Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Magnimar Special Investigations Unit One (Inactive)

Game Master Nazard

A serial police drama set in Magnimar - unit One.


2,151 to 2,200 of 2,474 << first < prev | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | next > last >>
Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Awgin and Calatin make their way down the Escarpment towards Rag's End. As they arrive at the dive bar Councillor Pellerin elected to meet them in, unbeknownst to them, their friends fight for their lives just two small blocks away. But blissfully ignorant, they enter probably the first eating establishment Calatin has ever seen where he thinks dieting might be preferrable to partaking.

Perception checks, please gentlemen.


Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
After stepping into the dive, Awgin slides to the side to minimize the amount of time he is silhouetted in the doorway as well as allowing his senses to better acclimate to the level of light inside. Awgin comes to the conclusion that he'd been in worse places, though none came immediately to mind.


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Perception roll requested, 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

I am obviously distracted by speculation about how it's possible to make food look and smell so unappetising!

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Awgin notices, among the many patrons who glance at the pair of you and then look away, one dirty man at a table by himself watching you intently, while trying not to look like he's watching you intently. Awgin also notices that the man's beard is slightly crooked, and he suspects it's fake.


Awgin rolls his eyes and lets out a heavy sigh before walking to the table and taking a seat.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

"Hey! Wh- what d-d-d-do you think you're d-d-doing? This s-s-s-s-s-s-seat's taken!" the man protests, a little louder than perhaps necessary.


Intimidate 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Awgin responds with a hard stare.


Heward tightens his grip on Brienne and waits for the crowd of vargouille infected to make its move.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Five of the infected push towards Heward, while one climbs the stairs at Khismia, all of them swinging their improvised weapons with lethal intent, though no success.

Attack on Heward: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (14) - 4 = 10; damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Attack on Heward: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (5) - 4 = 1; damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Attack on Heward: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (1) - 4 = -3; damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Attack on Heward: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (16) - 4 = 12; damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Attack on Heward: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (10) - 4 = 6; damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1

Attack on Khismia: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (9) - 4 = 5; damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6

The other two, not able to reach this round, ready attacks against any of you who come near them.

Up next: Laya, Phillip, Mig


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

"Oh dear, oh dear," Laya mutters, moving up to the door. "I do so hate the violence." She raises a hand and more loudly says, "Heward's correct. We can heal you. You just have to remain calm and put away your weapons."

Move to -E8. Ready gentle touch if somebody tries to attack her: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Expecting the be-tentacled unlikely to listen to reason, Phil moves forward to face the one that has gone after Khismia...

2H Cutlass (non-lethal): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13 for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

...the flat of his blade connecting with a solid thump - though not hard enough to drive the infected to the ground. He blurts to Khismia "Press on, I've got your back"


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Calatin waddles after Awgin and sits down at the table as well.

"What do you recommend?" he asks mildly.


Heward continues to shout at the infected. "I'm with the Watch! Back off before you get hurt!"

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

A few of the infected glance at each other and up at Mig. Clearly, they are terrified, both of you and Mig. One good roar might send them scattering.


Female Human (Keleshite) Rogue (investigator) 2

It's Mig's init, right, before it gets back to us?

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Round 2

Mig, seeing that Phillip has reinforcements, shrieks once again. Heward, Laya, and Khismia need DC 12 Fortitude saves or be paralyzed with fear. Mig then flaps five feet to the north away from Khismia.

"Kill them all!" Mig shouts.

Up next: Khismia, Heward, Infected


Female Human (Keleshite) Rogue (investigator) 2

Fortitude 1d20 ⇒ 1 *sigh* Go, Heward. Ironic that I built this character specifically to be more combat-useful than Auriel and she's not going to get a chance to make an actual attack.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Fortitude (with racial bonus vs fear): 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 2 = 9
Well, it's not like Laya could do much anyway. The only useful spells she had prepared were cast earlier in the day. Comprehend languages won't do much good right now. :)


Fort save 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

"Hargreaves, cover Khismia! I've got Laya." Heward shouts, even though the ex-pirate is already on his way.

He drops his halberd into a low guard position, "You lot! I told you to stand back!"

Intimidate 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Heward jabs Brienne at his righthand attacker. 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 .. damage 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

No time to make nice. If I can scare the crowd, we can concentrate on Mig. If I can't scare the crowd, we're in doodoo. Of course putting one down may just set them off ....?

Navior that comp languages isn't a domain spell is it?

Nazard, where did Heward's first javelin end up?

