Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Megan's Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Megan Robertson

Paizo's Curse of the Crimson Throne AP, running under the Pathfinder ruleset.


2,751 to 2,800 of 5,958 << first < prev | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | next > last >>

Male Elf Magus 7 AC 23/13/21, HP75/75, F9/R5/W6, Init +4, Perception +13+2 Alertness,
Silf:
Perception +13, HP 29/29, AC 24/15/21, Saves F5/R9/W7, Bite Attack +8, 1d3-2 damage, doesn't provoke when charging

Varrel replies in the same secret tongue as the not so stealthy bird.
Ashe projected through Majenko that we should head to the temple. That makes sense since the Bishop is the most powerful neutral ally we have in all of this. As for the others, they are all strong and capable adventurers in thier own right. Even the Gnome radiates competence. They will be fine. I just hope they caught Ashe's messege to meet us there.

He continues along at a steady pace. The cathedral was not faron horse back. He thought of his companions and still foundhimself worrying. His thoughts with one in particular, " I hope Una is alright..."


Shakhan returns his shield to his back. The town seemed quieter here, near the docks - when compared to the bustle at the would-be execution. Still... busy enough not to stand out much. "Blasted paladin," he mumbles, though not too loudly - hardly anybody got startled.

An old fisherman was throwing his line into the dredge. Though it was unlikely to bring up anything good. Probably just doing it to feel a tug on the line. Or maybe to get the nag of a wife out of his ears.

Shakhan ambles passed without haste. Not much call for him tonight, he'd figure he'd find something mindless to take his mind of things. "Not my funeral," he spits as he decides on a cheap and disreputable inn.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Everyone who is going there reaches the Cathedral without incident. It is full dark by now, and storm clouds are gathering although it hasn't started to rain yet.


Male Elf Magus 7 AC 23/13/21, HP75/75, F9/R5/W6, Init +4, Perception +13+2 Alertness,
Silf:
Perception +13, HP 29/29, AC 24/15/21, Saves F5/R9/W7, Bite Attack +8, 1d3-2 damage, doesn't provoke when charging

Having been the first to Arrive, Varrel deposited the woman with an Acolyte he recognosed withxinstructions she be bought before the bishop. Having Made himself known he waits in the foyer for his companions arrival and to give the Bishop time to revive and question the woman. As his companions arrive he jumps up, relief clear upon his face


Male
Usable:
Smite Evil: 4 / 1; Lay On Hands[Chanel: PE]: 7[11 c:pe] / 1 [4]
Human Paladin 6 / Bard 1 / Holy Vindicator 1 | AC 24{28 ‘32’} [se: 28{32 ‘36’}] T 12 ‘16’ [se: 15 ‘21’] FF 23{27 ‘31’} [se: 27{31 ‘35’}] | HP 68/68 | F +13 R +11 W +15{+16enh} | Init +1{+2} | Perc {+7}
Common Skills:
Bluff +9, Diplomacy +10(+11K), Heal +15, Kno {Religion} +10, Perform {Sing} +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +5

The carriage rattled along the streets of Korvosa heading steadily away from the Grand Mastaba. Ashe sat back in the seat pondering the evenings activities trying to reason at the Queen's motivations for her erratic miss-deeds.

A patrol of Korvosan Guardsmen hail the carriage to halt and Marcum does so speaking to the soliders.

Ashe opens the curtains and shutters of the window next to him, "Is there a problem officer?"

Two guardsmen walk over the officer and a private holding a lantern.

"Aye there milord, what be your name and destination?"

"I am Sir Asherick Whiteplume-Stolyarev of House Endrin and I'm heading for the Temple complex of the Pantheon of Many."

The Guardsman seeing the shock white hair and frosty blue eyes recognizes Ashe and straitening his posture replies, "Oh, Sir Whiteplume! Greetings Lord, there has been an... incident at the Castle and we are combing the streets for the miscreant. You have not seen anyone strange skulking about by chance Sir?"

Seeing the Guardsman fully in the light Ashe recognizes him as well having worked a few times with the Korvosan guard that have the night patrols of the Heights District, "Ah, Lieut Trowden, No I've seen no one riding here in my carriage my curtains were drawn and shutters closed sorry. How's your boy - Daniel doing in the Guard training?"

The Guardsman Officer puffs up his chest obviously proud a nobleman would remeber him and actually ask about his son... of who he was indeed quite proud, "Yes Sir Whiteplume, Daniel is advancing well Milord... he's still leaving his left-side a little open in swordplay but he'll do fine with more training! Thank you for asking Milord and sorry to have bothered you... have a fullfilling evening vespers at the Temple, Lord Whiteplume!"

"My thanks Lieut. Trowden, good even."

With that the carriage continued on following the major street and the Guardsman patrol continues on.

---------

Eventually, the Carriage arrives at the Temple of the Many and Ashe exist the carriage charging Marcum with heading straight home and informing his mother and sister of his safety. Marcum grimaces hating being the bearer of incomplete news as he knows Lady Whiteplume-Stolyarev will want details he doesn't have. But Marcum convinces Ashe to let him stay to at least help him get armored again.

Majenko flutters down the perche upon Ashe's shoulder from his concealment on the roof of the carriage - nuzzling Ashe for more jerky.

Ashe scratches the mini-dragon affectionately and agrees to Marcum's reasonable request. They enter the Temple complex heading for the Iomedean Chapel portion. The Acolyte, Corporal Shandril Arunmark, the local cleric of Iomedea performing evening devotions.

Shandril smiled, "Sir Whiteplume, its good to see you... I trust your efforts of the evening were successful? A courier brought a missive from your Sword Knight in Absalom and a... package. I forwarded on your recent reports on the recent local events."

Ashe saluted her, "Yes, Milady Corporal, they went as well as hoped. I'll be reclaiming my weapons and armor I had sent here. A letter and a package?

Shandril grinned stepping forward to hand Ashe the letter with the seal of the Iomedaen official orders a look in her eye that she already knew some of its contents though the letter was clearly unopened, "Yes, I never doubted you would have success... the goddess protects. I laid out your gear in the Temple ossuary in wait."

"Very good, milady. My thanks."

Entering the small Ossuary Ashe finds his weapons and armor, as well as a new cloak and cassock. The cloak is red on one side and white on the other and trimmed in gold. The cassock is white as well and similarly trimmed in gold. Nowhere in sight are his normal grey cloak and armor cassock. Ashe ponders this... but does not question the matter.

Ashe changes out of his courtier finery and dresses quickly into his gray Explorer's clothing outfit and golden hued Full Plate with Marcum's assistance. He did not get a chance to read the letter as Marcum queried him with question after question about the details of the Execution rescue as likely Ashe's mother.

Completely rearmed and armored Ashe gave Marcum his leave. Ashe found as he adjusted the fitting of Majenko's buckles on his barding and adventurer's sash he realized - his left gauntlet was missing.

As if on cue Shandril entered the ossuary with a small chest, "This package arrived for you... Sir Whiteplume."

Ashe opened the small chest and eyes widened at the golden gauntlet with a small cloth of white attached to the back of it emblazoned with the symbol of Iomedae resting within... An Inheritor's Gauntlet! A holy relic common among the respected faithful.

Ashe opened the letter to read the brief missive...

'Respected Sir Whiteplume' from Colonel Delia 'The Pure',

Asherick, it is good to see your sterling advancement among the faithful of the Inheritor's swords. You have come a long way from the unhappy fatherless nobleman's boy I met so many years ago when I was a lieutenant in Korvosa's Iomedan Chapel at 'The Pantheon of Many' there. Honestly the Sword Knight's considered Korvosa a city too held in the grip of avarice to put too much effort other than a token but you proved to be a heart of gold in a wilderness of wickedness. Time and again you have stood for justice and have advanced the cause of the goddess at every turn - as a noble citizen of Korvosa, a Pathfinder, even as an Andoran Faction supporter. You have upheld the principles of defense and devotion to the protection of the innocent and mercy where possible to the wicked. You efforts and struggle have not gone unnoticed. We of the First Circle have agreed that a promotion in rank is long overdue for your efforts.

Congratulations, Lieutenant Whiteplume-Stolyarev.

As a reward for your flawless service we have awarded you this holy relic to aid your efforts and keep the goddess close when all others turn away. We trust you will recompense the Order with your own support.

It is in part our fault no higher ranking cleric of Iomedae has been assigned to Korvosa because of your presence there. We now wish to expand our operations in Korvosa. From what we know there is a now abandoned temple of Aroden within Old Korvosa, under most disreputable usage. If your efforts might find a way to secure this once holy edifice a full restoration of its holy usage by the Inheritor's faithful would be one of our chief investments in Korvosa.

