Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Magnimar Special Investigations Unit One (Inactive)

Game Master Nazard

A serial police drama set in Magnimar - unit One.


2,351 to 2,400 of 2,474 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>

M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Thank you, Nazard...


Calatin ab'Halla wrote:
Thank you, Nazard...

Heh. Not sure why you're thanking me for that...


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

"Oh dear," Laya mutters as her companions freeze up from fright. "This will never do." She calls out to the vargouille, "Oi! Come and get me!" Then she turns and runs.

She runs in a straight line as far as she can get in the direction of G53 until she meets an obstruction or uses up her movement. She can go 80 ft total, which will take her off the edge of the map, so I can't be sure exactly where she ends up. G53 is about 50 ft.

She's hoping to lure the vargouille out of sight of the others so that its scream effects will dissipate.


"Come back, Lady of Pharasma," the vargouille calls. "Talk with me, and I will not hurt you."

It does not fall for her ruse.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

"If you want to talk, I'm all ears," Laya calls back from where she's ended up. "Just come here and talk!"


"And release my one advantage keeping you lot from slaughtering me like some rabid animal? I don't think so. Tell me, does Wynoma Pierce still live? She too is a midwife."


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

"Wynoma Pierce? No, she died ages ago. Why do you ask?"

Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

"She...died? I'm...I'm too late..."

The vargouille lets out another unearthly howl, this one filled with grief and frustration, however, rather than fiendish terror.

"Nobody else will help me now. You came here to slay the monster, didn't you?"


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya is momentarily startled by the vargouille's response. "You...you wanted help for something? There is no cure for your condition, you know. You're too far gone. And you've caused a lot of suffering as a result."


"I...am...still...ME!!!!" the vargouille screams, flapping down to hover a few feet above Laya. "I am Sir Mital Cobbers, a knight of Magnimar. This is my family home. I...am...not...gone!!!"


Heward struggles to move. Sir Mital Cobbers or not, this thing is dangerous and needs to be stopped now. One look at his kinswoman is enough to confirm that.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Now that Sir Mital Cobbers is hovering a few feet above Laya, he should be out of sight of the others (since she's not in the same room), so Heward should be free to move.

Laya stares up at the vargouille impassively. "Would Sir Mital Cobbers, knight of Magnimar, inflict this curse upon others, like you have? Would Sir Mital Cobbers, knight of Magnimar, cause suffering and harm to innocent people?" She gives him a sympathetic smile. "It must be a terrible agony you are going through, but you must accept the facts. You were Sir Mital Cobbers once. You are he no longer."


"Those robbers who set me free? Their own fault for daring to defile my tomb. They had no right and deserved what they got! And now it's my turn. This thief here who stole my house has returned with my diamonds. If Wynoma is dead, you will find a priestess of Pharasma to undo what she did and give me back my body."

Heward is definitely freed, but Awgin can just barely see the creature. However, he was coming out of paralysis this "round" anyway. Calatin is still frozen.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

"And what of the people those robbers then harmed in their new condition?" Laya snarls. "Did they deserve it, too? And the thief who stole your house? This hasn't been your house for many years. You give yourself away with every word, sir. You are not Sir Mital Cobbers. Sir Mital has been dead for many years. You are nothing more than a monster."


Sir Mital snarls, rage filling his features now.

Resuming combat.
Awgin is up.
Laya and the vargouille are in the dining room. Awgin can barely make the creature out, and it has cover from him.


Cover? What kind of cover?
Awgin screams as he finally breaks the effect and leaps over the railing at the floating monster.

Grab 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19 - cover + charge? damage 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


Just hang on, Awgin. I need to get a map up tonight. I don't think you're thinking he is where he actually is.


Belated Laya Acrobatics check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Laya manages to move full speed in her retreat into the pitch blackness of area B. She gets stopped by a wall she didn't see and ends up in H53. She can hear that the vargouille has come closer from its voice, but is unable to see it, so please ignore all those descriptions about its appearance and assume those emotions are conveyed in its voice. Laya also hears a banging sound, like somebody trying to break down a door in the back of the house.

