Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Ironclaw: The Will to Power

Game Master UltraFennec

An Ironclaw: Squaring the Circle game set in the environs of Triskellian, with potential to expand further. Focused on the intrigue and violence surrounding the conflicts between the rising Guilds, with a lighthearted base tone.


101 to 150 of 1,247 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Tiger Taoist, Sworddancer

"I am going outside before I do something enjoyably messy, like killing rude things."

Quinn goes outside to continue her sketch.


Male Otter Marine

James watches as the Tigress leaves, giving him a cold gaze as she does. Befuddled, he turns to the rest of the party and points at the door she left through, "Oi, anyone know what ther foreign lass's problem is?"

With a snort James then turns to the Phelan at the table and strikes up conversation with the man that dwarfs the young otter. "'Ey, I know your type! Just was talking with Delly here about this Phelan who used to work on th' ship fer the Captain. Good, loyal, sailor 'e was. Gotta lot er respect fer him and his kin..."

James interrupts himself with a hearty chuckle. "That said, I don't know how thins werk here, but on the sea respect is earned in deed not family or word. I'd say a'tween what ol' Viddy gave me and church boy, them docerments of th' Marriana's, and wut yer Eamonn told yee, we've got enough we don't need to be sittin' round this table enjoyin' ther spirits."

As abruptly as he sat down, James motions to get up, looking back to see if anyone is going to follow in his overzealous attempt to find action beyond what he created entirely on his own.


Male Raccoon: d6 Witch Finder: d6

Delroy cradled his forehead between thumb and pointer, shrugged, and sighed, "He is… Unique? Yes?" he asks Ceallach "And quite drunk by the look of things." The raccoon can be heard to mutter "This will be quite interesting. Yes indeed." as he slipped through the door, muffled by the robes he had been putting on.


Female Weasel Dilettante

"You've said twice you don't know how things work here, '...but on the sea, blahblahblah...'" The ermine leans across the table. "Well, I will do you this bit of kindness, otter. Look around you. This isn't the sea."

Rosza Juette straightens, then stands, adjusting her buff coat and surreptitiously re-settling her wheellock pistol hidden beneath its lapel. "You'd best get used to that, and you'd best get used to the idea that just because you have seen nothing respect-worthy doesn't mean there is nothing respect-worthy. And you'd best get used to the idea that some people would jail you or put a knife through you for your lack of respect."

Without awaiting a response, she bows to the others at the table and pushes through the students and other drinkers towards the door.


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

And now I think I'll move us on to the actual adventuring part! This constitutes our first Chapter (the prologue as it were), and since it took awhile I think it's about time for a debrief. Please use the Discussion thread to point out anything that bothers you, could be done better, lobby for your motto XP, what have you.

The Ironclaw Gang in: Sleight of Hand, Slight of Mind

New Town's higher class of establishment (and typically citizen) showed in every well-placed stone in the roads, many of the buildings seemingly attempting to outdo their neighbors. Even with night's seamy fingers of light roaming over the city as it rose away fromt he sea one could see the stark difference between this place and the docks, to say nothing of Old Town.

Getting to the East Gate wasn't particularly difficult since the traffic was crowded around the market areas and many night citizens were working, "working," or abed. Rosza's cadre awaited near the gate itself, arguing amongst themselves of some trivial matter, though at least two of them seemed near ready to come to blows, or perhaps spill blood on the fine architecture surrounding them. The arrival of the Madonna seemed to quell their fired spirits, the group hurriedly informing her of what they'd uncovered (almost falling over themselves in their attempts to please her. The hurried arrival of Guillaume in quite the panic stirred up laughter and friendly jibes, though the polecat couldn't stop looking behind himself and quickly suggested leaving via the North Gate to save travel time and perhaps confuse his pursuers.

