Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Jaye's Carrion Crown (Inactive)

Game Master Jason Sonia

The Carrion Crown Adventure Path... with a twist.


1,901 to 1,950 of 4,956 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>

Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

Valen, hopefully seeing that Vaghn is OK, makes his way to Creel and nods at the information. His face takes on a grim resolve - exaggerated somewhat with all the soot and sweat.

His focus now on the dead man, he kneels next to the body - hiding his ministration from the young girl close by. He places a grey cloth over the man's face, and pulls a compact book from his gear. He touches the man upon the forehead and chest as he utters holy words to bless the man. "Pharasma - Perducere ad te anima. Dignam animam potest invenire locum ad maius praemium. Have no fear in the shadow of the spire; Pharasma knows your fate and will bring you peace. The Lady's touch bring your family solace in this moment and may the spiral be ever bright."

With that, he closes the book; mutters something more; and stands. He speaks more softly now, mostly to Creel: "Does anyone who this man is? Does he have any family in the crowd?"

Dark Archive

Alexa:
The town's councilors seem pretty occupied at the moment, both in calming the townsfolk and talking among themselves. They do nod and acknowledge you, however.

Madeline:
You notice Kendra sitting on a bench not far from the town gazebo. Tharnik is standing beside her, attentive, with his hand resting gently on his weapon.


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+7,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline quickly bustles up, obviously happy/relieved that Kendra is safe and sound.

"How fare you? Not too singed?" Madeline asks, trying to make a little light of the rather traumatizing events.


Male Varisian (Ustalavic) Archivist 5; hp 33/33; AC 16; TAC 12; FF 14; F +2; R +6; W +3; Perc +5; Init +2

After seemingly coughing up a lung, Vaghn finally remembers that he has a waterskin on his person and gulps some down to soothe his burning throat. He walks over to Creel and offers a drink while looking down at the old man who did not make it despite his best efforts.

"Another death to be laid at the feet of the Way. Our foe, whatever it is, is getting stronger, but I think it fears us too. I think it knows it is vulnerable; that we can, and will, stop it if it does not distract us." He looks at the paladin. "We need to go to Harrowstone; that is where this trouble is coming from. We need to deal with this before it takes any more innocent lives. If Kendra had... We need to go, the sooner the better."


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

Valen glances at Vaghn as he walks up and hears his words, but seems somewhat inattentive of his declaration - still glancing at the dead man.

"Glad you are alright, Herr Vaghn." He glances at him and Creel, and adds,"If one of you would be so kind, I need your help moving this man off the street. Let's at least get him inside, or perhaps down to the temple for proper burial."

At the mention of Harrowstone,"I've heard of the old prison. It sounds like the source of trouble, then perhaps all of you go ahead. The urgency in your tone tells me any other errands, like Master Tharnik's ailment, will have to wait. However, as a servant of Pharasma, I'll have to join you after I have seen to this man's burial arrangments."

Recalling something, he looks again at Vaghn and Creel, and very subtly points at the man he's been watching earlier. This is Gibbs - but Valen doesn't know it."That man - the one with an angry scowl on his face. Who is he? While everyone else listened, he seemed most apathetic about your earlier entreaties inside."

Dark Archive

After ten minutes of wandering through the injured townsfolk - healing those they can and reassuring those only panicked by the fire - the town councilors collectively approach your group. All of them are visibly shaken, but filled with resolve nonetheless. Their white tunics are stained with soot and ash, and along the edges, wet from the bucket brigade.

One of them, a stunning woman in her early forties, steps forward and says, "I don't believe we've met. I am Shanda Faravan. On behalf of the council, I would like to thank you for risking life and limb to help us. I think, at least to the council, it is clear that your intentions in Ravengro are noble. As a result, we'd like to recognize that."

Shanda slips her hand into a pouch on her belt and produces 5 small silver and bronze badges. She hands the badges to each of you.

