Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Magnimar Special Investigations Unit One (Inactive)

Game Master Nazard

A serial police drama set in Magnimar - unit One.


1,901 to 1,950 of 2,474 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>

Female Human (Keleshite) Rogue (investigator) 2

Khismia nods in approval at the mage's inclination to get the job done; she certainly doesn't want to spend another day standing around a library accomplishing nothing. "Do you go report to your commander, or do I?" she asks Awgin. "The other stays to continue protecting the wizard."

Whichever you want to do, Dax -- report on the vargouille information or continue bodyguarding -- Khismia will take the other.


Heward walks down to the messenger service to get his letter sent to Percival. Returning he enters the cells to try to keep the prisoners calm and see if he can win anymore information from them, including personal information, while he waits for Laya's or Phillip's return.


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

I'll put a short time freeze on Phil to allow the other threads to catch up time wise with his bumbling street canvass ;)


Heward and Laya: 10h30 as Laya arrives back at MSI from the cathedral

Calatin, Awgin, and Khismia: 11h30 when Calatin finishes researching the vargouilles

Phillip: 13h00 when he finishes canvassing the area in Rag's End


Hearing Laya come in, Heward looks around from his conversation with Robal. "Laya! What have you got?"


Heward doesn't boss me around and I don't want her to think that he does, but Calatin might need me. If he becomes the next victim and the Captain learns that I left him... "I'll stay with my partner." Awgin eventually says.


Female Human (Keleshite) Rogue (investigator) 2

Khismia nods and head back to MSI HQ to deliver Calatin's findings.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

"We need to move those two somewhere brighter," Laya says to Heward. "Sunlight delays the infection's progress. Darkness speeds it up. Now, I'm informed that it's unlikely they are affected. Otherwise, they probably would have already changed by now. However, we can't take any chances. Do we have anywhere brightly lit that they can be kept securely?"


"Hey! You don't have to go. There's plenty of paperwork to shuffle through. We could do that while Caly boy does his thing. That way when we do get back there you can impress Law Boy with what you know."


Laya wrote:
"We need to move those two somewhere brighter," Laya says to Heward. "Sunlight delays the infection's progress. Darkness speeds it up. Now, I'm informed that it's unlikely they are affected. Otherwise, they probably would have already changed by now. However, we can't take any chances. Do we have anywhere brightly lit that they can be kept securely?"

They're definitely infected, they just haven't completed the transformation.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1
Nazard wrote:
Laya wrote:
"We need to move those two somewhere brighter," Laya says to Heward. "Sunlight delays the infection's progress. Darkness speeds it up. Now, I'm informed that it's unlikely they are affected. Otherwise, they probably would have already changed by now. However, we can't take any chances. Do we have anywhere brightly lit that they can be kept securely?"
They're definitely infected, they just haven't completed the transformation.

Oh, I was going by this line from the Cryptmistress:

Nazard wrote:
"Chances are if you have to ask, they aren't infected."

How did we determine they're definitely infected?


They have tentacles growing out of their heads, so either they go to a really skanky barber, or...
The crypt mistress meant that if you have to ask (as in, they have no symptoms) then chances are they're clean.


Female Human (Keleshite) Rogue (investigator) 2
Awgin wrote:
"Hey! You don't have to go. There's plenty of paperwork to shuffle through. We could do that while Caly boy does his thing. That way when we do get back there you can impress Law Boy with what you know."

"From what the wizard says, the threat to Magnimar is severe, and the Bazaar of Sails itself is in danger," Khismia responds. "I am not interested in 'impressing' your commanding officer; his approbation or disappointment has no effect on my advancement. The Princess needs to be warned, to have her Court on guard against those showing signs of infection; then I will take word to your superior."

Khismia will stop by the Bazaar to inform the Princess about the danger of the epidemic; then continue on to the Summit to deliver the information to Heward. Of course, the only cures are spells that we're not high-level enough to have access to, so I don't know how much good it will do.

information delivered first to the Princess of the Market, then to Heward:
Remove disease, remove curse, or break enchantment will all cure someone infected by a vargouille. Sunlight or a light spell of third plus level will pause the transformation, which typically takes between 4 and 24 hours to run its course.

Vargouilles can spread their taint quite easily and as often as they wish, making an epidemic very likely, especially in a place such as Rag's End. Assuming a very modest infection rate of only 10 people in the first night, that would make for 22 vargouilles by tonight, 220 by the next night, 2,200 by the 17th...Calatin's idle figures quickly run cold as he realizes the entire population of Magnimar could be vargouilles in a little under a week.