And so with a full traveling party armed to the teeth and well loaded with necessaries (just in case), the journey to the Cornucopia inn and hopefully some answers that made sense began...and didn't take all that long really, thanks to a carriage or two helpfully acquired by a marten fervently desiring some attentions of "his" Lady. The extra infusion of funds Guillaume had evidently acquired allowed for staying in actual roadside inns (a wonderful initiative by the otherwise vexing Bisclavret) as opposed to camping or simple hostels. And after 7 days of travel, the Cornucopia came into sight as the tiny convoy made their slow way down the path toward the Muire Forest, the Walls of Calabria slowly fading from the northerly sight they'd obscured for days. The inn ahead was built sturdily, of the same stone that had likely built Harrowgate, but arranged in a much simpler and less fortress-like manner. After another hour of terribly slow (but careful) driving, the party finally reached their destination.

The common room displayed for the traveler the success of the business. For one it had an actual floor of wood and not cold stones or dirt, and for another there was wood paneling covering much of the wall. Bright light filtered in through carefully place windows which were crossbarred for support, and the ambience was on the whole pleasant.

The place was not particularly busy, as it was the middle of the day and most travelers had already moved on toward other destinations. Still there were a fair few in the common room, many of them likely employees of the Cornucopia taking advantage of a small window to eat before getting back to work. And at one large table, on the end closest to the door, sat a sparrow clad in short red breeches and a faded red vest, cheerily munching away at some sort of long, stringy edible...at least until he espied the troupe of nobles entering, upon which he leapt to his feet and offered the best bow he was capable of. His voice came out mildly nervous, and his taloned feet fidgeted uncontrollably.

"A-ah, honored signores, madonnas, welcome to the establishment of the Cornucopia. I am Jean-Yves the courier, and while I am not in the employ of goodman Derrik I will recommend him to the ends of the earth."


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

Rozsa's Big Ol' Gossip Roll: With 5 successes between your Gang of Irregulars and your Ally Guillaume, you've found a fair few interesting things.

-A number of Merchant's Guild members have lost a shipment, but only one typically.

-Some bigger companies like the Four Corners Coster have lost multiple shipments like Cedric has, and in a startlingly similar way too. Ceallach confirms that his friend works with them, and was the source of his information.

-While you don't have any more bills or manifests to check, the puzzle pieces you can fit together point to a large number of ship-building equipment and pieces being stolen.

-Guillaume wasn't able to drag any real specifics out from Uncle Apollinaire, but he did manage to acquire that travel money on very short notice. He must have been keeping it around his house, and Apollinaire has never kept his money outside of banks before.

-Beaurigard's heard scuttlebutt around the docks that someone's been smuggling in more contraband than usual, and of the particularly egregious kind: guns.


Female Bat : Star Elementalist

Natalia was delighted by the arrival of the carriage, as she was not looking forward to carrying all her items on her (even the weight of the idea of carrying them seem to sap her small frame of energy, much less actually carrying them in actuallity). Another advantage to the carriage was that Natalia would sleep in almost as much as Rosza Juette if given the chance, and the carriage gave her a place to nap the morning away (although by noon she was up and around, and would carry on almost all night; despite her adjustment to dayliving, her nocturnal nature wasn't too far from her).

During the trip, when she wasn't flying ahead to see what was next on the road, Natalia would pester Delroy with questions about his magical studies with a keen interest.

Arriving at the inn, Natalia is mildly delighted by the courier's manners, and gives a quick curtsy back.
I am Natalia Ivanova of House Repense," she replies. "What news do you have for us?"


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

The sparrow clucked his tongue like a Zhonggese Chicken and seemed to grow more restless as he spoke. "Madonna, the roads are unsafe for those not well-defended and with speed in their travel. Near Harrowgate's fortunes are quickly fading along with all those they deal with, all those poor sobs being robbed aye? They say the Doloreaux haven't fought with the Phelan for a fortnight, and in their pent up rage the wolves have turned on each other again. I put no stock in it, no signs of gunshots for the time. Otherwise only the usual tripe Madonna. This wolf saw a goblin in the woods near the city, a bear from the Wildenlands flew over the Walls of Calabria, and of course about a hundred sightings of the Rinaldi princes still alive and hale every tenday."

