredom. Gorguk isn't gong through any paces or routines that he may face on the battlefield. No this is nothing but a full tilt workout to exhaust himslef and push as long as he can go. Running through the cavern, he pauses momentarily to ask where the exit is located and then proceeds to run outside in full kit. Once fatigued, Gorguk merely places his hand on his heart and says a prayer to Erastil. His blessing filling him once more and off Gorguk continueson his strenous pace. Finally some release. The strain is cathartic and Gorguk is finally able to find the peace within that he was looking for.

Liberty's Edge

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Nakpik scratches his head.

"The bandits ride along on the far side of the river, usually, heading north-east-ish... they don't come back this way. It is about as close as they come to our caves, thankfully. And we stay out of the way around the time they usually come by as they are not above taking pot-shots at any kobolds that they see."

I think you took horses, in which case Nakpik would have welcomed a lift on Sunset...


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasa will go over to the fording-point and carefully proceed, letting Sunset pick his way across.

"It's interesting that you never see them return. I wonder where their travels take them."


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

Calinder stays back at the Sootscales with Gorguk as the others go scouting. He makes plans as best he can for supporting his companions in the upcoming battle.

He watches Gorguk as he obviously becomes more anxious about something. Calinder not knowing what to do to help his friend, finally walks up to him while he is working out and says, "What is troubling you my friend?"


Male Human Witch 5

Once we ford the river....

"Fine a bit of scoutin afore we head back is fine, want I should find a tall tree an get a lay o tha land? Or maybe take a rope up so yah ken see fer yerself?"


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasadilara looks at the witch for a long moment. Finally, she says, "I think that's a fantastic idea, Barnabus. I would prefer to see the lay of the land from down here, but you are sure to see things from atop a tree that we will miss from the ground. Let's find that tree."

She's thinking that Barnabus in a tree might be a good resource when it comes time for the fight, so she's seriously considering planning the ambush to be below or just past the tall tree he will be scouting from.


male Half-orc Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 AC: 19/10/19 saves: F7+, R3, W5

Nothing that a little action and purpopse can't handle. I feel the tension that comes before the storm. Everyone knows it is approaching and the clouds are on the horizon, but the thunder and lightning has not struck yet. When Rhasa, Lothar and Barnabus return I hope that their news and the fact that they are back settle me down and we can discuss and plan for the ambush and removal of more of the Staglord's men.

I am not sure if I want this Akiros with the party or not. While it would give a perfect chance to capture him and converse with him, I am not sure if I am ready for that. Unfortunately I feel as if I will never be ready for that encounter. This is the real problem that has me distracted so.

Liberty's Edge

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

There are not many trees here, it's mostly rolling grassy plains... but a small clump of trees can be found including one which is strong enough for Barnabus to climb.

The track at this point goes into a slight dip. Looks like it would be possible to set an ambush here....

Dyfrig, meanwhile, is exploring the area and has found several herbs and berries to collect. He's showing the kobolds how to make 'bubbly berry pies' which they find delightful. The berries are dark purple, and very sweet and juicy, they make for good pies! Dyfrig calls them gloamingberries, as the small violet flowers the berry-bushes produce in spring alway open in the dusk (or gloaming, in some archaic form of language that it seems Dyfrig grew up with). If they have a proper name, he doesn't know it!

The kobolds, apart from liking the pies, are amazed. They didn't know such tasty stuff was to be found growing a scant 15-minute walk from their cavern!

It is now late afternoon.


Male Human Witch 5

Climb? Silly DM climbing is for mere mortals.

Using the tree mostly for cover barnabus levitates upwards higher and higher to get a lay of the land and hopefully spot any trouble that is coming.....


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasadilara is making sure to hide their tracks as they explore, plot, and plan. How far from the river is the aforementioned dip? Would it be a reasonable bowshot from across the river? Other than the copse of trees, is there other cover?


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

"I'm sure that they will be fine while they are out scouting. When they return, then we can plan how we are going to handle this group of bandits."

"As far as facing Akiros, I am also leery of that meeting as well, but will you ever feel ready to meet him in battle. The key is to not doubt or worry, but to rely in your strengths and talents, and also those of your companions and allies."

