Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Iron Gestalts

Game Master CyberMephit

Combat map


1 to 50 of 307 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

The town of Torch is not going through the best of times. Eight days ago, the famous violet flame, after which the town was named, has stopped coming from the top of the Black Hill. This is a headache for the town’s famous metalworking industry, as the unnaturally hot flame allowed for cheap smelting of adamantite and rarer skymetals. The town is filling up with frustrated miners and scavengers coming to sell the ore nobody buys, and equally frustrated traders coming to buy the skymetal goods nobody sells. The town has also come to rely on the flame for incinerating its waste, and by now a growing smell of rot is starting to spread across the households. To make matters worse, actual splitting headaches have started to spread among the town populace like plague - some speculate they are connected with the piles of refuse contaminating the town’s water supply again after it has been cleansed in the Crowfeather Palace, others place the blame on the strange fluids seeping from the top of the Black Hill from where the violet flame once burned.

Citizens are concerned about the future, since so far the ungodly taxes and tariffs imposed by the Technic League on the skymetal profits have bought the town relative autonomy and freedom. All manners of rumors are starting to spread - some imply that the Technic League themselves are behind the ordeal, in a plot to take over the place once the town accrues enough debt, and others say that the cabal is so outraged at the loss of income that they managed to persuade the Black Sovereign himself to visit the town to find out who is responsible. Such visits, it is added in hushed tone, never end without a few people brutally executed and a few technological marvels "confiscated", androids among them.

Since the day the flame has gone out, the town’s eyes were set on Khonnir Baine - a councilman, inventor, businessman and the closest person you have to what humans call "a friend". Khonnir has done a lot for the town’s prosperity since he came here from Chesed a few years back with his tomboy daughter Val, including promoting acceptance of androids. Always the responsible leader but also an ever-curious researcher, Khonnir set about to investigate the Torch hinterlands, soon returning with the news of heretofore undiscovered caverns below the town. The town council has promptly announced a 2000gp reward for exploring the caverns and finding out if there’s anything in them that could have disturbed the flame, but the first two groups of volunteers never returned. Undeterred, Khonnir has gathered his own party of explorers and managed to return alive five days ago. They spoke of dangers from the Darklands and of technological ruins beneath the town, presenting a deactivated automaton they have managed to salvage as proof. With their hopes restored, the council have sent an out-of-town adventuring group devoted to Brigh to investigate the ruins, only to have them disappear again. Two days ago, Khonnir’s group made their second foray, this time prepared to face technology rather than wild critters. However, they have not reported back.

With Khonnir’s disappearance, it seems that Torch is quickly losing all hope. Some citizens begin packing up their things. The council has doubled the reward for returning Khonnir’s body to 4000gp, prepared to bring him back from the dead. In the unlikely event he is returned alive, they will also throw in the scroll of resurrection they kept for this purpose. So far, however, no brave souls have stepped in to tread where so many before them have perished. But of course, the least fortunate person in town right now is probably Khonnir’s daugher Val. The normally cheerful and active girl has holed up in “the Foundry Tavern”, the Baine family establishment, keeping it empty of patrons and ready to host any adventurers willing to mount the rescue attempt.

It is on its doorstep where you find yourself, drawn there in part by your routine habits, and in part by knowing from the time you’ve spent among humans that, unlike most androids, it is not desirable to leave them alone for long when they are distressed. And it seems that the folk wisdom, this peculiar heuristics derived from inaccurate reports of isolated accidents across centuries, is inscrutably right again, for as you approach the tavern, you hear something startling—a scream of terror and the sound of crashing and mayhem coming from Khonnir’s small stone house behind the tavern!

And we open right into action! Feel free to describe your time in Torch and the approach to the tavern. I’ll post the map link later today.
EDIT: and the map link is up!


Male Android Gestalt Seeker Inquisitor 1/Fighter 1, hp 8 / 12 (used repairing nanites)

I have found a place for myself in Torch, and have come to consider it my home. These recent developments have me concerned. The news of Khonnir’s disappearance and assumed death trouble me deeply, and I deduced that I must take matters into my own hands. When I approach the Foundry Tavern—as much as out of concern for Val as to gather more information as to Khonnir’s recent activities—and hear the scream, my normally tactical and insightful responses are overwhelmed by concern. Not bothering to take the time to look for cover, I round the corner with shield raised and javelin ready.