Finishing his report in a single breath, Jean-Yves took another, straightened, and suddenly seemed to see the group for the first time. "Ah, ah, wait just a moment...Lords and Ladies and valuable personages retained in service, you wonderful lot wouldn't happen to be here on call of one Cedric of Launts, would you? I'd dearly love to conclude my business with him, so as to continue doing business y'see."


Female Bat : Star Elementalist

"Yes, we have been sent by Goodman Cedric of Launts," Natalia replies, a hint of exasperation in her voice. "Why else would such a group of us travel together?" There is the slightest eye movement over towards James.
"Goodman Cedric said that you would have information for us, but did not say more than that. And so, Goodman Jean-Yves, what news do you have for us?"


Male Raccoon: d6 Witch Finder: d6
Natalia Ivanova wrote:

The carriage gave her a place to nap the morning away (although by noon she was up and around, and would carry on almost all night; despite her adjustment to dayliving, her nocturnal nature wasn't too far from her).

During the trip, when she wasn't flying ahead to see what was next on the road, Natalia would pester Delroy with questions about his magical studies with a keen interest.

Delroy fell back to his own nocturnal nature almost as readily as Natalia, and was more than happy to discuss the theories behind Thaumaturgy, and of course Magic in general. Once he got going it was obvious that the Raccoon was somewhat opinionated (And more than a little proud) about his school being 'Pure' magic. "Those who follow the Star school, however, almost have it right."

At times he'd try to follow her with his summoned light, while the Bat was out flying close to the wagons.

As she spoke to the Squirrel, Delroy eyeballed him sternly, but kept behind the Nobles. They would do the talking, and that would be fine by him. He can hang back and do his job.

DM:
Observation: d6 + Supernatural d10, d6 + Mind d8
1d10 ⇒ 61d8 ⇒ 11d6 ⇒ 21d6 ⇒ 4
Re-rolling 1d8: Favored Use: Detecting Magic
1d8 ⇒ 1
Damnit. heh heh.


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

If you're trying to detect magical stuff, he's got none and zilch going on around him, and he doesn't look the part anyway. Also, Jean-Yves is a Sparrow, not a Squirrel. It's OK, I forgive you. XD


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

"Aye, well and good then! Not the first time I've awaited arrivals to do me job and deliver the message, but my coin's almost gone and I've got to fly. Right after I show you folks to the last attack site, right. Well as you Lords and Ladies have been on the road in fine style, do ye fancy a chance to stretch your legs? Destination's not actually too far from here, a wonder nobody from the inn saw anything."


Female Bat : Star Elementalist

"Lead on, Goodman Jean-Yves, we will follow," Natalia replies. "Stretching one's legs and wings will not hurt us."

Natalia will follow where the sparrow leads, flying (although her skirt is not the ideal clothing to be flying in).


Tiger Taoist, Sworddancer

What? Didn't bats invent skorts? Or at least wear shorts when flying? Tsk tsk.

Quinn follows the sparrows lead, remaining quiet for now, but definitely enjoying the open road, wondering why anyone would fly in such a state of dress as that.


Male Raccoon: d6 Witch Finder: d6

Delroy also follows along, keeping his pace slow so Rosza will be able to overtake him should she follow as well… Also he is sadly as short of pace as he is in stature.


Male Wolf

"I don't suppose you'd be leading us to some Bisclavret I could be...unkindly to?" Ceallach grins toothily as he flexes his claws outward.


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

Jean-Yves looks askance and somewhat weary at Ceallach's question once he understood it over the thick brogue. "I've no idea of any honest sort. If ye have such a vendetta with the Bisclavret then I hope to the Light your bandits be Bisclavret so this mess can get sorted out sooner, and me back to regular work."

The courier sparrow led the party on foot and wing to a bend in the trail about an hour's walk westward. The turn of the road coincided with a dip in elevation as the well worn stones of the Via Salutis continued toward Harrowgate, visible in the distance as an almost hazy mirage through the thick foliage flanking the road.

