Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Kingdom Building for Beginners (Inactive)

Game Master robertness


101 to 150 of 620 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Female Human Inquisitor/1

Seeing Andarr’s blade mercilessly cut the bandit leader down, Najara’s eyes widened into a heated glare cast in the reckless druid’s direction. Why was no one abiding to the plan they had all agreed upon? ”Andarr, wait! We wanted him alive. The information he holds is vital to the long term survival of this post. Can you stabilize him?”

And with one crisis before her, another presents itself in the distance. One of the bandits was fleeing the scene, or at least his horse was determined to. He could not be allowed to escape or they would lose future advantage. Najara closed her eyes momentarily and whispered a prayer to Abadar beseeching her patron for the necessary speed to catch her quarry. ”If you can help it, don’t let him die, Oleg. We need him to kill the root of your bandit troubles once and for all.”, she requested of the man before sprinting off with an uncanny haste.

OOC:
Najara will cast Expedition Retreat and chase after the fleeing bandit via the most direct route.


Male Human (Shoanti) Druid (Lion Shaman) 1

Sorry, had to go to work... roll to confirm crit (one of the few times you don't want to actually confirm it... Sigh):

Roll to confirm critical: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Thank god not confirmed!


Najara runs after the retreating bandit. Amazingly, she closes most of the distance between her and the fleeing horse. The bandit is so intent on trying to control his mount that he doesn't notice his pursuer.

Najara:
Can't update the map at work. I think normal move + the spell can put you 2 squares away. Since the spell was cast as a standard action, that takes your turn. But since it lasts a minute, you'll catch up with the horse in a round or two.

"Don't let this die, she says," Oleg says and spits. But the trader bends down and starts tending to the bandit's wounds. Heal (First Aid) DC15 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21 Happs' wounds are stabilized.

Up next: Vivian, Shix, Gordom, Firemane, bandits


female Human Rogue (1)-AC 16 FF 12-Ini+3-BaB+0 (+3 ranged)- Ref+5 Fort +1 Will+2 -

Vivian had to think and act quick.... Dashing to the house could be risky, as the bandit would probaly shoot his bow at her.
On the other hand, Svetlana's life was endangered too.

Well, no one told that an adventurer's life was easy, and maybe the horse would have the good idea to rear or move at the right moment.
Maybe not.
Nevermind.

Be quick or be dead.

Vivian decided to run, trying to zig zag or at least to use whatever furniture was on her way to get a little cover from the incoming arrow

Spoiler:
could I use my acrobatic skills to jump over something or to use anything as a cover on my way to the inside of the house?


Vivian dodges, weaves, and crouches as she makes her way to the house.

For Vivian:
Go ahead and make an Acrobatics roll. I'll grant an AC bonus against a ranged shot based on how well you roll. (DC >10 gets +1 AC, >15 +2, etc.)

Up next: Shix, Gordom, Firemane, bandits.

Grand Lodge

Male Gnome Elemental Sorceror 1 (HP 2/7)

Shix is going after the bandit in the house.

A double move, it should put me at 15,20


Male Human Ranger/1; HP 9/11; AC 15/12/13; Init +2

Gordom rushes over to get a clear shot at the bandit outside the post. He takes a deep breadth, takes aim, and lets another arrow fly.

Attack:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 241d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

The arrow strikes true, but doesn't appear to hit anything vital.
I hope that will be enough, he thinks to himself.

OOC for Robertness:
I hope I'm not stealing your thunder by assuming that a 24 hits. At least I didn't roll max damage this time, although I blame you for jinxing it. Also, I wasn't sure if I was actually on the platform or not. If I am and I need to make an acrobatics check to get a clear shot from off of the platform without taking damage, here it is: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10


I have a bunch to cover in this post, so please bear with me.

Juwwem, Shix, Vivian, and Firemane have all run into the house and are confronting Rolo, but none of had a chance to attack before Rolo can act.

Gordom realizes that if he wants to hit the bandit outside the stockade, his best shot is from on the platform. Check out where I have you on the map. The platform is built to provide a clear line of sight to people outside the wall. Gordom's arrow finds its mark hitting the bandit in the shoulder.

