Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Ith's PFS pbp

Game Master ithuriel


1,801 to 1,850 of 3,069 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
Andoran

Male Dwarf HP: 23[23] AC: 23 Firebolt 7[7] +3 (1d6) Channel: 5[5] 1d6 Endure Elements

Fog steps forward, hefting his scimitar. "For the moment, stay by me, and explain how you deactivate the trap. Once inside, you are free to loiter by the door, or keep to the middle of our group. the second option is probably safest."

Osirion

Hustavan coughs.

"Well, it is easy enough - to open the door, you just need to press the third brick from the left on the 5th row from the ceiling on the Southern wall at the base of the catacomb stairs. To deactivate the trap, you need to step into the catacomb antechamber, and depress the big toe on one of the statues there - the one that has the symbol of Zyphus on its foot. That deactivates it from this side, for about a minute."

He then glances around the group.

"I think that I will stick with you lot - my chances of survival are probably marginally better, that way. If it is all the same to you, though, I think that I will linger at the back..."

At this point, Wadi chimes in:

"Don't worry Fog, I will keep an eye on him..."

Hustavan shrugs, and sighs.

"Very well. I probably deserve no less than to be treated like an inconvenient child. The stairs down to the crypt are over here."

He leads the party behind the main altar, to a set of stairs that disappear down into the bowels of the earth.

Can I have a marching order?

Also, what light sources, if any, are you using?

Taldor

HP 48/48 | AC 15, Touch 13, Flat Footed 13 | CMD 13 | Fort: +7, Ref: +6, Will +7 | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0

Possible marching order: Tal, Valeros, Fog, Alie, Kovar, Wadi and Hustavan?

Alie takes the wand that had been gifted to her during her vacation in Oppara, and uses it on herself, creating a barely perceptible shimmer of light around her before it fades.

Use one charge from Mage Armor wand. 49 charges left. Alie's AC is 17 for one hour.

"Does anyone else need a boost from this Mage Armor wand before we enter this place?

Cheliax

Alie Saechel wrote:
"Does anyone else need a boost from this Mage Armor wand before we enter this place?

Wadi motions Alie over, "I think I should get a charge and also Hustavan could use the protection as well."

Taldor

HP 48/48 | AC 15, Touch 13, Flat Footed 13 | CMD 13 | Fort: +7, Ref: +6, Will +7 | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0

"Here you go Wadi," Alie surrounds her friend in the protective magic from her wand 48 charges left.


"Huh. Summoned up some kind of demon. Sounds about right. They aren't the brightest bunch are they?"

Valeros slings his pack over one shoulder to dig through it and pulls out a torch burning with pale cold light. "Right old man. Hold on to this then and make yourself useful." He tosses an everburning torch over to Hustavan and shoulders his pack. "Ready then Tal?" Valeros draws his longsword and heads for the stairs.

Osirion

Hustavan wordlessly accepts the torch, his shoulders slumping.

Map.

At the bottom of the stairs that lead down from the surface is a small room. Two female statues stand in the middle of the room; their arms are broken off and are missing, and their facial features were long ago scraped away.

In the wide corridor beyond the statues, however, Talhaearn's keen Elf eyes are able to spot the first sign of whatever chaos must await you: A small pile of rocky rubble lies there, all of which appears to have collapsed from the ceiling above. Two sets of pale, cold feet stick out from the debris, and a coagulated rivulet of blood oozes forth from beneath it.

Due to where Hustavan is, the 'statue room' is in shadowy illumination for those with normal vision, and 'normal' for those with low light vision.

Andoran

Male Human Druid

Dont forget about Grey, he can keep rear guard.

Andoran

Male Dwarf HP: 23[23] AC: 23 Firebolt 7[7] +3 (1d6) Channel: 5[5] 1d6 Endure Elements

Fog takes his place behind the worriors, but politely refuses Alie's offer.

"Thank you, I have acquired some protection of my own. It doesn't last quite so well as yours but it protects me a might better from what I've been told." he winks.

