Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

JaceDK's Realm of the Fellnight Queen (Inactive)

Game Master Jacob Trier

"That fell creature sought to twist our minds, remove our souls, and make us forget what we are, rendering us into nought but crude beasts."
- Jervaise Toppington, Steel Falcon of Andoran


1,051 to 1,100 of 2,032 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>

hp 79/79, AC 24/19/15, CMD 29, F: +11, R: +14, W: +12, init: +5, per: +15 Elf Ranger Infiltrator

Caelin paced the shore with a growing sense of alarm, desperately scanning the surface for any sign of Taecuss [or Goodluck]


Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Goodluck follows into the water, swimming as gracefully as a fish.


Goodluck follows Taecuss into the narrow cave opening. Periodically, a bright bluish light flares from somewhere up ahead, backlighting a number of small fish which dart between the swimmers. Some of them move further ahead, and others escape into the churning water of the pool Taecuss and Goodluck left behind. The passage itself is tight enough that the men can only go one at a time. And, the walls close in for what seems like an eternity before they finally emerge in a small, air-filled cave.

The cave itself appears to be less than 15 feet in diameter and the ceiling is only 4 feet high, forcing Taecuss and Goodluck to crouch as they pull themselves from the water. A pile of gray, rune-carved stones...perhaps two dozen in number...takes up most of the floor beyond the water's edge. A somewhat rusted, iron lockbox sits nearby, its dimensions large enough to have clearly made for some difficulty to whoever pulled it through the narrow underwater chute leading to this bolthole.

Periodically, the runes from the pile of stones flash with an eldritch blue energy...the source of the illumination seen in the water. But, the light itself seems tangible. It pulses and writhes from the stones, drifting across the air to mingle with the water and create a low-lying shroud of mist which conceals the first foot or so of the cavern floor.

Arvormeigh is nowhere to be seen.


1d20 + 19 ⇒ (11) + 19 = 30

For those waiting by the pool's edge next to the waterfalls, a couple of fish splash lazily within the pool. Some of them are actually quite large for river trout, but nothing dangerous-looking. They might make for a good meal if the party makes camp later. And they also remind you of the wonderful fish fry back at Elyin's wedding festival.

DC 30 Perception check...

Spoiler:

Some of the fish occasionally swim over the southern waterfall, dropping into the lower pool at the foot of the path you climbed to reach these heights. They must feed the local bears and other predators along the stream as it flows through the southern Verduran Forest.


Taecuss smiles with excitement at the sight of the runes. He quickly starts to load the stones into the lockbox, glad he has Goodluck with him to help wrangle it out of this tiny space.


Goodluck studies the rune stones, then helps Taecuss handle the lockbox, confused as to whether they're being offered the lockbox or the runes or both.


Ironically enough, the lockbox is quite stubbornly locked.

It is also, apparently, quite heavy from whatever else it might hold.


Storyteller extraordinaire

All right. I'm back at the wheel. Thank you very much, Neil. It was a real treat, and I'm sure our heroes haven't seen the last of Arvormeigh.

Minutes pass. No sign of Arvormeigh, Taecuss or Goodluck. Just puffs of mist from the waterfall.


Arvormeigh wrote:
Ironically enough, the lockbox is quite stubbornly locked.

I'm ashamed to admit, I didn't see that coming.

Taecuss will assume the lockbox is Arvormeigh's personal wealth and leave it be. He'll start stuffing the stones into his haversack. If there are more than seventy-five pounds of them, he'll dump some of his mundane gear to make room.


hp 79/79, AC 24/19/15, CMD 29, F: +11, R: +14, W: +12, init: +5, per: +15 Elf Ranger Infiltrator

Perception roll:

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (15) + 14 = 29 (add +4 vs. fey if it applies)

Aaarrrrgh! Dang you and your spoilers, Neil Spicer! Dang you to heck!


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Rogue (Scout/Thug) 4 / Steel Falcon 2 / Chevalier 1

Jervaise continues to wait patiently, and warily, on the shore...


Can I cast underwater? Specifically bull's strength...


Storyteller extraordinaire

The cave is not underwater, so you are able to cast spell without any problems.


In that case, Goodluck will cast Bull's Strength on himself to aid in the dragging of the lockbox to the surface...


Male Halfling Inquisitor 8

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17


Storyteller extraordinaire

With some difficulty and the help of Goodluck's enhanced strenght, Taecuss and Goodluck manage to wrangle both the lockbox and the rune-covered stones out of the cave.