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

"See you later, Khismia," said Calatin once a decision was reached.

"As for you, Awgin, the Stonebowl, our snackbar, is out through that door and on your left. I'd appreciate a pie to keep me going, and you might want something for yourself. I'll be in the stack over there as my starting point for researching more about mage-specific poisions."

Calatin bustled off without a backward glance, mind already focussed on the next avenue of research to pursue...


Heward and Laya: 10h30 as Laya arrives back at MSI from the cathedral

Khismia: 12h15 when she arrives at MSI to report Calatin's findings

Calatin and Awgin: 14h30 when Calatin finishes researching the intoxicant

Phillip: 13h00 when he finishes canvassing the area in Rag's End

Khismia:
Khismia's audience with the princess is short and to the point. Expecting to hear more about the wizard incident, she's initially angry that Khismia is bringing something else to her, but as Khismia relates the seriousness of the situation, her anger melts away and a look of worry and concern flashes across her features. She thanks Khismia for her diligence, and dismisses her, activity already brewing behind her as Khismia heads to MSI.

Calatin's findings, reposted for convenience:
Time: 1d4 ⇒ 3 hours
Knowledge: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (4) + 20 = 24
Alchemy: 1d20 + 6 + 20 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 20 = 34
It takes Calatin several hours to find a single obscure reference to arcane inebriant, in an ancient tome on the war between Geb and Nex. Used by Geb to infect the non-undead magic users of Nex, it was quite devastating until a simple innoculant was discovered easily made from herbs - at least, herbs local to Geb. A great stealth raid was conducted whereby the wizards from Nex stole a stockpile of this herb and were able to cultivate it locally, neutralizing the threat of the inebriant poison. Alas, Calatin doesn't recognize the herb as anything to be found locally, though small quantities might be for sale in some of the more exotic shops in Magnimar.


Heward frowns at Laya's words. He doesn't want the men to die on his watch. Hopefully they'll die after a fair trial.

"All right, Laya, we'll take them up on the roof. Can the temple do any more for them?"

Nazard, is there city run medical service for prisoners? What have we got in the way of restraints? Any iron masks? Shackles? I am assuming that the letter to Capt. P already went out per my March 29 post.

"Mrs. Brigglespan, send another message to Captain Percival. Express post. I need a full squad here. Someone's got to watch our prisoners while we check the graveyard. I've a feeling we're going to need more messengers too. See if we can hire three for the day."

Nazard, feel free to have us wait if you need to even out the timeline.


Was I able to get the information on classmates and professors for Veers and Datedy.?


M Human Wizard (Divination School Specialist)/2

Hold until timeline catches me up!


Awgin wrote:
Was I able to get the information on classmates and professors for Veers and Datedy.?

Absolutely. Awgin gets dumped on about fifty sheets of parchment, with several lists with hundreds of names to go through.


Heward Wallas wrote:

Heward frowns at Laya's words. He doesn't want the men to die on his watch. Hopefully they'll die after a fair trial.

"All right, Laya, we'll take them up on the roof. Can the temple do any more for them?"

Nazard, is there city run medical service for prisoners? What have we got in the way of restraints? Any iron masks? Shackles? I am assuming that the letter to Capt. P already went out per my March 29 post.

"Mrs. Brigglespan, send another message to Captain Percival. Express post. I need a full squad here. Someone's got to watch our prisoners while we check the graveyard. I've a feeling we're going to need more messengers too. See if we can hire three for the day."

Nazard, feel free to have us wait if you need to even out the timeline.

Actually, it's you and Laya I need to catch up, so no waiting for you!

The city-run medical services for prisoners basically amounts to providing bandages when the prisoners shiv each other. There's certainly no provision for casting third level spells on tomb robbers. As for restraints, you have whatever would be normal for a fantasy-era urban police station to have. Definitely manacles, probably a few iron masks if need be.

Mrs. Brigglespan nods, gathers her shawl, and dashes out the door.

At 11h15, a squad of Watchmen arrives, led by a familiar, angry, and probably unwelcome face.

"Lona! I hadn't realized they stuck you in with the freak show!"

"Oh, you know, Sgt. Wizzo. Birds of a feather..."

"No kidding," he replies. "Sgt. Wizzo, reporting for duty, sir," he adds to Heward with as much icy sarcasm as he can manage.


