Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Lucendar's Survival PbP - Welcome to the Slaughter!

Game Master Lucendar


801 to 850 of 885 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>

Quain follows the tracks east, toward the mountains. There was no effort to conceal the tracks. There is a gravelly road so the party can follow on the wagon, but Quain is on foot, so you travel at his speed. About 2 hours later, the tracks leave the road and head downhill toward more difficult terrain, where the wagon and horses cannot follow.

Zarael speaks, "I can stay with the wagon and give you my defensive buffs (i.e. mage armor) or I can accompany you and use them on myself. Let me know your choice." He only has 1 memorized at the moment.


Male Human(Ulfen) Barbarian/2 Per:+6 Init:+3 HP19/26(30/30) AC: 20/12/18 F:+7(+9) R:+4(+6) W:+2(+4)

"Cast your protections and stay with the wagon Mage," speaking once again with scorn, "you would only be a distraction in combat hugging someones knees and crying."

There are two spells Menas would be interested in but they are both significantly higher level than would make sense at this stage, Greater Magic Weapon and Overland Flight would both be very useful but are 4th and 5th level spells so doubtful that even if he could cast them he would.

Andoran

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 3): HP 17/26 AC: 16/12/17 F: +4 R: +3 W: +1, Per: +3 Init:+2)

Your magic armor spell would be most beneficial to our monk. Justified responds,looking unhappily at the barbarian. Thank you for the offer.

I would be very happy with Protection Arrows at the moment...


Male Oread Ranger 2 HP 9/23 AC: 16 F: +4 R: +5 W: +2 Per: +7 Init:+4

Quain rolls his eyes at Menas open hostility: "I agree, let's move on and catch the bandits."


Wizard 3 | HP: 11/17 | AC 16 | 12 | 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +3 | Ref +3 | Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +2 | Sense Motive +0

With a look of mild amusement, Kwin says "It sounds like we are decided, then. Zarael, please do stay with the wagon. The rest of us will move on and deal with the bandits. We will return as soon as we are able."

Andoran

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 3): HP 17/26 AC: 16/12/17 F: +4 R: +3 W: +1, Per: +3 Init:+2)

Hat is on a business trip, but I suspect will be fine with the plan of him getting Mage Armor, and us moving on towards the bandit camp.

Justified adds to the developing plan. I never was the most quiet of warriors, and in this armor I am afraid I will be somewhat loud. I will take the rear guard. Just tell me how far back you want me and I will do my best to not step on every twig we come across.


Human Monk 2 Male HP 20/20 AC: 17/17/14 F: +5 R: +5 W: +7 Per: +9 Init:+2

Bald monk eyes first the wagon, and then the elf suspiciously for a few moments. His gaze then switches to the tall, black haired Shoanti warrior, ending on bewildered face of little Kwin. Finally he breaks the silence: "I tend to agree with my...colleagues here. Cast your spells on us in the way you deem as most beneficial mage, and wait for us here. We will return shortly."

Devoid of any facial expression, he turns back to Justified: "You do raise a valid concern. However, I do not feel I am the most knowledgable person on that subject. From what we have seen previously, it would seem that halfling here is the one to provide expertise on that specific subject."


Zarael casts Mage Armor on Haterivet and wishes the party luck. You follow the tracks for 2 more hours off road, as twilight begins to set in. You follow carefully on the rocky terrain and dried mud, before hearing noises and seeking cover among a copse of dead trees. What you see is an odd circle of stone rocks/boulders about 2' high, wherein lie bound a human male, female, and child. Around the circle are four bestial savage humanoids, with green-gray skin and greasy black hair, easily recognizable as orcs! They stab at the bound humans with the flat of their falchions, as they laugh and point to the two fire pits that flank the circle of stone. Occasionally, one of the orcs pulls some horse flesh roasting in the fire pit and eats it in front of the humans, causing them to cry and scream, with no hope in sight, only inciting the orcs to more laughter and enjoyment of their game. You see two other orcs standing at the entrance to a cave, presumably on guard duty, not participating in the game, armed with longbows. The cave tunnel turns so you cannot see further in. You are about 110' from the nearest orc.

Map

What do you do?