The first thing one would see upon reaching this place would be the broken ruins of a covered shipping cart, its wheels and axles lying about one side of the road behind a tipped cart bed that was also in two pieces, something having split it in recent days. The harnesses for beasts of burden lay empty of their charges, and a few pieces of crates still lay strewn about the wreckage. Given the pattern, it was clear that the cart was run off the road and into the nearby foliage.

The foliage, which never would have been permitted to grow so close to the road in the Rinaldi's heyday, was likely the problem in this situation. The road was flanked by two sharp hills on either side, both covered in green, flowering bushes, weed-like brush, and trees of old, gnarled brown wood like the rest of the road. Barely five paces off the road itself one found the forest encroaching upon the safe travel of Calabria's peoples in a way that seemed both inviting and unsettling at the same time. The hills themselves didn't seem natural, cut far too cleanly and straight to have been anything but made that way by thinking beings.


Female Weasel Dilettante

Any number of conversations, some whispered, and some shrieked, have taken place between the pack of mustelines since the lot of them and a pair of carriages turned up at the East Gate and had to re-route around to the North. Matters have been somewhat twitchy ever since, with Rosza Juette comforting the sulky, placating the jealous, and then mercurially turning about and ensuring that anyone not-jealous become jealous. There's this peculiar dance of flirtation and competition going on between the diverse males and the Madonna de Vieuxpont, which manifests as a constant near-catastrophe of broken-up card-games, not-quite duels, subtle and not-so subtle intrigues, affronts bordering on speculated assassination, and now it has all been packed into a pair of carriages with the rest of the party. Rosza Juette seems to devote as much of her time to wheedling who will be in which carriage in an attempt to stave off disaster as anything else. By the time they reach the inn, even the ermine is starting to look a bit sulky and short of temper.

But no, despite the apparent conflicts, some sort of conspiracy is going on, as clearly the one thing the multiple mustelines seem to collude in is to indulge or at least not affront Madonna de Vieuxpont. This, the clever observer might conclude, provides an explanation for the practically coordinated way the otherwise jovially adversarial assortment of weasels have all taken to treating James. Knowing nods, pitying looks, and endless exchanges of hushed anecdotes about madmen and the lonely privations of shipboard life.

The good news is, it keeps them just looking at each other and nodding in commiseration as they flamboyantly indulge his apparent blindness to their hereditary superiority. The bad news is, the constant spate of irritations from the otter (and their apparent unwillingness to do anything about it) has the whole sneak of weasels even more on edge than they might otherwise be.

Oddly, Rosza appears to have gritted her teeth and decided to take on James as a sort of 'expert', attempting to go over the manifests with him to establish if there is any pattern to the ship-building supplies. This results in a fair bit of reading-aloud of boring lists (she doesn't for a moment suggest that he might be capable of reading...After all, he's a commoner) and inquiries as to the use of diverse bits of ironmongery, rigging tackle and the like. Her main line of questioning seems to be leading towards one single thought, which James may or may not be able to answer (it is one thing to be a sailor, another to build and provision a ship); is this enough material to create a ship, assuming one had craftsmen and a place to do it?

Upon reaching the inn, Rosza has gone into aloof and irritated mode, and while that probably is a good description of her state of mind after the trip, there has clearly been a conscious decision that the ermine is acting it now as well. She lets Natalia take the lead in dealing with the sparrow, but is clearly listening to every word. It is not until they have reached the ambuscade in the cut and the assorted weasels have begun to spread out, poke and scrutinize that she steps into the conversation.

As usual, with both boots.

"You noted, goodman Jean-Yves, that this was the last attack site." Rosza Juette observes dryly. "As a fellow who more often has a higher view than the rest of us, have you seen the other sites? Are they similar and are they far? Also, one thing that has not been made plain to me is if any of the drovers or their mercenary guards survived?" She gestures at the empty harnesses. "It seems that the drays did. I cannot imagine even the most industrious robbers dragging their corpses off without making an obvious trail of it, nor were they butchered here." Having looked once around the site, the ermine has extracted her pistol and is in the process of checking the wheel-lock's priming to ensure it is still good after the recent journey.

