Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Jaye's Carrion Crown

Game Master Jason Sonia

The Carrion Crown Adventure Path... with a twist.


2,101 to 2,150 of 4,805 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>
Cheliax

Kendra says, "Yes, the warden and his wife lived on the grounds. I don't believe, however, she made regular trip into the prison itself. I know she died in the fire. I'm not sure how it came to pass, however."


Male Varisian (Ustalavic) Archivist 5; hp 33/33; AC 16; TAC 12; FF 14; F +2; R +6; W +3; Perc +5; Init +2

"Yes, she died in the fire as well, and yes, her name was on the statue. Oh, and yes, her name did start with a V, as did, if I recall correctly, those of two of the guards." Vaghn sighs. "We simply do not have enough data to come to any reasonable conclusions. I concur that a visit to the statue to see if the message has been expanded upon is in order, however."


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

Alexa listens to Kendra's response and then silently thinks about her answer.
It still strikes me as strange. Why use necromantic magic to deface the statue and write a "V". Either someone is seeking to warn the town, or to threaten the town. The question is who and why. My guess is that the warden's poor wife is somehow tied into this, I just do not know how.

Cheliax

Kendra raises an eyebrow and replies, "But why the warden's wife? What does she have to do with my father or these cultists we believe killed him?"


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline pats Kendra's hand,

"That is what we shall endeavor to uncover on the morrow..." She gives Kendra a friendly smile.

"So, an inspection of the statue on the way through to the ruins then?" Madeline asks, then adds. "Though, if some one or something is continuing to deface the monument, then perhaps a watch should also be kept there?" She suggests.


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

I do not have the best night vision, but have no problem sleeping under the stars, I have spend several years doing just that in the forests to the north. I will keep watch if someone else wishes to join me.


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline's face displays a little 'mu' of distaste at Alexa's idea, though she thinks upon the matter for a moment longer before replying.

"I think tonight we should all get some good rest here as well as seeing to Mistress Kendra's welfare." Madeline explains. "On the morrow, once we've again examined the monument, then I think we should talk of planning our surveillance. After, of course, another crack at the ruins." She offers Alexa a smile to show solidarity with the other woman and that she indeed liked the idea, though not perhaps the more 'rustic' implications.

Smith, as always, stands silently where ever he's been last directed to stand. Watching over Madeline and Kendra.

Cheliax

Kendra says, "Well my friends, I think I'm going to retire. I'll see you each in the morning. Sleep well." With that, Kendra yawns and stretches. Then, she shuffles upstairs, Tharnik in tow.


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline will escort and help Kendra to her room before, (Depending on if any one wishes further conversation?) herself wishing every one a good evening and retiring so as to be fresh and rested come the new day.

Cheliax

Up to you guys.


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

If anyone has anything else to say about this discussion, we can always retcon it. I say move on to morning.

Alexa shrugs when nobody else shows interest in watching the monument.

Well, then I think an early night is probably good as we had a rather eventful day and will likely have another on the morrow.

I head to bed.


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

Whew! 15 posts since yesterday afternoon. Is that some kind of record? ;-) I wanted to add more to the conversation, so I will do a little retcon, but I am otherwise ready to move on to tomorrow as well.

Vaghn der Grafft wrote:
"Yes, her name was on the statue. Oh, and yes, her name did start with a V, as did, if I recall correctly, those of two of the guards." Vaghn sighs. "We simply do not have enough data to come to any reasonable conclusions."

Valen face wrinkles in a skeptical look. "Dead townsfolk are rising from their graves; and the town sheriff has a possessed rant about 'having her no matter what.' The last trip to the prison turns up a ritual involving the soul of the warden; and now his statue bears vandalizing with the first letter of his wife's name. Begging pardon, but I think we've moved beyond coincidences...something is happening at that prison and the warden's soul has got something to do with it. By Pharasma's grace we need to find out what is causing it soon."

He pushes his fist into his other hand to emphasize the point. As if suddenly realizing his blunt statement, Valen turns a shade of red.
"Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude," he says quietly.


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4
Alexa Grunwald wrote:
Alexa shrugs when nobody else shows interest in watching the monument.

Slightly embarassed by his previous outburst, Valen tries to get Alexa's attention once everyone adjorns for the night.

