Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Lost Memories of Sorrow (Inactive)

Game Master BinkyBo

Will reactivate if and when needed.


1 to 50 of 1,775 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

It has been 2 years since you awoke, surrounded by the others, all with no memory of how they had come to be there. The memory of that day is like a dream - and reoccurs in your dreams ..
The first thing you sense…is the warm, moist, fecund air. The pungent musk of new growth mixed with the sick stench of rot. A swamp. Your head buzzes and you can’t move a muscle. You are still unable to focus your eyes but you feel someone over you, and start to make out the sound of chanting - almost noiseless. The soft rhythmic clicking of the tongue punctuates unintelligible words.
A ruby-tinted glow fills the area and you can briefly see your companion lying on a low stone slab with a dark hunched figure above him. “I can sense my old enemies stirring… you will be tested soon.” The light winks out just as the figure above you - from the periphery of your vision - comes into focus. The world goes dark, and the whispered chanting stops, as you try to will yourself from the cold hard stone beneath you.
A new raspy voice of an old woman... two in unison, “More will come through the portal, and the walking dead - as well as the boggard - can smell your blood. We leave you to your own fate. Our bargain is complete. You owe us nothing… our debt is paid… But we suggest you wake.” And then they disappear in the twilight of your waking.

After coming to .. you found you could start to recall a few things about your past life .. your names, the faces of the people you knew .. and water.. Nightmares of flood, drowning, murky depths have haunted you all.

Since that day, you have made a village named Doyle's Run your home. It is part of an area called Varisia. Primarily a logging camp it also serves as a layover for travelers and has a ferry to take you to the the slightly larger village of Turtleback Ferry. For the two years you have been here you feel you remember as much as you are going to - pretty much everything up until Globeto - but not the lost time in between and how you got here.. Perhaps it is time to move on and accept this as your home.


Things have become interesting in Doyle's Run the past few days. A discovery was made when the logging camp drudged a mire in the Shimmerglens, with the intent of increasing the acreage of the tree farm. They found a large flat stone - like the lid to a primitive sarcophagus, with stone stairs descending into darkness underneath. It looked like an empty tomb. The locals and owners of the land shrugged it off, but Errik knew it was much more than that... He went by himself to investigate a second time, and never came back.


It is morning. You did not accompany Errik last night. You were busy working your trades, and he gave you no impression he desired company anyway. But still, you have not seen him for a full day ... Long enough to warrant a visit, and reason enough to use the spare key he had left with you.

map of Errik's residence.


Status:
HP: 27/27(13 Non lethal) | AC: 17 | Touch: 12 | Flat Footed: 15 | Fort:+1, Ref: +6, Will: +6 | CMD: 15 | Spells Cast: 1st 3, 2nd 1 | Arch Luck: 6/8 used|

Sorry. Just dotting to follow along :)


Male Human Magus (Bladebound) 5

Senthiri took his time getting ready for the day. He had been out late, but had come home with his purse weighing significantly more than it had before.

He spent some time lounging around, but could not quite sit still. Finally, he stopped and spoke to his sword, "Well Werend, I'd say it's time to visit Errik. What do you think?" Without waiting for a response, Senthiri grabbed the spare key and was out the door.

I think I forgot to tell you that I posted Werend's background, stats, etc. on my profile.


"Ah yes .. I suppose I'll join you .." as you walk out your door.


labelled map of Doyle's Run


Male Human Magus (Bladebound) 5

"Errik?" Senthiri's voice booms out through the house. "You missed a great game last night. I think I came home with another 200 gold."

Senthiri walks through the house, but looking for Errik, but can't seem to find him.

"Now where could he be? Senthiri muses to himslef. Then he shrugs and heads back to the office. "Maybe he left something there for me. He says smiling.


Male Human(Tintalian) Alchemist(Beastmorph)-3/Drunken Brute (Barbarian)-2

Braxton had been slow moving that day, having celebrating at the tavern a little too late for a big sale he made the day before. As Braxton painfully took inventory of his current stock, he remembered that Errik went out to that site before and figured he would rather see what he found more then doing inventory.

