Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Legacy of Fire

Game Master Megan Robertson


101 to 150 of 2,601 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Elf Ranger 1

Urdaan jerks awake as everyone begins moving about, and smiles grimly at the sight of so many bearing weapons. "Well, that was fast. What are we expecting?" He considers the armor on the ground next to his shield, but simply hefts the shield into position and picks up his axe. Yep, paying for this good night's rest. Endurance can't some fast enough :) As Calain's armor begins to gleam, Urdaan's eyes sweep about the grove, attempting to locate what has Garavel so unnerved.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 w/Low-Light vision, I believe I can see forty feet from any source of illumination.


Feeling dead tired after his first day in the desert, Raulzig woke up last. As soon as the initial dizziness has passed though, he hastily donned his armor and picked up weapons. He attached his light-producing wayfinder to his belt, loaded his crossbow and joined the group. He was trembling nervously.
"What happened? Are we under attack?"


Male Elf Ranger 1
Raulzig Turfoodle wrote:
"What happened? Are we under attack?"

"I'm not certain." Urdaan replies quietly, still sweeping the grove for activity. After a moment, he glances over to Samuel. "We were still on your watch period, correct? Do you have any idea what occurred?"


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

Seeing as everyone is awake and seems to have no idea what is going on Garavel speaks up and explains the situation"There are hyenas in these woods or at least near for otherwise I wouldn't have heard them we are checking the woods for any sign of them it is not safe to rest while there is a threat nearby for those who need it be sure to bring a light source." with that said he turns to the woods a raises his torch in an attempt to find were the howl came from.

Urdaan:
You here a faint growl noise from the SE it gets quieter as time passes as if whatever is making the sound is fleeing to the south

Hvok Nature or Local, Nature for better results but you can do both.


Male Half-Orc Wild Rager 2/Witch Hunter Inquisitor1 HP: 42/42 48/48 raging AC18/12/16-2 for Rage , F9/R4/W6+2 Fort/Will while raging Perception: +7, Init:+2

Knowledge: Nature1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22 as needed
Perception:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18 to spot anything
Survival1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 to look for tracks/sign

Calian, his armor shining brightly, is not one for stealth. Calls a challenge to the darkness, Come on you bastards! Let get started. If an attack comes, I'm at the centre He strides forward a few paces letting the "Hyena's" see him.


"How far do you estimate the hyenas could be? I can see in the dark better than humans do. Would it make sense for me to try and scout for any enemies? I can keep in touch via magical messages, but they can only be heard at about 30 yards. I can also light up the location of the danger if I spot anything."


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

"I am not even certain if they are hyenas though the howl did sure sound like it came from among the woods couldn't track the direction though. Raulzig you can scout ahead though I would prefer if we stay together you can see better in the dark stay on your guard whatever you do"says Garavel in response to Raulzig

Calain:
Gnolls are nocturnal like hyenas you know much of there nature and savage way of life they do have night vision approx 60ft and tend to raid at night. There are no tracks near the camp nor do you see anything nearby.


M Hobgoblin Druid 1
Wareagle wrote:

Seeing as everyone is awake and seems to have no idea what is going on Garavel speaks up and explains the situation"There are hyenas in these woods or at least near for otherwise I wouldn't have heard them we are checking the woods for any sign of them it is not safe to rest while there is a threat nearby for those who need it be sure to bring a light source." with that said he turns to the woods a raises his torch in an attempt to find were the howl came from.

** spoiler omitted **

Hvok Nature or Local, Nature for better results but you can do both.

knowledge(nature):1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


Raulzig produces a piece of copper wire from his pocket and wraps it over his wrist. He then points a finger at Garavel and silently moves his lips. Garavel nods in response - apparently, he has accepted Raulzig's message. Satisfied, Raulzig turned off his Wayfinder and slowly wandered off to the woods, turning his head in all directions.

Take 10 on Stealth: 10+11=21
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Wareagle:

How far is it to the woods? From the picture it looked like we're right near them. Anyway, Raulzig tries to stay within 100 feet of Garavel, if he doesn't reach the woods now then he will get there first when the group advances. If possible, he has Dancing Lights readied vs. approach.