I wish Awgin were here.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

If you scream really loud, he might hear you...:)

Technically, using Intimidate like that is a standard action, and I assume you'd rather it's effect than taking down the infected civilian. The infected take a good look at Heward, brandishing his halberd. The threat from him being much more present than that of the vargouille, they scatter, three out the door, the rest into an office behind the south stairs. Heward and Phillip can make attacks of opportunity if they want. The one on the stairs between Phillip and Khismia tries to push past Phillip to get away. Phillip can choose to let him go, or force an overrun attempt from him.

Laya paralyzed: 2d4 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4 rounds
Khismia paralyzed: 2d4 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6 rounds

Up next: Laya, Phillip, Mig

Javelin scatter: 1d8 ⇒ 2
Up on 1: 1d2 ⇒ 1

The javelin is stuck in the wall behind where the vargouille was. I'll get the map updated tonight.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya stands frozen in terror.

Yes, comprehend languages is a domain spell. She actually still has her detect evil available as well, so that could be converted to healing if that's what you're after. She can also still channel, but that risks healing the enemies as well.


Damn. I was hoping they'd just go hide in a corner. I knew I should have shouted at Laya to close the door. And I do want the AoO, I can cut the threat down to 2 loose.

"You three, stop!" Heward commands. When they don't stop, he tries to hook his halberd through one's legs.

Trip, the one closest to the door that I can still reach. 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Phillip interposes between the door and the one before him that tries to flee...
AoO (non-lethal): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21 for 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Crit: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23 for 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
...meaning only to brain the infected enough to put her down, but circumstances make his blow a little stronger than intended and the infected's neck snaps back with a sickening crunch as his basket hilt smacks into it's skull.

Phil then moves past the stricken Khismia to bring his cutlass to bear on what once was Mig...
Cutlass (2H lethal): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13 for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
...his hurried swipe missing the mark.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

As Phillip is slashing forward at Mig, he has a fraction of a second to realize that the floor of the catwalk underneath him is less than stable before the rotted wood gives way.

Reflex save DC 13 to hop back safely to I12, otherwise he falls through to the ground floor, suffering 1d6 ⇒ 1 points of damage and ending up prone. Either way, he hears villainous laughter from the vargouille.

Initiative Order: Mig, Khismia, Heward, Infected, Laya, Phillip

ROUND 3

Laya: 3 rounds to free
Khismia: 5 rounds to free

Waiting to see if Phillip falls or not before deciding Mig's action.

MAP UPDATED (assuming Phillip passes his save)

blue circle is tripped; red circle is paralyzed


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Reflex: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

Phil catches himself and steps backwards as the staircase gives way.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Mig flaps forward to J12 and bites at Phillip.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4 Phillip is flailing about too much in his recovery for the vargouille to successfully target.

Up next: Khismia, Heward, Laya, Phillip


Female Human (Keleshite) Rogue (investigator) 2

That would be Heward and then Phillip again. Laya can't act until round 6 and Khismia until round 8.


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Phil steadies himself before lashing out with another wild two-handed swing...
Cutlass (2H lethal): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
...missing by a mile as he takes a step back to be alongside Khismia's unmoving form.

5ft to H,12 after swing


Heward looks at the two running out the open door. Shelyn's globes, that's trouble.

"You! In the office with them!" He takes three steps to kick the outside door closed, leaving Laya outside. Then he spins and moves toward the center of the room drawing another javelin
as he goes. He sights and throws at MIg's head.

End in I9

Javelin 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11 .... damage 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Idiot. I knew we were going against a flying foe. Why didn't I requisition us some crossbows?

Nazard, I'll want to know where that one lands too. I have a feeling I'm going to be picking them up and throwing them many times.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

1d8 + 1d2 ⇒ (7) + (2) = 9
That javelin ends up stuck in the railing of the catwalk to Mig's left.


Female Human (Keleshite) Rogue (investigator) 2

Laya ought to be able to act now.

Vargouille wrote:
Shriek (Su) Instead of biting, a vargouille can open its distended mouth to shriek. Those within 60 feet (except other vargouilles) who hear the shriek and can clearly see the creature must succeed on a DC 12 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 2d4 rounds or until the monster attacks them, goes out of range, or leaves their sight. A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same vargouille's shriek for 24 hours. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Actually, Laya shouldn't have been affected by the shriek at all from the doorway, should she? Phillip had to move into the building and around the staircase railing before he could see the vargouille.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Yes, that's a good point. Laya was affected, because Mig had moved far enough to the north to just catch Laya, but now that he's moved back to engage Phillip, that broke line of sight, so Laya can act this turn.

Up next: Laya, Phillip, Mig


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya snaps out of the terror that had taken hold of her. "How embarrassing," she mutters, and reaches out for the nearest of the fleeing infected.