Braxton packed up his gear, and filled up one of his mugs with light honey mead to help get his wits about him. As the drunkard got to the street of the Archeologist’s home, he saw Senthiri go in. As the merchant arrived at the door he walked right in as well, ”Hey Senthiri, how goes it? Do you know if Errik found any treasures out there?” His greedy eyes light up at the question.

Sorry for the late post, will do better now that it’s in my campaign list hehe.


Errik's house is empty. In fact, as you pass through his first storage area on the way to his office area, it looks as though everything of value has been removed.


@Braxton not a problem .. I figured you might not notice right away for that reason

feel free to do perception checks or whatever to investigate.


Male Human Magus (Bladebound) 5

Senthiri's brows furrow as he enters the storage area. "Hello Braxton." Senthiri calls back "It appears that Errik may have lost more than he gained there." Senthiri goes back to the front door and inspects the lock on the door.

DM:
Perception:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
I'm looking to see if it's been forced open, or broken or something.


You do not see any signs of forced entry. When you eventually check his office area you find it similarly cleaned out .. A large piece of paper with some sort of wax rubbing of symbols is on the desk, along with another paper with notes written in Argot next to it.
notes


Male Human(Tintalian) Alchemist(Beastmorph)-3/Drunken Brute (Barbarian)-2

Seeing that the house is mostly empty , Braxton asks, "What is going on here? Did Errik get into funding issues or do you think something spooked him out there." Not wanting to deal with paperwork, Braxton lets his friend read the note and takes a swig of honey mead from his tankard.


After a few moments of Senthiri looking through the notes, you hear a familiar woman's voice which sounds to be coming from the front door .. "Errik? .. did it work? I just got another one in if not - where are you? Errik? Hello?"

You have at this point fully adjusted to the local language. In the haze of your arrival it took a while to realize the people were speaking nearly the same tongue as what you had known as Vulgar. The main difference in the common tongue of this place is a far more complex set of tenses. Making Vulgar seem more simple and child-like.
The implications of this are difficult to fathom .. and it has made both Errik and Varro obsessed with needing to find the truth - each in their own ways.


Male Human Magus (Bladebound) 5

Sorry. It'll be good to get recruitment up. Get a few more players.

Senthiri looks up from the notes. Back here Fawni, in the office. he shouts.

As he waits for Fawni to join them, Senthiri turns to Braxton. I don't know what's going on. It doesn't seem like anyone broke in, I can't see anything spooking Errik and for funding issues, I think we would've known. Something else happened, and I'm not sure if I want to know what.

Senthiri shivers. As he does his hand moves to rest on his sword.

Werend:
What do you think Werend? Got any ideas?


"Oh! .. ooh.." her tone changes from surprise to her normal demeanor toward Errik's pair of swindlers; one cheating people at cards 'alright .. allegedly' and the other through selfish arbitrage. She would never treat her customers like that .. 'heh maybe that is why Errik came to me and not Braxton '..
" .. morning you two. Errik not here? What .. you lookin at his notes? Naughty nosy parker, you.. " she laughs just loud enough to be irritating .. "Oh well .. guess I'll catch him later .."


Male Human(Tintalian) Alchemist(Beastmorph)-3/Drunken Brute (Barbarian)-2

Braxton holds up his hands in innocent manner, "Senthiri invited me in, plus there nuthin to take anyways hehe." He then looks at one of his rival shop owners in puzzlement "What'z you doing here Fawni? You know sumthin about tis." Braxton asks as he looks towards the other exits in the room, this was more reflex then anything for the ex con.

Perception:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Double checking exits and seeing if he's about to be roll'd aka ambushed.


Male Human Magus (Bladebound) 5

Hello Fawni, Senthiri says through gritted teeth.

Werend:
What a simpering fool she is. Got any new jokes about her? I could use some about now.

I don't know if you noticed, but Errik's stuff is all gone. All he left were these notes. Do you know anything about where he went? He could be in trouble, and as much as your deplore my investments in pastimes that depend on speculation, and I abhor your puerile estimations of existence, he may need our help. Senthiri flashes an ingratiating smile and waits.