Dice, dice, dice:
Just looking about, as she has little experience with wagons and drays but quite possibly a tiny bit of an idea of how highwaymen (at least of the more noble sort) work.
(Mind + Observation): 1d8 + 1d4 ⇒ (5) + (3) = 8


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

@Rosza: You've noticed that while there's a clear trail into the brush to the north (probably from a dragged travois) that there's no sign of footprints of the drays, and the weather's been dry and clear for the last fortnight.

"The other sites Madonna? Aye, I've seen them both as bidden and paid for by Cedric. Your party likely passed the first one on your way to the Cornucopia. Between travelers, local village residents and scavengers it's been picked completely clean, and of course the time factor. Typical to wait a day, maybe two or three before sending out for a lost shipment. Frankly we didn't expect bandits." The sparrow coughed into one wing in mild embarrassment and continued after rubbing his beak in thought.

"The second site...the second is actually closer to the city than either of the others by a fair margin. So much so I rather wonder that nobody on the walls saw anything. If Madonna wishes, I could guide her there."


Male Wolf

Ceallach buts in on the conversation, eager to get Eamonn's errand done with and move on to poking Bisclavret with his claws. "Aye, let's get us moving toward the damned kilters' city. I've need to meet a friend there, no sense in wasting the time while it's good."

He impatiently stares at the sparrow, as if suggesting that it might become his lunch should it not hurry to perform as he put forth.


Tiger Taoist, Sworddancer

As Rosza goes over the lists, Quinn listens in occasionally asking about items certain words are naming and giving hopefully helpful input when she feels she has something to say.

When the get to the site, Quinn just pokes around the cart remains, looking at how it used to work as though comparing it to her homelands methods, while keeping an eye out for interesting clues or trinkets.

mind and observation
1d8 ⇒ 5
1d4 ⇒ 3
1d4 ⇒ 2


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

Technically one of you would be the "taskmaster" here and one would be assisting and offering the main roller more dice with your own rolls. Just for future reference. Typically you want the taskmaster to be whoever has the highest and most dice in a skill, which for Mind+Observe is actually Natalia, but I won't put actions in her mouth as it were. Once ye decide who the main investigator is, have them roll 2 extra d8s, one each for Rosza and Quinn's successes on their own rolls.

Jean-Yves looks suitably ghastly when Ceallach decides to enter the conversation, stammering out "Er...well...yes, but...shouldn't you-we finish with this site first? Who knows where, um...CLUES might be found?"


Tiger Taoist, Sworddancer

"That one is correct, check for clues first, then move on, unless you want to be caught in fight with part of group gone?" She looks questioningly at him with the last of her words before continuing to look around.


Female Bat : Star Elementalist

Natalia sighs to herself, and takes to the air to get a better overview of the site.
'Rosza again is in a mood dealing with her circus,' she thinks, eyeing the ambush from above. 'Poor Guillaume, so mistreated by her. And that Phelan is eager as always to fight something, I wonder if he has even realized that my House is allied with the Bisclavret? At least Quinn has some sense, and Deloy should be familiar with the idea of looking for clues. And where has that otter gotten off to?'

I guess since we don't know the rules that well, we missed the taskmaster bit. And right now, it seems that everyone is off doing their own thing, since we haven't quite jelled yet as a group it seems.
Anyway, my mind + observation:
1d4 ⇒ 3
1d6 ⇒ 2
1d8 ⇒ 5
I'll roll the other D8's if we decide that I'm to be co-ordinating this as the taskmaster.


Female Weasel Dilettante

Seems sensible that you should be. Rosza Juette would certainly consider you more educated than herself... <_<


Female Bat : Star Elementalist

And yet, Natalia hasn't pushed herself forward as the leader yet. In fact, Rosza Juette seems to be the de facto leader because she has the largest group of minions, and because she seems to act like she is.


Male Raccoon: d6 Witch Finder: d6

Delroy, for his part, will be scanning the area, clues both mundane and Magical… Something out of place within the scene as a whole.

Afterward, he approached the area intent on deeper clues.