Good work Lieutenant Whiteplume-Stolyarev, its time to step out of the shadows Once - 'Grey Knight' of Korvosa.

Goddess Bless.'

. . . .

Ashe had little to say and Shandril Smiled at him, "...I got a letter as well Lieut. Whiteplume, congratulations!"

Ashe merely nodded and picked up the gauntlet placing it upon his left hand solemnly. With a quill and paper Ashe wrote a missive to his estate to have the sum amount of 2,700 gold donated to the Iomedaen temple.

"Thank you milady Corporal. I must go... I have more efforts to see to this evening."

Shandril saluted Ashe, "For Victory, For the Heart - Lieutenant 'Sir' Whiteplume!

Ashe replied, "Until All are One - Corporal Arunmark."

---------

Ashe made his way to the Cathedral of Pharasma and seeing Varrel waiting walked over to him.

"Friend Varrel, has the Bishop seen our... guest?"


Male Elf Magus 7 AC 23/13/21, HP75/75, F9/R5/W6, Init +4, Perception +13+2 Alertness,
Silf:
Perception +13, HP 29/29, AC 24/15/21, Saves F5/R9/W7, Bite Attack +8, 1d3-2 damage, doesn't provoke when charging

Varrel is relieved to see Ashe arrive in one piece, but worried the man's actions after may have imcited more violence.
She has been with the bishop since I arrived. How fare the others?


Male
Usable:
Smite Evil: 4 / 1; Lay On Hands[Chanel: PE]: 7[11 c:pe] / 1 [4]
Human Paladin 6 / Bard 1 / Holy Vindicator 1 | AC 24{28 ‘32’} [se: 28{32 ‘36’}] T 12 ‘16’ [se: 15 ‘21’] FF 23{27 ‘31’} [se: 27{31 ‘35’}] | HP 68/68 | F +13 R +11 W +15{+16enh} | Init +1{+2} | Perc {+7}
Common Skills:
Bluff +9, Diplomacy +10(+11K), Heal +15, Kno {Religion} +10, Perform {Sing} +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +5

Ashe ponders the situation, "I know not. I actively sought to take the slowest route here to give our foes the greatest amount of time needed to find me, so that if I was identified beyond reason no one else would be implicated. No one knows or suspects anything."

Ashe is wearing his light grey colored tabard, but his armor cassock that he wears under his golden hued armor is not grey but white and his cloak as well is different - white outside but red within. Though as the Greyeagle, Ashe wore only dark grey hues and Varrel knows that is one shade of grey Asherick 'The Gray Knight' never wore in public at least - always varying shades of a light grey hue. The only thing familiar is the garishly colored Kapenia scarf at Ashe's neck that Majenko {also fully equipped, again} was curled up in on Ashe's armored shoulders - preening. But everyone knew the traditional cultural scarf worn by many Varisians were always garishly colored and only a True Varisian could likely tell them apart.


Male Elf Magus 7 AC 23/13/21, HP75/75, F9/R5/W6, Init +4, Perception +13+2 Alertness,
Silf:
Perception +13, HP 29/29, AC 24/15/21, Saves F5/R9/W7, Bite Attack +8, 1d3-2 damage, doesn't provoke when charging

I'll wait for the others to chime in before posting


Human Crossbow Weapon Master 4 / Sniper Rogue 2 / Hunter 2

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the castle...

Una guards her charges against the throng of alarmed citizens. The fear at the queen's potential response was already filling the crowd. Another reason to curse the unthinker.. She looked around for Diggle and Hytogg, and Shakhan, hoping that they can group up again before heading to the Cathedral.

"Where is Shakhan going? This is no time to go back to whoring and drinking. We can do that once we're sure everyone is safe from the singing paladin's lapse of judgment. And why didn't the gods smite him? A nice bolt of lightning to the frontal lobe could have smacked some sense into him."


Male Gnome Sorcerer / 5

Diggle follows the group with little consideration at all for any threat or hazard due to recent actions. He says little at all waiting for interesting things to develop.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Bishop d'Bear - already all gussied up in formal vestments for the evening service - takes one look at Varrel's charge and directs that she be taken to the infirmary forthwith.

She looks at Varrel. "I don't think I want to know... at least, not until after Dark Vespers. Please wait on me in my office once the service has ended."

Ashe's carriage arrives as the great bell begins to toll, as it does for the minute before Vespers begins.


Male Elf Magus 7 AC 23/13/21, HP75/75, F9/R5/W6, Init +4, Perception +13+2 Alertness,
Silf:
Perception +13, HP 29/29, AC 24/15/21, Saves F5/R9/W7, Bite Attack +8, 1d3-2 damage, doesn't provoke when charging

Varrel inclines his head towards the front doors and leads Ashe out. Back out on the steps he takes a deep breath and sits down at the top of the carved staircase leading into the street. Chatterbeak, fly up and search around for the others a few blocks.

That done he sits and stairs at the people passing by about thier business. It was still quiet in this district but Varrel had noted gossips talking about a commotion at the castle. It would not be long before the Hellknights were out in force along with the Korvosan guard.

The bishop said she'll speak to us after services. Go see the real Trinia if you wish, I will wait here for our companions..... Varrel looks very thoughtful and very worried. The temporary relief he felt at Ashe's arrival was gone.
We don't really have much means as a group to communicate when we separate. Hytogg and I will have to look into that. Every thing has moved so fast today. I feel as though this city is about to rip itself apart. The queen WILL find a scapegoat for what happend today.....Ashe, the system here.....it is not working. I am not from here but I have seen this woman's like in many Chelish households in Westcrown. I know not if that girl we rescued today is guilty of anything or not, but she was to be killed to manipulate the populace. The hellknights, Trinia, your...OUR actions today, all of it has been a long series of excuses for the queen to increase her stranglehold upon Korvosa. An 'attack' on her power took place within her own walls. She has all she needs now to implement martial law....

Varrel looks down cast as he figets with some grit on the stair. I'll not continue this until we are all together again. I worry for all our lives, but what'smore I am worried for the suffering these people are about to endure.
He casts his arms around, meaning to encompass the people and all the surrounds as he speaks.

Then he stands and looks at his always hopeful, always heroic and seemingly shortsighted friend. We all need to have a talk, as soon as we are together and done with the bishop. And I think we need to see if that prophet spirit has any knowledge of what's to come.

He then returns to looking out at the alleyways and streets, hoping to see the rest of the small circle of friends he had gathered.....

You should go see Trinia before the others arrive. She will want to know how her 'Champion' fairs.


Male
Usable:
Smite Evil: 4 / 1; Lay On Hands[Chanel: PE]: 7[11 c:pe] / 1 [4]
Human Paladin 6 / Bard 1 / Holy Vindicator 1 | AC 24{28 ‘32’} [se: 28{32 ‘36’}] T 12 ‘16’ [se: 15 ‘21’] FF 23{27 ‘31’} [se: 27{31 ‘35’}] | HP 68/68 | F +13 R +11 W +15{+16enh} | Init +1{+2} | Perc {+7}
Common Skills:
Bluff +9, Diplomacy +10(+11K), Heal +15, Kno {Religion} +10, Perform {Sing} +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +5

Disclaimer: This is long! Sorry...

Ashe approached his spirits high, but quickly notices the troubled spirit of his elven friend, and silently listens to his voiced concerns.

He is silent for a few moments afterward pondering Varrel's words...

"Friend Varrel, we are all only mortal. The only thing any of us owns is our own actions... right or wrong. But... that is not the limits of it either... we are also individually responsible - Only for what we choose to do. Baring supernatural possession or magical influence no one makes us make the choices we make... we own those - Solely! If the Queen decides to act in anger and in pettiness.. we are not to blame for her actions that she chooses to take. We are no more responsible for her actions than you are for mine or anybody elses'. WE decide if we are going to be good people or evil people. All through history villains have used the excuse 'they made me do it...' or 'I was only following orders...' or some other cop-out or rationalization for doing what their wicked hearts have motivated them to do. That is no one elses' fault or responsibility other than their own!"

"Tonight, we had a choice. To stand by and watch an injustice happen or take action to stop it. WE choose to oppose it! No one forced or made us do that... any more than anyone else forced or made the Queen seek petty vengeance for her slighted pride! One could counter argue the validity of - what if's... or the specter of the unknown possibilities until one was frightened into total non-action... but the honest truth is this... the worse evil good beings can do is stand aside and let evil do as it wills! We choose to take a stand tonight... whatever the results... our actions were motivated by a heartfelt devotion to justice and truth. That is Never a bad thing!"

Ashe sighs, and sits down next to Varrel.

