Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Jade Regent, presented by DM Hamied - Campaign Thread

Game Master Hamied


2,351 to 2,400 of 3,024 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>

Lisabett presses and rubs her lips together, hand venturing to her unfinished tattoo.

"Summer is soon upon us, and the raiders will be active," Lisabett intones carefully. "If we do stop for the wagons, it should be to provide for their defense, assuming that such modifications will not slow us more than we already are. Among my kind, my soft heart heart is rare, and the number who are willing to attack a caravan that has women if only to take them in the blood is quite high," she says almost academically.

"Pillage and rape is what my kind do," she continues and looks to Almar. "Do not expect to find favorable trade terms if you are unwilling to make a show of strength that will command such. Any town not large enough to boast a brothel to slake the needs of their warriors will not be friendly to foreigners."


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3
Lisabett Erikkson wrote:
"Pillage and rape is what my kind do,"

Sorin frowns, "You mean my people, not my kind. You shouldn't associate yourself so casually with such attitudes. Have you forgotten that it was you who first sang to Minherzi and not I?"


"If I might..." Caran comes forward, sheepishly. "I think I may be able to manage some of these...defensive improvements. I could use some of the fine lumber we transport, though it would be a shame we wouldn't be wouldn't be able to trade it. It would be nothing major, but it would weigh no more than the current load, and it might stop an arrow that would otherwise find it's target."

If you approve, the caravan will gain some defense at the cost of future trade.

"As for trade, there are other options, besides Riddleport.". Shaleleu speaks as she approaches. "But they will not come to us easily, without my words, and my aid."

If you approve, the caravan could trade very shortly, at the cost of having Shalelu site out on her own for a short time.


Male Human Gunslinger 03

"Seems like a plan. Having some additional defences will always be a good thing in my book. As for the trade, you should ask Sandru, but I think that could be a good idea too if we fear doing business with the Ulfens"


"You are unlikely to get a fair price for lumber north," Lisabett opined. "Finished goods are of greater value, for the novelty. Or we could sell Espen as a thrall," she suggests with a smile. "He's a strong back and I believe submitting to an absolute authority may teach him some humility." Lisabett chuckles darkly.


"Yes, improve the caravans if it will not slow us down a great deal." Sandru echoes your thoughts.

"And as for me?" Shalelu asks. "If there are no objections, I will depart within the hour."


Sorin Nicusor wrote:

Sorin frowns, "You mean my people, not my kind. You shouldn't associate yourself so casually with such attitudes. Have you forgotten that it was you who first sang to Minherzi and not I?"

Lisabett's eyes flick to Sorin. "Do not forget that I would have slain the goblin bastard and spared the deputy a life of misery, but refrained for your sake," she says and rubs the scar beneath her left eye. "I seem to recall there being some argument about my preferences then. Have you come to a new understanding of the necessity of some violent actions?"

Recalling Minherzi Lisabett stretches and pops her neck. "Children should be encouraged to make their own choices. Had she understood Skald, she might have learned the song glorified defenders. Make no mistake, that girl will be a warrior, but to defend or murder will be her choice, as it was yours, as it is mine."


"Please, peace you two," Raziel calmly says, speaking after holding his tounge for most of the discussion.
"We travel to the remains of Brinewall next, and then we decide where to travel next. Or even if we will continue to travel together, depending on what we find at Brinewall. Perhaps Almar's hunted will be in wait for us there, or it may have gone off somewhere else. But at least can we travel to Brinewall together?"

He turns to Shalelu.
"Shalelu, I take by your comments you mean to trade with the local elves. I have heard that they do not favor any but their own kind. If Sandru wants goods to trade to the Ulfen, can the elves provide items that would catch their fancy?"


"I know not what they will say to the prospect of trade, but you are correct; it is my own kind that I seek." Shalelu answers. "And I would know their replies to other questions as well. I will make haste, and I will find you again on the journey north. Lisabett has keen eyes, and Almar is an able defender. You shall not miss me."

As Shalelu fills her saddlebags with provisions, Sandru looks on grimly, making no protest at the elf's imminent departure.