"My guess is though that this will be some kind of scouting party, and none of the big leaders will be present."


male Half-orc Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 AC: 19/10/19 saves: F7+, R3, W5

The worry is not meeting him in battle, the worry is meeting with him outside of battle. Am I ready to confront him about his past and the answers he will give in regards to his fall and possible redemption in the eyes of Erastil.

Liberty's Edge

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

The track, meandering along beside the river, goes through the dip. There isn't really any cover apart from the clump of trees...

Barnabus comes nose-to-nose with a very startled-looking heron, which was perched up the tree in question.


Male Human Witch 5

Barnabus activates feral speech to talk to birds.....

"My pardon I did not realize this tree was taken."

.....


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasa, not realizing that Barnabus is making friends with the local fauna, points out possible strategies and shares her thoughts and observations with Lothar and Nakpik on the ground below.

"Barnabus could watch from the tree to forewarn us of their approach."

"Some of us could wait within the trees - I'm thinking Gorguk, of course."

"We could hide in this tall grass. Since they will be lower as they come through this dip, that will help us."

"How do we start such a fight? I'm not used to being the one to start a fight, but I could certainly do so, cause them to focus on me and allow more melee-oriented folk to come from behind."


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

"Gorguk, do you believe that he can be redeemed? Do you intend to spare his life in the hopes that he can once again be turned onto Erastil's path?"

"That would be great indeed, if ... it could be accomplished. Although from what I have heard, once fallen from favor, the path back is difficult and not many choose to return to the life they once knew."

Liberty's Edge

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

The heron says, "It is quite all right, my good man. There is plenty of room... we just see so few human beings up here, you gave me quite a turn."

Yes, he has a posh English accent... :)


male Half-orc Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 AC: 19/10/19 saves: F7+, R3, W5

That is what we shall ahve to see my friend. Returning him to the brotherhood of Erastil would be a great accomplishment. However, hemay not want to return and in that case we shall see what type of person he was and who he is now. That is how we shall determine his fate. I want to give him the chance to explain his story none-the-less.


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

Lothar looked thoughtful as he considered the plan put forth by his partner. Gorguk could be the one that initiates the conflict. I think he would rather have it that way. As far as initiating the conflict, well I have no doubt that the big man will make his intent clear to the bandits before the fight begins. I should be the one waiting in the trees, to cut off any possible retreat from the killing ground. You and Calinder providing missile support should pin them down. Barnabus unleashing his spells from above will add more confusion to their ranks.

The magician nodded his approvingly as he turned to regard Rhasadilara. I think you tactical acumen is improving. Our time together as partners has been mutually beneficial, as I have learned much from you as well. A somewhat mischievous look crossed his face. In fact, we may have to play together when this is done. What do you say to that?


Male Human Witch 5

"Even fewer who speak normally, I wager."


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Eyebrow raised, she looks at Lothar for a long moment. Finally, she says, "Actually, I was thinking I needed a chance to practice with my blade. I have seen experts use such blades as if they were daggers, the moves quick and precise. I should like to attain that level of skill. One cannot always count on being at a distance when it comes to battle."


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

What do you have in mind, partner?


Male Human Witch 5

Barnabus waiting for the bird to respond will grab a limb and wait for the levitation to expire, or if no information is forth-coming will instead take a good look around and lower himself to the ground.


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)
Lothar Narda wrote:
What do you have in mind, partner?

"You've caused me to consider my role in things. I have spent so much of my time and training on the bow... It is important that we have a ranged option, for certain, but there are times when I will not be able to avoid a face-to-face conflict or I will need to choose to engage an enemy to aid one of our friends."

She shrugs, "I need to be as skilled with the blade as I am with the bow, as my ancestors strove for. It will only make us collectively stronger."


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

That it would. Which for this to work properly means that I need to become more accustomed to the role of bowman, as there may come a time when I won't be able to make use of my close-quarters training. I have some skill with a bow, but not nearly as much as yourself. We can learn from each other, which is how it should be with the best partnerships. And to strengthen the Wardens collectively.