I went with the assumption, as she seems the type that she has made her detest of his gambling known. Therefore, Senthiri likes to use big words around her, as she also seems the type to not understand them. I hope that works.


WerendtoSenthiri:

If you need me to feed you lines to handle her, I think I'm riding the wrong hip .. you can let me off here...

"Oh I .." Fawni starts to answer Braxton, then stops and looks around - reddening as Senthiri speaks .. "Oh I was just .. Hmm. Well sorry I .. he bought a scroll from me. Had something to do with that empty tomb they found in the mire. He came back next day and said it didn't work .. I gave him another on the house, of course .. but I had one delivered from Magnimaar yesterday from a right powerful wizard in case he just needed somethin a little stronger y'know .. said 'if that don't do the trick, Honey, nothing will' he said. So I just thought I'd pop in and see .. " she looks around again .. "Hope he's not in any trouble.."


Male Human(Tintalian) Alchemist(Beastmorph)-3/Drunken Brute (Barbarian)-2

"Ha, he should of asked me for the scroll. Mine wouldn't of failed like that, I only provide quality products not trash." Braxton says with a chuckle.

"Anyway what kind of scrolls were these? Could I take a look at the current one it may help us figure what happened to our buddy and hopefully he's not hurt due too low quality gear."

Bluff(for saying he sells quality products not trash hehe):1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


Fawni tenses up but relaxes a bit with Braxton's chuckle.. "Oh yes I'm sure .. "
She lifts her hand holding a scroll tube. "Well here .. dispel magic scroll. Don't see how it could hurt him really, first one just wasn't .. strong enough, I 'spose."


Male Human(Tintalian) Alchemist(Beastmorph)-3/Drunken Brute (Barbarian)-2

He takes the scroll to look at it, "Let me take a look see here. Hmmmmm, this scroll seems to be okay for an apprentice!" Braxton laughs. "What ward is he trying to get by do you know?"

Bluff:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10


"I dunno .. " she makes a face " .. Not one to blab, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind .. He's been goin out to that empty tomb they found out there. He seemed to think there was some hidden door of some sort. Dunno what he needed this for in particular though."
She looks around some more .. "Well he probably just stayed out there all night.. Two of his everburning torches he got from me are gone.. " She points to two empty sconces in the room. "I'll just leave this scroll here .. unless you care to run it out to him... "


Male Human(Tintalian) Alchemist(Beastmorph)-3/Drunken Brute (Barbarian)-2

"Would get paid to deliver the scroll?" Braxton asks.


Fawni rolls her eyes .. "Its just ten miles. Well never mind then, I'll just leave it here with his lesson plans.. what's this?" A piece of paper sticks out of the lesson plan book which she reads aloud .."Should I not return, I am sorry. My entire curriculum is laid out in these books...' And then there are words in ... I don't even know what language this is.."

She shows you the note .. the words are written in Argot "I think I may have found something quite interesting. Come meet me at the discovered "empty tomb". Don't talk to anyone! I had to go quietly and quickly .. D and FM are not who they were .. they are something evil in disguise."


Status:
HP: 27/27(13 Non lethal) | AC: 17 | Touch: 12 | Flat Footed: 15 | Fort:+1, Ref: +6, Will: +6 | CMD: 15 | Spells Cast: 1st 3, 2nd 1 | Arch Luck: 6/8 used|

Knowledge rolls:

Kn: Arcana 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
Kn: Dungeoneering 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19
Kn: Nature 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Kn: Religion 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Male Human(Tintalian) Alchemist(Beastmorph)-3/Drunken Brute (Barbarian)-2

"Yeah that's some weird script, if you want I can take that scroll and deliver free of charge me lady." Does a mocking bow with that last comment. "Hey Senthiri lets get some breakfast and talk some business." He sneaks in a wink towards the magus.

Bluff:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


"Oh. Well thank you." She takes the scroll from the shelf and hands it to you. "I s'pose I'll be off then. Good luck and good day to ya." She turns to leave.


Male Human(Tintalian) Alchemist(Beastmorph)-3/Drunken Brute (Barbarian)-2

"You've made the right decesion, ma'damm." He takes off his hat and bows his head to the lady. He'll wait for her to leave and make sure she is gone before he asks Senthiri, "Hey check this out, I want a more skilled eye to make sure she's not selling our friend cheap merchandise. Make sure there nothing funny with it." He points at the scroll.


