Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Magnimar Special Investigations Unit One (Inactive)

Game Master Nazard

A serial police drama set in Magnimar - unit One.


2,401 to 2,450 of 2,474 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>

Heward reaches back. Three steps forward and he hurls the javelin at Mital. The missile flies high.

Javelin 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 .... damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

OK. Where does the javelin fall and is it or the first one I threw closer?

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Awgin, do you have some sort of ability that lets you inflict damage the same round you start a grapple, because normally you don't start inflicting damage until you've already had the grapple going for a round. Also, I can't find any traits on your character sheet. Did you not select any? You had the option of selecting two traits per standard trait rules, or one Skill point feat (either Skill Focus, or one of the ones that gives you +2 to two different skills like Alertness or Athletic).

PRD wrote:
Once you are grappling an opponent, a successful check allows you to continue grappling the foe, and also allows you to perform one of the following actions (as part of the standard action spent to maintain the grapple).

The damage action is one of the things you can perform "as part of the standard action spent to maintain the grapple".

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Heward Wallas wrote:

Heward reaches back. Three steps forward and he hurls the javelin at Mital. The missile flies high.

Javelin 1d20+3 .... damage 1d6+2

OK. Where does the javelin fall and is it or the first one I threw closer?

At this point, they're both equidistant, but the one you just threw is closer to Sir Mital. He's too high up, though, to take an AoO from you picking up the javelin.


I know that I took the feat rather than the traits. It must have gotten lost when I switched to the Hero Lab sheet. I'll get that corrected, but I'm pretty sure it was a bonus to intimidate.
I included damage because that's the way I'm used to playing it. I didn't realize that the first roll does not also do damage. Oh well. Live and learn.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Awgin wrote:

I know that I took the feat rather than the traits. It must have gotten lost when I switched to the Hero Lab sheet. I'll get that corrected, but I'm pretty sure it was a bonus to intimidate.

I included damage because that's the way I'm used to playing it. I didn't realize that the first roll does not also do damage. Oh well. Live and learn.

No worries, Awgin. Getting damage on the first round requires the constrict ability. just making sure it wasn't part of his beast aspect.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Calatin and Laya are next.

If Calatin's looking for something to contribute, he's pretty close to Heward's first javelin...


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Thank you, Nazard...

Calatin picks up the javelin, looks rather dubiously at it then aims it at the vargouille...

Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Calatin ab'Halla wrote:

Thank you, Nazard...

Calatin picks up the javelin, looks rather dubiously at it then aims it at the vargouille...

Attack: 1d20+1

LOL!! I gave the hint about the javelin figuring he'd give it to Heward, not use if himself!!!


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Heh! Calatin hates combat and wants nothing to do with it... hadn't you guessed. Not a tactical bone in his body.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

I'm not sure if Laya can actually see the vargouille from where she currently is. If she can, she'll do the following:

Laya lets the lit bullet fall to the floor and takes out her sling. Using a different bullet, she fires at the vargouille.

Sling: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

Unfortunately, the bullet flies to low and clatters harmlessly on the floor.

If she can't see the vargouille, she'll move until she can, then drop the lit stone, and take out her sling. If she's only taken a 5-ft step, she'll fire as above; otherwise, she'll wait till next round to fire.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Can't Laya combine a move with readying a weapon? She has a +1BAB, and it's not like a sling is a precision instrument with working parts to align.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Yes, good point. I forgot she's 2nd level and was thinking she had a +0 BAB. In that case, she will move and draw if necessary, then fire (assuming she doesn't have to move more than 20 ft to get within sight of the vargouille).

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Sir Mital swoops down, ready to bite Awgin again. However, the wily half-orc, not one to be fooled three times in a row, is ready for him, and grabs him by the wings.

Sir Mital screams and struggles to get free.
Grapple check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19 The writhing, wiggling, flying head manages to get itself free, flying back up into its corner.

So close to getting that guy tied down...