Okay, Awgin wasn't where I thought he was either. He, too, became free when Sir Mital moved into the other room, and I see now that the vargouille moved out of the area Calatin can see due to poor lighting in the dining room, so he's free as well (though currently unable to see where the creature is). I had thought Awgin had made it a lot further around the balcony than he had, but he's still up at the north end, which means he completely can't see the creature from his current position.

Maps Updated
The creature is somewhere in area B. Laya has no map since she can't see anything. If you need a reference point, just look at Heward or Calatin's.

Round 5
Awgin
Calatin
Laya
Sir Mital
Heward


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

When it is his turn, Calatin moves forward looking around for the vargouille still thinking about burning hands when he gets in range (provided nobody else is in the way, that is!).


Awgin's plan was to do as I mentioned above. He'll continue around the balcony in hopes of getting the vargouille back in sight.


Awgin has to get almost all the way around before he can just make out some tentacles hanging below the ceiling in J57, barely within range of his dark vision 60 feet away. He can jump down from the balcony, probably using Acrobatics to avoid damage, but no way he can get any sort of attack this round.

Calatin moves thirty feet towards the sound of the vargouille, stepping into the pitch blackness. He's about to take another step before he feels tentacles slapping him in the forehead. It would seem he nearly walked right into the creature.

His spell illuminates the creature (and Laya pressed up against a wall but fortunately twenty feet away).

Reflex save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 (guessing from memory, but that probably fails)
Damage: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5

Next: Laya


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

"You poor, unfortunate creature," Laya says sadly. "May you find peace, for today you face the Lady's judgement."

Ready action to use Gentle Touch if the vargouille moves within her reach.


Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Awgin will indeed jump down to get as close as possible to the vargouille
Acrobatics 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16


Heward also snaps out of the paralysis.

"Sir Mital Cobbers. Surrender to the law of Magnimar!"

He reaches for a javelin and hopes that Mital doesn't....

Let's see what unfolds before his turn.


Calatin gets more of an impression rather than the sight of a maw of teeth coming at him.

Bite attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21; damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Poison infects the wound. Fort DC 13

Heward is up next. Remember that the area where Sir Mital is attacking Calatin is pitch black. As a reminder, however, there is that lamp on the table next to the staircase...


Heward takes a couple steps toward the room with the fighting and sees that the action is taking place in darkness. Thinking quickly*, he returns to the hall to retrieve the lantern and circles back to the left hand room.

Dance around the map, ending at K59. Assuming that picking up the lantern is a free action while on the move.


Awgin's jump left him barely within charging distance. He's up first in the new round.


Well Awgin would be remiss if he let such an opportunity go past him. He charges.

Grapple: charge
to hit 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 5 + 2 = 9 damage 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

The dice hate me.


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Calatin squeals as he is bitten.

Fort save: 1d20 ⇒ 17 (Phew!)


Calatin ab'Halla wrote:

Calatin squeals as he is bitten.

Fort save: 1d20 (Phew!)

Anything else this round?


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Not from a certain chubby mage...


Do we get to see better with the lantern?


Absolutely, you can early see the vargouille. It looks like it's just bitten Calatin very nastily.


I figure it's Laya's turn, but she readied Gentle Touch against Mital if he comes in reach. Sir Mital's turn?


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

She readied that last round, but will re-ready the same action again this round. :)


Sit Mital flaps up and away from Calatin and Awgin (withdrawing only, and not within reach of Laya). It flaps off into the dining room and into the darkness Laya can't see through, and is blocked by a wall from Awgin. You currently have no idea where it is, save that it's in area E (the dining room that Laya is hiding in), unless it managed to make it all the way through said dining room and into the central hallway (Awgin saw an open doorway behind the stairs that looks like it should lead into area E).

Maps Updated

Round 6
Awgin
Calatin
Laya
Sir Mital
Heward

Sir Mital's Stats:

HP: 46/51
AC: 15/12FF/14T
FRW: +8/+5/+5
CMD: 16


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

If Calatin's turn comes up before I'm back....