"Alexa, I agree with Madeline's assesment that we should survey the monument for more vandalism and would be willing to accompany you on such a task. My vision is somewhat better in darkness, so between Spark and myself maybe we can see spot something. I understand that after the day's events, rest is needed, so perhaps tomorrow evening we should look to do the monument watch?"


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

After seeing the other's responses, Alexa nods.

That sounds reasonable. Perhaps we can ask the sheriff to post some men near the monument or to have somebody with a home nearby keep an eye on it. As you have said Valen, there are just too many coincidences. While I may not be the best at solving problems, I am quite good at recognizing them and this combination of events reeks of someone up to no good. With that damn tower [the Gallowspire] to the south, I have no doubt that followers of the horrid undead tyrant are involved somehow.

Cheliax

After a somewhat heated, but inquisitive discussion, each of you retire to your rooms. Tharnik, for his part, offers to keep the first wacth, suggesting that Creel or Vaghn meet him early in the morning - a few hours after midnight - to take their turn.

The night is uneventful and each of you wake to the sound of rolling thunder in the distance. The pitter-patter of rain, with the occasional gust of wind, welcomes in a grey morning. The weather is cold, but not unseasonably so.

All of you are well rest. Each of you gain 2 HP and may prepare arcane and divine spells as normal. I'll assume you do so in your rooms, so that we might move on to the day.

Once Kendra is up, she heads downstairs and begins to prepare coffee and a plate of biscuits. She's dressed in a set of rugged leathers, with a warm jacket and scarf. She has her wand tucked into her belt and a small pack, as well. Tharnik, a half an hour later, joins her. He, too, is dressed in more rugged wear and the pack beside him suggests an extended day.

Madeline, as she is want to do, wanders in - Smith on her arm - to aid Kendra as well.


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

Alexa had awakened early and spent the morning on the porch, out of the rain as best she could, communing with nature and watching the natural flow of the world on this grey day.

When she begins to hear the sound of activity inside, she comes back in to join the others for breakfast.

Another beautiful Ustalav day. Grey and rainy. . . . So, are we all ready to see what type of horrors the prison has prepared for us this day?

Cheliax

Kendra yawns and peaks her head out from the kitchen. She says, "Aren't we going to check on that statue, first?"


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline, offering a plate of the morning victuals to Alexa as she enters from the veranda nods and smiles to the other woman. She then nods to Kendra's question.

"Indeed, viewing the monument to the fallen and thence to the ruins." A small quick creases Madeline's lisp, "Perhaps, should we need to save time, we should begin planning to spend the night camping nearer said ruins?" She offers as a suggestion. Smith assist people in sitting, helping to serve and other menial tasks around the breakfast table, though as usual his presence remains in the back ground.


stats:
Hp 36/36 AC&ffac 15, +2 shield +2 cbt ex. Tou ac 10+2 cbt ex. 17cmd F+7 R+4 W+6
Human. Mixed heritage. Mutt from a port city. Warrior of the Holy Light 3AD

Before retiring. LOH 1d6 ⇒ 3. And that gets me back to full. Ready to be chopped up again.

Whistling a fragment of a marching song Creel arrives for breakfast.
"I don't think we will need to do that Madeline. It would save a little time but in return for these stout walls around me in the night I will not begrudge the shoe leather. Eat hearty my friends, it could be a long day."

Ready to hit the cobbles.


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

Valen awakens and makes himself ready. He goes about his morning ritual to Pharasma - a mournful fragment of song he heard in his near coma state yesterday sticks with him.

He prepares his equipment, and then makes his way to the kitchen. "Good morn, all." He turns towards Kendra with a doctorly tone, adding,"How are the burns this morning? Any irritation or ill effects," before going about having breakfast.

Between bites, he nods and mutters "Aye, monument first,"concuring with the idea of going to check on statue.

His final bit of details before they head off is to give Vaughn his CLW potion, since he used his yesterday to aid Kendra. "Best you keep that at hand for another such emergency, Herr Vaughn. I can manage without and was keeping it for such emergencies - at least if I am disabled you should have a means to survive or aid another."


Male Varisian (Ustalavic) Archivist 5; hp 33/33; AC 16; TAC 12; FF 14; F +2; R +6; W +3; Perc +5; Init +2

Vaghn, dressed in his own adventuring leathers, smiles when he sees Kendra. "Truly your father's daughter," he murmurs to himself.

When Valen hands him the potion, Vaghn accepts and says, "Thank you, friend. May this allow us to delay our meeting with your Lady another day."