"These are symbols of our trust and empower you, at least socially, while you're staying in Ravengro. While they do not grant you the same power Benjan or his deputies have, you'll not be questioned about your activities while on official business unless those activities are obviously evil or otherwise severely questionable. In effect, you are free to do as you will, with our blessing, until such time as we feel the need to revoke that trust."

She lets her words weigh heavily in the air and then, suddenly, smiles to break that silence.

"Let us be done with this haunting in short order. Our town cannot take more of this."


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

Taking a moment to rub the soot from his face, Valen nods and bows at the woman's introduction and explanation.

At the offer of the badge, the cleric's eyes light up in surprise. For a man recently on the fringes of his society, it's a big step. He stares at the object and handles it as if it were holy relic of Pharasma. After a moment of contemplation and surging pride, he responds:
"M-Many thanks for your trust, Lady Faravan. I will do my best to help your town in its time of need." He bows, maybe a bit too much, in gratitute at the honor. He even starts to extend his grimy hand in thanks, but realizes what a mess that would be and embarrassingly just bows again.


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

Alexa takes the token and looks at in her hand realizing that from her nature background this civilized honorary is rather unusual.

Thank you for your trust M'Lady. This haunting is unnatural and throws the world out of balance. I will use all my skills to see that whatever is causing this is ended.


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+7,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline joins Kendra upon the bench, settling wearily upon the seat. Madeline is of course careful not to get any of her sot stain self too close to Kendra's good clothes.

At the presenting of the Town's badges of merit, Madeline does nods and smile in thanks. She absently tucks stray wisps of her hair that have escaped during the fight with the fire back beneath her scarf.

Dark Archive

Madeline:
Kendra smiles at Madeline and then sighs. "I feel as if we have a whole world set against us. Such displays... such vulgar power... I'm unused to it. Thank you for your support."

GM Note; Current Trust Score:
Your group's current Trust Score is 28

Councilor Faravan smiles and Alexa and Valen, offering a simple "You're welcome," as she hands each of you your badge.


Male Varisian (Ustalavic) Archivist 5; hp 33/33; AC 16; TAC 12; FF 14; F +2; R +6; W +3; Perc +5; Init +2

"I... I am honored. Thank you, Councilor."

Trust Score:
Is that good? I am afraid I am unfamiliar with the scale of this mechanic.


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

A lot of the APs seem to have some sort of hero score or victory points or trust score. Seems to be a way of measuring the party's reputation with the community. I assume that higher means more people will like us and help us as necessary. Although I have seen the scores posted by several DMs, I am yet to actually see how they impact the game.


stats:
Hp 36/36 AC&ffac 15, +2 shield +2 cbt ex. Tou ac 10+2 cbt ex. 17cmd F+7 R+4 W+6
Human. Mixed heritage. Mutt from a port city. Warrior of the Holy Light 3AD
TheReplacementGM wrote:

"These are symbols of our trust and empower you, at least socially, while you're staying in Ravengro. While they do not grant you the same power Benjan or his deputies have, you'll not be questioned about your activities while on official business unless those activities are obviously evil or otherwise severely questionable. In effect, you are free to do as you will, with our blessing, until such time as we feel the need to revoke that trust."

She lets her words weigh heavily in the air and then, suddenly, smiles to break that silence.

"Let us be done with this haunting in short order. Our town cannot take more of this."

"We are honored by your trust."

Creel hangs his head, thinking of the man they did not help.

"The trail leads through Harrowstone. Do we have the your permission to enter the ruin?"


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

As the Creel and Alexa speak with Madame Faraven, Valen's eyes wander from Gibbs - hoping that Vaghn can give him clarification on who the man is - back to Kendra chatting with Madeline.

He half listens and awaits confirmation on their trip to Harrowstone, but also adds as he looks around,"Before we make that trip, I'll need to see to the dead gentleman's internment with Father Grimburrow. Perhaps while you all see to getting Lady Kendra home, and then we can meet to investigate this place better."

Dark Archive

"See me home?" Kendra blurts out, all but interrupting Valen.