Round 9
Awgin
Calatin
Laya
Sir Mital
Heward


Ready again.
Grapple 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Sorry guys, messed up the initiative a bit. It's Heward's turn next, and Awgin should be just before Sir Mital. Heward can move ten feet north and retrieve his latest javelin, or ready a melee attack of his own.


Heward picks up the javelin.

Somebody's got to give Mital incentive to come down. I'll wing him sooner or later.


Are there doors into areas B and C and from B to E? Where are the Cobbers? If they've bolted and left the front door open, I'd like to amend Heward's action to closing it.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

The Cobbers haven't bolted - they're currently on the floor in front of the front door, which is still open. There are doors leading from the hallway into D and E. Area D seems to be some sort of parlour. There was the open archway between B and E, so if the design symmetry holds, there should be an open archway between C and D.

Map Updated

Do you want to change your action, Heward?


Yes, please.

Heward notices the front door hanging open and rushes to close it.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

So Heward dashes towards the front door, ready to shut it next round.

Awgin is readying for the vargouille to come close, so it's Calatin's turn.

Just realized Heward made an incorrect assumption and I let myself be led along by it. The couple who live here are not Cobbers. I don't have my notes to recall their name, but it was on the door plate in the initial description of the exterior, so Heward would not likely be assuming these two were Cobbers.


Heward glances down at the Tarrigans. "Do you have a bow of any kind?

One of the pitfalls of PbP, or rather a lack of taking hard notes. Sorry about the mix up.


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Calatin looks round rather wildly. If the vargouille is within range, he'll (finally) get round to using his burning hands... otherwise he'll try to keep out of the way.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

He already cast burning hands. He had it twice?


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Nope, sorry... got confused.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Mrs. Tarrigan shakes her head. "No...no weapons. My husband is a merchant. He hires guards to protect his business."

Laya is up


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya tries another sling shot at the vargouille.

Sling: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Damage: 1d3 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Laya's stone bumps into the vargouille, causing a tiny welt to appear. 1 non-lethal!

Again, Sir Mital dive bombs Awgin,and again Awgin snags him mid-air.
Grapple to escape: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Got him! Sir Mital screeches loudly as Awgin gets him by both ears, holding him at arms' length.

Heward, Calatin, Laya, Awgin


Seeing Awgin's advantage, Heward spins away from the door and hurries over to help. He draws his dagger on the way. Reaching Awgin, he grabs a hank of tentacles to pull Mital's face upwared and tries to drive the dagger into its eye. The dagger slices along Cobber's cheek leaving a line of blood.

Dagger 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 ... 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Mital's denied dex bonus in the grapple I think, so that ought to hit. Since the damage was low I described the effect as incidental. Looks like my other idea, letting Awgin grapple it to death may come into play.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Yep, that hits. Also, Awgin will be getting a +4 bonus next round to maintain the grapple, and do damage equal to his unarmed strike or natural attack.


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

"What?" says a rather distracted Calatin, who is concentrating on staying out of the way.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya sighs with relief as Awgin gets hold of the beast. She doesn't relax, however, not willing to take any chances that it should get away again. She watches and waits. Delay.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Very well.

With Laya and Calatin staying back for the moment, let's make this battle a three-way, unless the critter gets loose.

Awgin, then Mital, then Heward.


Apologies for the delay. I haven't had a dot in a while. I should have checked though.
Awgin grunts as he continues to wrestle the winged head.
Grapple 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 5 + 4 = 17 Damage 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Sir Mital frantically tries to escape... 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Not good enough, Awgin still has him by the ears.

Heward!

At this point, I'm having trouble picturing Sir Mital as anything but a bodiless Ferengi!


Bodiless Ferengi. I like that.

Heward grabs a handful of tentacles and slashes with his dagger.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19 ... 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

With the other two delaying, it's Awgin again!

Calatin and Laya, feel free to step back into the fray whenever you like. We're pretty much on block initiative here.


