Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Magnimar Special Investigations Unit One (Inactive)

Game Master Nazard

A serial police drama set in Magnimar - unit One.


2,301 to 2,350 of 2,474 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>

I believe I'm now in the bash it in portion of the program.
Flail:
to hit 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


The sturdy door now has a small dent.


Unless stopped, I'll continue down this path until there is no more door to open.
Someone did go around back right?"


As Awgin continues bashing on the door, shouts to go away continue from inside. Neighborhood residents start coming out of their homes to see what's going on, many of them start shouting for the Watch. A couple men in sleeping clothes approach the group with drawn swords.


No response to Calatin from inside?

Seeing the gathering crowd, Heward motions for Awgin to stop.

He steps closer to the door and announces. "Sir. It is the Watch! Are you all right? Please come to the door!"


Heward Wallas wrote:

No response to Calatin from inside?

Seeing the gathering crowd, Heward motions for Awgin to stop.

He steps closer to the door and announces. "Sir. It is the Watch! Are you all right? Please come to the door!"

No replies, other than to go away and that everything is fine here. The man's voice has been getting more and more desperate as Awgin continues his assault on the door.

The two men with swords stop and look uncertain as Heward identifies himself to the residents as a member of the Watch. But they don't leave...


A crowd of people huddled in a shrinking pool of sunlight while Mig rants at them....

"Sir, come to the door now! We need to see if you are all right." Heward looks at Awgin. "Count of ten, then we go together."

Aid another to break the door (Strength check) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


Awgin doesn't stop working on the door. "Make up your mind already. You want to get in or not?"


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya moves towards the gathering crowd, and, in particular, the two men with swords. She rummages through her pack, pulls out her MSI badge, and holds it up to be seen. "I know this may look a little odd, but there are important reasons for what we are doing. For your own safety, I urge you to back away. We don't want any innocents hurt."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


The two men glance at each other again, but seeing a badge and reassuring words (though awkwardly delivered), they back down and return to their homes (though they stay on their stoops and don't go inside). Other gawkers back away to about fifty feet from the group.


Awgin wrote:
Awgin doesn't stop working on the door. "Make up your mind already. You want to get in or not?"

"Yeah, I want to get in. I think something's fishy behind that door, but if we're wrong the captain's going to have my head. I wish Cobber would just open up."


At the mention of the Captain, Awgin stops hitting on the door. "So what do you suggest fearless leader?"


Heward takes a deep breath. "If we've blown it, we've blown it. A little extra property damage won't matter much. Let's get in there."


Awgin draws a dagger. "This probably won't work, but maybe enough damage has been done to the door." He tries to use the dagger to open the lock.
Disable Device 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 with whatever modifier the dm sees fit.
If that doesn't work, it's back to bashing the door in.


Nazard? For better or for worse it looks like we're going in.


Oh, my! Sorry folks, I thought I posted it to this thread, too. Maybe it got eaten. I'm away for the week, able to post by phone, but not edit or update maps, etc, and combat us a pain, so I was proposing going on hiatus until Sunday. Sorry this message didn't get out to you.


Okay, I'm back and ready to continue. Thanks all for your patience. Megan, I'm about as refreshed as it is possible to be after spending a week at a choir camp with 99 8-13 year olds in a musty uninsulated cabin during a week of 90% humidity, 6 hours of rehearsal each day, and no alcohol.

It was a blast.

Maps Updated

The door is too high quality for Awgin to jimmy open with a dagger, so he returns to bashing it in. While the door is well made, it is no match for a determined half-orc, and he eventually bashes it open. Awgin and Heward have 6 rounds remaining on their remove fear spells.

The main foyer is a grand affair with a marble staircase ascending to a marble-railed mezzanine on the second level. Two marble statues flank the passage on the ground, and one guards the top of the stairs. Two large arches lead into formal rooms, and doors behind the stairs lead into others, with a double set at the north end. A small lamp on a table beside the staircase provides a bit of illumination to this room, and light in the room to your right flickers like fire light. The fire, combined with unseasonably-warm late Rova weather, causes the townhouse to feel like an inferno.

Standing fifteen feet from the ruined doors stands a man in rumpled clothes. He grips a bastard sword in both hands high above his head, and with a single glance into the room with the light, lets out a terrified, wordless yell and charges you. A woman's despairing voice calls out, "No!!" from the room with the light.

