Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Leviathan Rises (Inactive)

Game Master Harakani

After the Old Ones conquered Golarion the survivors fled to a patchwork of demiplanes known only as The City.


501 to 550 of 906 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>

Human Paladin 1 AC 17/11/16 / HP 13/13 / F +4 R +1 W +3 / Init. +1 / Perc. +0 / Sense Motive +0

Oh. So there we are then.

Weyland will take point and head through the portal.

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Shae stays alert and has either the scythe (if no one else wants it) or a club in hand.


Weyland walks to where the portal should be, peering into the pitch dark beyond. The first step through the portal feels as if he is pushing into water, then treacle, then wood.

Weyland:

Are you trying to push through?

Darkvision:

Throught the portal is a pitch-black building, with two life-like but inanimate statues of guards in front of it.


Human Paladin 1 AC 17/11/16 / HP 13/13 / F +4 R +1 W +3 / Init. +1 / Perc. +0 / Sense Motive +0

DM:
Press on. Hey you only live once.


Weyland seems to struggle to pass through the portal. He obviously pushes himself - like trying to shoulder through the door. After a minute or so he has advanced maybe a centimeter, but looks uncomfortable.

Weyland:
Then the others will get a chance to crack the problem. I assumed taking 20. You are making progress, but have taken a point of non-lethal damage. The part of your shoulder inside the portal is tingling as if it had pins and needles.


Can I get a Knowlegde:Planes roll please. Untrained okay. Tarek you get a +2 bonus.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Planes 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Shaezon:

When one moves from a slow time to a fast time portal, there is sometimes a minute bit of resistance as the slower body pushes into the larger. This is most pronounced when pushing into water. Additionally, there is sometimes a loss of illumination from one portal to the next with a mismatched time stream.

If your conjecture is correct and there is somehow an extreme time differential, then Weyland could be attempting to push through a very large time differential indeed. Enough that the beating of his heart on that side may be insufficient to keep alive the parts on this side, once he gets far enough.

If true, you would need to either stabilise the temporal flux anomaly, or use the scrolls.


Male Human Sensei-Four Winds 3

This seems strange... uncommon. Kn Planes, +2: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 2 = 11

What am i averaging, still 5 on d20?


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Eyes widening with realization Shae will grab Wayland and pull him back through. Yelling to whomever is near "Help me pull him back, quickly!"

Once he's back Shae explains. He's clearly using simplified terms with a bit of difficulty. "There's an extreme time differential between the portals. If you try to go through it could kill you. The time difference on that side may change the pattern of your heart that it can't support the parts on this side, or vice versa. If you want to go through we'll need to stabilize the temporal flux anomaly or use a scroll."

DM, How exactly can we theoretically stabilize the portal?


Time, a very high Use Magic Device and/or a very high will roll from a monk of the 4 winds (DC 32). Bonus for using temporal spells (haste, time stop, etc) but no-one has those. I'll be impressed if you make it, I was expecting you to use the scrolls! Primary can take 20, you can aid, those aiding can't take 10 or 20.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

"We'll need to use the scroll to make it through safely."


Male Human Sensei-Four Winds 3

Does Aid stack? Or +2 max? If Tarek takes 20, he's at 28.


Human Paladin 1 AC 17/11/16 / HP 13/13 / F +4 R +1 W +3 / Init. +1 / Perc. +0 / Sense Motive +0

"Thanks for the save Shae. That probably wasn't my brightest moment."

"So let's use the scrolls."


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

"Anytime. "


Male Human Sensei-Four Winds 3

Tarek is glad Weyland is safe.

We have to pay for each scroll, the money is better used for Grandmother... Let him keep his secret for now. We can always come back, later.

Besides, time is only one element. There is also space. We don't know where we're going or what sort of environment we'd be entering.


Male human Dirge Bard 4 | HP 19/19 {effects: none} | AC 20 (T15 FF15) DR 2 (silver&magic)| F -1, R +9, W +3 | Init +5 | darkvision 60', Perception +10, Sense Motive +8
Dailies:
Bardic Performance 14/14r, Spells: 1st: 3/4, 2nd: 2/2

"What direction is the time differential? I can see what look to be guards or statues on the other side of the portal, in front of a dark building."


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

"I think this might be beyond us. We should probably leave it for now. "


Male Human Sensei-Four Winds 3

Agreed.


Human Paladin 1 AC 17/11/16 / HP 13/13 / F +4 R +1 W +3 / Init. +1 / Perc. +0 / Sense Motive +0

"Oh come on, there could be more treasure through there. If nothing else, let's poke a stick or shove one of those monkey things through to see what happens."