And the dice favor me as always


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

Hvok:
all you can remember is that hyenas are nocturnal meaning gnolls probably are as they are Hyenamen

Raulzig:
Picure was more just showing the woods as you walked to them the camp is right by the woods under the trees shade anyway you move 80ft in before the smell of fresh blood assails your nostrils you take a few more more steps in before you see the dead body of a hyena obvious freshly dead perhaps killed only minutes ago you suddenly no longer feel safe at first glance you notice no wounds on the corpse.


Wareagle:

Message to Garavel: Dead hyena over here, freshly killed by... something. Stay alert.

Raulzig stops still in his tracks, and starts backing down slowly. Taking a bit of fleece from another pocket, he quietly mutters a strange words and gestures his hands. An image of a hyena appears, moving in circles around the real hyena's corpse, while Raulzig continues to retreat, observing what happens.
Retrying Perception, this time with Archaeologist's luck: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

Raulzig:
not exactly sure what it is you are doing with silent image anyhow another search of the hyena you notice some claw marks on its back though the wounds are to minor to have killed the hyena.


Wareagle:
The idea was to draw out whatever killed the hyena to attack the hyena image. Raulzig would then see what it was, and call in the group to attack.

Message to Garavel: Small claw marks on its back. What could leave them? Are there bats?

Raulzig scouts the 30-foot area around the corpse, trying to stay stealthy. He directs the hyena image to move 30 ft. in front of him.

Stealth still at 21, last try at Perception:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
This is unbelievable.

If I still don't find anything, I'm reporting back to the group.


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

Garavel stares of into the woods in disbelief after receiving the message from Raulzig then he mumbles something quietly to himself before turning and speaking to the others"Raulzig has found us a fresh kill, our hyena friends though he cannot identify the cause or what could have killed them they bear no sign of blow that could have been there death either way we'd best be careful it could strike at any moment once our gnome returns I think it is best that we scout the woods and eliminate the threat or stand guard for the night though I doubt we would find any sleep knowing that danger lurks nearby, it's your call"Garavel waits for the party to decide on there best course of action and waits for Raulzigs return.

Raulzig:
you continue to search the body and still fail to find any marks or find its killer the image runs around yet nothing stirs or attacks the "hyena". I take it you are going to head back now if not let me know your action.

Raulzigs messages to Garavel DC 25 perception:
Dead hyena over here, freshly killed by... something. Stay alert.Small claw marks on its back. What could leave them? Are there bats?


Wareagle:
Yes I am going to head back now, obviously Raulzig is still half-asleep :D Unless something attacks him on the way back, assume Raulzig went out of the woods and corroborated Garavel's words. I'll go to sleep soon, next post in about 8h.


M Hobgoblin Druid 1

perception to notice messages:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
"I agree." says Hav'k and then begins to look for tracks.

Survival:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

edit:I hope these bad rolls don't continue into combat.


Male Half-Orc Wild Rager 2/Witch Hunter Inquisitor1 HP: 42/42 48/48 raging AC18/12/16-2 for Rage , F9/R4/W6+2 Fort/Will while raging Perception: +7, Init:+2

I would rather fight. Whatever is out there KNOWS we're here already. If it is Gnolls, they have the advantage away from the light, they can see in the dark, we cannot. So search or guard, the lights stay up. But maybe on a immobile object so the shadows aren't constantly moving. Priest, Can you light up a high point hear in the camp? It can illuminate a fighting area and allow us to move freely without the light changing


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

"Gnolls, Gnolls do not hunt Hyenas they work with them sort of speak whatever it is we are dealing with here has great stealth for it left behind no tracks nor any marks on its kill nor did it feast on the hyena. Any ideas as to what we are dealing with?"says Garavel trying to come to some conclusion as to what it is.


male Elf Witch 2

Samuel stays near the source of the light, his ranged weapon ready.


Male Elf Ranger 1

Urdaan leans down to examine the kill, then goes to assist H'vok in seeking tracks.
Survival 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
K.Nature1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
"From what I could tell, what ever this was went south from here, maybe southeast. If we choose to pursue, that would be the most likely direction."


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

Urdaan:
just to let you know the "kill" is not near the camp Raulzig went 80ft in to find it anyway:The tracks from the hyena appear as if it was running until it came to this spot were it was killed by whatever you know that a hyena usually never run from other animals and usually put up a fight as where it is obvious that the now dead hyena did not put up resistance you find no tracks other then that of the hyena nor any killing wound on the animal.

Hvok:
You search for any signs of tracks near the camp(I am assuming you did not want to stay to far from the others)other than the Hyena tracks leading to the body your search comes up empty.


