Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Iobarian horror (Inactive)

Game Master ulgulanoth


101 to 150 of 1,284 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

The water is very deep and there is something bad at the bottom. I believe it is a good thing I did not step forward any farther. I think it was a trap to make us sink to our doom. I do not like my chances of swimming in full plate armor too well.

action note:
]If we are out of combat rounds, Uriel will begin to back out of the pool. If we are still in combat then I guess Uriel's turn is up (he took a full round to see the whole cone instead of a move action concentrated on a single person. Also, if still in combat, then Uriel is speaking in celestial as should have been his warning of an illusion, my mistake on that.

Dark Archive Star Voter 2013

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

if you don't go into the deep water then combat is up


When I bgan to concentrate to determine where our evil illusion making "friend" was, I determined that there is evil deep wihin the pool, about 40 feet deep. I think we may need to make some "adjustments" before going further into the deep. Anyone care to run through that stone "wall" to dismiss it? Uriel states, quite certain that the wall blocking their exit is another illusion. He then backs farther away from the deep area of the pool.


Let us keep a wary eye on the water then, but we need to investigate this cave further before we attack anything.


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

"I also think this is a trap if we go into the water any deeper." I could make a rock glow with light and then drop it into the dark water to see if we can see anything or how deep the water is."[/b]


That sounds like a good idea, Ian. I'm not sure how far we will be able to explore this cave since it ends shortly past where the fish-thing illusion was. Is it possible that whatever evil force is at the bottom of the pool has been creating illusions to lure its victims in? Then, each victim goes missing and more victims come looking for it, only to be caught by another illusion. Anyone in particular wishing to go for a swim?


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Ian casts a light on his rock and drops it into the bottom of the cave. He responds "Going into water I do not know how deep it is not a great idea." Ian then toses the rock into the water to see if he can see anything in the depth.

Dark Archive Star Voter 2013

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

the rock sinks down far, you get a glimps of the fish creature for a few seconds before it swims away, the rock eventually sinks beyond a point where you can see it


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Did I see how far down the stone wall went underwater? Also is there any gravel or dirt or is it solid rock near where the wall is and how saturated is the soil.If it is saturated I sort of wish I had a lot of sacks and some sand.I do have a shovel.

Dark Archive Star Voter 2013

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

about 1000ft before it disappeared, the ground is solid rock all around


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Ian responds "Wow that water is deep like a well striaght to the darklands. We would not be able to hold our breath long enough to reach the bottom of that."


When it was stated we saw the fish creature swim away, did that mean swim away "down" or perhaps away through a cross passage? Also, is the "stone wall" blocking the exit still there?

Perhaps we could permanently seal off this cave to the outside? But, if as I think, this cave exits also deep under the sea, it might not do any good

Dark Archive Star Voter 2013

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

the creature whent down, the "stone wall" is still there


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Ian rseponds to Ureil "We also do not know how many other caves there are like this. Anyway I think we should also look for tracks of others that have been here to see if they all are disapering to here."

surviaval to find other tracks in the cave.
1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15

Dark Archive Star Voter 2013

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

Ian

Spoiler:
you find a very faint pair of tracks leading off deeper into the cave, they look humanoid, muddy boot prints


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Do they look similar to the same bootprints from before?We never got a discription.

Ian flips through his footprint book to try to find more information on what the footprints.
knowledge local
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Dark Archive Star Voter 2013

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

no their different, and not local footprints


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Ian muses "I found a different set of footprints then the ones I found leading in here and they do not look from around here. There is no evidence in here other than in the cave where we will drown so let us follow them back to where they came from and we may find out more information. "

following tracks backward
1d20 + 13 ⇒ (11) + 13 = 24


Excellent idea, Ian.

With that, Uriel begins to look over the tracks and make sure not to disturb them.

mechanics:

aid another, 10 or better adds two to Ian's roll IIRC
survival (track) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


Eventually, you two see an elf in fine, yet relaxed clothing with a bow over his shoulder. It seems he's been watching your progress at trying to track him. He has a scarf in his hand.

"I take it you're trying to find the children as well? I've been looking around, but I've found no signs of anything aside from this scarf."

The elf presents the scarf to the group, then pulls an ioun torch from his pocket and lets it float around his head for better light. "My name is Caelash Suul, and I was hired by the children's mother to find them. With my luck, and yours by the looks of it, perhaps we should join forces on this?" Caelash smiles an awkward smile, but is sincere in his offer of camaraderie.


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Ian replies to Caelish "I agree we should work together to find the children."


Caelash looks at the other two and inquires, "Guns and armor, huh? I've never been partial to armor, myself, and haven't seen many firearms. Interesting."