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

As his discussion with Gorguk winds down, Calinder says, "Well I think I'll go take some time to contemplate which spells will be best for me to prepare for our meeting with this group of bandits.

Calinder then excuses himself and goes to find a quiet place near the entrance to the Kobold's home.


male Half-orc Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 AC: 19/10/19 saves: F7+, R3, W5

Good luck Cal and my you rest easy and with a light heart. I hope that Erastil blesses you during this and that we both have a renewed and fresh look on the situation. I will let you know if I hear that the others have returned.

Gorguk after having run himself into exhaustion and having a chance to sit and talk with Cal finds it easier to meditate and spends the next 2 hours at peace.

Liberty's Edge

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

The heron doesn't seem to have anything else to say, although it is still gazing tather curiously at the levitating witch!


Male Human Witch 5

"Found A heron up there tried tah chat it up fer information, but didn't get very far. how does things looks down here?"


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasa looks at Lothar and Nakpik. "I think we have the beginnings of a plan. Enough to return to the warren to discuss, at least."


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

We have...something. Whether its a plan or not remains to be seen. Regardless, I think we should head back as well to discuss it over with Gorguk and Calinder.

Liberty's Edge

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

OK, you may arrive back at the Sootscale Cavern about mid-afternoon without further incident.


Male Human Witch 5

"Gorguk Calindar! Somehow we survived an found our way back without yer keen senses."

***smiles broadly****


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

"Nakpik, I would like to show the others what we have found. Does your tribe have a place where we can make a model of the area we just explored?"


male Half-orc Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 AC: 19/10/19 saves: F7+, R3, W5

Welcome back. I hope that you were successful in your endeavors and found a suitable location that we may ambush the bandits that pass through the area. Please fill us in along with your thoughts on any plans you have of the area and us.

Liberty's Edge

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Nakpik takes you to Sootscale, who has a sand table in his chamber (now that he's cleaned out the mess and repossessed it!).


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasa works with Lothar to recreate the scene from the ground level, asking Barnabus for any clarification that he might be privy to from his higher vantage point. Once they agree that it is accurate, she will show it to the others - including any from the tribe that are interested.

"This looks like a good candidate. Before we try to make suggestions, what does your military mind see, Gorguk?"

As I recall (and/or imagine), we have a trail running alongside the river with a shallow depression near a small copse of trees. There is medium- to tall grass in the area off the trail and there are few trees between the trail and the river. Please correct me if I've mistated something or left out significant features.


male Half-orc Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 AC: 19/10/19 saves: F7+, R3, W5

I see the location of a couple camping for the night and discussing the future...where to place a homestead etc. The trees provide a windbreak while the river provides fresh water. It appears that the two are used to the harshness of the outdoors but not prepared for the problems that bandits others would cause. A bow and arrow set should be visible along with fresh meat that one of them just brought down. Of course they are in the trees sheltering themselves. This is the picture that would present to any who would pass by. Of the rest of the group, Barnabus would be up in the trees providing a look out and tactical acumen. One would hide in the tall grass out of sight but within earshot. The other would be closer to the river if possible but if there is not adequate cover than in the grass as well but 30ft apart as to limit the noticability of those hiding. The danger lies in the bait not being armored or armed initially unless an adequate cover can be provided for one of them. With Lothar providing a speaking connection, then all of us will be aware and now when to spring the trap. This scenario also presents itself with the possibility that the bandits are not hostile. If that is true then we avoid bloodshed and remove a threat peacefully. Initially i thought that Lothar and Rhasa would fit the roll of the bait. Lothar does not need any weapons and Rhasa would have her bow. Also that allows for a male and female to be present at the site. Healing is present and retreat is an option with Lothar's vanish ability. The problem is that Durok and I are not very stealthy. I would take Durok to chase any that escape. Any suggestions or problems?


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasa's mouth drops open as Gorguk speaks. It snaps shut and she shakes her head, "No, that's... that sounds good. I would add that I will have my blades near at hand, but hidden. Sunset and the cart could certainly add to the scenario of a couple moving, sweeten the bait if they are hostile, and provide a place for those blades."