"After all that has happened, up to and including the murder of my beloved father - which you, yourselves, agree is highly likely - the last thing I want to do is go home and wait for another attack." Kendra, her face reddening, places both hands on her hips and looks at each of you, letting her gaze linger on each of yours before finally settling on the Councilwoman Faravan. For the first time (at least for you Creel, and you, Madeline), Kendra appears to have dried her tears and found her resolve.

Tharnik, for his part, grins.

Councilwoman Faravan watches Kendra for a moment and then nods, patting down the front of her soiled, white tunic as she does.

"If these are your wishes, then, you are free to enter Harrowstone as you will. It is flooded, however, and few go there. Be careful. We'll send word if more comes to pass here."

The other councilors nod in agreement, but say little.

As you finish speaking, Father Grimburrow walks up. He's dressed in dark robes with a dark, grey cape. He wears the holy symbol of Pharasma around his neck. As he comes to a stop before your group, he looks to Valen directly and says, "Cleric Stellori, I presume? I hear you are here to replace Hugo, who so recently passed into the Boneyard. I see you've found Miss Kendra, as well. Good. Perhaps, when you have some free time, you and I could speak? If it's not too much to ask, that is." Then, he smiles and turns toward Councilwoman Faravan. "Councilwoman," he nods, "It seems we've lost another of Pharasma's flock this day. As Mr. Abbney had no relatives here in Ravengro, may I send out word of his passing and begin preparing for his burial?"

Councilwoman Faravan nods and replies, "Yes, of course."

Trust:
The amount of Trust you have determines what resources the townsfolk make available to you, be it physical goods you can buy or books you read.


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

I look to the others:
Well, I have used some of my magic, so I am not fully prepared to go into battle, but I am as prepared as ever if you all wish to head to this Harrowstone place.


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+7,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline, for her part after Kendra's outburst, has a moments withering glare for Valen then she sighs and sags slightly against the seat she is resting upon. At Alexa's words of resting Madeline's eyes flutter a little and she nods,

"Indeed! After the night we've just had even a few hours rest wold be welcome." She picks at her smoke and water stained clothing.

"I had planned on being in clothes more suited to wandering through rough terrain, not tromping through such events in my presentable clothes." She laments, slowly beginning to stand and preparing to return to the Lorrimor estate to rest and refresh before the groups exploration of said edifice.


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

Yipes! Didn't think Kendra was that close by.

Valen's looks as if thunder had struck him when he hears Kendra's voice - all other distractions going by the wayside. He goes to say something, but hesitates. He removes his cap and lowers his head, "M-My apologies for speaking out of turn, Miss. I am clearly still unfamiliar with all that has transpired with your father's death. Whatever help I can be to you and the others is all I wish to do." Nervous now, he bows to her and tries to make himself less conspicuous among the others.

Valen gets so jumpy that Father Grimburrow's introduction nearly makes him yelp in surprise as he turns around. Cap still in hand, he bows to the older priest. "Blessing of Pharasma, Father. I don't know that I am worthy enough to replace him, sir - but I will do my best to fulfill his duties to Pharasma; Ravengro and the promise he made to help the Lorrimors."
At the request for a meeting, a look of relief seems to cross his face, but he glances - still red-faced - towards the others. "I will need to confirm our plans first, but very soon would be great, Father."


stats:
Hp 36/36 AC&ffac 15, +2 shield +2 cbt ex. Tou ac 10+2 cbt ex. 17cmd F+7 R+4 W+6
Human. Mixed heritage. Mutt from a port city. Warrior of the Holy Light 3AD
TheReplacementGM wrote:

"See me home?" Kendra blurts out, all but interrupting Valen.

"After all that has happened, up to and including the murder of my beloved father - which you, yourselves, agree is highly likely - the last thing I want to do is go home and wait for another attack." Kendra, her face reddening, places both hands on her hips and looks at each of you, letting her gaze linger on each of yours before finally settling on the Councilwoman Faravan. For the first time (at least for you Creel, and you, Madeline), Kendra appears to have dried her tears and found her resolve.

Tharnik, for his part, grins.

**

Creel returns the grin.