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

Urdaan perception check for examining the dead hyena


Male Half-Orc Wild Rager 2/Witch Hunter Inquisitor1 HP: 42/42 48/48 raging AC18/12/16-2 for Rage , F9/R4/W6+2 Fort/Will while raging Perception: +7, Init:+2

So we have a dead Hyena, and no tracks? I can spot no animal sign around the camp and I'm pretty good with that stuff. What about something that flies? In that case we should probably stay with the trees, they will give us some cover against an airborne threat. We should maybe pull back to camp a double the watch. Me and Urdan could pull a double shift, the casters need sleep yes?

With that, Calain shethes his Nodachi on his back and pulls a sharpend metal chakram from his belt and Scans the sky and trees around the camp(what little he can see at night)
Perception1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

"Perhaps it was a Geier have heard there's been sightings of them in this area if so they are very dangerous and protective of there nest perhaps the hyena just got to close"Garavel adds "I say that it is best if we search for our beasty would make me feel a lot better knowing what it is"Garavel then looks near the camp for any such tracks or sign of danger not wanting to stray to far away from the whole of the group.

knowledge nature DC 15:
A geier(pronounced GYRE)is a Katapeshi carrion bird well known for both its size and aggressive nature.


Male Half-Orc Wild Rager 2/Witch Hunter Inquisitor1 HP: 42/42 48/48 raging AC18/12/16-2 for Rage , F9/R4/W6+2 Fort/Will while raging Perception: +7, Init:+2

Knowledge:Nature1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Of course. Damn big Vultures. The little pathfinder should remain weary, lest he be carried off as a snack


Male Human (Vudrani) Cleric (Evangelist) 1
Calain wrote:
I would rather fight. Whatever is out there KNOWS we're here already. If it is Gnolls, they have the advantage away from the light, they can see in the dark, we cannot. So search or guard, the lights stay up. But maybe on a immobile object so the shadows aren't constantly moving. Priest, Can you light up a high point hear in the camp? It can illuminate a fighting area and allow us to move freely without the light changing

"I can, but your armor will lose its shine if I do. I will trust your expertise, but let us decide an approach and follow it closely. We will not last long governed by wild instinct."


Male Elf Ranger 1
Calain wrote:
So we have a dead Hyena, and no tracks? I can spot no animal sign around the camp and I'm pretty good with that stuff. What about something that flies? In that case we should probably stay with the trees, they will give us some cover against an airborne threat. We should maybe pull back to camp a double the watch. Me and Urdan could pull a double shift, the casters need sleep yes?

K. Nature 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Urdaan nods in agreement. "While I understand your concern, Garavel, stalking out in the open after an airborn predator does put us at a disadvantage. Calain's suggestion that we keep under the trees to keep cover from the air is sound, and I am also willing to take on a double watch for the night." Glancing down, he adds "I'd also move the creature's kill further outside the grove. Give it less reason to attack a secure campsite." Unless someone else objects, Urdaan hefts the carcass out to the edge of the grove and leaves it.


Raulzig emerges from the trees, wide-eyed. As he comes closer to the group he tells of his findings:

"I found a hyena corpse - that must have been the one that woke us up. There weren't any signs of whatever attacked it, only some small claw marks on its back, but they didn't look deadly. Whatever has killed it did it without a struggle. It could have been a poisonous snake or insect. I have also read about bats which attack animals and drink their blood; but I don't know if they exist in this region.
I investigated the area around the corpse but didn't find anything. I also created an illusion of another hyena to try and lure the attacker into striking again, but to no avail. It could have fled the area, or maybe it's just not hungry anymore.
Anyway, it seems like my stealth approach didn't give us much; I think it's better to do what Garavel proposes and sweep the woods together, with light and noise. If we don't find the attacker, we can then be reasonably sure it escaped the forest, and get back to our sleep."


Male Half-Orc Wild Rager 2/Witch Hunter Inquisitor1 HP: 42/42 48/48 raging AC18/12/16-2 for Rage , F9/R4/W6+2 Fort/Will while raging Perception: +7, Init:+2

Actually Pathfinder I believe you may have confirmed the vulture. I think some large types of bird carry prey up high and drop them. That would explain the lack of tracks and lack of wounds.


male Elf Witch 2

"Either way, I suspect that chasing it's killer out in the open in the middle of the night is not to our advantage."