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3

Sorin sighs wearily at Lisabett's response. The point he was trying to make has vanished on the wind to be replaced by the stokes of old arguments he has no desire to revisit. He never thought it would be so difficult to find common ground for conversation with sommone, bringing up Minherzi having failed completely.

She will not be a warrior, not in that sense. She has seen the true glory of a life filled with more options than what needs to be killed today.

Frustrated, he lapses into silence until Shalelu speaks

DM Hamied wrote:
"You shall not miss me."

Sorin manages a small smile. "For those of us who know how long you have thanklessly toiled to help Sandpoint, I can assure you that you will always be missed. I refuse to allow you to take yourself so lightly." He continues to stare at her with a small smile as if challenging her to disagree.


Male Human Gunslinger 03

Almar gives Lisabett a bleack stare when she mentions selling Espen as a thrall but says nothing, he just leaves.
While walking back he hears Sorin's words to Shalelu talks softly to himself:"Peace for a while at least?"


Shalelu smiles at Sorin briefly, but that is as much ceremony as she allows for her departure. It is several minutes before you lose sight of her horse, galloping westward over the Varisian plains and into a sparse wood.

"We'll be off, then." Sandru calls as he watches Shalelu's shrinking figure. "She'll find us again, I've no doubt." He turns to Ameiko. "If you're ready, Ameiko? Have your legs steadied?"

"I'll steady one of them right into your rump." Ameiko grimaces, slapping her hands against one another to clear the dust from them.

"Keep safe." Sandru gives her a condescending smile. "And move out!"

Perception DC 20:
You are quite certain that all of the mist has vanished from where it was seen moments ago. The path to the north is clear.


Male Human Gunslinger 03

Perception check:1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

Almar's eyes follow Shalelu for a while until she's just a siluette on the horizon, then he glances away:"Good. Now we've got a campsite to prepare if I'm not mistaken... so... let's get to work people!"


It is not long before you are underway, and not long after that that you pass the place where you spotted the strange mist but an hour past. There is no sign of it now - it has dispersed, or at least faded from your sight.

By the time the sun has reached its full height in the summer sky, the day has grown quite hot. The horses seem to feel their loads more keenly today than they have in some time, and Sandru calls for a respite often. With the evening comes a welcome breeze, and when the stars finally reveal themselves, the night is balmy and comfortable. Laughter seems to creep back into conversations, though none of it comes from Andres and Espen. Their speech is sparser than ever, for that matter.

It is as you are preparing camp that the flickering of a torch appears in the darkness beyond your camp. A quick scan of the caravan accounts for all hands.

Has Shalelu returned, or is it somebody else?


Male Human Gunslinger 03

"Who goes there?" Asks Almar wary of possible intruders, although it doesn't seem likely they would come with such boldness.

Perception check:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

Setomi eases into the shadows and moves to the flank of the new arrival, loosening her swords in their scabbards.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3

Sorin will Detect Evil in that direction.


Sorin:
You detect no evil from that direction. It's possible the target is out of range, but you cannot be sure.
Setomi:
Your approach draws no motion from the apparent torchbearer, but at Almar's words, he seems to flee.
Almar:
You hear what you assume to be a curse, in a tongue you do not know.
Perhaps in reaction to the noise and motion within the camp, the shadowed stranger in the distance throws the torch. It goes spiraling through the air, and lands upon the ground. The pounding of hoofbeats that follows is audible to all.


With Shalelu away, Lisabett's duty is a tangible weight upon her chest and shoulders. With Shalelu away, Lisabett cannot spend her hours tracking a beast worthy of a feast in Ulrick's honor, and another night his remains go unburnt.

While the others return to their routine, Lisabett remains quiet, and detached from the two strangers who wear faces she once identified with. If Sandru attempts to speak with her, she will keep her eyes low, but otherwise avoids conversation with him, feeling accutely that whatever moment she thought she might have appealed to him in any way had passed. He had admitted that she could not bring a smile to his face. If Gorum is kind-

Lisabett looks up with Almar calls. Idiot, she seethes, rising, Shalelu's knowledge of the ways would ensure that if it were she returning, they would not know it until she arrived in the middle of their camp, not spotted at a distance. The woman was an able hunter of beast, goblin and man. Her spear readily at hand, she lifts it parallel to the ground when the torch falls.