Bandits' turn.
Rolo looks from his search for Svetlana and sees a snarling cougar staring him in the face. "Yarr! He screams as he swings his short sword at the great cat. Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 Damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 Rolo's sword arm is trembling and he misses.

The bandit that Gordom just wounded decides that his horse probably knows best and rides off the map with Najara and two other horses following. I'm going to keep him at the bottom of the map just to remind myself that he's still active and being chased.

That leaves one bandit remaining in the courtyard with a bow at the ready. He shoots at Andarr Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14 Damage 1d8 ⇒ 3 The druid dodges the shot.

Updated map.

You all get to act before the bandits and Oleg has his hands full with Happs, so I'm not going to be picky about PCs taking their turns in initiative order.


Male Human Ranger/1; HP 9/11; AC 15/12/13; Init +2

As the bandit rides off, Gordom takes aim one more time.

Attack:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 191d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

This arrow joins the last, and this time it looks more effective.
"Najara, see if you can stop his horse. We don't want it to alert the others. I can calm it down, just keep it from escaping."


The bandit slumps unconscious over the horse's withers. Feeling the dead weight on her shoulders, the palomino filly slows to a walk.


Male Human (Shoanti) Druid (Lion Shaman) 1

Looking around, Andarr sees the bandits dropping like flies, and nods in approval.

"A job well done, no doubt. Firemane will easily dispatch the last of this vermin, I'm sure. As for you!" He turns to the bandit that just shot and missed him by half a mile. "Did you not just see your boss drop? Do you really want to follow him? No matter! I shall oblige you then!"

ooc: I charge the bandit that shot at me. Firemane does a full attack on the bandit he is adjacent to.

Attack rolls:
F Bite Attack 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
F 1st claw 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
F 2nd claw 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Andar's attack roll: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Damage rolls:
Andarr 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
F bite 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
F claw 1 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
F claw 2 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Grand Lodge

Male Gnome Elemental Sorceror 1 (HP 2/7)

After hearing the very large, angry, and probably tasty kitty and not wanting to get in its way he goes back out the door ending next to the fire pit. He then launches a ray of fire at the bandit next to the table.

Ray of fire: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 71d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 vs. touch AC.


Male Gnome Earth Oracle AC18, F+2,R+2,W+3, Init+2

Juwwem is startled by the appearance of Firemane who rushes past him and attacks Rolo in Oleg's and Svetlana's bedchamber. He must see reason now and drop his weapon! Juwwem thinks as he enters the bedchamber, mace and shield ready.

He addresses Rolo:
"Rolo, caa du naycuh syh. Oui'na vneahtc ryja paah tavaydat. Tnub ouin faybuh yht oui sekrd oad meja."

If you understand Terran:

"Rolo, see to reason man. You're friends have been defeated. Drop your weapon and you might yet live."

OOC:

5ft step to (18,18).
Juwwem attempts to persuade Rolo to give up, although Rolo probably doesn't understand him, Juwwem will try anyway.

Diplomacy roll: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10


Andarr swings at the bandit in the courtyard and scores a heavy blow. The bandit sees Shix cast the spell and leaps over the fiery ray at the last second.

Firemane tries to attack Rolo, but the desperate bandit dodges his attacks. Then Juwwem walks up to Rolo and addresses him in a tongue that sounds like gravel being shaken in a pot. "Madness, this is madness," Rolo says, but it doesn't look like he's ready to stop fighting.


female Human Rogue (1)-AC 16 FF 12-Ini+3-BaB+0 (+3 ranged)- Ref+5 Fort +1 Will+2 -

Meanwhile, Vivian seeks a way to interpose herself between Rolo and Svetlana.

Come on Rolo.... There is enough blood spilling on the floor today, isn't it? Think about it: if you reach Svetlana and take her hostage- and that will be REALLY hard to turn your back and try to outrun a big cat first- what will happen then? If you harm her, or worse kill her, we will have no choice but to close the doors and to let her husband have his way with you.
And I guess it will be a gruesome, long and painful death. There is so many ways to die, believe me because I've seen a few in the Temple of the Lady of the Grave... Won't you prefer to die at old age, in your bed, with someone caring for you holding your hand?
Look, i'm putting my sword back in its sheath.