Well Awgin does not like this sort of stuff so as soon as Calatin is done with his research, Awgin will be ready to give the papers to him.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1
Heward Wallas wrote:

Heward frowns at Laya's words. He doesn't want the men to die on his watch. Hopefully they'll die after a fair trial.

"All right, Laya, we'll take them up on the roof. Can the temple do any more for them?"

"Well, they know of the situation," Laya replies. "Hopefully, somebody will be round soon to help as best they can."

When Sergeant Wizzo and his squad arrives, she plucks a feather from her hat. "Birds of a feather, exactly, see?" She hands the feather to Wizzo.


Male Halfling Inquisitor of Calistria (Heretic archetype)

Having had his canvassing flustered by a lack of nibbles on the bait dangled, Phillip sighs and moves off to see if he can snag the attention of any of the local flatfeet on his way to the rendezvous.

Phil's looking for some watchmen to comply with Heward's instruction before moving off to the tomb.


Heward will settle for shackles while the prisoners are on the roof, but will keep the iron masks handy.

Heward waits for Wizzo to respond to Laya before answering the sergeant. "Sergeant Wizzo. I didn't expect you. These two prisoners have a curse on them. They've been kissed by a vargouille. They need to be kept in strong sunlight as long as possible today. They also need to be locked up in the cells before sundown.

"The Pharasmin tell us that they'll change into vargouilles after being taken out of sunlight, but we don't know how long. It could be almost right away. It could be hours after dark. They might last the night to see another day. We just don't know.

"The vargouille is like a flying head and its scream can freeze your blood and steal your nerves so you can't move. When the change comes their bodies die and the head pops off and takes flight even before the body hits the ground. Keep your team safe. Be ready to put these two down. I advise fitting them into those masks while the sun is still up.

"The most important thing if they change is to keep the vargouille's away from the city. These two had a friend who died and changed right in front of us this morning.

"Laya and I are going to check out the spot where they ran into this vargouille. We should be back soon."


Wizzo's mocking features soften somewhat as Heward gives him the low down on the situation.

"Man! You folks really do deal with some freaked-out s%@$, don't you? We'll keep them safe until sundown, and then we'll keep the city safe from them. You go find the rest of them."

He snaps orders to some of his men and leads a group of ten down into the dungeon to fetch the prisoners.

Phillip:
By the time Phillip gets around to following his orders, he finds that the local Watchmen have already been alerted to the problem. Indeed, patrols of heavily armed Watchmen throughout Rag's End has a lot of the locals nervous and on edge.


Heward & Laya - Magnimar Memorial Gardens - District C - 11h40 - Rova 15, 4710 AR

Heward and Laya make their way to Magnimar Memorial Gardens in Vista. It's a small plot of land, dotted with artfully laid out flower beds, and square stone tombs. According to the directions given by Robal, the Cobbers tomb is near the far end of the Gardens.

As the tomb comes into view, you recognize the particular gargoyle as described by the tomb robbers. The door to the tomb stands open. As you watch, a grey-robed and hooded figure emerges from the tomb, turns, and shuts the door.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

"Ah, perhaps the Pharasmins beat us here," Laya says. She holds her hand up, waves, and calls out, "Hello there!"


The grey-robed figure freezes at Laya's call, then bolts forward deeper into the cemetary and around behind a tomb.

Stealth: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya lowers her hand sheepishly. "Not a Pharasmin apparently," she says. She adds quietly, "He's hiding just over there. I can make out the edges of his robe. If we run after him, he'll likely bolt."

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
I'm not entirely sure how far away they are, but I'll assume that result is high enough to negate any distance penalties. Correct me if I'm wrong.


Same assumption as Laya. I rolled a 16 on perception. Boards ate that post.

That's suspicious. Why would he run?

Heward whispers back, "Have you any magic to stop him?"

Whatever the answer, Heward draws a javelin from the long quiver on his back and starts toward the tomb.

If Laya has something, Heward will motion her to go left quietly while he swings wide to the right. He'll try to chase grey robes toward her. If she doesn't he'll go straight toward the tomb.


Yeah, it's enough. Laya and Heward swing wide, and slowly approach the grey-robed person's hiding spot. Does Laya want use a spell at this point?


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya shakes her head. "No magic that will do any good," she says.


Laya wrote:
Laya shakes her head. "No magic that will do any good," she says.

Heward grimaces. "I'll do this the hard way then."

