Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Madness in Kintargo

Game Master Profession Smith 6 ranks

The dark shadow of the new Lord-Mayor Barzillai Thrune hangs over a series of mysterious disappearances in Kintargo during the time of the Glorious Reclamation in Cheliax.


501 to 550 of 560 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Male Half-orc Slayer 2/Fighter | HP 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 17 (T 12, FF 17) | F +7 R +7 W +2 | Init +2 | Darkvision, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5 | Active conditions:
Davina Eradon wrote:
"Cold Iron. Looks like we need to get more cold iron weapons."

"You can never carry too many knives. Well, I guess you can, but that number's gotta be pretty damn high."

Once Dom hears the moaning from inside the spider's snak-pak, it's time to act. He'll pick up the arrowhead and use that to help him cut the webbing free from first the body showing signs of life, then the other.


Lydia's Map | Roll20 Battlemap

Brassvane Residence

Dom cuts open the first silken cocoon, revealing a haggard, pallid, disheveled middle-aged woman. She's clearly shaken and confused by seeing strangers in her home, but she's polite enough to cough out a weak "Thank you."

When Dom opens the second cocoon, he finds the middle-aged man within dead, his blood and other inner fluids nearly sucked dry by the spider.

Wasn't There a Chest?:

Yes, and inside it are 6 vials of acid, 2 flasks of alchemist's fire, 2 tanglefoot bags, and 5 labeled potions: potion of remove disease, potion of lesser restoration, potion of cure light wounds (3).


Male Drow Paladin (Gray Paladin, Tempered Champion) 2 | 12/16 HP | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +4 | Initiative +3 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +6 | Darkness 0/1 | Lay on Hands 2/4 | Smite Evil 1/1 | Active Conditions: 1 Dex damage

T'chazzar cuts away some of the demon's bile, then says, "There's almost certain to be more. C'mon, let's get this bystander out of here and finish this."


Male Half-orc Slayer 2/Fighter | HP 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 17 (T 12, FF 17) | F +7 R +7 W +2 | Init +2 | Darkvision, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5 | Active conditions:
T'chazzar wrote:
"There's almost certain to be more. C'mon, let's get this bystander out of here and finish this."

Dom looks around. "I don't disagree, but where?" His attention turns to Gavin's mother. "Madam, I'm sure you understand by now that your son has gotten mixed up with something terrible. We're trying to find all the places he might have used as hiding spots. Is there anyplace else nearby he might have gone?"

Barring any further leads from the mother, we ought to a) go back over Gavin's notes, b) sweat the kid for a little more information.


Lydia's Map | Roll20 Battlemap

Brassvane Residence

Gavin's mom shakes her head a bit but then says, "I've heard him mention a cemetery before as a meeting spot for him and his friends.... Wait--he also mentioned a warehouse belonging to a family friend by the name of Rastuni during one of his last rants."

"Gavin had been acting strange...distant...obsessed with something for several days, staying in his room for hours on end, not going to work. When I last saw him a few days ago, he said he had important business with his friend Morlan. The next day there was a tremendous racket in his room and we thought he'd come home and snuck in. When my husband and I went to his room, though, there was this purplish goo...and a little man-thing covered in blood...and while our attention was on those things, we were webbed by a giant spider and.... Oh! I was bitten! Where is my dear* Altius?" A moment later she spies her dead husband at her side and breaks down into hysterical crying.

*Heh, had a funny typo here--originally typed "dead Altius." Got a little ahead of myself. :x

In the spirit of Dom's comment above, another venue in the near future will be a meeting with Turl and Korva Fushi. I was going to make the Turl roll using Lydia as that team's temporary handler; Kiri handles the Fushi sisters and could make that check. Or another player could make the checks if you don't trust my DM Dice.

EDITED because I realized I hadn't answered Dom's questions about places Gavin might go.


AC 17, touch 12, FF 15 | HP 17/18 | Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +2 | Per +6 | Int +2 Davina's Notes Aasimar Inspiration: 3/3 Panache 5/5 Investigator 1 (Infiltrator), Swashbuckler 1 (Inspired Blade) Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 13

"We'll we've been to all those places already." Davina give the woman a hug in comfort, and tries to lead her away from her husband's body. "I'm so sorry for your loss. I too know the loss of a husband. Is there a family member or cleric we can send for? You may not want to stay here. The house is a bit er messy." she looks over shoulder at Dom and glances at the chest as if to say grab the items out of that. Gavin owes us.


Male Half-orc Slayer 2/Fighter | HP 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 17 (T 12, FF 17) | F +7 R +7 W +2 | Init +2 | Darkvision, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5 | Active conditions:

Catching Ms Eradon's glance, Dom tries to be discreet about taking the contents of the chest, nodding in return to Davina, then to the doorway. Why don't you there-there the nice lady's attention in that direction...?