Calatin will dig out a hanky and attempt to staunch the bleeding.


"We need more light. Calatin, Laya?"

Heward shifts the lantern to his left hand and draws a javelin with his right as he steps forward in pursuit of the fleeing varguoille.

Move to area E. Standard action when I see what I see?


Awgin will move to keep sight of Mital, but won't attack.


At the end of a move action, Heward still won't be able to see the creature. Only once he moves completely into the hallway behind the staircase can he see the creature back up on the mezzanine. With Heward pointing him out, Awgin loses no more time heading for the stairs, but he doesn't get up them this round.

Calatin comes to meet Awgin (taking the short cut out of the now pitch black dining room), frantically staunching his wounds with a hanky.

Laya, then Sir Mital. Laya can see the light from Heward's lantern through the door that goes from the dining room directly to the hall behind the stairs, but where she currently is is pitch black.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Apologies for the delay. I missed that it was Laya's turn.

Hearing Heward's call for light, Laya nods and pulls out a sling stone. She then casts light on it.


You've got a sling!

Heward clutches his lantern and javelin and follows in the varguoille's wake, waiting for Mital to make his move.

If Heward come across Awgin before Mital, he will call to the halforc and toss him a javelin if he wants it. If Heward reaches the javelin he's already thrown and it's easily retrievable he will slip it back into his quiver.


Sir Mital swoops down from fifteen up to ten feet up, reaching down to bite at Awgin as he passes, then swoops back up to a safe height, out of 5-foot melee reach.

Awgin doesn't get an attack of opportunity, but Heward does with his javelin, used as an improvised meleee weapon (-4 penalty to attack).

Bite attack: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 9 + 1 = 22
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6 Fort save DC 13

Round 7
Awgin
Calatin
Laya
Sir Mital
Heward

Maps Updated


Improvised javelin AoO 1d20 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (19) + 3 - 4 = 18 ... damage 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Heward jabs at the varguoille as it swoops. The tip of his javelin opens a small tear in its thin outer wing.

I guess I didn't get a javelin to Awgin yet, nor recover the previously thrown one?

"Give it up, Mital!"


The javelin he threw is closer towards the front door.

I really wish the mechanics for passing objects were a bit more clearly defined in the rules. What kind of action is it? Does it provoke? Can you pass an object on your turn, then move off, and the other person retrieves the object on his turn, meaning the object is "hovering in mid-air"?

It seems to me that what would make sense would be a move action on the part of the passer to hand off the object, then an immediate action on the part of the passee to get it. That would make passing the object provoke an AoO, but getting the object wouldn't, since it would be a swift action.

The other way would be for the passee to use the Steal action against the ally to "steal" the item, making it a standard action for the passee and no action at all for the passer. The passee would have to make a Steal check, but only against a DC of 10 plus size modifier, since the passer wouldn't be resisting.

Doing it like either of these ways would mean that Heward wouldn't be able to pass one until this turn.

As for why Awgin didn't get an AoO, the thing has Spring Attack. Seems that in addition to keeping its memories and personality, the damned thing also kept its fighter levels...

Sir Mital's stats:

HP: 38/51
AC: 15; T12; FF14
F/R/W: +8/+5/+5
CMD: 16


Awgin will Steal the javelin.
Steal 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Awgin is successful, getting Heward's extra javelin.

Calatin stands back by the main entrance, staunching his wounds.

Laya is up.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya hurries out to the main hall with the light source. Double move to K60.


Via C62, Sir Mital swoop attacks Awgin once again. No attacks of opportunity for either of you this time.

Attack: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 9 + 1 = 28
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3 Fort save DC 13
I didn't get one from you last time, so now you owe me two, Awgin. The "poison" is such that it only prevents healing magic from curing the damage, not any sort of ability damage, etc.

Heward, Awgin, Calatin, Laya


AC 15, T 12, FF 13; HP 13/24
Fort 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Fort 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Awgin readies to grab at Sir Mital on his next attack run.
Grapple 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20 Damage 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

2,351 to 2,400 of 2,474 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Magnimar Special Investigations Unit One All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.