There are 25 stones in all, each the size of a large fist and weighing 2-3 pounds. Taecuss handy haversack is full to the brim, and he has to dump most of his rations to fit them all.

As the group gathers on the shore around the lockbox and the dripping wet Taecuss and Goodluck, you notice that the mist has cleared, now that the wardstones are tucked away in Taecuss' pack.

As the minutes pass, you are also keenly aware that Arvormeigh is nowhere to be seen.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Rogue (Scout/Thug) 4 / Steel Falcon 2 / Chevalier 1

Jervaise hefts his greatsword uneasily.

"I said that that Fey beast could not be trusted... We should leave. Now."


"Aye, but she held up her end of de bargain, so I can say no ill of her. We have de box and de stones. Let's find a safe spot and open dis chest."


hp 79/79, AC 24/19/15, CMD 29, F: +11, R: +14, W: +12, init: +5, per: +15 Elf Ranger Infiltrator

"Jervaise, Goodluck", Caelin said with a wry smile, putting a hand on each of his companions' shoulders, "I will say enough ill of her that nobody else need bother. Please let me take on this task. I believe I can do it very, very well."

As everyone finished up preparations to leave, Caelin led the hunt for a safer site, limping noticeably through the misty woods.


I think she was rather nice, and almost certainly misunderstood! says the elf with a +0 Sense Motive modifier. After all, look! He says with a gesture to the stones.

Can anyone open this box? If it contains something that may help us against the Fellnight Queen, we should see what it is. If it wouldn't help, we should leave it for Arvormeigh.


Storyteller extraordinaire

The box is definitely going to be very difficult to get down the ravine, and it's a bit big and bulky to carry on a cross-country trek.


Male Halfling Inquisitor 8

Let me have a look, says Meycho, adopting a focused look and fishes out a small leatherbound toolkit with small picks, files and other interesting items.

This may take a little time, so I hope you have patience.

Meycho then searches the chest carefully and sets to work, if he finds no traps.

Taking 20 on Perception and Disable Device for 32 and 30, respectively.


If I didn't mention it before, I wanted to make it clear that Taecuss will show off the stones to the others when he resurfaces. Sometimes, honor and trust are rewarded. I'm just used to thinking that they would be rewarded in Elysium, not right away!

Taecuss watches on as Meycho examines the lockbox.


hp 79/79, AC 24/19/15, CMD 29, F: +11, R: +14, W: +12, init: +5, per: +15 Elf Ranger Infiltrator

Caelin mumbled something about not counting a reward before accounting for all daggers, but remained mostly quiet as Meycho worked.

Though he kept his eyes toward the pool, he occasionally glanced over his shoulder, hoping to glimpse the box's contents.

I hope there is a healing potion in there, he thought wearily.


Storyteller extraordinaire

The minutes tick by as Meycho works on the lockbox. First, he carefully examines the lock and lid for any signs of traps. Finding none, he then proceeds to work the tumblers of the lock with his tools. Heavy amounts of grime and rust make the job difficult. It is obvious that the box has been in the damp cave for years.

Finally, the lock clicks and with the rusted hinges screeching in protest, Meycho is able to lift the lid to reveal the content of the box.

Coins of gold and silver have spilled from rotted sacks and glitter in the rays of the setting sun (335 gp, 812 sp). Wrapped in a piece of oilcloth are two weapons of masterful quality, a handaxe and a longsword. A smaller bundle contains two vials each containing liquid of a different color, and a wand of elm inscribed with runes of magic.

Detect magic:

The handaxe, both vials and the wand radiate magic

It has been between 20 and 30 minutes since you lost track of Arvormeigh. If you take any of the items in the lockbox, please note who carries what.


Taecuss casts Detect Magic.

Hmm. The axe, vials and wand have some enchantment to them. Let me see if they are key to the ward stones.

Spellcraft axe 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Spellcraft vial 1 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Spellcraft vial 2 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Spellcraft wand 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Unless any of the items turn out to be related to the ward stones, Taecuss will say I believe these items and wealth are the personal trove of our new friend. We should return them in their lockbox to the pool for her to honor her trust. She led us to the ward stones, and I am uncertain we could have ever found them without her aid, they were concealed so well.


Storyteller extraordinaire

The axe is a +1 handaxe, the potions cat's grace and levitate. You are unable to identify the wand. It radiates faint conjuration, though. It was also clear to both Goodluck and Taecuss that the lockbox had been in the cave for quite a bit longer than the stones. Several decades, judging from the condition of the box.