"Good, together we are harder to overcome. But there is a last task awaiting us at the estate."

Once clear of the ears of the multiheaded. Recovering weapons before we leave.
"It is time for the locked book to yield to the emergency. I am sorry Madame Lorrimor but as the key is missing we will need to break the lock."

"We will also need the supplies from the false crypt, and a bow."

Dark Archive

Once again, it's "morning." You had all just bathed, had breakfast, and then came to the town meeting when this encounter occured.

Kendra looks at Valen, her eyes softening, and says, "Master Valen, that was not directed at you, at least not in any way you should take offense to. I was simply stating that I am done crying and I will not sit idly by. Perhaps the last few days have gotten to me. I have been... a bit... emotional. You have my apologies."

She then, after listening to Creel, replies, "As you wish. Although I must admit that I believe my father wanted that book returned to his colleague at the University, and likely in the same condition he borrowed it. But as you wish."


Male Half-Orc Oracle 3 DR 5/Silver AC: 16, Flat-footed 16, Touch 10; HP: 18/31; Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +5

"I will gather the supplies from the crypt. We should meet back at the house in an hour." Tharnik then turns to Kendra, offers her a toothy smile, and places her hand on her shoulder. She smiles in return and the two set off, headed to the Lorrimor Estate.

Dark Archive

Father Grimburrow waits for everyone to finish speaking. Then he raises his arms above your group and says, "May Pharasma bless each of you noble warriors, your tasks her tasks and her mission yours. Let not the dead linger beyond their stay, for they each have appointments with the Grey Lady, in her court in the Boneyard. Even if you serve other gods, let this blessing be welcome, that in doing their will, you also do hers."

He then steps back, a stern look on his face, and addresses the gathered townsfolk.

"Meet me at the church, my children. There is much work to be done."


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

@Kendra: Valen bows and adds quietly,"Thank you. I live to assist you in whatever you choose to do, Miss. Let's be about dealing with whatever this storm of terror is."

At Father Grimburrow's prayer Valen utters a small prayer of request under his breath:"Lady of Graves, find our path worthy."

Upon returning to the house and in making preparations, Valen looks at the supplies Tharnik has brought. Seeing that some items have been noted, he looks at the rest of them to see if he can glean their purpose.

Valen will see if using detect magic and his Knowledge touch will prove helpful. Otherwise, I did a couple of rolls if that is necessary instead.
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Knowledge(Arcana): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

Alexa follows the others: This just ain't natural. These undead and strange fire monsters need to be stopped before they move from attacking people and begin to destroy the balance of nature. Nature cannot fight back like people can.

Dark Archive

Valen:
Which items are you looking at, exactly? And it's a spellcraft roll for each item; the DC is 15 + CL.

Waiting on Creel, Vaghn, and Madeline....


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+7,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline groans softly as she stands and walks back to the house. Once there she quickly changes and washes, emerging feeling if not better at least refreshed.

Smith follows his mistress' instructions and also washes and changes clothes.

Madeline looks around at her companions "Well, off to see the good father and then trying another crack at the ruins?" She asks.


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

Watching everyone else clean up, Alexa washes her face and hands and attempts to be at least a little presentable for civilized society.

She then nods and listens to the others before joining them to meet with the good father.


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

RGM:

Sorry - I wasn't more detail. Wasn't thinking too clearly yesterday.

The list as gleaned by others and what I have seen in the thread both ID'd and not:

4 Sunrods
12 Silver Tipped Arrows
5 Cure Light Wounds Potions
2 Scrolls of Hide from Undead
1 Scroll of Detect Undead
10 Arrows +1
5 Ghost Touch Arrows +1

Vials of Water bearing Sarenraes holy mark - Holy Water? Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
2 Vials of a golden fluid - unknown. Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
2 BLACK arrows - unknown. Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
1 other scroll - unknown. Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
a thin darkwood case decorated with an image of a scarab with a single eye glaring from its back.
I may have misread, but I don't think this was magical so much as nobody examined it, so just in case:Spellcraft: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

I don't think the Father meant for us to meet him at the church. I think he was addressing the townsfolk to meet him.


stats:
Hp 36/36 AC&ffac 15, +2 shield +2 cbt ex. Tou ac 10+2 cbt ex. 17cmd F+7 R+4 W+6
Human. Mixed heritage. Mutt from a port city. Warrior of the Holy Light 3AD

To Kendra: "This has abeen a trying time for everyone, you most of all. No apologies are needed. We are in this together."