Male Human Magus (Bladebound) 5

As soon as Fawni is out of hearing Senthiri speaks quietly to Braxton. The Argot words coming with the difficulty of one who's out of practice.I knew I didn't like her. It was obvious she was evil from the moment I met her.

"Hmm... Let me see." Senthiri looks at the scroll studying it.

Knowledge (Arcana):
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30


Male Human(Tintalian) Alchemist(Beastmorph)-3/Drunken Brute (Barbarian)-2

Braxton nods in agreement with Senthiri's comments about Fawni, "Yeah, now I don't feel bad about relieving her of her various shipments. hehe." Braxton chuckles.


perception DC20:

Shortly after Fawni leaves you just barely hear the front door.

All of a sudden you hear Errik's voice "Well now, look at this adventure I have stumbled upon." He then appears before you with a bit of a smile.


Male Human(Tintalian) Alchemist(Beastmorph)-3/Drunken Brute (Barbarian)-2

Perception:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Braxton looks over to the front door, he whispers to his friend "Is that Errik? Or do you think its a trick from Fawni?" He keeps his hand rested on his crowbar.


Senthiri-Kn(arcane):

At first glance it appears to be a normally functioning dispel magic scroll .. a slight variation catches your eye. It was designed to target the caster only...

Braxton-Perception:

Apart from the context/timing of his appearing, you do not detect anything that suggests this is not Errik, nor do you detect any other signs of getting roll'd.


Male Human Magus (Bladebound) 5

Perception:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Senthiri looks up at the sound of the door. When Errik arrives, he smiles wide. Then says, Hello my friend, after Braxton's whispered concerns, Senthiri stops then switches to Argot, That vile creature that passes for a human named Fawning is swindling you. This scroll targets the user. Senthiri holds up the scroll briefly and looks to see that he was understood.


Status:
HP: 27/27(13 Non lethal) | AC: 17 | Touch: 12 | Flat Footed: 15 | Fort:+1, Ref: +6, Will: +6 | CMD: 15 | Spells Cast: 1st 3, 2nd 1 | Arch Luck: 6/8 used|

Errik replies in Argot"Yes it's really no surprise now... Ah come now fellows! I know it's a little worrying but look at all the mysteries we suddenly have to solve! The tomb, Fawni and her brothers origin and purpose, and of course I believe they are linked! After all Fawni has been quite as interested in the find as me." Errik still holds his bow in his left hand and is waving an arrow around in the air absentmindedly with his right as he talks. "Now are you ready to set out? Perhaps we can find clues as to Fawni's origin and purpose in the tomb. If you still need to grab more gear then we can meet in the forest southwest from here and we can talk and plan along the way!"


Male Human(Tintalian) Alchemist(Beastmorph)-3/Drunken Brute (Barbarian)-2

Replies in Argot as well, "You know I always keep my good stuff on me, so ready when you two are." He moves his hand away from his crowbar and relaxes a little. Still speaking in Argot, "Let us hurry since the faster we dispatch of Fawni then sooner I can help myself to her goods." He gives a mischievous smile while rubbing his hands together.

Maybe I should of put in a Mwuahaha! hehe.


Male Human Magus (Bladebound) 5

Senthiri smiles wide. Well then, let's be on our way. He begins to set down the scroll, but pauses for a moment, and then puts it in his own pack.


Status:
HP: 27/27(13 Non lethal) | AC: 17 | Touch: 12 | Flat Footed: 15 | Fort:+1, Ref: +6, Will: +6 | CMD: 15 | Spells Cast: 1st 3, 2nd 1 | Arch Luck: 6/8 used|

Errik eases his door open and peeks out checking to make sure he's unobserved.
Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
" I don't think it would be good if I was seen. Maybe you should take a round about route to the forest to avoid being seen with me. " he says continueing to speak Argot as it felt good to use the old secret language. He then ducks out of the door keeping low and dashing from cover to cover towards the forest.
Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19


As the south-facing door opens you hear the sounds to the north of the market square - merchants setting up their stands. From where you stand at the doorway no one is visible. It is a ten mile west southwest trek to the site.