F Human Cleric 2 | HP 18/18 | AC 17, T 10, FF 13 | F+6, R+1, W+9 | Init +0 | Per +6 | Loot Sheet

"We have some friends at Songbird Hall, " Leora suggests. "We could take your husband there. " She talks to Mrs Brassvane and attempts to console her. She doesn't mention that Gavin is at Songbird Hall as well.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

-Posted with Wayfinder


AC 17, touch 12, FF 15 | HP 17/18 | Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +2 | Per +6 | Int +2 Davina's Notes Aasimar Inspiration: 3/3 Panache 5/5 Investigator 1 (Infiltrator), Swashbuckler 1 (Inspired Blade) Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 13

"Come along. Let's go to Songbird Hall. We'll send a cleric to your home as soon as we get there." Davina continues to try to lead the woman out of the room.


female strix aerokineticist 2 | HP 21/21 (N/L 2) Burn 1 | AC 16; FF 12; TAC 13 | F +6, Ref +6, Will -1 | Init +5 | Low-Light visions, Darkvision 60 ft, Per +5 (+7 in dim light/darkness)

As the others lead the distraught woman from the room Kiri remained behind until they had her out of sight.

GM:
Once the others were down the stairs the bird-woman looked at the body of Gavin's father and said, "I'm sorry, what happened to you was tragic. Maybe the cleric they send can return you to life." She looked to the chest and continued, "I'm taking the contents of that chest, they'll help us get to the bottom of things and deal with the one responsible." She went to the chest, opened it, and began to take out what was inside and stuff it in her pack. Once she was done with that she turned and faced the body as she said, "May the winds of the afterlife guide you to your roost." With that Kiri made her way downstairs to catch up with the others.


Male Half-orc Slayer 2/Fighter | HP 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 17 (T 12, FF 17) | F +7 R +7 W +2 | Init +2 | Darkvision, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5 | Active conditions:

My bad for not being explicit about it, but my intent was that after Davina led Gavin's mother out of the room, I'd have taken the contents of the chest (sorry for the ambiguity, I was working on like 2h sleep yesterday).


Lydia's Map | Roll20 Battlemap

Songbird Hall

The trip back to Songbird Hall is without incident. You're greeted there by the High Priest of Shelyn, Zachrin Vhast. He listens to your story, promises to heal Mrs. Brassvane's remaining wounds and treat the poison still running through her system. He also vows to have a team fetch her husband's body to clean it and prepare it for proper burial. He summons a couple of lesser priests to escort Beldonna to see her recuperating son.

Once Mrs. Brassvane's gone, Vhast gets down to business with your group. "Gavin's still unstable from the demon's bile; the same goes for Blackfeather. Hopefully they'll return to their old selves in another day or two. Gavin reports that the buzzing's gone from his head, so that's a good sign."

"Lydia led a small group including Dannin to the Tears of Aroden cemetery to deal with the insect swarm you mentioned and look for any other demon's bile colonies that might be there. With spring finally here we don't want to miss any demon's bile lest the city be overrun with giant vermin. Hmm, actually I'm a bit surprised they're not back by now."

Vhast orders another acolyte to bring some wine, cheese, and crackers for his guests and excuses himself briefly to check in on Mrs. Brassvane and Gavin.

During the break, Lydia, Dannin, and two other Shelynites walk in; Lydia's robe is a ridden with small holes and spots of dirt and blood.

"I got swarmed," the priestess reports tersely.

"Yeah, but your magic's what destroyed those pesky waterbugs!" Dannin chimes in with pride. Turning to address your group, he asks hopefully, "Find your friend yet?"

Lydia quietly adds, "We found something that may or may not be connected to all of this, but I'm going to wait until Zachrin's here before I tell you." A couple of minutes later High Priest Vhast rejoins your group and Lydia spills her guts.

"After dealing with the swarm of infected water striders, we checked the caretaker's shed, where he apparently lived. We found more demon's bile inside and, under a loose flagstone, jewelry and a small journal. The caretaker was apparently quite the creep; his sick fascination with those he buried didn't stop at a bit of grave-robbing, if you catch my drift. We made a quick stop at the Temple of Asmodeus to make an inquiry about the fellow and learned that he passed away late this past autumn, almost four months ago." She hands her superior a small burlap sack that clinks lightly when Zachrin takes it.

"You think this wicked gravedigger became a demon after judgment and somehow came back to his old stomping grounds?" the high priest asks Lydia. "Unlikely...but not entirely out of the realm of possibility. The undeniable truth, however, is that there IS a demon of some sort lurking hereabouts, else there wouldn't be swaths of demon's bile popping up. We need to find this demon and any other demon's bile as soon as possible.' He looks to you all before asking, "Will you help us in this matter?"