As written above -- Straightline line to the tomb, drawing javelin on the way.


Laya and Heward approach the tomb behind which the grey-robed person is hiding, Heward readying a javelin. As Heward makes a dash forwards to challenge the grey-robe, a large cloud of mist suddenly erupts from behind the tomb. As Heward gets his bearings in the mist, he sees a robed shape coming at him, trying to run past him.

Heward can take any action normally allowed with an attack of opportunity.


Seeing the shape running nearby, Heward yells, "Stop by Magnimar's law!" and reverses the javelin. He lunges toward the figure and tries to thrust the javelin between greyrobe's legs.

CMB trip attempt -- 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Sweet! If grey-robes CMD is 16 or higher, Heward falls prone.


Heward lunges at the figure, missing wildly, and tripping over his own javelin, ending up on the ground.

Laya sees none of this from outside the mist, but she does see the grey-robed figure come running out of the cloud. This close, Laya's pretty sure it's a woman, though the hood is up and obscuring the face.

Laya can have an action for this "round". The figure passes with fifteen feet of her during her "move".


Heward pushes himself to his feet and dashes after greyrobes. He reaches for a second javelin as he runs.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Realizing she might have something of use after all, Laya moves straight towards the hooded figure and holds out her hand.

Move up to figure, use gentle touch: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
If she hits (against touch AC), hooded figure is staggered for 1 round.


Laya dashes forward and touches grey-robes. His/her run drops to a staggered walk. Heward is able to scramble to his feet and out of the fog before grey-robes gets too far ahead. He can try another grapple/trip.


Clearing the fog and seeing greyrobes nearby, Heward lowers his head and charges to tackle the fugitive.

Grapple 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 Charging bonus?

His shoulder drives into the fugitive's lower back and he wraps both arms around his waist.


Heward connects solidly with the grey-robe, sending both of you to the ground, eliciting a pained, female, grunt as you both land. "Okay, I yield!" she calls out.

When Heward rips the hood from her head, exposing her features, Laya comes face to face with the familiar sight of the cryptmistress, much more disheveled and red-faced than when she left her study less than an hour ago. She looks up at Laya, recognition dawning, followed by resignation and defeat.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

"Cryptmistress!" Laya exclaims in surprise. "Why didn't you just identify yourself when I called out? We were expecting you or one of your priests here."


Heward looks from his victim to Laya. "You know her?" he says as the full import of her words starts to sink in.


Laya wrote:
"Cryptmistress!" Laya exclaims in surprise. "Why didn't you just identify yourself when I called out? We were expecting you or one of your priests here."

"You were? I mean, of course you were. You startled me is all. Can't be too careful with vargouilles about. Young man, if you wouldn't mind getting off of me, I would most appreciate it."


"Yes. Yes, of course. I hope you're all right." Heward rolls away from her before pushing to his feet and offering a hand to pull her upright.

Nazard:

Spoiler:
Had we established Magnimar Memorial Gardens before Laya left?


"Quite," she replies sternly, though her flushed expression ruins the effect somewhat. She brushes bits of grass and dirt from her robes. "Well, everything seems in order here. I'll see to it that a locksmith is hired to repair the lock on the tomb." She nods farewell to you, and heads for the exit to the cemetery.

Heward:
Do you mean did Laya know where this specific tomb was before she went to the temple? No, you didn't learn that until after Laya left. All Laya knew when she went is that some grave robbers found a vargouille in a tomb.


Nazard:

Spoiler:
S'what I thought. Who owns or operates the local graveyards And MMG in particular? The Pharasmin, the city, private owners? know (local) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21 What's the neighborhood like? Fairly upscale?

"Hold a moment, ma'am. We're going to look around and there's safety in numbers, especially someone like yourself trained to deal with undead. Laya says you're an expert on these vargills and anything you could tell us about them would be helpful."


All graveyards are tended to by the Pharasmin, but this particular cemetery is owned by the City, specifically the office of the Lord Mayor. It's in Vista, and there aren't any slummy areas of Vista. It's all upper middle class.


Response of Cryptmistress to Heward's comment? He doesn't intend to let her walk away.


Female Halfling Bard (Archivist) 1

Laya eyes the Cryptmistress warily. "Yes," she says slowly in response to Heward's comment. "If there are vargouilles flying about in the broad daylight that they hate so much, we could use an expert like yourself."

1,901 to 1,950 of 2,474 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Magnimar Special Investigations Unit One All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.