To the cleric: "Thank you father. The inheritor walks with the gray lady in this matter. Let us be friends and allies."

Creel heads towards the estate with the others.

To all: "It worries me that we cannot make full use of the gifts the crypt provided. Still we must trust in ourselves and let fate provide what we need."

At the estate Creel will get the eye book and investigate how to open it with the least damage. Snapping the lock. Unscrewing hinges. Pulling rivets ect. If there is no way to open it without damaging the text Creel will leave the book closed.

If it is possible to do so without doing too much damage Creel will try to open the book. Taking 10 or 20 if I can. Not sure what the check would be but STR is +3 DEX +0


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

What is this book that you are so interested in? Why is it locked?

Dark Archive

Creel:
YOu carefully examine the book and note that the locks design runs through the spine of the book itself. You are no locksmith, but you are fairly sure that forcing it upon would ruin the spine itself, and likely, the book. Beyond that, however, you cannot be sure.

Valen:

The two vials of golden fluid are potions of lesser restoration.

The vials bearing Sarenrae's Holy Symbol are indeed, holy water.

The two arrows with black tips are enchanted against the undead. They are +1 undead bane arrows.

The scroll's magic continues to elude you.

The darkwood case is of fine construction, but does not radiate magic.


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

RGM:

Thank you for the update. Is there anything in the box or unusual about it from my examination? I was under the impression it was empty, but I wanted to make sure we didn't overlook anything. ;-)

Valen enters the common room, nodding to all present and carrying the case of all supplies Tharnik has retreived.

"I have used my blessed gifts to examine these items and add to Herr Vaghn's notes in the hopes we might be better prepared. Ummm...please excuse my handwriting," he mutters the last part as he rubs the back of his head awkwardly to hide slight embarassment.

Many of the items Vaghn earlier identified have little, neatly written notes indicating their purpose - the signs of a professorial tendency for catalouging evident. Valen has marked some of he unknown items in a similar fashion, although his script looks more the scribblings of a child than a learned scholar.

To minimze in this thread - unless people want me to do it here - I will do the mechanics of items in the OOC thread so we can discuss, OK? It will be a few hours before I can map it out though - need to get some sleep for awhile.


Male Varisian (Ustalavic) Archivist 5; hp 33/33; AC 16; TAC 12; FF 14; F +2; R +6; W +3; Perc +5; Init +2

Vaghn is unusually quiet as he prepares for their return to Harrowstone. Once he is back into his leathers he places his hat upon his head and waits for the others to be ready.


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

Unless someone wants to go ask for a bow from the Sheriff, any reasons we can't move on to Harrowstone? Just checking for clarification.


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+7,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madeline makes a final check of her gear, touching the sword at her hip and adjusting her tri-corn upon her brow. Even as Smith seems to mirror her actions, though adjusting how the great augmented hammer rests across his back.

Do others think the good Sheriff might have more to add to our arsenal? Perhaps a short bow or x-bow or two? Just a thought.

Onwards! To destiny!

Dark Archive

Let's just assume someone went and saw the sheriff and, moved by your recent heroics, he issued you a longbow.


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

Thanks - Vaughn or Madeline should take the bow. Madeline likely is slightly better with her higher Dex.

Lets move onto the Harrowstone unless someone else has something to do. Alexa being fairly new is still more following as she learns what has happened.


Male Half-Orc Oracle 3 DR 5/Silver AC: 16, Flat-footed 16, Touch 10; HP: 18/31; Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +5

After cleaning up and deciding on a course of action, Tharnik jogs off to see the sheriff, returning shortly thereafter with an old, but serviceable longbow. He smiles has he sets it down, alongside a quill and a dozen arrows, and says, "Sheriff wants it back in one piece. Says it's his hunting bow."