Please do the same. Answer a few questions about your group, and ride away a free, living man, ready to learn from his mistakes and to go far, far away, never to return. Doesn't it sound better than a cold, hard, anonymous grave? There's a question YOU need to ask yourself, Rollo, a question you must answer yourself truthfully: "Do I long so much for eternal rest in the Grave Gardens?" A hand is extended to you, an helpful hand if not a friendly one. Please do yourself a favor and seize this opportunity.

Spoiler:
while talking, Vivian tries to see if there is a way to pass besides Rolo from the inside of the house, so he couldn't run to Svetlana. If not, the young rogue will get out once again and run until she spots Svetlana in a room, helping our gracefull host out through a window (hope she's not upstairs, if there is an upstairs). PLease notice that Vivian tries to keep her voice levelled, and doesn't want to appear threatening: more a friendly request, an appeal to reason. THat's why she sheats her sword. She's buying time by talking too....Diplomacy roll 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Rolo Will check 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Rolo drops his weapon and falls to his knees. "Y-yes, ma'am. J-j-just keep this cat away from me,"


Male Human (Shoanti) Druid (Lion Shaman) 1

While fighting the last conscious bandit, Andar speaks:

"My cat has probably eaten your companion by now... That's what he gets for threatening an innocent woman with rape. Your boss is bleeding out on the ground, courtesy of my scimitar. Your other friend, over there" He nods towards the bandit slumped on his horse - "Has turned into a pincushion, courtesy of my friend on the wall... If you surrender, I promise your death will be clean, a single blow to the neck. You won't feel a thing. Trust me when I tell you if my cat gets to you, you'll feel a lot more pain than that!"

If you're not picky about initiative order, and the others are still inside, then I guess I'll keep attacking. I assume (hope?) Firemane sort of understands the situation when Rolo drops his weapons, and comes back outside. In that case I'd expect the cat to do double moves to get closer to my current target (probably will take it more than one round), and thereafter if possible do a single move action and then attack with a bite. Anyway, I keep fighting:

Attack roll 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Damage roll 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


Andarr did act twice before his opponent got to act, but I'll let the attack roll be the Attack of Opportunity that his running away would trigger. ;)

"Oh, crap," the bandit mutters and runs for the stockade at full speed. He makes it through the gate before any of the heroes can react.

Grand Lodge

Male Gnome Elemental Sorceror 1 (HP 2/7)

on his turn if no one is near the bandit running away Shix will move after him and use Elemental ray. if the bandit is within range. (30ft)

Elemental Ray:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 221d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


The diminutive sorcerer points at the retreating bandit and flames leap from his fingers and catch the bandit in the back. "Bugger all," the bandit mutters as he keeps running. One more blow like the one from Andarr's scimitar or Shix's fire should stop him from running.

I hope the foul mouthed bandit doesn't offend. I'm sort of testing the limits of the forum's censor.


Male Human Ranger/1; HP 9/11; AC 15/12/13; Init +2

Sprinting from the palisade, Gordom does a leaps towards the bandit, hoping to keep him from escaping,

grapple attempt:
acrobatics check1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
combat maneuver attempt1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
This should provoke an attack of opportunity


AOO to Hit Gordom 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11 Damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

The bandit draws his sword and tries to hit Gordom, but misses. Gordom has his arms wrapped around the bandit.

I think Andarr and Najara are the only characters outside who can act before the bandit can.


Male Human (Shoanti) Druid (Lion Shaman) 1

ooc: Mmm... Ok. He seems to want to hit Gordom. I charge the grappled bandit then!

Attack Roll (remember the bandit has -4 Dexterity due to being grappled) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Damage Roll 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Kicking up a dust, Andar sees Gordom restraining the bandit to keep him from getting away. "Very good Gordom! Now keep him still just a second. This'll be over in one minute..." says Andarr, kicking up a dust cloud as he charges the bandit, aiming for his neck with a swing of his scimitar.


Andarr slices the bandit with his scimitar and the bandit goes limp in Gordom's grip.

Najara gets the horses under control and brings them back to the stockade.