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

"So Hustavan...which of these statues has the big toe with the symbol?

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14

Osirion

Hustavan's voice echoes down the corridor.

"The one on the left; the symbol itself is quite hard to spot. In order to be able to deactivate the pit trap, though, you need to open the secret door, first."

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Oh good gravy...

"And where is the secret door? And if you tell me that its a secret I swear you'll need everyone's help to remove my foot from your arse!"

Tal scans the room looking for a sign of a secret door.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

Taldor

HP 48/48 | AC 15, Touch 13, Flat Footed 13 | CMD 13 | Fort: +7, Ref: +6, Will +7 | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0

"How about getting up there and helping, so we don't get caught by the trap, Hustavan? You can go back to safety after getting us through this."

Osirion

Hustavan sounds honestly confused.

"I just told you how to open it!"

He did - twelve posts up, in fact ;-)

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

After taking one last look for a a hidden trap Tal pushes the brick described by Hustavan.

Trapfinding: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24

Deep breath....

Osirion

When Talhaearn presses the indicated brick, it slides effortlessly into the wall. There is a deep rumbling, and then the wall slides backward and to the side, revealing a small 10' x 10' chamber.

"See, I told you it was there!"

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

So now I can see the statues..correct?

Tal strides cautiously toward the statues...looking for signs of traps and/or the toe with the symbol on its foot.

trapfinding: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31

Osirion

For clarification, since I think you are confused...

map

The secret door that you just opened revealed the chamber to the South.

The statues are in the room to the north.

Tal:
The hairs on the back of your neck prickle-up. You have the distinct impression that if you move forward towards the statues, you will set off some kind of magical trap.

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Thanks for the clarification...I was definitely confused!

"There is definitely a trap near the statues...I think something a bit more than what Hustavan described. There's some sort of magic involved. I can try to disarm it...or we can see what's going on toward the south."

Would I have time to Take 20 on Disable Device?

Taldor

HP 48/48 | AC 15, Touch 13, Flat Footed 13 | CMD 13 | Fort: +7, Ref: +6, Will +7 | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0

"I can take a look and tell you what kind of magic is on the trap, but that's about as far as my knowledge of traps go," Alie offers, casting Detect Magic, and stepping forth to examine the area.

Cheliax

Wadi hears the conversation in front of him, and he turns his attention to 'Lord' Hustavan. Glancing casually at him, he asks "So my dear friend, perchance, is there something else you may have forgotten to tell us about these traps? Something that may have possibly slipped your mind?"

Osirion

"What?"

Hustavan looks decidedly confused.

"There was only the pit trap to the South, beyond the secret door, the last time I was down here... I did mention that I had not been down here in a week, though, and that when I left, the remaining cult members were thoroughly trapping the area; I would imagine that that is the source of whatever trap you are talking about."

Alie:
The area radiates Abjuration and Conjuration magic

Taldor

HP 48/48 | AC 15, Touch 13, Flat Footed 13 | CMD 13 | Fort: +7, Ref: +6, Will +7 | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0

"Tal, there is Abjuration and Conjuration magic here. I don't know exactly what that means, but I'm sure it's not good."

Osirion

@Talhaearn: You can't 'take 20' when disabling a trap, or doing any task where failure carries a penalty - in this case, setting off the trap (whereas, for example, you can 'take 20' on Disable Device checks, in order to open a lock). You can, however, take 10 on it.

Feel free to roll, or take 10 :-)


"Tal-" Valeros pulls a flask from his pack and offers it to Talhaearn. "Look, if you are taking point on traps drink this. Not gonna help with magic, but if we run into any poison you'll thank me."

+5 alchemical bonus vs poison for 1 hour

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Tal thanks Valeros and downs the antitoxin. He removes his tools from his pack, crouches down and cracks his knuckles trying to make sense of the trap.

Disable Device: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18

ooops...guess I should have taken 10. Everybody duck!

Osirion

As Talhaearn starts to interact with the aura of the trap, his left pinky finger twitches, disturbing the aura, and setting it off:

Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21, for 2d4 ⇒ (4, 3) = 7 Acid damage.