Rolls if you need them; this is my first pbp experience, so just let me know if I'm doing it wrong.
Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Javelin: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 221d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


- (Female) Living Weapon/Numerian Scavenger 2
Fifteen:
(Android) HP: 8/20 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +1 | Init: +6 | Perc: +8 SM: +6 Stealth: +9 DD:+14 | 30ft Speed | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Active conditions:

Fifteen had been out, trying to purchase a few necessary ingredients for dinner. She was certain that there was some ginger root still in the cupboard, but Val was insistent and, in a rare moment of insight, Fifteen had realised that what Val really needed was some time alone. Despite completing the shopping quickly she lingered on the journey home, hanging on the edge of some conversations and, occasionally, receiving commiserations from some of Torch's more sympathetic citizens.

The scream from inside the house runs like lightning through Fifteen's auditory processors and she drops the bag, going from a walk to a dead sprint in seconds flat. As she barrels towards the door she can't help but notice another man no, android - like me! moving cautiously with weapons out towards the door. Concern for her sister driving her Fifteen pushes unceremoniously past him, barely aware of the two vivid blue hatchets which have formed in her hands.

Since we seem to be starting in media res
Init: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike

Rur, you're doing fine! Most people write in the third person, in my experience. But, I mean, if 1st person is easier to you, that's fine. 3rd person is easier to narrate when it comes to telling what spells you're casting/special actions you're taking. And works well with blending die rolls with narrative. I'm not going to stop you, of course. Did you get a chance to read the formatting guide that was put up?

Baleiro had finished what class he could hold that day, as with the increasing dysfunction of the town caused many youths to not attend, as their concerns lie elsewhere. Collecting up his equipment and changing back into his armor, Baliero will leave the small building that he was allowed to rent in order to hold classes. He knew Khonnir, as he had come to the man both so that he could be examined, but also so that Baleiro could get the man's input on setting the curriculum for Torch's citizens.

His routine had always been to check on the others, as some anomaly in his core allowed him to properly process human emotion, and he recognized that Val is in need of 'cheering up'. After weighing the issues, Baleiro has realized that finding Val's father is currently more important to the safety and security of Torch than teaching the residents.

Baleiro approached the Tavern when the scream rings out. Recognizing that sound as a potential threat, he advances faster. TWo others are by the door, both moving towards the sound, one he recognizes as Val's adopted sister. His grip tightens on the Nodachi he's kept with him since he had awoken years before. There might be need of his weapon, though he isn't sure what he could do to help.

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Fifteen, your stat bar says you have a +4 initiative but you rolled with a +6. Did I miss something?


assuming you are approaching from the left-hand edge of the map

The rhythmic crashing sounds and the occasional screams seem to be coming from further inside the house, the far end from where you're at.

Perception (Sense Motive) DC15:
The screaming voice belongs to Val. She doesn't sound hurt - yet, but terrified of someone or something. The screams alternate between "Stop!" and "Help!".

if you attempt to open the door:

Spoiler:

It's firmly closed but not locked. The hall is empty and the noise is coming from a room further past the hall.
Perception DC15:

The door, the lock, and the windows are all intact, there are no signs of forced intrusion.


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike

Perception (sense motive): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

As an aside, I never realized you could put a spoiler within a spoiler

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Baleiro will slow as he gets to the door, his head tilting as he tries to listen.


- (Female) Living Weapon/Numerian Scavenger 2
Fifteen:
(Android) HP: 8/20 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +1 | Init: +6 | Perc: +8 SM: +6 Stealth: +9 DD:+14 | 30ft Speed | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Active conditions:

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9

Fifteen is in too much of a rush to make out the nuances of Val's voice - not that she's ever been good at that... Racing up to the door she jerks it open, remembering to twist the handle left rather than right (it had been backwards ever since a drunk broke the handle and Khonnir decided to fix it himself. "I can reawaken technology no-one has ever seen!" He'd said. "I can manage a door handle!" Val had forbidden Fifteen from mentioning that he put it on backwards...)

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

Slowing to open the door gives her enough time to realise that a burglary is unlikely, but that just confuses her more - her sister is usally very level headed, not the kind to make a fuss over nothing.


Male Android Gestalt Seeker Inquisitor 1/Fighter 1, hp 8 / 12 (used repairing nanites)

I'll read the sticky threads in the pbp discussion. Using third person is no problem.

