Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Jade Regent, presented by DM Hamied - Campaign Thread

Game Master Hamied


2,201 to 2,250 of 3,024 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>

"Certanly, Lisabett."
Raziel step forward to give what help he can.


Almar and Sorin

Almar:
These women are all young, likely under thirty years, all of them. They are piled neatly, with no sign of a struggle.
Sorin:
As you turn around, your gaze falls on Ulrick, who stands not ten paces behind you. A malignant power washes over you, jarring your senses.

Ulrick has an overwhelmingly evil aura. You are stunned for one round (no save).

"The bastard, eh?" One of the guardsmen looks at Almar warily. "You know it's but a single man? What can you tell us of him? What have you seen?"

The other guardsman seems about to answer Sorin's question, but the paladin's sharp intake of breath halts his response.

Lisabett, Raziel, and Setomi

You have just finished preparing the harnesses when Quoaral returns. Sandru follows just behind at a pace more befitting a snail than a caravan captain. He looks rather unwell.

"Last night..." he begins, putting a hand to his eyes. "Before the inn...I...I arranged for a pair of tradesmen to come this morning. We will unload some provisions, and be ready to depart this afternoon. Thank you for...arranging the...the harnesses."

He seems to waver for a moment, but your Shoanti companion is quick to put a hand at his back, steadying him.


Male Human Gunslinger 03

... Ulrick had a damn fine time last night... eh? XD

Almar prepares to answer when he notices Sorin suddenly strange reaction. "Sorin? What did just happen?"

Then, puzzled, the gunslinger answers, with some circumspection:"I know he's a single man because I've been hunting him all the way from Alkenstar to this place. And I can tell it's him, because you could find scenes like this every two villages if you travel south. And after a while one learns to recognize the butcher's handywork. So ask your questions, I'll answer them... but I doubt it will help right now. This is fresh He must be near still. Better to check for traces, answers can come later I'd say"
So saying Almar starts examining the scene.

Survival check:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3

As soon as Sorin comes to his senses:

Sorin whips his glaive out, pointing it straight at Ulrick. "Don't move! Not an inch!" Sorin cannot keep the shock out of his voice. "Who are you? In my entire life, I have never felt such overwhelming evil before!"


Lisabett gives a nod, and finishes attending the beasts, then lifts what Sandru points to and puts it on display. When she has finished her portion of the work, she places her things in the back of a wagon, tucking the broken spearhead into the back of her pants, and carries only a few gold.

"It is time I replaced my spear," she says to no one in particular, and exits the warehouse.

Not looking for much, just a quarterstaff, a dagger, a whetstone and probably a weapon cord.


"Wait up, Lisabett," Raziel says as he hurries after her. "The crowd didn't look too friendly today, so we should watch ourselves, and not go off alone."

'Not that I doubt your prowess,' he thinks, 'But with as rough as you are, you could incite problems that could have best been avoided...'


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

Setomi watches the other two leave as she continues to feed the animals. She sighs, and looks over to Sandru. "We are not too bad for provisions, but could always use a topping up. Should I venture into town to purchase anything, or maybe I should just stay here."


I generally try to steer clear of split party combat, but I don't think there is any avoiding it in this instance. I will try to keep it as clean and efficient as I can.

Almar and Sorin

Ulrick smiles wickedly, looking upon Sorin for but a moment before turning his gaze to Almar. "Indeed, my friend." The voice that comes from the Ulfen is not his own. "Answers will come later."

In a graceful flourish, he moves backwards, ignoring Sorin's command. He begins to gesture with outstretched hands.

Initiative:
Almar - 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Sorin - 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Ulrick - 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

The two guardsmen will not act in the initial round, as they are completely surprised by the situation.

Roderic's Cove Atrocity

Almar is up first.

Lisabett and Raziel

Outside the warehouse, tension still hangs in the air, but the accusatory eyes that seemed to find their way to you several minutes ago are not upon you now. The usual chatter so common to morning marketplaces is noticeably absent, as is the man who was beside himself with grief.