"The system does not work? Let me tell you honestly Varrel... where mortal beings are concerned there IS no perfect system that works ALL the time! Same goes for laws and guilt... it is tacitly flawed to try to 'Universally' apply the exact same black and white 'law' or 'code' in every situation... because every situation can often be different. It is the principle of Justice, the principle of Truth that must be fought for and strived for achieving. The 'war' on evil cannot be won by merely engaging in more killing it defeats the cause to kill without mercy for that is often not Just or True!"

"I agree the system is flawed most definitely, but it is a far cry better then devils ruling unopposed as in Cheliax! Where there is free will to chose one's own actions there is the inherent possibility that someone will choose to act only in their own self interests regardless of the suffering it brings about. That does not mean anarchy is best... 'might makes right' is certainly, rarely ever Just or True, far from it! Anarchy is far worse!"

"Winning the war against those who practice evil is not in the body count of those slain but in the willingness to stand and oppose those same wicked beings every time they rear their heads. Not Death being dealt out in the cause of justice... but Devotion to the cause of Justice dealing out appropriate punishment for wickedness always mindful to show mercy where one can... THAT is Justice that is Truth! Not the wholesale - 'eye for an eye' that vengeance demands!"

"Will the war ever be won, that question does not matter... the war is won already because people like you and I, Field Marshal Kroft, Bishop d'Bear and a multitude of others are willing to stand against the wicked.. that is the victory! The war will be lost the day no one has the heart to make a stand for those principles.

"Is this city in peril? of course it is...like countless other cities and nations across the world... but there are still good people who strive to make this city better than that... if we have the heart to keep our eye open for the good in those that have it within them! It again comes back to mercy."

He pauses marshalling his will.

"In the Dead Warrens... nothing I did there was necessarily right and nothing you did was necessarily wrong either. Could Cabbagehead have changed his life and turned away from serving evil masters? Maybe. Could Nexus fall back to his wicked nature and again serve evil? Possibly. But the principle of Justice is to give a chance for redemption... sometimes, indeed the wicked will continue to be wicked... but evil knows no mercy... if we emulate them... how different are we from them?"

"Think on this Varrel.. you served a Cheliax lord for many years as his bodyguard. If we our party had broke into his home one night with a mind to slay him because he was sacrificing the innocent to his devil lords and you rose to defend him... would killing you have been justified? Don't answer that, its rhetorical. How different is Cabbagehead's case? We will never know. Same situation... universally applied answer - that being summary death... totally wrong answer - as you have personally proven time and again! You are a good person Varrel we would have ended a great potential for goodness from the world by simply applying the same answer of 'death' to all who serve evil in every case."

He sighs, "I have come to know that good and evil are rarely so simple as to be 'black' and 'white'...but..."
... and Ashe gestures encompassing his ...now reduced grey apparel, "...shades of gray. Hence why I'm the Gray Knight of Korvosa."

"That is second reason I am so adamant about trying to find the good in everyone. The main reason is this..."

Ashe turns to look Varrel in the eyes and it is an expression and coldness in his frosty eyes he has never seen before an unyielding and heartless certainty...

"I have killed many evil beings in the cause of justice. My hands are drenched in the blood of the wicked... gushing with the souls I have slain in the cause of goodness. I have ventured as a Pathfinder to the reaches of the world and have slain multitudes for I rationalized, 'I had no choice..', 'they would have killed me and my companions had I let them...'. I'm Very good at... killing. Killing changes a man... inside in his heart. You get use to it. I am only mortal and not invulnerable to the same spirit that lives within Shakhan. I feel the rush of battle, the exaltation of triumph over hated foes, the exhilaration of destroying my enemies by my own hand, and seeing them fall forever silenced! You do that long enough and well enough and you start to stop caring the why of the killing. The means becomes its own ends. When the cause of why is long forgotten or cared for... it becomes an excuse to feel the rush, the triumph, the beat of life within you despite all who have come against. You come to eventually enjoy it for in those moments you feel the master of the world or worse you feel Nothing for those you have slain - life becomes... cheap! That is not justice... that is not truth. I try to always remember... the ends I'm seeking is to uphold the good to seek truth - not an excuse for wanton slaughter. There are many warriors and yes paladins - even perhaps moreso; who forget the cause they are fighting for and the killing becomes the ends instead of the unfortunate necessary sometimes means."

He is silent for a few moments the terrible personal truth revealed... likely the only one he has ever spoken so to.

"Yes I am concerned for the future of Korvosa, which is why I'd like to you come with me when I speak with my Uncle... Commandant Marcus Thalassinus Endrin, Leader of the Sable Company. The Sable Company is not beholden to the Queen... not subject to her orders. If the Queen is indeed a continuing danger to the innocent of Korvosa, The Seneschal, Neolandus Kalepoppolis and my Uncle Marcus Endrin can and will displace her from the throne. My Uncle needs to be made aware of the dastardly schemes that the Queen seems to be hatching of late... I'd like your company to add weight of an impartial outsider to my claims so he is informed. I trust you, Varrel... and know you are a good being at heart."


Male Elf Magus 7 AC 23/13/21, HP75/75, F9/R5/W6, Init +4, Perception +13+2 Alertness,
Silf:
Perception +13, HP 29/29, AC 24/15/21, Saves F5/R9/W7, Bite Attack +8, 1d3-2 damage, doesn't provoke when charging

Varrel listens to Ashe's tail. At the 'worldy knowledge', the young man claims to have. No doubt Ashe HAD seen his fair share of killing considering his VERY young age, but he proffessed to understand things beyoind his years. The thing Varrel most liked AND HATED about Ashe was the young did had never known True Suffering. The was a difference between regretting a kill or losing a loved one. Most humans only saw that a few times in thier life....
You are wrong, Ashe. Or more accurately you are not wholly right. There are those who eventually cease caring about why they kill. Who only exist for the rush of exileration of combat. Shakhan may even be in that place. I am not. I killed cabbagehead because he had inflicted suffering upon those people. I don't feel any rush in combat, at least no thrill or joy. I have been a slave for over a HUNDRED years Ashe, consider that. Imagine everyone of your 20years lived in pain and despair. Imagine first being treated as nothing, a creature existing only upon the whim of an unworthy dog. Now consider the level of depravity a slave owner may have. Consider what happens to halflings and elves in the hands of lustful and depraved onwers who can give in to thier every depraved whim. My second master was particularly sick. I was bound over a.... for his.....and when. It happend often Ashe. Given power without governence or respect for others, human are cruel and indulgent of thier most terrible whims. Most of the wounds and scars you saw on my body were from him. I spent 30 years under that one. He kept his favorite haflings and I on a Dogleash whilst in his home. Total and complete despair Ashe. You have not known it. I have lived it. Now imagine existing in that sort of hell and one night when your spirit is comlletely broken your 'Master' is attacked in his home. I saved him Ashe. Not because I cared, but because for so long I knew NOTHING else other than sevice to that cursed family. It was only after their pleasures had taken ANOTHER of my friends among the slaves that I found Ragathiel. He came to me and gave me hope again. Not for freedom Ashe. Were I to simply leave and enjoy my freedom now would be to forget every sin wrought by the House I was freed from. That house still stands and those slaves still suffer. I have been granted great.power Ashe. Every life I take is not for myself. It is for those victims who suffer at the hands of evil. I WILL stop the queen Ashe. And if I can prevent this place from becoming cheliax I will not stop. When I have enough power I will take the fight to house Thrune or whomever else is left. My life will not have a happy ending. I will die at the hands of an enemy. But until I fall I owe it to every slave and victim out there to ensure those who would inflict such pain upon others WILL be punished.

Varrel sits again, watching, hoping that his allies will appear. Tears flow from his eyes.
Please leave me alone now Ashe, Trinia.will want to see you.


Male
Usable:
Smite Evil: 4 / 1; Lay On Hands[Chanel: PE]: 7[11 c:pe] / 1 [4]
Human Paladin 6 / Bard 1 / Holy Vindicator 1 | AC 24{28 ‘32’} [se: 28{32 ‘36’}] T 12 ‘16’ [se: 15 ‘21’] FF 23{27 ‘31’} [se: 27{31 ‘35’}] | HP 68/68 | F +13 R +11 W +15{+16enh} | Init +1{+2} | Perc {+7}
Common Skills:
Bluff +9, Diplomacy +10(+11K), Heal +15, Kno {Religion} +10, Perform {Sing} +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +5

Ashe listens and a growing shock and horror slowly dawns upon him as some inkling of understanding comes fully into focus how abused and mistreated the elf before him, his friend has been so harshly and unfairly treated in life!