Rur follows Fifteen; she knows where she's going.

Perception (SM): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

This is strange. Nothing seems amiss. What is the screaming about?


As you pause at the front door to examine the empty hallway, the side door suddenly bursts open as a strange, vaguely humanoid metal contraption lurches forth!
Init: 1d20 ⇒ 2
Surprise round
The construct staggers forward on three spidery legs in uneven gait.
Its torso, arms and head are vaguely humanoid, with one blazing “eye” in the center of its head and a four-fingered hand on each of its four arms. One pair of the arms is occupied with holding a pile of stones with bits on dried mortar on them, clearly freshly pried out of the house walls.
Bits and pieces of its chassis are missing, exposing the delicate circuitry within, and it makes loud and tortured grinding noises as it moves.
As it notices you, the 'eye' blinks orange and then turns bright red. It emits a loud buzzing noise as the free arms begin grabbing the air in front of you.

Rur and Fifteen:
You recognize the automaton which Khonnnir brought back from his first foray into the caverns last week - but it was completely inert until now!

Initiative order: Rur, Fifteen, Baleiro, enemy


Male Android Gestalt Seeker Inquisitor 1/Fighter 1, hp 8 / 12 (used repairing nanites)

Rur steps into the hallway and backs away, chucking his javelin at the automaton and leaving room for Fifteen to engage with those energy hatches she manifested.

I guess I'll roll my attack again because "saving" a roll is cheesy in my book, even though it was a good one!

Javelin: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 61d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

I'd also like a Knowledge (engineering) check to determine if I can figure anything out about this contraption, specifically if it's resistant to one of the three main weapon types so I can shout that info to my allies.

Knowledge (engineering): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


Rur:

It has the usual construct immunities (nonlethal, fatigue, mind-affecting, bleed and generally anything that needs a Fort save), but it's not particularly resistant to any damage type. Further, it's vulnerable to electricity.
The thing appears to be significantly damaged from its original state and it's likely that it had more capabilities when it was intact, but right now it can do little more than slam you. Pieces of its metal shell are missing, exposing complex inner components inside, and with a lucky blow hitting such a spot you could do even more damage than usual. it's vulnerable to critical hits

Rur's javelin misses the thing, which doesn't even quite seem to notice it is being attacked.

Initiative order: Rur, Fifteen, Baleiro, enemy


Male Android Gestalt Seeker Inquisitor 1/Fighter 1, hp 8 / 12 (used repairing nanites)

To Fifteen, Rur yells, "this automaton is already damaged and seems to be malfunctioning. If your energy weapons are capable of producing the proper charge, you may be able to overload it." It's vulnerable to electricity.


- (Female) Living Weapon/Numerian Scavenger 2
Fifteen:
(Android) HP: 8/20 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +1 | Init: +6 | Perc: +8 SM: +6 Stealth: +9 DD:+14 | 30ft Speed | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Active conditions:

Fifteen moves quickly, sidestepping into the doorway half-way down the hall to avoid being directly in the firing line of her unexpected, and well informed, ally. Swinging low she attempts to take out one of the creatures multiple legs.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12 Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Fifteen's strike nearly misses its target, and only accidentally grazes a creature's flailing arm on the backswing.

Initiative order: Rur, Fifteen, Baleiro, enemy -3hp


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike

"Engaging Threat..." Baleiro announces, moving forward and drawing the Nodachi as he walks. Though he'd not had reason to use it since his initial awakening, it felt very comfortable in his hands. His attack was, however, not as precise as he had initially theorized it would be. The attack strikes, but in his mind, something seemed off.

Nodachi: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


argh... I didn't look at the map for my previous post and didn't notice that Fifteen went behind cover
Despite any flaws in Baleiro's technique, his hit does substantial damage to the automaton, forcing it to drop the pile of rubble it was holding, raising a small cloud of dust beneath it. Its square is now difficult terrain.
It emits a loud beep as its now-free arms forcefully hit the walls around it, making the crashing sound you heard earlier and punching a hole in one of them. One of the arms reaches out to Baleiro, attempting to rip one of his limbs off - but it doesn't look like a retaliation and more like a methodical attempt to disassemble him.
slam: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
dmg: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
The arm's damaged joints, however, make loud grinding noises as it tries to extend, and allow Baleiro to dodge the attack with little effort.