Wash, Rinse, Repeat
Grapple 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 5 + 4 = 27 Damage 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


Assuming Mital doesn't escape, Heward stabs it again.

Heward continues to hack at Mital's tentacles and ears.

dagger 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 ... 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Sir Mital's escape attempt: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

Sir Mital finally gets away again, but now completely enraged, doesn't bother to fly away, just flaps and hovers preparing to rip Awgin a new one.

No longer being grappled, however, allows him to barely dodge Heward's stab.

Awgin again.


Awgin lashes out with his claws.

Claw:
to hit 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 damage 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Claw:
to hit 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20 damage 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Squaring off against the fiend, Awgin's claws rip into the creature, rending its wings. It looks like it wants to keep fighting, but the combination of blood kiss and the bump from Laya's sling stone is too much, and it drops to the floor.

The vargouille is at 1 HP and 1 non-lethal. I say we give Laya the kill credit.


"Nice work," Heward looks down at Cobbers and wonders.


Awgin will find some covers or drapes or something to bag the head in until it can be properly contained. He won't be gentle and might even 'accidentally' punch him once or twice to help insure that he remains quiescent.


Heward watches with some admiration as Awgin readies his impromptu restraint. "Before you do that, break his wings and jaw, just in case. We can't have him screaming or flying away if those don't hold."

He turns to Laya and Calatin, "See to the Tarrigans. We'll need to get them to the temple and then get a statement."


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

"All right," says Calatin, who looks very relieved now the fight is over.


Heward gathers his javelins and stands ready to help anyone who needs help.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Awgin and Heward together manage to completely incapacitate and bind the vargouille, wrapping it tightly in one of the Tarrigan's front drapes, which they eagerly offer for the task. Mr. Tarrigan gives Heward a pouch of diamonds, almost apologetically. "I suppose I shall have to answer for that, circumstances or no," he says glumly. He tells Heward from which diamond brokerage he stole them, 10,000 gold pieces worth. "I have no idea why it wanted them, but it was very specific that there had to be at least that value."

The group is easily able (after retrieving Phillip from trying to bash down the rear door), to escort the Tarrigans to the Cathedral. Taking the vargouille inside as well as the Tarrigans?


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya breathes a sigh of relief as the battle ends. "Thank goodness," she mutters.

Nazard wrote:
Mr. Tarrigan gives Heward a pouch of diamonds, almost apologetically. "I suppose I shall have to answer for that, circumstances or no," he says glumly. He tells Heward from which diamond brokerage he stole them, 10,000 gold pieces worth. "I have no idea why it wanted them, but it was very specific that there had to be at least that value."

Laya perks up at Mr Tarrigan's words. "Exactly 10,000?" She rubs her chin for a moment. "They could have been for a spell component, I suppose. Some attempt to resurrect himself, perhaps?" She smiles comfortingly at Mr Tarrigan. "Don't worry, Mr Tarrigan. You will have to answer for the theft, but we'll make sure the extenuating circumstances are made clear. I'm sure you'll be exonerated."


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Calatin screws up his face and scratches his head, disarraying his thinning hair.

"Yes... sounds like a spell component. Um. Not so good on divine castings, obviously, but I did read that such is required for a resurrection... and, I believe, some of the restorations as well..."

He visibly shakes himself out of musing about spells and bustles about leading the Tarrigans to the Cathedral.

"What is it the law-arguers say? 'Acting under duress'... may well apply here."

Tylluan swoops down out of the darkness once Calatin is outside, a mouse-tail hanging from his beak.


Worried about complications with the Cryptmistress, Heward will wait outside with the head. (And hopefully Awgin)

If Awgin stays, Heward grins, "You were either brave or crazy grabbing the head like that. You are not short of cajones, friend. Don't think I ever would have tried a stunt like that."

"I think Captain Percival will be pleased."

2,401 to 2,450 of 2,474 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Magnimar Special Investigations Unit One All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.