Lydia's Map | Roll20 Battlemap

Songbird Hall

I warned you guys about being afraid of DM Rolls.... I rolled the Gather Information check for Turl's Performers in the spoiler below, and it wasn't pretty. Would someone (Kiri?) please make the Gather Information check for the Fushi Sister? (If I'm doing it right, it's a Secrecy check with a +2 bonus, so 1d20+6+2. You'll be shooting for a slightly-higher-than-normal DC 17.)

Secret GM Roll:

Lydia/Turl Gather Info Check): 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 2 = 10


female strix aerokineticist 2 | HP 21/21 (N/L 2) Burn 1 | AC 16; FF 12; TAC 13 | F +6, Ref +6, Will -1 | Init +5 | Low-Light visions, Darkvision 60 ft, Per +5 (+7 in dim light/darkness)

Do I use my Diplomacy score to roll this gather info or the d20 + 6 + 2 that you listed above?


Lydia's Map | Roll20 Battlemap
Kiri Windfeather wrote:
Do I use my Diplomacy score to roll this gather info or the d20 + 6 + 2 that you listed above?

The 1d20+6+2. These Gather Info checks are actually Silver Ravens team checks, so they have different rules. If you fail the check...well, then maybe it's time for you all to hit the streets and make more traditional Gather Information checks to find Jessibel and/or the demon.


female strix aerokineticist 2 | HP 21/21 (N/L 2) Burn 1 | AC 16; FF 12; TAC 13 | F +6, Ref +6, Will -1 | Init +5 | Low-Light visions, Darkvision 60 ft, Per +5 (+7 in dim light/darkness)

I was hoping you'd say that, my diplo score is nearly non-existent.
Gather Info: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 2 = 14


AC 17, touch 12, FF 15 | HP 17/18 | Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +2 | Per +6 | Int +2 Davina's Notes Aasimar Inspiration: 3/3 Panache 5/5 Investigator 1 (Infiltrator), Swashbuckler 1 (Inspired Blade) Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 13

Davina puts down her tea with a thump. "Demons? Actual demons? This is just getting worse and worse. Cold Iron weapons for everyone. We need to go shopping. While where out and about we might as well ask around for Jess and any demonic activity in the area."


Male Half-orc Slayer 2/Fighter | HP 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 17 (T 12, FF 17) | F +7 R +7 W +2 | Init +2 | Darkvision, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5 | Active conditions:
Davina Eradon wrote:
"Cold Iron weapons for everyone. We need to go shopping."

At those words, realizing they're about to leave, Dom hacks a good-sized piece off the cheese, and stands up. "Sudarynya, would you like me to head to the War Cage, and see if Master Chulko has any weapons that fit our needs?" He looks around the room. "I'm seeing two rapiers, shortsword... Kiri, would you want something, just as a backup in case something gets too close? I'll need some money..."

I don't know, would I know by sight that T'chazzar's sword is cold iron, or has he said that out loud at any point?


Lydia's Map | Roll20 Battlemap

Songbird Hall (Temple Hill District)

"Perhaps Songbird Hall can finance such weapons for your continued service in this matter," Zachrin Vhast says with a thin smile as he hands the bag supposedly containing the grave-robber's hoard back to Lydia. "I know you probably expected me to try to search out the families whose loved ones these baubles were stolen from," he says to Lydia, "but that would require making inquiries and maybe a report to the Temple of Asmodeus, as they are in charge of all the local graveyards. Call me cynical, but I can't help but think that the items you recovered would somehow end up in the infernal church coffers. Let's instead look on this bounty as a boon from Shelyn. Sell the jewelry and use as much of the proceeds as is required to arm these good people with weapons of cold iron. Whatever's left, bring back here for future use."

Dom: Never really thought about it before, but I'd guess that cold iron would look a bit different than steel. I'm also assuming that T'chazzar would admit to having a cold iron weapon when you guys make your shopping list.

On to the War Cage? Take your time and do some info gathering about Jessibel and/or demonic activity en route? If so, pick a topic and a primary person to make the Diplomacy check and others can Aid Another if they'd like.


F Human Cleric 2 | HP 18/18 | AC 17, T 10, FF 13 | F+6, R+1, W+9 | Init +0 | Per +6 | Loot Sheet

Leora sips her wine while they wait for Lydia and Zacharin. "Wow, I didn't even think of searching around outside the warehouse! We were in such a hurry to get Gavin back here before he spread more demon bile, we only looked inside. Thanks Lydia and Dannin!"

"Sounds like a good deal to me!" Leora says when Zach explains his plan for the grave-robber's hoard.