Initiative order: Rur, Fifteen, Baleiro, enemy -9hp


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike

I'm starting to feel bad for this robot. :( Of course I don't have any compelling reason to NOT knock it to pieces.


Male Android Gestalt Seeker Inquisitor 1/Fighter 1, hp 8 / 12 (used repairing nanites)

Rur draws another javelin and attempts to hit the automaton without hitting Baleiro.

Javelin: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 111d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 Target has cover for +4 AC, Rur has Precise Shot for no melee penalty.


- (Female) Living Weapon/Numerian Scavenger 2
Fifteen:
(Android) HP: 8/20 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +1 | Init: +6 | Perc: +8 SM: +6 Stealth: +9 DD:+14 | 30ft Speed | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Active conditions:

Fifteen ducks low, using the imposing structure of the man she vaguely recognises as a local teacher, to mask her blow.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23 Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

This attack is much more sure, although it's impact seems to be little more than the previous one.


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike

Baleiro attempts another attack, his senses telling him that he should be better at this than he was, but... his skill seemed sufficient for the moment. He tries putting more muscle into the hit.

Using Power Attack
Attack: 1d20 + 3 - 1 ⇒ (16) + 3 - 1 = 18
Damage: 1d10 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 2 = 13

This shot seems to have a resounding hit, and he notices a flicker of red in the circuitry of his arms. Am I causing damage to my systems? he worries.


Rur finds it hard to launch the javelin in a proper arc in such cramped quarters, and it lands harmlessly (but loudly) at the construct's feet.
Fifteen finally manages to strike one of its legs, and as it struggles to regain the balance, Baleiro's powerful blow smashes its head clean off. The automaton goes down in a shower of white sparks, its limbs jerk one final time and it goes silent like a weird dead insect.

You hear Val's frightened voice coming from the storeroom further past the door: Who's there? Hello? Is the thing dead... again?


Male Android Gestalt Seeker Inquisitor 1/Fighter 1, hp 8 / 12 (used repairing nanites)

"It is safe now. Your sister is here, as well as friends of your father. Are you injured? May we enter?" asks Rur as he recovers his javelins.


- (Female) Living Weapon/Numerian Scavenger 2
Fifteen:
(Android) HP: 8/20 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +1 | Init: +6 | Perc: +8 SM: +6 Stealth: +9 DD:+14 | 30ft Speed | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Active conditions:

"Val - the robot is dead. I had help killing it. You can come out now." Fifteen calls, her energy weapons dissolving into a brief burst of blue mist.


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike

"I am also here." Baleiro replies. "I do not know you."

He'll sheathe his weapon and set it aside before crouching and picking through the remains of the robot. It was easy to imagine it going rogue like that, but that doesn't mean he's not curious as to why. Picking up the decapitated 'head' of the robot, he fiddles with it until he hears Val's response.


After a few moments of huffing and puffing, Val emerges in the doorway. Her clothes are dusty and torn in places, and there are trails of tears on her cheeks, but she doesn't look hurt. When she sees Fifteen, she smiles and throws herself into a hug, and then takes a somewhat more serious expression as she offers Rur a handshake.
I'm so glad you're here! And you have a new friend? That's nice, I always told you you need to go out more!
As for what happened - I went down to the storeroom to pick up some pickles for my lunch, and noticed that this thing Dad brought here from those blasted caverns had a blinking light on it. I got curious and came closer, and it suddenly came to life and tried to grab me! Tore away a part of my sleeve, but I managed to hide under the table over there. I thought it'will go after me but it didn't, and instead it started tearing apart the house... Why would it even do this?!
If there are more where that came from, what if they came alive too while Dad was down there? I'm so scared for him, please tell me he's going to be fine!
She begins sobbing softly.


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike

Emotions! I know what those are!

Perception (sense motive): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Baleiro will pat Val on the back, his face looking actually sympathetic. "There, there." he says, giving her an encouraging smile. "Your father is the most skilled human I know. If anyone would survive, it would be him. The town leadership has offered to pay for his resurrection even if he is dead, so don't worry."

I am a MASTER of encouragement. :p

He sets the robot's 'head' down. "I was coming to speak with you about going searching for him, and to ask if you had any clues as to what route he would have taken. I believe that in the long run, the greater good is achieved by recovering your father. I intend on finding him and bringing him back."