Gentle touch: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Laya is able to snag one of the fleeing infected in the alleyway, who is no staggered. The fight left him, he simply drops to the ground and huddles against the wall. The third runaway, a bald woman wearing the revealing clothes of a prostitute, pauses at the end of the alley to look back at Laya, then bolts into the street.

Up next: Phillip, Mig, Khismia, Heward


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Phil missed - see a few posts up... rolled a 9

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Oops, sorry. See it now.

ROUND 4

Khismia: 4 rounds till free

Mig cackles at Phillip's clumsy attempts to hit him, then bites at him again.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1

The creature grazes Phillip's cheek with his teeth in a parody of the dreaded vargouille kiss. Fort save, please.

Up next: Khismia (frozen), Heward, Laya, Phillip


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Round 4: 14/15 HP

Fort Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20

Phil feels the blood begin to seep from the cut to his cheek and lashes out with his cutlass wildly...

Cutlass (2H): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17 for1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

...landing a glancing blow of his own on what was once Mig.


Heward draws his last javelin and hurls it at Mig. Then he dashes up the stairs.

Move to H12

Javelin 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23 ... Damage 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Crit Confirm 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 ... Damage 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Heward's javelin pierces the creature, which screams in rage (not the magical kind).

Botting Laya, who has said in other games that he's quite busy the next two days...
Laya dashes to the corner, looking up and down the street...
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
...but catches no sign of the fleeing infected woman. Looking about she does see several businesses open and operating, including two brothels and three pubs. The woman could have ducked into any of them, or any one of a number of alleyways.

Phillip slashes out as the vargouille is distracted by Heward's javelin, and adds a small wound of his own.

ROUND 5
Khismia: 3 rounds till free

Mig hisses in anger and withdraws, flying backwards along the catwalk to L12 (J12 is the hole in the catwalk). It's hard to see on the map, so I'll remind you that there is a second stairway at M10 and M11 that leads up to the catwalk.

Up next: Khismia (paralyzed), Heward, Laya, Phillip

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

The man in the bad disguise nearly swallows his back teeth at Awgin's glare before remembering who he is and who they are. As Calatin sits down, he seems to have regained some of his composure. "N-N-Nothing, actually. Everything here c-c-c-comes with a side order of c-c-c-cockroach. Where are the r-r-rest of your g-g-group?"


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

"Busy about other cases... policework is one of those relentless tasks that never end. So, what did you wish to see us about?" said Calatin, for once in his life not feeling in the slightest bit hungry.


Awgin orders drinks for the table. "If you don't drink, everyone will be able to tell you don't belong."


Heward says to Khismia, "I need this more than you do right now."

He grabs her crossbow, loads a quarrel and fires at Mig.

Crossbow 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23 .... damage 1d6 ⇒ 2

Crit confirm 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18 .... damage 1d6 ⇒ 1


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Phil shakes his head before attempting to charge forward and vault the gap...
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
...drawing close enough to the once-was-Mig to unleash another cross-slash with his cutlass...
Cutlass (2H): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10 for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
...unbalanced by the jump and missing poorly.

Jump to K,12 and hope it holds

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Heward, those are terrible damage rolls. Of course, you should have rolled d8s, so here's a free do over.
2d8 ⇒ (6, 5) = 11

The quarrel flies into the creature's open mouth...and halfway out the back. The vargouille drops to the floor.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Laya continues searching for the runaway.
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 but has no further luck.

Meanwhile, back inside, Khismia comes out of her frozen state.


Heward hands the crossbow back to Khismia, "Thanks. I should have brought one of those too." He turns to Phillip. "You ok, Hargreaves? Let's make sure the head is dead, then check those civilians and Laya."

[ooc]airport internet access rocks!

My ideas-- if you want to see them.:
Whoever's closest should check Mig and make sure he's really down. Maybe we could get Robal to positively ID him when we get outside. Can the infected ID him?

How do the infected look? How much time til sunset? Is it reasonable to think we could get the infected to the temple before dark? Walking? Carriage? If there's sunlight and they look OK, we want to get them outside. Can they ID the ones that ran outside?

We've got to back up Laya too.

*** Before leaving H will want to quickly retreive his javelins.

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

You only have minutes left before sunset, but the infected look like they'll last a few hours yet before turning.

Does Heward want to question the infected?


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Phil nods assent to the question before making sure that Mig is fully dead. He then gives the warehouse a quick recon to ensure that there are no more vargouilles or infected hiding within...
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Marathon Voter 2013, Dedicated Voter 2014, Star Voter 2015

Searching the warehouse, Phillip finds no more infected or vargouilles. He does fin a headless corpse in the upstairs office. The corpse is wearing what looks like very fine studded leather armour.

2,151 to 2,200 of 2,474 << first < prev | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Magnimar Special Investigations Unit One All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.