M Hobgoblin Druid 1
Wareagle wrote:

"Perhaps it was a Geier have heard there's been sightings of them in this area if so they are very dangerous and protective of there nest perhaps the hyena just got to close"Garavel adds "I say that it is best if we search for our beasty would make me feel a lot better knowing what it is"Garavel then looks near the camp for any such tracks or sign of danger not wanting to stray to far away from the whole of the group.

** spoiler omitted **

knowledge nature:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

"A geier, what is that?"


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

Garavel continues to listen to the party while he wanders aimlessly around the camp"Perhaps sweeping the grove is not the best plan however it is best if we do something to guarantee our safety this night..."Garavel is interrupted by the whimpering of a dog of sorts coming from very close to the camp."Perhaps it has found us"Garavel draws his sword and slowly move in the direction of the sound."Coming? may need some backup if this is indeed our strange killer"Garavel barks back at the group.


Male Human (Vudrani) Cleric (Evangelist) 1

Pashaj takes a deep breath to center himself.


Raulzig readies his crossbow and follows 20ft behind Garavel and a bit to his right.


male Elf Witch 2

Sameul follows, staying near a light source if possible.


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

Garavel leads the party several feet into the Grove before the now smell of blood assails your nostrils Garavel quickly notices the scent and brings his torch down to the ground to see if he can find the source the light from the torch reveals a trail of blood witch continues on to the SE "Blood and lots of it may be dangerous to follow the trail but I am curious as to what is happening here" Garavel kneels down for further examination.

Grove and party location
Under the impression everyone just followed Garavel with no questions if not do tell what you did and are gona do


M Hobgoblin Druid 1

Hav'k brings his scorpion with him, and pulls out his sling.


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

Will wait on everyone's actions before continue


Male Human (Vudrani) Cleric (Evangelist) 1

How tightly packed are the trees? Pashaj may lay his spear aside, depending. It might not be an easy place to use a reach weapon.


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

Trees are not tightly packed at all very leafy on top little sun comes in though them at day but not tightly packed


Male Half-Orc Wild Rager 2/Witch Hunter Inquisitor1 HP: 42/42 48/48 raging AC18/12/16-2 for Rage , F9/R4/W6+2 Fort/Will while raging Perception: +7, Init:+2

Garavel, you should let me lead. You're paying me to kill things and I'm gonna have trouble with that if you're between me and what needs killing.
I can follow a trail.

Calain puts away his Chakram and draws his Naodachi and assumes front position in line.


Male Human (Vudrani) Cleric (Evangelist) 1

Pashaj assumes a place right behind Calain and follows without a word.


Male Elf Ranger 1

Urdaan looks to Calain as he strides forward, and wit ha nod, falls into a rearguard position behind Garavel, Samuel and Raulzig, quietly watching for a second attack from the flanks.


male Elf Witch 2

Samuel sticks to the middle of the group, crossbow loaded and ready.


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

The party and Garavel follow the trail in respective order down to the SE the trail goes far but the blood trail begins to thin as you near the SE end of the grove until it stops nothing no body or more blood. Garavel flails his Torch around in an attempt to find some other trail around or near them. "Strange that it suddenly ends here perhaps our killer is can fly or perhaps its just my eyes someone look around there must be something to be found here"

Updated map and party local


Raulzig checks the skies above, the tree canopies, and finally the earth where the blood trail ends.

Aaand sorry, no more rolling :D Take 10 Perception +6 = 16

Thinking something might be afoul, he tries to detect a presence of abnormal magical energies.
casting Detect Magic


ALL OF THEM!!! Goblin 20 Grandmaster DM/10 Charismatic Salesman/10 College Professer/4 Average Lad/6 King

Raulzig:
You search around the sky trees and back to your surroundings you do not notice anything in the sky's but can see about 60ft south what appears to be a cart or caravan. Detect magic: you do notice a small magic (Evocation) presence emanating from further towards the cart/caravan.


Male Half-Orc Wild Rager 2/Witch Hunter Inquisitor1 HP: 42/42 48/48 raging AC18/12/16-2 for Rage , F9/R4/W6+2 Fort/Will while raging Perception: +7, Init:+2

Perception search1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14


Male Human (Vudrani) Cleric (Evangelist) 1

Perception - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


Male Elf Ranger 1

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

101 to 150 of 2,601 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Wareagles Legacy of fire All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.