Caelash has a look of sudden realization, and he motions behind him to his left.

"This is Sprocket, my friend I call upon from time to time." Sprocket eyes you both critically, then wags his tail.


For the children then.


"Any clues as to where they may be? I've searched this cave... and it's like they vanished."

Caelash ponders a moment. "Do you think the townsfolk could be lying to us?"


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Ian responds "Do not think so but the water in this cave is very deep I put a light spell on a rock and dropped it down. We also saw glismes of a fish thing in the water. We also saw some illusions of an unknown source in this cave."


"Any indication as to whether the fish was responsible for the illusions? I was too busy prodding the depths of these back caves, it seems, to have noticed them. How real were they? What were they of? Could you interact with them?"

Caelash ponders the description to see if anything comes to mind...

Knowledge (arcana) 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18
Knowledge (nature) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Knowledge (planes) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
Knowledge (religion) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Ian replies"One of the illusions was off a fish like itself taht was a fake creature used as a lure to draw us into the deep water. We saw through it and it kept swimming away from any light. It also made an illusion of a boy and drag it underwater. It is like it knew what we were searching for."


Sorry, but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and I am a little stymied as to what step to take next.


waiting on Knowledge results...

Dark Archive Star Voter 2013

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

Caelash

Spoiler:
you have a feeling that the fish creature might have been an Aboleth, an evil creature known for its ability to cast illusions


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Ian asks "Have any clue what it is." Ian then peers at Caelash's feet to make sure he was not going to follow Caelash's tracks back to the town.

I read Caelash's description and it does not say wearing boots so assuming not same tracks as party member.


Ian Wronski wrote:
I read Caelash's description and it does not say wearing boots so assuming not same tracks as party member.

Consider them boot-soled sandals, much like Mediterranean-type sandals, to avoid confusion. :) It was likely a slip.

"I've got a hunch that it's a creature known as an Aboleth, but I'm not certain. I've heard a few stories, and read about them in passing, but I've never encountered one. Evil, primordial, enormous fish that can cast illusions. I can't remember much more, but they are fearsome from what I recall."

Caelash rubs his chin for a moment, then says, "If we set out tomorrow, I have some magic that can help us in maneuver watery environments, but I have no way to help us breathe underwater. Any ideas?"


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Ian says "I have no way for us to breathe underwater either. I do wonder if we could find a way to lure it above water without making our presence known but what if it spots us. Although I do not think simple fishing fishing bait will work It was pretty big."


"Is it salt water or fresh water? Do we know how far down it goes or where it leads?"


"If it is deep, or leads to a massive body of water, then we cannot feasibly drain the pool. If we could gather enough explosives, we could stun it, potentially, if we could time it properly and the fuse goes off in time. Magic could aid us, but we know little about this creature, other than it is evil, can create illusions, and is at home in the water."

Caelash paces as he talks, "Can either of you ward against evil? I can summon creatures that can swim, and can give us the ability to swim. Perhaps we could fill large wineskins with air and weight them equal to their buoyancy?"

Caelash stops and considers options. "Doubtful that we can make or acquire a large enough net, but maybe if we had enough rope we could convince the townsfolk to create one on short order. It won't stop something very large, but would slow its mobility in the water, which we need. Better still if we can tether it to something immobile...or mobile. How many draft horses could we muster on short order? If we can lure the beast nearer the surface and net it, we could then have a team of horses pull it into the cave to give us the upper hand. Perhaps we could even have a second net ready to cover the pool's top to prevent its escape. Thoughts?"


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Ian replies "we have four horses outside. Also how will we manuever this giant net. How do we not know it will not just sit at the bottom while we are here. As to whether it is salt of fresh water I did not check but I just thought of a way. Also we need to figure out why the villagers are going so far off from the village when they leave and what lures them here as well could be really helpful." Ian goes up to the water cups his hand draws a little of it up and casts prestidigitation to dry the water up with a spell looking for residue.


I can ward against evil but it would be of limited duration.

Anyone have a powderkeg and a way to make it explode underwater? That would knock the innards out of that fish thing.

Dark Archive Star Voter 2013

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

Ian, you see a small amount of salt residue on your hands


"Saltwater. That helps us determine what sorts of creatures are suitable to summon, if we need them. We could monitor the cave to see if anyone else shows up, and why... or we could convince some villagers to act as bait. There are lots of options if it stays at the bottom."

Caelash looks to Ian, "The nets won't be that heavy; a single horse could lift one of them, by my estimate. We could spend a bit more for silk rope and make it stronger and lighter. We could also drop it with weights. There are lots of options if we pursue this course. The main problem is figuring out how to get it to come back. It will come back if history is an indicator; unless the townsfolk are lying to us about some details, this has been going on for some time now. It will likely occur again."