Taecuss will go back to the edge of the pool. He'll call out to the unseen nixie Can you tell us if these items are yours? Do you want them returned to you?


Male Halfling Inquisitor 8

I suspect the wand is one of healing. Let me see if I can determine anything about it, Meycho says, before casting a spell.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20


Storyteller extraordinaire

Yup, wand of cure moderate wounds, 9 charges. So, grab the stuff or leave it?


Male Halfling Inquisitor 8

Taecuss, you have a noble heart, but sometimes a little too noble. The Fey stabbed you in the back while smiling gleefully, and had we been defeated, our arms and armor would certainly have been taken as trophy. Plus, we are on a mission to save this entire area, if not the whole of Golarion. I think we can use every little help. Certainly, I'm taking this, Meycho says, waving the wand.

Does anyone besides Caelin need healing?

Meycho - Cure Moderate Wounds (wand): 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (2, 5) + 3 = 10
Meycho - Cure Moderate Wounds (wand): 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (7, 6) + 3 = 16
Caelin - Cure Moderate Wounds (wand): 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (7, 7) + 3 = 17


Very well. he accedes to Meycho. He'll identify the potions and axe to others, but he won't take any of it for himself.

Now that we have the ward stones, do we know where to go to restore them? I have to admit that I haven't spent as much time in these woods as I would like and do not know them well.

Status: Hit points 30 of 52. 10 of 25 rounds of performance remaining. 0 1st, 1 2nd and 0 3rd spell slots remain.

Edit: "Yes, I do have to admit I am still wounded from the earlier engagement." He'll show his wounds to Meycho and ponder Perhaps he is right; perhaps I am too trusting. Then he dismisses the notion as quickly as it came.


"I'll take none, either. We have de wardstones, which is treasure enough. I've no need for de rest."


hp 79/79, AC 24/19/15, CMD 29, F: +11, R: +14, W: +12, init: +5, per: +15 Elf Ranger Infiltrator

"I'll take the handaxe for safe-keeping, then", Caelin said quietly with an expressionless face, putting the weapon on his belt. "To make sure no one steals it. That way I can give it back to the nixie when we see her again."

He turned to Meycho. "Thank you, friend for the healing. If, after healing the others, the device has another charge...well, I still feel a bit weak."


"I, too, could use aid."


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Rogue (Scout/Thug) 4 / Steel Falcon 2 / Chevalier 1

Jervaise shrugs.

"Perhaps we should go back to that Druid, and see what he suggests?"

I will 'archive' the potions, if no-one else wants them.


Male Halfling Inquisitor 8

Meycho prays for a while, touching the wounds of each of his comrades.

Taecuss - Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 7 ⇒ (7, 8) + 7 = 22
Caelin - Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 7 ⇒ (8, 5) + 7 = 20
Goodluck - Cure Moderate Wounds: 2d8 + 7 ⇒ (2, 6) + 7 = 15

I was thinking the druid migth have something to say as well. Plus, we need to rest before pressing on anyways, what better place to do it than there?


hp 79/79, AC 24/19/15, CMD 29, F: +11, R: +14, W: +12, init: +5, per: +15 Elf Ranger Infiltrator

Caelin nodded in agreement with Meycho.


His health restored but his arcane might greatly depleted, Taecuss smiles in agreement and starts off back to the druid's home.

In the wrong direction.

He stops, puzzled for a moment, and then says Caelin, would you do the honor of leading the way? Assuming he assents, Taecuss will let the others lead, and pause to give a long backwards glance to the pool before falling in with his allies.


Just as the group is about to leave, a high, pearly laughter sounds from shrubs lining the rim of cliff edge on the opposite of the pool.

"Leaving so soon? And here I had so hoped you would stay a while to teach me the value of honor, trust and respect, noble heroes," the familiar voice of Arvormeigh calls out.

"I am certainly touched by your reluctance to rob me of my belongings, Taecuss dyn Bru. Rest assured, I couldn't care less about the worthless trinkets of some long-dead brigand. The wardstones, however, are another matter altogether. My queen would be very cross with me if I allowed you to simply stroll away with them. So I'm afraid I have to insist that you put them back."

She pauses for a moment, and you suddenly notice that the surrounding woods have gone deadly quiet.