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Weyland Piper wrote:
"Oh come on, there could be more treasure through there. If nothing else, let's poke a stick or shove one of those monkey things through to see what happens."

"Stick, sure. If you want. Monkey, no. You'd just be killing the thing. "


for the record plane shift is a 5th divine and 7th arcane spell. That means CL 9 and 13 respectively.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Shae closely examines the portal to see if he can help discern how it works.

Spellcraft 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Or not.


Male Human Sensei-Four Winds 3

Stepping forward, Tarek places both of his hands against the "surface" of the portal... He stays in this position for a bit.

Looking at the others, I see the patterns, how the two dimensions... touch. I can adjust it, I think... making the between more... "friendly". But, I can't get the last piece... If you could offer any advice, I would appreciate it.

I'm going to try again, slowly... patiently. Imposing my will on the original makers design, or what has become of it. The youth once more reach foward, laying his hands upon the surface of the portal.

4 Winds Monk, Take 20 = 28.


Human Paladin 1 AC 17/11/16 / HP 13/13 / F +4 R +1 W +3 / Init. +1 / Perc. +0 / Sense Motive +0

UMD(aid): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


Aku can aid, assuming he did, but the strain will convince him to 'retire' after this.

Tarek strains to control his own temporal signature, and through that, the gate. Weyland starts to 'feel' his way through the portal, calling back suggestions. Aku observes the result with his occult senses (detect magic), describing what he sees to Tarek and encouraging him to continue.

It takes about an hour. Tarek feels as if he had run a marathon. Weyland lost a knife to a temporal pocket that rendered the tip into century old rust flakes. Aku looks as if he saw something he will never really forget... but you succeed. The portal finally stabilises in the 'safe' region of 2:1.

Without knowing why it drifted our of temporal alignment in the first place, there's no way to know if - or when - it will happen again. But for now the portal is clear as crystal, leading to a busy lit street upon which a pair of guards turn to look at you quizzically.

If those who step through can post, after that I'll cut to the reward scene - unless anyone objects?


Male Human Sensei-Four Winds 3

Tarek finds himself in the center of the gate, flanked by his friends. Not a bad place to be. Excuse me, Sirs. Could I bother you for some directions. Seems we had a bit of time... to kill.

Smiling broadly, he leans on Pepper.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Shae tests the event horizon, then holds his breath and steps through.


Human Paladin 1 AC 17/11/16 / HP 13/13 / F +4 R +1 W +3 / Init. +1 / Perc. +0 / Sense Motive +0

"Well done Tarek. Let's go get paid."

Weyland will step through.


Male human Dirge Bard 4 | HP 19/19 {effects: none} | AC 20 (T15 FF15) DR 2 (silver&magic)| F -1, R +9, W +3 | Init +5 | darkvision 60', Perception +10, Sense Motive +8
Dailies:
Bardic Performance 14/14r, Spells: 1st: 3/4, 2nd: 2/2

Anton steps through the portal, letting the planar energy wash over him.


Male Human Sensei-Four Winds 3

Aware of, more than seeing the last of his friends pass over, Tarek lets go... in his mind, the miasma of near... sanity. As if answering an unheard question, Tarek... Tarek Madrysian.


Pepper said he'd be away, and haven't seen Aku for a while, so jumping to the reward scene!

Once again you find yourself ushered into councillor Kesh's drawing room, the guard turned away at the mansion door.

Kesh still wears his fashionable outfit, Marya still wears the dragonscale dress, and two of the three attachés are still present, joined by a new attaché dressed in the same armoured coat.

"Already?" the councillor asks, surprise in his voice. "What happened? Were you attacked?"


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

"You could say that. A scarecrow automaton."


Male human Dirge Bard 4 | HP 19/19 {effects: none} | AC 20 (T15 FF15) DR 2 (silver&magic)| F -1, R +9, W +3 | Init +5 | darkvision 60', Perception +10, Sense Motive +8
Dailies:
Bardic Performance 14/14r, Spells: 1st: 3/4, 2nd: 2/2

"There was also a time differential, which might explain why it seems as if we returned so quickly. The portal was malfunctioning in a way that made this time differential extreme and the portal difficult to stabilize and push through."


"The residents? My people?"


Male Human Sensei-Four Winds 3

Dead or turned to monkeys and locust. Give him the stuff, all of it. Everything.


Male Ulfen Urban Barbarian/1 HP: 15/15(17) Init: +2 Perc: +3 AC: 15(13) TAC: 12(10) FFAC: 13 CMD: 16(18) F: +6(8)/R: +2/W:-1(+1)

"Aye, we found the amulets from two of your people, with what was left of their remains. One seemed to be eaten by an outta control mushroom beastie. The other seemed to have gotten on the bad side of your scarecrow guard. The messed up time portal that Anton mentioned seemed to be the main cause, letting the fungus, buggies, and such get outta control. Fix that and you should be able to take control of the place again, seems to me."