It becomes clear why there is so much anger and determination to punish and slay those who inflict such suffering on others within the elf's heart. After so many years of abuse and injustice...even depraved degrading de-humanizing treatment...it is no wonder Ashe's words of Mercy and compassion fall on deaf ears. How shallow and how unfulfilling such, as Varrel likely hears them, such 'simplistic' platitudes must sound as to be almost laughable... or worse insulting!

Ashe realizes just a inkling perhaps how much pain and loss his friend has suffered and Ashe in his own ignorance... honestly not knowing has dredged up so painful a recollection... his words, though well meaning causing more pain than good.

Ashe's expression softens and his eyes sadden...

"Forgive me please Varrel. I- I had no idea how you have suffered so! I'm so sorry... I have caused you pain and I cannot undo it! I did not mean to call up such pain for you to give voice to. I ... know I can never know how you have endured and suffered but .. I think I now understand...even a little why you are as you feel. How... silly my words of mercy and compassion must seem to you... one who has never known such!"

"Please I beg your forgiveness!"

He pauses his own eyes watering slightly in regret for words that cannot be taken back.

Then his gaze returns to that determined steely resolve... Varrel has become so familiar with.

"You do not fight alone, brother Varrel. Know you this... I swear here and now... I promise, the day you decide to return and end the wickedness of those evil men who so terribly mistreated you... you have but to call... and my sword will be yours to command... until justice is done!"

He grimaces, "I... I know it will sound hollow... but I would counsel thee hate is not the answer. It brings no solace and it is eventually all consuming for its hunger when stoked does not lessen... but grows... until it is all that remains."

He sighs deeply, "...I ...will leave you now for you own private thoughts. Please forgive me... I didn't know."

Ashe stands and turns to walk away... but pauses... turning back uncertainty in his expression...

Then he quickly places his hands on Varrel's shoulders and pulls him close to hug him warmly... as one might embrace a dear brother.

He whispers, "Do not give into hate and despair my dear brother in arms... you are not alone, and as long as there is breath in me... you will never be alone. You are not weak and you are not broken, where you stand so shall I, where you strike... my hand will be with you. Take heart... even the deepest of wounds can be healed in time... with love."

With that Ashe releases him and takes his leave the gait of his steps showing how deeply remorseful his heavy heart has weighed him down...


Male Elf Magus 7 AC 23/13/21, HP75/75, F9/R5/W6, Init +4, Perception +13+2 Alertness,
Silf:
Perception +13, HP 29/29, AC 24/15/21, Saves F5/R9/W7, Bite Attack +8, 1d3-2 damage, doesn't provoke when charging

Varrel stiffens at the embrace, not returning it in any way.
It's a kind offer Ashe, but the task is well beyound us for now.

As Ashe let's go he continues.
The coming days will only get worse here. Our attention must remain on keeping this place from Anarchy. But thankyou.

He turns and looks away, as Ashe finally, mercifully leaves the elf to his thoughts.
"Do not make promises you cannot see through my young friend.."

Ashe was not ready. He had not lost enough. Una and Shaktan were for different reasons able to do what needed to be done. Perhaps Hytogg too. He wasn't sure about Diggle.
This queen of Korvosa had not completely convinced him yet, but everything in his being screamed she was the cause of the cities troubles.
He had to be sure.
When the others arrived, they need to school Ashe in subltey and they needed to ask Miss Sabor about her relationship with the King....


Human Crossbow Weapon Master 4 / Sniper Rogue 2 / Hunter 2

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the city...
Una takes a look at the others. "Diggle, why don't you go ahead to the cathedral. You look like you can take care of yourself should trouble arise; I'll try to find Shakhan and get there with Hytogg as soon as we can."

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Trinia, should Ashe wish to search her out, is in the cloisters.

Varrel is brooding on the front steps.

Shakhan is in an ale-house, the Hand. The beer is not particularly good but it is cheap. It is the sort of tavern where everyone keeps themselves to themselves, they've come to drink not to socialise. It's run by a one-handed fellow called Garrard.

What is everyone else doing? Hytogg, Una and Diggle are together on the streets not far from the base of the Great Mastaba, as far as I know. The Korvosan Guards, less the Castle garrison, are marching back to the Citadel. A few Hellknights are out and about, riding in patrols of five across the city.

It's full dark, the city is quiet. Storm-clouds are gathering but it has not yet started to rain.


Male
Usable:
Smite Evil: 4 / 1; Lay On Hands[Chanel: PE]: 7[11 c:pe] / 1 [4]
Human Paladin 6 / Bard 1 / Holy Vindicator 1 | AC 24{28 ‘32’} [se: 28{32 ‘36’}] T 12 ‘16’ [se: 15 ‘21’] FF 23{27 ‘31’} [se: 27{31 ‘35’}] | HP 68/68 | F +13 R +11 W +15{+16enh} | Init +1{+2} | Perc {+7}
Common Skills:
Bluff +9, Diplomacy +10(+11K), Heal +15, Kno {Religion} +10, Perform {Sing} +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +5

Ashe does indeed seek out Trina. His expression is one of a troubled heart, but he tries to conceal it seeing her pretty eyes again and a somber smile lights his face.

"Milady, we have returned. Are you well? We resolved the issue of the Shoanti warrior and... though you may not be aware of it stopped the execution of the woman who the Queen tried to pass off as you tonight. The truth of your innocence was declared before the assembled crowds.. but I fear... Korvosa may not be safe for you any longer."

Ashe sits down next to her, his features again troubled.

"There is going to be a rise in turmoil in Korvosa. I do not think the Queen will be satisfied being foiled at her unsuccessful attempt to publicly execute your double or you. It remains to be seen what the Queen will do. Though the Korvosan Guard may not come after you... there are many a sword in Korvosa that can be hired for unsavory vengeance. You may have to leave Korvosa for a while. I fear for your safety... milady."

Though he is obviously concerned about Trina there is certainly something else troubling his mind and heart...

He seems to realize he is letting his sickened heart over his inability to bring comfort to his good friend Varrel, so he changes the subject addressing Trina directly.

"Trina, I don't know what the future holds for this city and its people... now would seem a most inopportune time... but... I can't keep from thinking about you, wanting to be near you. I think.. I mean.. I... feel..."

"I... love you Trina. Do you think you could ever feel such for me? I know I have only known you for less than a day... but my life seems ... better knowing you are safe, knowing I can see your smile and hear your voice. I knew it the moment your eyes met mine... you have stolen my heart... and I know not what to do about it!"

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Those great green eyes well up with tears.

"Oh, Ashe..." she breathes. "For me also, this drawing of the spirit, this calling of the heart... that this is intended to be..."

She moves closer to you, Ashe....


Human Crossbow Weapon Master 4 / Sniper Rogue 2 / Hunter 2

Meanwhile, at Hytogg's house...

"Can you believe the nerve of that idiot?" Una has been fuming about Ashe for a long, long time.

"I think me high lord paladin has been too involved in the nobles of this city. But I can't help but feel that something more will happen. The city is on the verge of anarchy. Gods help us, but Ashe's actions may eventually push it over completely that way."

She leans against the table, cradling her crossbow, checking to see if the wood needs oiling.

"In the meantime... I hope we can get the Harrow cards to work again. There's more coming. I can tell. After that, I recommend going to the Cathedral of Pharasma and having a word with our do-gooder, getting on the same page and all that."


Elsewhere, in The Hand

Shakhan grabs the wrist of a passing brunette. She's ablush at the sudden attention and turns to the big man, "If you want to get to know a girl you should allow for a bit of time and woeing you big brute."

The brute grimaces, "Too much effort - in your case," Shakhan squeezes the wrist harder until the girl welps out and opens her hand, allowing a small pouch of coins to land in Shakhan's other hand. "...in your case you should first spend a horizontal hour with the man before you take his money." Weighing the pouch, "And for this much even a whole night of your time would not suffice."

Nervously, and with a quiet voice, the girl hastily promises, "I... can give you a free one." - Shakhan laughs out loud, lets the girl go but before she can hush off he spanks her hard on the butt, forcing a second squeal from her, "Don't worry about it - it's not the first time I'm in The Hand, though haven't been around for years. Still the same place, though you're kinda new."


Male Elf Magus 7 AC 23/13/21, HP75/75, F9/R5/W6, Init +4, Perception +13+2 Alertness,
Silf:
Perception +13, HP 29/29, AC 24/15/21, Saves F5/R9/W7, Bite Attack +8, 1d3-2 damage, doesn't provoke when charging

With the services finally concluded and Chatterbeak returned with no sign Varrel was continuing to worry. Not overly so, all his companions were more than competent in thier trades and as far as he was aware had not made themselves known during the rescue.