"Shall we make our way to the river, then, and see if our vandal returned during the night?"


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Finishing her breakfast and after clearing away the tables plates Madeline adjusts the scarf that keeps her midnight tresses in check and nods,

Indeed, though is there some where about in town on our way where we can perchance buy more oil flasks? I feel like meeting those bugs with more fire this time around." Madeline replies.


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

"Wasn't there a general store near the town hall? Maybe I could detour there briefly to retrieve such supplies, if it will prove helpful..."Valen leaves the suggestion hestitantly and with a shrug - clearly unsure that he wants to miss seeing the monument.


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline nods, "A sound idea then? Might we pool our resources and purchase a few extra flasks of oil?" She suggests, even as she reaches into her coat pocket to bring out her pouch containing her funds and begins to place coins upon the table.

"How much do people think oil should be worth?" She asks.

Madeline has about 100 Gp available in funds for the purchasing of extra stuff.


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

Oil is always useful, especially if we meet any more of those swarms of bugs you were talking about. Bugs hate fire.

Not sure how much oil you want, but 100 gp should get enough to burn a mid-sized castle to the ground.


stats:
Hp 36/36 AC&ffac 15, +2 shield +2 cbt ex. Tou ac 10+2 cbt ex. 17cmd F+7 R+4 W+6
Human. Mixed heritage. Mutt from a port city. Warrior of the Holy Light 3AD

"I don't see a problem with adding a small shopping trip after seeing the statue."

100 soldiers! Seesh you are loaded. I recommend 2-3 flasks of oil, 2 torches and 2 tindertwigs per person. Creel has 3 torches but could use some oil if you are offering.


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline is a well financed young woman.


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

So, you are saying that she has nice assets?


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

*Arches eyebrow*


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4
Alexa Grunwald wrote:
So, you are saying that she has nice assets?

LOL! Considering the run-down village Valen's from, he'd probably think she's definetly a noblewoman or royalty for that matter! If we are looking for fire, that should be good.

Seeing Madeline pulling the bag and extracting so many gold crowns causes Valen's eyes to grow wide in amazement. He gulps hard to clear his throat,"I-I believe Master Creel has suggested several flask for each us, plus torches and special matches..." his eyes seem to unfocus in thought and then answers very precisely: "Perhaps 20 gold crowns."

Cheliax

Kendra says, "Let's run down to the river and check the statue first. That way, if there has been a change, we can let the sheriff while we're in town - since the town jail is practically next to the shop. Then, we'll all head north for the prison. Sound good?"

Kendra smiles, awaiting your answer.

At the statue:
The statue is gray in the early morning light, with a light coating of dew all about it base. Three letters - V - E - S - are painted on the base in a reddish-brown liquid. A small pool of this reddish-brown liquid is pooled at the base near the names of the victims of the prison fire.


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline slides the coins back into her pouch and sequesters it back within the folds of her great coat. She nods and smiles in agreement with Kendra, standing and finishing off her 'dressing' by buckling her sword about her waist and lifting her tri-corn hat from the stand beside the odor. Smith follows his mistress example, also slinging the maul across his back and donning his own hat. With the group they walk calmly but briskly to the monument.


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

We head down to the statue, once there:

Well, how many of the guard's names started with VES? Seems that someone is referencing the warden's wife. The question is who and why?


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline nods,

"Would this some how be involved in...necromancy?" She asks, saying the last word in a whisper so as not to be over heard by others outside the group might not hear. Madeline looks around for the General Store, trying to appear 'nonchalant' as the group discusses their latest piece of information.

Cheliax

Kendra turns to Madeline and says, "It would seems as such, would it not?"


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline blushes slightly under Kendra's gaze,

"Forgive me. What I was trying to infer is, does any one had any ideas as to what this action might be about..." She glances to the others. "The provinces of Alkenstar are not as troubled by such practices..." Her words stumble to a halt as Madeline realizes her words might be taken as more insulting that explanatory.

"So! We have three letters in how many days?" She asks, "Time to get our supplies and delve into said ruins a tad faster, yes?"

Madeline changes the subject slightly and indicates every one should, perhaps, move on to the general store.

As if sensing his Mistress discomfort, Smith steps closer. The leather of his gloves creaking as his hands ball into fists.


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

I cast Detect Magic on the letters to confirm that whatever was done here does indeed involve necromantic magic as the others have indicated.