A blob of acid catches him across the cheek, narrowly missing his eye. The pain is excruciating, but more worrying is the fact that the acid continues to burn...

Tal:
Round 2: 2d4 ⇒ (4, 1) = 5 Acid damage.
Round 3: 2d4 ⇒ (4, 2) = 6 Acid damage.
Round 4: 2d4 ⇒ (1, 4) = 5 Acid damage.

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Tal stands up and collects his tools. "Well that was pleasant." He puts his thieves' tools back in his pack and pulls out a his Wand of CLW. "Haven't needed to use this yet...but I'm sure one of you can make it work easier than I can...would one of you be willing to poke me with this every time I screw up?' At this rate the thing will be discharged by lunchtime

Taldor

HP 48/48 | AC 15, Touch 13, Flat Footed 13 | CMD 13 | Fort: +7, Ref: +6, Will +7 | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0

"Geez, be careful, Tal! That splash looks awful. I could try and get that wand to work, but Fog would be much better with it than me."

Osirion

Fog nods to Tal, and takes the proffered wand, healing the damage caused by the magically-imbued acid.

Talhaearn:
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7.
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5.
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6.
CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9.

...that should fully heal you :-)

What now? :-)

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

"Down the stairs or around the statues?"

Taldor

HP 48/48 | AC 15, Touch 13, Flat Footed 13 | CMD 13 | Fort: +7, Ref: +6, Will +7 | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0

"We are following you, Tal. Go where you feel comfortable and we've got your back."

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Hmm...no one has ever let me lead before. Someone must have put in a good word for me back at the Lodge.

"Hrm...yeah alright then." Tal's attempt at sounding confident reminds one of a confused tortoise learning to talk. "So Hustavan you're one for two...let's try improve your score. If I push in the marked toe we're clear to go downstairs...yes?"

Tal checks the statue for traps before pushing the toe...

Trapfinding: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20
Disable Device: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20 (Assuming I need one; although I am just pushing on a toe!)

...and then checks the stairwell for traps while stealthily walking down.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Trapfinding: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28

I wonder if this job entitles me to hazard pay...

Osirion

Hustavan chirps in:

"Yes, that's right..."

Tal finds no traps upon the statue, although he does find a small holy symbol etched into the stone webbing between the statue's second and third toes on its right foot.

When he depresses the big toe, there is a faint click, and then a deep, solid 'thunk'... but nothing else happens.

Holding his breath, Tal checks the the stairway for traps - he finds none, apart from the pit trap he already knew about - although he does discover that there is a pressure plate at the top of the stairs, presumably to allow deactivation of the pit trap from this side of the secret door.

The stairs descend 30', before opening into a 30' x 40' chamber. A five-foot-wide, rickety rope bridge stretches fifteen feet from a small landing at the bottom of a set of stairs on the south side of the room across a twenty-foot-deep pit to another small landing on the north side of the room. The north landing has a solid wood door leading north.

Hustavan's voice echoes down the stairway:

"We should be quick through this room. It holds the First Test of Zyphus. The Will of Zyphus inhabits this place; accidents tend to happen if you linger - either the bridge collapses, a rock falls from the ceiling and crushes your skull, or you are picked up by the very air itself, and thrown into the pit. I recommend that we go one at a time, and hurry through the door on the opposite wall. Once you figure it out, you just get through here as quickly as possible. Lots of cultists die here even after they’re part of the cult."

Andoran

Male Human Druid

"This sounds like a lovely place"
Kovar attempts to use as much sarcasm as possible and readies his scimitar.

Cheliax

Wadi shrugs. "If you see one trap-infested cultist ruin, you've seen them all." He waits for the others to head across before having Hustavan proceed in front of him.

Taldor

HP 48/48 | AC 15, Touch 13, Flat Footed 13 | CMD 13 | Fort: +7, Ref: +6, Will +7 | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0

"If it's all just the same, I'd rather Tal go first and use that keen eyesight to make sure nothing else randomly happens to us. At a fast pace, of course," Alie adds, focusing her Detect Magic spell on the room.