Dice:
Supernatural (10), Mind (8), Supernatural (6), Observation (6)
1d10 ⇒ 11d8 ⇒ 31d6 ⇒ 41d6 ⇒ 2

Re-rolling d10: Favoured Use: Detecting Magic.
1d10 ⇒ 6

d8 Mind, d8 Searching
1d8 ⇒ 81d6 ⇒ 3


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

@Delroy: With two successes on your roll you've granted the taskmaster another d8 assist die, two if Natalia or Quinn since they can benefit from your Supernatural clues as well, and uncovered a faint "scent" of residual magic surrounding the scene. It's too old to tell just what kind of energy it was, but it leads down the road toward Harrowgate.

@Everyone else: we're up to three assist dice, or four if someone with Supernatural is taskmaster. Time to make a decision and roll 'em!


Tiger Taoist, Sworddancer

Quinn continues checking things out, With me using a computer with bracket keys!(since my phone doesn't)

Supernatural
1d6 ⇒ 4
1d4 ⇒ 2

Mind
1d8 ⇒ 4

Observation
1d4 ⇒ 3
1d4 ⇒ 1

My rolls are above, as 7 hours have passed I will roll the bonuses below.

1d8 ⇒ 4
1d8 ⇒ 2
1d8 ⇒ 4
1d8 ⇒ 5


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

Fine by me. I'll hit up the next info bit when I'm more awake to interpret my notes properly.


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

The cart itself gives you no clue as to its origins, but a scan of the environs yields a small trail of cleared brush nearly hidden by the wreckage where the group finds traces of the cart animals being led along by a sentient, of decent size if claw marks are to be trusted. The trail leads into denser and denser foliage to the north, but after 10 minutes following it the trail disappears neatly, no trace of further progress, but no further clue found in the area of its termination.

Back at the site, the corpse of the cart driver, a slight wolf male, common by the look, dress, and lack of kilt, is found in the bushes near the cart itself. His throat has been cut, and rather cleanly, but yields no further clues on his own.

The most telling piece of interest is a partial crate sideboard. Only half of it can be found, but it's from the top of a crate and thus yields part of the mandatory painted sign of identification...and as far as any of you can tell, it's not part of the Fleet Feet company's sign.


Male Wolf

Ceallach sniffs and snorts, but doesn't come up with anything to say. "Not our stuff, not our problem. Hey, sparrow, wanna show me that one up near Harrowgate? I gotta drop something off anyway."


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

"If the group is finished investigating here, then by all means we should progress to the next site. Perhaps more clues will be found there?" Jean-Yves shifted uneasily, as though afraid to be caught out in the forest any longer than necessary. Odd for a sparrow.


Male Wolf

The large wolf narrows his eyes. "What's bothering you, sparrow? Leaves not your thing?"


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

The bird sputtered but managed to form words despite his natural terror of large predators with larger teeth. "T-there have been attacks here, and the ones who did it are still out there, at large! Of course I'm frightened! We have no idea how many of them are there, or who's leading them, and they're obviously well acquainted with the forest, moreso than I. To top it off, I'm not a warrior like you and your friends here, I'm just a messenger! I'd be killed on the spot before I could fly away!"

His terror certainly seemed real enough. As if realizing what he'd said for the first time, the sparrow hopped over toward the recognized nobility in the group and asked "Lords and Ladies, if your esteemed personages are finished investigating this site, it behooves us to away to the next one if you wish to make use of the light and be safe within Harrowgate's walls by nightfall. Not that such would impede most of your group of course, but prudent nonetheless." He made a show of bowing and scraping so as not to offend, but listening to him one just got the feeling that he was a coward and afraid for his life before danger had even reared its head.


Male Raccoon: d6 Witch Finder: d6

"Indeed," Delroy nods, "There is a trail, a faint supernatural… Like a tingle in my ears, It leads north toward Harrowgate. Perhaps being closer to the other site will allow me to figure out the source."

He then bent down and picked up the crate's sideboard with the identifying marks, "It may not be our target, but it is a clue. And if the bandits took the rest of the crate with them, I might be able to scry through this piece and see their hideout." He then shrugged a little, "Though right now I am still learning how."