The bandit on the horse is dead. Happs is alive but unconscious, Rolo has surrendered, the bandit in Gordom's arms is dying. The other bandits have succumbed to their wounds. I'm playing a little loose on the rules for unconsciousness and death. I think you all have enough prisoners to keep things interesting without turning this into a prison life documentary.

This combat is concluded. For the combat and roleplaying leading up to it each character earns 200 Experience.


I hope this doesn't wind up being a double post.

Andarr slices the bandit's throat with his scimitar and his body goes limp in Gordom's arms.

Najara gets the horses under control and brings them back to the stockade. The bandit on the horse is dead. Happs is unconscious, Rolo has surrendered, the bandit in Gordom's arms is dying. The other bandits have succumbed to their wounds. This is playing a little loose with the rules for injury and death, but I think you have enough prisoners to keep things interesting without turning this into a prison documentary.

This combat is over. Experience award per character for combat and roleplay ahead of combat: 200 Experience Points.


Male Human (Shoanti) Druid (Lion Shaman) 1

"Well... I like it when a plan comes together. Or not. Let me finish this scum" he points to the unconscious bandit in Gordom's arms. "And then we can finish the others. Their leader is stable apparently. We should dig a mass shallow grave for them, before their bodies start to stink... After stripping them of their equipment of course."

When the group comes together, Andar speaks: "I don't know what your opinion is on this matter, but where I come from, there are only two punishments... Exile or death. This scum made it abundantly clear they were willing to rape and torture women, and they've only kept Oleg and Svetlana alive because they extorted money from them. The charter mentions that we are free to deal with banditry as we see fit. I propose we execute all the underlings that are still alive. We then question their leader..." Andar puts up his hands, as if to ward off opposition. "And by that I do not mean torture him. Just try to wring information out of him with intimidation and trickery or diplomacy... And then execute him in a humane way. I'll do the honors if no one else wants to. If the majority of the groups disagrees with my methods, I will of course abide by their decision."

Andar then remains silent, waiting for other points of view.

"Oh, and after that, I suggest we rest, heal up, and tomorrow we can backtrack to where these bandits come from... Or start exploring the region. But I think dealing with the woman Oleg mentioned quickly would be a good idea, we can save the exploration for after that."

ooc: I think we should give some of the bandit's equipments to Oleg... After all, he suffered enough through this.
By the way, what stuff were they carrying? :P


Male Human Ranger/1; HP 9/11; AC 15/12/13; Init +2

The anger is plain on Gordom's face as it has been since he had to keep Andaar from executing a helpless man. The words are obviously forced, coming all at once followed by a long pause only for another few to be forced out, as the effort of self control has Gordom shaking in his seat.
"I've seen no indication that they meant to rape or torture anyone. Going after Svetlana may have simply been a ploy to get the least threatening among us as a hostage for negotiation. As for what land you come from it sounds like a barbaric place I hope never to find myself in. The fate of these men is, as you say, in our hands and I will not have their lives treated as inconsequential. To simply behead them in the yard would not be bringing law to this land, but simply replacing one form of oppression with another. I will be no part of it."


Male Gnome Earth Oracle AC18, F+2,R+2,W+3, Init+2

With Rolo surrendering, Juwwem relaxes:

"Good choice Rolo, now I suggest you keep up cooperating for I have a feeling that some of our companions will not be as forgiving as lady Vivian here and myself."

Juwwem picks up Rolo's weapon and gives Vivian an approving nod. He then prods Rolo to make him move outside.

"Svetlana, you can come out now. Stay near lady Vivian, she'll make sure you're safe."

Outside Juwwem is shocked by the clash of cultures as portrayed by Andarr and Gordom's words and actions. While he understands both their points, and to a degree certainly approves of Andarr's, Juwwem tries to keep the peace.

"Andarr, your words are wise and certainly make sense. You have proven to be an honourable man and obviously aren't afraid to take responsibilities. But I think Gordom has a fair point about replacing one oppressor with another. Don't mistake my words: I dislike bloodshed but I will not vote against proper punishment if so deserved. And that is something that we should discuss first. I hope you agree that our captives should have a chance to speak for themselves."


Male Human (Shoanti) Druid (Lion Shaman) 1

Andarr seems surprised at Gordom's reaction.