.

Looking for Jessi & demons - I'm assuming we want to gather information since we don't know where to go next.
Since Jessi probably disguised herself, it's likely that she will be difficult to track down. So en route to the War Cage, Leora tries to learn more about where the demon might be lurking nearby, or any other places where demon bile might be lingering. After striking up a conversation with passers-by in the marketplaces and streets, she eventually will ask them "My friend got attacked by some water-striding bugs with this purple goop on them, and now my friend has a cold. Except his snot is purple. Have you ever heard of anything like that?"

diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Anyone want to aid? Or alter the question?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Drow Paladin (Gray Paladin, Tempered Champion) 2 | 12/16 HP | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +4 | Initiative +3 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +6 | Darkness 0/1 | Lay on Hands 2/4 | Smite Evil 1/1 | Active Conditions: 1 Dex damage

I actually own two cold iron shortswords, because I plan to go into two-weapon fighting next level. (Suboptimal, I know, but...)

"I'll try to help with getting more information," says T'chazzar, "Though of course people tend to... not trust me."

Diplomacy (aid): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

"Believe me, it's very strange," T'chazzar adds to Leora's comments. "Even I've never seen anything like it, in the Darklands or here. Very strange. I guess nobody knows what it is; we haven't found anyone who's heard of it..."

They say on the internet the fastest way to get the correct information about something is to loudly announce the wrong information. The second-fastest way is to assert that nobody knows the answer.


female strix aerokineticist 2 | HP 21/21 (N/L 2) Burn 1 | AC 16; FF 12; TAC 13 | F +6, Ref +6, Will -1 | Init +5 | Low-Light visions, Darkvision 60 ft, Per +5 (+7 in dim light/darkness)

Kiri considered Domitus' question about a back up weapon seriously for a moment, she looked at the dagger that she wore, and never used, and then back to Domitus thoughtfully. Cocking her head to one side she asked, "Do you think I need one? I probably couldn't hit with it anyway. I don't have the strength to hurt something like that. The winds provide a far better solution and are far more damaging than a physical weapon would ever be in my hands." Her head twitched in a funny way, one that could only be a shrug, "If you think I should then I'll take one, if nothing else we'll have a spare that way."


Male Half-orc Slayer 2/Fighter | HP 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 17 (T 12, FF 17) | F +7 R +7 W +2 | Init +2 | Darkvision, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5 | Active conditions:

Domitius considers Kiri's thoughts about a backup weapon, nodding as he does. "Better to have a knife and not need it than the other way around, no? I will get you a weapon, and if the gods favor us, you will never need it, instead blowing all your troubles away like dust in your wind. But if Chulko is in short supply of these and there are not enough for all, maybe then you do without, and stick to the wind." Dom's face shows his displeasure with the thought of that contingency; he's clearly not thrilled with the idea it might come to that. Hope is a fool's plan, a voice in the back of his head says.

Dom's focus will be on trying to catch Jessibel's trail.

Diplomacy (untrained): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

"No, you couldn't miss her, trust me. Girl like so high, dark hair. Voice that can reach the back rows easy. Dresses in black and red, not for... religious convictions... she and her friends just thought it 'looked cool'. Surely you've seen something?" Maybe I should stop by the Three-Legged Devil, see if anyone there knows anything, Dom thinks to himself.

Embarrassing Admission Time! Nowadays I don't know WTF 'cold iron' is as a term beyond what Wikipedia tells me, whatever. But when I first came across the term in 1E/AD&D times, I was young and stupid, and literally thought it meant like taking a sword and putting it in the freezer, and voila, cold iron. In my defense, I was like, ten at the time. :)


AC 17, touch 12, FF 15 | HP 17/18 | Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +2 | Per +6 | Int +2 Davina's Notes Aasimar Inspiration: 3/3 Panache 5/5 Investigator 1 (Infiltrator), Swashbuckler 1 (Inspired Blade) Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 13

Davina decides to assist Dom in searching for Jess. "She likes to entertain. Telling stories and the like. Really pretty." Davina describes on the way to the War Cage. "Maybe some bolts and arrows of cold iron as well. What do you think Dom?

Diplomacy Aid: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

T'chazzar I usually buy a cold iron, and a silver weapon first thing. Then I have almost everything covered low level. I tend to carry lots of weapons on my character.


Male Half-orc Slayer 2/Fighter | HP 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 17 (T 12, FF 17) | F +7 R +7 W +2 | Init +2 | Darkvision, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5 | Active conditions:
Davina Eradon wrote:
"Maybe some bolts and arrows of cold iron as well. What do you think Dom?