Skald:

"Gorum, Lord in Iron, bless this field. Let me bring death to our enemies, or else let me rest here."

"Form an arch! Archers, target their horses!"


Male Human Gunslinger 03

"Come out and show your faces! Otherwise we'll shoot you down!". The gunslinger voice pratically drips menace.

Intimidate check:1d20 ⇒ 16


Raziel moves to behind Almar, and readies his scimitar. His other hand is free and held to cast spells.


Wordlessly, Sandru fits an arrow to his bow. Caran, Espen, Andres, and Walthus follow suit, and step into formation behind their captain. With a gesture and a word, Ameiko creates four ghostly lanterns near the origin of the thrown torch.

The light is faint, but you make out three riders, moving away from you.

"Scouts!

This is not an initiative situation. The riders are at a distance of 100 feet, and are fleeing. We can resolve whether or not you give chase in a moment, but for now, everybody is allowed one shot. Be aware that the riders have concealment, and range penalties may well apply.

Bow Attacks (NPC):

Sandru - 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Concealment - 1d100 ⇒ 75
If it hits, it deals 1d6 ⇒ 2 points of damage.

Caran - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Concealment - 1d100 ⇒ 65
If it hits, it deals 1d6 ⇒ 2 points of damage.

Walthus - 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Concealment - 1d100 ⇒ 61
If it hits, it deals 1d6 ⇒ 6 points of damage.

Espen - 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Concealment - 1d100 ⇒ 75
If it hits, it deals 1d8 ⇒ 8 points of damage.

Andres - 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Concealment - 1d100 ⇒ 36
If it hits, it deals 1d8 ⇒ 6 points of damage.


Why give chase when folk have convenient long range spells prepared :P

At the shout, Lisabett embraces her nature magics, struggling with the rage in her to seek out the second source of magic much lower in her body. The words of the spell come unbidden, and the earth beneath her feet roils as she imagines the vegetation beneath the horses rising to tangle them in place.

Lisabett casts Entangle, centered to capture as many of the horses as possible. The DC to resist is 13


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

Setomi continues to move towards the group of horsemen, staying in the shadows and drawing her wakizashi as she goes.


Male Human Gunslinger 03

"Oh... well..."

Attack roll:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Concealment:1d100 ⇒ 51
Damage rol (if it hits):1d8 ⇒ 3


Raziel reaches out and touches Almar, casting Guidance upon him.
"Sarenrae guide your aim," he intones.


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3

Having only a single javelin as a missle weapon Sorin moves forward even though he knows that if whatever spell Lisabett is casting doesn't work, he'll have no chance of catching up.


Good use of Entangle! I didn't roll initiative for order, but I am going to rule that Lisabett's spell goes off before the volley, as she began shouting battle commands.

Saves:
Horse 1 - 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Horse 2 - 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Horse 3 - 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Scout 1 - 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Scout 2 - 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Scout 3 - 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

Ouch. The dice roller continues to be cruel to Lisabett. Though one horse did get snagged, and its rider will certainly be affected by the speed of his mount.

From this distance, in this light, it is hard to tell what is happening, but it seems as if the grass itself has risen up against the riders. Two of the horses kick free of it, but the third is too slow.

Along with Almar's well-aimed shot, only two of the arrows find targets. The entangled horse flies into a panic as a shaft sinks into its flank, and it tries to throw its rider.

GM Screen:
Scout 3:
Ride - 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Handle Animal - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Despite his steed's violent bucking, the man manages to remain in the saddle. His efforts to calm the beast seem fruitless, however.

Initiative has become necessary.

Initiative:
Almar - 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Lisabett - 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Raziel - 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Setomi - 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Sorin - 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Scout 1 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Scout 2 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Scout 3 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Round 1:
Lisabett
Scout 1
Almar
Setomi
Scout 2
Sorin
Scout 3
Raziel

Scouts Near the Campsite

Lisabett will lead off.