Female Weasel Dilettante

Rosza Juette disengages herself from a quiet debate or discussion with the rest of her slinky coterie. "What irks me," she mutters to noone in particular. "This appears to be the cleanest bit of violent banditry any of us have ever seen. Usually either the wagon, the coach, or the rider is allowed to leave minus their valuables...Murder carrying a somewhat greater penalty than robbery... or if it turns into a fight you can tell that there was evidence of a fight...And I don't see any."

"This looks less like a fight than a murder, if you see what I mean, and one does not usually cut someone's throat cleanly in a fight, but by surprise. And there's no sign of any injured mercenaries about."

The ermine's nape pricks up and she looks away towards Harrowgate at Delroy's comment. "Magic. And a murder, not a fight. I do wonder if, present company excluded, good Cedric should have taken more interest in what mercenaries his carters hired. Let us see another."


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

Traveling to the second attack site was a comfortable affair helped by carriages that must have been told to catch up after a certain time had passed.

After approximately four hours of travel with the forest close in on all sides, the foliage finally began to thin out again, and the sharp-eyed could pick out bits of Lake Coire through the trees. The condition of the road steadily improved the closer the group came to the great fortress city of the Bisclavret, and by the time it finally came into sight it had become clear that the wolves were commanding more money for upkeep than Triskellian by quite a figure. Nestled in its rocky promontory, the stone and iron edifice remained out of reach as the carriages stopped some distance away. Whether it was actually close enough for a scuffle to be heard or seen couldn't be known from this angle, but the clear remains of the second shipping cart were scattered in pieces down the hill leading toward the wide Nith River.

Here and there a few crates looked intact from a distance, and on the whole this cart was more intact than the last one, but details remained scarce without an investigation, something that would be more difficult as light continued to fade and the banks of the river became more treacherous, sloping dangerously steep in places.

@Everyone with Supernatural Marks: the traces of magic you've picked up on have grown more powerful and "thicker" the closer you've come to the site, and now that it's visible you can almost see a shroud lying over this one. Despite being older, whatever magics were used here were stronger than the most recent site by far.


Female Bat : Star Elementalist

Natalia impulsively flies down to investigate while the light is still good.


Tiger Taoist, Sworddancer

Quinn catches up with Ivanova, feeling that it not good to be caught away from allies here. She keeps watchful eye till everyone arrives then she takes a closer look around.

Supernatural
1d6 ⇒ 2
1d4 ⇒ 3

Mind
1d8 ⇒ 6

Observation
1d4 ⇒ 3


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

Quinn's cursory glance while waiting for the others to disembark their transports didn't yield much, but it's possible that there may be intact cargo left on this wagon. Her hurried jaunt down the slope proves the guess true.


Female Bat : Star Elementalist

Natalia also pokes around, flying from one spot to another.
Observation: 1d8 ⇒ 5 1d4 ⇒ 3
Mind: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Supernatural: 1d8 ⇒ 5 1d4 ⇒ 2


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

Having just looked at the book I realized I should be making people roll some Searching to dig through the site as well. Apparently Observation is solely for passive sensory info. DERP.

@Everyone: Assuming you're trying to be quick about it, we'll use the "ransack" example under Searching and I'll ask everyone to roll Body, Speed, Mind and Searching, and I'll roll assist dice and add them onto whoever scores highest to keep it simple!

Natalia's quick look around from her vantage point has noted that once again the animal harnesses appear to be empty, and a set of wagon tracks in the grass and mud leading toward the river. It looks like there may be something of interest on the riverbank as well, but the water on the shoreline has muted its clarity from this distance.

Her magical senses easily pick up on the aura surrounding the attack site. While there are a few threads of power you're not familiar with, the sharp tang of a smoke-like scent hits your mental nostrils like a church bell being rung atop your head. The essence of the Salamander. Someone used quite a bit of Elemental Fire here.


Male Raccoon: d6 Witch Finder: d6

As the light began to fade, Delroy conjured a glowing light to to aid those who were not as blessed as he in the coming dark. However, he waited for the transport to stop before disembarking to see what might be seen.