Wizard 3 | HP: 11/17 | AC 16 | 12 | 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +3 | Ref +3 | Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +2 | Sense Motive +0

Kwin shakes his head in disgust at the gruesome display. Really? he thinks. That's what passes for entertainment out here? I'm surprised these orcs haven't killed themselves and saved us the trouble.

In a whisper to the others, he asks Do you want me to go down the canyon and see if I can sneak along the wall there?, indicating the wall to the left of the cave mouth. I'm not sure how close I could get, but I might be able to engage the archers quickly.


Human Monk 2 Male HP 20/20 AC: 17/17/14 F: +5 R: +5 W: +7 Per: +9 Init:+2

Gazing through the trees, Haterivet surveys the scene briefly. hearing Kwin's suggestion he turns to him and whispers in a low, even voice: "I agree Kwin, maybe even if the ranger or Menas try to sneak out towards right side?"

He casts an inquisitive look towards Menas and Quain, before returning his attention to the scene in front of him. He tries to controls his feelings, in order to study the situation in detail, trying to find his advantage, or foresee any potential traps.

Perception Take 20, while Kwin (and maybe someone else, sneaks away

How large is the entrance to the cave - for medium sized creatures or larger? Could it be collapsed maybe? Are there any signs of dug up, concealed holes on our way in? Some signs of (semi-domesticated) animal presence?

Andoran

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 3): HP 17/26 AC: 16/12/17 F: +4 R: +3 W: +1, Per: +3 Init:+2)

As quietly as he can manage, while still being heard by Kwin, he mouths Go quickly. Be careful. And just before Kwin departs Justified lays a hand on the halfling's arm and adds. And be deadly.

After an initial view to get the lay of the land and positions of the prisoners and combatants, Justified stands in cover, listening to, but not watching the Orcs. He works to stay calm, knowing that with every scream of the humans there is a chance he will run towards the orcs.


Male Human(Ulfen) Barbarian/2 Per:+6 Init:+3 HP19/26(30/30) AC: 20/12/18 F:+7(+9) R:+4(+6) W:+2(+4)

Whispered under his breath, "Would you like me to sneak up on the archers or to cause a distraction?" Suffling his gear and dropping his heavy pack and rope Menas makes ready to move.

Andoran

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 3): HP 17/26 AC: 16/12/17 F: +4 R: +3 W: +1, Per: +3 Init:+2)

If you can sneak up on the archers I will do the frontal assault backed up by Quin.

Not sure who is better to sneak with Kwin - you are Hat.


Male Oread Ranger 2 HP 9/23 AC: 16 F: +4 R: +5 W: +2 Per: +7 Init:+4

Quain mutters in answer: "If I remember well, I spotted 6 or 7 sets of tracks. That means there may be at least one more Ork in the cave. Maybe the leader plus some females. They are also well organized with sentries and weapons. If you want to sneak, let me ready my bow. I may be able to take down one of them from here if they seem to notice you."


Human Monk 2 Male HP 20/20 AC: 17/17/14 F: +5 R: +5 W: +7 Per: +9 Init:+2

Still not taking his eyes of the orcs, Haterivet responds to Menas briefly and in a very low voice: "It seems that the fire on the right is much closer to the wall near the cave mouth. That would mean higher chance of them detecting you. Aside from those spears, I do not see you wielding any real ranged weapon, meaning you will probaly not be able to sneak up close enough to use the spears most effectivelly. So - yes, if you ask me, definitelly a distraction, in order to buy Justified, Quain and me enough time to rush them."

Actually, we do not really need a distraction, but it seems that it is important to most of my colleagues that prisoners remain alive. And in that case, prisoners need a distruction"

He continues his overwatch of the terrain, trying to discern all possibilities.


Wizard 3 | HP: 11/17 | AC 16 | 12 | 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +3 | Ref +3 | Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +2 | Sense Motive +0

It will take me a couple of minutes.

Kwin moves back the way they came, circles wide until he come to the cliff face (to the left of the cave entrance as the characters look at it) and then creeps along the stone wall, deviating only if there are outcroppings that provide better cover as he approaches.

Stealth 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20

Hmmm. Not a great roll. Perhaps you all will get your distraction after all!