Male Human Witch 5

"Aye back or up an away from tha fighten is a fine placement fer a spellcaster."

"I beleive Calindar meant tah tangle them in some weeds an then I was gonna attempt a magic dust storm upon their heads, an then yah ken ave yer way wit em."


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

"Those sound like good options for bandits attempting to flee. It's good to have resources in reserve rather than use them all at once. What effect will these tangling weeds and dust storms have on those of us in the battle?"

Looking at Gorguk, she asks, "Is there magic that could quiet an area where you and Durok awaited the bandits? That would do much to help you remain undetected, I would think."


Male Half-elf Cleric 5

Calinder greets his companions upon their return. As they go into Chief Sootscale's chamber to discuss the plans, he studies the diorama that Rhasa, Lothar and Barnabus create.

As Gorguk lays out the plan that has come to him as if by inspiration, Calinder marvels at the military planning ability that Gorguk possesses. Then he ponders further and realizes that most certainly that was part of his training.

In reply to Rhasadilara's question Calinder says, "The magic that I could use would create an area that would cause the plants to try to grab and hold all those who are in or venture into that area, ally and foe alike."

"Therefore we would want to avoid that area. It may just slow them down, but it may also hold them fast making them unable to move towards us."


male Half-orc Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 AC: 19/10/19 saves: F7+, R3, W5

When asked about magic trhat would aid in hiding Durok and Gorguk, he in turn looks to the spellcasters in the group. What Rhasa suggests sounds like a great idea. Do you know how to pull of such magics? If so, would it affect Lothar's speech to us as well? If not, then we should be able to hide undetected until you call for us.

Basically wondering if it is ok that I volunteered Rhasa and Lothar for the dangerous part? If so, then I am ok witht he plan. If not then please say soemthing.


Male Vudran bard (magician) 2/ninja 3

Lothar listened to the paladin's plan, his right hand running over the smooth surface of his scalp as he did so. This brought back memories to the magician, of the first time he offered a semblance of trickery and chicanery to the big man. The half-orc at that time had been unwilling to use such methods.

He looked over to Rhasadilara, his partner, and her expression had said everything that needed to be said. He would have to talk with Gorguk later when the opportunity presented itself about this change, but now was not the time to do so.

I have no problem participating as bait in your plan, though I can not speak for Rhasadilara. Lothar's head bobbed up and down as he mulled it over further. It is sound and though it carries great risk, the reward is certainly worth the undertaking.

As far as quieting magic goes, that it is something I do not have in my repertoire of spells at this time, though it is something that I can learn to perform. However, I have heard that priests can cast such spells as well. Maybe Calinder can prepare it for use when the time comes, if he has access to such magic. And though it would indeed block my own communication method, I do not think we should abandon the use of the spell for that reason. With proper planning, we can use that limitation to our own advantage.


Elf Ranger (Guide, Skirmisher)

Rhasa did not even blink at your suggestion. She's fine with playing the part of bait.


Male Human Witch 5

"Aye iffen Calendar ken hold them in place i ken throw tha magic onto them covering them in shiny particles, such tha they ken not hide an even blind a few o them, then you will know fer certain which err still a danger."

"How long lasts yer tanglment?"

"My dust comes and is gone quickly though it be best no friend be within it."


male Half-orc Paladin 2 HP: 18/18 AC: 19/10/19 saves: F7+, R3, W5

Very well it seems that we are least in agreement as to what must be done and generally where everyone must be. Now the only question is when will the patrol come and how soon should we ride out to set the stage. Remember though that even though we may use some trickery now, we must make sure they start hostilities. I do not want to turn away from the path we have set now that we are so close. The truer we are the easier it may be later for those to follow in our footsteps. Taking the high road is not always easy or safe, but we can rise above that and make this area a safe place for all.

Liberty's Edge

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Sootscales listens quietly, and is intrigued by the diorama.

"Is there anything we can do to help?" he asks.


Male Human Witch 5

"Does a specific scout or scouts who have seen them ken tell us tha days of the men's passing an tha time, maybe even tha phase o tha moon err how oft a patrol passes."

2,351 to 2,400 of 4,597 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Megan's Kingmaker PbP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.