It takes little effort to find a weapon's stall. A portly man with a huge, dark mustache looks up at Lisabett's face, then down to her chest, then up into her eyes again. "And what can be done for you, lovely?" Several daggers are arrayed on a rack beside him, and a quarterstaff leans against the back of the stall.

Setomi

Sandru's smile is not a comfortable one. "If I speak the truth, Setomi, I would have you here with me. The men that are due to come...I have not had dealings with, and I would welcome your company."


Male Human Gunslinger 03

Does Almar recognize the voice? Anyway...

Hearing Ulrick's new voice, Almar doesn't think, doesn't take a step back, doesn't look surprised. His face shows no signs of emotion at all. He just extracts and fires at the man he used to call Ulrick.

Attack roll (deadeye grit power active, counts as a ranged touch attack):1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Damage roll:1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

"I will stay then, if you have need of me. Who are these men?"


Almar and Sorin

GM Screen:
Concentration:
"Ulrick" - 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26
Almar:
The voice has a familiarity to it, but you do not recognize it outright.
As your shot slams into the Ulfen, he lets out an otherworldly noise, simultaneously a bark and a whisper. His facial features twist into a grotesque mockery of the man you have come to know as "Ulrick." His hands continue to weave a pattern in the air, and with a dramatic flick of his fingers, you feel an overwhelming fatigue tugging at you.

Will Saves (DC 16) needed from both Almar and Sorin.

Guardsman 1 - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Guardsman 2 - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

If you make the save, you can attempt the following DC:

Spellcraft DC 18:
Your seeming foe has cast the spell Deep Slumber.

Setomi

Sandru sighs. "I would not tell Lisabett, nor would I dream of telling Almar, for outsiders cannot truly understand. That said, it would rankle our faithful as well." The Varisian captain leans up against the wagon for support. He is still struggling to get his bearings this morning. "I left the Sczarni years and years ago, but they have never truly left me. Family...favors...those things do not simply disappear..."

Because she has lived her life in Sandpoint, I won't require any check for Setomi to know who the Sczarni are, though a Knowledge (Geography) check will tell you more about the Varisian crime syndicate.


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3

Is this actually Ulrick? Magical control? Shapeshifter?

Will Save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Spellcraft: 1d20 ⇒ 2

I don't see Ulrick listed on the map.


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

She does not have Knowledge-Geography, but does have Knowledge-Local, if that helps.

Setomi looks over to the leader of their caravan, and while she thinks she should feel some sort of shock or surprise, she does not.
"We all have secrets Sandru. I would never judge a person by who they know. And if these men can assist us, so much the better. They sound a little like the stories my mother use to tell me of the Yakuza of our homeland."


Male Human Gunslinger 03

Will save:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


Almar and Sorin

I'm not sure what happened to Ulrick's marker, but it should be there now.

Almar slips into unconsciousness, as does one of the guardsmen. Sorin manages to shrug off the effect. The other guard is still on his feet as well, though he seems utterly confounded by the situation.

"And again, I make the mistake of underestimating you." Ulrick glowers at Sorin. His Ulfen features continue to shift towards something inhuman.

Almar
Ulrick
Sorin

Roderic's Cove Atrocity

Sorin is up next.

Setomi

Knowledge (Local) would possibly give you additional information, but it would be more specific to location.

Sandu looks over his shoulder, out the open door. He turns back to you. "I am not fond of dealing with them, but in this instance, it is an advantage. We will be rid of all but our own provisions come afternoon."

He pauses for a moment, searching your eyes. "I...Setomi, I must tell you...I did not drive this caravan north to sell goods. I had just returned from a lengthy trading expedition, and hoped to put my feet up for a month or two. But the discovery in the swamp...and how it affected Ameiko. I...you must know, I meant to journey to Brinewall Castle, only, you and Ameiko were not supposed to come. You have more than proven your capability, but her...if something were to befall her...I..." He chokes back a sob, then turns from you.