Male Android Gestalt Seeker Inquisitor 1/Fighter 1, hp 8 / 12 (used repairing nanites)

Rur stares at what is left of the machine. I truly believe my existence will culminate in some currently undiscovered purpose. Could such a madness overtake ones such as us were we significantly damaged?

Rur shudders at the thought, then remembers he should try to comfort the human. He summons a smile and says, "It seems all three of us androids are united by concern for your father. And these two have put my combat skills to shame. We will do our best to discern his fate."

Influence (diplomacy): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


- (Female) Living Weapon/Numerian Scavenger 2
Fifteen:
(Android) HP: 8/20 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +1 | Init: +6 | Perc: +8 SM: +6 Stealth: +9 DD:+14 | 30ft Speed | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Active conditions:

Fifteen returns Val's hug - this is something she is actually good at! It's been ages since Val last called her 'as stiff as a metal pole!'. "I am concerned about Father too Val. I'm sure that the Council are doing everything that they can."

The other two androids speaking causes Fifteen to turn sharply to face them both. "You plan on going to rescue my... our father? Then I am with you. Thank you." The last sentence is only added when Val digs her sister hard in the ribs, a gesture which causes Val to wince sharply immediately afterwards. "Val, we will go and report to the council at once. Please look through Father's study for anything that would give us a clue."

After releasing her sister Fifteen straightens and heads for the door. As she lead the way back down the street she turns first to Rur, then to Baleiro. "Why do you concern yourselves about my father?" Her tone is not accusatory, simply curious.


Val's greyish-blue eyes widen at the mention of the resurrection scroll.
"No, no, he's not dead, you hear me? I know he is alive, I feel it! You... I don't think you can understand."

"But you would really do this?! You would go and look for my... for our father?! Thank you so much for this! I just wish I could be as brave as you are when I finally grow up... If you need rest or food at any time, come to my tavern and I will ensure you get a king's welcome!"

"Dad didn't really leave much behind - I don't think he expected to be out there for a long time... Most of his notes he took to the council in the Town Hall, so I think you would do well to head there - maybe they will know about the things he encountered down there.

The only other thing... I have been... umm... cleaning up the house, and accidentally found that Dad left some of the reagents in his lab. Looks like he didn't have time to clean it up properly before he had to head out again. If one of you is skilled in alchemy, perhaps you would be able to decipher what was he trying to prepare for."


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike

"I teach basic alchemy. I will... 'give it a shot', as they say." Baleiro offers.

Craft Alchemy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Whoo!


It's been like five minutes... Do you get alerts or something? My RSS reader takes 30 minutes to refresh. Also, nice roll!

Khonnir's lab is a haphazard but ingenious mix of alchemical devices and components, arcane tomes, and technological gizmos. A few beakers have remains of colorful and/or smelly substances in them, but none have enough to qualify as a full potion or extract (though there are enough raw materials and catalysts to craft more).
Among the remaining substances, you recognize an extract that bestows limited protection from energy damage, a few vials of acid, an unnaturally cold substance called liquid ice, and an antitoxin.

A drawing board next to the mixing table contains some formulas and equations, mixing alchemical formulas with symbols of unknown origin.

Knowledge (Engineering) DC 19:

The top half of the board lists some of the fundamental technology principles called 'thermodynamics'. One of the laws states that the heat can only travel from a warmer body to a colder one.
Paradoxically, the alchemical formulas on the bottom half are arranged in such a way so that they arrive to a directly opposite result, contradicting and disproving the equations above.


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike

I just happened to check my campaigns page at the right time, I guess? I WISH I could get alerts! :D

"This one will protect against energy damage. These identical vials are vials of acid. A jar of 'liquid ice', which defies its classification since ice is the third state of matter, not the second... The last vial is an antitoxin."

He will turn to look at the drawing board, staring at them for several seconds before shaking his head. "I have no information on these. I am sorry."


to be clear - these are not actual items, just evidence of their creation by Khonnir.


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike

Oh, darn. :P


- (Female) Living Weapon/Numerian Scavenger 2
Fifteen:
(Android) HP: 8/20 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +1 | Init: +6 | Perc: +8 SM: +6 Stealth: +9 DD:+14 | 30ft Speed | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Active conditions:

Take 10 on the Knw Engineering roll.