Please remember that for stealth, you need cover and/or concealment. As evident from the map, there is no cover other than the copse of trees you see.


Male Human(Ulfen) Barbarian/2 Per:+6 Init:+3 HP19/26(30/30) AC: 20/12/18 F:+7(+9) R:+4(+6) W:+2(+4)

"Its probably best if i'm near the front, let me get into position the knock out an archer then Kwin can drop the other. After that when the others turn you can hammer them to my anvil." Menas flashes a grin while strapping on his shield and looseming his gladius. "Or we could hit them from here..." Hefting his javlins as everyone decides...


Wizard 3 | HP: 11/17 | AC 16 | 12 | 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +3 | Ref +3 | Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +2 | Sense Motive +0

How far off the map from E-18 would Kwin have to be to have any sort of cover?


Male Human(Ulfen) Barbarian/2 Per:+6 Init:+3 HP19/26(30/30) AC: 20/12/18 F:+7(+9) R:+4(+6) W:+2(+4)

"This isn't going to work, lets just get them... Menas readies his shield then hefts a javlin. "One, Two, THREE!"

move to AI5 and throw a javlin at the H4 archer, attack roll with range penalties 1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 4 - 2 = 19
damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

The, "1, 2, 3!" was for everyone to get ready, so before the attack roll takes place everyone should decide what the are going to do.


Haterivet wrote:
How large is the entrance to the cave - for medium sized creatures or larger? Could it be collapsed maybe? Are there any signs of dug up, concealed holes on our way in? Some signs of (semi-domesticated) animal presence?

Cave entrance is about 10' high. It could be collapsed with high level magic or hours of pickaxe. No concealed holes or animals that you can see. Heck, if they're eating horse flesh, it seems pets wouldn't last long.


Menas Kriger wrote:
move to AI5 and throw a javlin at the H4 archer, attack roll with range penalties.

Menas, you start off where I put you on the map. If you mean you move to AA15, that's 80' of movement from your current position, so you either run for 1 round or double move for 1.5 rounds. If that's the case, we first resolve your movement to see if you're spotted before any attack rolls.

Andoran

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 3): HP 17/26 AC: 16/12/17 F: +4 R: +3 W: +1, Per: +3 Init:+2)

Justified moves up a to AO0 as Menas begins to count. He then follows the barbarian out, running or double moving based on what Menas does. I hope we can close some before we are spotted.


Male Oread Ranger 2 HP 9/23 AC: 16 F: +4 R: +5 W: +2 Per: +7 Init:+4
DM_Slaughter wrote:
Menas Kriger wrote:
move to AI5 and throw a javlin at the H4 archer, attack roll with range penalties.
Menas, you start off where I put you on the map. If you mean you move to AA15, that's 80' of movement from your current position, so you either run for 1 round or double move for 1.5 rounds. If that's the case, we first resolve your movement to see if you're spotted before any attack rolls.

Lucendar, Menas wrote he was moving to AI5 and not AA5


Ah, okay. Thanks Quain. That's Menas' action, what is everyone else doing?


Male Oread Ranger 2 HP 9/23 AC: 16 F: +4 R: +5 W: +2 Per: +7 Init:+4

Do I have line of fire on the second Orc archer? The prisonners are in the way, but they are lying on a low stone.


The prisoners are sitting on the ground. Yes, you have line of sight to the second archer if you move from behind the trees, but he does have soft cover.


Male Oread Ranger 2 HP 9/23 AC: 16 F: +4 R: +5 W: +2 Per: +7 Init:+4

Startled by Menas move, Quain moves to (AL,-6) loading an arrow into his bow. As he rounds the trees, he fires at Menas target if it is still standing and at the Orc in R9 if not.

Bow Attack 1d20 + 5 - 2 ⇒ (10) + 5 - 2 = 13 damage 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


Wizard 3 | HP: 11/17 | AC 16 | 12 | 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +3 | Ref +3 | Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +2 | Sense Motive +0

Double move to AK-7, drawing his magical dagger as he goes.


Human Monk 2 Male HP 20/20 AC: 17/17/14 F: +5 R: +5 W: +7 Per: +9 Init:+2

Cursing the impetuous barbarian under his breath "This man shall be the death of us all...", Haterivet grasps his double weapon stronger, and springs from his hiding place. Clearing the trees, he jogs towards closest orc in a straight line, across the painfully open terrain.