Male Human(Tintalian) Alchemist(Beastmorph)-3/Drunken Brute (Barbarian)-2

Braxton groans as he hears the market open and thinks about his potential buyers, "By the gods I hope there is some profit in this trip since I am losing some potential sales right now." He gives Senthiri a smirk.


Male Human Magus (Bladebound) 5

"It's a gamble, but it's one I'm willing to bet on. Senthiri leans out the door. After a little bit, he turns back to Braxton, "I think Errik's far enough along that we can get going." He steps out and starts strolling towards the forest.


There are about 3 miles of "wild" woods, 6 miles of trees planted in rows (tree farm - no underbrush), then a little less than a mile of the mostly drudged mire before you reach the site.
Since you have lived here, this area has always been safe. The woods well north has its share of hazardous denizens, but as you were told when you arrived to Doyle's Run ... "civilization and industry keep all that from here."

meet up along the way or at site?


Status:
HP: 27/27(13 Non lethal) | AC: 17 | Touch: 12 | Flat Footed: 15 | Fort:+1, Ref: +6, Will: +6 | CMD: 15 | Spells Cast: 1st 3, 2nd 1 | Arch Luck: 6/8 used|

When Errik makes the cover of the forest he stops and waits there for the others.


As you come within view of the site- a few hundred feet away, you see a crowd has gathered nearby. The majority of the dozen people are wearing logger uniforms.


Male Human Magus (Bladebound) 5

Senthiri stops in the trees when he sees the crowd surrounding the tomb. He looks around at all the people and tries to see why they're all there.

Perception:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

As he looks Senthiri whispersto Errik,--slipping into Argot with more ease than before--"Were these people here before?"

At the time being, any time I talk to Errik or Braxton, I'm sticking with Argot. Just so I don't have to say it every post.


Senthiri + other DC15 Perception checks:

While you are scanning the situation you hear one of the men raise his voice above the others "Alright .. we've got a killer on the loose. I'm stopping work today, go back to your families and stay in your homes. Keep it quiet until I contact the warden though, don't want a panic."
The crowd begins to disperse - heading north, toward the main trail. The gnome in charge of the drudging equipment and the foreman stay behind chatting next to what looks like two bodies lying on the ground near the "lid" of the tomb.


Status:
HP: 27/27(13 Non lethal) | AC: 17 | Touch: 12 | Flat Footed: 15 | Fort:+1, Ref: +6, Will: +6 | CMD: 15 | Spells Cast: 1st 3, 2nd 1 | Arch Luck: 6/8 used|

Perception:
1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29
" No, what's going on I wonder. " Then Erriks face turns sour as he hears the mans words and spots the bodies at their feet. " ugh. It's hard not to connect this imediately with what I saw the other night! " by now Errik has told the story to Braxton and Senthiri of when he had gone to Fawni's house to pick up a scroll he needed for the tomb.
Story:
I was heading up the path to her door but before I was even halfway down my eyes were drawn to the light streaming from a crack in the curtains! Their they were, Fawni and her brother, sitting on the couch drinking blood from goblets and licking their lips with tongues that seemed impossibly long. I was just ducking behind a bush to continue watching when suddenly Fawni looked straight up at me. I thought it would be best to be gone at that point so I ran to my house grabbed my gear and wrote you that note.
" Let's go talk with these two stragglers. We might need to warn them of the dangers in town. " Errik strides into the clearing making straight for the foreman. " Hello Goodman logger. " He addresses the foreman and nods to the gnome. " what has drawn all the loggers to this little clearing? " he asks looking down at the bodies.


The foreman waves grimly and the gnome pushes the goggles of his leather helm further up his forehead as he looks toward you ..
The foreman speaks "Errik is it? " he nods as you approach. "Eh .. thought you mighta heard the screamin' too .. came runnin' .. found em like this.." Now closer you see the two bodies .. Fawni and her brother Dylan -- covered in blood and muck.

1 to 50 of 1,775 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Lost Memories of Sorrow All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.