I think it should still be active.

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

Tal has a gander about the room before crossing the bridge.

Perception (low light): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26

Osirion

Talhaearn:
At a glance, you spot three bodies at the bottom of the pit; two clearly have injuries associated with falling, but at this distance, all you can tell is that the third does not have similar injuries.

Beyond that, nothing immediately leaps out at you.

Let me know if you loiter for longer than a 'quick glance' :-P

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

"Wait until I get across and give the OK."

Tal hurries across as quickly as safety will allow.

Taldor

HP 48/48 | AC 15, Touch 13, Flat Footed 13 | CMD 13 | Fort: +7, Ref: +6, Will +7 | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0

If Tal makes it across, Alie will nod to Valeros. "You are up, big guy. Keep it moving."

I'd say to avoid confusion, we just proceed across one at a time in marching order, if nothing crazy happens.

Grand Lodge

Half Elf Rogue [8] | HP 67 | AC 22 T 15 FF 18 | F +5 R +10 W +5 | CMB +10 CMD 25 | Init +5 Perc +14 (low light)

I have a feeling that something crazy will happen...lol!

Taldor

HP 48/48 | AC 15, Touch 13, Flat Footed 13 | CMD 13 | Fort: +7, Ref: +6, Will +7 | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0

haha, that's why the game is so fun!

Cheliax

Wintergreen's CE PA IT Geek 10/Daddy 6/Physicist 3/Cartographer 1/Runner 1

Fog will follow over in his turn, unless something happens.

Andoran

Male Human Druid

Kovar will follow as well, unless the plan all goes kaput!

Osirion

With a deep breath, Talhaearn crosses the bridge, which sways a little under his weight, but otherwise does not protest...

...reaching the door, he finds it unlocked, and it takes but the work of a moment to open it.

As soon as he does so, however, a stone rises from the floor, and whistles through the air towards him...

The Will of Zyphus: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12, for 1d6 ⇒ 1 damage.

...narrowly missing him.

"Quick", Hustavan cries, "rush through before it happens again!"

The entire party, as one, then piles across the bridge, and through to the next room, where four evenly-spaced canvas walls run parallel to each other in a row stretching from north to south through the middle of the room. On both sides of each wall hang dozens of paintings, drawings, and sketches of a variety of violence-themed scenes. The works each depict some horrible event—the tragic death of a child hit by a wagon, a building collapse killing dozens of workers, and so on. The largest painting, on the far left canvas wall, depicts the interior of a large, elegantly appointed opera house where rotting undead creatures feed on the living, which seems chillingly familiar...

Directly opposite the door you entered by, a heavy, oaken door occupies the middle of the north wall.

There is one slight problem, however: Kovar's wolf steadfastly refuses to cross the bridge, and starts barking uncontrollably, clearly terrified by whatever unnatural aura permeates the room.

Kovar, I am going to need a 'push' from you in order to get your wolf to cross the room...

Taldor

HP 48/48 | AC 15, Touch 13, Flat Footed 13 | CMD 13 | Fort: +7, Ref: +6, Will +7 | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0

DM

Spoiler:
Do I have a chance to see if any of the painting are the Spear Bearer one that I was meant to find as a part of my mission?

Osirion

Alie:
Certainly! It is fairly easy to find :-)

Whilst Kovar attempts to coax his wolf across the chamber, Alie begins to search amongst the paintings...

Taldor

HP 48/48 | AC 15, Touch 13, Flat Footed 13 | CMD 13 | Fort: +7, Ref: +6, Will +7 | Init. +6 | Perception +2 | SM 0

DM

Spoiler:
If I find it, I will make mental note of where it is, for easy and quick access on the way out.

Andoran

Male Human Druid

"Grey, to me! Its alright boy, come to me."
Kovar calls to his wolf holding his hand out in friendship.

Handle Animal: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

1,801 to 1,850 of 3,069 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ith's PFS pbp All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.