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

In regard to peppers answer "Seems pretty accurate."


"Extreme time differential?" Kesh asks, gritting his teeth. "It was supposed to be 7 to 1. The damn wizard said he'd worked it out."

Knowledge Planes or Knowledge Arcana DC22:

No-one has worked out how to construct a stable time differential greater than 2:1. Normally after a few weeks the time differential starts going into flux. If a wizard thought he'd fixed it, he might just have come up with a way to prolong the period before flux... but from what you've seen it isn't stable anymore. You stabilised it for a while - maybe a few days, maybe a few minutes.

Can I get diplomacy rolls please?


Male Human Sensei-Four Winds 3

Kn Planes: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

We're not accusing anyone, but what we saw... what we went through, more than 1000 to 1. Either they played you..., Tarek looks around respectfully. ...or they didn't know.

Scat happens.


Male human Dirge Bard 4 | HP 19/19 {effects: none} | AC 20 (T15 FF15) DR 2 (silver&magic)| F -1, R +9, W +3 | Init +5 | darkvision 60', Perception +10, Sense Motive +8
Dailies:
Bardic Performance 14/14r, Spells: 1st: 3/4, 2nd: 2/2

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

"Indeed. The differential was far far higher. It seems the wizard hadn't worked it out after all. The differential made it extremely difficult to return. It is possible your people were stuck on the other side, and with time passing as it did..."


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Know Arcana 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19
Know Planes1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2

Diplomacy 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7


Human Paladin 1 AC 17/11/16 / HP 13/13 / F +4 R +1 W +3 / Init. +1 / Perc. +0 / Sense Motive +0

Those skills are a little outside my skill set, so I'll let the others take the lead on this.


Kesh does some asking around, offering you a hot and hearty breakfast while he does.

Finally, breakfast completed Kesh comes to the dining room.
"Well, you're right. The whole area's risky now."

6 large gold ingots, marked as 15 pounds each, are placed upon the table one after another.

Negotiations commence. Kesh feels that you brought back one of his men and told him what the problem was, but only found a temporary fix.

Tarek and Shaezon seem determined to put their foot in it, but Anton's smooth way with words comes to the rescue! Kesh is finally convinced that by the letter of the agreement you did fix the problem - and may be able to fix it again - and admits that you did bring the second amulet back - though without the remains he can't have them raised. Finally he agrees to 8 ingots (6000 gp).

"Now - the deal was I get the scrolls and anything you brought back, now. Oh - and that you can buy shares. They're not as good as they once were. A pound of gold a share (50gp) - if you still want in."

totally up to you guys. Share pays back based on planar time, which is erratic. Mechanically it's d10*d10 sp a month income, and being occasionally asked to fix problems.

If anyone is trying to keep anything, tell me.


Male Human Sensei-Four Winds 3

Can you lend money? Say 10,000gp? Let's say we buy 120 shares... All the money. You lend us 10K. You have the shares as collateral, mitigate any risk. What's everyone think?

Tarek looks around.

Good faith all around, win-win.


M Elf Spellbinder Conjuration (teleport) Wiz 2
Tarek Madrysian wrote:

Can you lend money? Say 10,000gp? Let's say we buy 120 shares... All the money. You lend us 10K. You have the shares as collateral, mitigate any risk. What's everyone think?

Tarek looks around.

Good faith all around, win-win.

"Agreed." Saying as little as possible to avoid sticking his foot in his mouth again.


Quick reminder: one of the reasons you wanted the money is for Grandmother.

Knowledge Local DC 14:

Shares in a new plane typically pay off at about 2.5gp/month per 50gp invested. This is a good deal if you get lucky, but it isn't earth shakingly good


Human Paladin 1 AC 17/11/16 / HP 13/13 / F +4 R +1 W +3 / Init. +1 / Perc. +0 / Sense Motive +0

Know(local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19

"The investment deal isn't terrible, but I've seen better. I will say getting into a business relationship with the counselor is probably a wise move in the long run. Really though, we only need like 1000gp at most to get Grandmothers disease healed, and we do have other revenue streams yet to explore. As such I'm not sure we really need to take on interest payments on a loan."


Male Human Sensei-Four Winds 3

Maybe the rates are reasonable, upgrade some equipment. The better to earn more money... Either way.

501 to 550 of 906 << first < prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Leviathan Rises Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.