Fifteen stands in front of the drawing board, head cocked as she deciphers her fathers handwriting. "He's disproving the laws of thermodynamics. Moving energy from a cold source to a hotter one.." She shrugs, a surprisingly human gesture, and turns away.

"To the town hall then."

As in previous post...
After releasing her sister Fifteen straightens and heads for the door. As she lead the way back down the street she turns first to Rur, then to Baleiro. "Why do you concern yourselves about my father?" Her tone is not accusatory, simply curious.


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike
Fifteen wrote:

Take 10 on the Knw Engineering roll.

Fifteen stands in front of the drawing board, head cocked as she deciphers her fathers handwriting. "He's disproving the laws of thermodynamics. Moving energy from a cold source to a hotter one.." She shrugs, a surprisingly human gesture, and turns away.

"To the town hall then."

As in previous post...
After releasing her sister Fifteen straightens and heads for the door. As she lead the way back down the street she turns first to Rur, then to Baleiro. "Why do you concern yourselves about my father?" Her tone is not accusatory, simply curious.

Baleiro will produce a piece of paper with a meticulously drawn graph and some math underneath. "By my calculations, the amount of benefit your father provides to the town is 10 to the 3rd power greater than that I provide, using a standardized 'satisfaction index'. By rescuing him, I can increase my ratio of cost-benefit to the town for a higher net benefit with the both of us alive."

Basically, saying that he's more useful to the town than me and I would be more useful than normal in retrieving him.


You find the town hall to be quite busy - several assistants run back and forth with stacks of papers, while a line of petitioners waits for their complaints to be resolved. Once in a while there is a voice of outrage as another petitioner can't get the help he asks for. From what you can gather, most have come to complain about the problems with waste disposal, and some want a credit to their business until the torch problem is resolved. Petitions are not processed fast - the new supplicants are coming quicker.

As you approach the secretary, a balding man in mended glasses, he attempts to shoo you away and tells you to get in line. But upon hearing that you are about to undertake a rescue operation for Khonnir, he jumps up from his desk and motions you to follow him.

"You have to excuse my brusqueness", he tells you as he leads you to a sturdy double door. "The council is nearly paralyzed these days - Councilors Otterbie and Kyte are working to coordinate the solutions for the waste disposal, Councilor Murgrave has been sick with headache for the last three days, and now Councilor Baine is missing too! So Councilor Freddert has to manage all the work by herself and it's not easy. But she's an amazing woman, she is. Torch is all her life - she was here when the town was founded, and she will keep it running until Torag takes her. Well, good luck in your endeavour!"

He opens the door to the council room and ushers you in. Inside you see a round table with 5 seats, but only one of them is occupied. An elderly dwarven woman lifts her head from a pile of papers she is signing and greets you with a tired but intense stare. "Please state your business. As you can see, I don't have much time."
- Ma'am, those andr... people say that they want to go look for master Baine, so I thought you would be interested in talking to them...

The woman rises up from her chair and approaches you energetically, giving the three of you an appraising look. "Thank you Rem, you can leave us now."

"So, it looks like Khonnir's fascination with constructed people is serving him well. It is commendable of you to step up to the task where so many before you have failed, including one of our greatest. Tell me, are you not afraid to perish down there? And what do you want me to do for you? I am afraid I can't give you any advance payment if this is why you came, for between the rewards for reigniting the torch and Khonnir's recovery, and the current problems the town has, we don't have any spare funds left."


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike

Baleiro will provide the same explanation he had given Fifteen, and add that he's not looking for any money, but could use some climbing gear if the areas below are difficult to navigate.


Male Android Gestalt Seeker Inquisitor 1/Fighter 1, hp 8 / 12 (used repairing nanites)

To Fifteen before we left:

"Your father's interest in me and genuine care for my well-being turned Torch from a mere collective gathered for mutual protection from the wild to a real home for me. He taught me how to process the data I gather from others and use it earn their trust, overcoming the natural disdain many have for our kind, and the social awkwardness I used to feel. I believe he brought me several steps closer to fulfilling my purpose, even if that purpose is creating my own. It may sound like circular logic, but I have found it both comforts and drives me. Such is a hard debt to repay."

To Councilor Freddert:

"There is nothing I require, lest you have a bow commensurate to my strength, but any information you can disclose as to what we may face will be of value."