Perception DC 15:
The sword looks old, but exceptionally well-made. Despite the fact that it's metal is so dull it doesn't reflect the lamp light, the edge looks razor sharp.

Sense Motive DC 15 (Awgin and Heward have a +2 bonus; Calatin a -2 penalty):
Given the way the man holds the sword, and the trembling in his arms, it's quite clear that he has absolutely no training in its use, or probably any weapon.

Initiative:
Calatin Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Laya Initiative: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (5) + 0 = 5
Awgin Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Heward Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Man's Initiative: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18

Round 1
The man charges Awgin, swinging his sword clumsily.
Attack: 1d20 - 6 + 2 ⇒ (6) - 6 + 2 = 2

Initiative:
Man
Heward
Awgin
Calatin
Laya

Man's stats:

HP: 6
AC/Touch/FF: 9/9/9 (7 due to charging)
F/R/W: 0/-1/2


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Sense Motive check: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (12) - 2 = 10

Action (when it's my turn): Stay back out of the way, and call out "Put the weapon down and keep your hands where I can see them!"


Completely lost the dot. Thanks for the PM Nazard!

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 Sense Motive 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

"I am a Watchman! Put down that sword." Heward doesn't wait for compliance. He tries to help the fellow comply by snaking Brienne between the fellow's legs and tripping him.

CMB for trip attempt 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

That roll probably won't work, but can you throw CMD into opponent's stats, Nazard?


His CMD is 7. Down he goes.

Awgin is up. I'll PM him too, just in case.

Edit: he just charged, so his CMD has the same penalty as his AC, so his CMD is actually 5.


Sorry. I've been so busy helping with my family's annual picnic I hadn't realized we were back on.
While Heward has him down, Awgin takes away the man's weapon.
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 1 + 2 = 15

Disarm: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Laya delays until she's seen the man's next response.


A woman, also in rumpled clothes and with a smooth, bald scalp, comes running out into the foyer from the firelit room. She drops to her knees and drapes her body across the man.

"Please, don't hurt him. He was only trying to save me."

For his part, the man makes no effort to get up or retrieve his weapon.

combat over, and folks were worried this group was ineffective in battle. You just took down that first level commoner like it was nothing.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

"Our apologies for frightening you," Laya says, moving over to the woman. "Although we could have been more tactful..." Her eyes wander to Awgin before returning to the woman. ...we did announce ourselves, and he attacked us anyway. But don't worry. We have no intention of harming you. We are here, however, in search of something else that may have every intention of harming you if it hasn't already. Given your fearful response to our presence, I suspect you know already what we seek."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


The woman's eyes, swimming with controlled fear, quickly glance inside the house and back. "Please, he ...did something to me. At first, it was just threats to me, and my husband did whatever he said, but then my hair fell out, and we believed him. He told us he'd undo it if we got him diamonds. 25,000 gold worth. Please, we'll pay them back. Some how."


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya frowns at the apparent admission of theft. "Yes, well, we'll deal with that later. Where is he, the one who told you to get the diamonds? Whatever he's told you has been a lie. He won't cure you, but we can. Or rather, we can take you to someone who can."


The woman seems to resist telling for a moment, her latent fear still having a hold. Then, she whispers, "Upstairs," and deflates before you, all fight now gone. "He...it... ordered my husband to fight you off, like he's ever held a sword before. It's upstairs."


Awgin hurries up the stairs. "Which room?" He growls out as he goes.


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Calatin waddles over to the distraught woman.

"Never you mind, now. We will help sort everything out. Did it kiss both of you? As for the diamonds, where did you get them from? They'll have to go back, of course, but I see no reason why you should get into trouble, you were acting under duress, and clearly out of character."


Heward has a quick look in the firelit room before going upstairs.


Perhaps the Watchman stretches his neck a little further into the firelit room for a better view?


"I don't know. Just upstairs. No, it didn't kiss Farron, just me. It used Farron to get the diamonds."

Awgin and Heward head in and for the stairs. Looking left and right, you see formal reception rooms.

To the left: This formal room is empty of many furnishings, save for a few small tables and an ornately-carved fireplace.

To the right: This formal room is empty save for a pair of well-stocked bookcases, and an ornately-carved fireplace.

Awgin Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Heward Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

As you start your ascent, Heward notices some movement behind the statue that "guards" the top of the stairs. That's all the warning he has, however, before said statue tips over and comes crashing down the stairs at the pair of you!!

Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 2) = 8 Reflex save DC 17 for half damage or take full damage and be knocked prone at the bottom of the stairs. Heward, you can have a single surprise round action, but keep in mind that if you try running up the stairs, you'll still have to deal with the statue, and possibly take extra damage from tumbling down to the bottom of the staircase.

Calatin Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Laya Initiative: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16
Awgin Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Heward Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Sir Mital Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Round 1
Awgin
Calatin
Laya
Sir Mital
Heward (waiting on surprise round action)

Map Updated
At the moment, you can all view this one, since none of you can see anything different of interest. Sir Mital is in F59, but up on the second floor mezzanine.


Refelx save? This is going to hurt.

Reflex 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

"Look out!" Heward tries push Awgin against the wall and out of the way of the tumbling statue. The heavy stone hits him and he crashes down the stairs.

My action will be Aid another for Awgin's save. 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Get him Dax


Oh, and the statue rubble will now make the two squares at I60 and I61 difficult terrain. Heward has rumbled back into I60.


Thanks, Heward

Ref 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 5 + 2 = 20

In his haste to take down the monster, Awgin doesn't react to the statue bowling down the stairs, but Heward shoves him into the wall. Awgin manages to scramble along the wall for several feet on all fours using his claws to good effect. He continues up the stairway roaring as he goes.

Move action up the stairs, attack if I can.
Flail:
to hit 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10 damage 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Sir Mital's stats:

HP 51
AC/Touch/FF: 15/12/14
F/R/W: +8/+5/+5
CMD: 16

Awgin's flail misses, bouncing off the pedestal that used to hold the statue. Awgin sees how the vargouille must have prepared the statue in advance for just such a use.

Awgin Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Never mind. :)

Up next: Calatin, then Laya


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

"Huh?" says Calatin, completely confused by the racket.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya moves forward into the room (to L61) and pulls out a scroll of cure light wounds.


Sir Mital withdraws from Awgin, flying out into the middle of the open area. I've added him to the lower map, but he's fifteen feet up from there (five feet up from the same position on the second floor map with Awgin).

Round 1
Awgin
Calatin
Laya
Sir Mital
Heward (I know he said he'd be out of commission for a bit, but I'll give him a bit of time to see if he's around to post. Did he ever get around to equipping himself with a crossbow like he's berated himself for not going the last two encounters?;))

Maps Updated
Heward map is downstairs for Heward, Laya, and Calatin. Awgin map is for, well, Awgin.


Arrgh! I can't reach him and if I go around he'll only float somewhere else. I gotta get a ranged weapon too.

I don't think Heward has a crossbow yet. He hasn't had much time to get one.

Awgin goes around the top floor trying to get closer to Mital. (Double move to T64)


Heward pulls himself off the floor. Crossbows! Maybe I can get Calatin to carry one.

He draws a javelin from the long quiver on his back. He rushes three steps forward and throws.

MOve to J61.

Javelin at Mital 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10 .... damage 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


Heward tosses a javelin up...and it comes clattering back down. The vargouille snickers at him. He then watches as Awgin starts coming around the mezzanine.

Calatin is up.


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Calatin, who likes such things, does his trig regarding range of a burning hands spell, then beckons the vargouille... a couple of feet lower will do nicely... his grin widens as he makes a 'come on' gesture with one hand, the other close enough to form the correct gesture for the spell (thumbs together and fingers outspread towards the target) instantaneously.

Held action, loose the spell as soon as the vargouille is in range...


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya steps up to Heward and uses her scroll on him.

5-ft step to K60.
Cure light wounds on Heward: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


"Thanks, Laya," Heward grunts as he reaches for another javelin and waits for Mital to make his move.


The vargouille flaps five feet laterally left, away from the approaching Awgin, and let's out a patented vargouille scream.

Will saves, all. Awgin and Heward get their save bonuses.


1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
No save bonus is good enough to help me here.


1d20 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 1 + 4 = 9

Heward stiffens, paralyzed with fear.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Will: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Laya shivers slightly at the memory of being affected by the previous vargouille's scream, but she is able to push the effects of this one aside.


Calatin will save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Calatin also succumbs to the paralyzingly fear of the vargouille's scream.

Laya is up. This should be interesting.

2,301 to 2,350 of 2,474 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Magnimar Special Investigations Unit One All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.