Dom frowns in concentration. "A good idea, as ever sudarynya, assuming Master Chulko has any for sale." Think, Dom, does the War Cage even sell archery supplies? "Honestly, I'm a bit concerned that we might overtax whatever supply he's got at hand. I hope he's got enough to get us all equipped with something..." As Dom trails off, his jaw sets grimly into what passes for his worried face.

Davina, it occurred to me earlier this week that your wish for a sword cane/parasol doesn't jibe with your class features. Inspired Blades get Weapon Finesse/Focus specifically with the rapier only. :-\


Male Half-orc Slayer 2/Fighter | HP 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 17 (T 12, FF 17) | F +7 R +7 W +2 | Init +2 | Darkvision, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5 | Active conditions:

A thought suddenly strikes Domitius as the group is walking. "Leora, if it turns out the Firefly Man is not literally a man, but a demon, what does that do to our bet? No change, right?"


F Human Cleric 2 | HP 18/18 | AC 17, T 10, FF 13 | F+6, R+1, W+9 | Init +0 | Per +6 | Loot Sheet

"Firefly man, firefly demon, same difference, " Leora says to Dom. "I know he's got nothing to do with this, so the bet's still on! "

"I could use a cold iron rapier, and if Chulko has some bolts for my crossbow, I'll take those too. "

-Posted with Wayfinder


Lydia's Map | Roll20 Battlemap

Here, There, and Everywhere in Kintargo!

I wanted to get as much into this post as possible to give you guys something to do over the rest of the weekend, so there's a couple of If/Then spoilers included that you'd read only if you took the action described in the spoiler tag. Have a nice rest-of-the-weekend; I'll be back some time Monday afternoon to post my next update.

The party splits into two trios to cover more territory in their reconnaissance for any sign of either Jessibel or demons/demon’s bile. While Leora, T’chazzar, and Lydia concentrate on the demon and any demon’s bile infestations it may have left in its wake, Domitius, Davina, and Kiri seek more info on the strix’s missing Apprentice.

For the first group, their inquiries bring nothing but confused looks from folks they question. In a way, though, no news is good news; it seems that no demon’s bile has spread (yet) into the western districts of the city.

Dom’s group doesn’t have much more success. A few people recognize the description of Jessibel—especially taverns and eateries—saying that the teen and some of her young friends (likely from the Opera House Society) occasionally stop in to eat, drink, and work on whatever Opera House Society folks work on in some dark corner. None recall seeing her in the past couple of days, though. When the trio visits the Three-Legged Devil, its owner, a middle aged human named Giveni Henge, says he hasn’t seen Jessi in his place since the night she quit. He’s quite upset to hear she’s missing and he asks for details, such as where and when she was last seen.

If You Provide Giveni With This Information….:

Giveni claims to have a streetwise regular who hails from Redroof. He promises to have this fellow ask around about the missing bard. He asks where he can tell his source to meet up with you should he find anything and gives this rather cryptic description of his associate: “He’s similar to Lady Jessibel in that black is his color….”

When the two threesomes regroup at the War Cage, they find it has all the cold iron weapons you could ask for…except for ammunition like arrows and crossbow bolts. Chuko, the tengu proprietor of the War Cage, claims that he can get those in a few hours, though, from an associate in the Newt Market in Villegre. He even offers to have a tengu associate deliver them, if that’s acceptable to the party.

*****************************

That night at the Silver Stein Inn….

Turl the dwarf and all the Fushi sisters arrive before the doors close to report their findings…or lack thereof. Jessibel skulking around in her prestidigitized brown armor indeed makes her less eye-catching than if she were wearing her outlandish red-and-black outfit undisguised. After a bit of discussion, Turl and the Fushis both agree that the lack of sightings could also mean that Jessibel didn’t travel very far into Redroof from the spot she was last seen before vanishing.

If any cold-iron-tipped ammunition was ordered from the War Cage:

A tengu named Skarrett makes the delivery about an hour before curfew.

If Dom’s group accepted Giveni’s offer of help….:

Right before curfew, a tall figure clad in black and mostly-hidden by the folds of a hooded cloak of the same color enters, gets a room for the evening, and then approaches your table. When he throws back his hood, you have no doubt this is the associate Giveni Henge mentioned: his long hair is inky black, as are the curling devil horns curling back from the front of his cranium. ”My name is Baelgar, and I know your missing friend from her performances at the Three-Legged Devil,” he says with a creepy, leering smile. ”I have friends in the Devil’s Nursery whose eyes and ears I could recruit for the hunt…but I will expect something in return. A lot of my people fear going into the streets these days because of the murders of my kind—tieflings—on the city streets. The dottari will do nothing to help. What about you? Make the streets safe and my people will reward you by searching every crevice of Redroof to find your friend. Will you do this…or are pretty little noblewomen from the Greens the only people of Kintargo you truly care about?”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC 17, touch 12, FF 15 | HP 17/18 | Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +2 | Per +6 | Int +2 Davina's Notes Aasimar Inspiration: 3/3 Panache 5/5 Investigator 1 (Infiltrator), Swashbuckler 1 (Inspired Blade) Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 13

Davina looks in amazement at the Three-Legged Devil. "Three legged? What's the third leg? Are they talking about a stool?" she asks Dom, but she can't keep a straight face for more than a second, and busts out laughing while giving Giveni a wave as she takes a seat. "Giveni she was on her way to the Redroof district when she went missing. We can't find any trace of her."

Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


Male Half-orc Slayer 2/Fighter | HP 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 17 (T 12, FF 17) | F +7 R +7 W +2 | Init +2 | Darkvision, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5 | Active conditions:

In the heat of working on a case, and trying to track down their missing friend, it doesn't occur to Dom how awkward this could be until the three of them are almost in the door of the Three-Legged Devil. Once inside, however, it weighs on Dom like a bulette is sitting on his neck. A bulette made of pure awkwardness.

Davina wrote:
"Three legged? What's the third leg? Are they talking about a stool?"

Domitius mumbles something noncommittal and continues to try and will himself to spontaneously combust. Even after Davina laughs it all off, Dom is more embarrassed than he ever was any of the times he was here with Jess and Sabrina.

Later, at the Silver Stein, Dom listens to this Baelgar's proposal, and looks around the table at his comrades, trying to judge their willingness to go along. Hell, we were gonna try looking into this anyway, back before everything went crazy. Well, crazier.

If Dom gets the feeling we're all game:
He looks Baelgar in the eye and says, "We've all seen what happens when Kintargo only works for some. My name is Domitius, and I think we can probably help each other out, Baelgar. Have a seat, and tell us what you can."


AC 17, touch 12, FF 15 | HP 17/18 | Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +2 | Per +6 | Int +2 Davina's Notes Aasimar Inspiration: 3/3 Panache 5/5 Investigator 1 (Infiltrator), Swashbuckler 1 (Inspired Blade) Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 13

Davina notices Dom's discomfort. She smiles and pats his arm. "I spent my share of time in places like this in my younger days. Those stories make for some of my best plots."

She listens to Baelgar, and nods her head in agreement with the proposal. "If you help us, we're willing to help you. Tell us more about what's been happening in the Devil's Nursery Baelgar. I can understand why the dottari aren't investigating these days. We'll do what we can to find the culprit."


female strix aerokineticist 2 | HP 21/21 (N/L 2) Burn 1 | AC 16; FF 12; TAC 13 | F +6, Ref +6, Will -1 | Init +5 | Low-Light visions, Darkvision 60 ft, Per +5 (+7 in dim light/darkness)

Kiri didn't really get the joke Davina was making, most likely it just didn't translate well into the strix mentality. She simply kept quiet and kept watch as any half-way intelligent strix would. She heard Davina tell the proprietor about the apprentice and, though she wasn't sure she trusted the man, Kiri was willing to allow it.

When they made it back to the War Cage Kiri took the dagger of cold iron and replaced the one that she already carried with it. She didn't expect to ever use it but she agreed that it didn't hurt to be prepared, even if she wouldn't admit it to Domitus.

Later still they met with Baelgar at the Silver Stein. Kiri didn't like the man from the very beginning, and not because he was a tiefling, her best friend is a tiefling, but because of the way he spoke about her Apprentice. Looking at the man the strix woman threw back her own hood and said coldly, "Do you think the fact that you're a tiefling is a problem? They work with one for my kind and Chelaxian's hate us more than they do yours." She drew herself up to her full, albeit short, height, "Besides, I grew up in the Nursery and my best friend lives there still. I'll help for that alone." Judging by the winds gusting around her Kiri was rather ticked at the man's insinuation.


Lydia's Map | Roll20 Battlemap

The Silver Stein Tavern (Redroof District)

Baelgar leers a bit at Kiri as she stands up to him and points out that her people are likely hated even more than tieflings in the city, but instead of saying something nasty he simply nods, perhaps conceding the point. He accepts Domitius’s offer and takes a seat at the table, his grin growing as he takes in T’chazzar’s heritage as well. “Not the usual mostly-human cliques one usually finds in this city,” he comments before getting down to business.