Chatterbeak, return home to Hytogg's and wait for me there. If the otjers are there inform them I have safetly returned the girl to the Temple of Pharasma and I am on my way to the house.

The bird dispatched, Varrel locates Ashe, and bids a curt greeting to Trinia.
The others have not returned, please give my apologies to the Bishop for me. I am heading home to check on them. I am sure they are fine but it pays to check. I will meet you tomorrow at the house in the morning if it pleases you. I think we need to speak to the Marshall.

He bids goodbye to the pair and rushes home. It was getting late and dark so he entered an ally way and used his last Invisibilty and flew as fast as he could home as the crow flies. (Final 2 minutes of flight used) Having landed not far from the house in an alley away from the night lanterns he dispelled his invisibilty and walked the rest of the way home. Despite the hour he was not too concerned about being.accosted. At night he had a distinct vision advantage over the humans who walked the streets and he had a few combat spells left.

-----------------------------------------------------

He arrives at the house to find all his companions bar Shakhan, just fine. Una was in a rage (it was not hard to guess what about) and Chatterbeak was preening, having delivered his message.

Is everyone allright? Where is Shakhan?


Human Crossbow Weapon Master 4 / Sniper Rogue 2 / Hunter 2

At Hytogg's House.

At the familiar squawk, Una looks up at the bird.

"Where else? Whoring and drinking. He'll come around eventually, probably. Or I might know where to go fetch him. How did the rest of the misadventure go. I hope the girl was not some type of insane murderess. Your master still fares well?"


Master is fine. Master is still most powerful. Master has not said but Master is not happy with nice hair friend Paladin. Wait...... Master is here now.

As Varrel strides in Chatterbeak begins preening.
Sorry Master, Chatterbeak got chased by an Owl. Chatterbeak not here long. Master can talk message since Master is here now. Chatterbeak is not happy with Crackerman, went drinkin' an whorin' without Chatterbeak he did


Male
Usable:
Smite Evil: 4 / 1; Lay On Hands[Chanel: PE]: 7[11 c:pe] / 1 [4]
Human Paladin 6 / Bard 1 / Holy Vindicator 1 | AC 24{28 ‘32’} [se: 28{32 ‘36’}] T 12 ‘16’ [se: 15 ‘21’] FF 23{27 ‘31’} [se: 27{31 ‘35’}] | HP 68/68 | F +13 R +11 W +15{+16enh} | Init +1{+2} | Perc {+7}
Common Skills:
Bluff +9, Diplomacy +10(+11K), Heal +15, Kno {Religion} +10, Perform {Sing} +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +5

His heart leaps at Trina's words, the sentiment he so desired and hoped to hear.

Gently he draws her close his smile soft as he touches her cheek his thumb again wiping away her tears as he kisses her tenderly.

"Beloved, always shall I be here to dry your tears... please do not cry... it hurts so..."

He kisses her again not with fire... but with the tenderness of true love.

After a time, gently he breaks their embrace... though he would prefer to stay... propriety and honor demand more of him.

"Peace my sweet... let us go slow at this. For you do not know much of me and have only known me for the same fraction of a day as I have known thee. Let us not rush too fast... and yet get to know each others heart closely. Right now I am merely a warrior who has saved thy life, defended thy honor and vindicated thy name out of affection... let me not prey upon your gratitude... but give us time to learn who the other is... within their secret heart that only we can know in truth. Not that I doubt the burning affection I bear for thee nor question thy love professed, but we are young and... there is time for us to learn of the other... both the admirable and the flawed and thus deepen our feelings for each other in the spirit of truth and understanding."

Ashe spends time speaking in earnest with Trina... revealing his quirks, likes and dislikes, his flaws {as he sees them} and the flaws others have ascribed to him for he wants her to know who he is and who others think he is... yet leave her to make her own hopefully impartial assessment. He asks her the same of her inquiring into her quirks, likes, dislikes and perceived failings without judgement but understanding and acceptance.

------

Time passes at a hurry and before long the evening bells of the ending of the Vespers sounds and though not even a fraction of their heartfelt and honest talk is concluded that Ashe takes her hand to lead her to meet with Varrel.

The young couple seem at ease and content hand in hand as they approach...

Ashe listens solemnly to Varrel and nods in agreement.

"Aye it is a good idea to check upon them... I do not believe any were identified or even noticed as part of the show tonight... which was after all the point in the first place. Another successful charade - just like my time posing as a Hellknight to get into the 'Spider King's' lair and assess what could be found out about his deeds in secret. Another mask I'll not need to wear again I imagine... so blatant that the truth is hidden in open sight! It shall be funny to think of the Queen scouring the city for a capering fool and buffoon that does not exist. Worry not I'll see to the fake Trina's well-being. I'll visit the Marshal this evening to see if she has further information or concerns - ere I return home for my evening rest. If I cannot be at the house in the morning - I don't see why not but scattered as we are now... if I learn of further problems from the bishop or the Marshal... I may be detained, for none can see all ends - I'll send word if I cannot be there in the morning."

He pauses his eyes full of concern for his elven friend...

Then he gives these parting words, "Please consider friend Varrel, love is the answer to many of life's ills. Hate is the beginning of most that robs our lives of happiness. Be well my friend, and may Ragathiel bring you solace."

With that he leads Trina to Bishop d'Bear's office.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

Whilst they are together, Trinia speaks of a lonely life in her apartment, courted at times for her artwork but with little in the way of true friendship - and of always having to be on her guard against those who'd take advantage of a woman alone. Yet her passion for painting and delight in observing the world around her shine through.

Bishop d'Bear is in her office, hanging her formal robes on the mannekin in the corner, when you arrive.

"I am waiting to hear from the Infirmarian, Sir Asherick. Ah, I see you have located Miss Sobor. Is she safe in town, yet, do you think? Come, sit, have some tea."

Una and Hytogg - my Harrow cards are at home, if you want a reading... if so, I'll make time for it one evening.


Male Human Wizard (Illusionist) 2 / Cleric2
Una Therlmagne wrote:

Meanwhile, at Hytogg's house...

"Can you believe the nerve of that idiot?" Una has been fuming about Ashe for a long, long time.

"I think me high lord paladin has been too involved in the nobles of this city. But I can't help but feel that something more will happen. The city is on the verge of anarchy. Gods help us, but Ashe's actions may eventually push it over completely that way."

She leans against the table, cradling her crossbow, checking to see if the wood needs oiling.

"In the meantime... I hope we can get the Harrow cards to work again. There's more coming. I can tell. After that, I recommend going to the Cathedral of Pharasma and having a word with our do-gooder, getting on the same page and all that."

"Ah, yes...yes". "Let's consult the cards". "Though I doubt what they have to say will matter much as that blind idiot Paladin seems to be making all our choices for us". "Does he truly believe the war against oppression and evil can be won, by his actions alone"? "Does he not understand that allies must be used to accomplish objectives"?

"I can't imagine his upbringing". "Ashe I am going off to work today". "I will dart in front of the first charging carriage I see, swoop across the street to save the soul of a mass murderer, Then feed and clean all the children in the slums". "But don't worry, I'll sneak out the back so nobody will know where I came from". "I will not put you in danger". .

"The only thing bigger than his heart is his ego, and the only thing smaller than his brain is his ability to work as a team".

"Bah"!. "Enough griping". "Hopefully I'll never have to see that arrogant head in the air, self righteous %$&&^( again.".


Male
Usable:
Smite Evil: 4 / 1; Lay On Hands[Chanel: PE]: 7[11 c:pe] / 1 [4]
Human Paladin 6 / Bard 1 / Holy Vindicator 1 | AC 24{28 ‘32’} [se: 28{32 ‘36’}] T 12 ‘16’ [se: 15 ‘21’] FF 23{27 ‘31’} [se: 27{31 ‘35’}] | HP 68/68 | F +13 R +11 W +15{+16enh} | Init +1{+2} | Perc {+7}
Common Skills:
Bluff +9, Diplomacy +10(+11K), Heal +15, Kno {Religion} +10, Perform {Sing} +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +5

Ashe bows politely... perhaps even a bit deeper than is necessarily customary for one of the nobility and greets the Bishop.

"Light shine upon you Bishop d'Bear, yes thank you."

Ashe shows Trina to a seat and offers her tea first... it is obvious to any watching the sincere affection and attention to Trina the young knight shows. Trina's smile of shared feeling is also open and obvious to any the deepening friendship and perhaps much more between them.

Ashe takes a cup for himself and takes a seat as well.