- (Female) Living Weapon/Numerian Scavenger 2
Fifteen:
(Android) HP: 8/20 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +1 | Init: +6 | Perc: +8 SM: +6 Stealth: +9 DD:+14 | 30ft Speed | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Active conditions:

"Why would we want money beforehand?" Fifteen asks, somewhat confused. "We haven't done anything yet." After the question hangs in air for a few seconds she continues. "Where did my father go? He was very secretive at home. What can you tell us about the previous expeditions?"


"Four teams went out to explore the caverns in all, but only one came back to report what they found — Khonnir’s first expedition. Khonnir spoke at length with the council before going back in, and he confirmed what his group told us, despite how outlandish it sounded. The first team was a group of halfling adventurers, the second a group of local thugs, and the fourth a small adventuring party devoted to the worship of Brigh from out of town. Khonnir’s team undertook the third and fifth expeditions under Black Hill, and it was on the fifth expedition — his second trip — that he went missing."

"I'm not sure if you will need climbing gear, but what you would definitely require is some means of underwater swimming, as the entrance to the caverns lies beneath the Weeping Pond. Go find Councilor Joram Kyte and tell him I sent you - he will grant you a water breathing spell, as he did for Khonnir's group. You can find him either in the temple of Brigh or up at Crowfeather Palace. Should you find yourself in need of other equipment, take the writ I'll write for you - it will grant you a 20% discount at the local stores. That's the best I can offer right now."

"After the torch first went out, Khonnir went out to the Weeping Pond to test the waters and ensure they haven't gotten more toxic. When he returned, he told us that he noticed a large number of human footprints on the pond’s banks, as if a sizable group of people had entered the pond but had not emerged. Word about town puts blame on the Technic League, but I think that’s too convenient and obvious an answer. Khonnir was hoping to find out more by delving deeper into the caves. When he returned from his first expedition, he reported that the caves are inhabited by several enormous vermin and other scavengers, along with some strange humanoids who had the ability to blend into the shadows of the cave walls, and a nest of gremlins. Khonnir believed this indicated a deeper connection in the caves to the Darklands, but of more immediate interest was his discovery of a wall of solid metal deep in the caves. A wall made of an iron/adamantite alloy called glaucite. He said it was like the kind we mine from the hills and surrounding plains, but formed into a structure with doors.
It was near one of these doors that Khonnir found the broken automaton that he brought back after his first expedition. He said that one of the doors in the wall was locked tight but the other was open. He had planned on exploring deeper beyond that door on his second expedition, but who knows if he actually made it that far?"


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike

Baleiro will nod. "Assessment received. Appreciation expressed... err, thank you." he replies.


Male Android Gestalt Seeker Inquisitor 1/Fighter 1, hp 8 / 12 (used repairing nanites)

"Gremlins...accessing..."

Nature: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

"...file not found."


- (Female) Living Weapon/Numerian Scavenger 2
Fifteen:
(Android) HP: 8/20 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +1 | Init: +6 | Perc: +8 SM: +6 Stealth: +9 DD:+14 | 30ft Speed | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Active conditions:

Fifteen nods, showing little emotion at the explanation of her father's likely fate. "Thank you for the information. We will begin immediately." Turning, she leaves the room and passes through the crowded building swiftly.

"We should try the temple first to acquire the spell. Unless you need additional supplies first?

Assuming the others are ready
Fifteen leads the way swiftly to the temple of Brigh. Knocking before she enters, despite the open doors, she marches up to the first person she sees. "Do you know where Councilor Kyte is?" She asks, all business.


The domed portico of the temple is decorated by clockwork statues and bronze wind chimes that make an oddly melodic sound as Fifteen opens the door. The first person she sees introduces himself as the temple shopkeeper.
"You're in luck, High Priest Kyte has just returned to his workshop over there. Though I have to warn you, if you came to ask him about crafting something for you, this might not be the best time - how about purchasing some premade goods instead?"
The shop sells divine, clockwork and technology-themed items under 2400gp, plus a flare gun, a scroll of find traps (CL 10th), three scrolls of restoration, a scroll of raise dead, and a wand of rebuke technology(11 charges).