No sneaking, no scouting, no patience....hell we could have waited them all to go to sleep, before attacking. I know, probably some of the prisoners would be dead 'til then, but they're dead anyway. And how hard would it be for Kwin and me to slit some sleeping orc throats!? But no, we have to do it, the "interesting way"...

Mumbling all the way, Haterivet double-moves to AE -3 (or AC -3, not sure if my first two squares are difficult terrain or not)


Summary of Surprise Round:
Menas moves up and throws javelin (range 30') at archer in H4 (135' away), so the range penalty is -8, not -2 and hits him but does not penetrate his hide armor.
Same result with Quain's bow shot.
The rest of the party moves up.
Orcs growl, as they realize they are under attack!

Initiative:
Haterivet: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Justified: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Kwin: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Menas: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Quain: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Orcs: 1d20 ⇒ 15
Orcs archers: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Initiative Order Round 1:
Justified
Orc archers
Orcs
Menas
Quain
Kwin
Haterivet

Justified, I don't see any equipment on your sheet. Or how you calculate 20 AC or 30 speed. Please advise/amend before you post your action for Round 1.


Male Human(Ulfen) Barbarian/2 Per:+6 Init:+3 HP19/26(30/30) AC: 20/12/18 F:+7(+9) R:+4(+6) W:+2(+4)

I am using amentum with my javlins which makes them martial weapons but increases the range to 50ft, i thought they were within 100ft of me but i'm on my phone so its hard to count squares when they are small.


Okay, with a -4 penalty, the javelin hits but the archer is still up.


Male Human(Ulfen) Barbarian/2 Per:+6 Init:+3 HP19/26(30/30) AC: 20/12/18 F:+7(+9) R:+4(+6) W:+2(+4)

Laughing as the javlins sails through the air Menas slams his cestus into his shield, "Come on and die!"

Andoran

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 3): HP 17/26 AC: 16/12/17 F: +4 R: +3 W: +1, Per: +3 Init:+2)

Justified advances with a double move directly towards the closest Orc, holding his pole are ready in both hands. He will yell a taunt at them hoping some will charge him.

Come to me1 Come to your end, murdering bandits!


Justified, did you not read my post??? I don't see your equipment anywhere on your profile.

Cheliax

DM_Slaughter wrote:
Justified, did you not read my post??? I don't see your equipment anywhere on your profile.

I guess I did not see your note. I had posted from my phone right before getting in the car for a 7 hour drive. I did not want to hold up the game so posted (too?) quickly.


Okay, Justified, I have your armor at 18 (+6 armor, +2 Dex); a glaive is a 2-handed weapon, can't wield it with a heavy shield.

Menas screams and Justified moves up, alerting the orcs to an attack. Two of the orcs move to the merchant and his family and grab them, using them as human shields from any more ranged weapons! The archer hurt by Menas, shoots him, with his composite longbow but the arrow bounces off his armor. The second archer shoots Justified, screaming "Die, human scum! I will add your skull to my collection!" The arrow penetrates deeply into Justified's ribcage, causing a grievous wound.

Menas attack: 1d20 + 3 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 3 - 2 + 2 = 13
Justified attack: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 3 + 2 = 20
Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 2 = 9

The two last orcs move up, drawing their falchions and stand shoulder to shoulder, forming some type of defensive wall.

Updated Combat Map

Party is up!


Male Human(Ulfen) Barbarian/2 Per:+6 Init:+3 HP19/26(30/30) AC: 20/12/18 F:+7(+9) R:+4(+6) W:+2(+4)

Justified is a lot further forward than i though he would be, so i'm going to change my plans.

Knowledge local, have i heard of these orcs before, do they have a favourite tactic or have i got any idea about tgeir class levels? 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Reaching for another javlin through reflex Menas see's the arrow slam into Justified, disregarding the archer he rushes to Justified side and holds his shield ready to ward off attacks from them both.

Double move to W8. Will be using shield bearer trait if its worth it.