"They never meant to rape or torture anyone? Did you not hear that Happs say that he would have fun beating Najara, but only AFTER she'd had to watch them have their "fun" with Svetlana first? I would think that qualifies as a threat..." Andarr shrugs.

"I also do not understand why you offer mercy to people that have been racketeering our hosts for spirits know how many months. You are an awfullty lenient person, and a good man, but you would do well to remember that not everyone has the same moral fiber you possess - simply think of what would be happening right now had they defeated us. Because if you think they'd be having the same argument, you are sorely mistaken."

"You also speak of oppression. I simply do not understand what oppression has to do with anything. Crime deserves punishment, regardless of how you judge my culture to be barbaric or not."

Turning to Juwwem: "Oh, as I said. I won't execute them if it's not the will of a majority of us. I certainly will keep an eye on them though. I thought the idea was to keep the leader alive, and interrogate him, not to act as wardens of a non-existent jail. I know for one I am not going to stabilize every bandit or enemy we meet in the hope of having them delivered to a far-off and hypothetical prison cell."

Ooc:
: When we do get around to questioning them, my thoughts on the matter are:
- Where is your leader (the woman Oleg spoke about)
- How to we reach her
- How many other bandits are there
- When are you expected back
- What defenses/guards does your outpost have
- How to best evade them


Male Human Ranger/1; HP 9/11; AC 15/12/13; Init +2

Gordom is calming down, but still holding his ground.

"I'm not saying these men are not bad men; not evil men. But they are still men and their lives should not be taken from them so hastily. This is no longer the heat of battle where the imminent threat of danger necessitates and makes legitimate the use of deadly force. To simply bind them and slit their throats now, while they are bound and helpless, would hardly be better than murder."
"They should face punishment for their crimes, and if that punishment is death then so be it, but that punishment should come from a just source. I say we should make a decision now; that we remain under the law of Restov and the bandits should be punished under Restov's law or that we are forming a new governance and that we should lay a new and just foundation here. Either way, if execution should be the answer than they should at least be given last Rites and a burial."
"These inconveniences of civilized society are what shall keep us from being simple brigands ourselves. We must never forget that all life is precious and must never be taken without cause..."

Gordom pauses and with his final words all anger seems to have left him and he now looks only drained and tired.


Male Human (Shoanti) Druid (Lion Shaman) 1

Andar unrolls the charter and starts reading from it:

"The punishment for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by sword and rope."

He slowly rolls the scroll back, and tucks it in his backpack.

"This IS the law in Restov. I never suggested gutting them like animals, simply beheading them in a humane and swift way for their crimes. These are not innocent people. How many lives did THEY take? How many women did they rape? The moment they chose to steal and murder instead of living like honest men, they knew their lives were forfeit the moment they encountered a patrol."

Andar slowly walks away, shaking his head. He then whistles, calling Firemane back, and tends to the feline's wounds.

ooc: How many hps did Firemane lose?


Female Human Inquisitor/1

Propelled forward by the power of her faith, Najara easily closed the distance between her and the fleeing horse just before an arrow felled its rider. The lawwoman slowed her pace to a light jog as she came up cautiously alongside the flighty beast and took the reins. ”Easy there. Easy.”, she spoke in a soothing tone whilst commanding the animal with a firm tug in the opposite direction, ”I would see you to a new purpose and new master. You’re far to beautiful to set lose into the wilds. And there’s a promise of fresh oats I assure you.” Najara patted her new partner softly on the neck as she led it back towards the fort.

Having rejoined the group, Najara is pleased to find that the group had achieved their stated objectives despite having jettisoned any semblance of a plan mid-execution. The inquisitor shoved the fallen bandit from the saddle causing the lifeless body to drop unceremoniously to ground. Spending the next half hour, she lined up and organized the dead in the yard for cataloging purposes. The brewing argument is quick to catch her attention.