Dice:
Mind1d8 ⇒ 1
Observation1d6 ⇒ 1
Supernatural1d10 ⇒ 31d6 ⇒ 1At least it's not a botch.

Edit: Body, Speed, Mind and Searching

Dice:
Body1d6 ⇒ 2
Speed1d4 ⇒ 1
Mind1d8 ⇒ 2
Searching1d6 ⇒ 2


Female Bat : Star Elementalist

Natalia's ransacking Search
Body: 1d6 ⇒ 5
Speed: 1d8 ⇒ 4
Mind: 1d6 ⇒ 6
Searching: 1d8 ⇒ 6
Not bad, eh?


Male Wolf

Ceallach isn't the type to purposefully go digging around for things, but his strong body aids the best it can. He makes reasonable pace, but his efforts would be far more effective if he knew how best to make use of his skills.

Body:1d8 ⇒ 5
Speed:1d6 ⇒ 3
Mind:1d4 ⇒ 3


Female Weasel Dilettante

Rosza Juette slinks about, muttering to herself and frowning, occasionally comparing notes with the other mustelines. She does seem predisposed to follow the wagon-tracks to the river, but with the light fading is not quite prepared to divide the group just yet.

Dice:
Body 1d6 ⇒ 4
Speed 1d8 ⇒ 2
Mind 1d8 ⇒ 3


Male Hooman Utter Fool/4

Assist Dice
1d8 ⇒ 6
1d8 ⇒ 1

And that's enough successes to get everything I had laid out for this site. Great job everybody!

The three crates remaining in the wagon's corpse have been pried open and rather obviously shoved aside in favor of whatever else the robbers were looking for. They contain nothing of true value; a small bolt of rough cloth or two, some baubles, and woodworking tools.

Upon examining the crate lids and comparing it with the broken half brought from the third attack site, it becomes clear that these goods left behind are not in fact belonging to the Fleet Feet Shipping Company, but ownership is a mystery until Ceallach recognizes the symbol his friend Eamonn wears on his livery: that of the Four Corners Coster, a larger organization and also a Merchants Guild member. A company that according to Ceallach's information is also suffering similar attacks.

It's not difficult to confirm the thaumaturgic trail ends at this point...or perhaps begins? With something so old it's difficult to tell, but whoever used Fire magic here was rather skilled, as the grass is barely singed, and the wagon bears scorch marks but hasn't burned to cinders either. The slinkier, darker threads of power are more difficult to pin down, and without more evidence the mages' commiseration turns up only that it feels dark and controlling.

Finally, a thorough combing through the weeds and reeds at river's edge yields not only tracks, but a wedge of dirt and sand not fully washed away by the current, heavier by far on one end than the other. Someone beached a watercraft here, and then left loaded down quite a bit moreso than when they came. It's difficult to tell, but Beaurigard and James both being somewhat knowledgeable of the water figure between themselves that the craft came from upstream...where lies Harrowgate.


Male Raccoon: d6 Witch Finder: d6

"We might be dealing with a Warlock, The command over fire is amazing." Delroy was busy trying to reconstruct the attack based on the physical scorching on the wreck. He looked worried, passing through certain areas, which chilled his spine, but offered nothing useful save for an inkling.

"The Fire's aura is so disciplined, it did not come from a Druid, or other heathen. Hence Warlock. These darker energies must have been from the same sort of disciplined mind. Either a Necromancer, or one of the Cognoscenti."


Tiger Taoist, Sworddancer

"So you would discount a magic user simply because of the tradition they follow? I have seen enough in life believe that to do such would be foolish. These "druids" might be simple and unlikely, I can't really say, but do not say impossible either, it closes your mind to the possibility of something that normally doesn't happen, and when it does you would never see it."

She looks to Rosza,
"You said these things were mostly ship parts? Perhaps they are building a ship somewhere along the stream? Any way to check along the stream for some places to make a ship, then check them out?"

101 to 150 of 1,247 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ironclaw: The Will To Power All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.