Councilman Joram Kyte turns out to be a balding man with grey hair on his temples and a kindly smile. His leather work apron has countless pockets filled with all sorts of crafty tools and intricate instruments. He holds a softly glowing rod in one hand, and a feminine mask made of bronze in another. He listens to your story attentively, and nods in appreciation.
"Truly, your race might be one of the most wondrous creations of the Whisper in Bronze. Go forth with Her blessing, and may the probability distribution favor you."
He puts the mask in front of his face and intones a short prayer, as if whispering to it, and the rod's glow becomes more intense. You feel a strange sensation - your body doesn't actually feel anything, but you sense a strange supernatural breeze wafting over you for a moment.
"Remember, the spell will last no longer than 8 hours. Return by sunset, even if you aren't successful. Val wouldn't stand to lose a sister along with her father."


Male Android Gestalt Seeker Inquisitor 1/Fighter 1, hp 8 / 12 (used repairing nanites)

"Thank you, Councilman." Rur looks around the shop in wonder. He has met others that worship Brigh, and considered doing so himself for a time. He turns to his companions. "I have have everything I need, and am ready if you are."


- (Female) Living Weapon/Numerian Scavenger 2
Fifteen:
(Android) HP: 8/20 | AC: 16 (14 Tch, 12 Fl) | CMB: +3, CMD: 17 | F: +4, R: +7, W: +1 | Init: +6 | Perc: +8 SM: +6 Stealth: +9 DD:+14 | 30ft Speed | Martial Flex: 3/4 | Active conditions:

"Then let us move quickly. There is no reason to wait." Fifteen nods politely to Kyte and turns on her heel once again to leave the building and make haste down to the Weeping Pond. As you travel down the streets if becomes apparent that no animals seem willing to approach Fifteen, more than the normal reluctance of animals any household pet Fifteen gets near actively retreats, or hisses and bares its teeth.

The high pitched whining sound coming from Fifteen might be the explanation for this - it is apparent that the sound oscillates at a pitch much too high for humans to hear, but the enhanced senses of androids can pick it up on the upper range of hearing.

Just a fluff explanation of Fifteen's Warded against Nature drawback


HP 23/23; AC 16; Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +3; +4 vs. paralysis, poison, and stun, -2 vs. mind-affecting, emotion, and fear. Defensive Abilities constructed; Immune disease, exhaustion, fatigue, sleep; Rage 8/8;
Extracts:
Cure Light Wounds, Shield, True Strike

Baleiro will move with the two, considering his options to assist. He straps his pack on and tucks the scabbard of his weapon through it, so it could be carried, but it wasn't anywhere as easy to draw as when he held it.


The Weeping Pond lies across the town, on the other side of the Black Hill. No vegetation grows on the banks of this pond, and the waters carry a bitter stink of sulfur and other chemicals, enough to make the eyes water after spending too much time on the shore.
It is in these foul waters that you have to submerge yourselves, and while you instinctively hold your breath for a couple of minutes, after a while your lungs give out and you have to inhale the tainted liquid. The water is cold and repulsive, but the magic still allows you to draw oxygen from it.
Fort save DC 15 vs poison or be sickened for 1 minute after you leave the water.
Following the underwater current, you enter a narrow subterranean stream, which slopes slightly upward for 30 feet or so before a soft luminance signals the proximity of the surface. You surface in a damp underground cave, the water being about 2-feet deep and still giving the same eye-watering stench. Dampness hangs in the air of this cave, condensing into heavy moisture on the slick, stone walls. The calm, dark waters wind around to the east up north, along a stony, soot-scarred beach.
A five-foot-high ledge sporting several stalagmites rises to the east, beyond which a low-ceilinged cave beckons. The source of the light becomes readily apparent, as three glowing beetles the size of a large dog move hungrily towards you!

Initiative:

Rur: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Fifteen: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Baleiro: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Beetle1: 1d20 ⇒ 1
Beetle2: 1d20 ⇒ 8
Beetle3: 1d20 ⇒ 17

Action order: Beetle3, Fifteen, Baleiro, Beetle2, Rur, Beetle1


I remember I could easily paste images directly from pdfs onto the first slide, but for some reason now I have to save them to an image file first and upload - very annoying!

The first beetle approaches Fifteen and attempts to bite off a toe!
Atk: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Dmg: 1d4 ⇒ 4
But it just leaves a scratch mark on her leather boot.

Action order: Beetle3, Fifteen, Baleiro, Beetle2, Rur, Beetle1

1 to 50 of 307 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Iron Gestalts gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.