Then, he gives Creel a quick smile and says something in Orcish.

If you speak Orchish:
"The sheriff is scared. Worse, that little weasel Gibbs is in town, stirring up trouble."

Dark Archive

Once I have a group consensus on direction, I'll move to the next scene.


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

I am ready, but wanted to ask in-character some stuff that is player knowledge, so feel free to add to it, but I don't want to detract from getting us on the way.

Valen prepares his equipment and holy symbol. Looking around at the others, he says, "Back at the town hall, there was a stern-looking man in the crowd who seemed quite angry during the meeting. In the confusion, I was never able to find out: Does anyone know who he is?"

Valen describes Gibbs - the man from the funeral. Assuming that Madeline, Creel, or Vaghn identify him and explain previous incidents:

Valen nods and continues, "Ahh...I see. Watching their faces - everyone else in Ravengro seemed nervous or scared. When Herr Vaghn spoke, they all seemed to be buoyed by his words. Except that man - he remained stone-faced throughout the meeting - neither concerned nor content. That seems...strange...he acts to defend his neighbors, yet shows no concern for them in this crisis. When we return from our investigation, I think it might be wise to ask more questions about this man."

Valen shrugs with an open palm, leaving the question for future speculation.


stats:
Hp 36/36 AC&ffac 15, +2 shield +2 cbt ex. Tou ac 10+2 cbt ex. 17cmd F+7 R+4 W+6
Human. Mixed heritage. Mutt from a port city. Warrior of the Holy Light 3AD

Orcish:
"The Sheriff is a good man but right to be frightened, this will get worse. Gibbs is a little man resentful of everything. I have met his like before. Ignore him. When we stop the cult he will be forgotten. Unless he is a member in that case *-----* (here Creel uses a Belkzen dialect word that translates roughly as gut him but leave him alive for the carrion birds. It says something about orcish that this is just one word and a short one at that.)

To all: "Gibbs is frightened by change. He tries to hold himself up by tearing others down. There is a history between him and the Professor that we have inherited. We must treat him with kindness and care. Any affront will be magnified in the retelling so we must offer none and never meet him alone. His word against ours raises his words to a flace equivalancy. It would be best to ignore him unless we can bring him to our side. Of course all this changes if we can prove he is involved."

Ready to head to Harrowstone.

Dark Archive

Your group, taking several hours to prepare, leaves around noon for Harrowstone. The journey there is quiet, the sun gradually breaking through the grey clouds shortly after you arrive (roughly an hour later). As you look around, you see little has changed. The yard of the old prison is still stained with the ash and decay of the decades old fire, as is the warden's old house. To the right, part of the main prison complex is collapsed, stagnant and dirty water slowly eroding the foundation of that leg of the complex.

The towers that surround the whole complex breathe only the smallest of sounds, a slight clicking here and there your reminder that foul, fire-touched beetles once dwelt within.

The path, for its part, appears clear of obstructions.

A light breeze blows.

Alexa:
Assuming you concentrate on your power (to detect undead), this place shines. Not only do the dead still dwell, the power of their presence almost overwhelms you.

Creel:
Assuming you concentrate on your power (to detect evil), this place stinks. Badly. While you are not overwhelmed by the stench, you're still quite a few steps outside of the actual complex.

As your group takes everything in, Kendra adjusts her small backpack and says, "This place has a bad feel to it."


Male Half-Orc Oracle 3 DR 5/Silver AC: 16, Flat-footed 16, Touch 10; HP: 18/31; Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +5

Tharnik replies, "Indeed. The spirits here are not restful."


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+7,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

As they slowly enter the grounds again Madeline is unsure as to which weapon to employ. Since she now has the choice of either her family's blade or the borrowed bow...


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

Concentrating as she frequently does when entering places suspected of harboring the living dead, Alexa suddenly stops with a start.