”Every few nights, starting shortly after the Night of Ashes and the disappearance of our leader, Strea Vestori, a tiefling has been attacked and murdered in our slums, known to most in the city as the Devil’s Nursery. Each victim’s face was destroyed in the attack, sometimes making identification of the body difficult, and there were often signs of tiny bite marks and areas of gouged flesh on the bodies. Two or three weeks back, a human named Lucius was attacked but survived…although no one in these parts has seen him since. We’d hoped that since the killer or killers had targeted a human instead of a tiefling, the dottari might finally take an interest…but no. There were even rumors that a group of rebels might step up to help, but that never materialized either. Now, most of the inhabitants of the Devil’s Nursery huddle inside their squalid huts at night, hiding from what lurks in the night. Still, there are those who will pay good money for secret work done after curfew, and with our ability to see in darkness, my people are often offered these jobs. Those who take these jobs sometimes don’t live long enough to enjoy their rewards.”


female strix aerokineticist 2 | HP 21/21 (N/L 2) Burn 1 | AC 16; FF 12; TAC 13 | F +6, Ref +6, Will -1 | Init +5 | Low-Light visions, Darkvision 60 ft, Per +5 (+7 in dim light/darkness)

The mention of Strea Vestori caught Kiri's attention and drew more reaction than she generally gave to anyone. She didn't gasp, per se, but the air around them did. She looked at Baelgar intently and asked, "Strea's been missing since the Night of Ashes? I didn't know that." As the man continued to speak Kiri listened intently as he expressed surprise that a human being attacked didn't bring the Dottari into it Kiri had to admit to the oddity of it, though she felt obligated to point out, "It's probably better they didn't get involved, they'd have stopped at the tiefling population and might have slaughtered you all with the way thing have been going." She considered the attacks and asked, "Do you know where these attacks have taken place? Were they in the same area or different ones? Was there anything in common between the locations?"


Male Drow Paladin (Gray Paladin, Tempered Champion) 2 | 12/16 HP | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +4 | Initiative +3 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +6 | Darkness 0/1 | Lay on Hands 2/4 | Smite Evil 1/1 | Active Conditions: 1 Dex damage

T'chazzar simply absorbs the information impassively. Doubtless he's had the conversation about outcasts and renegades many times before and he doesn't bother going down that road again.


AC 17, touch 12, FF 15 | HP 17/18 | Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +2 | Per +6 | Int +2 Davina's Notes Aasimar Inspiration: 3/3 Panache 5/5 Investigator 1 (Infiltrator), Swashbuckler 1 (Inspired Blade) Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 13

"Lucius was a friend of ours. He's been missing for a long while. Have all the attacks all happened at night? How many have been killed?" Davina asks. Since Lucius was attacked by this same group her interest has raised considerably.


Lydia's Map | Roll20 Battlemap

Silver Stein Tavern (Redroof District)

Baelgar sips an ale a bit before answering Kiri and Davina's inquiries. "As far as I know, there have been seven murders, all at night, all in a section of the Devil's Nursery. There seems to be nothing in common between the victims and the areas they were attacked...only that they ventured onto the streets after curfew. Perhaps the rumor that Barzillai Thrune has imported some of Westcrown's shadow beasts to enforce his blasted curfew is true."

If anyone should bring out the map Lydia made, Baelgar would circle an area with a sharp claw nail: an area consisting of R7 and approximately one-third of the distance from that point west toward R6 and east toward R5.


AC 17, touch 12, FF 15 | HP 17/18 | Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +2 | Per +6 | Int +2 Davina's Notes Aasimar Inspiration: 3/3 Panache 5/5 Investigator 1 (Infiltrator), Swashbuckler 1 (Inspired Blade) Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 13

Davina looks to Leora. "You have that map correct?" Assuming she pulls it out. Davina lays it on the table.

"Why would Thrune turn loose shadow beasts just in the Devil's Nursery? You would think that he'd turn them loose in other parts of town."


Male Drow Paladin (Gray Paladin, Tempered Champion) 2 | 12/16 HP | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +4 | Initiative +3 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +6 | Darkness 0/1 | Lay on Hands 2/4 | Smite Evil 1/1 | Active Conditions: 1 Dex damage

T'chazzar leans over the map, arms folded, and his eyes flicker across it. Then he says, "Fear, of course. Even if he hasn't imported shadow beasts, the rumor itself creates fear, which creates compliance." He straightens up and uncrosses his arms and puts his hands on his hips. "The bodies have all been found? Any clues about whether they died from claws, weapons, or fright?"


Male Half-orc Slayer 2/Fighter | HP 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 17 (T 12, FF 17) | F +7 R +7 W +2 | Init +2 | Darkvision, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5 | Active conditions:

"Nyet, not shadow beasts."

Domitius speaks while his face is scrunched up, eyes closed and pinching the bridge of his nose as he tries to concentrate. Ever since that fateful day at the park, he kept finding himself in situations he had to think his way through. I don't know sudarynya keeps all those facts straight in her head. The Fushi sisters brought Lucius back to the Nest, he was brutalized. What was it Jessibel said...?