Lisbaett blinks as the shopkeep pays closer attention to the curve of her breasts than the scars on her face. Had he known there were scars there, too, likely he would not have looked at her at all.

"Need a hunting knife," she says shortly in the trading tongue. "And that stick there. I am rather clumsy on my feet in the dark."


Lisabett and Raziel

"One like you should be off her feet in the dark, perhaps?" The merchant gives Lisabett a leering smile, then looks to Raziel. "Be assured, friend, it is a jest. I do not make myself your rival."

The merchant retrieves four daggers from where they hang nearby, then lays them out in a row on the counter between you. "Two gold coins, and you can have your pick from these. The staff, I will include as a gift, from me to you. Should you choose to buy, that is."


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3

When did this "thing" replace Ulfrick? Sorin pushes away the thought that this "thing" has been with them since Sandpoint.

Activate Smite Evil, attack

Attack: 1d20 + 7 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 7 + 3 = 12 Bah
Damage: 1d10 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 3 = 11 And again, bah

It occurs to Sorin that trying to solve riddles in the middle of combat isn't a good idea.

AC is currently 18


Lisabett licks her upper lip and sneaks a glance at Brother Holheim before answering. She had less interest in the priest than she did in the merchant, but she had been raised in a culture that valued hospitality, and she was not a local.

"If it please you, Master, I would not even cast to create my own," Lisabett teases with unusual personality.

Lisabett Diplomacy 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Lisabett will choose whichever knife looks like it will not break on use if attempting to skin a deer, or pierce its heart. Preferably something like a hunting knife, pays her 2 gold and leaves as quickly as possible. Does PF have the equivalent of a machete?


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

Setomi looks at Sandu and says, "I understand your concern. That is why I am here, to help and watch over her. I am sure, between the two of us, we can keep her safe. Do not borrow sorrow from the future, is an old saying my mother taught me. Let us deal with it when, and if it comes. I think Ameiko has more strength in her than we give her credit for."


Almar and Sorin

GM Screen:
Ulrick:
Stealth - 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Sorin's cut goes wide of the surprisingly nimble Ulrick, who sneers at the paladin.

That concludes the first round. Almar and Guardsman 2 lose their actions this round, due to unconsciousness.

"Cease this!" The still-conscious guard has drawn his sword, but the quivering blade betrays the fact that he is trembling. "Weapons down! Do not move!"

Ulrick takes a 5-Foot Step back to H15 and casts a spell.

Ulrick slides back, almost as if in a dance, out of the reach of Sorin's glaive. His hands move together in strange ways, and when his knuckle comes into his opposite palm, he vanishes from sight.

Spellcraft DC 17:
Ulrick has cast the spell, Invisibility.
Perception DC 24:
There are faint impressions in the grass, right where Ulrick was standing. Though you might have guessed him to be heavier than the parted grass suggests, you are certain of his position.

Round 2:

Guardsman 1
Almar
Guardsman 2
Ulrick
Sorin

Roderic's Cove Atrocity

Sorin is up next.

Lisabett and Raziel

I'm inclined to treat it as a Short Sword with the damage type changed to Slashing. That would mean you were not proficient with it, but you would be able to use it without penalty outside of combat. Does that work? If not, I'll likely just stat it as a Dagger.

The merchant does not reply but with a smile. After he is satisfied with the weight of the coins you have given him, he hands you a sturdy, oak quarterstaff, but leaves it to you to take the knife of your choosing.

Setomi

Smiling, Sandru flicks something from his eye. "Few have seen me low as this, but you, Setomi, have seen me even lower. For this reason, I am not embarrassed. No, indeed, I am grateful to have you here. I am grateful for the frequent reminders of your skill and of your dedication to Ameiko." After a moment, he pulls a pair of leather gloves from his pouch and dawns them. "Now, let's get to business. Will you help me unload these crates?"