”I must stand with Andarr in this decision. Our charter is clear and empowers us to put an end to the banditry and deal out the requisite punishment. Oleg and Svetlana have already bore witness to their past crimes. The law is quite clear and as an acolyte of Abadar the True and Just, I must see it fulfilled. Nevertheless, to calm any concerns you may have for mercy, there is room for some leniency should they provide useful information. But I fear most of these miscreants will prove most uncooperative.”, she stated resolutely, ”Gordom, think of the practicality of what you suggest. We are far from the nearest authorities equipped to deal with these thugs who would most likely execute them in our place. This region is crawling with villainous scum. Do you plan to transform this trading post into a prison for every criminal encountered? Where do you plan to keep them all? How do you plan to feed them? Are you volunteering to remain behind and watch over them at all hours? There is more important work to be done all throughout this region and we will not always be here. Should their numbers grow beyond your control and should they escape, you risk putting Oleg and Svetlana in harm’s way once more and undoing all that we are meant to strive for here.”


Firemane comes running from the house and sits by Andarr's side. It's obvious he's favoring the flank that got hit by an arrow.

Svetlana comes out of hiding in the store room. She looks wide eyed at the bodies lying in the courtyard. Then she sees Oleg tending to Happs. Svetlana runs to her husband and they embrace. Tears of relief are streaming from the woman's eyes.

Firemane has taken 8 hit points. Najara and Shix took one point each when they got splashed in Happs' alchemist's fire. And that's our post combat party injury report. ;P I'll get the details on any loot they're carrying later tonight. (It's not much.)


Male Human Ranger/1; HP 9/11; AC 15/12/13; Init +2

"I'm sorry for my outburst. I see that what you say makes sense. It just feels so..." Gordom breathes heavily "...wrong, cutting down unarmed men like this. I know we can't keep them here. I know that the crimes they have committed can only bring them death. But if this is the fate that must come to them the least we can do is hear their names and offer them a prayer to the afterlife."
Gordom pauses for awhile, looking at his feet. Nothing father taught me ever prepared me for this. We took life for food, for shelter and for protection. To actually have the life of another man in your hands, to know that your judgment may send him to the grave...There's more to this adventuring than just riding through the wilderness rounding up the badguys.
"I know this may be different for you Najara; I've heard that members of your order are accustomed to passing such judgments. But for a simple trapper like me...I've never had to deal with this before. I agree. We shall execute the bandits as the charter decrees."
Finally, in words barely a whisper"It's so much easier when they are coming at you sword in hand..."

Grand Lodge

Male Gnome Elemental Sorceror 1 (HP 2/7)

Shix remains silent for most of the discussion after the battle, sitting on the bench watching, listening. Eventually he turns to the group and says,"Andar is right of course, the charter clearly states that the punishment for unrepentant banditry is punishable by death, but who is to say that these men are unrepentant? Do they not deserve a chance to atone for the crimes they have done? I say they should have a chance for that at least."


Searching the bandits you discover the following:

Happs is wearing studded leather armor. He carries a composite longbow and a dagger. He also has a flask of alchemist's fire, 35 gold pieces, and a silver pendant shaped like a stag's head.

The other bandits each have a longbow, short sword, and leather armor. Between them they carry coins worth 20 gold pieces.

Each bandit had two days worth of rations.

The horses are in decent shape, but show signs of obvious neglect. They have been ridden hard with a minimal amount of care and affection. The palomino Najara led into the stockade is in the worse shape of all. She was burned but that's just the most recent of many injuries. Scars on her skin show the horse's former rider was overly fond of whip and spur. The filly is very skittish, but Najara's voice appears to calm her.

Najara:
Najara meet Buttercup, Buttercup meet Najara. :) The horse's color and gender were determined when you said you wanted to name your horse Buttercup.

Svetlana and Oleg break their embrace and Svetlana pushes Oleg towards the closest adventurer. "Tell them already!" She shouts at her husband as she gives him a final shove.

"Thank you, strangers," Oleg says as he bows stiffly. "Svetlana and I owe you our lives. You're always welcome to stay with us. And I'll give you the best prices possible for whatever you bring out of the wild."


Male Gnome Earth Oracle AC18, F+2,R+2,W+3, Init+2

With everybody calmed down again, Juwwem is glad to see Najara return with the horse. For all her sterness, Najara apparently has a kind enough touch to calm a frightened horse... I didn't expect that. Juwwem stares at the Inquisitor patting the animal. His thoughts are disrupted by their hosts' thankful words.