Yes, this is so wrong. It is as though someone is ripping the soul from nature. Whatever is doing this must be stopped.


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline arches an eyebrow at Alexa's words, though her slight frown might indicate she is giving thought to the ideas behind said statement.

Madeline looks at the ground around the base if the statue. (I'm pretty sure our quest for tracks came up empty the last time this happened..)

Cheliax

Madeline:
I need either a Perception or Survival skill check (or both) from you.


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

Upon arriving at the statue and seeing the scrawled letters, Valen mutters,"Nine Hells, that can't be good."

He stoops to examine the lettering - going so far as to touch and smell the reddish-brown liquid. Although he suspects what it is, he wants to make sure. As he looks around the statue, he ponders what Alexa and Madeline are discussing about the nature of the act - if it is magical, what kind of spellwork could it be? What did the old monk teach him of such things?

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Knowledge(Aracana): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline:

Spoiler:

Perception:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Survival:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Smith:

Spoiler:

Perception:1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20

Survival:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Cheliax

Alexa:
You spend a few moments scanning the area for magic, but fail to pick up any traces. Something doesn't feel right to you, but there's no active magic present, necromantic or otherwise.

Valen:
You don't notice anything magical in the area nor anything specific about the statue that you could easily identify as arcane. You do notice, however, bits of the reddish-brown fluid trailing off to the south. And yes, it smells like blood.

Madeline:
You notice the reddish-brown liquid is definitely blood. You also notice that it trails off to the south. Smith notices the same thing.

In the future, please give Smith commands in character to do things like search and such. If he's going to do something, tell him to. Don't just use him to make additional rolls (combat, skill, or otherwise). In fact, you haven't posted "as Smith" in quite some time. Just something to consider.


TheReplacementGM:
*Bows* Sorry about that. I think that I am 'Thinking too far ahead' for the character. Eventually Madeline and Smith will 'Share a link' but that is not now, at the present time in the game. I do try and show that Smith 'feels' emotions from Madeline through their 'summoner' link, but I do understand/remember that at the moment they are more separate than joined.

I shall try and endeavor to create that feel. Much cheers to you and yours.


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

Valen walks around to the south of the statue, his eyes focused on the ground.

"Apologies for stating the obvious, that writing is done in blood. It looks like the pooling started here and trails off in this direction. Unless our culprit's using his own, I think we need to be on the look out for carrion," he states but then pauses and adds,"Or maybe ask the sheriff if anyone's gone missing recently."

He looks up in the morning sun to see if he spots birds circling anywhere close by that might reaffirm that thought."Do we try following it? Or let the Sheriff know and press on to Harrowstone?"


Male Half-Orc Oracle 3 DR 5/Silver AC: 16, Flat-footed 16, Touch 10; HP: 18/31; Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +5

Tharnik follows Valen around and says, "I think the Sheriff should know."


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+6,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline nods at Valen's comments,

"Indeed, this time it seems our vandal has become lax with possibly overconfident that no one seems to be noticing their work." She points out what she and Valen have noted.

"There is residue leading off to the South." She looks at the town in that direction, trying to glean which buildings are there. She looks to Tharnik,

"I vote for following the trail as far as we can. Perhaps it leads out of town? Perhaps not? Getting an idea from whence it came and reporting that to the Sheriff seems like a god idea to me." She glances up at the morning sky,

"Though getting side tracked from our inquiries into the ruins would also not be the done thing." She adds.

Madeline indicates for Smith to search and follow. She stands back and just 'observes' the general vicinity.

How many of the good folk are about this fair morning? Our group is armed and armored, what sort of response if that garnering?

Madeline perception:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


HP: 22 / 33, Init:+1, Perc:+12, Fort:+7,Ref:+3,Will:+4

Smith nods at his mistress' command and tries his best to follow the trail

Perception:1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21

Survival"1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

Alexa nods in agreement.

Yes, here in the town, the authorities should make the investigation. However, out of town at the prison. That is were we need to go. It just seems that is where we must direct our efforts.


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

Vote sounds like two (maybe three assuming Kendra agrees with Tharnik) for telling the Sheriff; one for following it. Kind of waiting on Creel and Vaughn to chime in here.

Valen remains silent, hoping he'll spot something in the direction of the blood trail that might help him decide.

Do you need another perception check, RGM?

2,101 to 2,150 of 4,805 << first < prev | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Jörmungandr's Carrion Crown All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.