He begins hefting a heavy box, but seems to struggle on his own. "Oh...and...please, do not speak of this to Lisabett. I fear she may part with us, and I do not want that."


Raziel looks around the merchant's shop, playing off his comments with a smile.
'Lisabett and I? What a laugh that would be...' he thinks.

As Lisabett completes her purchase, Raziel asks, "Do you have any spears, good sir?"


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

Setomi nods in agreement with Sandru, then gets to work helping him move and shift the cargo, but she also keeps her eyes and ears open for the arrival of their prospective customers.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3

Spellcraft: 1d20 ⇒ 19
Can't succeed at the Perception

Not ever going to be a spellcaster himself, Sorin did not pay as much attention to the magic lessons during his training as he should have. Fortunately, there are a few that he remembers and this is one of them.

Sorin takes a 5' step forward and swings his Glaive through H15 (50% miss chance even if he's there and my attack succeeds)

Attack 1d20 + 7 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 7 + 3 = 14
Damage 1d10 + 4 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 4 + 3 = 16


Almar and Sorin

Sorin's glaive cannot find its foe.

Seemingly convinced that he, too, should attack the spellcaster, the guardsman moves forward and slashes at the air, near where Sorin did.

Attack (Longsword) - 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Concealment - 1d100 ⇒ 78
If the attack hits, it deals 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 points of damage.

Surprisingly, the sword seems to connect. Though it does not cut deeply, the blade comes away with black, ichorous blood on its point.

"I shall see you again soon." The ominous voice seems to come from all around you. Its next words are a language you do not know. The silence that follows them seems sudden.

Spellcraft DC 18:
Ulrick cast the spell Fly.
Perception DC 18:
Ulrick is either being perfectly silent, or he is no longer here.

Ulrick does not provoke Attacks of Opportunity by casting a spell because he has total concealment.

Round 3:

Guardsman 1
Almar
Guardsman 2
Ulrick
Sorin

Roderic's Cove Atrocity

Sorin is up next.

Lisabett and Raziel

"Spears! Yes! Of varying lengths." The merchant smiles, opening a cabinet behind him and revealing a few spears with long shafts, and a few that are clearly for throwing.

Setomi

Between Sandru, Quoaral and yourself, you are able to unload all of the trade goods in short order. The men Sandru spoke of have still not come.

Leaning over the crates, you becomes aware of a faint odor. At first it seems to be nothing, but now that you have noticed it, you realize it is rather pungent. You trace it to a small, heavy box that you had hoisted from the wagon not a minute past. Whatever is within has almost certainly spoiled.


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3

Spellcraft: 1d20 ⇒ 12
Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 11

Sorin will use Detect Evil to see if there's any trace of "Ulrick" left. If he detects nothing, he'll try to wake Almar.


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

Sniffing, Setomi moves to the offending box and calls Sandru over. "Ummm...I think whatever was in this box has gone off. Eeewww!! What is it?", she asks, while holding her nose.


"Lisabett, you were looking for a spear, were you not?" Raziel asks her.


Lisabett levels her gaze at Brother Holheim. "Spears are for warriors," she dismisses, and touches her new dagger. "For swift killing of whatever we hunt, and skinning," then grips the quarterstaff, "for defense. But i will not dishonor the warriors of my lands by taking their weapons."

Yeah, I asked after a machete because I did not intend to use one in combat, just to chop at over grown vegetation and maybe break some tougher joints and bones while butchering animals provided it was sterilized first. SSword is another 10 gp.


Raziel stares at Lisabett for a moment, and then breaks out with a hearty laugh.
"Not a warrior? You used a spear well enough before yours broke. And you have more than enough fire to be a warrior, and more."

Then Raziel's face becomes earnest. "I think you do your people more dishonor by not being all you can. We depend on you, and artificial modesty does not suit you at all."