Male Oread Ranger 2 HP 9/23 AC: 16 F: +4 R: +5 W: +2 Per: +7 Init:+4

Quain moves forwards to AF0, focusing on the wounded archer and draws one more arrows from his quiver.

single arrow attack 1d20 + 5 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 5 - 2 = 16 on the orc in L3


Male Human(Ulfen) Barbarian/2 Per:+6 Init:+3 HP19/26(30/30) AC: 20/12/18 F:+7(+9) R:+4(+6) W:+2(+4)

Its to late to edit my action but i have use shield bearer on my turn, so i have to activate it before the orcs go. I will use my 1/day ability to protect justified and increase his AC by 2 for one turn.

Andoran

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 3): HP 17/26 AC: 16/12/17 F: +4 R: +3 W: +1, Per: +3 Init:+2)

Is it possible to look into the cave and see anything more from Justified's new position?

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Edit - Well Justified must be focused on the Orcs in front of him...


Human Monk 2 Male HP 20/20 AC: 17/17/14 F: +5 R: +5 W: +7 Per: +9 Init:+2

Haterivet shudders seeing one of the arrows strike Justified penetreting deeply. For a brief moment he considers the idea of charging the two orcs in front of pole-wielding Shoanti warrior, but seeing them waving their falchions menacingly, he reconsiders, and moves towards the orcs in a more cautious way, ready for action, if they would to suddenly spring attack.

Move to Y3, Ready action vs (potential) orc charge


Wizard 3 | HP: 11/17 | AC 16 | 12 | 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +3 | Ref +3 | Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +2 | Sense Motive +0

Kwin will double move to AC-6, dagger still at the ready.


Damage for shortbow: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Quain's arrow hits the archer, but he refuses to die, though he is bleeding profusely!

Did Menas drop his pack gear? I will assume so. Otherwise, he can only move 40' as a double move and not reach Justified.

Round 2: Orcs' turn!

The wounded archer shoots Quain:
Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

The other archer shoots Justified and moves 20' closer, but misses this time!
Attack: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 2 = 9

The orcs with the prisoners double move back into the cave, commanding the family to follow them, using the prisoners as shields, with the mother carrying the baby.

The other 2 orcs continue the same pose, grunting and baring their teeth at the party, as they grip their falchions tightly!

Updated Map

Party is up!

Andoran

M Human Lore Warden (Fighter 3): HP 17/26 AC: 16/12/17 F: +4 R: +3 W: +1, Per: +3 Init:+2)

I think Justified was up before the Orcs, but I was planning to delay anyway since Menas was using his shield for my benefit.

Justified comes out of delay saying quickly to Menas Ignore these and move to my left side. Try to take the archer with a javelin. He moves a single move to diagonally up and to his left S5 and takes the ready action in case an orc grows bold and approaches.


Male Human(Ulfen) Barbarian/2 Per:+6 Init:+3 HP19/26(30/30) AC: 20/12/18 F:+7(+9) R:+4(+6) W:+2(+4)

I think i can charge to M2 past the fire in a straight line but its a close angle so i am not sure, if not i will throw.

Seeing the prisoners being dragged into the cave Menas drops his javlin and charges the injured Orc, swinging his shield savagely with both hands, "DIE!"

To hit 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Damage 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Cannot charge, the fire is an obstacle in the way.


Wizard 3 | HP: 11/17 | AC 16 | 12 | 14 | CMD 13 | Fort +3 | Ref +3 | Will +3 | Init +2 | Perc +2 | Sense Motive +0

Silently Kwin pads forward. He doesn't say a single word and he does not charge in directly, but he continues to close the distance to the orcs nonetheless.

Double move to U-5.


Human Monk 2 Male HP 20/20 AC: 17/17/14 F: +5 R: +5 W: +7 Per: +9 Init:+2

Noticing the arrow striking, but not downing orc archer in front of him, monk charges towards him in a straight line. He charges with his strange looking weapon (monk spade) poised for the thrust, and just moments before the actual strike, he transfers the weapon to his left hand, hoping to distract the orc just enough in order for his unarmed strike to punch trough.

Charge to M3
Attack roll: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 4 + 2 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

801 to 850 of 885 << first < prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Lucendar's Survival PbP - Welcome to the Slaughter! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.