"Jessibel mentioned some kind of creatures. Almost sounded like our little vomiting friends, but with a much more sinister bent to them. Gods, what did she call them...?"


Lydia's Map | Roll20 Battlemap

Silver Stein Tavern

Baelgar shrugs at T'chazzar's questions. "A combination of small bites and massive trauma to the face. I hear that some of the corpses were unrecognizable. The corpses were cremated immediately to ensure the deceased didn't return as undead to seek their vengeance on the living."


AC 17, touch 12, FF 15 | HP 17/18 | Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +2 | Per +6 | Int +2 Davina's Notes Aasimar Inspiration: 3/3 Panache 5/5 Investigator 1 (Infiltrator), Swashbuckler 1 (Inspired Blade) Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 13

Sitting back in sudden recognition to Dom's comment, she snaps her fingers. "Tooth Fairies. She called them Tooth Fairies. They are fey. Good thing we have our cold iron weapons. Poor Lucius was missing teeth, and bitten all over his head and neck. It was nasty."


Male Drow Paladin (Gray Paladin, Tempered Champion) 2 | 12/16 HP | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +4 | Initiative +3 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +6 | Darkness 0/1 | Lay on Hands 2/4 | Smite Evil 1/1 | Active Conditions: 1 Dex damage

T'chazzar nods. "Makes sense. I'm guessing they travel in small swarms? We should put a stop to that."


Lydia's Map | Roll20 Battlemap

Silver Stein Tavern (Redroof District)

Baelgar seems surprised and maybe even a bit impressed that so many of your party seem to have little hesitation in helping him and the tieflings of the Devil's Nursery. He gives another of his somewhat creepy smiles.

"I don't suppose you want to travel to the Devil's Nursery tonight, do you? It's quite a walk, especially if we're to avoid the dottari and Queensmen patrols...although we might be able to travel through the sewers. It would probably be easiest, however, for me to obtain a place for you to stay in the Nursery tomorrow until nightfall and then you can do your sleuthing at night."


Male Drow Paladin (Gray Paladin, Tempered Champion) 2 | 12/16 HP | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +4 | Initiative +3 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +6 | Darkness 0/1 | Lay on Hands 2/4 | Smite Evil 1/1 | Active Conditions: 1 Dex damage

"I've no objection. I do some of my best work at night."


Male Half-orc Slayer 2/Fighter | HP 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 17 (T 12, FF 17) | F +7 R +7 W +2 | Init +2 | Darkvision, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5 | Active conditions:

"It's probably best to keep off the streets tonight. We rush off, and... well, good things rarely come of that," Dom says sheepishly. After a brief moment, he refocuses on Baelgar. "Is there someplace we could meet before sundown tomorrow? That way we have the better part of tomorrow to make any last-minute preparations."


F Human Cleric 2 | HP 18/18 | AC 17, T 10, FF 13 | F+6, R+1, W+9 | Init +0 | Per +6 | Loot Sheet

"Tomorrow night sounds good to me, " Leora agrees. "Are there any other weapons or supplies we need before then? "

I've been following along, it sounds good to me, I don't have any questions that haven't been asked.

-Posted with Wayfinder


AC 17, touch 12, FF 15 | HP 17/18 | Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +2 | Per +6 | Int +2 Davina's Notes Aasimar Inspiration: 3/3 Panache 5/5 Investigator 1 (Infiltrator), Swashbuckler 1 (Inspired Blade) Base Atk +1; CMB +3; CMD 13

"Tomorrow sounds like a good plan. Let's plan for that. Is there a place out side the Devil's Nursery we can meet you?"


Male Half-orc Slayer 2/Fighter | HP 20/20 (0 NL) | AC 17 (T 12, FF 17) | F +7 R +7 W +2 | Init +2 | Darkvision, Perception +5, Sense Motive +5 | Active conditions:
Leora Scileana wrote:
"Are there any other weapons or supplies we need before then? "

The question nags at Domitius. At some point after Baelgar leaves, he turns to Davina. "Sudarynya, what do we know about these creatures? What must we do to prepare, beyond the steps we've already taken with the good Master Chulko?" He tries to keep his tone light, but there's an edge of worry to his voice.


Male Drow Paladin (Gray Paladin, Tempered Champion) 2 | 12/16 HP | AC 19 T 13 FF 16 | Fort +3 Ref +3 Will +4 | Initiative +3 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +6 | Darkness 0/1 | Lay on Hands 2/4 | Smite Evil 1/1 | Active Conditions: 1 Dex damage

"Alchemical fire, perhaps? How big are they? Will this be small groups of flying faeries, or do they swarm like angry mosquitos?"

501 to 550 of 560 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Madness in Kintargo (GM Silversong) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.