Almar and Sorin

Concentrating on the surrounding area, you still feel the resonating aura of the one you called "Ulrick," yet it is but his "footprint." He himself has seemingly gone.

Almar stirs at Sorin's touch, as does the slumbering guardsman when his comrade gives him a shake.

"Where did he go?" Having roused his fellow, the guardsman who fought be your side now fights to stay composed. He turns on his heel and brandishes his sword. "An explanation. We will have some explanation!"

Initiative has effectively ended.

Lisabett and Raziel

We'll keep it at 2 gold, but stat it as a Short Sword (w/ Slashing damage).

"Words of fire." The shopkeeper comments, a spear in each hand. "Do either of you mean to buy one of these, or shall I store them again?"

Setomi

GM Screen:
Quoaral:
Fortitude Save - 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Sandru comes near you and sniffs the air. When he catches the scent, his face turns sour for a moment, then finds a smile. "Well, that's one thing we won't be selling. But the crate should be salvageable, I think." Not a minute later, Sandru has a crowbar in hand, and works to pry the box open. It does not take him long.

As he opens the lid, the overpowering smell of rotting meat fills your nostrils.

Fortitude Save (DC 12) to avoid becoming Sickened. Sandru becomes Nauseated automatically, thanks to his already turbulent stomach.

"Gods be good..." Sandru mutters under his breath before turning his head aside and vomiting.

Inside the box:
Within is a decaying human head with long, blonde hair. Though decomposition has begun, you recognize the face as that of Large Ulrick.


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

Fortitude Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

The sight of the rotting head, and the sight and sounds of Sandru being sick almost push Setomi into loosing what little breakfast she had eaten. She staggers a few steps away from the crate, and Sandru; takes a few deep breaths she is able to steady herself.

"By the gods Sandru, how..I mean..who...why??" As she stumbles over her words, she looks around to make sure no one else is within the warehouse.


Brother Holheim does not know that there were thanes who would not blush to flay a woman who impersonated a warrior alive should she be unfortunate enough to cross their path, and witches were hunted with exceptional zeal by the specialized ranger force of the Black Ravens. These were truths Lisabett knew that she had yet to discern how to effectively communicate to her companions.

Still, arguing the point in the merchant's shop was useless.

"The longspear," Lisabett answers, nodding to the weapon. "I lost mine in a swamp. The head snapped against an enemy," she lies.


Male Human Gunslinger 03

Almar jumps on his feet right the moment Sorin wakes him:"Where? Where did he go?!?!?!?!, a terrible rage burns in the gunslinger eyes as he searches for his enemy.


Almar and Sorin

"You will explain! Now!" The guardsman with his sword drawn sounds desperate.

"Calm yourself, Eyer." The other rubs sleep from his eyes as he lifts himself from the ground. "We will take them in for questioning, have no doubt." The second guardsman comes to his feet, his eyes hardly moving from the pistol that Almar fired moments ago, though he looks to Sorin as he addresses you. "We'll need the two of you to come along with us, so we can sort out this mess."

Lisabett and Raziel

"For you, I will part with it for a mere five gold, though if you mean to use it in your quarrel...it will cost you seven." The merchant lifts the butt of the longspear towards Lisabett. "Light, you'll find it. Wonderfully light, but sturdy."

Appraise DC 12:
There is nothing particularly special about this longspear, but it seems to be reasonably well-made.

Setomi

Perception DC 15:
A group of men seem to be speaking outside the door. Their voices draw closer.
Sandru struggles to lift himself to his feet. "Who...?"

Quoaral stands by, unflinching.


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3

Sorin shrugs at Almar. "Gone. Likely on the wings of magic. To be honest, it's just as well; I do not believe I was his match."

Sorin frowns at the guards. "Very well, I will accompany you. But we are members of Sandru Vhiski's caravan. It's possible the rest of my comrades are in danger. We are staying at The Gnome's Nose and our wagons are in storage. I ask that messages be sent there warning them of possible danger. Is that agreeable?"