Then he ponders his face etched with concern, "Is Trina safe milady? Unfortunately, I think not. My farce tonight as the Greyeagle, before Queen Illeosa, the assembled masses of nobility and guardsmen as I stormed the executioner's block to save the false Trina, went as well as I could hope. I declared Trina's innocence - proclaimed and verified by your Grace personally, revealed the falsehood of the fake trina's identity and then chastised the Queen for her duplicity and pettiness charging her to seek the true assassin and stop persecuting the innocent before making my escape. With the timely assistance of my comrades, I know not who did what specifically - while I played the fool's distraction, but I do know Varrel was free to bring the fake Trina to safety here and we all escaped with none the wiser any of my comrades were involved - nor my identity revealed."

"I hope my blatant jackdaw-fool's chastisement of the Queen's misuse of royal power - for all to see and confirm by your grace's word, will sting her pride enough that she will not pursue another 'fake' execution for her own political gain."

"The Korvosan Guard may not pursue the real Trina Sabor openly with any true tenacity as Field Marshall Kroft also knows the truth of the Queen's, ignoble deeds, for it was the Marshall that asked us to attend the execution. Kroft is in a undesirable situation and very precarious... she could not ask us 'directly' to intervene... but her intent was obvious."

"The Queen hopefully realizes she cannot act openly to pursue Trina as with the truth now out - such actions would be political suicide. The Nobility would not stand to have someone declared innocent of said a high crimes - by such a respected and trusted impartial pillar of the city... your Grace specifically, hunted down and executed. That would mean even they could be charged falsely of a crime and confirmed testimony on their behalf be ignored as well! Selfish, self-serving interest of the Nobility is Trina's best public protection now, hopefully. The nobility is not fond, to say the least, of Queen Ileosa and she cannot risk their ire... for now."

Ashe sighs.

"Unfortunately, the Korvosan Guard are not the only swords available at the Queen's command. I fear if such is the wrath of the Queen any number of sell-swords could be hired to do Trina harm. Trina may need to leave Korvosa for some time."

"But, I will not know the true extent of the Queen's schemes until I can question the fake Trina to find out her part in these sordid affairs - we do not even know her real name as yet, she seemed drugged or out of her wits when we saved her."

"Whatever the truth, it appeared someone else was also of a mind to stop the execution.. as before my rescue of 'fake' trina... the Executioner was downed by two thrown daggers. I had to use my divine gifts to save the man's life ere he expired! Fortunately, no one else was injured or blood shed... as was my plan. The executioner and the assembled guards were not guilty of the Queen's deception... I wanted no one injured because of her misdeeds. I don't believe it could have been my comrades that threw the daggers - as none of them were ever that close to the executioner's stand. So there may well be more going on behind the scenes than I can know... at current."

Ashe sips his tea, and lets the Bishop ponder his words for a few moments.

Then recalling something from the events, "Milady Bishop do you know of someone called 'Blackjack'? The name was mentioned by many of the assembled crowd at the execution when I revealed myself in my mask and cloaked visage. Someone said I must be 'blackjack ' in disguise. Do you have any idea who they might have been referring to?"


Human Crossbow Weapon Master 4 / Sniper Rogue 2 / Hunter 2

At Hytogg's House

Una chuckles mercilessly at Hytogg's depiction of the paladin, perhaps even guffawing a few times.

"You, sir, have hit more nails in a few words than any of our compatriots have all year."

She sobers in a moment.

"But in all seriousness, we will need to speak to him. I think our fates are crossed at this point, so it is likely we will see him again. It is quite alright to go around doing Good, but one might expect some grace and humility to be part of the paladin's activity. Doing Good can sometimes get in the way of doing good. Actually, it usually does. Some people can make the distinction, others cannot. Whether or not we can explain it to someone who endangers one to perform the other.... that remains to be seen."

Una turns to Varrel and Chatterbox.

"Do you have any ideas about this, Varrel? I'm finding it difficult to put my own thoughts to words."


Male Elf Magus 7 AC 23/13/21, HP75/75, F9/R5/W6, Init +4, Perception +13+2 Alertness,
Silf:
Perception +13, HP 29/29, AC 24/15/21, Saves F5/R9/W7, Bite Attack +8, 1d3-2 damage, doesn't provoke when charging

Varrel looks thoughtful. He takes a chair and closes his eyes and seems quite. Tired. Despite being young for an elf, he was at least triple the age of Hytogg and Shakhan, the two next oldest in the group.

Ashe has potential do not doubt, but the phrase 'bull in a china shop' comes to mind with his reguards to tactics. I cannot fault his sword arm, nor his eternal optimissim. This arrogance unfortunately comes from having and privilaged upbringing and ideals, yet one without much in the way of loss or humility. I would wager Ashe has either never failed at a task or was never shown the consequences of such, for I think what grates everyone is his inability to accept his view of the world is flawed. Today for example. We all see how such a DRAMATIC challenge to the queens rule, for that is indeed how she will percieve it, will mean blood on the streets of Korvosa. The queen WAS trying to maintain a facade of nobility. Now I will be very surprised if Marshall law is not declared. The Hellknights, as she chooses to employ them, will tear Korvosa apart looking for this 'Greyeagle'. As for what to do about it, I have an idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Varrel stands and walks up to Una. He gives her an appraising look. Yes, she would do perfectly. He dips a bow.
What this little group needs is a LEADER. At least in title for Ashe's benefit. Despite all his exhuberence Ashe WILL follow orders of the group if commanded. The Imodaen faith is heavily based on a Military set up, so let's have a commander. I propose we delcare to Ashe that Una is our leader. Without question. When it comes to making plans she will consult those of us whom she wishes for advice, but ultimately the method we use shall be hers and we shall enact such plans as if they were our own. I am confident in my suggestion because Una's method's seem far more inline with the party mood in general and her tactics are solid.
Perhaps a few missions with the Paladin keeping rear guard would do our Paladin some good yes?

---------------------------------------
He smiles and walks back over taking a seat across from Hytogg. He begins to unfurl some of the scrolls he bought and stack them under his spellbook to keep them flat. When we next go on a mission, Una, you should probably switch Ashe to last in the order of march. It would serve to have a competent warrior who can heal near our magical.Artillery of Hytogg and Diggle whilst letting our Stronger Melee warrior in Shakhan get into the fray quicker. And perhaps teach our young friend that while his abilities are useful, he is NOT essential to our success.

-------------------------------------------------------

The suggestion made, Varrel sighs and looks to Hytogg and Diggle and smiles.
Brilliant idea with those phantom voices by the way. I have a few scrolls to study Hytogg. If I manage to get them into my book this eve, you may copy them into your own.


Human Crossbow Weapon Master 4 / Sniper Rogue 2 / Hunter 2

Una smiles a little at the suggestions.

"Heh, Ashe is manageable, more or less. It's Shakhan I'm really worried about. He might seem like one of those ravenous warrior types, the one's you just set loose and send in the general direction of combat, and hope your paths don't cross until after the battle is over. But he's more than that, and difficult to control. I understand him and his motives, even if I don't share them completely, but understanding them doesn't really make him more of the type to follow orders."

(No offense intended, Shakhan. Feel free to prove me mistaken.)

"Not that I really want to control him, or give him any orders. It's a joy watching Shakhan go to work. But it's like watching a volcano explode or a powerful lightning storm. I don't control it, I just revel in it."


Male Elf Magus 7 AC 23/13/21, HP75/75, F9/R5/W6, Init +4, Perception +13+2 Alertness,
Silf:
Perception +13, HP 29/29, AC 24/15/21, Saves F5/R9/W7, Bite Attack +8, 1d3-2 damage, doesn't provoke when charging

I agree. Shakhan is probably better off being unleashed, as long as we are able to keep our goals clear and aligned with his. I might pay to keep a scroll of Calm Emotions, just in case. I have no worry about having him at my back though.

With his piece said, Varrel looks to Hytogg. Any thoughts my friend?

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

"Blackjack," says the Bishop, "Is a masked hero that has filled local legends in Korvosa for many a year - I'm surprised that you haven't heard of him, actually. Tales of Blackjack's moves against corrupt politicians, cruel nobles, and greedy merchants have been part of Korvosa's culture for two centuries, and although he hasn't made an appearance in the last decade, Blackjack stories remain as popular as ever among the peasants. Because Blackjack has existed for centuries, few believe him to be a single person. The most popular rumor surrounding Blackjack places him as a series of human men, with one training a replacement each generation... so you can see how some might think that his latest incarnation has popped up!"