"You are most welcome. As we have stated before, we have been asked to prevent and apparently even punish banditry in these lands. Let us sit aside while some of my companions will find out if, and what kind of, punishments are required. Let us have a drink to calm down and speak about what you know of the region and what we could possibly bring out of the wild for you to buy."

Juwwem tries to take Oleg en Svetlana by the hand and lead them away from the captives.


Male Human (Shoanti) Druid (Lion Shaman) 1

Andar shakes Oleg's hands. "My friend, this is nothing. Rest assured we shall deal with the woman you spoke of as swiftly as we dealth with her toadies. You will be disturbed no longer." He smiles. Patting Firemane, Andar murmurs words of powers, and the great cat's wounds begin to close and mend at incredible speed.

Cure Light Wounds 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Andar examines the amulet, curious about the signification of the stag's head.

Knowledge Nature check 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

"Oleg, do you know anything about this?" He shows the man the amulet. "Happs carried him on his person... And I'm willing to bet it has some sort of signification that evades us."


A quick examination of the stag's head on the necklace indicates that the stag would be a fantastic specimen if it were designed from life. Oleg looks at the necklace and says, "I don't know what it signifies, but the woman has one just like it."

"As for what you can bring out of the wild," Oleg says turning his attention to Juwwem. "Most of our business is with hunters and trappers. We buy pelts from them and sell them tools and such from town. There are also some rare herbs and such out there. I don't know much about herbs, but an old hermit comes by every so often with potions he's brewed with them. We have merchants come from town to buy the furs and deliver trade goods in exchange. I'm sure I can get them to buy whatever you'd be able to sell in town at a fair price."


female Human Rogue (1)-AC 16 FF 12-Ini+3-BaB+0 (+3 ranged)- Ref+5 Fort +1 Will+2 -

meanwhile, Vivian starts to speak with Rollo

Rollo, I want that you understand me well: we need to know all you can say us about your bandit group. We want to know how much you are, if there is some retaliation to fear, how you are equiped and organised, a map of your camp, everything you can give us will weight in the balance! Your boss seems quite bloodthirsty, maybe untrustworthy, and I guess failing to give him back some stolen tribute isn't the safest idea, no? Maybe he doesn't cope well with failure from his fellow bandits? I don't know yet what fate my buddies want your pals to face, but it may be grim.Before the next dawn, there will be more blood spilled, I'm afraid. Banditry isn't very welcome here...and a snitch isn't welcome to his former comrades. I'm willing, really willing to try to help you ... as much as you can help us. So far as I know, Rollo, you were JUST obeying orders, and Svetlana suffered no harm, because you had sense enough to stop fighting for a lost cause. Here's the deal: you give us as much details as you can on your bandit group, and I'll talk to my friends... My goal is to protect Oleg and Svetlana from future attacks, and if I can spare your life in the process, i'll do it. Between the two of us, I don't care much about the law, just about what is right to do. Be sure we will try to get as much info as we can from your chief too, so don't try to lie to me, to cheat me or to double cross me. Your life, Rollo, your life depends on it. There is still a future for you, it doesn't have to end right here right now.... Maybe you should reconsider your choices in life so far, no? To start back your life far, far away from here, never to return? Of course, we can still dig a sixth grave, Rollo... if only to help you by fooling some of your former "friends" who'd like to check on what happened to you. The grave can be empty, Rollo.. Think about it.


Female Human Inquisitor/1

Surprisingly, the group seemingly came to a consensus much faster than Najara had anticipated. Those who objected to the proposed executions betrayed a kind soul that the inquisitor found enviable if not for their inherent naivety. A world with more of them would certainly need far less of her own talents. But Najara knew that the world was far from perfect and she had plenty of job security to spare.

”This has only just begun. Let’s get to work.”, she eagerly suggested, ”Oleg, I assume you have rope for some proper bindings? We’ll need to secure both the hands and feet. The prisoners also need to be separated before questioning, with guards for escort at all times. Juwwem, you are a healer are you not? Is there anything you can do to revive and prepare these two for a proper interrogation?”

Catching sight of Vivian quietly conversing with the lone bandit still standing caused the gruff woman’s nose to wrinkle. Such an impressionable young girl should not be chatting with such human garbage. In a tone much louder than normal, she requested, ”Shix, can you prepare a last meal for these men?” Hopefully her point drove home and Rollo was aware of immediate fate.