Entangle also makes difficult terrain, so they can no longer Run, at least... and yes, I am used to the dice roller hating me at this point

Lisabett casts Mage Armor on herself, and moves forward to H40 to begin the arc she mentioned.


One of the riders shouts out.

Skald:
"Flee and disperse!"
He kicks the flanks of his horse, and attempts to maneuver out of the whipping grass. With some difficulty, he and his steed manage to get clear of it.

He double moves to A,B,7,8.
Round 1:
Lisabett
Scout 1
Almar
Setomi
Scout 2
Sorin
Scout 3
Raziel

Scouts Near the Campsite

Almar is up next.


Male Human Gunslinger 03

Knowing well the range of his pistol Almar runs towards the entangled scouts, so to have a better chance at taking them down.

Full round action, Almar runs to K27


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

Setomi moves quickly through the undergrowth, hoping that in the dark and confusion she will not be heard or seen. Once she get within sight of the horsemen, she will once again disappear into the shadows.

Hustle (50') to N-26.
Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

I was not sure if I could make an action at the end of my move. Hope that this is ok.


As far as I understand the Stealth rules, Setomi, that should be fine, but I'll admit I often find them somewhat confusing. You don't have cover, but in low-light conditions, you can still stealth.

Another horse kicks free of the entangling grass, and races off into the night.

Scout 2 double-moves to S,T,8,9.
Round 1:
Lisabett
Scout 1
Almar
Setomi
Scout 2
Sorin
Scout 3
Raziel

Scouts Near the Campsite

Sorin is up next.


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3

Sorin double-moves to O 36 shaking his head in exasperation as the other two appear to be making good on their escape.


These horses are combat-trained, but I figure that even such mounts are prone to panic when targeted by spells that cause the ground to attack them. That, and there was a large, booming sound from the caravan, courtesy of Almar. In any case, this guy will be making Ride checks to move until he can succeed at a formidable Handle Animal DC.

GM Screen:
Perception:
Scout 3 - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Horse 3 - 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

Handle Animal:
Scout 3 - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Ride:
Scout 3 - 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

The remaining horse is tangled in the grass, and continues to panic. For half a moment, the frightened animal's fearful eye falls upon Setomi's shadowy form. It rears up again, and its rider responds with another curse.
Skald:
"Damned beast!"
He manages to stay in his saddle, and even gets the horse to move, but the two of them remain within the reach of the spell.

Scout 3 manages to move to J,K,18,19 and no further.

Round 1:
Lisabett
Scout 1
Almar
Setomi
Scout 2
Sorin
Scout 3
Raziel

Scouts Near the Campsite

Raziel is up next.


Raziel hurries to catch up with the rest, but falls behind most of his companions.

Double move to K37.


"Reform!" Lisabett calls to the others. "We cannot stall those who have escaped. We must protect the caravan!"


"Quoaral! Caran! Proudstump! Stay with me!" Sandru calls out. "Andres! Espen! Look to the south, but stay near the wagons!"

Round 2:
Lisabett
Scout 1
Almar
Setomi
Scout 2
Sorin
Scout 3
Raziel

Scouts Near the Campsite

Lisabett is up next.


Having heard Sandru call out to the archers to remain close to the wagons, Lisabett runs ahead to E21.


As Lisabett comes nearer to the ensnared horse, she can almost feel the panic of mount and rider. The other two horses have broken into a hard gallop. Their slower comrade shouts after them.

Skald:
"Gorum's wrath on the both of you! Cowards! Help me!"

Scout 1 disappears from the map. As he is currently more than 100 feet from you and fleeing still, you will not catch up with him during this encounter, but can choose to pursue him at the end of initiative, if you wish.

Round 2:
Lisabett
Almar
Setomi
Scout 2
Sorin
Scout 3
Raziel

Scouts Near the Campsite

Almar is up next.


Male Human Gunslinger 03

"Surrender or die!

Almar moves to K22 and shoots the scout

Reflex save:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

Attack roll (using deadeye, so ranged touch):1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Damage roll:1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


Almar's shot grazes the rider's side. The man shouts in pain.