Male
Usable:
Smite Evil: 4 / 1; Lay On Hands[Chanel: PE]: 7[11 c:pe] / 1 [4]
Human Paladin 6 / Bard 1 / Holy Vindicator 1 | AC 24{28 ‘32’} [se: 28{32 ‘36’}] T 12 ‘16’ [se: 15 ‘21’] FF 23{27 ‘31’} [se: 27{31 ‘35’}] | HP 68/68 | F +13 R +11 W +15{+16enh} | Init +1{+2} | Perc {+7}
Common Skills:
Bluff +9, Diplomacy +10(+11K), Heal +15, Kno {Religion} +10, Perform {Sing} +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +5

Ashe in mid-sip of his tea... is stunned into silence as he sets the teacup down... listening to the Bishop's Tale of 'Blackjack'.

Really?!? And here I thought my capering likely never to be repeated farce of a charade was unique! He, Blackjack, must be something in the module... you'd think the Guide to Korvosa would mention him!

Ashe ponders the Bishop's tale, "Well... that's interesting. Forgive me, your Grace, but I have never heard of 'Blackjack'. Though, I have lived a rather sheltered life as a child and in my teen years I went away to a monastery of Iomedean training as a paladin squire for 7 years retuning home when I was 16 winters old."

"I wonder where Blackjack is now... Korvosa could use a man of his devotion and boldness now?"

He turns to smile warmly at Trina, "...It would be nice to know the 'Greyeagle' need not make another appearance."

But coming back to the present issues, "Your Grace, Do you think it will be long before the 'fake' Trina can be spoken to? We really need to know her part in this and if she actually is a condemned criminal or some innocent caught up in the schemes of the Queen."


Human Crossbow Weapon Master 4 / Sniper Rogue 2 / Hunter 2

At Hytogg's House

Not wishing to disturb Hytogg's meditation, Una considers their options very carefully.

"Provided that the rest of the party is willing to accept this particular leadership role you've suggested for me, I'll accept it. Until I'm dead, or you find someone better."

"But yes, I would hope that the china (Tia?) shop bull could change himself to a china connoseur (sp). One does not save the china from an evil china thief by charging through the display window."

Una looks around for pen and paper, and providing that she finds it, begins writing down a few stratagems.

"The first thing we need to do is get everyone together, preferably in a locale that is not generally noticed by the powers that be, and one that won't be pointed to by the public should trouble arise."

"The second thing we need to do is to determine who our allies are. We need competent and forceful allies in this city. And not someone who is beholden to the Asmodean politics and religion that the city is unfortunately infused with. I have a hunch, we can call it an intuition if you wish, about Vincarlo Orisini, the noble we met at the Citadel."

She looks around at Varrel, Chatterbeak and anyone else who happens to be standing there.

"Of course, I will run this plan by the others when I see them again, as well. What do you think?"


Male Elf Magus 7 AC 23/13/21, HP75/75, F9/R5/W6, Init +4, Perception +13+2 Alertness,
Silf:
Perception +13, HP 29/29, AC 24/15/21, Saves F5/R9/W7, Bite Attack +8, 1d3-2 damage, doesn't provoke when charging

The nobleman? He did seem somewhat critical of the queen and was not afraid to say so.
At the very least it would give us somewhere else to meet. The idea has merit certainly. I'm not ready to write of the Marshall yet either, but despite her heart at some point if the queen continues to escalate her.efforts, the woman is going to have to choose between her duty to the crown and what is right. Plus, she is our retainer and this work is not cheap, the scrolls alone I used saving the girl cost hundreds. I certainly don't mind using the queens own money to bring her down.

Ever the effective multitasker, Varrel begins scribing scrolls into his spellbook.
Spellcraft1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26*Blur Added to spellbook

Spellcraft1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11*Failed to add magic missile

Spellcraft1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17*Tactical Acumen added to spellbook

Spellcraft1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21*Blindness/Deafness added to spellbook

4 hours later the Magus, finally ceases work. Somewhat dissapointed he lost.focus for a bit there. Well, that's me for the eve. I'm heading to bed to rest. Hytogg, feel free to use my spellbook or any of my remaining scrolls if you wish for study. I shall have to buy another scroll of Mount tomorrow, It proved handy today. Diggle, the hour is late, you may spend the night if Hytogg and Una do not object. I believe Ashe is coming in the morning.


Quote:
Really?!? And here I thought my capering likely never to be repeated farce of a charade was unique! He, Blackjack, must be something in the module... you'd think the Guide to Korvosa would mention him!

He's on page 58 of the Guide to Korvosa. Little portrait and all. The info provided is practically identical with what the Bishop just told Ashe.


Male
Usable:
Smite Evil: 4 / 1; Lay On Hands[Chanel: PE]: 7[11 c:pe] / 1 [4]
Human Paladin 6 / Bard 1 / Holy Vindicator 1 | AC 24{28 ‘32’} [se: 28{32 ‘36’}] T 12 ‘16’ [se: 15 ‘21’] FF 23{27 ‘31’} [se: 27{31 ‘35’}] | HP 68/68 | F +13 R +11 W +15{+16enh} | Init +1{+2} | Perc {+7}
Common Skills:
Bluff +9, Diplomacy +10(+11K), Heal +15, Kno {Religion} +10, Perform {Sing} +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +5
Shakhan wrote:
Quote:
Really?!? And here I thought my capering likely never to be repeated farce of a charade was unique! He, Blackjack, must be something in the module... you'd think the Guide to Korvosa would mention him!

He's on page 58 of the Guide to Korvosa. Little portrait and all. The info provided is practically identical with what the Bishop just told Ashe.

OH! I see why I did not know about him. That's in Chapter 5: Secrets... I have not read any of that... I don't want any spoilers. LOL... he sounds like Zorro.


Male Elf Magus 7 AC 23/13/21, HP75/75, F9/R5/W6, Init +4, Perception +13+2 Alertness,
Silf:
Perception +13, HP 29/29, AC 24/15/21, Saves F5/R9/W7, Bite Attack +8, 1d3-2 damage, doesn't provoke when charging

In the mourning once he is rested, Varrel awakes and takes a small breakfast and has one attempt at adding his Obscuring Mist Scroll to his spellbook.
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

That done, he sits and prepares his spells for the day.
Spells updated in profile.


Male Gnome Sorcerer / 5

Diggle had caught up with Una, Hytogg and Shakkan as they left the grandiose rescue of 'Trinia the Hooded'. It was fun to an extent, it all came off much more simpler than Diggle thought it would have. He was sure that at least some guards would attempt to rally against the interloper or that some unknown entity would complicate the Paladin's plan but it all seemed to go too smoothly. Diggle kept true to his word however and refrained from spurting gout's of fire or acid about the masses. It was an usual sort of feeling Diggle was having. The plan worked but it was quite uneventful in his mind. He kept to himself after meeting up with the trio and making their way back to Hytogg's all the while battling with his thoughts about the event.

When Una suggested he carry on to the Cathedral his train of thought shunted to the next carriageway. "Yes, I do believe I shall do so 'lady' Una. There definitely are some items of import that my mind would do well to chase down. Be well you three and I may see you in the morn if cause does not need me to seek you out this evening."


Male Gnome Sorcerer / 5

Diggle will make the most of the evening. He wishes to be in the room when the fake Trinia is revealed for what she actually is and I would assume I would eventually have met up with Varrel as he waited for Dark Vespers to conclude.

Afterward, Diggle will go to see Field Marshal Kroft and speak with her in private. If Diggle had learned about the fake Trinia then he will reveal his knowledge to the Marshal. Diggle will not voice any concerns about the Marshal's loyalties and motivations for service but will try to get a sense of how the Marshal feels about her predicament of loyalty to the crown and personal values.

Diggle will return to his meager home and rest until early morn, when he shall rise to do his fitness routine and then make his way to Hytogg's, perhaps stopping at an inn and getting a nice hardy breakfast, to be prepared for the day ahead.


Male
Usable:
Smite Evil: 4 / 1; Lay On Hands[Chanel: PE]: 7[11 c:pe] / 1 [4]
Human Paladin 6 / Bard 1 / Holy Vindicator 1 | AC 24{28 ‘32’} [se: 28{32 ‘36’}] T 12 ‘16’ [se: 15 ‘21’] FF 23{27 ‘31’} [se: 27{31 ‘35’}] | HP 68/68 | F +13 R +11 W +15{+16enh} | Init +1{+2} | Perc {+7}
Common Skills:
Bluff +9, Diplomacy +10(+11K), Heal +15, Kno {Religion} +10, Perform {Sing} +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +5

Ashe notices the lateness of the hour and ponders his tasks still left undone. He finishes his tea and gathers his thoughts... and none too little courage.

"Your Grace, Bishop Keppira d'Bear, for some time now you have been our close confidant and patron providing solace, wisdom and succor... even with my many... odd requests. Not once have you asked for payment or reward... though I'm sure the divine magic and advice you have given freely are not without at least a cost in time and effort!"