"Now, I did give you my word that I planned nothing vile, nor mischievous. And as such, I would not dream of harming you, should you refuse to hand over the wardstones. After all, I would not want to betray the trust and respect you showed me," she continues, her melodic voice thick with mockery.

"Fortunately, while you were busy tinkering with that little box, I found some friends who would like nothing better than to be both vile and mischievous on my behalf.

At her words, dozens of small figures rise from the bushes all around the rim of the ravine. With a shout, each one quadruples in size and raises a wooden dart, poised to throw.

For a brief moment, you spot the bleachling gnome Tenzekil Braybittle among them. He raises a cudgel and gestures towards you, and the hum of thousands of bees punctuates Arvormeigh's warning as a rising swarm fills the sky.

"As you see, the first army of Queen Rhoswen has already arrived. She will claim this forest, and you can do nothing about it. Now, put the stones back, lay down your weapons and perhaps I will allow you to live. After all, it is not often I have such delightful and charming visitors. You will make the most amusing playthings - especially you, Taecuss. I could think of many...recreational...things we could do together," Arvormeigh calls, in a tone that promises equal measures pleasure and pain.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Rogue (Scout/Thug) 4 / Steel Falcon 2 / Chevalier 1

"I said she could not be trusted..."

Jervaise glares at the Nixie.

"Lass, by coming back, you have sealed your doom. Your 'friends' might kill me, but I will make certain that I sever your head from body first. I would never surrender to a craven beast such as yourself!"


hp 79/79, AC 24/19/15, CMD 29, F: +11, R: +14, W: +12, init: +5, per: +15 Elf Ranger Infiltrator

A grim grin of agreement spread across Caelin's face at Jervaise's words.

I'll send Aumgwe away, but I'm ready for this, he thought to himself as he looked upon the massive forces arrayed against them. He was surprised that he was neither afraid nor sad.


From her concealed hiding place, Arvormeigh strikes up another mocking laughter at Jervaise's threats.

"So feisty! Look around you, half-elf. If it is death you seek, the spriggans will be happy to oblige you. You are welcome to my head, but you will have to come and find me first."

A quick look around reveals at least 30 visible spriggans on the cliffs all around the upper pool and down by the pool below. Movement in the bushes suggest additional threats. A group of 5-6 spriggans in giant form are slowly making their way up the ravine you climbed to reach the upper pool.


Goodluck surveys the assembled army before them. "If we die here, we can do no good for anyone, y'know. I am willin' to die, but it won't stop the invasion. I t'ink for dat we gotta cut the head off the serpent."


Storyteller extraordinaire

Rescue!

Suddenly, there is a disturbance in the woods around the lower pool. The spriggans assembled there cry out in alarm and scatter.

A group of unicorns rushes charging into the ravine at the bottom of Dead Man’s Drop, routing Arvormeigh’s forces. At the heads of the charge is Palombier, the unicorn you rescued from the ruined dryad’s grove.

“Kindness repaid, friends! Leap down and we shall carry you out of here!" he calls as he leads his fellows into a defensive battle formation, ready to hold back the spriggans while you make your way down.

Remember, it is a 50 ft drop to the lower pool. The only way down is through the ravine, where a group of spriggans are climbing up - or over the edge...


"Let's go!" Goodluck takes a leap off the cliff into the pool!


Right behind you, Goodluck!

Swim 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (9) + 0 = 9

Hmm. Is that a belly flop from 50'? Good thing the ward stones aren't in a mundane backpack; it probably would have split open scattering the stones to the bottom of the pool!


Male Half-Elf Fighter 1 / Rogue (Scout/Thug) 4 / Steel Falcon 2 / Chevalier 1

Jervaise shakes his fist in the direction of the Nixie's voice.

"Next time, Nixie, Next time..."

He then jumps over the edge.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22.


hp 79/79, AC 24/19/15, CMD 29, F: +11, R: +14, W: +12, init: +5, per: +15 Elf Ranger Infiltrator

Caelin tore his eyes away from searching for the nixie just in time to see Goodluck's impressive dive. He winced a bit as Taecuss flailed his way down to the lower pool. Then he followed after Jervaise.


Storyteller extraordinaire

I'll need a swim or acrobatics roll from anyone jumping over the cliff.

GM hint for Taecuss:

Remember that you can use a 2nd level slot to cast a first level spell. ;-)

1,051 to 1,100 of 2,032 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / JaceDK's Realm of the Fellnight Queen All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.