Diplomacy 20 + 9 = 29


Lisabett untrained Appraise vs DC 12 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17 oh god, this dice roller is scaring me.

"I will never raise my spear against a companion," Lisabett answers, her tone clipped. She could not even begin to count what she had sacrificed by keeping Brother Holheim's secret from the remainder of the group.

Lisabett pays the merchant his gold, and turns to Brother Holheim. "Have you any more business? I thought to see if I could purchase inks for Ulrick to finish the shade on my leg. It has been too long since he has put ink to me."


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26

Setomi whispers frantically to Sandru, "Your clients are just outside. You need to pull yourself together. Quoaral, if you would, please cover that box and move it to the furthest corner from us."

As the plainsman (hopefully) completes the task of removing the head, Setomi delves into her spice chest, and with a flick of her wrist, fling an aromatic concoction into the air, in hopes of removing some of the putrefying smell. She then turns and moves towards the warehouse door, to greet (and delay) those coming in.


Almar and Sorin

"Perfectly agreeable, sir." The guardsman answers. "I am pleased to know that you have civility about you. It is rare this far from Magnimar." He looks back at Almar. "But while you are within Roderic's Cove and the surrounding area, I ask that your friend here not use his...device. Count yourself lucky that I haven't confiscated it. Now come along."

Do both of you accompany the guardsman?

Lisabett and Raziel

"Of course." The merchant smiles widely. "Thank you for your custom."

At the mention of inks, the man pipes up again. "I do not mean to eavesdrop, but if you seeks inks to mark the body, there is a man who sells such wares, not four stalls down." He indicates the direction with his finger, then raises a hand to the side of his mouth and continues in a hushed tone. "He will be well into his cups by this hour, and he never makes a coin...you will find a bargain there, I think."

Setomi

Sandru nods and finds his balance. He wipes his mouth with his sleeve and flicks at his hair. It seems to take more effort than does Quoaral's handling of the box containing the head. No sooner have you spoken the request than the Shoanti has complied. He sets it against the wall on the other side of the warehouse, and sits upon it.

A moment later, three Varisian men walk through the open door - the one at the rear shuts it behind him. The one in the lead is adorned in colorful silks, and a purple, patterned scarf dangles from his neck. Though the other two wear leather armor and swords as their hips, their scarves are no less vibrant.

The well-dressed man stops, and looks around, his gaze lingering on Sandru. "Is that...lilac?"


Female Human (Tian) Ninja-3

Setomi steps forward and bows deeply. "Welcome most honourable sirs. Master Sandru awaits you within. If you gentlemen would please follow me."
With that, Setomi turns and slowly, but gracefully, moves her way back towards Sandru, exaggerating her hip movements, in the hope of distracting the 3 new visitors.
Don’t really know what to roll to try and keep them distracted...bluff maybe?? I want to keep them a little off balance so anything strange might not be so obvious.


"I have no more business currently, so we can get your inks,"Raziel replies. "Let us seek out the purveyor of inks for you."


Lisabett and Raziel

You smell the ink vendor before you see him. The Shoanti man reeks of wine, and his deadened eyes stare past you even as you step in front of him. It is clear that at some time in this man's life, he was in the company of a skilled tattoo artist, as the intricate patterns that weave across his bald head and pocked cheeks were clearly made by one with great care for detail.

Setomi

Bluff would be best. Keep in mind the penalty for being Sickened, as that will persist for a minute yet.


Male Human Gunslinger 03

"He flew away? Just like that? DAMNATION!" for a moment Almar shakes with rage and it seems he could explode, then he calms down and regains his stoic composure:"Very well, lead the way, I'll answer your questions as much as I can"


The elder man's state tugs at what little seems to remain of Lisabett's heart this morning. She knew only a little about the Shoanti, that their culture was not so far from her own, and to witness the creature before them in such a state recalls a horrid tale about a thane allowed to go sour with drink.