"I wanted you to know that your forbearance and assistance upon our behalf is deeply appreciated by our entire party. Though you have not asked for some recompense... my heart and honor deem some token of our appreciation is due thee ... none-the-less."

"It... seemed to me that mere gold would be tawdry, crass and even insulting as you gave freely - from and of your heart. So I would like to repay... in some small measure - from and of the heart as well! I have these past days composed a small piece of verse that I would like to perform for thee. I know I am not the Bard, milady Trina Sabor is... but I hope you will find some small measure of amusement and perhaps thoughtfulness that touches your heart... despite my untrained and rude tongue."

Ashe sets his teacup down and stands, gathering what dignity he can and marshaling his thoughts...

"Death is not the Foe that many have painted so,
Tis’ not a sneaking enemy, lusting for our Souls."

"Not a hurtful Thief, taking Joy and leaving Grief,
But solace from a world so Brief, a quiet end, a worthy Relief."

"Not a Stalking Demon, seeking malice at thy door,
But a somber boatman, faring us to ARVANDOR."

"Nor a brooding Jailor, in a Dungeon O’ Eternal Night
Rejoice! A smiling savior, calling all into the Light.

"Neither an endless journey, alone to unknown Lands,
Only a friendly Guardian, who leads us by the Hand."

- A long forgotten teacher who chides us from Behind,
To keep our sins but meager, before our lives Unwind.
- A softly spoken prayer, to kindness divine and fair
Ending strife and setting right our placid sleep upon the beir.

"Never a hungry beast, hunting for a fleshly repast,
Just a gentle Watchman, who welcomes us all, and bids us to pass..."

Perform: Poetry 'Untrained' 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15


Male
Usable:
Smite Evil: 4 / 1; Lay On Hands[Chanel: PE]: 7[11 c:pe] / 1 [4]
Human Paladin 6 / Bard 1 / Holy Vindicator 1 | AC 24{28 ‘32’} [se: 28{32 ‘36’}] T 12 ‘16’ [se: 15 ‘21’] FF 23{27 ‘31’} [se: 27{31 ‘35’}] | HP 68/68 | F +13 R +11 W +15{+16enh} | Init +1{+2} | Perc {+7}
Common Skills:
Bluff +9, Diplomacy +10(+11K), Heal +15, Kno {Religion} +10, Perform {Sing} +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +5

Ashe will wait until he can get some answers from 'fake' Trina and will welcome Diggle's company at that questioning.

Ashe will find out from the Bishop what she wishes to do with Trina and 'fake' Trina. Ashe will assist in any way to see to the two women's safety for the night that the bishop deems prudent.

Afterwards - indeed Ashe wishes to seek Field Marshal Kroft and find out how the evenings events resolved themselves and will likely accompany Diggle to meet the Field Marshal. Ashe will respect Diggle's wish for private words with the Field Marshal but he has no words that need be spoken in secret from his Gnome companion.

Ashe will want to know what the Queen did afterward and if any new orders were issued to the Korvosan Guard. He will want the details seeking to know if any were harmed among the audience or the guards assembled. Ashe will not reveal his identity about being the Greyeagle but will try to learn the feelings of the Marshal on the matter of another masked vigilante roaming the city.

Ashe will ask if the Marshal knows of 'Blackjack' and how likely she thinks he was involved with tonight's events or if there is some way she knows that might get one in contact with him. Yes is curious about the Marshal's loyalty regarding the Queen. He will share what he knows about Trina and whatever he learned from fake Trina as well. Ashe will not be subtle in this asking pointedly if the Marshal serves the Crown or the people of Korvosa, but he will be polite. There will be no accusation in his tone. Merely a direct seeking of the Marshal's true feelings and motivations.

Most importantly... Ashe will NOT lie... but will not answer any question that might reveal his secret by changing the subject or asking a counter-question to misdirect if need be.

Ashe will bring up the matter of any uncollected pay or recompense for the party's efforts - not that he is actually concerned... but he's sure its on the mind of some of the more materially motivated members of the party!

PS: By the way Megan... is there any End of Adventure Xp bonus? Not that it will be enough to level us just wondering. Also.. if its not a spoiler... I figure Trina is a Bard, what's her level and Charisma modifier? I'm just curious hope good she is with her class and abilities. Perhaps Ashe can take some training lessons from her when he takes his level of Bard at 7th level.

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

At the Cathedral

Diggle arrives at the same time as an acolyte arrives with a message from the Infirmarian, and the Bishop leads both Ashe and Diggle (and Trinia) to one of the furthest corners of the Cathedral complex.

Here, the Infirmarian is waiting. He bows to the Bishop.

"Ah, yes... very interesting. The young lady had been, ah, drugged with something to make her compliant and furthermore had had a feeblemind spell cast upon her. She's still pretty confused as you can imagine, but has managed to tell me she's Sephira, a pickpocket from out of town who was picked up plying her trade in the vegetable market about a week ago. You may speak with her if you wish, but she's quite tearful and frightened, don't scare her."


Male
Usable:
Smite Evil: 4 / 1; Lay On Hands[Chanel: PE]: 7[11 c:pe] / 1 [4]
Human Paladin 6 / Bard 1 / Holy Vindicator 1 | AC 24{28 ‘32’} [se: 28{32 ‘36’}] T 12 ‘16’ [se: 15 ‘21’] FF 23{27 ‘31’} [se: 27{31 ‘35’}] | HP 68/68 | F +13 R +11 W +15{+16enh} | Init +1{+2} | Perc {+7}
Common Skills:
Bluff +9, Diplomacy +10(+11K), Heal +15, Kno {Religion} +10, Perform {Sing} +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +5

Ashe meets Diggle's eyes, "Me thinks someone wanted to make definite sure this young thief did not tell her tale!"

Ashe nods accepting the opportunity to speak tot he Sephira.

He walks in and approaches the young woman removing his helm, Trina at his side.

"Hello, Miss Sephira. I'm 'Sir' {Lieutenant} Asherick Whiteplume-Stolyarev, Paladin of Iomedae... do not be afraid, we will not harm you. I'm sure you must find this all very confusing. Please tell us what you clearly remember last and if you can recall anything of this evening. Are you a member of the Cerulean Society in paid-up status... or are you freelance?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15 {Ashe is wearing his Peudodragon's Mark Medal as always}

Majenko shifts on his perch at Ashe's shoulder and regards the young woman with a chirp of curiosity...

EDIT: Grrr... should have just taken 10 as I thought to do at first! Ah well - live and learn! And the Bishop made no comment on Ashe's poetry? Awe... guess she didn't like it... lol!

Andoran

Female Depemds on the game system (human in the real world)

The girl looks blankly at you. It's obvious that she's been crying.

"Please don't hurt me... all I remember, came inta town ta look fer pickins an... an... somewhere dark. Dark an' damp. Then blur o'colour, lotsa noise... then here."


Human Crossbow Weapon Master 4 / Sniper Rogue 2 / Hunter 2

(Meanwhile, at Hytogg's House)
What is the range of Majenko's telepathy?

Una helps herself to a glass of wine, leaving a few silver pieces in the goblet when she has finished, then looks at anyone around her. (Chatterbeak? Hytogg?)

"I'll go get Shakhan. I have a pretty good idea where he is."

If no one objects, Una slips back out into the streets, using Stealth until she is certain she is not in the vicinity of the house.

Stealth
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Survival (to determine if I am being tracked or followed)
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


Male
Usable:
Smite Evil: 4 / 1; Lay On Hands[Chanel: PE]: 7[11 c:pe] / 1 [4]
Human Paladin 6 / Bard 1 / Holy Vindicator 1 | AC 24{28 ‘32’} [se: 28{32 ‘36’}] T 12 ‘16’ [se: 15 ‘21’] FF 23{27 ‘31’} [se: 27{31 ‘35’}] | HP 68/68 | F +13 R +11 W +15{+16enh} | Init +1{+2} | Perc {+7}
Common Skills:
Bluff +9, Diplomacy +10(+11K), Heal +15, Kno {Religion} +10, Perform {Sing} +8, Sense Motive +6, Spellcraft +5

Majenko's Stats are listed on Asherick's sheet under Companion in it's own spoiler. Majenko's telepathy has a 60'ft radius range.


I assume it's still the night of the execution day. Varrel is spent and gone to bed.

Chatterbeak pipes up as Una makes her choice.
Can Chatterbeak come , Roofrunner? Chatterbeak likes 'Drinkin an Whorin with Crackerman.

2,751 to 2,800 of 5,958 << first < prev | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Megan's Curse of the Crimson Throne [IC] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.