Male Human Ranger/1; HP 9/11; AC 15/12/13; Init +2

Hearing what Oleg said about the woman carrying a similar amulet, Gordom removes it from Happs's body and puts it into a pocket. "If there is any significance to this piece, I guess we'll find out soon."

Trying to address all of the hustle of activity in the camp at once, Gordom speaks to Najara;"I have some rope with me. It's in Boer's saddlebags in the stable. I can go get it in just a moment."

Heading over to where Vivian is speaking with Rolo, Gordom kneels down and speaks calmly and emotionlessly; "Anything you can tell us will only help you, but make no mistake, we don't NEED you. My father was teaching me how to hunt from the day I could walk. A group of men on horseback, no familiarity with the woods, making no effort to cover their tracks? You might as well have paved a road. I spoke against it, and it still doesn't sit right with me, but we are probably going to execute you and your companions. You might as well make one last act of penance before that happens."
So saying, Gordom heads for the stable to fetch the rope he promised Najara.


"Look, Miss," Rolo says to Vivian. "I'd really like to help you, but... There's no way I can say anything while Rolo still breathes. He found us before, he'll find us again."

Sense Motive Vivian and Gordom only:

DC15:
You feel that Rolo isn't concerned for his own safety, but that of another.

Knowledge(Local) DC15:
Now that you've had a chance to look at him, you recognize the bandit leader as Happs Bydon a crude and foul-mouthed man who turned to banditry after he was caught running a protection racket in Restov while also, in theory, serving as a soldier and city guard. He fled the city when he learned that the law was coming
for him, abandoning a wife and two children to suffer the shame of his crimes.

Oleg has plenty of ropes, straps, and twine for securing the trade goods he sends to town. He gladly lets you use as much as you want.


Male Human Ranger/1; HP 9/11; AC 15/12/13; Init +2

Sense Motive:
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

"You can make whatever excuses you please, but it won't change your fate. If you really want this to go another way I suggest you tell us something we can work with. I'll let you think about it"
Is that name supposed to be different? I feel that Rolo wouldn't be worried about finding himself...


Oops! Should have been Happs.

Grand Lodge

Male Gnome Elemental Sorceror 1 (HP 2/7)

Shix would like to cast detect magic and inspect the pendant, along with the other spoils from the bandits.

"While I still think it premature to call this a "last meal", I would be happy to cook something up." Always looking for an excuse to make something new and exciting, he then turns to the concious bandits and says,"So what would like to taste before you taste death?" He says this in a way as if he were asking his favorite customer what they want for lunch.


female Human Rogue (1)-AC 16 FF 12-Ini+3-BaB+0 (+3 ranged)- Ref+5 Fort +1 Will+2 -

sense motive

Spoiler:
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Whispering to Rollo
What do you mean? Should we get rid of your leader first?


"If you're going to kill me, go ahead and get it over with. But please, no more of your jokes about last meals like we were in court or something," Rolo says dejectedly. "That's the kind of game Happs used to play with my little brother. Just, for Gromi's sake make sure Happs dies, too."


female Human Rogue (1)-AC 16 FF 12-Ini+3-BaB+0 (+3 ranged)- Ref+5 Fort +1 Will+2 -

Hey, I don't want to kill you, remember? That last meal joke wasn't tactful, I agree. Is Gromi your little brother? What happened to him?

Vivian shows real concern about Rollo's word


"Yeah, Gromi's my kid brother. Ma and Pa died when we were little so it was just the two of us. Gromi's a sickly little runt and I had to get enough to keep us both fed. I did what I thought I had to and started stealing," Rolo takes a deep breath before continuing. You get the impression that he's not used to saying so much at once.

"This was back in Restov. Happs was a soldier in the guard back then. He caught me breaking into a store one night. He knew who I was. He knew all about Gromi. He didn't threaten to throw me in jail, but said he'd plant the stolen goods on Gromi and lock him away. Gromi wouldn't last a week in jail. I've been working for Happs ever since."

101 to 150 of 620 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Kingdom Building for Beginners Game All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.