Round 2:
Lisabett
Almar
Setomi
Scout 2
Sorin
Scout 3
Raziel

Scouts Near the Campsite

Setomi is up next.


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

Setomi moves smoothly over the writhing terrain. She leaps into the air and, with her one leg extended, kicks the horseman out of his saddle and into the grasping strands of foliage below.
Not too sure what might all be involved in doing this, but I think a reflex save, for the entangle spell, then an acrobatics roll for the leap, a stealth roll, then an attack roll on unarmed?? I will also use my Ki Attack Speed ability to get an extra attack. Also as I was hidden do I get sneak attack??

Reflex save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Acrobatics: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Attack-Melee: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Attack-Melee: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Damage: 1d3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Sneak Damage: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 5) = 10


I forgot to call for a Concealment roll, given that there are low-light conditions. I'm going to say that Ameiko is moving her Dancing Lights spell to illuminate the rider, so Concealment is no longer an issue regarding Scout 3 and his horse.

Unfortunately, Setomi, the area affected by the Entangle spell is difficult terrain, so you would not be able to reach your target with a single move action. With a double move, around the entangled area, you could become adjacent to the horse and rider, but otherwise, you will not have a means to reach them this turn. Let me know what you'd like to do.

The remaining scout does not so much as look back at his companion's distress. His horse darts off into the darkness.

Scout 2 disappears from the map. As is the case with Scout 1, you will not be able to pursue him until initiative has ended.

Round 2:
Lisabett
Almar
Setomi
Scout 2
Sorin
Scout 3
Raziel

Scouts Near the Campsite

Sorin is up next, but I will need a revised action from Setomi as well.


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

Well I guess Setomi will move forward and get a good look at the horseman so if he escapes she can at least tell everyone what he looked like. She will remain 10' away...as she can leap that distance if he is still here next roound.


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3

Sorin will Run to O20.


GM Screen:
Scout 3:
Handle Animal - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Ride - 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
The scout shouts curses at his panicked animal. This does little to calm the beast, and instead of fleeing, it does everything it can to throw its rider. Though he manages to stay mounted, the scout cannot make his intended escape.
Skald:
"Rovagug take you, Thunder! Worthless horse! We'll both be meat!"
Scout 3 does not move. He remains in J,K,18,19.

Round 2:
Lisabett
Almar
Setomi
Scout 2
Sorin
Scout 3
Raziel

Scouts Near the Campsite

Raziel is up next.


Raziel keeps moving foreward.
Move to K29


Lisabett trained Knowledge Religion Rovagug 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 wow... that horse must be Rovagug

Lisabett moves to H17 and begins speaking in Skald.

Skald:

"Cannibals are from the west country," she says, "and neither you or your horse seem particularly gainly, though there has been a shortage of meat. Surrender your arms, now, and you may yet live and go to Gorum elsewhere."

Lisabett diplomacy 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17


With a 5 on your Knowledge (Religion), you know that Rovagug is an evil god, though in this light, the horse looks like it might just devour Golarion...

The horse has, as of yet, failed to shake of the entangled condition, and so I have not had it roll a save on Lisabett's turn. But Almar and Setomi are in the spell's effect and still unaffected. Both of you need to roll a DC 13 Reflex save.

The man looks directly at Lisabett.

Skald:
"It is her..."
His surprise is apparent, and enough of a distraction that he fails to keep astride his bucking horse. He cries out as his horse sends him flying onto the enchanted ground. He groans as the green tendrils of grass wrap around him, and a moment later, he is still and silent.
DC 12 Heal:
The man is not dead. Some combination of the impact and his fear has stolen his consciousness away for a time.
The horse, kicks free of the writhing greenery and canters a short distance away. Though long strands of grass remain wrapped around the animal, it seems to calm once it moves away from the area affected by the spell. It stands nearby, trying to bite loose the grasses still tangled around it, all the while eyeing you warily.

Thus ends intiative.

2,351 to 2,400 of 3,024 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Jade Regent, presented by DM Hamied - Campaign Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.