This whole place reeks of undeath. It is almost overwhelming. I do not know how useful my powers will be since everything seems to have a taint of evil necromantic magic.

RGM:

Will my powers be useful at all, just wondering so that we can simplify how/when I use it and how much info we get. I would think that this would give us, or at least me, an advantage on surprise checks, but you can limit it however you wish.


Half-Elf Male Cleric (Pharasma) 5 - HP: 34/34; AC17, T10, FF17; F+5,R+1,W+8; Per +9; Init +4

Valen looks around at the whole place - a combination of curious awe and dread. He studies the old prison with a placid vision, ignorant of the rough experience of the others from their previous trip. Having never seen a place so large, he's amazed at the structure while also feeling a bit nervous at the imposing size and the scorched condition.

But strangely, the feel of dread seems lost on him for now - perhaps a result of his profession and his religion. Noticing Madeline's nervousness and the comments of the others, Valen adds his own chilled commentary:

"Graveyards are rarely as peaceful as we'd like. This may have been a prison, but now it's a tomb, a mounment as much as that statue in town. The question is: are the spirits here looking for Pharasma's rest or more company from the living? Hopefully, it's the former."

As if he had just been talking about the weather instead of a creepy prison, Valen absently adds, "Should we check the warden's old house first or maybe do a sweep around the building for an entrance?"


Male Varisian (Ustalavic) Archivist 5; hp 33/33; AC 16; TAC 12; FF 14; F +2; R +6; W +3; Perc +5; Init +2

"Be wary of more than just spirits. Last time we were here we were attacked by a swarm of juvenile slicer beetles. What has brought them to the surface, especially so early in their lifecycle, I cannot say; I do not even know what it is here that they could feed on. Still, they are dangerous, and we should prepare fire..."


HP: 28 / 28, Init:+3, Perc:+7,AC:16,Fort:+3,Ref:+4,Will:+3

Madline shudders at the memories of said bugs.

"A good idea to check everything on the outside first. Leave nothing behind us..." She looks at the dilapidated ruins, "Well...less likely to leave anything behind us..."

Since the group might be tackling the 'outside' first Madeline chooses the bow. Knocking a normal arrow for now. (But not drawing said arrow back, just resting the shaft upon bow and string)

Dark Archive

As you walk up the path, you come to a structure on your left, presumably the Warden's old home. The old brick manor house, which is small against the prison, is overgrown with thick sheets of gray-green ivy. The roof sags ominously, and the front door hangs askew.

Alexa:
As you concentrate on this area, you notice it is strangely absent of any spirit, the strength of the presence located squarely in the prison itself. The house, however, looks incredibly unstable to you, and you notice several timbers that could easily come loosened if you aren't incredibly careful. Oh, and we'll just play your powers by ear. I'm assuming you are detecting at critical junctions. Remember, however, that overall impressions, much like detect evil, can leave you stunned. From the spell; "If you are of good alignment, and the strongest undead aura's strength is overwhelming (see below), and the creature has HD of at least twice your character level, you are stunned for 1 round and the spell ends." Also, remember: "Each round, you can turn to detect undead in a new area. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it." I'm giving you a "general reading" about the whole place (which is overwhelmingly 'dead'), but you can't use your powers to pinpoint specifics inside the prion itself, unless you're in a specific room.


Female Human (Varisian(Ustalav)) Druid(Menhir Savant)/4 - Monk/1 HP: 33/36; AC16, T15, FF15; F+7,R+5,W+11; Per +13; Init +3

I do not sense any undead in the warden's home. But it really appears unstable. We should be very careful if we are to investigate it.

RGM:

Understood - As I read it, only undead (or outsiders, ethereal, etc) with more than 11 HD would be overwhelming, but obviously that is open to interpretation by you to avoid abuse (or discovering things which should not be so easily discovered). If we are meeting a lot of 11 HD monsters, my guess is that we will have problems much bigger than me being stunned for a round.

1,901 to 1,950 of 4,956 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Jörmungandr's Carrion Crown All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.