Shoanti:

"The one who put the lines to your head must have been beside you for many battles," she opens. "How do you come to be in such a state?"

[ooc]Lisabett Diplomacy 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3
Almar Ashfield* wrote:
"He flew away? Just like that? DAMNATION!"

"To be more precise, he just vanished," Sorin mutters and then continues in an even lower voice. "Had that "thing" wanted us dead I fear we would be dead. I do not know why it led us there nor why it tried to subdue us rather than just killing us outright but there must be a reason."

Sorin walks the rest of the way in silence, trying to shake the ill-feeling at the ease with which of our own was replaced.


Almar and Sorin

The two of you follow the guardsmen to a well-fortified building that looks like it was constructed in recent years. The wood that holds the brick together does not sag as do most other structures in town. No sign hangs over the door, but the two men standing sentry in front of it are as well-armored as those that have escorted you here.

"Lieutenant?" Both of the men guarding the door salute.

"Gillans, we were just attacked in the field by a wizard." The guardsman seems nearly as calm as he did when he was induced into magical sleep, despite the dire situation. "We've survived, but our attacker fled. He brought his spells to bear against these two as well, and are being brought in for questioning. Inform the Captain immediately."

"Immediately, sir." One of the door guards nods and ducks inside. The guardsmen who accompany you bid you to follow.

You come into a sparsely furnished front room, with a handful of men milling about. It is clear that you have sparked curiosity, but eyes turn away from you again quickly at the sound of metal greaves on the staircase. The man that wears them is adorned in full-plate mail, and wears a cloak with no sigil. The jewels encrusted in his longsword's hilt are dazzling, even in the modest light within the barracks.

"I'm Captain Maretti." The man's square jaw barely seems to move as he speaks. "And your names?"

Lisabett and Raziel

"My brother is long dead, young one." Though the man speaks to you, his glassy eyes seem to take no notice of you. "And this state I have come to be in is the same as it is for any of my people who forsake the old ways in the name of coin, love, or other foolhardiness. Yet as I am a slave to this place now, and so a slave to coin, drink, and other foolhardiness. It is kind of you to ask, but kinder of you to buy. Yes?"


Lisabett struggles before the elder warrior, her heart laid bare before the thrall. Ice falls from her frosted eyes as mist spills from her lips. The only tales more harrowing than losing a trusted companion and ally are those of losing ones will to preserver in the harsh climate of the Land of the Linnorms. She counts out ten gold in stacks of twos and leaves them on the counter.

Shoanti:

"Whatever this affords, slave."


Male Human (Varisian) Paladin of Shelyn (Warrior of the Holy Light) 3

Sorin bows slightly before the Captain, "My name is Sorin Nicusor, servant of Shelyn, recently from Sandpoint. My friend here is Almar Ashfield. We travel with the caravan of Sandru Vhiski, also out of Sandpoint. How may I be of service?"


Male Human Gunslinger 03

"Sorin... I can talk for myself. My name is Almar Ashfield, a former Shieldmarshal, from Alkenstar. What else do you want to know?"


Almar and Sorin

"Alkenstar." Captain Maretti bites his lower lip. "You're a long way from home." After a moment, he smiles, and begins to sing.

Perform (Sing) - 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

"Dust of Garund,
This dust of old Garund,
Nex and Geb,
And Geb and Nex,
Crumbled to dust,
This dust of old Garund."

That the man chose the career of a soldier rather than that of a minstrel seems fortunate, but he manages to carry the familiar tune.

"Do you have a fire-thrower, then?"

Lisabett and Raziel

I forgot to specify that the Shoanti's response was in his native tongue. My mistake.

Some light at last comes into the man's eyes at the small stacks of golden coin. He hurriedly produces a wide assortment of inks from beneath the counter, then rakes your payment into his lap. He says not another word, nor acknowledges your departure.

2,201 to 2,250 of 3,024 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Jade Regent, presented by DM Hamied - Campaign Thread All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.