A grim look overtakes Caelash's face. "We cannot find trace of the children, or any of the villagers here. Let's try once more, and take our time. (take 20, Perception/Survival, if allowed) If there is still no trace of them, we have a few likely possibilities: the villagers are all dead and we cannot save them, so we must focus on battling this beast; the villagers are either alive or dead, but something or someone has eliminated all trace of their passing; or... and I fear the results of this the most, the villagers are playing some devious game, and there never were any missing villagers. There is no trace of them."

If the party mentions the illusion of the boy and monster, that will further confirm Caelash's growing suspicions that this is some sort of trap/lure for the party and others like us, and not the story the villagers told us

Also, where did I get this scarf? Was it found in the caves, or given to me by the mother before I left to help find them?


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Ian replies [b]"I have only 100 feet of silk rope. I can summon some creatures as well. Ian then says then whose tracks did we follow to get to this cave is another problem with that hypothesis. I sincerely doubt the boy has mastered magic as powerful as teleportation."


"So there were actual tracks... were there any others? even hints of tracks from before? As many villagers have disappeared, there should at least be some trace. If we all search, maybe we'll turn up more clues. I do not want to assume the worse yet."

The whole rope idea is to explain how we'd be capable of purchasing nets capable of snaring an enormous creature. I don't want to march into town and say, "I'd like to buy a Large/Huge/Gargantuan net, please," and have fisherman Steve say, "I have just the thing, my boy!" Breaks verisimilitude. :)


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Ian says"I did only see this one set of tracks but was intent on following them maybe if we looked outside for this area. The soft ground outside from the rain is more likely to have tracks show up so looking outside might be a better option as the ground is softer."


Caelash pulls out a small turtle from under his loose shirt, and calls sprocket to him.

"Time to look around, friends."

Ekahuei and Sprocket take 10 on Perception and Survival in order to aid another. (+4 each)

Caelash totals:

Perception: 36
Survival: 28


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

Ian also tries to look for tracks as carefully as he can take 20. Total

totals survival total 33 35 for humans from favored enemy not forggeting track this time.

Ian offers a suggestion "If you find anything I have a book on different footprints that might help indentify what we find.".


Ian, did you include aid another rolls from your pets/eidolons/whatevers? They can make them untrained, take 10 or whatever, and give you a +2 bonus per check.


male half elf level 1 ranger(horselord)/summoner level 2 cavailer/druid level 3 ranger(horselord) /cleric level 4 fighter(mounted fury)/bard level 5 gunslinger/rouge(scout) level 6 cavalier/summoner level 7 ranger/ summoner

no I forgot from MArie horse

Ian summons a hiary humaonoid and says "this is polynium he is rather shy." to get more of a bonus for +4. And they both take 10. so add 4 to my previous totals.


Over the next few minutes, the party and their companions scour every inch of the caves and surrounding area, leaving not a stone unturned.


I hope we come up with something here. Bugler here is a trained tracker. So, he should be able to help out some, Uriel states as they come outside.

This is Seket he states and points to the small snake like creature with a human-like face, two arms, and a mane of fire red hair.

Pleased to meet you. No luck yet with finding the children? she completes with a sad look in her eyes.

There is an aboleth at work here Uriel continues. With that, Seket let out a hiss and Uriel quickly continued, You know of them?

No, but it doesn't sound pleasant she confessed.

With that, Uriel put away his sword and drew forth his pistol.

Dark Archive Star Voter 2013

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

after searching meticulously for a long time, you find a hole that was conceal by a larger bolder blocking it at the far end of the cave, near to were the scarf was found, the hole is filled with fungus, slime and seaweed, it smells of rotting flesh, decaying fish and salt. the hole is big enough for medium sized creatures to craw throw or a small sized creature to walk throw but larger creatures won't fit.


Uriel peers inside the hole.

mechanics:

Detect Evil (Sp) at will, range 60 feet, as the spell

Spell description detect evil, d20pfsrd

d20pfsrd wrote:


You can sense the presence of evil. The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area or subject.

1st Round: Presence or absence of evil.

2nd Round: Number of evil auras (creatures, objects, or spells) in the area and the power of the most potent evil aura present.

If you are of good alignment, and the strongest evil aura's power is overwhelming (see below), and the HD or level of the aura's source is at least twice your character level, you are stunned for 1 round and the spell ends.

3rd Round: The power and location of each aura. If an aura is outside your line of sight, then you discern its direction but not its exact location.

101 to 150 of 1,284 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Iobarian horror All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.